This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    The most racist and xenophobic countries tend not be white ones....just an observation...
    Finish that thought. What's the next sentence?
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Finish that thought. What's the next sentence?
      I don't really know. But I think it's fair comment and a reasonable thing to be aware of.

But consider, for example Burma. We're talking a scale of government-backed racist murder against the Rohingya that approaches and possibly goes beyond the definition of genocide.
      Or indeed what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs.

So yes, the murder of George Floyd was appalling.
      But on the scale of 'institutional racism worldwide', I don't think the US is anywhere near the top of the scale and is certainly nearer the bottom.

Absolutely racism should be tackled in all its manifestations but our reaction to it in America (a country whose last president was black, remember) seems different to it in other countries. That must say something in and of itself.

Like I say an observation. I am not excusing anything....
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

If, however, I was walking down Grafton Street and saw a small boy with an ice-cream cone enjoying a walk with his mother, I would not be justified to administer the same ball-kicking.

What type of ice-cream is it?

Comment

The most racist and xenophobic countries tend not be white ones....just an observation...
          Spent a while yesterday revisiting that issue, with maps and whatnot. RDIII is broadly correct. I also noted that Slovakians seemed to be a right shower.

Comment

Absolutely racism should be tackled in all its manifestations but our reaction to it in America (a country whose last president was black, remember) seems different to it in other countries. That must say something in and of itself.

Like I say an observation. I am not excusing anything....
            We live in the anglophone world. We also have a greater connection and affinity with the US than with countries in South East Asia. If we absorbed the amount of media and news from Burma that we do from America then maybe we would care more. And perhaps we should.

However, our lack of outrage at one incident is not a reason to reduce our outrage at another.

As for your "just an observation" duck out, I find that unconvincing. You were attempting to make a point. It was, as you expanded upon, a point to undermine the way people here are reacting to the George Floyd murder. So make the point. Those sort of "just saying" points are usually a way of attacking another argument without knowing exactly what you want to say or why. That's less than useless in a reasoned discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That's pretty funny imo, though I know it's 'too soon' for a lot of people. Any chance Lazare didn't notice the cops face had been pasted in?
              I’m not sure what it is. But I don’t think mocking the cop like that is racist.

Comment

How do you share a tweet on this forum ?
                https://www.pscp.tv/w/caeZMnR3LTYxOD...SndhFAQIpZ14oS lTBw20EqNH2I_kmw4_MsK7R2vZyYEZvQ==?t=1m38s
                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 04-06-20, 13:17.

Comment

If a white person said this ?? Interesting to see this POV

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/sta...818101248?s=19

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

We live in the anglophone world. We also have a greater connection and affinity with the US than with countries in South East Asia. If we absorbed the amount of media and news from Burma that we do from America then maybe we would care more. And perhaps we should.

However, our lack of outrage at one incident is not a reason to reduce our outrage at another.

As for your "just an observation" duck out, I find that unconvincing. You were attempting to make a point. It was, as you expanded upon, a point to undermine the way people here are reacting to the George Floyd murder. So make the point. Those sort of "just saying" points are usually a way of attacking another argument without knowing exactly what you want to say or why. That's less than useless in a reasoned discussion.
                      Again - Not a duck out, an observation.

If you want to me to respond in kind, I will say your lack of regard for the sufferings of the Uighurs and Rohingya is appalling.
                      See, we can both assume the moral high ground.
                      Nice view up here.

I am in no way attempting to lessen what's going on in the US or to undermine the reaction to it.
                      You however are glossing over other, worse tragedies with a 'perhaps we should care' line.
                      There's no perhaps about it; you should care.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Spent a while yesterday revisiting that issue, with maps and whatnot. RDIII is broadly correct. I also noted that Slovakians seemed to be a right shower.
                        Is that due to the Roma situation?

I remember wandering by mistake into the Roma area in this town and it was like going back two centuries. Must have been Lunix IX.

Lunik_IX_photo_Vladimir_Zivojinovic042_JPG.jpg​​​​​​​

Comment

If you want to me to respond in kind, I will say your lack of regard for the sufferings of the Uighurs and Rohingya is appalling.
                          See, we can both assume the moral high ground.
                          Nice view up here.

I am in no way attempting to lessen what's going on in the US or to undermine the reaction to it.
                          You however are glossing over other, worse tragedies with a 'perhaps we should care' line.
                          I like (and appreciate) responses in kind.

I never glossed over the other tragedies. But you did engage in a quick session of "whataboutery" which is a classic technique to distract from an argument about a specific issue. That is attempting to lessen what's happening in the US and to undermine the reaction to it. That's the purpose of that sort of comment/argument.

Comment

You'd have some weight on your shoulders caring about all of the world's wrongs. There's no rational reason to get worked up about any of it if it doesn't directly affect you.

Comment

I never glossed over the other tragedies. t.
                              Seems pretty glossy to me.

I am outraged at all these incidents.
                              You are not. And you are annoyed that I have highlighted this, hence the claims that I am somehow trying to undermine what is happening in the US.

That's perfectly fine by the way. But don't expect a free pass on it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

You'd have some weight on your shoulders caring about all of the world's wrongs. There's no rational reason to get worked up about any of it if it doesn't directly affect you.
                                Ah here , eggheads only care truly about the argument. Actual atrocities are just subject matter . You knew this right ?

Even HJ isnt a real feminist.

Comment

I am outraged at all these incidents.
                                  You are not. And you are annoyed that I have highlighted this, hence the claims that I am somehow trying to undermine what is happening in the US.
                                  Outraged by all wrongdoings everywhere or just those specific ones? If just those specific ones why not other wrongdoings, even ones you're not aware of. You should be outraged by every single calumny and wrongdoing and its a moral failing on your part if you are not. Starting to see how ludicrous and transparent your argument is yet?

I don't really have any outrage for things I know little about. I never claimed otherwise. To respond in kind, as you so pleasantly put it, you are annoyed that I have identified your entirely unhelpful "just saying" moment for the nonsense whataboutery that it is and you're trying to walk it back or turn it on your accuser. Which is not fine, and you won't get a free pass on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

it's a question? Just seemed like you had already filled in my answer. So was just curious.
                                    Yes, its a question. For several years you have defended Trump and pooh-poohed anyone who accused him of being a proto-fascist. Given the events of the last week or two that position seems (to me) even more ridiculous than it once was, however, I rarely ever see people admit they were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Use the twitter button

Comment

When we were discussing legalising Gay marriage you made a similar point. You said something to the effect that although you weren't opposed to it, there were far bigger injustices to right before we did that one. This talking point is completely without merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                          It's probably a bit of a sensitive time for whitey to start telling his black friend to not be racist. I'm nodding and grinning awkwardly for the duration of that one if it's me.
                                          You don't have to accuse him of racism. Those memes are offensive however sent them. All you have to do is tell him not to send you stuff like that.

Comment

Outraged by all wrongdoings everywhere or just those specific ones? If just those specific ones why not other wrongdoings, even ones you're not aware of. You should be outraged by every single calumny and wrongdoing and its a moral failing on your part if you are not. Starting to see how ludicrous and transparent your argument is yet?

I don't really have any outrage for things I know little about. I never claimed otherwise. To respond in kind, as you so pleasantly put it, you are annoyed that I have identified your entirely unhelpful "just saying" moment for the nonsense whataboutery that it is and you're trying to walk it back or turn it on your accuser. Which is not fine, and you won't get a free pass on it.
                                            You are doing precisely the thing you accused me of, except far worse.
                                            I haven't tried in any way to downplay the murder in Minnesota.
                                            I simply made an observation (which I see hotspur has agreed with by the way, so I do have one heavyweight on board here ) comparing different countries.

You're shrugging off an entire genocide with 'perhaps I should I care'. And yes - an informed person like you should know about these things and be able to objectively compare them. I'm rather surprised. Maybe have a read of this and you will acquire some perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Totally.

The memes themselves could be classed as mildly racist, racist nonetheless. Racism or racist intent if I received them from a different friend, or if I shared them.

I don't consider it racist intent when a black guy shares it.
                                              The memes themselves are offensive, the intent is neither here nor there. I think there is something wrong with you if you see what is happening in America and want to laugh about it.

Comment

You are doing precisely the thing you accused me of, except far worse.
                                                I haven't tried in any way to downplay the murder in Minnesota.
                                                I simply made an observation (which I see hotspur has agreed with by the way, so I do have one heavyweight on board here ) comparing different countries.

You're shrugging off an entire genocide with 'perhaps I should I care'. And yes - an informed person like you should know about these things and be able to objectively compare them. I'm rather surprised. Maybe have a read of this and you will acquire some perspective.
                                                Sorry RDIII but this is all bullshit.

What were you trying to convey with your first post in this series? It is a transparent attempt at whataboutery (tu quoque fallacy if you want the fancy stuff). People can't really be outraged about what's going on over there because they aren't also outraged about this other thing. That's just total nonsense. It's something the Soviet Union used for years.

Expressing a view about what's going on in the US, but remaining silent on a different issue in a different place involving different people, doesn't undermine the original point about the US. They are unrelated. You are trying to make this about the person who holds the viewpoint or opinion rather than about the opinion itself. It's one of the most obvious bullshit ways to argue because it's regularly effective.

You cannot justify what your first post was about, you said so yourself. The reason is that it was clearly an attempt to undermine those who expressed a view about the current protests and issues in the US and you don't want to own that. Maybe think about why you felt compelled to take that position and you will acquire some perspective.

Comment

Most funny jokes are offensive. You can be horrified by things and see humour in them at the same time. Joan Rivers used to say comedy was a great way to stop people whispering about things and get it out in the open.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                    Yes, its a question.
                                                    I meant my post was a question.

For several years you have defended Trump and pooh-poohed anyone who accused him of being a proto-fascist. Given the events of the last week or two that position seems (to me) even more ridiculous than it once was, however, I rarely ever see people admit they were wrong.
                                                    Why do you think that position is ridiculous?
                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-06-20, 14:58.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Started rewatching Peep Show. wow that was a great life decision. fck its genius.
                                                        it's very close to goat comedy show for me. When it comes to quotes that are applicable to many different situations, I think it's just above Seinfeld.
                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Respect for the S.Adams argumentative approach!
                                                          Finding the whole exchange strange. HJ asked me a question, presumed my answer, misconstrued my response, and now assumes I'm wrong because I don't agree with whatever he thinks?

Funny considering this was the last thing he said before this:

Originally posted by Hectorjelly
                                                          Do you think there is anything to be learnt from conducting an argument inside your own head based entirely on your own pre-conceived ideas of other peoples point of view?

Comment

Most funny jokes are offensive. You can be horrified by things and see humour in them at the same time. Joan Rivers used to say comedy was a great way to stop people whispering about things and get it out in the open.
                                                            It's very difficult to have civilised discussion on any kind of divisive topic right now, comedy is a good way at poking holes in certain arguments or ways of thinking. Looking forward to seeing what South Park makes of all this.
                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Is that due to the Roma situation?
                                                              It appears to be a main contributor yeah (although 40% of Slovaks also think homosexuals shouldn't live in the country).

I have noticed that there is that specific element to a lot of the least ethnically tolerant countries, that they have a specific ethnicity in mind which might be from a neighbouring historically imperialist country for example. The Indians are a disgrace, but then they are a disgrace within their caste system.

America is obviously not the worst, but their gun culture has produced a militaristic style of policing which results in the police killing a lot more people than culturally comparative countries. One in 5 police in America are ex-military, including Chauvin.

I was listening to an episode of a BBC podcast called Witness History a week ago on "the last survivor" of the transatlantic slave trade. She died in 1940 having been abducted in Africa as a child by slave traders.

That's incredibly recent. They were talking to her grandson. His grandmother was a slave! It's hard to get a true sense of the magnitude of this for American society.

Here's a stat comparison. As being pointed out in the media black Americans are 2.5 times more likely than whites to be killed by police. But black people are 6 times more likely to go to prison than white people. You can see that as part of the same racist criminal justice system (which is undoubtedly true to some extent). But you can also look at it and ponder why the rate of black killings by police is only 40% of what you might expect given the stats on criminal convictions among the black versus white people.

Comment

Waxing Gibbous today but will be full tomorrow...explains a lot...

This too shall pass.

Comment

Agreed on this, hard to find any joke that couldn't be seen to be offensive to someone. I'm firmly of the view that you can laugh at anything if you want to, it is up to me to find what I see funny and the moment we stop that is a sad day for freedom of expression. Often the best comedy comes from the darkest places, a little levity can be a wonderful thing.

At a funeral last year (suicide) my 7-yr old nephew asked me in the church "granddad bought a new chair for the sitting room a few weeks back", yes he did why do you ask? "just seems like an awful waste of money now". I laughed, and it was a lovely moment because the innocence of it all, but still I was laughing at a funeral...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Finding the whole exchange strange. HJ asked me a question, presumed my answer, misconstrued my response, and now assumes I'm wrong because I don't agree with whatever he thinks?

Funny considering this was the last thing he said before this:

It was a simple question, which you replied to with a question. Cool, I assume you don't want to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Agreed on this, hard to find any joke that couldn't be seen to be offensive to someone. I'm firmly of the view that you can laugh at anything if you want to, it is up to me to find what I see funny and the moment we stop that is a sad day for freedom of expression. Often the best comedy comes from the darkest places, a little levity can be a wonderful thing.

At a funeral last year (suicide) my 7-yr old nephew asked me in the church "granddad bought a new chair for the sitting room a few weeks back", yes he did why do you ask? "just seems like an awful waste of money now". I laughed, and it was a lovely moment because the innocence of it all, but still I was laughing at a funeral...
                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It was a simple question, which you replied to with a question. Cool, I assume you don't want to answer.
                                                                        This has been a bizarre exchange HJ.

Comment

ah, my Google Maps timeline for May just got sent to me

a small world indeed

Comment

Denny lost that one, usually much stronger ,poor round. Level of defence the big man himself would use.
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Trump is just going to keep doubling down isn't he. Still has no idea what a president's job is.

Comment

...

Comment

Trump is just going to keep doubling down isn't he. Still has no idea what a president's job is.
                                                                                  Never had, never will.
                                                                                  It took a pandemic to bring it right out in the open. I think I'm leaning towards a Biden win at this stage. As bad as he can be, I think people who don't always vote are going to vote out Trump.
                                                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Can't put that up as a video. It's a guy driving around fifth avenue and surrounds the morning after.
                                                                                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                        https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...sn=wa&d=w&vh=i

Can't put that up as a video. It's a guy driving around fifth avenue and surrounds the morning after.
                                                                                        is he saying 'all these stores got looted and that's why they have boards up' or 'all these stores have boards up in case they get looted'?

Comment

is he saying 'all these stores got looted and that's why they have boards up' or 'all these stores have boards up in case they get looted'?
                                                                                          I think he is saying that the glass was broken in all those stores. Did you see the bit about the Trump building? Secret service were there protecting it.

Comment

I never ask normally but these 2 heros need our support

THIS IS an emergency appeal from the editorial board of WWN: Free speech has never been more important, and the cost of speaking out has never been so great. Anyone switching on their TVs, or scrolling through …

Comment

I'd be willing to fund a permanent trip to a mental institution for both of them.

Comment

McMillions is brilliant. You'd struggle to write fiction as far-fetched.

Comment

McMillions is brilliant. You'd struggle to write fiction as far-fetched.
                                                                                                  You haven't seen the Epstein doc I take it ?
                                                                                                  SPOILER

JK...kinda, he was obvs a sick fuck but a lot of legal age women who took the jets and the holidays and the shoulder rubbing are not victims and demand their payday !

One in particular...the way she looks at the camera after telling her story, it was like the way someone would look to a director in a "was that ok" ...she suffered terribly....and then went on to hand over her 17 year old sister to him....
                                                                                                  Last edited by oleras; 04-06-20, 22:36.
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I have been listening to some of Lex Fridman podcasts after discovering him from his interview with the guy from the Alpha go, team. In his latest podcast, he interviews his Dad who is a physicist and I think it is a great listen. Fridman I would guess can be a little monotone and unexcitable for some people's tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

it's candace owens.
                                                                                                      She's a disengenious moron who is controversial for cash.
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The issue is a lot more complicated than this post makes it out to be. Joan Rivers wasn't arguing for comedians to be free to make casually racist jokes, she was talking about subjects that are typically taboo, and how comedy is a good way to get them out in the open. She did a great podcast last year with NPR's fresh air if you want to actually understand the point she was making it, and not use it as an incorrect defense of casual racism.

Comment

The issue is a lot more complicated than this post makes it out to be. Joan Rivers wasn't arguing for comedians to be free to make casually racist jokes, she was talking about subjects that are typically taboo, and how comedy is a good way to get them out in the open. She did a great podcast last year with NPR's fresh air if you want to actually understand the point she was making it, and not use it as an incorrect defense of casual racism.
                                                                                                          Must have been pretty great given that she died in 2014!

Comment

Next you'll be telling us there are no funny rape jokes!

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

it's candace owens.
                                                                                                              I'm no fan but I did find this interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozzer View Post

Must have been pretty great given that she died in 2014!
                                                                                                                I thought she sounded frail all right.

Comment

Ah HJ, come on. He didn't once defend casual racism, he replied to your claim that there's something wrong with you if you laugh at what's going on in America.

It may have been sneaky of me to omit the fact that my friend was black in my op, but I was interested to see the response. I think you were right in what you replied, in fact I pulled a different friend up on it last night in a whatsapp group and he apologised. Was way more offensive than what my black friend sent though.

I found it fascinating though to receive them from my black friend, as they took on a totally different meaning. I spoke to him about it yesterday and told him about our exchange here and he laughed.

He told me he received them from his white friends, Dublin lads. 'Let me tell you about racism' he said, 'from someone who knows what it is'. 'Racism is all about intent. My friends sent them to me to make me laugh, because they knew I would, and I did. That's not racism'.

Neither you or I are an authority on what's offensive to anybody.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

it's candace owens.
                                                                                                                    No good guys in this story really tho just villains, a shitty system and a country that has been stirred up to boiling point by their own version of Nero - fiddling the statistics while Washington burns.

I dont think anyone is calling him a hero or at least they shouldn't be. He was innocent (as of yet not guilty at least) and killed in an incredibly cruel way. If it was wartime and an enemy prisoner was killed this way there would be questioned let alone a citizen you are sworn to protect.

Hero would imply that he made the choice to stand up - he isn't rosa parks or martin luther.

Depending on your definition of Martyr I guess she could be right that it may require some sort of a decision to be made.

The guy died for a box of cigarettes or 20 dollars depending on what way you look at it - that is where the US is at the moment. Imo thats worse than just innocent bystander gets killed which he is being painted as. You actually can quantify the value of his life in the end.

When a crime that small can get you killed if your black, I cant really get my head around people saying that the US is less racist than other countries or not suppressing a large portion of the nation or comparatively less than others. It's astonishing in a modern, well educated and developed nation that you can be killed for a pack of smokes.

Comment

Just dropped in to the Maddie thread on boards to see how all the Colombo’s who had it pinned on the parents are coping with the latest revelations
                                                                                                                      not well being the answer

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Just dropped in to the Maddie thread on boards to see how all the Colombo’s who had it pinned on the parents are coping with the latest revelations
                                                                                                                        not well being the answer
                                                                                                                        I was wondering how I was going to amuse myself since the COVID threads have dwindled to trolls badly trolling other trolls (with occasional bouts of eagle eye improving the quality).

Comment

By the way, "the cadaver dog reported a corpse in the apartment" must be the most bored-housewife sentence ever constructed in the English language

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X