Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the blind chef thing, I went to a restaurant in pitch dark last year, all the staff were blind. Was amazing.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        On the blind chef thing, I went to a restaurant in pitch dark last year, all the staff were blind. Was amazing.
        I’ve heard about that place (and other place that are simply in the dark). Would be very interested to try it out. Just from a perception point of view.
        What was it like?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
          Can anyone give the cliffs on the equality debate that's going on here (not reading these long multiquoted posts, no offence to anyone posting)?
          Liberal people who seemingly don't understand the difference between equality and equity

Liberal people who seemingly don't understand that their liberal ideal doesn't really function unless there is some form of equity/equality in place before espousing the fairness of the market

One person of questionable self-esteem labeling people without using any of the basic follow up questions to see their viewpoint gets offended when spoken to in same manner he uses

His alt-right imbued alter ego weighing in with Roganesque sloganeering

...Various mudslinging from two sides of the same coin

Last edited by Guest; 17-07-20, 12:38.

Comment

On the one hand the discussion has been about creating equality of opportunity between those who have been gifted advantages and those who face systemic disadvantage. Can't see anything controversial there
            On the other hand there are some who continue to fantasize that there is an agenda to promote some concept of equality of ability, why they would think that is beyond me its clearly nonsense and no examples are given.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

955f800a7ce1e86893302a47341781d6--tintin-poster-album-tintin.jpg
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Come on Hotspur read up and keep this fire lit . Tis fierce entertainment be god.

Comment

Are any of you old enough to remember when 'eeny meeny miny moe' had the n-word replaced with tiger? The wikipedia page is a bit lacking in details, as I think it must have been about 1979, around the same time the 'B&W minstrel show' was cancelled.
                      Last edited by ComradeCollie; 17-07-20, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’ve heard about that place (and other place that are simply in the dark). Would be very interested to try it out. Just from a perception point of view.
                        What was it like?
                        I actually think it was exactly one year ago today, here was my review from the time:

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        We were talking about having wines blindly on here recently, and telling the difference. So I did a blind tasting menu in Barcelona with paired wines this week, an amazing present from a wonderful girl I met a couple of months ago. I've always wanted to do one! I didn't know what to expect from the experience, I thought I'd be blindfolded but I wasn't. It was so much more than that.

We arrived to the swanky looking upstairs area to be greeted by a glass of Cava and an explanation of everything that would happen from the host. Being the only person there that did not speak Spanish (my partner in crime is Brazilian and they appear to get Spanish as a bit of a freebie, mildly kidding, she is great with languages but they have an easier time of it) he explained once to everybody and then stared directly at me, the gringo, to explain everything again while all and sundry stood waiting, hangry eyes boring into me. He seemed to give up at some point but she told me the rest.

The serving staff member came to greet us, she was blind, all the serving staff there are. It was to be an experience of what it was like for them. We were to forgo all things that could possibly emit light and were to stand in a particular order so that you could be matched sitting across a table with your dinner partner.

We lined up and started to go down a ramp underground, with no source of light whatsoever for the rest of the evening. To even navigate to dinner I had to put my hand on a girls shoulder, as we conga'd our way deeper.

It was an interesting experience even getting seated at that point, and hearing a full dining room of people that you can't see, being led by a blind woman that couldn't speak English, with no idea of the layout of the room was quite intriguing. I eventually found my seat, alongside a wall. I was quite happy to even touch anything around me after the void.

I could hear my partners voice from a mere few feet away but yet could see nothing, a voice with no source. I love it. It's quite funny how you act with each other at that point, unbridled of anybody seeing you. Reaching out for contact, touching faces and so on. You certainly feel a lot more free to do whatever you want. If you are into exhibitionism, this dinner is for you.

Over the next few hours we had an amazing time, each plate would come out with an assortment of "things" on it that you would gleefully stick your hands into, cutlery ignored. Initial confusion sets in as our plates seem different, only to quickly realise one of us will have to invert ours so that they are matching. Discussing what things are together is the most fun, to be hilariously wrong about some at the end! Especially as it is fine dining and they trick you, an aged tomato tastes of aubergine, a snap pea of a bamboo shoot, wtf is fennel anyway?

Glasses of wine are brought, instructions are relayed to me in Spanish and I hope for the best, my partner helping out a lot at this stage. Raise your hand, move your plate, a glass is coming! Lucky to have her or I wouldn't have a clue. Even setting the glass down becomes an endeavour. We settle for placing both glasses on one side of the table, leaving the other side open for contact.

Proprioception becomes apparent as you know exactly how your hands are shaped, where they are positioned, but nothing outward of yourself. A chair scrapes 30 feet away, a glass of wine falls to the floor next to us, that was destined for me. To the servers, this is all aspects of their life - you get an awareness of how hard it is for them, but mostly you get drunk.

For the wine colour taste test 3 glasses of wine are brought - one per two courses, we agree on the first. At the second, and I hoped this would happen, there was disagreement! I think one, she thinks another! We talk about why each of us thinks the way we do, she says she can nearly name the grape, she has a lot more experience in fine dining restaurants and with wine, I panic! Am I so sure of myself after all?! On the third wine we rosé again, agreeing. It makes me think that my second choice was wrong.

Once the dinner was complete we stood up and conga'd our way back out of the cavern. When I hit light my eyes exploded, and it took a little while to adjust. We were then shown pictures of what we ate which was very funny and finally all were gathered to guess about the wines. From the first wine reveal there were groans, already so many people had failed at the first hurdle, and these looked like people that drink wine for their living. The second one is the hardest we are told, it is chosen on purpose to confuse you. I am so smug when be brings the bottle up from behind the counter! A few hours of well earned jesting will ensue. On the third we get that one correct also, I'm not sure even one other person got them right and tbh, I was wavering with a lot of doubt. In general, over 90% of people get it wrong we are told. It's definitely more a paring and specific wine thing trying to trick you than anything. Headed off to our airbnb to play drunken Brazilian card games.

I ate a lot tasting menus in Barcelona, and other good meals - there was better food to be had but this was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. A full body sensory experience as they had told us from the outset.

Obligatory picture:

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                          Are any of you old enough to remember when 'eeny meeny miny moe' had the n-word replaced with tiger? The wikipedia page is a bit lacking in details, as I think it must have been about 1979, around the same time the 'B&W minstrel show' was cancelled.
                          I thought that was very compassionate. If he squeals let him go .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            At the very least we need to change Lao Lao's tagline to 'hostile mickey' to honour this event
                            Where can I sign the petition to make this happen?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                              In Galway we were definitely using the n-word in the early/mid-80s anyhow, and I remember the minstrels around in the 80s too!

Comment

Comment

Isnt it time we had some blind white superstars ? Dem blicks have cornered the market.

Comment

Always feel uncomfortable with the 'white' label. Remember being in the UK for undergrad where the Irish were clearly the shit whites. Hence Roddy Doyle describing us memorably as 'the blacks of europe'. And then there's those hundreds of years of servitude under the English - I know none of us lived through that, but our ancestors did, being worse than second class citizens because of our ethnicity. And those generations of Irish-Americans following the famine being treated awfully. And then suddenly we're white in the same privileged historic group as some aryan fuck whose ancestors ran slave farms. I do realise the Irish now have some sort of privilege due to grown wealth, but mentally it feels odd to classify us along with some master racers which is what the 'white' label really means when it is used.
                                    Irish people did some pretty appalling shit too. Check out our (horrible) record as slave drivers in the West Indian sugar plantations for example.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

An estimated 200,000 Irish born soldiers fought for the North in the US Civil War (of course mainly due to economic reasons, but still) and the population of Ireland strongly supported the anti-slavery movement in the 19th century (as did the Brits, in fact they were the ones driving it worldwide), just for a bit of balance I don't feel too guilty about being Irish, I have to say, ain't got time for that! We as a people didn't profit enough from slavery, colonialism, etc... to let it keep us up at night IMHO.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-07-20, 15:30.

Comment

My ancestors didn't though. They didn't leave Laois for the last 2000 years. Just farmed the land and burned a few witches for the common good. So why would I be judged based on my ethnicity? I'm not getting into something stupid like white lives matter or all lives matter. But the average Irish person comes from a long line of people who did nothing except farm bad land in semi-destitution and economic slavery for a few thousand years. Irish people have never been considered as regular 'whites'.

And maybe Polish people once did something bad. They seem like the type who would. But what has that got to do with my earlier example of the Polish lad working in centra living in a converted toilet. A not too far from the average example of a Polish person in Ireland. And that person has to apologise for his white privelige.

I was just getting at elshambo describing this as some sort of white privilege. It's a long way from those 'no blacks, no Irish, no dogs' posters hat now we've somehow inherited privilege as a result of our skin colour. The Irish specifically I'm talking about really, we were never really considered proper white anywhere in the other white world, always second class. I don't mind apologising for the sins of all white people, it's just that we've always been in the oppressed group, and it seems strange we're now in the same class as aryan fuckers and rednecks.
                                          Oh yeah, not saying I feel any weight of historical guilt whatsoever.

I'd obviously much rather be Aryan than redneck though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Irish people did some pretty appalling shit too. Check out our (horrible) record as slave drivers in the West Indian sugar plantations for example.
                                            Must resist posting Father Ted Protestants Up To No Good Again meme
                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              I asked a really straightforward question as I was curious where the attitude was coming from. I'm still curious.
                                              I think there is a chance we are talking at cross-purposes and taking each other up wrong. If that's so I don't want to go down the road of getting more and more entrenched, as I respect your views on most things and would hate to think we were arguing on something we fundamentally agree on because we are having two different arguments.

I wasn't trying to answer HJ's question really, more fleshing out the position I thought he was making. We clearly disagree on how to address in-built racist/sexist/etc advantages but at least we agree that they have to be addressed. If I came across as condescending I apologise, it's an unfortunate side-effect of almost always seeming condescending. Your ad hominems were a little uncalled for if you ask me, as were mine.
                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Ole did you ever get this project finished or did I miss the grand opening?

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                BBQ hut update !

Was waiting over a week on a few bolts and screws, but they came in the end.

Big shout out to Mellor for his help.

I stained the joists and purlins last week and started the roof also.
                                                SPOILER

Bondex ebony was the colour i think.

Then onto sheeting and Flashing, the flash band had me concerned, very few tutorials on youtube but in the end was not as bad as i had expected, could be better like most stuff, but im happy enough with it.

Half the sheets up this evening,

Certainly not sparing the screws !

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Almighty BBV

We have our club champs on next weekend and I’d like to run a book on it for shits n giggles.

I have a list of everyone’s handicap and potential flights.

Could someone help me create a book? Will send beers as a thank you.
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well I'm robbing that quote!
                                                        Maybe replace 'condescending' with 'nervous and insecure'.

Comment

Another beautiful lady in my life, 6lb 14, am in love.

Mama and bombolito flying it

Restrictions lifted just two days ago too, so I can visit every day.

This day is one of the good ones.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                            Almighty BBV

We have our club champs on next weekend and I’d like to run a book on it for shits n giggles.

I have a list of everyone’s handicap and potential flights.

Could someone help me create a book? Will send beers as a thank you.
                                                            This what you mean?

Work out the percentage chance of everyone based on your knowledge of their play. It should add up to exactly 100% (i.e., by definition someone will win, 100% guaranteed)
                                                            Then multiply every percentage you've come up with by 1.5 just to give yourself a bookies margin. e.g., if you reckon BillyBob has a 10% chance of winning then use 10 x 1.5 = 15%.
                                                            Finally use a site like this...
                                                            https://www.aceodds.com/bet-calculat...converter.html
                                                            …. to convert the % chance into odds. e.g., if you type 15% into the implied probability box in the top right it gives you odds of roughly 5.5/1 (or decimal/American equivalents if people are more comfortable with them).
                                                            Use a bigger multiplier than 1.5 if you want to minimise the risk of having a losing book.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Nice wan man.
                                                              Delighted for you
                                                              ​​​​
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

ah they said it was grand.
                                                                Coincidentally, in the last 30 mins I found a clip in my father in laws ankle that has somehow remained hidden until now. Remember I commented on the wound not fully healing?
                                                                Hospital here we come. Or in the morning according to the Beacon.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                  Can anyone give the cliffs on the equality debate that's going on here (not reading these long multiquoted posts, no offence to anyone posting)?
                                                                  Hitch isn’t sure if it’s ok to not find a comedian with a speech impediment and terrible delivery funny. It’s been a bit of a spiral.

Comment

Congrats Conor, am absolutely chuffed for you!

Comment

Fairly sure it was Lao Lao's toxic aggressive mickey what started it

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                        Congrats Conor, am absolutely chuffed for you!
                                                                        Cheers Brian, am on cloud 9 here

Comment

Cheers Brian, am on cloud 9 here
                                                                          Too many kids in the village . Stop this immediately.

Great stuff all the same . Congrats.

Comment

And then there's those hundreds of years of servitude under the English - I know none of us lived through that...
                                                                            Ahem... six counties, discrimination, civil rights, British army. I’ll let your imagination do the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leeds are back theyll last 3 seasons . Autumn , Winter and Spring .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                Leeds are back theyll last 3 seasons . Autumn , Winter and Spring .
                                                                                GFYS. They have a great (if crazy) manager. Can't believe it been 16 years.

Cool fact:

1963/64: Liverpool win Division One, Leeds United win Division Two and Coventry City win Division Three.

2019/20: Liverpool win the Premier League, Leeds United win the Championship and Coventry City win League One.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Don't know the exact count. Think we are at about 60%. We need 80/90% to make it happen depending on the price per % so if anyone else has an interest in taking a piece please sign up here. Ask yourself this?

Do you really want to be the guy on IPB not cheering on the horsey going into the final day? That would suck.

Comment

Jumoed into my first ever Bracelet Event. Bit late but 25bbs to work with. Expect to be hot on Helmuths tail by end of next month

Edit - nvm
                                                                                    Last edited by Dice75; 17-07-20, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                      Jumoed into my first ever Bracelet Event. Bit late but 25bbs to work with. Expect to be hot on Helmuths tail by end of next month

Edit - nvm
                                                                                      The 100 opener? Made day 2 yesterday. Only 20bb but enough for a spin on the final day. The numbers they are getting are mental. There was 3600 in for my flight alone. Wish I had of gambled it up a bit more to build a stack and shot another few days for a better stack.
                                                                                      Last edited by Opr; 17-07-20, 20:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The 100 opener? Made day 2 yesterday. Only 20bb but enough for a spin on the final day. The numbers they are getting are mental. There was 3600 in for my flight alone. Wish I had of gambled it up a bit more to build a stack and shot another few days for a better stack.
                                                                                        Yep, 1st ever hand in a WSOP Bracelet Event and I bust

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yep, 1st ever hand in a WSOP Bracelet Event and I bust
                                                                                          I nominate you for the big spin )))

Comment

Tidying up the rental house this evening prior to departure tomorrow morning when the landlady appeared. Thought she was most likely checking in to see what we had broken (surprisingly little) but no, she had come to say goodbye to the kids and have a 'competition' to see if they could guess the name of the big teddy left in one of the bedrooms. My youngest hit the jackpot with the inspired selection of Big Ted and she promptly presented her with a fiver and one for her brother.
                                                                                            This on top of a welcome pack that included beer, wine, milk, tea, bread, scones, butter, jam, chocolate, biscuits and sweets. Not to mention ample supplies of face masks and hand sanitiser.

Some hospitality tbf. I even got a copy of the Southern Star out of the deal. Ireland wins.

Comment

One of the best hardcore punk frontmen ever to grace a stage and a true hero to me growing up is gone.

Why I came to be touched (figuratively) by a gay chinaman from Canada as a 16 year old from south Derry is still a mystery.

One of my life’s great regrets is that I was at a hardcore show in Vancouver In the early 90s, maybe 50 or 60 people, and there he was with a couple of friends and I was too awestruck to say hello and tell him how much his music meant to me.

RIP Mr.Chi Pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 18-07-20, 11:55.

Comment

Enjoying watching Dublin GAA supporters on here making arguements in favour of levelling the playing field to negate privilege

Comment

Congrats, this popped into my head in Limerick style (blame RD111)

Another bundle presented with smiles
                                                                                                  He'd been wearing a groove in the tiles
                                                                                                  Many paths can be led
                                                                                                  Our fate is not sealed its bred
                                                                                                  In 2040 she breaks the 4 minute mile

Comment

My business school individually interviews all 5000 applicants for about 600 places each year. Massively competitive as everyone has already met very competitive academic qualifications. Each interview is a professor and an external (usually very successful) business person. What you consistently see is that anyone who has had any sort of struggle (through life, disability, ethnicity, whatever) always gets ranked on top. They've so clearly had to fight more to get to where they are so it's the obvious choice. That's consistently across a few hundred interviews with maybe 50-70 interview partners over the last five years. Never been explicitly stated either, it's just a thing.

Not saying 'problem solved', just that people innately want to make decisions to help solve the problem.
                                                                                                    So the pampered kids, with all the advantages, have no idea how to struggle and fight for what they want and often lack resilience. Probably correct that you are recognizing and rewarding these desirable qualities but are the 'advantaged' kids at a disadvantage in that they have had everything handed to them. Not being factious here and intrigued by the question of how to 'teach' resilience and fight. Could also go next level and ask the question why are these qualities still so disable and necessary in this day and age.

On the more general question of selection bias, I would argue the focus should be on removing irrelevant bias from the selection process. If an experiment gives you unreliable results, don't try to change the results by applying weightings or something, go back an change the experiment. Like the 'black' sounding name should never be a factor in the selection process. Probably scope for introducing automation, like verifiable credit ratings for work experience or personality tests, to help remove conscious, unconscious or deliberate bias. It should be possible to audit selection processes, like accounts, and penalize companies with substandard 'loaded' selection processes. Extended equality legislation and stiff penalties would also help. The Equality Acts 1998‐2004 have done a massive amount to balance things out in Ireland in my lifetime.
                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                        I think there is a chance we are talking at cross-purposes and taking each other up wrong. If that's so I don't want to go down the road of getting more and more entrenched, as I respect your views on most things and would hate to think we were arguingd feel on something we fundamentally agree on because we are having two different arguments.
                                                                                                        I think you are right and we are talking about two different things. I’ve no issue with a hiring bias to correct imbalances in a workforce as you describe.
                                                                                                        I think the intensity of bias and historical back tracking depends is case specific rather than a blanket rule.

I was genuinely curious about Hectorjelly’s logic and comments. I don’t think anyone should feel uncomfortable with the re-advantaging you describe.

I wasn't trying to answer HJ's question really, more fleshing out the position I thought he was making. We clearly disagree on how to address in-built racist/sexist/etc advantages but at least we agree that they have to be addressed. If I came across as condescending I apologise, it's an unfortunate side-effect of almost always seeming condescending. Your ad hominems were a little uncalled for if you ask me, as were mine.
                                                                                                        Ah you always come across as condescending, that didn’t bother me. Wasn’t trying to make an ad hominem argument, “better than that” was meant to dismiss the post, not the poster.
                                                                                                        I don’t think we necessarily disagree. I just think that’s more to it that a conceptual approach. Certainly anything discussion here won’t solve anything for any one. So happy to bury it.

Comment

Congrats Lazare
                                                                                                          Chuffed for you

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            Ole did you ever get this project finished or did I miss the grand opening?

Nearly there, a few small bits left and have to wire it for electricity. A few things i would change if i was doing it again, but sure isnt it all a learning curve.

Its great to have the room to cook and stay dry outside. Got a cheap hammock from amazon, 20€, nice to just swing in there when its raining.

IMG-20200624-142423.jpg

IMG-20200624-164353.jpg

IMG-20200624-183551.jpg

IMG-20200711-174200.jpg
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Coincidentally, in the last 30 mins I found a clip in my father in laws ankle that has somehow remained hidden until now. Remember I commented on the wound not fully healing?
                                                                                                              Hospital here we come. Or in the morning according to the Beacon.
                                                                                                              I had one work its way to the surface over a few months, went to my GP and his nurse was pulling and dragging, in the end sent me back to Galway and they removed it, ligation clip i think it was called.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Awesome news Lazare! Delighted for you.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Danny TylerD spotted me today. I didn't spot him.

I'm calling it the 'reverso hotspur'.

Comment

Finally out wesht for the first time since early February. Carrigaholt County Clare to eat all the seafood and drink all the Guinness. If you dont know it check it out. Highly recommended, pure bliss

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          Finally out wesht for the first time since early February. Carrigaholt County Clare to eat all the seafood and drink all the Guinness. If you dont know it check it out. Highly recommended, pure bliss
                                                                                                                          I guess that will ease the Liverpool pain for you somewhat. Enjoy.
                                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X