This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

No good guys in this story really tho just villains, a shitty system and a country that has been stirred up to boiling point by their own version of Nero - fiddling the statistics while Washington burns.

I dont think anyone is calling him a hero or at least they shouldn't be. He was innocent (as of yet not guilty at least) and killed in an incredibly cruel way. If it was wartime and an enemy prisoner was killed this way there would be questioned let alone a citizen you are sworn to protect.

Hero would imply that he made the choice to stand up - he isn't rosa parks or martin luther.

Depending on your definition of Martyr I guess she could be right that it may require some sort of a decision to be made.

The guy died for a box of cigarettes or 20 dollars depending on what way you look at it - that is where the US is at the moment. Imo thats worse than just innocent bystander gets killed which he is being painted as. You actually can quantify the value of his life in the end.

When a crime that small can get you killed if your black, I cant really get my head around people saying that the US is less racist than other countries or not suppressing a large portion of the nation or comparatively less than others. It's astonishing in a modern, well educated and developed nation that you can be killed for a pack of smokes.
    She's reframing the argument and the movement his death has lit a match to.
    It's a tactic that invites you to change your argument to counter the points she raised rather than focus on what it's actually about.
    And it's all about them views. The more people are engaging and reporting and reacting to her views, the less time, energy, airspace and inkspace (virtual or real) is used on the matter at hand.

She has form for this
    https://www.blackenterprise.com/cand...conservatives/

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

No good guys in this story really tho just villains, a shitty system and a country that has been stirred up to boiling point by their own version of Nero - fiddling the statistics while Washington burns.

I dont think anyone is calling him a hero or at least they shouldn't be. He was innocent (as of yet not guilty at least) and killed in an incredibly cruel way. If it was wartime and an enemy prisoner was killed this way there would be questioned let alone a citizen you are sworn to protect.

Hero would imply that he made the choice to stand up - he isn't rosa parks or martin luther.

Depending on your definition of Martyr I guess she could be right that it may require some sort of a decision to be made.

The guy died for a box of cigarettes or 20 dollars depending on what way you look at it - that is where the US is at the moment. Imo thats worse than just innocent bystander gets killed which he is being painted as. You actually can quantify the value of his life in the end.

When a crime that small can get you killed if your black, I cant really get my head around people saying that the US is less racist than other countries or not suppressing a large portion of the nation or comparatively less than others. It's astonishing in a modern, well educated and developed nation that you can be killed for a pack of smokes.
      People around the world get killed murdered for stupid senseless reasons the whole time. High profile case in England guy slashed another guy across the neck chest with a Stanley knife flees to Romania caught a few years later reason he gave felt guy had an aggressive stance mindless. Young lad in Cork recently got slashed across the neck when some teenagers were at a party he was the peacemaker dead as well. A 75 year old man was shoved to the ground in New York by the police hit his head and is in a serious condition. Should he have stood in the way of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        and not use it as an incorrect defense of casual racism.
        So it's not OK for people to send jokes you don't like, but it's OK for you to go around labelling people racist by association whenever you feel like it? Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

People around the world get killed murdered for stupid senseless reasons the whole time. High profile case in England guy slashed another guy across the neck chest with a Stanley knife flees to Romania caught a few years later reason he gave felt guy had an aggressive stance mindless. Young lad in Cork recently got slashed across the neck when some teenagers were at a party he was the peacemaker dead as well. A 75 year old man was shoved to the ground in New York by the police hit his head and is in a serious condition. Should he have stood in the way of course not.
          Yes people killing people for nothing or a box of cigarettes will happen and they are tragic events. The 75 year old man is the only point that is relative since it is the only one where it was police action - I dont know exactly what happened in that particular case so I cant give an opinion on if that's reasonable force. If he was part of a peaceful protest and not after curfew than he can stand wherever he wants and shouldnt end up with a police officer putting him in hospital.

In this case a man in police custody for the crime of passing a fake 20 or stealing a box of cigarettes depending on what way you look at it was killed - that's completely different and where the problem is.

On a sliding scale of ways to kill I think slowly choking the life from someone while chatting to your buddies is much worse than slashing at them. I am sure hotspur could weigh in on the psychology of it but you would need to be very comfortable will killing and really dehumanise the person to do something like that since it took a long time so you are making the decision a lot of times to continue. If they had shot him its as bad on one side but it only takes a microsecond to make that bad choice.

Comment

Media mole is back.

Pat Kenny interviewing Leo Varadkar at 9pm on Virgin, it's not a live interview. His "state of the nation" address will be on earlier in the evening. Wasnt given a time. Guess 4 pr 5pm with him telling us what good boys and girls we've been and restrictions will continue to be eased.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              Just dropped in to the Maddie thread on boards to see how all the Colombo’s who had it pinned on the parents are coping with the latest revelations
              not well being the answer
              Masochistic tendencies much?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

that's a hell of a take on this

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

that's a hell of a take on this

Presume that the same incident as reported here?
                  Looks like those cops are going to have the entire book flung at them. And rightly so.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Bozzer View Post

Must have been pretty great given that she died in 2014!
                    Sorry, it was aired last year.

This week, we're listening back to some favorite Fresh Air interviews from the past decade. Rivers, who died in 2014, spoke to Terry Gross in 2010 about the sacrifices she made as a female comedian.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/31/79259...es-joan-rivers

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      Media mole is back.

Pat Kenny interviewing Leo Varadkar at 9pm on Virgin, it's not a live interview. His "state of the nation" address will be on earlier in the evening. Wasnt given a time. Guess 4 pr 5pm with him telling us what good boys and girls we've been and restrictions will continue to be eased.
                      Leo going live at 2pm. Regular govt briefing at 5.30
                      Last edited by dobby; 05-06-20, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

So it's not OK for people to send jokes you don't like, but it's OK for you to go around labelling people racist by association whenever you feel like it? Gotcha.
                        I didn't label anyone a racist. I thought if you were going to quote a source you might be interested in understanding the context of what they were saying.

You seem quite angry so I don't think there's any point in continuing the discussion.

Comment

'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

The drop of rain feels like a comforting reminder that things are returning to normal.

Or else I need a checkup from the neck up.

Comment

Lazare, your friend may have experienced racism and understand what it feels like but that doesn't mean he is an expert on what should constitute appropriate behaviour. I think he is wrong in his opinion, ethics is not purely a matter of intent. Lot of 70s/80s comedians did racist humour with the intention of making people laugh, that doesn't mean it was okay, and it was indicative of the lack of power of black people in the UK at the time that it was perceived as okay.

If it is purely a matter of intent then everybody gets to decide for themselves if what they are saying or doing is racist or not. Given that racism is inherently connected with being offensive this leads to an absurd position whereby one person becomes the sole arbiter of what is offensive irrespective of how ignorant they are of the person / group potentially being offended.

Tell him I called him a comedy Uncle Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                Lazare, your friend may have experienced racism and understand what it feels like but that doesn't mean he is an expert on what should constitute appropriate behaviour. I think he is wrong in his opinion, ethics is not purely a matter of intent. Lot of 70s/80s comedians did racist humour with the intention of making people laugh, that doesn't mean it was okay, and it was indicative of the lack of power of black people in the UK at the time that it was perceived as okay.

If it is purely a matter of intent then everybody gets to decide for themselves if what they are saying or doing is racist or not. Given that racism is inherently connected with being offensive this leads to an absurd position whereby one person becomes the sole arbiter of what is offensive irrespective of how ignorant they are of the person / group potentially being offended.

Uncle Tomedy

Comment

Colin Farrell said it best
                                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Trump shared a letter today that described peaceful protestors as Terrorists and "not real".

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...659584/photo/1

Comment

LOTR quote from Leo

Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-06-20, 13:41.

Comment

Pubs opening from June 29, food and table service...yeah, talk about giving into pressure, back to stage 1 come Aug 1 is my bet.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I had a rebuttal post for Hotspur but then I got scared and hid behind the sofa . In other news getting a new fridge tomorrow. How far I've sank that this is exciting. In the past I'd have slept in any old fridge.

Comment

If anyone of you fancy a break from reading Stormfront and retweeting Trump, I thought this was a very powerful piece.

"If there are white people who, having watched the slow-motion murder of George Floyd, still need further evidence that there is something wrong with the criminal justice system’s treatment of black people, then those people are monsters. They may bristle at this definition, they may point at all the lovely and kind things they do in their personal lives, but that will be no excuse. Their apathy is the fuel for further horror, since it is precisely their embarrassed silence upon which these murderers rely."

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/06/05/w...s-by-the-lake/

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I don't think that's true, those comedians of the 70/80s intended to insult black/irish people to make people laugh, so I think the comparison is unfair. I couldn't argue calling someone a gypsy to make my friends laugh was ok because I was just intending to make my friends laugh.

Intent is truly the heart of it, if someone accidentally knocks you over you take it differently to a push to the chest. If that police officer had accidentally shot George Floyd in a freak accident it would be very different to the 8min+ of holding him down.

Lazare's friend of course can decide what he wants to call offensive. I think the subtle difference is that just because it's racist doesn't necessarily mean it's offensive, that's where context and intent come in.

Comment

No questions again from Trump.

We have hit peak cunt.
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Reminds me of time in the Emporium when some Chinese guy told me he was All in. I said I'm willie pleased to meet you.

Was this racist ? If so I'm changing my autobiography

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                      Pubs opening from June 29, food and table service...yeah, talk about giving into pressure, back to stage 1 come Aug 1 is my bet.
                                                      Fuck off killjoys. PINCE M8S!!!
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hope not. Just booked a weekend in Clare for mid July and a week in Kerry for early August. Great to be making plans again

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I don't think that's true, those comedians of the 70/80s intended to insult black/irish people to make people laugh, so I think the comparison is unfair. I couldn't argue calling someone a gypsy to make my friends laugh was ok because I was just intending to make my friends laugh.

Intent is truly the heart of it, if someone accidentally knocks you over you take it differently to a push to the chest. If that police officer had accidentally shot George Floyd in a freak accident it would be very different to the 8min+ of holding him down.

Lazare's friend of course can decide what he wants to call offensive. I think the subtle difference is that just because it's racist doesn't necessarily mean it's offensive, that's where context and intent come in.
                                                          Speaking of context. Was listening to someone recently and the gist was..we can put on a French, Spanish American accent and tell a joke and its ok. If we put on an Indian Mexican Nigerian or Chinese accent it appears offensive, something about punching up rather than down, so by that logic, do "people" view Mexicans, Chinese and Nigerians lesser than us ?
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Lord of the Cringe

Comment

Trump has a neck like a jockey's bollocks.

"Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement regardless of race…Hopefully #GeorgeFloyd is looking down right now & saying this is a great thing that's happening for our country…in terms of equality" https://t.co/7rNQ4EX8Gq
                                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                No questions again from Trump.

We have hit peak cunt.
                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Very good points. I don't think my friend meant it generally though. The context was this particular whatsapp exchange, between him and his friends. An outsider reading the exchange could view it as racism, he was explaining to me why he didn't.
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Speaking of context. Was listening to someone recently and the gist was..we can put on a French, Spanish American accent and tell a joke and its ok. If we put on an Indian Mexican Nigerian or Chinese accent it appears offensive, something about punching up rather than down, so by that logic, do "people" view Mexicans, Chinese and Nigerians lesser than us ?
                                                                    No, that's not the logic.

Comment

Homeless man shot in the face in L.A
                                                                      Police warning armed Proud Boys about incoming tear gas so they can get offside
                                                                      Threatening a woman that'd he'll take her out in a choke hold

Just another day in Trump's America

Comment

I believe I've been proved right about the cancellation of the LC being fucking stupid. All the evidence at the time was that it would be easily achievable to safely run the exams by mid-summer. Must have been a panic attack by someone in the DoE.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                          I believe I've been proved right about the cancellation of the LC being fucking stupid. All the evidence at the time was that it would be easily achievable to safely run the exams by mid-summer. Must have been a panic attack by someone in the DoE.
                                                                          DCU have commited to online exams in May 2021.

Comment

thread with 300+ incidents coalesced.

anyway...enough of that for now. I'm getting a tad obsessed with outrage

Comment

@Dom or anyone that can help. I was trying to change my email address in the user panel. I put in my password etc and it kept telling me this

ipb.PNG

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                Was a tough spot for them tbf, i would have gambled with early July but i dont have insight into correction/CAO timelines etc etc

I still think the funerals limited to 10 were a bit harsh, I can understand their thinking I guesss but 30 in a large church wouldnt have made much difference if it was kept to fasmily and a few close friends. I wonder how strictly the 10pax rule was implemented countrywide?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                  @Dom or anyone that can help. I was trying to change my email address in the user panel. I put in my password etc and it kept telling me this

ipb.PNG
                                                                                  Do it through an incognito window, Tony will explain what they are...
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Do it through an incognito window, Tony will explain what they are...
                                                                                    Very funny, after booking ryanair flights for years I know what it is. Not for that "gambling" site Tony needs it for

Comment

Ok, that didn't work. It told me the email address was already in use. Can a MOD please help me? Thanks

Comment

Cant really keep up with things these days but if someone has a note on their profile that says 'She/Her", what exactly does this mean?

Comment

to avoid them

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's the most stupid fucking thing. Emmet summarises it best ​​​​​​. Essentially the idea is to not assume someone identifies as male (he/him) or female just because they are a man or a woman. So to make it easier for transgender people to get this assumption broken down, woke folk who aren't transgender help them out with saying what their identified gender is. It's incredibly stupid.
                                                                                              I click on non-binary whenever I'm given the option. Ditto for Jedi, though that usually comes under 'other' and not an option as such.

Comment

...

Comment

Even riots can be funny

Comment

The Guardian just finished The 100 greatest UK No 1 singles series with top spot going to
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    Pet Shop Boys]

Surprising but not disappointing all. The lead singer's interview about it and the context and times is excellent (reasonably long read). Well worth listening to both versions of the track.
                                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 05-06-20, 20:31.

Comment

Tidied up my paternal grandparents grave this morning. Still haven't figured out how to carry potted plants on the bike without having to repot them on arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It's the most stupid fucking thing. Emmet summarises it best ​​​​​​. Essentially the idea is to not assume someone identifies as male (he/him) or female just because they are a man or a woman. So to make it easier for transgender people to get this assumption broken down, woke folk who aren't transgender help them out with saying what their identified gender is. It's incredibly stupid.
                                                                                                        I should have asked Dom or someone

Whats a woke folk lol

Comment

Lol Finkel
                                                                                                          "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                                          "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

The 'Someone feed Phil' series on Netflix is a real feel good tonic. I prescribe 1 episode daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                                                              Lol Finkel
                                                                                                              Wahoo, the band is back.

Good to see you dude

Comment

Love Hate started again tonight on RTÉ. May well get stuck back into that.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                  The Guardian just finished The 100 greatest UK No 1 singles series with top spot going to
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Pet Shop Boys]

Surprising but not disappointing all. The lead singer's interview about it and the context and times is excellent (reasonably long read). Well worth listening to both versions of the track.
                                                                                                                  No Benny no. You have fallen off the pedestal I had you on. I'm not finkle but I am fickle.

Comment

...

Comment

Would people be bothered going to pubs before they are able to open properly? Limited capacity and table service takes the whole point out of it really, might as well drink at home. Might be novelty for a couple of pints but that'll wear off. No mingling, little atmosphere, good chance only part of your group will get in, no chance of moving pubs.

​​​
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-06-20, 23:11.

Comment

Very difficult to discreetly open a can of draught Guinness.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

No Benny no. You have fallen off the pedestal I had you on. I'm not finkle but I am fickle.
                                                                                                                          Let's get back on track...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X