Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots not to agree with in this article on UnHerd but this bit is very quotable and hard to argue with.
    The forthcoming election, which pits two gerontocrats of dubious mental acuity against each other, resembles the late Soviet era, before the regime collapsed under its own absurdities. America indeed represents a strange inversion of the Soviet collapse: the economy dwarfs that of any other nation, save China; its empire is still intact, and its military spans the globe more powerfully than any single challenger.
    Yet at its centre the US echoes post-Soviet Russia in its epidemics of death by drug overdose, in its collapsing middle class, its worsening health outcomes and declining life expectancies, the capture of the state and economy by rapacious oligarchs, and in the occasional bouts of interethnic violence leading to demonstrations, riots and broader political dysfunction.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

No manslaughter in the states I don’t think.

1st degree : planned and premeditated intent to kill.
      2nd degree : instantaneous intent to kill
      3rd Degree : intent to hurt, not to kill, but killed in process.

My very basic understanding of it.
      The US has Manslaughter also. Vehicular manslaughter, Criminal negligent manslaughter, self defence killing , a crime of passion, etc
      Exact laws will vary by state, and some states have 1 or 2 degrees of manslaugter also.

Only a few states has 3rd degree murder now, I think it's pretty much superseded various manslaughter. The definition varies but usually there's some requirement for malice, felony, disregard for life to distinguish it from manslaughter. According to wiki, in this case it's;
      ...perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life
      Which is pretty clear cut for me. Obviously the lesser charge of manslaughter will be a huge part of the trial.
      I think this is a fairly good case study for the requirements of 1st, 2nd, 3rd degree murder.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Pretty sure I bought meat from the same supplier in a Brazilian shop in the past but the labels were different. Next time you're back there, pick up some of their sausage - linguica (sounds like "ling-gwee-sah"). Either linguica calabresa or linguica toscana. Calabresa is smokey and spicier iirc. They're both fantastic with a lovely chunky and fatty consistency. Every Brazilian bbq starts with linguica while the beef is cooking. The nearest shop is about 20km away so waiting for phase 2 restrictions to lift before I can drive there.

That's a beautiful piece of meat and a nice smoke ring too. Picanha is a fantastic cut and great value imo, just a pity its not widely available here. I had pork picanha on my last night in Brazil which was quite a treat.

Do you have an electric rotisserie for when you skewer the steaks?
        I saw those fat sausages, will defo give thema try next time.

I have a rotisserie for the weber, dont use it as often as i should.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
          I'm of the opinion that he didn't need to stay on his neck. He was doing damage when there was no threat.
          He absolutely didn't need to. But that's not an answer to the question of whether he intentionally tried to kill him or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
            They've already fired two of those officers, and put another two on desk duty pending investigation. I'd originally seen it from a camera on the drivers side and I thought it was going to be a lot worse. He refused to follow instruction several times. Really don't think there was anything excessive about the amount of force used.
            The Mayor of Atlanta is called Keisha Lance Bottoms. How can you take the administrative decisions of a city seriously when Lance Bottoms is in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              He absolutely didn't need to. But that's not an answer to the question of whether he intentionally tried to kill him or not.
              For sure he didn't intend to kill him but for sure he intended to kneel on his neck and for sure he ignored the dying pleading . . It was akin to waterboarding someone then going ooops he's gone quiet. One more time. ..ooops. get the ambulance.

Comment

Just seen there was a march/protest in Dublin over George Floyd. I'm still hoping this video is not real.

'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Just seen there was a march/protest in Dublin over George Floyd. I'm still hoping this video is not real.

https://twitter.com/chloehanan/statu...225272322?s=19
                  It is
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      Currently the top response on his twitter to the article. What a world!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

https://twitter.com/chloehanan/statu...225272322?s=19
                          A little ironic when corona caused the crackdown and zero tolerance which has contributed to his death and this event is likely to spread it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Lots not to agree with in this article on UnHerd but this bit is very quotable and hard to argue with.
                            Would be interesting to know how many good world leaders were appointed in their 70’s for the first time not just finishing out a term with a lot of the best achievements already behind them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Would be interesting to know how many good world leaders were appointed in their 70’s for the first time not just finishing out a term with a lot of the best achievements already behind them.
                                Mandela?
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Hey. We've got a problem with our oven. It keeps randomly turning itself on. And turning on random things too - like sometimes the oven, sometimes the grill. And then it will just stay on. If I turn on the oven part then the grill will sometimes start itself up even though its not turned on. Whats gone wrong there, most likely? Its grey btw. [I'm turning it off at the mains, so grand for safety purposes]
                                  Does it have any timer functions that might be set for various things? Better to be safe though and get a priest. Probably ghosts.

Comment

Comment

Hard to look at that thread of incident after incident without getting furious
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Not sure, its all in faded letters. Seems like there is sometimes a 'lock' icon showing up on the screen. Its the grill mainly. Just turning itself on randomly all the time.
                                        See if you can find a make/model. Look up the instruction manual online and see if you can reset all the timers on it? Should tell you what the lock thing means too. Not sure if restoring factory settings on an oven is a thing.

Comment

Hey. We've got a problem with our oven. It keeps randomly turning itself on. And turning on random things too - like sometimes the oven, sometimes the grill. And then it will just stay on. If I turn on the oven part then the grill will sometimes start itself up even though its not turned on. Whats gone wrong there, most likely? Its grey btw. [I'm turning it off at the mains, so grand for safety purposes]
                                          Just switch off the big red button which shouldn't be far away when not using it

Comment

Someone leaking Trump's voice calls with the Governers.

Comment

At the range today can’t wait to play next week.

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

1 hour audio of Trump - https://www.thedailybeast.com/listen...d-rant-to-guvs

Comment

God can only imagine the cringe being spouted by white middle class liberals at that march today.
                                                  americas problems aren’t our problems

Comment

Bet there was loads of neckerchiefs too

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                      americas problems aren’t our problems
                                                      Do you think Ireland doesn't have problems with racism? These marches are about far more than one man's death.

The people in Ireland Marching today are complete idiots but for other reasons than supporting the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Do you think Ireland doesn't have problems with racism? These marches are about far more than one man's death.

The people in Ireland Marching today are complete idiots but for other reasons than supporting the cause.
                                                        Every country in the world has problems with racism
                                                        the problems we have here are vastly different in scope to the US

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          stupid fucker thinks it's one of his deals.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

stupid fucker thinks it's one of his deals.
                                                            Gave up after 5 minutes. Guys' a fucking dirtbag and thick as shit.

Comment

Comment

The White House is looking more like El Presidente's house in some Central American country.
                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                  The White House is looking more like El Presidente's house in some Central American country.
                                                                  Apparently Trump is going live in 10 minutes to address the nation.

They usually stream them here,

Last edited by Opr; 01-06-20, 22:21.

Comment

Ice T and his merry men released this in February... its been coming!!!

Comment

Comment

This isn't aimed at you. I'm just using it as a stepping off point. It really fucking annoys me when people talk about the black people this and black people that in Ireland. Fck the fck off and stop reading only US politics. Ireland is a country where 10% of the country is Polish and almost no-one is black and not a word is ever brought up about Eastern Europeans rights. Eastern Europeans have zero political representation or presence in the media and here is people going around talking about people of colour. They are the people who aren't being represented in Ireland. They'll march for the people who live in Baltimore though. No problem - march as many times as you want, its good exercise anyway - but at least look in your own back yard and make sure you know your own problems.

To be clear - those poor fucking black folk in America. Sure march for them. I don't think they'll ever get a break until US demographics reduce the influence of white folk. But that is not what Irish people should be focusing on in the context of Irish problems.
                                                                        I know not directed at me as you say but my point of view comes from working in an incredibly diverse workplace within Dublin. The kind of racism experienced in Dublin by the people I work with is way beyond what I think most people would perceive of Dublin. I think it is a non issue in Ireland mainly because as you say the very low % making it seem like not a thing rather than it not being an issue.

I agree completely with the rest of your post.

Comment

Comment

Oh yeah absolutely. Most of those racist cops in America are probably Irish-American. We're probably a decent part of the brexit dudes over in the UK too. And I guess, back in the day, we were the main Aborigine beaters in Oz. It's maybe a good idea not too many black folk have arrived on the shores.
                                                                            just fecking WOW .

Comment

Oh yeah absolutely. Most of those racist cops in America are probably Irish-American. We're probably a decent part of the brexit dudes over in the UK too. And I guess, back in the day, we were the main Aborigine beaters in Oz. It's maybe a good idea not too many black folk have arrived on the shores.
                                                                              I'd be with Daniel O'Connell on this; their not Irish, they forfeited the right when they became cunts!

Comment

Cant arrest everyone, the start of that speech i got, agreed with...second half....it looks like its going to be a tough night over there, I can see cops refusing to come to work, military on the streets, possibly shooting US citizens on US soil ? ?
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

fuck me.
                                                                                  Very pointed mention of the 2nd amendment as well

Comment

...
                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

I can't say I get it. He had the chance to make an impassioned plea to come together and try to deescalate the situation. I know his ego and lack of empathy are a problem in that regard but I thought people around him would urge him enough to try that direction. Instead, it is a complete doubling down by in his words, a mobilization of heavily, armed military on his own people.

Comment

Comment

Ireland is a country where 10% of the country is Polish
                                                                                          Divide that number by four.

Comment

white supremacists out in philly...thread above

Comment

...

Comment

Are you testing my division skills?!

its about 12% Eastern European afair (EU15-28 states). None of whom have any representation in politics or media.
                                                                                                Polish are around 2.5% of the population, all Eastern Europeans maybe double that at most.

Comment

Click link!!!
                                                                                                  Despite the violence and looting that marred weekend protests over the death of George Floyd, there were moments of solidarity as well, when police joined demonstrators in peace. NBC’s Morgan Radford reports for TODAY from Philadelphia.

Comment

I have an issue in this holiday home caused by over-eager kids. They pulled the fecking curtain holder out of the wall. According to the father-in-law it must have been fairly woefully installed in the first place, but thats besides the point really. He wasn't sure how to fix it though. Pics below.

So, how would I go about semi-fixing this based on stuff available in the usual hardware section of the supermarket? Something like Polyfilla, or whatever the French equivalent is? I just want it to look kinda okay, and ideally not harm the next people who stay here if they tug on it.

ZymVR2Tl.jpg

7Bi0u7cl.jpg

SzmztnBl.jpg
                                                                                                    You considered calling the landlord and complaing that one of your kids could have been hurt!?

Also, the father in law bit is now some relative/friend in building trade you send pics to!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

It's an AirBnB. The kids have also broken a few other bits and pieces. We might even get the blame for the oven. There's a deckchair in bits. Not even counting the regular broken glasses and plates. I'm just trying to lessen the impression that we were awful guests.
                                                                                                          Stop blaming the kids, and admit you have a poltergeist
                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

I want to remind everyone that the Constitution guarantees our right to peacefully assemble and protest.

Peaceful protesters in Washington D.C. were just doing that and yet the police, at the orders of President Trump, attacked them. Just look at this footage:

As an American, I am disgusted and frankly you should be too.

Edit - Sorry DP. Only reading back and see you already posted. It is shocking footage.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 02-06-20, 00:40.

Comment

Are you testing my division skills?!

its about 12% Eastern European afair (EU15-28 states). None of whom have any representation in politics or media.
                                                                                                                I think going forward #HitchFactCheck needs to be a thing. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub.../introduction/
                                                                                                                Also, there's a msasive irony in the fact that you are referring to proper representation, but also refereed to Eastern Europeans from 10+ countries as "Polish".

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                  You considered calling the landlord and complaing that one of your kids could have been hurt!?
                                                                                                                  Probably a bad angle, as fundamentally, they've damaged his property.
                                                                                                                  Fix and say nothing imo.

I have an issue in this holiday home caused by over-eager kids. They pulled the fecking curtain holder out of the wall. According to the father-in-law it must have been fairly woefully installed in the first place, but thats besides the point really. He wasn't sure how to fix it though. Pics below.

So, how would I go about semi-fixing this based on stuff available in the usual hardware section of the supermarket? Something like Polyfilla, or whatever the French equivalent is? I just want it to look kinda okay, and ideally not harm the next people who stay here if they tug on it.

SzmztnBl.jpg
                                                                                                                  Doesn't look to be install incorrectly or badly per se. But it's supported off plasterboard, so it's never going to be particularly strong.
                                                                                                                  Should able to get a kit for patching plasterboard. Then would need to be sanded and painted. And the curtain rod to be refixed, maybe in a slightly different spot for strength.

Comment

I wake up many mornings at this time and it's not like I'm going to bed early, think it was 2.40am this morning. I'll get some more z's after half an hour.

Anyways, the racist thing. We are not long enough as a semi multi-cultural country to see a real race problem.
                                                                                                                    I think the biggest problem we have now that could bring us there is the 'don't you dare say you are anti black, eastern European, traveller, gay, gender neutral etc.'
                                                                                                                    This leads to people moaning privately at home or on the phone about these things and kids hearing it and then going to school saying it. It's them that end up as racists.. We need to be open to discussion about everything all the time and welcome people with differing and controversial views instead of lining up people to berate them. Friendly, welcoming conversation is the best way to enlighten.
                                                                                                                    An example that comes to mind is Peter Casey on the LLS a couple of years ago during the Presidential election campaign with travellers lined up to have a go and basically a full scale effort to undermine him because he said a few controversial things.
                                                                                                                    I don't like the man at all and I honestly think he didn't believe or know anything about travellers and was just using it as an angle to get votes and he succeeded and might have won an election if there was no Michael D. The reason I bring him up is because there were not many people going around saying they were voting for him but he got a lot of votes. This means that people are keeping their views on controversial issues private and I don't think that's a good thing.

While I'm off in this lala land, I was just thinking about the doomsday clock which was put at 100 seconds to midnight in January, I've a feeling if it was done now it'd be a lot closer.

Irish-Amercans, Irish as they call themselves, basically third or fourth generation Irish-Americans are the most racist I have come across. I mentioned my handy security evening job a week or so ago. I used to go for a couple of beers after work in a place called Dick's last resort at the bottom.of the Prudential centre. I loved the name of the bar and it was perfect as it was right beside where I worked and I'd get 50 minutes to gorge as much alcohol as I could before they kicked you out on the stroke of 1am. I met a guy called Sean there a couple of times who was very proud of his Irishness. He seemed ok and we got on fine anytime we had a chat, that's iuntil l came in with a black friend from work one night. I went to the bar to buy a round and he came over telling me in an advisory way that we don't hang out with blacks, but he used the N word not black. I decided there and then to let him know just how Irish he was and to fuck right off. I had other situations, many, from similar types with similar thoughts.
                                                                                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

All those people protesting in Dublin yesterday with their 'I cant breathe signs' during the corona virus . Do they see the irony in what they are chanting?

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I think the biggest problem we have now that could bring us there is the 'don't you dare say you are anti black, eastern European, traveller, gay, gender neutral etc.'
                                                                                                                          This leads to people moaning privately at home or on the phone about these things and kids hearing it and then going to school saying it. It's them that end up as racists.. We need to be open to discussion about everything all the time and welcome people with differing and controversial views instead of lining up people to berate them. Friendly, welcoming conversation is the best way to enlighten.
                                                                                                                          An example that comes to mind is Peter Casey on the LLS a couple of years ago during the Presidential election campaign with travellers lined up to have a go and basically a full scale effort to undermine him because he said a few controversial things..
                                                                                                                          OK so let me get this straight; the problem isn't that people are rascist, the problem that they are not allowed say that they are ... Hmmmm maybe more sleep would help.

I think the point you are trying to make is that if people don't have an outlet to express their prejudice and innate racism they will be more racist
                                                                                                                          That's not how it works. Racism is a category error that many people are prone to making, it is their hatred and fear that is the problem, and them being encouraged to vent an spread their idiocy is the problem not a solution.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X