X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Hospital sent me a youtube video to watch which shows each of the steps you go through from arrival to departure - filmed with a real case of a patient in their hospital. Nice idea. 12 minutes long. The first 8 minutes is of how nice and clear everything is in the run up to the day - the room, all the staff smiling and helpful. Then the lady goes into surgery. She's a wee bit nervous but also nicely drugged up and generally looks like she's off to a fun day out. AND THEN the last 4 mins of the video starts with her being greeted in bed a few days later for a nice breakfast, going for a walk, meeting her friends, and out she goes to her happy new heart life. Cue uplifting music.

I think I speak for all potential patients with the doubt that maybe the three days cut from the journey in the film around the operation itself are rather critical to our reassurance of how to perceive the whole event.
      A You'll be writhing in agony cursing all your ancestors for conspiring to produce such a sickly descendant to suffer such unspeakable pain.

OR

B You'll be asleep.

I think B

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        Yeah the -inho suffix is common in Brazil. I recognised it from jiu jitsu. But suppose it’s common in football too (Ronaldinho). It’s a fairly intuitive language but pronunciation can be odd.

Old boss was Hungarian. Agree it’s Klingon.
        Do you learn much Portuguese from BJJ or just the curses ?

Almost everyone is -inho in Brazil. It's essentially Seanie, Deco as well as literally being "little" Sean. Adding -ao at the end of a name is the opposite (Big Sean) but its less common.

The best one though is footballers who use first names but not surname as they are long and double-barrelled from both parents. So the first name appended based on what state/city they came from. Anyone with Paulista is from Sao Paulo and Gaucho (literally cowboy) is from Rio Grando do Sul.

Ronaldinho is commonly referred to Ronaldinho Gaucho in Brazil. Although there's only one Ronaldo in Brazil - Ronaldo Fenomeno because he's the only "real" Ronaldo, who was a phenomenon. The lesser known Portugeuse lad is always Cristiano Ronaldo or just Cristiano.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Do you learn much Portuguese from BJJ or just the curses ?
            I’ve pick up a little bit. Basic help, how are you, pineapple.
            Porra!

Started duolingo but stopped just as quickly.

Almost everyone is -inho in Brazil. It's essentially Seanie, Deco as well as literally being "little" Sean. Adding -ao at the end of a name is the opposite (Big Sean) but its less common.

The best one though is footballers who use first names but not surname as they are long and double-barrelled from both parents. So the first name appended based on what state/city they came from. Anyone with Paulista is from Sao Paulo and Gaucho (literally cowboy) is from Rio Grando do Sul.
            It’s common with jiu jitsu guys too. Cobrinha, Carlinhos, Marcelinho. Sometimes two brothers each get the big/little variation.
            Need to go back and re-learn a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
              Who gives a shit how he walks down a ramp?
              The only talking points out of this rally are:
              Trump spent most of the time on the back foot whining about the media talking about his way of drinking water and walking down ramps.
              Some of the people who did turn up are going to get covid out of it.
              Trump is going to fire a campaign manager for not being able to lie about protesters causing no one to show up.

No batshit crazy policies, no wall, no email servers, no Soros ate my homework or sleepy Joe shite. That all sounds like to me like a major fightback and shifting of media media attention.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Hungarian-Estonian-Finnish, thats the common family of language weirdness, isn't it?
                They’re all related to each other and others.
                Some of the real weird ones are the isolates. Languages unrelated to any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                  Had a fairly weird dream last night, been having a few of late but I normally can't remember them once I wake up.

This one is still fairly vivid although some details are a bit hazy.

I had moved to New York (on my own) and I was working and living with two lads I used to work with in a previous job. I'm still mates with them so nothing overly weird there but I was now single and we had a pretty cool gaff in NYC and our office was a rather nice plush affair, although I'm not sure what we were actually working at, it didn't seem like we were doing what we normally do.

Then, I get a call from RDIII, he had just moved to New York for work also and he invited me out to meet him in his offices. Now, I say offices, but they weren't your normal conventional offices. He was working in essentially, what was a stately manor. If you can picture the house in the TV show 'Trust' where Jean Paul Getty lived, you'd be right on track. There was lots of offices but they were all in really old large rooms, you know the type, lots of books shelves, all wooden paneling on the walls, old school desk, big leather armchairs, decanters of whiskey/brandy - all that jazz.

When I got there, the Duke told me he had to confide something in me. He had found two small offices in the mansion that didn't make sense. They were both very small and one had the title of 'Dept of the Environment' on it and the other had the 'Dept of the Economy' on it. He had gone into both of them but in each there was just one small desk, totally out of kilter in decor with the rest of the buildings and each office only had one person, both of which were elderly women who said they were secretary's but that nobody else worked there and that the Duke shouldn't be there.

RDIII also told me he took this info to his CEO (who he introduced me to). the CEO was a very elderly gentleman, who dressed like he lived in the 19th century, he was a fairly large round man who was well into his 60's (if not older) who sported a perfectly manicured goatee and mustache that almost curled back into itself. He had a monocle and an old school watch on a chain that sat nicely in his left breast pocket.

Anyway, RDIII told me that his CEO told him that those offices were none of his business and he was best to stay clear of them. he was quite stern about it which had surprised the Duke. As a result, he had did some digging and he was fairly sure that his company was bribing government officials, most likely to illegally dispose of hazardous materials. He now wanted me to help him catching them doing it

And, then I woke up.
                  You're lucky you didn't lose the key to the jax!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looking like a new election.
                        where do you see this HH?
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Looking like a new election. Real pity as that Programme for Government was class. Probably the most ambitious thing seen in many many election cycles. Maybe because I'm not a politician but I don't understand how green party members are not really excited about the opportunity to implement the things they've spent four decades campaigning for. It's obviously not everything they want, but its so many things, and as a smaller party there's always going to be compromise. Hopefully they just run a quick election and sort out some sort of stability. I guess with FG as the larger party in a FG / FF coalition, but retaining a lot of the green policies as they're clearly so popular. Hard to see Greens not losing seats, as I'd imagine a lot of their voters last time are not too comfortable if they are proxy voting for SF. SocDems too who've proven themselves completely pointless through being interested in a coalition with no-one.
                          we should have a 5% threshold for entry to the national parliament

don't reach it on your own? Either join a party that does or fuck off to the county council where you belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

where do you see this HH?
                            Had something pop up for my alerts yesterday as NI greens were going to reject govt deal.
                            As the source was the express, I promptly ignored it.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have an nephew who is a bit of a SJW who has a vote in the GP but at just over 30 now, soon to be married and having a mortgage is beginning to understand that politics is more complicated and nuanced than he realised before . I was able after a good bit of back and forth to persuade him that voting for government was the right thing, he reckons though that he will be one of the youngest people voting for it and there is very little chance it will carry.

I think they will give it another month and make one big push to move quickly with Lab, SD and indo's before they call an election.

Mary Lou missed another open goal to signal that her party has any interest in going into government when she lauded murderer, bank robber, alleged rapist and all round scumbag Bobby Storey as a man of peace added to her bizarre refusal to refer to Det. Garda Colm Horken by his rank, apparently that is by diktat from the men behind the curtain, it seems that she thinks she can win an overall majority next time around. Good luck with that,stranger things have happened.
                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 22-06-20, 15:59.

Comment

I honestly fear that SF will increase their seats.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My 9/1 punt on a second Election being called this year looking up?

Cunt of a day after depositing a large glass of red wine all over my laptop when my nag in the yankee racing was pipped for third on the line late Saturday night. Today consisted of acquiring a new laptop and a lot of effing and blinding as i try to get emails/files/certificates etc swapped over. Quite impressed it only took me a full days work considering how clueless I am.

Now to hunt down that jockey.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Probably a given, but I'd imagine a lot of loose votes for SocDems, Greens, Lab will move towards FG. Plus they'll carve out a fair bit of FF support. Well providing they are smart enough to say they'll do all the cool green things in the pfg - cycle routes etc. Who knows though.
                                        Talking to my buddy who is a pragmatic Green (like a real one, it is his job) and he reckons it gets through the membership after Martin came out in favour.

He does say Ryan is a dead duck.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            OK, this might come across a bit backward on my part but i just cant get/agree with it (unless Im completely reading it wrong?).

I suppose the fact my two will be 5yo's this year but i cant imagine reacting like that.

https://twitter.com/TarynDeVere/stat...43683957030912
                                            Just seen this post. I fucking hate that woman! she is the most ignorant bitch I came across. She used to be married to a friend of ours and I was at birthday parties for her kids at her house. She keeps changing her name, so didn't click at first. She had just had that baby last time I seen her.

Comment

She's brilliant, but this one is the best yet.. the ending..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

If I was a Green Party member I would have been voting for PFG right up until they landed mark ruffalo On us one for no good reason

Comment

Have a scene from a movie in my head but I can't remember what it was from.

There was a short scene high in the mountains where a rasta man in full mammil cycling gear appeared (maybe smoking a joint ) I remember as being something of a non sequitur in the context of the film.
                                                  Anyone any idea what the film was ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There was a short scene high in the mountains where a rasta man in full mammil cycling gear appeared (maybe smoking a joint ) I remember as being something of a non sequitur in the context of the film.
                                                    Old man gets confused by Cool Runnings

Comment

Remember this from something, gonna wreck my head now.

It wasnt in a Crocodile Dundee Film was it?
                                                      Last edited by Dice75; 22-06-20, 22:45.

Comment

Lazare and HJ

Is the race still on?

Comment

Is the race still on lads?

Comment

Double posted damn fiddly buttons

Comment

Yep, we've both agreed on July 25th.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

There's so many things that Chu one has done that have annoyed me. Either being incredibly woke to the point of extremism, or constantly claiming she is subject to racism and gender oppression despite clearly being popular enough to be elected which is far more popular than the rest of us are. And soon to be elected Dublin Lord Mayor, which we'll never here the end of.

​​​​​​
                                                                      Ah how I miss Carmecita Hederman .

Comment

Comment

Comment

Went to school with a kid named 'Ado'. A popular enough name in the west of Ireland. Cue every teacher starting the year with 'is that short for Adolf'. Oh how we laughed at the time.
                                                                            Ado? I've never heard d of anybody in Ireland called that name.
                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Talking to my buddy who is a pragmatic Green (like a real one, it is his job) and he reckons it gets through the membership after Martin came out in favour.

He does say Ryan is a dead duck.
                                                                              It appears that a substantial tranche of the GP votes both in the North and here are SF plants. May not be enough to sink it on their own but with friends like Chu who needs enemies
                                                                              Absolute electoral suicide for the GP to reject this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Remember this from something, gonna wreck my head now.

It wasnt in a Crocodile Dundee Film was it?
                                                                                I don't think so, feels like it was something along the lines of Thelma and Louise or My own private Idaho though it wouldn't have been out of place in that.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Yeah? Remember there also was a shop in Ennis called 'Ado's ... something', so it wasn't just this kid. Could it be a specifically Clare name?
                                                                                      Maybe, I don't know anybody with the name but I don't know that many Clare people.

The one that surprised me a couple of years ago was a good friend who is the assistant principle of a Convent of Mercy secondary school telling me that there was no girl in the school at that time with the first name Mary. That's like close to 800 female students and no Mary. Probably the most common girl's name when I was growing up.
                                                                                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

hmm. Might have been Addo. Which would have had the same vocal effects when called out loud on the teacher roll call.
                                                                                        Aido.

Short for Aidan.

Comment

if they do vote this down, where do their votes go? (primarily urban, liberal middle class)

Comment

hmm. Might have been Addo. Which would have had the same vocal effects when called out loud on the teacher roll call.
                                                                                            Same thing really. I've heard of Aido instead of Adrian, Anto instead of Anthony, only other names I can think of that would be in any way common are Adam and Aidan.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                              Same thing really. I've heard of Aido instead of Adrian, Anto instead of Anthony, only other names I can think of that would be in any way common are Adam and Aidan.
                                                                                              Ado

Short for Aido

Comment

Much Ado about nothing.

Comment

I don't think so, feels like it was something along the lines of Thelma and Louise or My own private Idaho though it wouldn't have been out of place in that.

Weed smoking cyclist was Thelma and Louise .

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                    Strange I know two Aidos both short for Aidan as R111 mentioned plus my cousin Adrian a female is called Aido

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

It was indeed

Came into my head watching 'The Program' last night, the film based on David Walsh's book about Lance Armstrong, not a bad effort at telling a story that didn't really need to be told in a movie
                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 23-06-20, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

WP

"Thelma & Louise" is a 1991 American crime drama film, directed by "Ridley Scott". It stars "Geena Davis, Susan Sarandon, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen & Bra...

Comment

if they do vote this down, where do their votes go? (primarily urban, liberal middle class)
                                                                                                          The votes a that got them 12 seats and unlucky not to land a few more for were third and fourth preferences from people who wanted more or less exactly what is on the table now, a program for government that puts a green agenda at the heart of government without bringing the economy to a grinding halt.

I'd be all in in under 5 seats for them if their rejection of the PFG they campaigned for another election in the short term. I would certainly never put a number beside a GP candidate ever again.

The votes would splay everywhere, would probably be most beneficial for SF in terms of how lower order preferences would count ergo their frantic efforts this week to scupper the deal.

Comment

The votes would splay everywhere, would probably be most beneficial for SF in terms of how lower order preferences would count ergo their frantic efforts this week to scupper the deal.
                                                                                                            I think they would mostly go SD\FG\LAB - in that order

Comment

...

Comment

I'm an examiner later this week on a panel to award a PhD. Topic is the investment potential of solar power in Ireland. Quite fascinating, but mainly aimed at building solar power plants rather than the feasibility of household solar. Has anyone ever looked into getting solar panels? Did it look like it kinda makes sense / makes absolutely no sense / makes loads of sense, from a personal investment perspective?
                                                                                                                Do they talk about the Shockley-Quiesser limit in the thesis? If not I suggest asking them about it as your first question to scare them. If you're claiming to understand the economics, you should have a grounding in the physics that limits the economics!

Comment

...

Comment

I'm an examiner later this week on a panel to award a PhD. Topic is the investment potential of solar power in Ireland. Quite fascinating, but mainly aimed at building solar power plants rather than the feasibility of household solar. Has anyone ever looked into getting solar panels? Did it look like it kinda makes sense / makes absolutely no sense / makes loads of sense, from a personal investment perspective?
                                                                                                                    Slightly off topic, but there was an article in the paper last week about planning being granted to a solar farm in Co.Limerick.

One of the conditions was the company stick 75k into the local amenity fund...Sicilian levels of arm twisting i thought.

here it is, https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/h...farm-plan.html
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

just watched 13th on netflix. Documentary about the 13th amendment in the US . Jeez it makes for grim viewing. More reason that the US is so fucked up

Comment

Hazel Chu is a good example of the problems with our times. Her instincts are pragmatic, but she's trying to market herself as a progressive candidate. As a result she has swung further and further towards her loudest and most unreasonable constituents. It's a losing strategy in the long term for a politician, but she's trapped now. Any further deviation from dogma will have her excommunicated.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-06-20, 14:35.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X