X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ah, I think I'd definitely need to give it to someone to mind for me.

If you bought that now, when would be the optimal time to drink it?
      I've never tried it. But Cellar Tracker (a wine database website/app) gives a drinking range of 6-16years, with the last few vintages stretching to 20 years. So maybe around 2030.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

The other issue is whether anyone would *really* taste the difference enough to make it worthwhile.
      Absolutely. The difference between a 3 year wine and the same wine at 13 years is pretty obvious. It's much more obvious the the difference between say a €40 bottle and a €400 side by side, which can be subtle.

Comment

I just cracked a bottle of de Toren Fusion V 2009 at the weekend, which would be similar. Was drinking very well.

As to the discipline. Have a 'wine cellar' (i.e. a cupboard). Put the good stuff at the very bottom. Cover with other stuff. Ensure pile never gets to bottom. Et voila.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          To celebrate my success in the IPB Royal Ascot Tipping competition, I had a bottle of Château Léoville Barton with my dinner last night. My first time having it and it was pure velvet.
          Bookmarking this for future generations

Comment

Opened a bottle of the 2013 Rubicon in March just in case the arse fell out of everything. Confirmed lush
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I'd wait til at least midday myself, depends what's on the lunch menu.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  I just cracked a bottle of de Toren Fusion V 2009 at the weekend, which would be similar. Was drinking very well.

As to the discipline. Have a 'wine cellar' (i.e. a cupboard). Put the good stuff at the very bottom. Cover with other stuff. Ensure pile never gets to bottom. Et voila.
                  Exactly. I have a wine fridge in the garage set to 13C and the good stuff goes in there and mentally I don't count it as something to be drank on a whim. I actually get a sense of loss when I drink one and the collection looks that bit more pitiful! Seriously in need of a top up now.

To celebrate my success in the IPB Royal Ascot Tipping competition, I had a bottle of Château Léoville Barton with my dinner last night. My first time having it and it was pure velvet.
                  Would happily drink Saint-Julien wines and nothing else forever more.

Comment

Just heard this morning its July 1st for my heart operation. I was mentally hoping for a few weeks notice, but lets get it on! Those pig valves won't insert themselves. Now to rapidly quit smoking which will undoubtedly not add any extra stress.
                    Keyhole robotic stuff or chest split like a lobster ?
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

M5okf4f.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Yes use Unraid for my server at home. Really like all the virtualisation aspects of it, run a lot of useful apps via the docker server on it, which means my machines at home are a chromebook, a raspberry pi, and a headless server which I can RDP to from either of the other ones.

There's a youtube guy who does absolutely loads of videos on how to setup all the bits you may want if you want it as a media server specifically - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZD...N0WeAPvMqTOrtA

It took me a little while to get the server setup (it doesn't have a screen), and quite some time to get around to setting up VMs and docker apps, but really I think I'll never go back to having a behemoth under a desk since I've done it.

I don't make use of the media server aspect of it, I am effectively using it as virtualisation server with a NAS and redundancy option there too.
                          In regards to the cost of UnRaid it's a one off payment and not yearly?

Have a HP Microserver Gen 8 which has been my default media server for a couple years but FreeNas was a nightmare for me, I've been messing around with some of the apps (on my Synology) for tv/movies Sonarr & Radarr and I'm kicking myself for not using them all this time as they seem truly excellent compared to stuff I'd been using.

I've been looking at videos from that guy on YouTube the last couple days and he's stuff seems excellent, bit off putting when you read/see about Docker containers but hopefully get the hang of it. Just waiting for some bits & pieces to arrive before going ahead with the build.

Not sure how much use I'd get out of the virtualization aspect of it, what's your usage in regards that?

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Very sad news from Roscommon this morning. Colm Horkan was as sound a man as you could meet. He coached our football teams in primary school and have very fond memories of how kind and patient he was then with us as kids. RIP.

Comment

So Vera Lynne wasnt dead ? Was surprised to hear the RIP today. Though she was well gone

Comment

I always wondered what became of her.

Comment

Just heard this morning its July 1st for my heart operation. I was mentally hoping for a few weeks notice, but lets get it on! Those pig valves won't insert themselves. Now to rapidly quit smoking which will undoubtedly not add any extra stress.
                                  It's the weight gain to watch with quitting the smokes. Piled on over 2 stone when I quit and it was a pain in the bollox to lose it. BoL with the surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

It's the weight gain to watch with quitting the smokes. Piled on over 2 stone when I quit and it was a pain in the bollox to lose it. BoL with the surgery.
                                    Just the 2 stone ? Pft...amateur.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Anyone got a cool new indie spotify playlist. I've gone through 1000000000s at this stage.

Thanks

Comment

Sadly the chef in every Frenchman has dictated the lobster preparation approach. Think as they're not sure whether it is repair or replace that it needs to be open-heart.
                                        the chest heals in surprisingly short order.
                                        The FIL's open heard chest wound was healed much quicker than the leg (where they took vein), which still isn't 100%
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Where abouts? I'm heading down for a few weeks shortly and will be doing a tonne of cycling if you want to join for a few spins.
                                          I think Dingle but I can't rem name of pub

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

the chest heals in surprisingly short order.
                                            The FIL's open heard chest wound was healed much quicker than the leg (where they took vein), which still isn't 100%
                                            My experience was the complete opposite. The leg wound felt like a scratch from a thorn, whereas the ribcage didn't feel normal for months( though the skin healed up fine).
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

In regards to the cost of UnRaid it's a one off payment and not yearly?

Have a HP Microserver Gen 8 which has been my default media server for a couple years but FreeNas was a nightmare for me, I've been messing around with some of the apps (on my Synology) for tv/movies Sonarr & Radarr and I'm kicking myself for not using them all this time as they seem truly excellent compared to stuff I'd been using.

I've been looking at videos from that guy on YouTube the last couple days and he's stuff seems excellent, bit off putting when you read/see about Docker containers but hopefully get the hang of it. Just waiting for some bits & pieces to arrive before going ahead with the build.

Not sure how much use I'd get out of the virtualization aspect of it, what's your usage in regards that?
                                              One Off cost yeah.

Re:Virtualisation - I don't own a single Windows device, but obviously need windows to run things. So I can create Virtual Machines on the server and remote desktop into that. Easy enough to backup etc. Means I don't need to have a really fancy laptop to be able to do work on (as just 'jump' to the VM). My missus also needs a powerful machine for photo editing, so I passthrough the physical GPU on the server to a different Windows VM. Means that my single machine can run 2 (really could do many more) Windows 'Computers', which I can remote onto via my Chromebook and she can remote onto via a Raspberry Pi and work on with a screen.

Docker is stupidly good, basically reduces all of the hassle of VMs to create 'Virtualised Applications", easy to provision extra disk space / additional cpu / handle port clashes etc per-application. I don't think I use 60% of the capabilities of it. Simple example to consider why you'd use Docker. What if your machine with all of the apps you need gets a virus? Or the machine no longer runs a certain game so you upgrade it. Every time you've to re-install all of the apps / config etc. Docker is just a cheat-sheet for that. And with the Community Applications through Unraid's UI, you don't even need to understand it, you just take other people's DockerFile and run it locally to set up a carbon copy of their setup.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

My experience was the complete opposite. The leg wound felt like a scratch from a thorn, whereas the ribcage didn't feel normal for months( though the skin healed up fine).
                                                The feeling when your sternum rubs is like teeth grinding.

I should have spoilered that for Hitch...
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Guy made a 3D model of his apartment to match up to his actions in VR and then overlayed loads of cool stuff on the apartment in VR using hand tracking with the Quest.

Comment

Oh dear.

Comment

If it's 2016, it won't be touched for at least about another 8 years!!

I brought a bottle of '96 Leoville Barton last year to the HHE dinner last year but you were driving so couldn't sample it. It was velvet alright, but the 2007 Meerlust that RDIII brought gave it a seriously good run for it's money.

Originally posted by Zuutroy
                                                          Exactly. I have a wine fridge in the garage set to 13C and the good stuff goes in there and mentally I don't count it as something to be drank on a whim. I actually get a sense of loss when I drink one and the collection looks that bit more pitiful! Seriously in need of a top up now.

Would happily drink Saint-Julien wines and nothing else forever more.
                                                          I've very modestly dipped my toes into the 2019 En Primeur sales - One of the wines I've gotten is a dozen bottles of the 2nd wine of Chateau Gruaud Larose - Sarget - At 23 quid a bottle plus duty and taxes some time in 2022, it should still come in just under 30 quid a bottle which is great value. Plus the crowd I order from do free delivery on all En Primeur orders.

Originally posted by Mocata
                                                          Opened a bottle of the 2013 Rubicon in March just in case the arse fell out of everything. Confirmed lush
                                                          I've half a dozen '13, '14 & '15 put aside, plan is to not touch the '13 for at least another 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                            I've very modestly dipped my toes into the 2019 En Primeur sales - One of the wines I've gotten is a dozen bottles of the 2nd wine of Chateau Gruaud Larose - Sarget - At 23 quid a bottle plus duty and taxes some time in 2022, it should still come in just under 30 quid a bottle which is great value. Plus the crowd I order from do free delivery on all En Primeur orders.
                                                            who are you doing the en primeur buying through?

Comment

Comment

Slightly hypothetical here in the absence of an employment contract (allegedly in process of being issued). But. Is there any obvious flaws in this commute plan?:

1. Staying in Foxrock, so get the LUAS at 'Central Park'
                                                                2. Take LUAS straight through to Cabra
                                                                3. Foldable bike to do the remaining 10-15 min cycle from Cabra to Glasnevin's finest.

Same journey in reverse to get home. Should be space on LUAS as starting early in the route on both ends so unlikely to be full. Foldable bikes don't seem big or inconvenient for other people. Probably go for a Brompton with their handy rollable cases so as not to inconvenience anyone: https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gb.../c-1651/p-4859
                                                                Get an electric bike and cycle all the way. Lessen the sweating and keep the commute under your own control.
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

One Off cost yeah.

Re:Virtualisation - I don't own a single Windows device, but obviously need windows to run things. So I can create Virtual Machines on the server and remote desktop into that. Easy enough to backup etc. Means I don't need to have a really fancy laptop to be able to do work on (as just 'jump' to the VM). My missus also needs a powerful machine for photo editing, so I passthrough the physical GPU on the server to a different Windows VM. Means that my single machine can run 2 (really could do many more) Windows 'Computers', which I can remote onto via my Chromebook and she can remote onto via a Raspberry Pi and work on with a screen.

Docker is stupidly good, basically reduces all of the hassle of VMs to create 'Virtualised Applications", easy to provision extra disk space / additional cpu / handle port clashes etc per-application. I don't think I use 60% of the capabilities of it. Simple example to consider why you'd use Docker. What if your machine with all of the apps you need gets a virus? Or the machine no longer runs a certain game so you upgrade it. Every time you've to re-install all of the apps / config etc. Docker is just a cheat-sheet for that. And with the Community Applications through Unraid's UI, you don't even need to understand it, you just take other people's DockerFile and run it locally to set up a carbon copy of their setup.
                                                                  How do you deal with Windows licensing?
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Feck it Brian, you've twisted my arm. I may buy a bottle of that Meerlust.

Where in the house would be a good place to store it. A kitchen press work fine?

A wardrobe?
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I have an unopened can of coke that I bought in 1990 with a Barcelona 92 ad on it, so I have form.

Coca cola doesn't buzz the brain tho

Comment

Comment

Slightly hypothetical here in the absence of an employment contract (allegedly in process of being issued). But. Is there any obvious flaws in this commute plan?:

3. Foldable bike to do the remaining 10-15 min cycle from Cabra to Glasnevin's finest.

Same journey in reverse to get home. Should be space on LUAS as starting early in the route on both ends so unlikely to be full. Foldable bikes don't seem big or inconvenient for other people. Probably go for a Brompton with their handy rollable cases so as not to inconvenience anyone: https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gb.../c-1651/p-4859
                                                                          on the exceedingly rare occasion I've been on the Green Line, it's been fucking packed to the gills. It would be a seriously horrible commute imo.

Comment

Is that from Millesima? Been tempted to order a few bits from them but I prefer the live experience when in France.

Comment

I'd be very slow to pick the Luas as the option for that commute. Half the cycle is pretty straightforward in that from foxrock to Donnybrook there's good cycle lanes all the way. Obviously gets a little tougher after that. If you're not happy to cycle, the bus is your best bet. 46a or 145 into the city centre and then either folding bike or another bus from there

Comment

I just simply don't trust Dublin taxi and bus drivers and pretty much every other road user to be on the road cycling for two hours a day.
                                                                                Not all cycle routes are equal. I think it’s worth a try as there are multiple benefits if you could get a route that you were comfortable with. I’d go longer distance to have a safer route but an e-bike where you dial back the assistance over time is a great option imo.
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

on the exceedingly rare occasion I've been on the Green Line, it's been fucking packed to the gills. It would be a seriously horrible commute imo.
                                                                                  Getting on at Central Park heading towards town isn't a bad stop to pick though; even if packed arriving there, lots and lots of people get off as it is a major employment centre. I've been on full Luas arriving there and can never remember anyone being left behind, as opposed to the previous stop Glencairn, which is a 'getting on' only stop in the morning so no opportunities to take an alighting person's spot.

Comment

Feck it Brian, you've twisted my arm. I may buy a bottle of that Meerlust.

Where in the house would be a good place to store it. A kitchen press work fine?

A wardrobe?
                                                                                    Anywhere that is dark and doesn't get too much variation on temperature (ideally cool but not cold) although the lack of light is more important. If you're putting it in a kitchen press, don't put it one that you open every 20 minutes to get stuff out of.

I keep mine in the cupboard under the stairs.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III
                                                                                    who are you doing the en primeur buying through?
                                                                                    Millesima - website is here - https://www.millesima.ie/

Originally posted by zuutroy
                                                                                    Is that from Millesima? Been tempted to order a few bits from them but I prefer the live experience when in France.
                                                                                    Yeah, that's them. It's my 3rd year buying from them - 1st two years I was a bit cautious, even though I know how En Primeur works, I was still a bit weary about handing over cash to a company I'd never dealt with before on the promise they'd turn up with wine in 18-24 months, silly I know but how and ever. So first two years I just went with a few dozen bottles of a good Bordeaux Superior which is great value. It works out about €12 a bottle (inc VAT & Duty) and the equivalent here would be around 16-18 quid.

This year I've gone with another couple dozen bottles of the Superior, plus a dozen of the Sarget plus a dozen of Lynch Bages 2nd wine - Echo.

The only problem is that you get an e-mail every day with new releases so their is a temptation to keep going back in

What way does it work when you head over to France?
                                                                                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 18-06-20, 21:32.

Comment

...

Comment

I may have missed this been mentioned already but why Foxrock to live?

I get it's a nice area but that commute no matter how you do it just sounds a bit woeful.

If you're going to be working in DCU, there should be good housing options around Glasnevin/Drumcondra/Phibsorough and your loot will go much further than in Foxrock.

Comment

The brother was suggesting an escooter. They outnumber bikes here in Rennes by about 10-to-1 so there's probably some decent benefits.
                                                                                          Would be far more worried about getting through city centre traffic on an e scooter than on a bike

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How do you deal with Windows licensing?
                                                                                              Kinguin for grey licencing.

Though don't really use Windows much anymore tbh.

Comment

...

Comment

@Hitch - those Brompton bikes are utter shite

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

What way does it work when you head over to France?
                                                                                                        Take the plane over...lots of browsing in various 'caves'. Ultimately the spend is limited by the payload of the plane, around 100 bottles. Not much point buying too much wine to have it rest on the sea bed! In my experience beyond €40-50 the price-quality return starts to drop off. I find Millesima just a little expensive and that stops me from pulling the trigger.

Comment

Cycling in Dublin City is probably not as bad as you think it would be. Ebike is definitely something worth a bit more consideration. They seem to be finally making some decent progress around infrastructure as well

Don't forget commuting by luas etc is likely to be a bit different for the next year or so to people's experience too.

Comment

...

Comment

My foray into being a wine collector begins with Xing out of the bargain reduced bottle of Meerlust webpage because it's €7 to get DPD to deliver it to me.

I'll swing by.

Looking forward to flying my plane to France for 100 bottles.

Comment

Also folding ebikes are starting to become a thing.

Actually I suspect a portion of this 360M a year if the government goes ahead will probably be retrofitting PT with bike carrying facilities
                                                                                                                Last edited by Keane; 18-06-20, 22:24.

Comment

Speaking of being back, I did a €14,000 deal with a woman this week for blinds for her 4 bed gaff.

Comment

...

Comment

Speaking of being back, I did a €14,000 deal with a woman this week for blinds for her 4 bed gaff.
                                                                                                                      were they made of solid gold?

Comment

easy enough for trains anyway. Its just an extra carriage. the modern ones are quite smartly designed with loads of seats.
                                                                                                                        we don't have outdoor storage so have folding bikes (you just can't leave bikes outside in London, they get stolen almost immediately). i've got a tern which imo is much better that the brompton due to wheelsize and ease of folding. granted it takes a bit more space than a brompton but rides so much better . In any event, we've just bought a folding electric bike for wifey so she can go to work on it without too much effort. We bought her the btwin one from decathlon. cheap and cheerful, so i'll let you know how she gets on with it

Comment

Want the kids to go to the French school in Foxrock so they're not missing out. They're in a brill school here and that school seemed the most comfortable way of giving them the best repeat performance. It felt otherwise that we'd be lowering what they have to improve our own adult things. It's also that they do an 8am-6pm day and bring in the extra curricular activities into the school which we'd probably slack off on if we had to organise it ourselves. And - and I do feel like a horribly *something* person for saying this - but we didn't want them to wear uniforms or do religion or Irish class.
                                                                                                                          Kids are way more adaptable than adults, 3 months in a regular Irish school and they'll have forgotten what their French school was like. If this was part of the t&cs of moving to Ireland with Mrs Hitch though, then I fully understand.

Tbh, for that commute, you might as well bite the bullet and drive round the M50 every day. Which would be horrendous in of itself.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X