X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      It's a pain, but would it better just to accept a missing year at this stage and the majority of children just repeat the year. Ultimately there's no hurry.
      How much of the year will they have missed? About nine weeks for secondary schools, just let it slide by and concentrate on sorting out the leaving students. Re-doing a whole year seems overkill for 9 weeks missed. Start repeating years and what happens if we have a second wave in the winter and they're all home again?

Primary school will have missed a few extra weeks but that's not the end of the world. Over the course of their student life it's a small percentage of time.

Comment

Regarding the previous oil talk - 19 tankers currenrly off the coast of L.A. which is about triple the normal. Article below has a video half way down showing them all out in the bay.

Comment

It's not just group mutings that are good on Whatsapp. I have nearly everybody muted, the more you talk to me the more chance you have of being muted. I muted me own mother.
          I learned this lesson from an ex since she is an "influencer", but like a real one, she got so many messages on whatsapp/instagram/youtube/email every day that it would drive you crazy to have notifications. Life is much more peaceful now with everything muted, including her. I kid.

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          I've decided to stop eating meat for the week out of boredom.
          When I was a teenager I did a week of only being allowed to eat foods you never had for the craic, it was great to expand my palette so much. Crazy asian foods and all teh grains people take for granted now out the wazoo.

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
          For any gamers here, Total War: Shogun 2 is currently free on steam (instead of £24.99)
          I went to get this, of course I already own it, such is the nature of steam. Thousand games owned, play 5 of them.

Comment

French football season cancelled and no sporting events whatsoever until September.

Have been thinking this would happen everywhere but Prem honchos seem pretty bullish that they will be back in late May early June. What's peoples thoughts on this? UK numbers are beginning to stabilize but I'm not sure what there testing per capita is in comparison to France for example?

I just find it hard to imagine how team sports can return from a logistics point of view alone in the current environment, even if behind closed doors.

Separately, I took some inspiration from GAB and have built myself a shed and some decking. Not quite finished but will post a pic for those interested once finished.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVelvetFog View Post
              French football season cancelled and no sporting events whatsoever until September.

Have been thinking this would happen everywhere but Prem honchos seem pretty bullish that they will be back in late May early June. What's peoples thoughts on this? UK numbers are beginning to stabilize but I'm not sure what there testing per capita is in comparison to France for example?

I just find it hard to imagine how team sports can return from a logistics point of view alone in the current environment, even if behind closed doors.

Separately, I took some inspiration from GAB and have built myself a shed and some decking. Not quite finished but will post a pic for those interested once finished.
              If Germany get up and running behind closed doors there will be huge political / public pressure for the U.K. to match the Krauts.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                If Germany get up and running behind closed doors there will be huge political / public pressure for the U.K. to match the Krauts.
                I expect the players union will have a big say in any return.
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Looks like no change on Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    I had a small drill bit that I was using to drill pilot holes for screws for my woodwork projects. probably 2mm or 3mm in dia. The problem is I only had one, the next problem being that if I broke it I basically couldn't do any work. Well guess what, I broke it. Does anybody know anywhere I'd get one?

These are delivering I believe

Comment

Found a source for strong and 00 flour. Only large bags...Now I have 31 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                        Possibly yes. Just can't see how the current government don't make a complete balls of it. Be interesting to see what UK numbers would be look like if they ramped up the testing. Am I right in saying they are still low on the table in comparison to the other big euro countries?

EDIT: just seen this https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ntil-september

Surely FIFA/UEFA just take this out of governements hands and say season cancelled, sorry. Agree deals with top leagues to defer some of the following seasons prize money to lower leagues etc. Hard to sort, sure, but it just seems even more difficult to start some leagues and not others without it badly affecting next season too.
                        Last edited by TheVelvetFog; 28-04-20, 15:01.

Comment

I had a small drill bit that I was using to drill pilot holes for screws for my woodwork projects. probably 2mm or 3mm in dia. The problem is I only had one, the next problem being that if I broke it I basically couldn't do any work. Well guess what, I broke it. Does anybody know anywhere I'd get one?
                          TJ O'Mahony's in Prosperous. Ring them and order a few bits (pardon the pun) and they'll deliver...

This for example.

Btw Did you ever get a call back from the HSE re your volunteering?
                          Last edited by V for Vendetta; 28-04-20, 14:56.
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

amazon

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                              Looks like no change on Tuesday
                              Where are you seeing that? Have been told a few changes will happen with some easing of restrictions and some sectors back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                Where are you seeing that? Have been told a few changes will happen with some easing of restrictions and some sectors back to work.
                                RTE stream. Leo saying he hasn't seen enough. Could still be posturing I guess.

Comment

Article in the IT just now noting that the bad behaviour of normies is being blamed for the decision to extend the lockdown by the exact amount of time it is set to take for the government to finally hit the 15k tests a day they have been promising was imminent since the middle of March.

Meanwhile things normies probably have no influence over causing the (vast?) bulk of the issues - nursing homes, direct provision centres, day trippers over the borders not being subject to the rules etc. Why didn't anyone arrest those cunts hanging around waiting for GO'D and that other tosspot?

Comment

Ah, don't watch telly or anything during the day so didn't see it. Have been told unofficially to be expected back in work next week with construction sites looking likely to open, boss will confirm or not at the weekend. I don't expect the 2km or anything else to be lifted tbh.

Comment

Why didn't anyone arrest those cunts hanging around waiting for GO'D and that other tosspot?
                                      I've seen this about a bit today. For what possible reason do you think that would have been a good idea?
                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The CMO said community transmission was suppressed. Hospital and ICU admissions are probably as low as they're getting and have been for a week, so why continue to sit on our hands? I don't see the sense in having 400 empty ICU beds while keeping society paralysed. I think 2-3 weeks of pre-March 28th measures should be next up (ie no school, no pubs, no gatherings over say 100 people, only businesses that can ensure distancing re-open).
                                        After that schools should re-open with reduced class sizes for 3 weeks, and then full classes for the last 2 weeks of the year to see what difference it makes. IMO it would be ludicrous not to use those weeks after which there is a natural break in school attendance to do some sort of experiment on how viable a return in September will be.
                                        All to be done while hammering people with the idea of staying 2m apart and wearing masks and sanitising their hands 20 times a day.
                                        There was 164 vacant critical care beds at 18.30 yesterday evening, not 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                          I've seen this about a bit today. For what possible reason do you think that would have been a good idea?
                                          well if they are not within 2km of there home, arent they breaking law?

Comment

I've to go as far as Kill later this afternoon to pick up scripts from the Doc, I could swing by you on my way home.

I've a brass 2.2mm and a 3mm should do the job.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Did they not bring in special powers for the Gardaí to arrest people who are flouting the COVID-19 restrictions? Do those rules only apply to people sitting on the grass in public parks or do they apply to cunts gathering in large numbers to be cunts too?

Comment

Because they are all cunts. And it would have been funny.

Comment

Did they not bring in special powers for the Gardaí to arrest people who are flouting the COVID-19 restrictions? Do those rules only apply to people sitting on the grass in public parks or do they apply to cunts gathering in large numbers to be cunts too?
                                                  They don't apply to people sitting in the parks near me anyway, free to have a picnic or a few cans or whatever it appears
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                    They don't apply to people sitting in the parks near me anyway, free to have a picnic or a few cans or whatever it appears
                                                    Flouting the rules, sure we'll have to extend the lockdown over them.

Comment

Possibly yes. Just can't see how the current government don't make a complete balls of it. Be interesting to see what UK numbers would be look like if they ramped up the testing. Am I right in saying they are still low on the table in comparison to the other big euro countries?
                                                      UK's daily numbers are double what they are reporting on a daily basis due to care home and at home deaths. The stats tracked by the ONS with a 2 week lag are seeing this more clearly now.

Comment

Flouting the rules, sure we'll have to extend the lockdown over them.
                                                        Had to have a cut off the brother yesterday cos he sent me a video of the mountain I like to climb at home. Reminded him of the 2km rule and he said he didnt see the harm. Several points and explaining fell on deaf ears so I gave up. Had a chat with a mate last night who I dont think has stuck to the guidelines any day since they came in, this is a direct quote I just copied from his message " I know I'm consciously breaking the guidelines. I meant I'm not doing it just to break them. I'm doing things because I want to do it, the guidelines don't come into it for me" when i tried to point out why we were doing it and what for he just said he wasnt arsed. There is no talking to people with this mentality and as usual the few ruin things for the many.

Comment

Ah, don't watch telly or anything during the day so didn't see it. Have been told unofficially to be expected back in work next week with construction sites looking likely to open, boss will confirm or not at the weekend. I don't expect the 2km or anything else to be lifted tbh.
                                                          I know a lot of the bigger Builders Providers have staff in already this week getting ready for a Tuesday opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            I know a lot of the bigger Builders Providers have staff in already this week getting ready for a Tuesday opening.
                                                            Yeah have heard the likes of woodies and stuff will be reopening

Our place never closed. 4 lads have been working away. 1 from sales, 1 warehouse, 1 driver and the manager. Just depends if all our customers go back to work or not. We dont do private home sales, it's all commercial to big building sites so pretty good chance of getting back to work if they open the sites up.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                              well if they are not within 2km of there home, arent they breaking law?
                                                              They are.

The powers allow for it but they have to be policed sensibly. What do you think happens if the Gardai arrest the 40 or so people there? How is that a sensible use of their resources? The Gardai were there today to limit the effect of the crowd on other court users, not to arrest idiots who want to congregate in clusters. Arresting them achieves nothing but possibly making them martyrs of a sort.

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                              Because they are all cunts. And it would have been funny.
                                                              This is the only reasonable justification I've heard.
                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Kayroo being selective about the Law. What next Ted.

Comment

They are.

The powers allow for it but they have to be policed sensibly. What do you think happens if the Gardai arrest the 40 or so people there? How is that a sensible use of their resources? The Gardai were there today to limit the effect of the crowd on other court users, not to arrest idiots who want to congregate in clusters. Arresting them achieves nothing but possibly making them martyrs of a sort.

Not a sensible use of resources to arrest 40 idiots. But perhaps a sensible use of resources to send a strong message with the media coverage that this isn't acceptable and prevent bigger crowds gathering next time.
                                                                  And prevent other crowds gathering for protests because if gemmas crew can do it why not us?
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Also the 2km was explicitly for excercise, so unless they are jogging by four courts doesn't matter where they live
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

They are.

You've jumped the shark baby

Comment

Yeah have heard the likes of woodies and stuff will be reopening
                                                                        Yeah, my understanding is that Woodies in particular have been lobbying to re-open and have staff in this week ensuring everything is ready to go in all stores.

Comment

Just checked and I've 2x 3mm wood bits. I can meet you with them.

Can link up with you down at butchers or something.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                            Yeah, my understanding is that Woodies in particular have been lobbying to re-open and have staff in this week ensuring everything is ready to go in all stores.
                                                                            Woodies never stopped working. Managers and senior staff were in their stores receiving deliveries and fitting out the new season stuff as normal. The problem being they've been told to not let the public know while being absolutely flogged into doing the work of multiple people. The majority of staff are at home and being paid.

Comment

So I have been busy in lockdown painting & decorating.
                                                                              I had a, painter booked in before all this to do ceiling, doors, walls etc. Not tiles.

So off I took dunno maybe 10 days ago, was tough going because I detest painting.

Apart from floor and tv. It's, all my own work and I'm delighted with results. Prob saved a nice bob too while doing so, apart from one tin of tile paint that was awful

https://youtu.be/jRh0MamQ0RM
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                Woodies never stopped working. Managers and senior staff were in their stores receiving deliveries and fitting out the new season stuff as normal. The problem being they've been told to not let the public know while being absolutely flogged into doing the work of multiple people. The majority of staff are at home and being paid.
                                                                                Oh I know they have had some staff in, but they were planning on ramping up the numbers of staff back in work at some point this week in advance of the 5th May, or at least that is what I was told.

They lobbying as I understood it was on the basis that Lidl and Aldi sell some similar products that they do so it was an unfair competitive advantage for them to be open and Woodies to be closed.

They had to stop online orders for delivery last week I think it was as they were completely overrun.

Comment

Given what's going on does anyone know are interest rates likely to stay low for the next couple of years or foreseeable future?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                    Given what's going on does anyone know are interest rates likely to stay low for the next couple of years or foreseeable future?
                                                                                    I'm just sitting here waiting for a cheap house to come out of this
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Surely the Premier League behind closed doors can be played in such a controlled environment that it's a tiny risk?

I assume the issue is more certain clubs/players/people dragging their heels because it suits their own agendas.
                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                        next couple of decades imo
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Some here if you want to pop over.

Comment

...

Comment

Forever surely. So much debt out there, corporate and sovereign, that it's completely impractical and affordable to ever increase rates again baring a global meltdown, wipe-out, years of Apocalypse scenarios and reset to new world order......

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                next couple of decades imo
                                                                                                Grand, as long as keep my job should be fine....

Comment

...

Comment

What's deemed a good variable rate nowadays and how long and at how low would people want to lock in to a fixed rate?

I've been meaning to look at my mortgage for ages but have never got around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                      I wonder will the image of "covid deaths now exceeding those who died in Vietnam" get much airplay when it happens (probably inside a week).

It's the kind of stat that might grab the popular imagination.
                                                                                                      Looks like they've passed the number of deaths from the American War today, even on the declared numbers. Suppose you could always argue that the US population was about .6 then of what it is now, so no biggie
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Level of surprise 0

Comment

Basically I had to confirm that the Woodwork was real, it is and is most impressive.

Next mission is around to CHD's place at dinner time to see him actually eating something like this

Comment

Wore a mask for the 1st time today shopping . Felt menacing . Reluctantly paid for my shopping but touch and go. Felt like emptying the register . Now what to do with this dark energy I have exposed myself to .

Earlier successfully escaped from duvet cover in record time . Felt less menacing .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              Basically I had to confirm that the Woodwork was real, it is and is most impressive.

Next mission is around to CHD's place at dinner time to see him actually eating something like this
                                                                                                              That's what I feed the baby strangely enough

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                                                That's what I feed the baby strangely enough
                                                                                                                How is the little chap getting on?

Comment

EDIT: just seen this https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ntil-september

Surely FIFA/UEFA just take this out of governements hands and say season cancelled, sorry. Agree deals with top leagues to defer some of the following seasons prize money to lower leagues etc. Hard to sort, sure, but it just seems even more difficult to start some leagues and not others without it badly affecting next season too.
                                                                                                                  I think a huge amount of conversation on this topic is massively biased, and most punters are hope casting based on what they want to happen much more than they are making a prediction what they think will happen.

If I was hope casting I would wonder why the fuck starting next season should be considered more important than finishing the remaining (and most important part) of this season? I'd also note the extraordinary practical difficulties of declaring European qualifications / promotions / relegations on the basis of the games played to date or not declaring those things at all. Finally, I'd suggest that not finishing this season will challenge the competitive integrity of these competitions which, after all, have generally not been voided or incomplete since the last world war.

Moving back to an objective prediction, I think the UK government desperately needs some positive morale boosting news and finding a way to complete the football with some private sector solutionising and ingenuity fits with their political objectives. It will demonstrate that they are in control and able to match the Germans yada yada, blah blah. I also think that selfish concerns from individual clubs or the players union or whatever would be dragged through the absolute mud by the conservative UK press, a public relations nightmare that those interests likely wish to avoid at all costs. And ultimately the real money behind football, the tv interests, paid handsomely for their monkeys and will find ways to not so subtly insist they dance.

I also think ultimately that this is achievable, particularly if personnel involved are reduced to bare minimums and games are played in controlled neutral locations. And if the Germans find a way, the EPL will be told to go and fucking figure it out.
                                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

FIFA chief medical officer said today he doesnt want any games played before September 1st. Didnt elaborate when pushed on it by Bryan Swanson.

Cant find the tweet now for some reason. But it was on his own Twitter account.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                      Oh I know they have had some staff in, but they were planning on ramping up the numbers of staff back in work at some point this week in advance of the 5th May, or at least that is what I was told.

They lobbying as I understood it was on the basis that Lidl and Aldi sell some similar products that they do so it was an unfair competitive advantage for them to be open and Woodies to be closed.

They had to stop online orders for delivery last week I think it was as they were completely overrun.
                                                                                                                      You heard the same interview i did on Newstalk ?
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

thanks all, Strewel was in the locale and arrived with an enviable box of drill bits from which I plundered one over a socially distant cup of tea. Then Lazare get's in touch with some and then BrianMc. Much appreciated. If any of you would ever like a losing horse tip I will be happy to supply it.
                                                                                                                        Ordered €1600 worth of supplies for my bbq hut today, a few planks of wood and a bit of perspex roof dont be long adding up ! Added a nice 18v driver to my arsenal last week,,,no stopping me now !
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

FIFA chief medical officer said today he doesnt want any games played before September 1st. Didnt elaborate when pushed on it by Bryan Swanson.

Cant find the tweet now for some reason. But it was on his own Twitter account.
                                                                                                                          He did emphasise it's his own personal opinion, not the FIFA position.

Though from a FIFA point of view, you could cynically argue that a few flesh wounds on the finances of UEFA, the major European leagues, and the G20 clubs would all be a welcome result.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X