This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
    Ya, I'm not able to switch now because my wife is on a career break and with the kids and other property I jointly own, we're not meeting the thresholds they apply, so I'm having to just switch rate internally in BOI who don't have very good rates generally. 3.3% for 10 year rate now isn't terrible though. I'm also pretty risk averse.
    I just did the same recently, quite similar deal, so went for 10 years. Pissed off it's over twice the previous rate i had though.

Comment

Ya, I'm not able to switch now because my wife is on a career break and with the kids and other property I jointly own, we're not meeting the thresholds they apply, so I'm having to just switch rate internally in BOI who don't have very good rates generally. 3.3% for 10 year rate now isn't terrible though. I'm also pretty risk averse.
      It’s not terrible now, but it could be terrible in 5 years.
      Up until recently, rates were at a multi year low, so the long term 5-10 year fixed option was hit with a bit of a penalty. To dissuade people from locked in the low base rate.
      0.3% is a relatively small hike for a 10year fixed option. My gut says that’s because they want people to take the 10 year fixed.

fixed rates will need to above and stay above 3.5 in 3 years time for the 10 year to be the right. But if they recover in the next decade, 3 year is better as it avoids the short term hike only.
      I’d go 3, but I’m probably suffering from regency bias with the “norm” I’ve the last few years being significantly better than current offerings.

Comment

Power out here. Must get a torch and a gas hob thingy as I'd say we'll have outages this Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Been working since January on our new site. Bit the bullet a couple of months back and got a really cool Dutch dev team involved.

Launched today, really proud of it..

www.smartshade.ie
          Are those pics from your factory floor and offices genuine?
          And do ya do anything for velux windows?
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Giggs taking it to a replay. Wouldn't be surprised if jurors are voting according to club loyalties.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

They are, the guy smiling is the one I was telling you guys about before who was sending me all those racist jokes on WhatsApp

Yep, we sell Velux blinds, manual and solar powered.

Let me know the model number and I'll hook you up.

It's on the frame.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Deadly

GGL S06
                  Fecking sun has my head melted in the afternoons working in the attic.
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Deadly

GGL S06
                    Fecking sun has my head melted in the afternoons working in the attic.
                    So you're able to reach it by hand then? Let me know what colour you want and I'll sort it.

Flying to Berlin in the morning for a work thing, I'll sort it out for you when I'm back.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

If one had to choose between a 5 year fixed mortgage rate and a 10 year rate which is 0.3% higher than the 5 year rate, which is the better choice do we think? Obviously hindsight is the only way to know for sure, but still.
                      I think the shorter term has a higher ev, in a year or two inflation will be a distant memory. Longer term might be better though for peace of mind and avoiding longer tail events.

Comment

On that subject, there's a great interview with a member of the Fed that goes into detail on the decisions they have made in the last couple of years -https://open.spotify.com/episode/4LTJlHxclYKbIA3LCDozPz?si=6e0e8433edb64c54

One interesting point was that for most of the stimuli, it was still unclear when and if vaccines would be developed

Comment

damn Williamsbeachbabe. Bad tio. However

Comment

Oh man that was beautiful in the Liverpool match- watching Newcastle players and coaching staff collapse in agony at the end- great to have a new hate club- fuck the Saudis
                            Last edited by MysteryGuest; 31-08-22, 21:21.
                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

If one had to choose between a 5 year fixed mortgage rate and a 10 year rate which is 0.3% higher than the 5 year rate, which is the better choice do we think? Obviously hindsight is the only way to know for sure, but still.
                              3.3% for ten years? Yeah lock it in. As you say yourself you are quite risk averse, so any losses will outweigh the gains. This gives you the opportunity to completely forget about your mortgage. It's a fixed amount for the foreseeable future. Done deal.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Kielys of Donnybrook demolished. A good day for misery guts

Comment

Got "demolished" in Kielys myself on several occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

3.3% for ten years? Yeah lock it in. As you say yourself you are quite risk averse, so any losses will outweigh the gains. This gives you the opportunity to completely forget about your mortgage. It's a fixed amount for the foreseeable future. Done deal.
                                    A lose outweighing the gains is surely a reason not to do something...
                                    Or do you mean the lose in money is worth it to forget about the hassle.

The latter would depend on how poor a rate 3.3% is in 10 years, it if stays at 3%, not too big a deal. If it falls, the loss could be 5 figures

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

A lose outweighing the gains is surely a reason not to do something...
                                      Or do you mean the lose in money is worth it to forget about the hassle.
                                      He’s Daniel Kahneman’ing the situation.

ProspectTheory-1200x903.jpg

Comment

Met Hitch on the way in to the office this morning. Watching him go from the warm greeting to: 'oh shit who is this', to: ah now I remember, in the space of 2 seconds was a joy to behold.

Comment

Please the baby Jesus...let this just be the start of the drip feeding for Donnelly.
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Haaland is some specimen of a footballer. Literally built to brutalise PL defenders. Nice to also have a support act that puts the ball on his toe/head when required. City will be hard stopped as it is and if their defence tightens up it's a done deal.

Comment

Saturday is National Cinema Day. Tickets €4- all day in most cinemas. Don't miss your chance to see Blackbird.

Participating cinemas include: Arc Cinemas; Carrick Cineplex; Cineworld; Eclipse Cinemas; Eye Cinema; Gate Cinemas; IMC Cinemas; Light House Cinema; Movies@ Cinemas; Odeon Cinemas; Omniplex Cinemas; Pálás Cinema; Reel Cinemas; Vue Cinemas.
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                Haaland is some specimen of a footballer. Literally built to brutalise PL defenders. Nice to also have a support act that puts the ball on his toe/head when required. City will be hard stopped as it is and if their defence tightens up it's a done deal.
                                                I blame Roy Keane .

Comment

I went to Harvard you know...

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status...74018101530632

Comment

I appreciate the irony of mocking someone else's intellect whilst being unable to properly embed a tweet.

Comment

Looks like so can’t use Charles tyrwhitt for work shirts - I can’t support a company that thinks it’s appropriate to send out a mail of such twee crap to grown adult men. fucking cunts

“I’ve always said that I want our customers to love Charles Tyrwhitt.

Love is a much-overused word and often a little misunderstood. When I sit down with new starters here at CT and explain what it is we’re trying to do, I tell them the one thing I want above all else is for our customers to love us.

Not in a Paddington Bear way. I don’t want you to think we are all warm and cuddly and sweet and a bit messy (we would never keep marmalade sandwiches under our hat).

More the sort of love you might have for your favourite pen! Hardly romantic, I know, but it just works perfectly. It brings joy to your heart. You just cannot live without it.

You have been a great Charles Tyrwhitt customer. I am hugely grateful, and I would be lying if I said I didn’t hope you loved us a little already. You might even love us a lot, and please don’t let me stop you “letting rip” and shouting that from the rooftops.

But no matter where you sit on the “warm and fuzzy feeling” dial, I have a special thank you.”

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

He’s Daniel Kahneman’ing the situation.

ProspectTheory-1200x903.jpg
                                                        I get the idea of being loss adverse. The 10 year option is guaranteed to lose more over the next 3 years. Was getting at the fact it avoid risk, by accepting a guaranteed over those years.
                                                        Obviously I get that any other option could lose more. I'm taking the view that up is as likely as down, so the low-risk options is more lossy overall - might not be right. I've no idea what the 10 year forecast is.

By own fixed term is up next march. Think that's going to be an awful time to be shopping around. The variable portion is getting hit pretty hard each month, luckily the offset applies fully to that portion until the other unfixes

Comment

Mad Vlad is getting very repetitive. But maybe the method is the message.
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Pretty harsh on Gorby not to even get a state funeral, when you consider how central he was to the history of the late twentieth century. Although I guess no world leaders could have attended anyway, so there is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              Pretty harsh on Gorby not to even get a state funeral, when you consider how central he was to the history of the late twentieth century. Although I guess no world leaders could have attended anyway, so there is that?
                                                              Not really that surprising given he wasn't that popular within Russia.
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                They let him live so long . Was it -> I’ve got news for you introduction music that splatted his birthmark on his head as the last note of the intro was played. (or maybe Spitting image). The flakes of today would NOT be happy with such birthmarxits behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I get the idea of being loss adverse. The 10 year option is guaranteed to lose more over the next 3 years. Was getting at the fact it avoid risk, by accepting a guaranteed over those years.
                                                                  Obviously I get that any other option could lose more. I'm taking the view that up is as likely as down, so the low-risk options is more lossy overall - might not be right. I've no idea what the 10 year forecast is.

By own fixed term is up next march. Think that's going to be an awful time to be shopping around. The variable portion is getting hit pretty hard each month, luckily the offset applies fully to that portion until the other unfixes
                                                                  I think it’s the 5 year @ 3% rather than the 3 year, and I’m not sure it’s that far off.

My thinking would be, assuming I don’t work in a lump sum/bonus heavy employment where paying off a sizeable portion of th mortgage would be desirable, then the break even for me is whether I think the 5year rate in 5 years time would be >3.6%, I think there is a very good likelihood that this will be the case, so I’d be inclined to fix for 10 years knowing that likelihoods are in my favour and I get the unquantifiable benefit of peace of mind that it will not get out of control.

If it was a 3 year, then I think the 7-fix in 3 years time would need to be >3.42% in 3 years time which I also think is pretty likely.

You also have asymmetric risk where if you’re wrong (having fixed) you might be about to 100-150bps MAX out of pocket per annum, if you’re wrong and don’t fix you could 500-600bps wrong.

Comment

UK can't 'shuffle us off the interconnector' because that's, em, how they supply gas to Northern Ireland. We've only one grid on the island. Gas comes into Dublin and then gets sent wherever it is needed.

Jesus, glad I'm back to fight the disinformation.
                                                                    Irony alert

There is a pipeline going directly from Scotland to Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland (called SNIP) and another one going from Scotland to Grangegorman, Dublin which splits in 2 but both land into the Rep. Ireland. The gas connectors can only flow one way, from UK to Ireland. With the exception of Newry, Banbridge all of the north can be supplied from the North.

Disinformation

Comment

Pig and Heifer on Pearse Street still banging out top tier sandwiches. Popped in today for the first time since covid began and jaysus they're still unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Irony alert

There is a pipeline going directly from Scotland to Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland (called SNIP) and another one going from Scotland to Grangegorman, Dublin which splits in 2 but both land into the Rep. Ireland. The gas connectors can only flow one way, from UK to Ireland. With the exception of Newry, Banbridge all of the north can be supplied from the North.

Disinformation
                                                                        I know you have expertise in the energy game, could you direct me to a good place to understand what I should be looking for when determining installing solar?

Largely I’m wondering about do I need a battery, the difference in quality, perhaps future proofing if we extended both out or up.

I believe Hitch said something to the effect that it may pay off in around 3 years given rising energy prices.
                                                                        I’ll assume that’s disinformation of course but just wondering if it’s worth it for me.

On a side note, the house which is the most direct comparison to ours in the estate and the first house since the estate was built has gone up for sale. To say I’m excited to learn more is an understatement.

Comment

Biggest project I've been involved in to date wrapped this week. The christening is tomorrow night, the two local rivals face off in the last game of the league.
                                                                          Complementary tickets dropped off today.
                                                                          SPOILER

301654739_612296206949025_1633122688653709762_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_e35_s1080x1080&_nc_ht=instagram.fsyd4-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=feLrHxibDvgAX8CzSQt&edm=AGenrX8BAAAA&ccb=7-5&oh=00_AT8PT12O2hHXqpG2wQ75aDF7eE0mgqHgjEjEC8tDwP

Obvious I'm not taking credit for the entire thing. And being honest, my involvement was less than others on the team. But nonetheless, it was a very interesting project to be involved in on site.

Comment

I know you have expertise in the energy game, could you direct me to a good place to understand what I should be looking for when determining installing solar?

Largely I’m wondering about do I need a battery, the difference in quality, perhaps future proofing if we extended both out or up.

I believe Hitch said something to the effect that it may pay off in around 3 years given rising energy prices.
                                                                            I’ll assume that’s disinformation of course but just wondering if it’s worth it for me.

On a side note, the house which is the most direct comparison to ours in the estate and the first house since the estate was built has gone up for sale. To say I’m excited to learn more is an understatement.
                                                                            Jesus is Tramore that bad?
                                                                            Are you still WFH or what made you pick there anyway?
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Jesus is Tramore that bad?
                                                                              Are you still WFH or what made you pick there anyway?
                                                                              How do you mean bad? As in difficult to buy in? If so, then I’d say yes, house prices seem to be out of control.

I visit the site once every couple of weeks and then split the rest of my time between home & a shared office I’m in.
                                                                              My preference would be an office full time but less roles down here but feel I have a decent compromise as I’d be very slow to consider moving location.

Comment

Theres a gang of about a dozen 5/6/7 yo's mooch around our cul de sac. They were all in the back here yesterday and i heard the little French lad selling 3 x sweets for a euro from those €1 Haribo packs you get. Decent ROI I was thinking as he encouraged all to go get money.

Well he obviously had the same thought lines as me, as low and behold he was back today with 4 packets on the same racket.

Will go far that lad.

Comment

It's been a while, but my song is out today! A lively little jazz number...

Comment

How do you mean bad? As in difficult to buy in? If so, then I’d say yes, house prices seem to be out of control.

I visit the site once every couple of weeks and then split the rest of my time between home & a shared office I’m in.
                                                                                    My preference would be an office full time but less roles down here but feel I have a decent compromise as I’d be very slow to consider moving location.
                                                                                    ohhh sorry i interpreted the last line as you wanted to know what the neighbours house made so you can sell up.
                                                                                    Bill Badbody on the social medias is a funny follow for local situations in Tramore.
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

New business rates from a major provider...gulp....8OC per unit for your standard general purpose meter. Just incredible. That's curtains for some businesses.

Comment

Can’t wait to hear about what a great family man the lad who punched the ref in Roscommon is , rush of blood to the head, passion etc

its a joke if the simple cunt doesn’t see the inside of a cell for this but you outfit be surprised if he doesn’t

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                          Can’t wait to hear about what a great family man the lad who punched the ref in Roscommon is , rush of blood to the head, passion etc

its a joke if the simple cunt doesn’t see the inside of a cell for this but you outfit be surprised if he doesn’t
                                                                                          Mistype I expect, I'd make it 5/1 he spends a night in a cell for that.

Lifetime ban from GAA might happen but will soon be forgiven and forgotten
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Biggest iris team sport achievement of the year so far by Irish womens soccer team tonight can’t think of anything else that come close?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Not even a punch. A head butt apparently which makes it worse imo. The casual nature of the cunt makes it seem like its not a 1st offence either. Prison and a lifetime ban from all GAA activity.

But like you said, great family man, great GAA man, doesn't deserve to be on trial on social media. All the usual shite when in reality he is just a fucking nacker

Comment

Recommending This Fool as comedy gold on Disney+ if you're anyway interested in Cali/Latino culture. Just out a couple of weeks.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea but refreshingly non-PC, and I think if you get the cultural nuance (through hip hop/movies etc...) you'll be richly rewarded.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 at 21.51.05.png

Comment

PS.. also watched Amy Schumer's new series Life & Beth on Disney+ over a few nights last week and found it very easy on the eye, with some great performances and a depth I wouldn't necessarily have expected of her before now.

I enjoyed it. A bit slow/patchy to take off but got more poignant as it went on and as it went on and i suppose it helps that I've always thought she was bigger than the sum of her parts and I think it validates that I've always thought she was bigger than the sum of her parts. Or something.

A good start to a new phase I hope.
                                                                                                  inda validates thScreenshot 2022-09-01 at 22.04.53.png
                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-09-22, 21:12.

Comment

if self-sufficiency is your game, you need battery. With a decent FIT - the grid 'becomes' your battery.

Batteries are stll v expensive though unfortunately.

Comment

Sanna Marin , Tove Jansson, Katri Kulmuni, Irina Bjorklund. , Santa Claus, mika hakkinen and his wife , kimi raikkonen Yari Litmanen , your girls got a beating tonight.

Comment

Was at Mulberry Garden in Donnybrook tonight. Ridic good food. Seem to have been running for ages? Thought it was a new place. I'll be dreaming of that suckling pork for an age.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Irony alert

Disinformation
                                                                                                          Ha. You are indeed right. The map I looked up had the Scottish - NI pipe coded as a private pipe in a different colour, so I was thinking it was for some other purpose than regular supply. It has some sort of limitations on its use though, no? Capacity or cost or something. As in, its not regularly used for some reasons. Although that doesn't mean it can't be brought back into use. Not sure that means we then wouldn't have access to gas given we have an all-island infrastructure.

Comment

Ah, I was probably exaggerating when I said three years. But it's almost certainly less than five years at the moment unless the cost of install has risen significantly recently.

We got 4kwh with hot water heating for €6,200 after the grant. That gives 5,500 units a year. But depends on sunlight in your area. Could easily pay back within three years. But hopefully electricity prices fall back a bit.

You definitely don't need a battery. It's a few grand cost so would take ages to pay back, while now you can sell back your excess units to the grid at half the cost.

There's some fantastic new solars that also heat the water as a bonus. Not sure what they are called. The previous solar style needed a separate panel just for heating the water.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1724361&d=1662067725&type=thumb

Comment

The Ipcress File is such a class show. Well worth a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                  It's been a while, but my song is out today! A lively little jazz number...

Damn HJ that's fucking good!

Jazz, ska, 80s pop, (bloody Madness piano licks all over the middle of it for God sake!) and plenty of foray-ing into the avant grade (if you don't mind! in the later quarter).

Class sir. Class.

Comment

I wouldn’t know enough about the solar options to give advice to be honest, it only extends as far as my parents got them into their house and it’s worked wonders for the bill.

Comment

Ha. You are indeed right. The map I looked up had the Scottish - NI pipe coded as a private pipe in a different colour, so I was thinking it was for some other purpose than regular supply. It has some sort of limitations on its use though, no? Capacity or cost or something. As in, its not regularly used for some reasons. Although that doesn't mean it can't be brought back into use. Not sure that means we then wouldn't have access to gas given we have an all-island infrastructure.
                                                                                                                      I think it “private” in the sense that as British Gas was privatised.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Damn HJ that's fucking good!

Jazz, ska, 80s pop, (bloody Madness piano licks all over the middle of it for God sake!) and plenty of foray-ing into the avant grade (if you don't mind! in the later quarter).

Class sir. Class.

Anyone else thinking 'who are your influences?'

hqdefault.jpg

Comment

on solar - as before - don't forget it's use-it-or-lose-it with regards to power generation (unless you store!).

Our best months for solar generation are May-Sept. The best times are about 10am-6pm generally. You may see almost nothing generated Nov-Feb.

When do you use most of your electricity?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X