Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking play is available to stream from 7:30 tonight for 36 hours for free by Druid. Watched it last year, a dramatic imagining of the incident in England where a jogger bumps a woman in front of a bus. I highly recommend it:

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Fair whiff of tribalism off Hitch's defence of that murdering academic.
      I don't think you can read that newspaper report and have a firm opinion either way, there are two many unanswered questions. Why were the travelers there? Why did he shoot the dog in the first place? Why did he have a gun with him?

Comment

The Fed just jacked up rates and said there is SIX more increases coming this year. Going to be some serious pain when the ECB plays catch-up on this side of the pond...
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          The Fed just jacked up rates and said there is SIX more increases coming this year. Going to be some serious pain when the ECB plays catch-up on this side of the pond...
          Ah remember that golden age a month ago, when the biggest news was about Joe Rogan, and if aged musicians like Joni Mitchell and Neil Young could influence Spotify. Happy times.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

So you're saying fix my mortgage pronto right?
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

That's it Micknail. Have a side gig working in a shop also.
              I always wanted to work in a butchers.
              Weird one even now, as I don't eat meat anymore.

What kind of shop is it?
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

happy to have a small bet there won't be - and the ECB can't afford it either - lip service and tokenism. War and oil doing the job nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

happy to have a small bet there won't be - and the ECB can't afford it either - lip service and tokenism. War and oil doing the job nicely.
                  Oh, I don't think there'll be six ECB rate increases in short succession. But there will be rises.

Comment

Jesus, Putin really went full Hitler-crazy with his rant today.

Comment

Very naive question- does interest rates being raised mean I’ll be able to stick a wedge in the bank and watch compound interest work it’s magic again? I know it probably doesnt but..
                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Jesus, Putin really went full Hitler-crazy with his rant today.
                        Ah, could you at least give him the respect of calling it 'full Stalin crazy'.

Comment

Fair whiff of tribalism off Hitch's defence of that murdering academic.
                          I think you'll find that everyone is presumed innocent at this stage in proceedings.

But, lets look at wombat's shocking evidence against him:

• Was in fear for my life. Check.
                          • Tried to do first aid. Check.
                          • Called the guards. Check.
                          The absolute guilty bastard. Surely only a guilty person would *swoon* ... try to do first aid.

The tribalism is actually the general assumption (by you, I guess, and wombat) that he must be a scheming psychopath because of his well-to-do background.

Absent major new evidence, not yet delivered, he is clearly walking after the trial with the current evidence. The worst sentence would maybe be two-three years (which would probably be a tough sentence, that someone of a more sympathetic background probably wouldn't get) for some minor form of manslaughter.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think you'll find that everyone is presumed innocent at this stage in proceedings.
                            And posting about the reporting of a case is about as interesting as the article about Vogue William's change of knickers this morning. There might be no such article

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I always wanted to work in a butchers.
                              Weird one even now, as I don't eat meat anymore.

What kind of shop is it?
                              Gifts, toys, books, cards, crockery, candles, baby clothes, jewellery, stationery, confectionery, newspapers/mags etc

Do Rathbornes/Brooke and Shoals and Nicky Mosse stuff...very fancy!!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

And posting about the reporting of a case is about as interesting as the article about Vogue William's change of knickers this morning. There might be no such article
                                Well its quite a fascinating case that was mentioned here quite a bit when the original shooting incident happened. So its definitely newsworthy.

Comment

UJy5AQm.png

Comment

Havent gone in depth to that shooting case.
                                    I think the shot to the back of the head will be a key piece here.
                                    "so MR Conlon was turned away from you when you shot him"
                                    If I'm remembering it right from the few bits I've read.

Comment

Do Rathbornes/Brooke and Shoals and Nicky Mosse stuff...very fancy!!
                                      Cool, never heard of them, do they have many albums out?
                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Well its quite a fascinating case that was mentioned here quite a bit when the original shooting incident happened. So its definitely newsworthy.
                                        Any spare time to read Andrei's article from last December? Only scanned it myself, but liked that he had a bit of Joyce in there https://www.mdpi.com/2571-905X/4/4/60/htm

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Any spare time to read Andrei's article from last December? Only scanned it myself, but liked that he had a bit of Joyce in there https://www.mdpi.com/2571-905X/4/4/60/htm
                                          I actually read it at the time you originally posted it. Seems like a smart bit of work. I've used Benford's Law in a few research articles. That one definitely seems decent quality, quite a fun topic too.

Comment

I mean the Band were such great musicians. They could all play multiple instruments, fantastic talent.

Check out Caravan with Van.

Comment

But, lets look at wombat's shocking evidence against him:

The absolute guilty bastard. Surely only a guilty person would *swoon* ... try to do first aid.

The tribalism is actually the general assumption (by you, I guess, and wombat) that he must be a scheming psychopath because of his well-to-do background.

Absent major new evidence, not yet delivered, he is clearly walking after the trial with the current evidence. The worst sentence would maybe be two-three years (which would probably be a tough sentence, that someone of a more sympathetic background probably wouldn't get) for some minor form of manslaughter.
                                              I never said he was a murderer and I don't expect him to be convicted of murder from what I have heard so far.

The fact that he killed the dog, was sauntering around with a rifle and a revolver, and that he shot an unarmed man in the back of the head, were the clues I was using to deduce he was a bit of a psycho. Where did I say anything about his background?
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I never said he was a murderer and I don't expect him to be convicted of murder from what I have heard so far.

The fact that he killed the dog, was sauntering around with a rifle and a revolver, and that he shot an unarmed man in the back of the head, were the clues I was using to deduce he was a bit of a psycho. Where did I say anything about his background?
                                                How would you end up using the fact he gave first aid and called the guards as a 'clue' that he is guilty?

I suspect your opinion is driven by his background.

Theres a general opinion in this direction in the country. E.g. all that Joshua from Ballymaloe nonsense over some teenage mistakes.

A lot of people want people with this type of background to be punished irrespective of justice.

Comment

Reading between the lines I'd say your man was planning something like this for a while and had his legal playbook ready.
                                                  • Gave warning. Check.
                                                  • Fired warning shots. Check.
                                                  • Was in fear for my life. Check.
                                                  • Tried to do first aid. Check.
                                                  • Called the guards. Check.
                                                  • Wrote to AGS umpteen times to complain and say something like this might happen if they didn't take action. Check.
                                                  They fact that he was tooled up for WW3 while out for a stroll says it all. Strikes me as a dispassionate, eye for an eye, psychopath.
                                                  And this was your original post I was responding to - it's quite different to what you just posted as your reasons!

Comment

A lot of people want people with this type of background to be punished irrespective of justice.
                                                    No idea where you're getting that from, certainly not here. You brought the story up.

Mad though that you jump to defend someone from this type of background irrespective of justice.

Can't imagine for a minute you defending the Tallaght lad if fate had the roles reversed.

Tribalism innit, which ironically is your argument.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

No idea where you're getting that from, certainly not here. You brought the story up.

Mad though that you jump to defend someone from this type of background irrespective of justice.

Can't imagine for a minute you defending the Tallaght lad if fate had the roles reversed.

Tribalism innit, which ironically is your argument.
                                                      I suspect that's the point. That the tribalism is on your side. If you think other people think like that, then you are innately thinking of things in that tribal sense. I would just as easily defend anyone. In fact, I don't think I've ever in my entire life asked for more punishment for anyone. One of my core hates is those articles alluding to a soft justice system when someone has 300 convictions and has been given bail again. Like, if someone has 300 convictions then something has desperately gone wrong with their life that we should be helping with rather than trying to jail them.

Comment

And this was your original post I was responding to - it's quite different to what you just posted as your reasons!
                                                        My initial point was that his actions on the day and testimony ot the bail hearing lend themselves to a premeditation that will play well down the line in court. No surprise there given his profession.

The futility of running for a first aid kit to assist a man with half his head blown off seems to be lost on you.

You are the only one bringing class or social status into this. Too ready to come to the defence of your caste methinks.

Comment

Got a quote for the solar panels, that I think we'll go with. A well-reviewed place. Its going to be €6,200 for panels (after deducting the €2,600 grant) that they estimate will deliver 4,700 kwh per year for our location. 13 kwh per day on average seems about right as an estimate given some of the studies I;ve read. I'm thinking electricity units will touch 25 cent soon enough, and maybe continue like that, so a saving of €1,175 a year, so 5.5 years to payback and then free electricity contribution for the following 25 years. We use more than enough electricity throughout the year to use any level of production really, so it doesn't matter that most of the units will be produced in the summer.

Comment

My initial point was that his actions on the day and testimony ot the bail hearing lend themselves to a premeditation that will play well down the line in court. No surprise there given his profession.

The futility of running for a first aid kit to assist a man with half his head blown off seems to be lost on you.

You are the only one bringing class or social status into this. Too ready to come to the defence of your caste methinks.
                                                            No. Laz made the comment, the first to do so, about my 'tribalism'. I hadn't thought about it until that point.

Comment

Got a quote for the solar panels, that I think we'll go with. A well-reviewed place. Its going to be €6,200 for panels (after deducting the €2,600 grant) that they estimate will deliver 4,700 kwh per year for our location. 13 kwh per day on average seems about right as an estimate given some of the studies I;ve read. I'm thinking electricity units will touch 25 cent soon enough, and maybe continue like that, so a saving of €1,175 a year, so 5.5 years to payback and then free electricity contribution for the following 25 years. We use more than enough electricity throughout the year to use any level of production really, so it doesn't matter that most of the units will be produced in the summer.
                                                              lol wut.

If on a sunny day you produce 16 kWh between 9am and 5pm, but only use 3kWh because you've no heating / washing / hot water tank going, you realise that you 'gift' the 12kWh to the grid right? The FIT may work out at 1/4ish of unit to buy. So maybe you get credit for 3kWh from ESBN.

In Ireland - legitimately, home solar (without a battery!!) only really works if you're able to balance supply / demand in the home. Which for a huge percentage of Irish homes is extremely difficult!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

lol wut.

If on a sunny day you produce 16 kWh between 9am and 5pm, but only use 3kWh because you've no heating / washing / hot water tank going, you realise that you 'gift' the 12kWh to the grid right? The FIT may work out at 1/4ish of unit to buy. So maybe you get credit for 3kWh from ESBN.

In Ireland - legitimately, home solar (without a battery!!) only really works if you're able to balance supply / demand in the home. Which for a huge percentage of Irish homes is extremely difficult!
                                                                I don't know. We seem to be very high electricity usage even without the heating. 30kwh on that alone. So, it seems like it might be grand? And any surplus goes to heating hot water. Might be clueless on this, but not so sure.

Comment

I suppose the margin of error is fine with the decision. There's 4700 kwh available if you grab them all. How many might you not grab? Not so sure its all that many subject to behavioural change. 20-30% maybe, at an absolute maximum? It doesn't really change the dial on whether its a decent investment, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                    Very naive question- does interest rates being raised mean I’ll be able to stick a wedge in the bank and watch compound interest work it’s magic again? I know it probably doesnt but..
                                                                    Each rake hike is 25basis points, so 6 hikes is adding 1.5% to the current rates. Inflation is currently running at 8%, so unless something drastic changes the only magic compound interest will be is making you poorer.

Comment

I don't know. We seem to be very high electricity usage even without the heating. 30kwh on that alone. So, it seems like it might be grand? And any surplus goes to heating hot water. Might be clueless on this, but not so sure.
                                                                      How could you have a base load of over a kW?

Have you got loads of old bulbs going or something?

Getting yourself an idea of what's burning through electricity and then reducing that power consumption is almost certainly easier and cheaper than fitting solar panels to feed it.
                                                                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

How could you have a base load of over a kW?

Have you got loads of old bulbs going or something?

Getting yourself an idea of what's burning through electricity and then reducing that power consumption is almost certainly easier and cheaper than fitting solar panels to feed it.
                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                        We got a smart meter installed late last year. Lots of cheer about energy monitoring, see what each appliance uses etc. Noone has an app as far as i can tell yet that does these magic calculations, all it does is take a job from the bloke who used to read it.
                                                                        Talk of maybe down the road, like HH, if we have a surplus solar we can get credit for it with these types of meters.

Might actually look into getting panels, the way the price is going, a 5 year return doesnt sound too bad at all.
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

What presumption should we make
                                                                          about a man who left home
                                                                          carrying multiple loaded weapons
                                                                          & shot someone in the head from behind?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                            What presumption should we make
                                                                            about a man who left home
                                                                            carrying multiple loaded weapons
                                                                            & shot someone in the head from behind?
                                                                            He's American?

Comment

Has to be one of the all round busiest days for Public Transport in Dublin and they put on a Sunday Service

Comment

One of my core hates is those articles alluding to a soft justice system when someone has 300 convictions and has been given bail again. Like, if someone has 300 convictions then something has desperately gone wrong with their life that we should be helping with rather than trying to jail them.
                                                                                Not a word about the victims of the crimes, ever. Interesting.

Comment

I see Mehole is trying to prove that he is the ultimate Republican by potentially taking out Pelosi

Comment

Like, if someone has 300 convictions then something has desperately gone wrong with their life that we should be helping with rather than trying to jail them.
                                                                                    I'd argue that someone with 300 convictions is a scourge on society and most likely can not be helped. They should therefore be kept away from society rather than fruitless attempts at rehabilitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I'd argue that someone with 300 convictions is a scourge on society and most likely can not be helped. They should therefore be kept away from society rather than fruitless attempts at rehabilitation.
                                                                                      Take a zero off that imo.

Think of all the victims: physical, psychlogical, emotional, financial.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... I spent a lot of time last year researching windows to change my own and I'd definitely recommend triple glazing over double and it's not a significant difference in price.
                                                                                        The windows that were in the house originally were badly fitted in 1997 by Munster Joinery and that was allowing wind to blow in all around them.
                                                                                        The Munster product nowadays was coming out very good for u values etc and were at a very good price point but there fitters were not getting good reviews. I wanted to also change the window cills on the front of the house and as they didn't do this I decided to measure and fit the windows myself.
                                                                                        I but the bullet and don't it last summer and even though we had a mild winter the difference is phenomenal.
                                                                                        The secret though is putting airtight tape all around the inside.
                                                                                        Id post a pic only I can't do it on this new site.

Comment

Screenshot_20220315-190501_Gallery.jpg

Comment

Oh it actually worked, that's the front of the house with new cills and sliding sash windows from Munster.
                                                                                            I also took off the old plastered on plinth and replace it with a granite one to match the cills.

Comment

This was the house before:
                                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

Not a word about the victims of the crimes, ever. Interesting.
                                                                                                If we properly treated the 300 crime person. Treat them as a victim that needs help due to life circumstances, then we stop creating more victims. Scandinavian justice not Wild West justice. Wild West justice is brutal ideology, Scandinavian justice is a scientific approach to reducing crime that has been shown to work vastly better.

Comment

The key thing we need to ask today is: how would St Patrick treat the crime spree junkie?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                    Has to be one of the all round busiest days for Public Transport in Dublin and they put on a Sunday Service
                                                                                                    Ah ffs. Was just about to jump on a bus.

Comment

People with double barrel names should be presumed guilty until found innocent imo
                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Irish times committing war crimes now

Comment

That's a fine looking house cuchulain! I must check how much the triple glazing costs.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                            People with double barrel names should be presumed guilty until found innocent imo
                                                                                                            That's all South Americans.

Oh, I take your point.

Comment

Iceland doing something right..feck all crime there.
                                                                                                              Island with low population = conformity?..social cohesion etc

If I had the money think I would like to live at least a decent part of the year there. Winter in Portugal and divide the rest between Ireland and Iceland......hmmm Irish Open touch maybe.

So sick of reading about pensioners being beaten to death in their homes and animalistic violence by the worst type of scum. Imagine the utter terror they went through and if they were lucky enough to survive getting their face kicked in by some thug imagine the fear they would carry for the rest of their life. Fuck them.

We could pour money into better green areas, amenities, schools etc so that future generations have a better chance of growing up in a more socially responsible environment.
                                                                                                              I would absolutely be in favour of paying more tax if it was used properly and not fucking wasted on a 2 billion euro clusterfuck or appropriated to pay for another 10000 posters because some idiot didnt proof read.
                                                                                                              Look at the green areas in Neilstown and Tallaght ..they're utterly miserable and featureless. I've read that good proper green areas with trees and nice features /play areas improve that social feeling. People taking pride in their area. But that's just 1 tiny step.
                                                                                                              Imagine a future where your kids are guaranteed a great education that theres a plan for their life with top class teachers (and lower class sizes), guidance counsellors at every stage of their education investing them with enthusiasm for the future. I'd be willing to pay more now so a future lower income family had a more equitable chance of their kids succeeding in life.

Tax me more ye bastards!!

Comment

So sick of reading about pensioners being beaten to death in their homes and animalistic violence by the worst type of scum. Imagine the utter terror they went through and if they were lucky enough to survive getting their face kicked in by some thug imagine the fear they would carry for the rest of their life. Fuck them.
                                                                                                                How dare you refer to them as scum. They are victims too and can contribute meaningfully once they are rehabilitated!

Comment

If we properly treated the 300 crime person. Treat them as a victim that needs help due to life circumstances, then we stop creating more victims. Scandinavian justice not Wild West justice. Wild West justice is brutal ideology, Scandinavian justice is a scientific approach to reducing crime that has been shown to work vastly better.
                                                                                                                  Read about their system ages ago. Could have been Sweden where convicts are sent to an open "prison" ie a nice wooded green area with a cottage and participate in workshops etc.
                                                                                                                  Cant remember what the overall data was as regards recidivism but it was greatly improved IIRC so maybe there is something in that all right.

Last edited by dinekes; 17-03-22, 11:41.

Comment

A popular campaign slogan.

Comment

That's a fine looking house cuchulain! I must check how much the triple glazing costs.
                                                                                                                      For the 13 windows at the front of the house which were all sliding sash it was 765 extra.
                                                                                                                      For the front door it was 200 extra.
                                                                                                                      For the 7 windows at the back it was an extra 450.
                                                                                                                      That was all ex vat.

Comment

Iceland doing something right..feck all crime there.
                                                                                                                        Island with low population = conformity?..social cohesion etc

If I had the money think I would like to live at least a decent part of the year there. Winter in Portugal and divide the rest between Ireland and Iceland......hmmm Irish Open touch maybe.

We could pour money into better green areas, amenities, schools etc so that future generations have a better chance of growing up in a more socially responsible environment.
                                                                                                                        I would absolutely be in favour of paying more tax if it was used properly and not fucking wasted on a 2 billion euro clusterfuck or appropriated to pay for another 10000 posters because some idiot didnt proof read.
                                                                                                                        Look at the green areas in Neilstown and Tallaght ..they're utterly miserable and featureless. I've read that good proper green areas with trees and nice features /play areas improve that social feeling. People taking pride in their area. But that's just 1 tiny step.
                                                                                                                        Imagine a future where your kids are guaranteed a great education that theres a plan for their life with top class teachers (and lower class sizes), guidance counsellors at every stage of their education investing them with enthusiasm for the future. I'd be willing to pay more now so a future lower income family had a more equitable chance of their kids succeeding in life.

I think you're spot on. That green area of Ballymun is soul sucking. You must grow up thinking everyone in gov hates you. We really need to invest in making sure everyone feels part of society.

Comment

Interesting exchange in the Phelan bail hearing.

The judge asked the accused if he could sell both farms by selling the companies. Mr Phelan said the farms are held in trust for the benefit of his children. “The land in Tallaght is in various arrangements,” he added.

“Is the company the owner or not?” asked the judge. “Yes, the company is the legal owner but not the beneficial owner of all the lands,” he replied.

Legal vs Beneficial ownership. Ok Google.........

Twas an unfortunate accident anyway so nothing to see here. Move along.

Mr O’Higgins has told the court that the tenor of Mr Phelan’s statement to gardai was that the shooting was an accident, where he had crossed the gun over from left to right in an arc and was “stunned” by Mr Conlon’s injury.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X