This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    Has anyone ever talked to a young person who is a trans activist or supporter of it? I haven't because I don't know young people. I wouldn't mind having such a discussion, even though I imagine I would likely regret it. Has anyone read anything interesting on it I can read (not a book)?

I accidentally got into gender studies many years ago and really enjoyed it. I recall the "gender is a social construct" idea that was prevalent a few decades ago leading to gender surgery for babies with sex organ abnormalities (intersex babies of various sorts is more common than you imagine). The idea was, well if there's an issue let's just sort them out with a vagina and raise them as a girl. It was a disaster and caused huge suffering and later life realignment surgery.

Now maybe this is entirely unrelated to the current transgender activism that's going on, I don't know.
    I'd love to be able to have this discussion with someone also. I don't know enough about it but whenever I've tried to find out more I inevitably find this strange conversation style where everyone is waiting for the first mistake in wording and then the pile-on starts. It is like a form of conversational jenga.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
      I find it exhausting to debate any contentious topics with those types of people (you know the ones). Try and introduce any logic or science into the discussion and you will be met with anecdote and emotive bullshite. You'll leave the discussion not having learned anything and just frustrated.

So yeah live and let live - not my business how people want to raise their children
      Read something a couple of years ago about doctors in UK scared to say anything negative/contrary to the parent/child as they knew they would probably lose their jobs under a media led government. They were also worried about who might replace them, so said nothing and did what they could,but stressful.

Not medical but would have thought an "100% government will back you but after puberty" rule would sort a lot of it + remove the pushie parents control somewhat

Might be wrong but pretty sure that the Greeks/Romans etc were a lot more gender/sexually fluid than us

If it's the parents pushing it a lot of those kids would probably have ended fucked up anyway

The prisons and sport will sort a lot of it out eventually, they always do!

Live and let live, hope the kids turn out alright, I'm staying out of it if I can!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
        Aunt Jemima gone. Uncle Ben must be on the way out next https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/...an/3204562001/

s-l1000.jpg
        Good!
        About time!

Comment

Seeing a lot of calls for restraint around Dexamethazone. Actual paper hasn't been published, seems to be reported on the basis of a press release rather than a published study :-/
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If that was the case Kayroo I generally start off with a disclaimer that I am trying to learn and will make mistakes in language.
            It's easiest to ask questions somewhere like reddit than in person. I'm sure a lot of people I know could speak well on it but it's never come up, it's also just easier to find trans people to talk to.

I'd like to talk to somebody more about being non-binary. It's hard to understand for me and i'd like to know what they feel and how misguided I am. To me the it sounds like people an idea of what a woman and man should be / feel like, ingrained from society, and if you feel like that thing, then you are one?

I see it like I am confident in who I am, that I am just me without really caring what traits are attached to a gender traditionally, somebody with a penis and a personality that is my own, call me a man great, call me a woman great, call me neither great. At the same as being biologically male time I have some traditionally feminine characteristics, but that doesn't matter an iota to me. The question of being a man or a woman has never popped into my head. I'm not sure what my point is apart from how foreign all this topic in general is to my particular personality, which makes it hard to understand and none of the content I've read has made it easier, because I guess gender is meaningless in reference to myself, and not because I am just a "man" aligned with a male body. If society said a man and a woman were different things (than they say now) would they not be non-binary?

Comment

Jordan Peterson is interesting to listen to on the topic of gender and role in society. You don't have to agree with him but he articulates his points quite well

Comment

Here's the problem with the availability of media. I was at a lovely park yesterday with a canal going through it which has a pair of swans and little signets. I was chatting to a woman who said a couple of the signets were further down the canal and couldn't get over a little water fall to where the others were, and that someone had called swan rescue.

I didn't know that swan rescue was a thing, and just Googled it there thinking that "That's sounds like a lovely thing, maybe I'll get involved in that." I go to the ISPCA website and there's a story about rescuing a swan with a damaged wing from a fight. "Swans fight?" Cue me watching a 5 minute epic fight between 2 swans on Youtube. Needless to say during my cheering along the swans in the surprisingly Brasilian Jiu Jitsu like fight I am now far away from wishing to help any loser swans who couldn't hack it in the mean fighting pits of the ponds.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  That Talking Sopranos podcast is really great. Michael Imperioli (Christopher) is a joy to listen to.

They're discussing each episode, from the beginning. Each pod episode is based on an episode of the show.

Would highly recommend. Gonna rewatch too.
                  Listened to the second episode of Fake Doctors Real Friends from Zach Braff and Donald Faison rewatching Scrubs and telling stories. Actually burst out laughing at one point walking down the road, wasn't too many people around thankfully.
                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

"Stay away from swans they will break your arm"

Fairly vicious bastards!

Comment

Here's the problem with the availability of media. I was at a lovely park yesterday with a canal going through it which has a pair of swans and little signets. I was chatting to a woman who said a couple of the signets were further down the canal and couldn't get over a little water fall to where the others were, and that someone had called swan rescue.

I didn't know that swan rescue was a thing, and just Googled it there thinking that "That's sounds like a lovely thing, maybe I'll get involved in that." I go to the ISPCA website and there's a story about rescuing a swan with a damaged wing from a fight. "Swans fight?" Cue me watching a 5 minute epic fight between 2 swans on Youtube. Needless to say during my cheering along the swans in the surprisingly Brasilian Jiu Jitsu like fight I am now far away from wishing to help any loser swans who couldn't hack it in the mean fighting pits of the ponds.
                      We live just off the Grand Canal. There's usually a swan's nest near us each year. There are plenty of stories of swan related hospital trips over the years. They get very defensive at this time of year and will take a notion to chase people off. They've sent a kayaker for stitches, left plenty of people with bruises, they've attacked the wheel of my jeep going past, they've even taken to flight and chased after my wife's car - interesting to see in your rear view mirror. I've rescued several people who haven't been able to pass the nest along the tow path.

I like them.

Comment

Brianmc is right, we must do something about the swan menace!

The Birds would have been a better film if it had been The Swans, thousands of swans giving people what for.

Comment

Jordan Peterson is interesting to listen to on the topic of gender and role in society. You don't have to agree with him but he articulates his points quite well
                          That would be a first for him in my experience. A bizarre, rambling weirdo on anything I've ever listened to. He pretends to cry doing the reading for his own audiobook.

Comment

The Swan goes out to the 1 I love . The Swan goes out to the one I left, behind

That's how I heard it .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              RIP mr Willie Thorne. Wasnt he called mr Maximum
                              Yeah, he was living here, met him a couple of times, really nice down to earth guy. He was playing pool for a local team here and I had a weekly gig there last year so he'd be in a bit. He's a friend on FB and would put updates on his health, sadly they were fearful, he knew he was in trouble, I just saw the Gofundme last night to help him out but I didn't think I'd be reading about his death today

Comment

One for the apiculturists

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...social_twitter

Comment

Nope. Nope nope nope. He may be a wonderful clinical psychologist (I don't know) but his reasoning is specious, his thinking is childish and his conclusions are beyond contemptible. Since he got a whiff of himself in 2010 he's gone on a spiral of increasingly stupid positions on a huge range of topics. Articulating a bad point well does not make it a better point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Nope. Nope nope nope. He may be a wonderful clinical psychologist (I don't know) but his reasoning is specious, his thinking is childish and his conclusions are beyond contemptible. Since he got a whiff of himself in 2010 he's gone on a spiral of increasingly stupid positions on a huge range of topics. Articulating a bad point well does not make it a better point.
                                    Yeah they are all fair points - I just enjoy him because I assume (probably wrongly) that he is high level trolling all the feminists

I think he's had a bit of a melt down in recent months - went on a benzo binge in Russia sadly.

Comment

Yeah they are all fair points - I just enjoy him because I assume (probably wrongly) that he is high level trolling all the feminists

I think he's had a bit of a melt down in recent months - went on a benzo binge in Russia sadly.
                                      he had a high water mark in the Ch4 interview and had a lot of attention and opportunity for $$$
                                      He turned into a mouthpiece for his most frequent backers
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Jordan Peterson is an exceptional genius. I can also assume you haven't spent enough time reading him or watching his psychology lectures Kayroo, because it is inconceivable to me that you could otherwise characterise his capacities so inaccurately.

Comment

Articulating a bad point well does not make it a better point.. ya listening Kayroo ? Wha wha?

Comment

Jordan Peterson is an exceptional genius. I can also assume you haven't spent enough time reading him or watching his psychology lectures Kayroo, because it is inconceivable to me that you could otherwise characterise his capacities so inaccurately.
                                            Not even remotely commenting on his psychology work. He may well be the finest psychologist in the world and I would not be capable of disputing that or even intelligently discussing it. However

However... he also holds some other ideas

1. Islamophobia is a word created by fascists and used by cowards to manipulate morons
                                            2. He thinks the increase in sexual assault allegations is due to sex outside marriage being more common
                                            3. He told Camille Paglia that it was a pity men can't control "crazy women" anymore by physically beating them
                                            4. He thinks that the teaching of humanities in college is a form of indoctrination for neo-Marxists
                                            5. He espouses a diet of salt, beef and water only.

He is a reddit forum with a book deal. He might well be a genius psychologist but he's an absolutely abysmal public intellectual.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Articulating a bad point well does not make it a better point.. ya listening Kayroo ? Wha wha?
                                              And being barely articulate doesn't stop ya being funny Solks. Wha? Wha???

Comment

Those points above made by kayroo are not something I know much about and are such not my issue with him. I've watching some of his talks and so on, so by no means an expert but I did try and learn more about what he thinks (any power struggle...is this a marxist? any altruistic action, is this toxic empathy? ) and what others think about it. Jordan is regularly ripped apart on philosophy communities, and is the mascot of /r/badphilosophy. To me he seems to try and talk with authority about quite a lot of interdisciplinary positions without an in depth knowledge of them himself. When I want to go learn more about what he said, people in said field are generally just picking it apart (people seem quite pissed that he misrepresents others philosophical views and states them as fact), so I'd like to know more about his good aspects.
                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-06-20, 16:45.

Comment

Didn't Peterson check himself into rehab late last year which is why we haven't had to endure his ramblings of late?

Comment

And being barely articulate doesn't stop ya being funny Solks. Wha? Wha???
                                                    I'll take 'barely' . I feel upgraded.

Comment

Looking to book an airbnb in Ireland for the week of 13 July. Lost track of phases: is this a legit thing to do at that time?
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Goal line tech and VAR both working from home in their jocks today. Sheff Utd robbed

Comment

Now that Premier League is back up and running the EFL bets thread has become too difficult for a mentally challenged old man to find. A link would be appreciated if anyone can post it I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                            Does anybody use UnRaid for a media server?

I've been using FreeNas the last couple years but it's not exactly user friendly if you're not too familiar with Linux & coding and I updated it last week and it's just not running so decided I'm gonna go down a different route and UnRaid looks like the best option vs using a Windows operating system.
                                                            Yes use Unraid for my server at home. Really like all the virtualisation aspects of it, run a lot of useful apps via the docker server on it, which means my machines at home are a chromebook, a raspberry pi, and a headless server which I can RDP to from either of the other ones.

There's a youtube guy who does absolutely loads of videos on how to setup all the bits you may want if you want it as a media server specifically - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZD...N0WeAPvMqTOrtA

It took me a little while to get the server setup (it doesn't have a screen), and quite some time to get around to setting up VMs and docker apps, but really I think I'll never go back to having a behemoth under a desk since I've done it.

I don't make use of the media server aspect of it, I am effectively using it as virtualisation server with a NAS and redundancy option there too.

Comment

absolute clusterfuck by EPL in this game
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Council to introduce one-way system for cars along coast to facilitate ‘dramatic shift to cycling’

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      Looking to book an airbnb in Ireland for the week of 13 July. Lost track of phases: is this a legit thing to do at that time?
                                                                      We are renting an airbnb pub down in Kerry on the 19th/20th and it seems like it will be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        Like if you were to do this for a few months and see a quadrupling of cyclists, there's realistically no sane council can shut down a route that is clearly working. Suggests the impetus then is to get on your bikes everyone. I'd imagine they'll be tracking usage on all the routes too, so key is that everything is packed.
                                                                        Ive taken up cycling in the last 4 months and love it! But I actively avoid routes that don't have cycle lanes. Had a motorist knock me off my bike yesterday even though I was in the cycle lane

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          absolute clusterfuck by EPL in this game
                                                                          Id a bet on Sheff Utd to finish 4th ages ago, I think that killed it!

Comment

Comment

Supporters groups should be advocating for major ticket price cuts when/if we go back to normal, this is kack to watch without a boozed up crowd, (same reason early kick offs are shit) . Not going to bother with this

on a positive note rugby seems to really be struggling with the covid fallout , maybe even a complete collapse on the cards?

Comment

Always be learning!

Today I learned that Sky VIP members are sad bastards!

Comment

Found a little bit of value in my Sky subscription spewage.

Sopranos is there in Box Sets.

Spotted The Shield there too, hmm, that might be a nice re-watch.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

We are renting an airbnb pub down in Kerry on the 19th/20th and it seems like it will be ok
                                                                                    Where abouts? I'm heading down for a few weeks shortly and will be doing a tonne of cycling if you want to join for a few spins.

Comment

I got a refund cheque of 7 cent from my health insurance provider, for covid/private hospitals. I will also be getting a 7 cent cheque next month and the month after. I rang and they can't even cancel them. I may frame them for whenever I need a laugh.

Comment

Lap up sopranos while you can before it gets taken down for liberal use of the n word
                                                                                        they cane at the wire already for “painting police in a heroic light” .actor who played Bunk shut it down
                                                                                        also being targeted: Paw Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Lap up sopranos while you can before it gets taken down for liberal use of the n word
                                                                                          they cane at the wire already for “painting police in a heroic light” .actor who played Bunk shut it down
                                                                                          If they see the police as the heros they need to watch it again. Is there a link to this nonsense?
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its fucking horrific the virus that motorists are on city roads. Yeah its a lovely feeling when you get into work after a decent cycle. Seems all the new routes going up in Dublin are fully segregated.
                                                                                            It's really noticable now just how much noise is from traffic. An acceleration in the move away from cars in the city may be one of the lesser expected effects of covid

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Joking about Paw Patrol right?

Mad you mention Bunk, only thought of him today for the first time in years.

Was thinking a Wire podcast with him and Dominic West in the same vain as Talking Sopranos would be a cracking listen.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

If they see the police as the heros they need to watch it again. Is there a link to this nonsense?
                                                                                                How do you feel about the eamokoftas going IPB viral, I reckon even Tar has made them.

Comment

m8
                                                                                                  come see me in cousins

Comment

That Talking Sopranos podcast is really great. Michael Imperioli (Christopher) is a joy to listen to.

They're discussing each episode, from the beginning. Each pod episode is based on an episode of the show.

Would highly recommend. Gonna rewatch too.
                                                                                                    He was on Rogan today. Only starting into it now

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah booked something down near Skibbereen, me + 3 kids
                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Was thinking a Wire podcast with him and Dominic West in the same vain as Talking Sopranos would be a cracking listen.
                                                                                                        Not joking about paw patrol

Comment

Bunk is a St Pats fan. Dominic West actually lives in Glin Castle on the border of Limerick and Kerry. There's a class architectural digest video of him and wife showing it off on YouTube. You can rent it for like 6k a night, I'm thinking it's at least plausible to get 100 jokers to kick in 60 quid for a post covid hoolie at some stage

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

See link in post above

Comment

...
                                                                                                              Review: An apawlling attempt to normalise state-sponsored thuggery

Comment

Tif I have had the thought before that the wire pulled some punches police wise

Comment

Bargain alert.

The Corkscrew's weekly special this week is Meerlust, reduced from 42.95 to 34.95. I think it's 2016 vintage but it may be 2017. Either way, you won't be drinking it for a good few years anyway.

Hope to get in at the weekend to pick up a few bottles to round off a week of wine buying after dipping into the 2019 En Primeur sales a few times.

Comment

They'd be better off minding it for me if it's not supposed to be drank for a few years.

Comment

They'd be better off minding it for me if it's not supposed to be drank for a few years.
                                                                                                                      You started from scratch to build up a discipline of running hundreds of Km's per month.

You could easily do the same with not drinking the good plonk until it was time.

Same same but different.

Comment

still lurking

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                          You started from scratch to build up a discipline of running hundreds of Km's per month.

You could easily do the same with not drinking the good plonk until it was time.

Same same but different.
                                                                                                                          Ah, I think I'd definitely need to give it to someone to mind for me.

If you bought that now, when would be the optimal time to drink it?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X