This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    Managed to accidently catch another anti-immigration march on O'Connell Street today. Disappointed to see everyone just ignoring them instead of abusing them. I was the only one within earshot shouting racist scum. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of this, but I think they should have milkshakes and eggs raining down on them if they walk our main thoroughfare. Mind you, I was quite pleased when dissident republicans invaded the National Party's ardfheis.
    I hear ya. Where is Anti-Fascist Action (AFA) and the Anti-Nazi League (ANL) these days? Maybe they don't exist anymore? I dunno.

Back in my day (80s and early/mid 90s when cunts like these had this kind of oxygen) it was pure 'fisticuffs at dawn' with this mob.

Now, last time I saw 'em slabbering down O'Connell St, a couple of weeks ago, I was there with a 7-yo and my wife so that kinda response would have been inappropriate.

But boy was I ready to go.They hold no fear for me. And we will defeat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

One of them did something similar in Aldi a few years ago.

'DADA LOOK A PIRATE'

Oul fella with the eye patch wasn't impressed.
      Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Nope doesn’t tire me out at all- this is the place for it- Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - plenty of other places to be positive.
      Speaking of bad beats and embarrassing moments on public transport.

Was on a busy train the other day and some young lad sat up and offered me his seat... fucking prick
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Speaking of bad beats and embarrassing moments on public transport.

Was on a busy train the other day and some young lad sat up and offered me his seat... fucking prick
        Thankfully nobody has asked me when the baby is due recently. Wouldn't mind being offered a seat.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

SPOILER
          The Cookie Thief
          by Valerie Cox
          A woman was waiting at an airport one night, with several long hours before her flight. She hunted for a book in the airport shops, bought a bag of cookies and found a place to drop.

She was engrossed in her book but happened to see, that the man sitting beside her, as bold as could be. . .grabbed a cookie or two from the bag in between, which she tried to ignore to avoid a scene.

So she munched the cookies and watched the clock, as the gutsy cookie thief diminished her stock. She was getting more irritated as the minutes ticked by, thinking, “If I wasn’t so nice, I would blacken his eye.”

With each cookie she took, he took one too, when only one was left, she wondered what he would do. With a smile on his face, and a nervous laugh, he took the last cookie and broke it in half.

He offered her half, as he ate the other, she snatched it from him and thought… oooh, brother. This guy has some nerve and he’s also rude, why he didn’t even show any gratitude!

She had never known when she had been so galled, and sighed with relief when her flight was called. She gathered her belongings and headed to the gate, refusing to look back at the thieving ingrate.

She boarded the plane, and sank in her seat, then she sought her book, which was almost complete. As she reached in her baggage, she gasped with surprise, there was her bag of cookies, in front of her eyes.

If mine are here, she moaned in despair, the others were his, and he tried to share. Too late to apologize, she realized with grief, that she was the rude one, the ingrate, the thief.
          Talk about taking the biscuit

Comment

An Cailin Ciun is excellent
            will be a travesty if banshees of inesherin mops up and that gets nothing in awards season
            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
              Managed to accidently catch another anti-immigration march on O'Connell Street today. Disappointed to see everyone just ignoring them instead of abusing them. I was the only one within earshot shouting racist scum. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of this, but I think they should have milkshakes and eggs raining down on them if they walk our main thoroughfare. Mind you, I was quite pleased when dissident republicans invaded the National Party's ardfheis.
              What's their real grievance?

Comment

If anyone happens to be awake very late tomorrow night or early Tuesday morning, it’s worth tuning into the Lakers vs OKC.
                LeBron is 36 points away from passing Kareem for most points in NBA history.

He’s averaging a little over 30 points so the projection is technically the following game but I suspect he’ll pass him in this game.

Comment

How come every article about polyamory you see in the media is accompanied by a picture of 3 absolute beasts? Is it a conspiracy to stop people trying it?
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I see blue-collar billionaire Bruce Springsteen remains defiant over charging fans $4-5,000 for a ticket to see his band of arch-capitalists work for three hours a day.

Bruce Springsteen fanzine Backstreets to shut down over ticket prices -Publisher says staff is ‘dispirited’ and that readers and fans feel let down as ticket prices went as high as $4,000-$5,000 for shows

Sorry, went all MysteryGuest there but Brucie should really just retire to count his money and let someone else onto the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                      I see blue-collar billionaire Bruce Springsteen remains defiant over charging fans $4-5,000 for a ticket to see his band of arch-capitalists work for three hours a day.

Bruce Springsteen fanzine Backstreets to shut down over ticket prices -Publisher says staff is ‘dispirited’ and that readers and fans feel let down as ticket prices went as high as $4,000-$5,000 for shows

Sorry, went all MysteryGuest there but Brucie should really just retire to count his money and let someone else onto the stage.
                      Timeless

Heartless stuff Benny- let him enjoy him money yukking it up with Obama

Comment

Going to give this red lentil curry a go today. Very excited by all the different packs of spices. Have been thinking about lentil curry since a Gursha lunch with Sam. There's something very morish about lentils. How did we (presume its we) not know there was such a thing as lentils until our 20s.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                          haven't been to London for a few years, any recommendations for food over there? Evening dinner, quality fare pls.
                          Hard to have a bad meal in Barrafina (counter seating only and no reservations so maybe not what you’re after, but quality food)

St. JOHN is worth a look too - https://stjohnrestaurant.com/a/restaurants/smithfield

Comment

Site is fckd

Cert expired, had to fire up IE to post this

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              Going to give this red lentil curry a go today. Very excited by all the different packs of spices. Have been thinking about lentil curry since a Gursha lunch with Sam. There's something very morish about lentils. How did we (presume its we) not know there was such a thing as lentils until our 20s.
                              Daal is potentially a king of curries. Lets hope so anyway as I've about 20 litres of it made. But wow its amazing.

Comment

Sit is fckd

Cert expired, had to fire up IE to post this
                                Ya, soz. Fixed now.

Comment

This BH weekend has really thrown me off kilter more so than a normal one. About 10 times yesterday I thought it was Sunday, and already a couple of times today I thought it was Monday. It'll hopefully stand me in good stead later this week.

Speaking of later this week, I have an in office training day on Thursday. It'll be the first time I've been in an office since the end of Feb 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

What's their real grievance?
                                    It's portable: covid, immigrants, the 'woke agenda'...you name it, they're angry over it. Give them half a chance and they'd be wearing Z symbols and waving Russian flags.

They are the perma-angry, braindead army. Facebook and Twitter are their gods. Reason and logic their enemies.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Speaking of woke, I read about something the other day, that while this specific instance isn't likely to register with 'the mob' it's a great example of using something in totally the wrong way such as to annoy some who would generally be in favour of the whole area.

A production of Waiting for Godot (only features men, and Beckett apparently said it should only ever feature men) in the Netherlands was cancelled because only men were allowed to audition for the roles, despite it being in rehearsals for a few months, because it violated the diversity rules of the university where it was to be staged.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                        Speaking of woke, I read about something the other day, that while this specific instance isn't likely to register with 'the mob' it's a great example of using something in totally the wrong way such as to annoy some who would generally be in favour of the whole area.

A production of Waiting for Godot (only features men, and Beckett apparently said it should only ever feature men) in the Netherlands was cancelled because only men were allowed to audition for the roles, despite it being in rehearsals for a few months, because it violated the diversity rules of the university where it was to be staged.
                                        It is true that the Beckett Estate has, amongst its responsibilities, the requirement to make sure that productions of Godot follow the men-only rule. They can't stop it happening but they can (and do!) force the theatre to read out letters of protest before after the show.

Rather infamously, nobody knows if Beckett meant this as a joke or not. Which is pretty awesome in its own right.

Comment

Snag another package and put the 350 expenses in your arse pocket along with the 800 for a re entry if you need it.

Simple game IMO
                                          Indeed. Shipped a IO ticket last night, happy days.

Kind of debating with myself if it would be worth trying for a second ticket as would be nice to have a spare if needed.
                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The protests are interesting. It can no longer be dismissed as a few dozen of the usual suspects who march against everything imo. The ones over the weekend definitely numbered in the thousands, and there are some people with a proven propensity to violence involved (Scott Delaney convicted of murder later downgraded to accessory, and one of the Bradley brothers who is an armed robber).
                                            Intriguing to see quite a lot of anti Sinn Fein rhetoric though, as these people should be core SF target voters. But SF are currently regarded as being sellouts on the immigration issue.

Maybe it will fizzle out, or maybe we'll have our Capitol Hill/Munich Beer Putsch moment over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              The protests are interesting. It can no longer be dismissed as a few dozen of the usual suspects who march against everything imo. The ones over the weekend definitely numbered in the thousands, and there are some people with a proven propensity to violence involved (Scott Delaney convicted of murder later downgraded to accessory, and one of the Bradley brothers who is an armed robber).
                                              Intriguing to see quite a lot of anti Sinn Fein rhetoric though, as these people should be core SF target voters. But SF are currently regarded as being sellouts on the immigration issue.

Maybe it will fizzle out, or maybe we'll have our Capitol Hill/Munich Beer Putsch moment over the summer.
                                              If it does gain some traction, and obviously we hope it doesn't, it'll be a serious headache for SF alright.

It doesn't seem like something inherently 'Irish', it seems more like an extension of the far-right nuttiness across the pond. Be interesting to see what, if any, foreign actors are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                Lao Lao I have a potential new customer in Jordan, may have to ship delicate items up to 3m length (20cm diameter).

Have you some companies you'd recommend I get in touch with?

Sorry man, only seeing this now as I was travelling Friday and couldn't get onto the site at all over the weekend.

You still on mobile number ending 79 - I can try give you a buzz later today

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's portable: covid, immigrants, the 'woke agenda'...you name it, they're angry over it. Give them half a chance and they'd be wearing Z symbols and waving Russian flags.

They are the perma-angry, braindead army. Facebook and Twitter are their gods. Reason and logic their enemies.
                                                  The anti-covid stay-at-home for two years stuff just encouraged them all to let their inside voice out. Not much that can be done about it - just keep increasing living standards so kids in those families have a decent chance of escape.

Comment

In the gym earlier with the personal trainer (first time) and I feel the hot-pants-wearing trainer spent the whole time with her pussy literally in my face. Like that close. Extraordinarily hard (oo-er) to concentrate on lifting.

Comment

I mention this partially as she was clearly an immigrant of Eastern European descent, and quite obviously an asset to the country, unlike the Love/Hate characters populating the anti-immigrant side.

Comment

I was going to ask if this was the DCU gym but I forgot you don't ever come to work
                                                        Speaking of work, I just sent you an email.

Comment

And the last in this four-post extravaganza to celebrate IPBs new security certificate. Would anyone (laz, maybe?) mind commenting on this run data? Those heart rates are grand? I'm very slow - that was 6km over 45 mins as I run for 0.8km and then walk for 0.2km in order to manage the heart rate in these early exercise stages.

0b9h81yl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                            I was going to ask if this was the DCU gym but I forgot you don't ever come to work
                                                            Speaking of work, I just sent you an email.
                                                            just saw it there. nah there's a gym right opposite the house. really handy idea for a gym called 'anytime gym' as its open 24 hours. Maybe that's standard enough now, but you'd see taxi drivers pop in there at two in the morning for a quick run.

Comment

The anti-covid stay-at-home for two years stuff just encouraged them all to let their inside voice out. Not much that can be done about it - just keep increasing living standards so kids in those families have a decent chance of escape.
                                                              We've been doing that for decades. Has social mobility improved?

Serious question, no idea if anyone actually measures it though

Comment

We've been doing that for decades. Has social mobility improved?

Serious question, no idea if anyone actually measures it though
                                                                Massively improved. Its the great Irish success. 61% of 30-34 year olds have some form of third level education (which includes those high-paying trades, as they are all third-level now). Compare that to the cohort who are probably their parents - 60-64 year olds - just 29% of them have third level. So fundamentally we've gone from one-third of people having decent education to two-thirds. That's much more social mobility.

Now, a criticism of this is that maybe their parents were essentially middle class and their kids just now need a third level education to be similarly middle class. So that would indicate no real social mobility - the middle class parents are just educating their kids to be middle class using the new ways.

First, that argument is a bit of a stretch - that there would have been two thirds of the population as middle class in say the 1980s. So it doesn't really hold much weight.

Second, we can instead look directly at DEIS schools, which specifically focus on progression of kids from disadvantaged areas to decent life outcomes (I know you know this given your wifes work, just pointing it out for the sake of completeness!). Those are schools where it is reasonably unlikely that most of the parents have third level. In DEIS schools its now about 63% of students who progress to third level. Which is rather fucking impressive. Thats proper breaking of the cycle of lack-of-opportunity. There's an issue though that a fair percentage of those students don't actually successfully complete third level, which is a support problem, but we seem to be strongly going in the right direction.

Third level obv isn't an ideal measure of improving social mobility, but its the main thing that definitely works.

Comment

We don't really have any anti-fascist tradition Ireland either. Unions try but are have lost their militancy over the last 20 years. We need badly need an Irish Mick Walsh to put the shits up the establishment and hopefully redress the balance a little. Eat the super rich.
                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

We don't really have any anti-fascist tradition Ireland either. Unions try but are have lost their militancy over the last 20 years. We need badly need an Irish Mick Walsh to put the shits up the establishment and hopefully redress the balance a little. Eat the super rich.
                                                                    Maybe Mick Wallace will come back from cheerleading Putin and save us all.

Comment

What do you think 'isn't well balanced' given we have one of the highest rates of income redistribution through the tax system in the world?

Or maybe you swallowed the opium of the dodgy oxfam report claiming that the Irish super-rich are exploiting the little people? - they didn't, the Irish super-rich tend not to even be Irish, or living here. There's no grand pot of wealth at the top that will solve any problems. There is though massive use of corporate wealth, through corporate tax, to make sure that the majority of people in the country get far more from the state than they put it.

Thats a good thing obv. Weird though to observe that and think anyone is being hard done by society.

Comment

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Comment

What do you think 'isn't well balanced' given we have one of the highest rates of income redistribution through the tax system in the world?

Or maybe you swallowed the opium of the dodgy oxfam report claiming that the Irish super-rich are exploiting the little people? - they didn't, the Irish super-rich tend not to even be Irish, or living here. There's no grand pot of wealth at the top that will solve any problems. There is though massive use of corporate wealth, through corporate tax, to make sure that the majority of people in the country get far more from the state than they put it.

Thats a good thing obv. Weird though to observe that and think anyone is being hard done by society.
                                                                            What's dodgy about the Oxfam report? Would you be in favour of an agreed wealth tax like the 15% corporation tax? The fiscal advisory council are in favour of more accumulated wealth taxes right.

Comment

What's dodgy about the Oxfam report? Would you be in favour of an agreed wealth tax like the 15% corporation tax? The fiscal advisory council are in favour of more accumulated wealth taxes right.
                                                                              I'd be fine with a wealth tax. Let's start with property.

Comment

The Oxfam report is simply deceptive. The bottom 50% of people in most countries have no net assets, largely not because they are poor but because they are young. Their investment is in their future wealth not their current wealth. So you are not actually looking at destitute people, as Oxfam tries to portray, but just youth. Every single student in the country is counted as destitute by their measure as they largely have no wealth, or indeed probably everyone under the age of 30. But they aren't really destitute. So the report is a perversion of what it claims to be - a look at real poverty.

Comment

A better property tax is the way to go. Brilliant for local amenities also. Its why so much of Europe looks so nice. No other secret ingredient needed.

Comment

Would you be in favour of an agreed wealth tax like the 15% corporation tax? The fiscal advisory council are in favour of more accumulated wealth taxes right.
                                                                                    A uniform capital gains tax rate would be the most consistent way of doing this. And also similar in essence to the corporation tax move. At the moment if you get a big capital gains windfall you just move to Switzerland or Portugal and pay nothing. You are then taxing wealth at the source of its generation. An actual wealth tax - adding up people's wealth and taxing it would be nearly impossible to implement and for nearly everyone who can't escape it, would just be a property tax.

Comment

A better property tax is the way to go. Brilliant for local amenities also. Its why so much of Europe looks so nice. No other secret ingredient needed.
                                                                                      Is there a country we could use as a role model of 'how to implement a fair property tax that properly funds local services'?

Obviously we chickened out and failed massively, just like we did on water charges. But who does wealth tax well?

Comment

Is there a country we could use as a role model of 'how to implement a fair property tax that properly funds local services'?

Obviously we chickened out and failed massively, just like we did on water charges. But who does wealth tax well?
                                                                                        I'd say nearly all of Europe does property taxes well - key seems to be to keep the money raised local, so people see the benefits of their local taxation. Spain tries an actual wealth tax, but doesn't work well.

Comment

Islamic law, interestingly, does wealth taxes quite well due to moral pressure. You add up your 'spare wealth' - i.e. non property, non tied wealth, each year and give - I think - about 7% to worthy causes. Seems to be surprisingly well adhered to in the most devout countries.

Comment

Hugging face has a great free course about reinforcement learning, and there's a fun competition to see who can train the best 2*2 football team.

https://huggingface.co/deep-rl-cours...0/introduction

If anyone is interested in dipping their toes into this sort of thing, it could be a good introduction.

shrapnel I'd say it would be a fun thing to do with your kid,

Comment

I'd say nearly all of Europe does property taxes well - key seems to be to keep the money raised local, so people see the benefits of their local taxation. Spain tries an actual wealth tax, but doesn't work well.
                                                                                              Your old stomping ground, France, seems to do it quite well.

Obviously no-one will vote for it here.

Comment

We don't really have any anti-fascist tradition Ireland either. Unions try but are have lost their militancy over the last 20 years. We need badly need an Irish Mick Walsh to put the shits up the establishment and hopefully redress the balance a little. Eat the slightly richer than me.
                                                                                                Fyp

Comment

It's ludicrous that the Oxfam report gets airtime every year. year

Comment

A uniform capital gains tax rate would be the most consistent way of doing this. And also similar in essence to the corporation tax move. At the moment if you get a big capital gains windfall you just move to Switzerland or Portugal and pay nothing. You are then taxing wealth at the source of its generation. An actual wealth tax - adding up people's wealth and taxing it would be nearly impossible to implement and for nearly everyone who can't escape it, would just be a property tax.
                                                                                                    The real problem is that people think wealth and income are the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Indeed. Shipped a IO ticket last night, happy days.

Kind of debating with myself if it would be worth trying for a second ticket as would be nice to have a spare if needed.
                                                                                                      Won't you be able to sell it and re-enter with the cash?

I'm going to assume you were the %$^&* that rolled over my QQ with 9Jo

I have question about those 109 satts on stars, Is it possible to play a feeder to one without auto registering for the satt that is running on the same night?

I qualified from a feeder last week and was dropped straight into the 109 game with 2 minutes left in the late reg and just a few BB's GTFO.

Anyway will probably stop trying now as it looks like I won't be free over Easter.

Comment

If it does gain some traction, and obviously we hope it doesn't, it'll be a serious headache for SF alright.
                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                        On the one hand SF's holding the line on this in the face of such a visible and outspoken portion of their core vote is the most admirable thing they have done in their history, on the other hand their ineptitude at getting the message across to that section of their core vote is worrying.

What I'm hearing is that there is a lot of tension and discontent amongst party activists especially in Dublin but crucially for the authoritarian centre of the party just about every elected representative, Wheelie Bin and Councillors alike, are holding fast to the party line. Could be trouble ahead.

Comment

Islamic law, interestingly, does wealth taxes quite well due to moral pressure. You add up your 'spare wealth' - i.e. non property, non tied wealth, each year and give - I think - about 7% to worthy causes. Seems to be surprisingly well adhered to in the most devout countries.
                                                                                                          Sounds like the way to go. Glad me agree. Fcuk we could even have a €100m lower band. That should keep most of the horse head super rich wannabes well clear.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I have question about those 109 satts on stars, Is it possible to play a feeder to one without auto registering for the satt that is running on the same night?

I qualified from a feeder last week and was dropped straight into the 109 game with 2 minutes left in the late reg and just a few BB's GTFO.

Anyway will probably stop trying now as it looks like I won't be free over Easter.
                                                                                                              I don’t think that functionality exists. I’ve never seen/heard of it existing in what I assume would be the settings.

Auto-reg the soonest unless it’s a generic €109 sat and in the event that it’s a targeted sat like this, you have to actively unreg prior to the start.

I hope they run a few sats closer to the time for a couple of the side events as they should easily hit the guarantee for the main.

Comment

No, there was a bit of a hoohaa on Facebook about that. You're auto regd for the next step but there are ticket satts which allow you to choose apparently. I don't play on stars so can't say.

The iPoker satts seem to be best. If you win a small satt, you get a ticket to use at your convenience.

GGPoker are the worst for auto reg. No matter what day you play a feeder satt, you're regd for the main satt without the option to unreg. Would prefer a ticket so I can just jump in at the very end of late reg.

Comment

I didn't know this was a thing already til watching a recent podcast with Lex. These pictures of women are not real people and are 100% AI-generated. AI coming for OnlyFans jobs

NSFW

SPOILER

Comment

That's mad creepy

1 =2=3=4
                                                                                                                    1=2=3=4
                                                                                                                    1=2=3

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                      I didn't know this was a thing already til watching a recent podcast with Lex. These pictures of women are not real people and are 100% AI-generated. AI coming for OnlyFans jobs

NSFW

SPOILER

There is something vaguely inanimate about them. But it's close to indiscernable.

Comment

I know it’s not going to happen but even the fact that Man City are now engaged in a process whereby the could end up getting stripped of premier league titles makes me happy- hard to see them getting away without point deductions/large fines though - premier must have a strong enough case- how we’re they allowed debase the competitive integrity of the competition for so long.
                                                                                                                        hopefully the GAA get some inspiration and look into dubs (county and clubs)

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

NSFW

SPOILER

A bit disturbing that I noticed the 4th pics fingers were wonky, before I noticed her arse was facing the wrong way.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X