• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No real reason, just because.

Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson at the UT student union ballroom. 9.18.08
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
      You heard the same interview i did on Newstalk ?
      No, didn't even know they were on it. I used to listen to Newstalk a lot going in/out of work but haven't listened to it in almost 7 weeks. Once all this shite started, I've only been listening to music to/from work. Couldn't face the constant talk about Covid19 so have switched off pretty much all news on radio/tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
        No, didn't even know they were on it. I used to listen to Newstalk a lot going in/out of work but haven't listened to it in almost 7 weeks. Once all this shite started, I've only been listening to music to/from work. Couldn't face the constant talk about Covid19 so have switched off pretty much all news on radio/tv.
        Bobby Kerr had the MD on, you must be close to a lobbyist for them.

Bobby Kerr talks to the people behind Irish businesses, both big and small.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          FIFA chief medical officer said today he doesnt want any games played before September 1st. Didnt elaborate when pushed on it by Bryan Swanson.

Cant find the tweet now for some reason. But it was on his own Twitter account.
          There's a vacuum right now and every utterance or news snippet is being seized upon. Scotland wraps it up, Germany says it will play on behind closed doors, Holland void the season, Italy say players can start training again. UEFA say try and finish, UK government say they want resuming behind closed doors to be explored, UEFA apparently set a deadline for leagues to make a decision, FIFA say contract / season end dates could be extended, FIFA CMO says he doesn't think they should proceed.

It's all conflicting messaging that only serves to make one thing clear: every silo has to figure this out themselves and no hard decisions have been made for multiple leagues as of yet.

If the EPL could get up and running in June behind closed doors there are enormous amounts of money and plaudits to go round. TV money, wages, bonuses, political gratitude and gambling. The motivations to do it are massive, the political will is there. That's a powerful mixture. But we'll see.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Nostalgia, them were the days
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Agree with that. We'll see seems to be the only thing we can do with this situation. I said before I havent missed it all which is very surprising to me so I'm indifferent as to whether they play to a finish or not. It wont affect my life. I'm more focused on the Govt and GAA to see when I can get back training, idgaf if we have no games this year, its just the craic at training I miss and everything that goes with that and I'd guarantee we would get 20+ lads at every training session when we are allowed.

Comment

Is there any reasonable logistical explanation why the PL season can't finish behind closed doors? Is the sole reason just fear of spread of the virus?

I see the Telegraph is giving a figure of 300 people needed to stage a given match. That sounds high and includes a lot of media. Even if it's 100% necessary to have 300 people at the ground for every match, it still doesn't sound too difficult to pull off.

(also, what I want to happen, what I think will happen, and what I think should happen are obviously all different things)
                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                  How is the little chap getting on?
                  He's a champ. Flying. Gona type out a ramble but short version of the year he's had. Prob do me good.

Coming up to a year since Surgery no.1. The effects of only having half the heart were starting to show as expected. Breathing very fast, body trying to get oxygen. Rotten to watch but he didn't give a shit. Operation went smooth. Surgeon declared his happiness. His ICU nurse was literally dancing about how handy she had it. Went off for the few hours when they close ICU, Come back for the night time hours and they had it closed down. 5 other anxious couples waiting outside, a nurse appears and calls us to the side. Have no idea what she said, I just kept asking is he alive. Head in and there's a team of people around him being led by a doc while someone is scanning the heart. He's had a blast off the crashcart already, keep adding in new volumes of various drugs. We're told he's suffering an arrhythmia, they've no idea why and no idea how it's going to go. Overnight everything settles and the slow and steady recovery starts. He flies through it and we're home 8 days later, the whole cardiac team still baffled but happy.

We had weekly appointments in Crumlin then til Op no.2. There's a team of about 8 cardiologists and 3 surgeons, each child gets one of each but all decisions are made at conference between them all. Class system. He's brought in for his cardiac catheterisation, a day procedure where they go in and map out the heart and measure all the pressures and other intricate things to make sure you're OK for surgery, they of course find another issue. Our situation and history took a few conferences for them to decide what to do. He now needed 2 procedures in one open heart surgery and they decided to connect pacemaker wires and left them wrapped up ready to quickly slice out in the solar plexus for when the inevitable arrhythmia happens.

The day before you go in and do bloods and get all the other crap done then go home and sleep. A perk of not being a million miles away. Go back up for 7am the next morning and await what way the surgeons want to do their 3 surgeries of the day. We were cancelled the first time after doing the afternoon of invasive testing which is horrible on the kid. All done for nothing and would have to be repeated. Alot of other babies and children are cancelled on multiple times, it's to be expected. There's so many emergences for various reasons and only really two main surgeons looking after 32 counties worth of cardiac children. We were told no mater what the following week it would be done as we'd be in emergency territory ourselves then.

Tests done. Home to sleep. Were told he's up first the next day. Up to 6 hours in theatre, ICU for 5 days and 3 weeks on the ward. Brace ourselves. Surgery is a complete success and took just over half the time, a massive bonus when you're on a bypass machine . He flies through ICU and is out 2 days early. He left ICU in his cot feeding himself a bottle like a hungover teen skulling water. He'd never fed himself before. Few sleepless days on the ward basically weaning off the drugs and job done in 8 days total.

Dieticians told us he'd always be small and underweight whilst ignorantly plotting him on the graph and showing us. They were wrong. Discharged.

He'd need physio and help with development. Nope. Discharged.

The amount of appointments and various people we've seen. Discharged from everything except cardiology obv. We're very very very lucky. Coronavirus stopped his big check up from happening so it's been pushed back til end of next month, we'll know more then. Its almost standard for there to be some little issue so we will wait and see. He goes blue from time to time but that's his normal so fuck it. He's always happy and smiling. You wouldn't know what he's been through looking at him unless you saw his chest, big beautiful scar and it looks like someone's left their charger in his solar plexus.

Op No.3 will be in the next 18 to 30 months and that should see him through til there's a long term fix he'll be offered or wait for the onset of heart and liver failure and go with the options available,which is expected to not be an issue til his 30s.

He's flying and will continue to crush.

Comment

Jesus CHD, that's must be very tough to deal with. At least you all will have a break from it for now. Hope it continues to go well.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Little legend chad
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Go on big chad, mammy chad and little hero chad. Battler's one and all.
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Gimme that bottle ye cunts. Deadly.

Comment

Was hearing Rocky music in my head reading that. Amazing little baby . Perspective taken on board

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                              Is there any reasonable logistical explanation why the PL season can't finish behind closed doors? Is the sole reason just fear of spread of the virus?

I see the Telegraph is giving a figure of 300 people needed to stage a given match. That sounds high and includes a lot of media. Even if it's 100% necessary to have 300 people at the ground for every match, it still doesn't sound too difficult to pull off.

(also, what I want to happen, what I think will happen, and what I think should happen are obviously all different things)
                              The Duckworth Lewis method should apply . There must be an algorithm to end the season . Isnt everything about Maths ?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                not a chance we would get that free time now
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I saw the Telegraph graphic, I won't repost it because fuck them.

It's completely ludicrous, it assumes all of the personnel you would have onsite for a Premier League Super Sunday with all the media trimmings. Right off the bat, we don't need commentators or presenters at the ground, they can commentate remotely on a live stream. We also don't need written press or photographers present. Doping control can be suspended. They assume a four man match day furniture team. Can we make do with two? We then assume full squads, full coaching and medical staff, surely they can trim a bit there?

In any case, I was able to take 100 from their 300 number quite easily. I don't doubt that a Premier League game is a much bigger and more complex thing than we might assume, and a minimum of 150 people may need to be in the area for it to work. That said, they can use outdoor training pitches and construct temporary facilities around them that build in social distancing.

This is a question of money and will. If the money is there (and we think it is) and the will is there (and we know it is from multiple stakeholders involved) it can be done.

I do agree with dobby generally though - I haven't missed it and most days I don't even think about it.
                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      not a chance we would get that free time now
                                      really? You're doing it wrong.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Great stuff CHD!

Comment

That day/night was so much fun

Comment

Social distancing and the game dynamics of football don't go hand in hand. If they bring back Premier League games then all leagues down to Sunday league should be allowed to play right?
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I read through the last few pages of this, watched a few of the videos - lots of former IPBers no longer post here anymore, only when reading the thread do I notice. Regardless of that, I had completely forgotten about that tournament/day/night and the craic that was had!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                I read through the last few pages of this, watched a few of the videos - lots of former IPBers no longer post here anymore, only when reading the thread do I notice. Regardless of that, I had completely forgotten about that tournament/day/night and the craic that was had!
                                                Zuutroy doing Elvis.

Comment

What's going on in the UK really is terrible. Not surprising given their gleeful fucking of their society down the drain the last decade, but terrible nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                    Social distancing and the game dynamics of football don't go hand in hand. If they bring back Premier League games then all leagues down to Sunday league should be allowed to play right?
                                                    If one person on a team gets it, whole team potentially isolated for two weeks, maybe even the team they played too. Postponements then and schedule all over place, could get messy quite easily.

That being said would love a game or two a day world cup style while were at nothing
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                      If one person on a team gets it, whole team potentially isolated for two weeks, maybe even the team they played too. Postponements then and schedule all over place, could get messy quite easily.

That being said would love a game or two a day world cup style while were at nothing
                                                      Wait for the furore of people who dont have Sky Sports and cant go to the pub.

Have to say don't miss any of it at all. Break is good sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        Zuutroy doing Elvis.
                                                        Both proud and incredibly embarrassed by those performances at the same time. Didn't think that was possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                          Given what's going on does anyone know are interest rates likely to stay low for the next couple of years or foreseeable future?
                                                          My view is that short term they'll be incredibly low, but 3+ years out there's more of a liklihood of rate rises.
                                                          Originally posted by paul8200 View Post
                                                          Forever surely. So much debt out there, corporate and sovereign, that it's completely impractical and affordable to ever increase rates again baring a global meltdown, wipe-out, years of Apocalypse scenarios and reset to new world order......
                                                          Well the first part would be the CB's either not reinvesting, or actively selling the securities they're currently buying. that in itself could see significant rate rises. also don't underestimate the huge potential for inflation, we've never seen so much monetary pumping co-ordinated at one time, and with any move towards nationalism/protectionism you don't have the escape value of globalisation to protect you from it.

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                          What's deemed a good variable rate nowadays and how long and at how low would people want to lock in to a fixed rate?

I've been meaning to look at my mortgage for ages but have never got around to it.
                                                          Depends on your job I think. for PS workers or those with little variable pay i'd be inclined to fix for longer i.e. my sister is a PS teacher on her own, fixing €350/month for 10 years makes perfect sense as she won't move in that time. If you're in a bonus/commission type role maybe youre desire/abilty to repay chunks might be higher, as would your upward mobility so would likely go shorter there.

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                          I saw the Telegraph graphic, I won't repost it because fuck them.

It's completely ludicrous, it assumes all of the personnel you would have onsite for a Premier League Super Sunday with all the media trimmings. Right off the bat, we don't need commentators or presenters at the ground, they can commentate remotely on a live stream. We also don't need written press or photographers present. Doping control can be suspended. They assume a four man match day furniture team. Can we make do with two? We then assume full squads, full coaching and medical staff, surely they can trim a bit there?

In any case, I was able to take 100 from their 300 number quite easily. I don't doubt that a Premier League game is a much bigger and more complex thing than we might assume, and a minimum of 150 people may need to be in the area for it to work. That said, they can use outdoor training pitches and construct temporary facilities around them that build in social distancing.

This is a question of money and will. If the money is there (and we think it is) and the will is there (and we know it is from multiple stakeholders involved) it can be done.

I do agree with dobby generally though - I haven't missed it and most days I don't even think about it.
                                                          Am i the only one who thinks 300 people in a stadium set up to cater from 40,000-85,000 is not a big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            Wait for the furore of people who dont have Sky Sports and cant go to the pub.

Have to say don't miss any of it at all. Break is good sometimes.
                                                            Same as yourself,Lloyd and Dobby. Haven't missed a second of football. Thought it was because it is constant but i really miss the Golf. Although that maybe punting related.

If NFL gets pulled though i will be sick. That's only a 4.5 month season anyway. Just over 3 months for me usually as a Browns fan.

The NFL situation should be an interesting follow actually. There's not a league in the world that cares less about its players. The money is so big. They'll do everything in their power to make it happen.

I have no idea what the outcome will be though.

Comment

I'd expect NFL will scrap the London/Mexico matches this year.
                                                              Then maybe come up with a once-off schedule which limits travel. There's no need for Jets and Patriots to be travelling to Seattle and San Fran as they are scheduled.
                                                              Keep it more local even if that means Dallas play Houston 3 times. (Schedule is always unbalanced anyway).

That's kind of easy stuff though, still huge issues over fans, pre-match stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                Same as yourself,Lloyd and Dobby. Haven't missed a second of football. Thought it was because it is constant but i really miss the Golf. Although that maybe punting related.

If NFL gets pulled though i will be sick. That's only a 4.5 month season anyway. Just over 3 months for me usually as a Browns fan.

The NFL situation should be an interesting follow actually. There's not a league in the world that cares less about its players. The money is so big. They'll do everything in their power to make it happen.

I have no idea what the outcome will be though.
                                                                Had a couple of punts on the outlaw tour this week out of boredom.

I’m the same as you only really enjoy watching golf and NFL on a weekly basis. Golf is the easiest of the sports to play with no fans so hopeful the schedule they put out goes ahead.
                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                  I'd expect NFL will scrap the London/Mexico matches this year.
                                                                  Then maybe come up with a once-off schedule which limits travel. There's no need for Jets and Patriots to be travelling to Seattle and San Fran as they are scheduled.
                                                                  Keep it more local even if that means Dallas play Houston 3 times. (Schedule is always unbalanced anyway).

That's kind of easy stuff though, still huge issues over fans, pre-match stuff.
                                                                  The NFL will figure it out. They will find a way to play the games behind closed doors and deliver redone every Sunday. I have full faith in them.

Comment

"Analysis by Edge Health, a leading supplier of data to the NHS, shows that each fixture is linked to between 2.5 and 3.5 additional deaths per day at local hospitals 20 to 35 days later, compared with similar hospital trusts which were used as a control."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                      https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...navirus-death/

"Analysis by Edge Health, a leading supplier of data to the NHS, shows that each fixture is linked to between 2.5 and 3.5 additional deaths per day at local hospitals 20 to 35 days later, compared with similar hospital trusts which were used as a control."
                                                                      Took a look at the top comments on that article. Telegraph readers do not like that report!

Comment

Local sports radio here has mentioned that there's talk of hub cities. Dallas metroplex being one of them due to the number of large stadia around(something like 7+ stadia of 30,000+ capacity) Several teams based here and play against each other. Reduce the amount of travel but the show must go on

Comment

College ball won't be as easy to figure out. Could screw up future draft prospects and draft for the next few years

Comment

Well I suspect if that data was sent for peer review it would be torn to shreds. Coming to these conclusions when we don't know the mechanics of spread, whether children are effective spreaders etc seems like nothing but clickbait. If they can draw that conclusion, then what about all of the airports. They must surely be 10x worse?

Comment

Att Shrap , teaching the kid Alouette. He wants to know why they dont pluck the wings . So when preparing a lark do you leave the wings as is and also how do you pluck a beak ? I have no answers for him

Also do the French eat Larks .

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                College ball won't be as easy to figure out. Could screw up future draft prospects and draft for the next few years
                                                                                There's talk of the scouts apparently stock piling footage of the players way more than usual now, there'll be a split from teams who try to trade away picks and those who roll the dice if no footage.

I hope it does, rag2gar is supposedly going to be here around thanksgiving and I was planning to go the Texas A&M vs LSU game which should have 100,000 plus at it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                  Both proud and incredibly embarrassed by those performances at the same time. Didn't think that was possible.
                                                                                  Reminds me of the joke, how do you compliment and piss of the wife at the same time ?

SPOILER
                                                                                  You give a better blowjob than your sister.
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I see the Boris Brexit baby has arrived.

He can add it to the pile of fathered children that he won't admit to knowing the number of.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                      Att Shrap , teaching the kid Alouette. He wants to know why they dont pluck the wings . So when preparing a lark do you leave the wings as is and also how do you pluck a beak ? I have no answers for him

Also do the French eat Larks .
                                                                                      it's a Canadian song. Take it out on Theresa (he's the closest thing to a Canadian we have in these parts)!!

you do pluck the wings in the song. French used to eat larks (they ate everyting tbh), but not anymore as far as i'm aware

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                        it's a Canadian song. Take it out on Theresa (he's the closest thing to a Canadian we have in these parts)!!

you do pluck the wings in the song. French used to eat larks (they ate everyting tbh), but not anymore as far as i'm aware

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                          I think a huge amount of conversation on this topic is massively biased, and most punters are hope casting based on what they want to happen much more than they are making a prediction what they think will happen.

If I was hope casting I would wonder why the fuck starting next season should be considered more important than finishing the remaining (and most important part) of this season? I'd also note the extraordinary practical difficulties of declaring European qualifications / promotions / relegations on the basis of the games played to date or not declaring those things at all. Finally, I'd suggest that not finishing this season will challenge the competitive integrity of these competitions which, after all, have generally not been voided or incomplete since the last world war.

Moving back to an objective prediction, I think the UK government desperately needs some positive morale boosting news and finding a way to complete the football with some private sector solutionising and ingenuity fits with their political objectives. It will demonstrate that they are in control and able to match the Germans yada yada, blah blah. I also think that selfish concerns from individual clubs or the players union or whatever would be dragged through the absolute mud by the conservative UK press, a public relations nightmare that those interests likely wish to avoid at all costs. And ultimately the real money behind football, the tv interests, paid handsomely for their monkeys and will find ways to not so subtly insist they dance.

I also think ultimately that this is achievable, particularly if personnel involved are reduced to bare minimums and games are played in controlled neutral locations. And if the Germans find a way, the EPL will be told to go and fucking figure it out.
                                                                                          For transparency, I'm a united fan and yes I would get much enjoyment out of the fallout if season scrapped but I've accepted Liverpool at present are fantastic side and are actually great team to watch.

If you put a gun to my head I'd agree and say UK government will get it done. What about ambulances and doctors etc at games? Isn't it mandatory to have emergency vehicles present at all games? Doctors too outside of clubs medical teams (Could be wrong on that)? Seems fairly distasteful to be playing games whilst people dying left and right in care homes etc.

Police will have to be deployed as usual, as you will still get an element rocking up to the grounds. Then what happens if one player or member of staff gets infected? Who isolates? Opposition too? For how long? When do they then fulfil their remaining fixtures?

European football competitions are on the same annual calendar. Allowing counties do their own thing, in my opinion, risks next season too. Germany are going ahead apparently, France and the Dutch are not. Italy saying training can resume in May but I'd be shocked if they play before September.

Whole thing needs the top bodies to pull together and make a decision for everyone. CMO of FIFA gave his opinion yesterday, why does he have the job if people are not willing to listen.

Comment

If they have to void the season, fair enough on safety/timing issues. They should still award Liverpool the title though. Just ask City (only team who can catch them mathematically) do they concede the race. Time for sportsmanship the days we are in.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVelvetFog View Post
                                                                                              CMO of FIFA gave his opinion yesterday, why does he have the job if people are not willing to listen.
                                                                                              Presumably when he got the job FIFA employed him on his knowledge of doping, PEDs, concussion, with an input into scheduling (recommended gaps between games) and possible rules changes to alleviate the more common football injuries. Football medical stuff.

There's no particular reason to suspect FIFA had the foresight to employ an expert on pandemics. So his opinion may be no more relevant that your local GPs on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                Presumably when he got the job FIFA employed him on his knowledge of doping, PEDs, concussion, with an input into scheduling (recommended gaps between games) and possible rules changes to alleviate the more common football injuries. Football medical stuff.

There's no particular reason to suspect FIFA had the foresight to employ an expert on pandemics. So his opinion may be no more relevant that your local GPs on this issue.
                                                                                                You're reaching here a bit I think. Comparing him to local GP is a bit silly. Ebola in African a very real thing and world cup held there not so long ago. I'd say its safe to assume he has an idea what hes talking about

Comment

If they have to void the season, fair enough on safety/timing issues. They should still award Liverpool the title though. Just ask City (only team who can catch them mathematically) do they concede the race. Time for sportsmanship the days we are in.

eek::eek

Comment

The dangers of not really looking at phone while playing on pokio.

I just miss-clicked fold with 7777, in 5 card plo and then miss-clicked call for 200 bbs with bottom pair and then had to call of 60 more bbs with 2 pair (which is usually never good ), to win a 600bb pot .

in 25c - 50c 5 card plo, getting tagged as fish now anyway (which is true of course anyway)
                                                                                                    sigpic
                                                                                                    Longshotvalue.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                      I thought you folded the flop, the turn and river came 7 - 7.
                                                                                                      there was 7 on flop and i called, i hit the pre fold button on the 4th 7 by mistake. .

U at this table.. Ya got to love this 5 card plo.
                                                                                                      sigpic
                                                                                                      Longshotvalue.com

Comment

Even if that happens the title will always come with an asterisk on the records. Have to go out and win again proper next year
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          I see the Boris Brexit baby has arrived.

He can add it to the pile of fathered children that he won't admit to knowing the number of.
                                                                                                          I can already imagine the use of "youngest" as a constant dig at him. Good.
                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                            Even if that happens the title will always come with an asterisk on the records. Have to go out and win again proper next year
                                                                                                            Lol. Next year?

I'd be willing to bet the 2020/2021 season will not start as planned on 8 August 2020. So, by that logic, another asterisk.
                                                                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TheVelvetFog View Post
                                                                                                              For transparency, I'm a united fan and yes I would get much enjoyment out of the fallout if season scrapped but I've accepted Liverpool at present are fantastic side and are actually great team to watch.

If you put a gun to my head I'd agree and say UK government will get it done. What about ambulances and doctors etc at games? Isn't it mandatory to have emergency vehicles present at all games? Doctors too outside of clubs medical teams (Could be wrong on that)? Seems fairly distasteful to be playing games whilst people dying left and right in care homes etc.

Police will have to be deployed as usual, as you will still get an element rocking up to the grounds. Then what happens if one player or member of staff gets infected? Who isolates? Opposition too? For how long? When do they then fulfil their remaining fixtures?

European football competitions are on the same annual calendar. Allowing counties do their own thing, in my opinion, risks next season too. Germany are going ahead apparently, France and the Dutch are not. Italy saying training can resume in May but I'd be shocked if they play before September.

Whole thing needs the top bodies to pull together and make a decision for everyone. CMO of FIFA gave his opinion yesterday, why does he have the job if people are not willing to listen.
                                                                                                              Next season is already at risk, let's put that thing to one side right now. Logically speaking, I think football would be better served trying to finish this season than fail to complete two seasons in a row. There are numerous reasons why I think that to be the case, but on the simplest level it makes more sense for them to potentially use limited time to play higher stakes fixtures that relate to what is normally the most important and highly viewed / speculated part of the season. Because they'll make more money that way, which is what it is all about.

As a Utd fan, throwing up all of those problems is hope casting. Me as a Liverpool fan saying they can all be overcome is hope casting. A middle ground is to simply suggest that in an extraordinary situation like this where everything is on the table it's likely they can redraw the rulebook significantly for matches in such a way that medical support staff requirements are dramatically reduced. But fundamentally this is only going to happen in a context where the UK has got the thing substantially under control, with small numbers of new cases and deaths each day and plenty of hospital capacity back into the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                Lol. Next year?

I'd be willing to bet the 2020/2021 season will not start as planned on 8 August 2020. So, by that logic, another asterisk.
                                                                                                                The Tokyo 2020 President seeing things clearly this week, noting that the revised 2021 date was highly unlikely to come to pass in the absence of a vaccine or some dramatic change to the medical landscape. In the absence of that coming to pass, we'll see three or four limited windows between waves of infection in which sport can take place. As such, focussing on "next season" in any sport seems mad to me. If you get a window to finish out current calendars, take it. If you even get a window.

The Olympics is certainly going to have massive difficulties legitimately qualifying athletes in all the various sports, particularly when many of those sports don't have huge money / levels of professionalism behind them. Even if football does, thinking that this conversation is a case of finishing this season versus delaying the start to next season substantially misses the point imo.

Comment

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Fintans EPT FT on EPT Retro atm

Comment

Was lovely to read that post Chad, big smiles.

Gimmebreak cracking the whip. Has had enough with the bending of facts and poor old AidanK gets it in the neck! Olive branch smashed to the ground.

Can access BB thread again from my phone. Hoorah!

Comment

This is how to spend a good day in lockdown, biscoff cake, fucking unreal:

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                        no there wasn't and you didn't call a flop bet.. The flop was 1042 rainbow and there followed the 7c and 7s, you revealed 7h and 7d. So unless you have A3577 or 35677 you weren't calling the flop. I can send you the hand history if you are confused?
                                                                                                                        youre right of course, i had missed the flop completely i think. Hey at least i didnt do something that stupid so. I just came back to the phone and probably didnt realize i had been folded.

Ill say nothing about calling down a bluffer who hit a very unlikely straight on the river for a 600bb pot. anyway its a fun game to say the least.
                                                                                                                        sigpic
                                                                                                                        Longshotvalue.com

Comment

Irish online wine sales with broadest selection?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X