This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    RuSSia retreating from Kherson, 'the eternally RuSSian city'. Not a good look for Mad Vlad.
    They murdered their own regional head too. Fuck knows why.

This is an even bigger defeat than Kharkiv in September. Probably take the media a couple of days to pick up on it. Imagine being the mother or wife of one of the thousands of Russian soldiers killed there. All for nothing except the whims of a mad dictator.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Is he wrong about the transparency though?

Its more that the assets were always worthless just people didn't want to believe it?

Houses have value.
      It's more that he did exactly what he described (opaque loans between institutions, used for leverage)

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

First paragraph is spot on. No desire to ever write a line of code.

Second paragraph, my interest is less about my current role (Enterprise sales at Salesforce, I get by just fine without this) and more thinking ahead to a possible future move to a much smaller company where, as you phrased it, I’d like to have a seat at the table or be able to row in on Product conversations etc.

I started the Harvard CS50 course yesterday and finding it super interesting so far. Thanks for the steer on that Emmett and others. Seems like an ideal foundation for what I’m after.
        I've been a 'business person working in Tech' for years. Couldn't write a line of code to save my life, apart from some SQL.

Comment

I've been a 'business person working in Tech' for years. Couldn't write a line of code to save my life, apart from some SQL.
          My job title is under discussion to be changed to 'EMEA Lead, Risk Analytics", never done anything more than a basic introduction to SQL. Constantly having to tell people i'm not a 'data guy' (after I present a load of data)

Comment

Looking like 50-49 GOP in the Senate with Georgia (again!) going to a runoff
            No, Nevada is going to go Blue. 50-49 DEM plus the runoff.
            Time for Solks to break out the Trump is Toast meme. He's now lost the GOP three national elections in a row.

Also: Old Man Biden says he's likely gonna go again....

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

My job title is under discussion to be changed to 'EMEA Lead, Risk Analytics", never done anything more than a basic introduction to SQL. Constantly having to tell people i'm not a 'data guy' (after I present a load of data)
              That means you are a data guy.
              Very underrated skillset by the way - the ability to break down and synthezize big datasets in business terms.

I was doing a presentation last week to ~40 people, all of whom are involved in building out a super-duper new data platform. I talked a lot about content and metadata, then I asked how many of you would describe yourselves as data people. All 40 put up their Zoom hands.

'How many of you actually looked at <name of platform> data today?'
              2 people put up their hands.

Everyone tends to focus on the data product but they all lose sight of the actual data, and what it means. Very common theme.

Comment

If anyone is in the market for a new show, Andor is pretty fucking class. I'm a bit biased as a Star Wars fan but I think it holds up better than The Mandalorian. Andor seems more original/authentic as a story than fan-servicey if that makes sense.

For me, alongside Rogue One (the story overlaps) they are the best live-action productions since the original trilogy. There are no lightsabers or Jedi/Sith force-based characters. It's a spectacle of espionage, the everyman struggle and the broader political environment at play. All credit to the creators for brilliant casting and writing. Three Irish actresses feature prominently and they all have excellent performances - Fiona Shaw, Genevieve O'Reilly and Denise Gough.

Just be careful with spoilers if you start googling. The last episode of season one just dropped so it's all over Twitter, review sites etc. Most of the original reviews from big publications or critics are only of the first 4 episodes so I wouldn't pay too much attention (still positive overall). It's a series that needs to be digested whole.

Comment

I'm in the middle of it now, don't mind about spoilers, I've seen Rogue One I really like it, do like The Mandalorian way more though.

Comment

'How many of you actually looked at <name of platform> data today?'
                    2 people put up their hands.

Everyone tends to focus on the data product but they all lose sight of the actual data, and what it means. Very common theme.

It's a virtual certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Try fit in Hoi An. My favourite place in SE Asia back in the day.
                      What's that btw?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

First paragraph is spot on. No desire to ever write a line of code.

Second paragraph, my interest is less about my current role (Enterprise sales at Salesforce, I get by just fine without this) and more thinking ahead to a possible future move to a much smaller company where, as you phrased it, I’d like to have a seat at the table or be able to row in on Product conversations etc.

I started the Harvard CS50 course yesterday and finding it super interesting so far. Thanks for the steer on that Emmett and others. Seems like an ideal foundation for what I’m after.
                        TMP Engineer here at Salesforce. Let me know if you're in Sandyford office some day, we can go for coffee and you can pick my brain
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                          I'm in the middle of it now, don't mind about spoilers, I've seen Rogue One I really like it, do like The Mandalorian way more though.
                          I think the Mandalorian is definitely more fun and cool but Andor just hits in a different way. The acting and writing is better so far anyway. Regardless, I love them both. I think there's going to be something Mandalorian related dropped over Christmas but the new season won't kick in until February.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

What's that btw?
                            Hoi An is a town in Vietnam, really cool little spot or it used to be at least. North of Nha Trang before you get to Hue.

Comment

Hoi An is a town in Vietnam, really cool little spot or it used to be at least. North of Nha Trang before you get to Hue.
                              Denny defo thought "fit" was a place "in Hoi An".

Which it might be.

I agree with Lao Lao, Hoi An is everything Nha Trang is not.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

War on drugs playing Trinners 27 jun for the fans on here- tickets on sale now- SLOWGHOST password for presale

still only 50E - no idea what trinity like as a venue though

Comment

Google review successful, and they will be removing the 'dangerous site' warnings, so hopefully it's done now. RIP Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Denny defo thought "fit" was a place "in Hoi An".

Which it might be.

I agree with Lao Lao, Hoi An is everything Nha Trang is not.
                                    Yeah thought Lao Lao was trying to send me to the gym. I get it now.

Hoi An is on the list.

Nha Trang was deserted when we were there, so was just drinking cocktails on an empty beach and going out on a boat viewing great scenery, was very pleasant.

Comment

Hoi An is on the list.

Nha Trang was deserted when we were there, so was just drinking cocktails on an empty beach and going out on a boat viewing great scenery, was very pleasant.
                                      Makes sense. The usual tourist there is Russian and those boys have all been enlisted and off on other business.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Random point of interest from the FTX stuff - their head of regulatory/compliance was one of the attorneys involved in trying to cover up the UltimateBet/Absolute Poker scandal

Comment

Random point of interest from the FTX stuff - their head of regulatory/compliance was one of the attorneys involved in trying to cover up the UltimateBet/Absolute Poker scandal
                                          And the COO was a risk manager at Credit Suisse.

"Where were the signs, how did we not see it coming, where did it all go wrong" etc etc.

Comment

I think that these House results might be a case of 'be careful what you wish for' for the GOP.

They will probably end up with a small majority, which means they will constantly be trying to contain their loonier members (think Marjorie Taylor Greene here) into a united front. It'll be a mess.

Although at least that enormous geebag Lauren Boebert seems like she is going to lose her seat. Would have been a fun one to be against as I think she was a 1/20 shot!

Comment

And the COO was a risk manager at Credit Suisse.

"Where were the signs, how did we not see it coming, where did it all go wrong" etc etc.
                                              And their auditors....?

Comment

Hoi An is on the list.

Maybe I'm harsh on Nha Trang but when I was there;

The local lads were super aggressive in trying to sell you drugs and they had a vibe off them that once they sold you the drugs, they'd be shopping you into the police and getting a kick back.

We met an Irish girl travelling on her own on the way to Nha Trang and found out it was her birthday so me and my mates said we'd take her out for the night, can't be celebrating your birthday on your own. She went from being a nice sweet girl to an absolute mental case after drink was consumed to the point that we had to physically carry her home to her hotel. And then as we left her there, she decided to come back out to the street to have a piss (I kid you not) which resulted in me having to fend off two local tuk-tuk drivers who thought she was fair game for a gang bang as she was squatting having a piss in the middle of the street.

The whole Tim Roth being a condescending cunt episode.

The owner of our hotel being a bit of a psycho bitch

The boat booze cruise we went on was grim

Yeah, maybe I'm not being harsh on Nha Trang after all

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                  If you want to learn to code, try and figure out a problem / thing that you want to build / automate and just drag yourself through it.
                                                  100% this.
                                                  A large part of learning is trying to come up with a problem to solve.
                                                  The amount of times I've written a python thing line by line then later came back to it and changed from a 200 line thing to a 50 line thing is unreal.
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah if you're getting more into the nitty gritty side of things. You're 100x more motivated and you internalise it much better when you build it from scratch, end to end yourself.

Good to add to GitHub too. I interviewed a guy that claimed python as a skill, but his GitHub had been dormant for two years.

It's just a general useful skill to have, if you're doing any sort of analysis or work that can be automated.
                                                    I'm not sure about the Github thing.
                                                    I keep most of my work on a corporate github, I've published rare things I think other people might like to rob, things like realex integration/ tokenization of credit cards via api/redundancy calculators/ covid things or somesuch
                                                    but most of the time, I couldnt be arsed publishing my fpl api stuff or silly games I've written for my daughter as a million other people have done that (and my code replicates it) and I'm too tired to rewrite stuff I can easily use to do what I need outside of work
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

my github has entries in 2015 & 2020 and that's it - not sure dormant github means anything tbh - though I certainly wouldn't have mine on my CV if I were interviewing. I'd make certain that if I was sending people the link I had actually done something / showed some progress. Having a log of people's changes through, and being able to see their thought process on the struggle through the problem is a genuinely excellent resource when it comes to hiring.

Just a shame markdown sucks. Most of my pushs are "fixed x" rather than a deep dive.
                                                      Though that is probably a me problem

Comment

That's super common.
                                                        My current role, the startup I was talking about a while back, we spend a lot of time talking to MGA's and brokers about their data and while there are a few excel wizards, very few are actually doing a lot with their data.
                                                        Very good at discussing the sausage but little knowledge of the pig or other cuts potential

Comment

Jesus online poker is an absolute sewer. You not only have to worry about players using real-time assistance against you but it turns out many of the sites themselves are using massive bot rings.

• One of their business models is the so-called "eco-room". The idea is that the bot uses different strategies against regular and recreational players so that the latter wins and the former loses. The goal is to maximize the poker site's profit. They sign contracts with poker sites.
                                                          • Their bots can beat the highest stakes and the toughest pros like LLinusLove, RedBaron etc. (considering these people don't use bots themselves). The bots are used to play the most expensive games in Asian apps.
                                                          One of the admins on 2+2 posted the above on this thread yesterday.

Comment

I'd say Dice is completely engrossed in all the programming chat...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'm not sure about the Github thing.
                                                              I keep most of my work on a corporate github, I've published rare things I think other people might like to rob, things like realex integration/ tokenization of credit cards via api/redundancy calculators/ covid things or somesuch
                                                              but most of the time, I couldnt be arsed publishing my fpl api stuff or silly games I've written for my daughter as a million other people have done that (and my code replicates it) and I'm too tired to rewrite stuff I can easily use to do what I need outside of work
                                                              What's your FPL api stuff? Might give me a bit of inspiration

Comment

It's actually been a bit of a cavalcade of good news this week.
                                                                • Trump getting ripped a new one
                                                                • GOP generally underperforming
                                                                • RuSSia running away across the Dniepro from Kherson
                                                                • US inflation sharply down

The centre holds!

Comment

Ari Shaffir's hour and a bit 'Jew' is better than most of the comedy specials that have come out this year imo.

“Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

What's your FPL api stuff? Might give me a bit of inspiration
                                                                    To save my typing it's basically this but with some bias weighting on my part
                                                                    https://levelup.gitconnected.com/mak...on-38a9648efdf

Comment

I'd say Dice is completely engrossed in all the programming chat...
                                                                      Amazing insights, i would add to them but its already been covered. Funny enough my best buddy is as bad as me but from what i tell from his ramblings in the pub last week has just got some top job as head of Micrsoft Ireland or Europe or some other title

Comment

The FTX story just keeps growing and getting weirder.

Great for Michael Lewis who was already following SBF for a new book about crypto. He's really luckboxed into a massive best seller.

Comment

The FTX story just keeps growing and getting weirder.

Great for Michael Lewis who was already following SBF for a new book about crypto. He's really luckboxed into a massive best seller.
                                                                          Is this a reference to the shitcoins that are now being allowed to prop up the exchange or something else?

How is the shitcoin thing working? They are allowing these select customers to deposit and withdraw to provide liquidity to select shitcoins. They deposit shitcoins that they bought outside the exchange for let's says 10cent each and then sell the shitcoins on the exchange for 5x, 10x that price where they are massively overinflated )because they are allowing withdrawals in general for these select shitcoins forcing customer to take pennies on the dollar. I am trying to clarify it in my own head because I am only reading about it since your post and the whole thing seems so insane.

Comment

Anyone who has been around Crypto for a while should get a good laugh from this

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Amazing insights, i would add to them but its already been covered. Funny enough my best buddy is as bad as me but from what i tell from his ramblings in the pub last week has just got some top job as head of Micrsoft Ireland or Europe or some other title
                                                                              I'm always saying that my lifetime ambition is to be promoted so highly that I don't know what's going on. Sounds like he may have made it.

Comment

Although at least that enormous geebag Lauren Boebert seems like she is going to lose her seat. Would have been a fun one to be against as I think she was a 1/20 shot!
                                                                                Boo, seems like she may have sneaked it in a photo finish.

Comment

Kherson City is Ukrainian again.

That is such a bad look for a dictator:
                                                                                  • Invade sovereign neighbour...check
                                                                                  • Commit innumerable war crimes...check
                                                                                  • Seize strategic province....check
                                                                                  • Hold fake referendum...check
                                                                                  • Declare province Russian for ever., hold elaborate ceremony....check
                                                                                  • Run away in panic, abandoning city in chaos...ehhh, not so good

Comment

I mean, seriously, what a great week.
                                                                                    The two biggest scumbags in the world get utterly humiliated. It doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

I mean, seriously, what a great week.
                                                                                      The two biggest scumbags in the world get utterly humiliated. It doesn't get much better than that.
                                                                                      Could have done with a little bit more of a setback for Trump. I doubt that he'll be heading off the pitch anytime soon.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Could have done with a little bit more of a setback for Trump. I doubt that he'll be heading off the pitch anytime soon.
                                                                                        It’ll be interesting to see if he says FU to the GOP and declares before the Georgia run-off or he does what he’s told and holds off getting directly involved.

Apparently they want him to stay in Florida and raise as much money as possible to push Walker over the line all while staying quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

He is really diminished and lashing out in even more indiscriminate fashion than usual.

I think the fear factor is gone too within the GOP. Loads of them laying into him, beautiful to see.

Trump Is Toast.

Comment

Goddamn pesky free press! Can't we just throw them out a window?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                              Apparently they want him to stay in Florida and raise as much money as possible to push Walker over the line all while staying quiet.
                                                                                              Which tells you exactly what the GOP leadership think of Trump now - electoral liability.

Fortunately for our entertainment purposes, there is zero chance of him doing that.

Comment

Kherson City is Ukrainian again.

That is such a bad look for a dictator:
                                                                                                • Invade sovereign neighbour...check
                                                                                                • Commit innumerable war crimes...check
                                                                                                • Seize strategic province....check
                                                                                                • Hold fake referendum...check
                                                                                                • Declare province Russian for ever., hold elaborate ceremony....check
                                                                                                • Run away in panic, abandoning city in chaos...ehhh, not so good
                                                                                                Don’t forget stopping newly annexed, and saved neighbours at the border and refusing them entry into the Motherland.

The protector of Donblas.

Comment

He is really diminished and lashing out in even more indiscriminate fashion than usual.

I think the fear factor is gone too within the GOP. Loads of them laying into him, beautiful to see.

Trump Is Toast.
                                                                                                  Im shocked its taking so long to toast the odious sneery hog.
                                                                                                  Putin getting humiliated is nice but a bit scary. If he is not taken out by his own , he might employ a nasty city flattening weapon. Big winter brewing.

Comment

Might do the Marathon next year. Who is with me.
                                                                                                    A member of the Garda Anti-Corruption Unit has been accused of using public transport to complete the Dublin city marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Im shocked its taking so long to toast the odious sneery hog.
                                                                                                      Putin getting humiliated is nice but a bit scary. If he is not taken out by his own , he might employ a nasty city flattening weapon. Big winter brewing.
                                                                                                      Maybe. On the positive side he hasn’t done it yet even though Ukraine have now entered ‘Russian territory’

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Maybe. On the positive side he hasn’t done it yet even though Ukraine have now entered ‘Russian territory’
                                                                                                        He's been told in no uncertain terms what happens if he does (by both the US, and possibly more importantly by the Chinese).

Comment

How long have you spent at your workplace.
                                                                                                          Or what was the longest at any workplace?
                                                                                                          Just finished up after 7.5 years in the EPA and I'm totes emosh.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Nice to see the anti-Qatar World Cup activity ramping up. Don't think it's a very good idea for that English couple to go there flaunting their rainbow gear though. That's an ass-slapping waiting to happen.

So lovely to see the corporate-punk tyrants at BrewDog's bandwagon jumping campaign is coming back to slap them round their greedy chops. Even worse is that they're trying to snitch out other brands as a defensive move. Wouldn't want to be on their comms team at the minute.

Bloody pond life.
                                                                                                            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 11-11-22, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

TMP Engineer here at Salesforce. Let me know if you're in Sandyford office some day, we can go for coffee and you can pick my brain
                                                                                                              Ah, sweet. I haven't been in an office in Dublin since January 2020 and was working from home pre-covid. My team is London-based and I sell into the UK so I'm either over there or in my home office. Will likely spend some time in the new office from February though, looks fantastic. Will you be moving there too? Are they closing Sandyford?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                Just crossed 10 years and will suck when I leave! contrats/commiserations

Comment

Deadly! Im a job hopper, longest was 3 years.

What are you most proud of? What do you think your biggest achievement was in those 7 years.

Comment

This is pretty life-affirming to see. Liberation. Hopefully Mariupol next and Putin dead in a ditch somewhere.

Comment

15 years in msft. Knew Billg when he was just a millionaire.

Comment

This is a cracking offer on Sorare, free to play World Cup mode with some mental prizes on offer.
                                                                                                                        Messi signed on as a brand ambassodor the other day, so lots of messi related things as well.

If you do decide to dip your toes,sign up using my link please. We bought get a card when you pick up 5 on auction.
                                                                                                                        https://sorare.com/r/deadparrot

You don't have to buy anything for the world cup mode though!

Comment

Elon suspends his pay blue check mark scheme a day after it launched

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X