This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Does kind of look to me like the Russians have managed to halt Ukrainian advances by just throwing waves of bodies in the way.

They are fine with 100’s of thousands of their untrained troops dying to kill 10’s of thousands of Ukrainian veterans.

Not sure things are going quite as well as they had been and with the weather coming in it’s pretty much becoming First World War trenches but with much better artillery. Suits the side with more guys and less of a problem with getting them killed.
    Actually, it suits the side with better artillery systems (Ukraine), better manoeuvrabilty (Ukraine) and better leadership (Ukraine). Russia will continue losing all through the winter. And through the spring.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I think I need at least a little context.
      No idea who that is. But it’s instantly obvious he is on the juice. No sure this is a shocking admission that social media will let on.
      It’s not shocking to anyone with half a brain.
      what got me was the sheer Gall of the “I took steroids to inspire the suicidal young men of the USA” excuse.
      also 4000 people a day who kill themselves /80 thousand who try every day- pulled out of his arse.
      makes out he didn’t go looking for the attention- has been posting non stop on social media because he’s a complete grifter to the extent that even I was aware of him.
      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Anyone with youngish kids who doesn't have The Sock Game in their lives is not really living. Such a class game.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

It’s not shocking to anyone with half a brain.
          what got me was the sheer Gall of the “I took steroids to inspire the suicidal young men of the USA” excuse.
          also 4000 people a day who kill themselves /80 thousand who try every day- pulled out of his arse.
          makes out he didn’t go looking for the attention- has been posting non stop on social media because he’s a complete grifter to the extent that even I was aware of him.
          Pretty sure Mellor was looking for context, in the sense of who the fuck is the 'Liver King'. I'd only seen him in the last three months. We're all on our own personalised algorithms.
          Last edited by ComradeCollie; 05-12-22, 22:36.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Anyone with youngish kids who doesn't have The Sock Game in their lives is not really living. Such a class game.
            That looks fun, cheers, just bought it.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That looks fun, cheers, just bought it.
              Guaranteed good times. Such a simple idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Actually, it suits the side with better artillery systems (Ukraine), better manoeuvrabilty (Ukraine) and better leadership (Ukraine). Russia will continue losing all through the winter. And through the spring.
                Hopefully your right and I am not using any real data to back my thoughts up.

To me it comes down to can Russia can replace untrained meat shields 5 times quicker than Ukraine can replace well trained troops.

In terms of the artillery as you said mobility of Ukrainian artillery is a big factor not just the range. If the lines become static than the chances of Russia finding it increases.

Again Ukraine have much better stuff but each loss costs a lot more.

Currently both sides are in frozen trenches, tanks buried in mud and with artillery firing near constantly fighting over a pile of rubble. It’s the war Russia wants not Ukraine till spring as far as I can see.

Again hope your right tho.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                  Patiently waiting to see how 5Star would punish the Brazilian players for these dance celebrations
                  I'd make them watch footage of Ireland playing football over the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Hopefully your right and I am not using any real data to back my thoughts up.

To me it comes down to can Russia can replace untrained meat shields 5 times quicker than Ukraine can replace well trained troops.

In terms of the artillery as you said mobility of Ukrainian artillery is a big factor not just the range. If the lines become static than the chances of Russia finding it increases.

Again Ukraine have much better stuff but each loss costs a lot more.

Currently both sides are in frozen trenches, tanks buried in mud and with artillery firing near constantly fighting over a pile of rubble. It’s the war Russia wants not Ukraine till spring as far as I can see.

Again hope your right tho.
                    One thing is sure - it's Ukraine that has all the momentum, and, based on past form, whatever they do next will likely surprise everyone (Russians especially). Before yesterday, I don't think anyone expected them to be striking targets hundreds of km inside RuSSia. Some areas of the front are indeed static, especially those that were frontlines before Feb but others are not.

The ground will be frozen solid soon too which should increase the scope for mobile attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I'd make them watch footage of Ireland playing football over the last 20 years.
                      "I'll take the beheading option please"

Comment

Ireland's secret weapon, Eddie Jones, finally sacked by England.

Comment

Ireland's secret weapon, Eddie Jones, finally sacked by England.
                          Farrell will hardly be tempted to make the jump now I presume?

Comment

Whatever about culture and tradition, the Brazilians are very cringe when they score a goal these days. It’s like the anti-Haka. If I were playing against a team doing that I’d slide tackle the lot of them hoping for a domino effect samba collapse. Why are players booked for taking off their shirt? Excessive celebration? This is way worse. What’s worse is it takes the camera man away from the crowd celebrating and THIS is where we wanna see some big hipped samba moves. (females of course- cough cough)

Comment

Ah yes, that moment when you realise someone is actually insane but just very adept at hiding it. I remember Denny writing a really good depiction of being in the same scenario a few years back and can empathise now.
                              Not sharing details but imagine me going .

Comment

Ah yes, that moment when you realise someone is actually insane but just very adept at hiding it. I remember Denny writing a really good depiction of being in the same scenario a few years back and can empathise now.
                                Not sharing details but imagine me going .
                                In sickness and in health dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Sure, all women are crazy, that's a given.

Not the villain in this case however.

Comment

Extreme tippy tappy. Big Sam would be horrified.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Great cover

Comment

Nearly died yesterday. Think it was a sign. Not a believer in any god, but something is telling me to slow down.

Driving home from Phoenix, its a good 23 hours drive and I got a tad aggressive breaking it into two stops but I’ve been working my ass off in Phoenix and wanted to get back home into a routine and get settled before I head back to Ireland for Christmas.The plan was Phoenix to small town Idaho, sleep in a motel, then on to Calg. Did 12 hours on Sunday and got to Idaho around 7 and fell asleep in Idaho around 9.

Woke up at 3am so decided to bounce and get an early start, weather looked fine on Google. (google let down number 1). Google sent me a "shorter route has been found" message, sick says I - big fan of shorter (google let down number 2)

Sent into the Caribou Targhee National Forest - could not have been more snow, nor less ploughing, nor more incline. It was so incredibly remote. It was also 4am by now. I honestly thought about turning back but had 10 hours of driving ahead of me and couldn't stomach it.

Anyway tipping along legitimately going well under the speed limit (which was illogically high) prob going 90km. No lights, big trees either side of me, dark dark dark.

I was listening to Jimmy Carr on the Diary of a CEO podcast, good listen for anyone who hasn't heard, and I caught a small bit of the snowbank on the passenger side. If you haven't driven in places where the snow is piled to the side of the road well when you nip it, it drags you in. So you need to slowly correct to get out or risk a spin.

It's dragging me in more and more and I'm losing control. Doggo in the back in her crate not enjoying the bumpiness. I am easing on breaks to not lock up, but no dice, I've definitely lost it.

I'm in a 4runner, beast of a yoke, but no match for this. I lost it, an am spinning out, and then BANG I hit something I think it was a bollard or a rock but it was so hard that I nearly flipped, the car was at a 45 degree angle, I can remember it vividly, the side airbags deploy with a massive bang, probably louder than the collision, which seems a design flaw, and I stop. Check to see if dog is ok, she's grand. Panicking a bit, but pack passport and dogs rabies cert into my travel pack.

That all happened in the space of 5 seconds I’d say. Probably took you longer to read it.

Try to open door, no dice, almost waist deep in snow.

I climb out the window, am now waist deep in snow and wade back to road. Nothing. The darkness and silence is hard to describe. No moonlight or starlight because of trees, no noise because of the snow dampening it. I am royally fucked. I can hear my muffled engine noise though. I wade back to car.

Still running and the heat is still working so I wonder if I can move it. Wheels are spinning, no audible issues so far with engine, or axle or whatnot. Just stuck. Dog whining.

Call 911, tell them where I am, they know the exact mile marker (go on Google ya good thing). Ambulance is on the way. Sit tight she says. No bother. Thoughts turn to wtf am I gonna do with no car in rural Idaho on my own with a 2 year old German Shepherd. I am going to spend money, that’s what. Lots of it.

I see some lights in my rearview, that person just drives on. Sound.

About 10 mins later more lights, I hope out and back to road, it’s two dudes in a big pickup truck, “Need help?” “Fuck boys, do I ever”. “What part of Nova Scotia are ya from?” I am not in Kansas now Toto.

The bucks are deadly, they pull it out no bother and I thank them and they are on there way.

Beast of a yoke isn’t in bad shape, front right panelling is fooked, the strut or axle is definitely bent but its very very drivable. Just no faster than 80kmph or I get the major speed wobbles. Air bags moonlight as curtains so I need to take care of that. I drive it for a bit and pull into a fishing tackle shop (where the fuck am I) that has a light outside. I’ve got some gorilla tape in the boot so I use that to tape up the airbags til I can get somewhere more convenient and stuff them back into roof.

I legitimately limp back from Idaho to Calg at 80km. Took me about 10 hours. Once daylight broke though… the vistas and scenery were unreal. And I got more time to enjoy them on account of the snail pace. Idaho and Montana off the highways… incredible.

I am unbelievably lucky the crash was where it was because the rest of that road was ravines and bridges and rock walls and other things not nearly as forgiving as meters deep snow. It’s unreal how I didn’t roll, the violence of the collision has me still rattled.

Am home in Calgary now, -23celsius, working on couch on an app I love, with a dog I love and am alive.

Perspective is a funny thing. Slow down Stevie.

TLDR: NovaScotian nearly dies, writes bs reflective story, back to cosy white person life now.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Guess I should note I did call 911 back to tell em to cancel ambulance.
                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Reason 13,963 of why banks are my absolute pet peeve.

Decided to lock in my mortgage at a fixed rate of 2.75% for 3 years. My mortgage is over three loans, the main loan and two smaller loans where I topped up the mortgage to do work on the house on two separate occasions. As such, I had to complete 3 different forms which I duly did and sent them off to the bank head office as instructed to do by my local branch.

Waiting quite a while to get any response and was about to contact them when I got two letters in the post to confirm that the two smaller loans had been switched to the fixed rate. Nothing on the main loan though. Now, when they send out my end of year balance, there is often a gap between when each of the statements arrive (don't ask me why) so I said I'd wait a few days in case this was something weirdly similar.

Fast forward a few days and nothing else has arrived so I contact my local branch only to get a very firm, "nothing to us mate, you need to talk to head office - It was you who sent them there" response. When I politely explained to them that I was told by the branch to do so and who exactly would I contact in the head office, their tone softened to 'Well, maybe we could check on that for you'

Several days later, I get a call from the local branch. There had been a full investigation no less and only two forms were sent in not three. I could resend the third form again but the fixed rates had now gone up so the previous rate was no longer available.

It pains me to say this but I had to explain to them that it makes no sense for somebody to send in forms and to not lock in the largest loan on a fixed rate when interest rates are only going one way and that I had definitely sent all three forms.

Again, the response was 'Nothing to do with us, we can't do anything about those Head Office lads'

So I channelled my inner Karen and told them that under no circumstances would I be paying a higher interest rate and I would like to know the process for making a complaint. I was told they'd check it for me.

TEN minutes later, I got another call. They had checked with head office again and the third form was there. They had found it. It had been mislaid, not scanned in with the other two forms. The initial investigation didn't find it. All three loans would be at the same fixed rate and a letter would be out to me shortly to confirm.

Comment

penalties about to start in the morocco spain game. come on morocco

Comment

Moar pelanties
                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

AWESOME!!! well done morocco!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    AWESOME!!! well done morocco!!!
                                                    Sexy peno taking versus meek soft ones
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

everything we were hoping for from Japan yesterday delivered by north africa

Comment

yeah! if in doubt smash the fucker as hard as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

It appears I forgot to turn up to my son's parent-teacher meetings this afternoon. Definitely some sickness incoming for me.

Comment

Ronaldo on the bench tonight. even his country manager can stand him. what a joke!

Comment

That's a crazy story dude.
                                                              Glad you came out it ok. It's very hard to vizualise the weather you are talking about unless you've seen it yourself.
                                                              Blessed about the two lads in the pickup
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                Guess I should note I did call 911 back to tell em to cancel ambulance.
                                                                Easier to quote the smaller post, but one of the lessons learned there I'd imagine is to stick to the main roads in cold and snowy weather (even if not currently snowing). Glad to hear that there was no lasting damage other than to your wits (which got scared out of you). Great to be able to tell the nice tale and that be the end of it.

Comment

yeah! if in doubt smash the fucker as hard as you can.
                                                                  Naw with Adrenaline you'll blast it uncontrollably. Best to pick the spot beforr the run up and hit it firmly in that spot. All other variations with added pressure are P-EV neg

Had the 0-0

Comment

as regards scumbag institutions....

Had a former customer, Chinese lad who has a take away, rang me today about a recent bill.
                                                                    He was in a contract up to the end of Sept 22 for gas @ a reasonable rate of 2.8C per unit He was then unbeknownst to him put into a new contract by the energy company on 1st Oct @ 19.78C (7 times higher @ 30,000 units so goes from circa 800 bill and change to 6,000 bill)
                                                                    He rang them and was told "we sent you a letter' sorry you're in a contract.
                                                                    One of those opt out letters these fuckers send. You know the type I mean where they give you a certain amount of time to opt out. I also know that they back date these latters so that if you are lucky enough to actually receive it you have fuck all time to do anything. And they don't register them either.

Absolute fucking scumbags done with full knowledge and aforethought without a scree of care for the consequences.
                                                                    And the CRU are fuck all use. Had a complaint in with them before about these letters and they sided with the energy company.

The out of contract rate AKA the standard variable rate at that point in time was 7.25C or so which then went to 11.6C in mid October so massive difference.

I would love to see him create a stink a with radio show and bring the whole disgusting business to light. Embarrass the fuckers.
                                                                    Other than that it's set up a new company and tell them to FO
                                                                    if further diplomacy fails.

Poor bastard was genuinely worried about his business.

I texted him a link there to the Govt scheme to claim 40% back on the difference so he was happy with that.

Comment

Was leaving work as Extra time was starting and my Moroccan colleague was hanging around outside the office because he didn't want to watch the match, he had come into the office to avoid it but everyone who was in was watching it. He tells me he's sick of watching them lose so he's recorded it and will watch it 'when' they win. It's not like its not important to him, he follows football and his eldest plays with Bohs.
                                                                      I told him it was a sick way to live and should go on in and embrace the misery, I heard later he was screaming the place down during the penalties... great stuff.
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

How is your sideline bizniz these days Dinkies?
                                                                        Has the price speculation died down by now you reckon?
                                                                        I can only really tell at the pumps and it's dropping weekly by the looks.
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Energy prices decreased a bit in Oct and Nov as gas prices dropped during those 2 months. Think gas reserves in storage facilities are good so that probably will calm things for a few months but contracts involve hedging so they will be pricing in future volatility. Don't know enough about how all that forward pricing works Vis a Vis your day to day spot trading.

And Gazprom could further restrict supply. There's still a pipeline running through Ukraine

​​​​​Sep was all time bonkers high.

Trying to reclaim the customers I lost when Panda left the market now About 70% reverted to Electric Ireland as provider of last resort at the end of Sep.
                                                                          I have better value for them now so hopeful I can get some back.
                                                                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Hey MN had typed out a longer reply and it disappeared on me!

Sep was all time high. Calmed a bit last 2 months as gas prices dropped. Good storage of gas now so prob ok for a few months. Still a very uncertain business.

Putin can still cause more mischief by turning off the taps on the pipeline running through Ukraine. It will be interesting to see what happens after Xmas.

Edit
                                                                            Ah there it is...

Comment

Who would thought that dropping a past it, unfit, narcissist man-baby who creates a corrosive atmosphere around a squad would result in a huge improvement in performance?

Comment

Who would thought that dropping a past it, unfit, narcissist man-baby who creates a corrosive atmosphere around a squad would result in a huge improvement in performance?
                                                                                I'd say Bruno Fernandes thinks all his Christmas's have come together with Ronnie off here and at Manu.
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The Party of Law and Order. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Edit
                                                                                    Ah there it is...
                                                                                    Ah, the 'reload this page' button brings back posts lost in the ether more often than not.

Comment

That was a cracking read Theresa.

Portugal looked every bit the champions there in that game, albeit versus a more tired Switzerland.

Comment

Some story Steve, glad you're not browners bro.
                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Think my World |Cup boycott lasted about 24 hours, though I'm mostly watching it with a really loud Taylor Swift soundtrack

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                            Think my World |Cup boycott lasted about 24 hours, though I'm mostly watching it with a really loud Taylor Swift soundtrack
                                                                                            I rarely get past the first two tracks on 'Folklore'

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                              Our Friends in the North - Wikipedia is being shown by BBC4 over the next few Wednesdays, first 3 episodes tonight.
                                                                                              That was fantastic to watch again, quality acting and the writing is just excellent, it's hard to imagine anyone giving such even handed treatment to all sides these days.

One fantastic little scene after Nicky loses the election in 79 and the Tory candidate (a cipher for Thatcher herself I guess) who benefited from the dirty tricks calls out the 'scruffy little man' from the party central office who as Flannery draws him would fit right in to what the Tories have become today, very prescient considering he's writing it c.1990

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That was fantastic to watch again, quality acting and the writing is just excellent, it's hard to imagine anyone giving such even handed treatment to all sides these days.

One fantastic little scene after Nicky loses the election in 79 and the Tory candidate (a cipher for Thatcher herself I guess) who benefited from the dirty tricks calls out the 'scruffy little man' from the party central office who as Flannery draws him would fit right in to what the Tories have become today, very prescient considering he's writing it c.1990
                                                                                                Possibly even written a decade earlier, going by the production notes about the stage play. (Though that character may not have been it in).
                                                                                                Our Friends in the North - Wikipedia
                                                                                                Interesting aside to see that the title originally referred to Rhodesia, not Newcastle.

Agree it's fantastic, I'm not sure how much of it I saw or understood at the time so it was truly like seeing it for the first time.

Comment

Fundalk 4.45

cylcamen. ran a very good race last week, sat in behind the favourite who got 1st run on him
                                                                                                  each way bet of the day at 11/1
                                                                                                  might do us a good turn

Comment

Gulp

Comment

Another bad night for the greatest President evah.

The hits just keep on coming.

Comment

Gulp
                                                                                                        They are so fucked. And they did it to themseves.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                                          Fundalk 4.45

cylcamen. ran a very good race last week, sat in behind the favourite who got 1st run on him
                                                                                                          each way bet of the day at 11/1
                                                                                                          might do us a good turn
                                                                                                          Good luck, that is some race to pick the bones out of.

Comment

On a whole other note - the school has set this week as 'electronics-free week'. Kids and parents to be electronics-free when they are together.

Woke up this morning to see the youngest scrolling over a print-out of some instructions on how to solve rubik cubes and the elder one catching a few pages of her book before school. Evenings spent playing games together. Not a word of complaint from anyone. Except maybe the wife who kept leaving the room, presumably to surreptitiously check her phone, until we confiscated it in the interest of good fun.

Its almost like - they don't actually want to be spending all that time on the electronics, but do so as its the easiest option that requires least effort.

A wee bit of an eye-opener.

Comment

They are so fucked. And they did it to themseves.
                                                                                                              The ones who will suffer were sold a lie. . Some odious people ruining the show . ( not a freudian slip)

Comment

Finally a genuinely clever business exploiting NFTs
                                                                                                                They aren't buying to speculate, their interest is in buying targetted leads to sell their software to people who need help.

Comment

Is there anywhere to have a late breakfast in Terenure?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Is there anywhere to have a late breakfast in Terenure?
                                                                                                                    Orchard in Rathfarnam is best around till 11am id say if you're mobile.

Comment

Another bad night for the greatest President evah.

The hits just keep on coming.
                                                                                                                      Has to be seen by most in the GOP now as toxic. Do you think he will run as an independent when he doesn't get the nomination? Knowing him he would do it out of spite just to sabotage them.

Comment

On a whole other note - the school has set this week as 'electronics-free week'. Kids and parents to be electronics-free when they are together.

Woke up this morning to see the youngest scrolling over a print-out of some instructions on how to solve rubik cubes and the elder one catching a few pages of her book before school. Evenings spent playing games together. Not a word of complaint from anyone. Except maybe the wife who kept leaving the room, presumably to surreptitiously check her phone, until we confiscated it in the interest of good fun.

Its almost like - they don't actually want to be spending all that time on the electronics, but do so as its the easiest option that requires least effort.

A wee bit of an eye-opener.
                                                                                                                        Of all your outlandish posts this is the one I'd most likely call bullshit on!

Comment

White Lotus Season 2 is impeccable television. The casting is unreal good. Great to see Michael Imperioli back in the game. Let's hope it doesn't fall on it's face at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X