This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

So how does crypto take over the world if it can't handle a few hundred billion? Surely there's a road map somewhere for practical growth.
    The payment system isn't the important thing here, its the counterparty.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

December and January were great, at least down here, but we always seem to have dreadful weather in Feb/March the last few years.
      Late Feb/Early March snow has been quite common over the last decade.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The payment system isn't the important thing here, its the counterparty.
        I suppose my academic issue, is that if the crypto market can act the same way as traditional financial markets - and decide to cut people or countries out of the system, then its not really decentralised and is just inheriting the same problems as the main financial markets. Now maybe thats the crypto system the people want, but I suspect it doesn't quite suit the future needs of what that system should become.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I suppose my academic issue, is that if the crypto market can act the same way as traditional financial markets - and decide to cut people or countries out of the system, then its not really decentralised and is just inheriting the same problems as the main financial markets. Now maybe thats the crypto system the people want, but I suspect it doesn't quite suit the future needs of what that system should become.
          Don't we need some form of regulation and enforcement so that baddies that are shut out of traditional systems\markets can't exploit crypto for their own illicit ends?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think the underlying message is don't have your assests on the exchange, use a wallet.
            Which is day 1 crypto advice anyway
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Has anyone mentioned how brutal it is out there yet? ffs. Spring has not quite sprung. First step on our 'when we get more money' tour is to get new windows. Felt like sheltering in a blizzard last night with the single glazing at the back of the house.
              Oh its futhermucking cold!

Nice for a hike in the gear but absolute bastard indoors.
              My place actually feels colder inside if thats possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Don't we need some form of regulation and enforcement so that baddies that are shut out of traditional systems\markets can't exploit crypto for their own illicit ends?
                Yes, well...it just so happens we all agree who the baddies are this time. The concern is about who the next baddies are.
                Which is pretty much the point of decentralization to start with.

Comment

I'm not finding it so cold . Collected the kids from after school yesterday in Sunshine. A bit fresh but totally normal for early March.

whilst on the subject.
                  Anyone watch Against the Ice on Netflix. Very enjoyable movie.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I think the underlying message is don't have your assests on the exchange, use a wallet.
                    Which is day 1 crypto advice anyway
                    Under the principle that you are 'due a lucky break' i'm buying what you are buying . Hit me.

Comment

In other news Vogue stubbed her big toe this morning on one of Theodores toys. She issued a brave statement from her hospital bed that she is recovering well from the trauma and not to worry.

Comment

I was on recently recommending the Yellowstone prequel 1883 after a promising start. Scratch that recommendation from the record. Unravels and becomes annoying in the second half.
                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Started a new job today.

Probably the only person in the world who took a downlift in the last 2 years.

Now to work on an uplift.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

WWN . Truck rear ended by Russian Embassy

Comment

Gmail letting in some amount of spam the last week are they getting smarter ?
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Brits gonna Brit. They really are the pits.

UK home secretary Priti Patel rang justice minister over UK concerns on Ukraine refugees getting to Britain from Ireland

Comment

Brits gonna Brit. They really are the pits.
                                  In fairness, they just announced they're going to cease imports of Russian oil by the end of this year so not all bad. On immigration, Brexiters gonna Brexit.

Would imagine this is co-ordinated with lots of other countries.

Comment

In fairness, they just announced they're going to cease imports of Russian oil by the end of this year so not all bad. On immigration, Brexiters gonna Brexit.

Would imagine this is co-ordinated with lots of other countries.
                                    Oh they do the sanctions bit well. Its just the human empathy part they consistently fail at. Even trying to limit our national humanitarian efforts, like wtf.

Comment

Oh they do the sanctions bit well. Its just the human empathy part they consistently fail at. Even trying to limit our national humanitarian efforts, like wtf.
                                      Why would you be surprised? It's entirely consistent with their entire immigration approach since Brexit.

Comment

They're demanding an apology...

Comment

Buying a fridge from Samsung directly as the local shop is €120+ more expensive and won't budge on price. The delivery company rang me and tell me they can only dump the 120kg pallet on my driveway. Samsung's local fulfilment partner says the courier isn't permitted to enter a building . Would have been nice to know this before making a purchase.

Imagine being an elderly customer or having mobilities issues and ending up with that pallet outside your door?

Comment

Why would you be surprised? It's entirely consistent with their entire immigration approach since Brexit.
                                            oh i know! As my kids say to me occasionally: we're not surprised, we're just disappointed.

Comment

I know a few of you are into chef competitions. Not many of you, Mellor I seem to remember as one, but we're a dying fanbase. I was watching Tournament of Champions recently hosted by the world's youngest haircut on the world's most middle-aged man - Guy Fieri - and its really rather great.

Comment

Get your questions in for the Cheltenham Preview Evening. GAB has promised* to provide each one with a detailed answer.

*he has done no such thing and I will probably make up the answers

Comment

That was a brutal traumatic experience, the tooth had to come out 8 doses of lidocaine failed to numb one side and the other only barely so I basically had a monster molar pulled without anesthetic.
                                                  It took about 30 minutes of poking and pulling and there is still one small bit of root that won't come out.
                                                  Pain killers starting to kick in now but fuck me that was a rough couple of days.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                    Buying a fridge from Samsung directly as the local shop is €120+ more expensive and won't budge on price. The delivery company rang me and tell me they can only dump the 120kg pallet on my driveway. Samsung's local fulfilment partner says the courier isn't permitted to enter a building . Would have been nice to know this before making a purchase.

Imagine being an elderly customer or having mobilities issues and ending up with that pallet outside your door?
                                                    I was in that business many years ago and we always delivered and installed leaving everything working even washing machines plumbed. It would bug me no end when you'd see people drive to Dublin to save a fiver and then inevitably when something goes wrong or the fuck up installing themselves they would call in to me and try to pretend that they had bought it from us.

Comment

"Dear Cheltenham Expert," writes Ms Y of Cavan Town, "who is going to be the leading jockey at this year's Festival?"

Excellent question Ms Y!

The answer is 'Jack Kennedy'. You're most welcome.

Comment

Experiencing a bit of the public sector tendering clusterfuck at the moment. Trying to book flights and they have to be done through a system. They must get paid on commission, as the flight I had in mind is currently 90-minutes direct each way for a total cost of €150. They have instead come back with six hours and multiple stops each way for a whopping €700.

We've had things like €10 cables costing €100 in the past.

Comment

Experiencing a bit of the public sector tendering clusterfuck at the moment. Trying to book flights and they have to be done through a system. They must get paid on commission, as the flight I had in mind is currently 90-minutes direct each way for a total cost of €150. They have instead come back with six hours and multiple stops each way for a whopping €700.

We've had things like €10 cables costing €100 in the past.
                                                          You will be delighted to hear we get this in the private sector too.

I have to book all business travel and accomodation through some third party provider who will probably be very familiar to most. Hint; it rhymes with Crap.

Typically you'll be going to some client site for a couple of days. The flight bit is usually OK but then you will helpfully offered some hotel that (a) costs a ludicrous amount but is on our corporate program and (b), is located approximately 10,000km from the place you need to be. Luckily a colleague of mine showed me a hack that means you can basically book whatever you want and override their suggestions but I have seen people literally tearing their hair out as their notions of booking a simple overnight trip to London get cruelly dashed.

Comment

I read two wonderful books set in India recently, in preparation for a holiday there.

Even though neither concerns food directly, food plays a huge part in the writing, the way they write about food is amazing, they're difficult to read whilst fasting!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              That was a brutal traumatic experience, the tooth had to come out 8 doses of lidocaine failed to numb one side and the other only barely so I basically had a monster molar pulled without anesthetic.
                                                              It took about 30 minutes of poking and pulling and there is still one small bit of root that won't come out.
                                                              Pain killers starting to kick in now but fuck me that was a rough couple of days.
                                                              Ouch, presume it's ok to leave that bit in is it?

Had the dentist hit a sore spot recently and by Jesus never felt pain like it. Normally fairly stoic but this was full body convulsion, making him stop. Think he was a bit offended so now nervous about going back.

Comment

Jesus, Poland basically just transferred the entire fighter wing of its air force to Ukraine.

MIG-29s, whatever they are. The US will then give Poland nice shiny new replacement toys.

That might even things up a little. And the US is asking all other NATO members (presumably the other ex-Soviet Bloc ones) that have the same aircraft to hand them over too.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                  Started a new job today.

Probably the only person in the world who took a downlift in the last 2 years.

Now to work on an uplift.
                                                                  Congrats.

Give us the deets on moving for less money if you can. Less of a commute? Less hours? More sociable hours? Better potential in new job? Etc etc. I'm always interested to hear about peoples reasons for moving jobs for less money.

I've done it myself before because I valued my time and weekends more than the premium I was being paid to work evenings and weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Ouch, presume it's ok to leave that bit in is it?

Had the dentist hit a sore spot recently and by Jesus never felt pain like it. Normally fairly stoic but this was full body convulsion, making him stop. Think he was a bit offended so now nervous about going back.
                                                                    He said it shouldn't be a problem, there's lots of people with broken roots sitting in their heads, but if it becomes one we'll deal with it then. I may not be as gung ho about getting an implant to replace it as I was expecting to be. I've always been difficult to get numb usually needing a double dose, maybe it was because I've had a few doses recently or maybe because of all the inflammation and pain that went with the cracked tooth but today was incredible.

Comment

Jesus, Poland basically just transferred the entire fighter wing of its air force to Ukraine.

MIG-29s, whatever they are. The US will then give Poland nice shiny new replacement toys.

That might even things up a little. And the US is asking all other NATO members (presumably the other ex-Soviet Bloc ones) that have the same aircraft to hand them over too.
                                                                      Is it possible that Vlad is angling for an all out war with NATO?

Comment

The Ukraine war is now really about how to manage Putin's ego

Comment

He can't even handle one ground war with a vastly inferior force.

In short, the answer is 'we had better fucking hope not' because that'll be the end of everything forever.

Comment

Seems like that to me. Though I suppose he'll just nuke a few places to kick things off. Only hope really is that the missiles he inherited are pure dogshit and barely take off.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Gudjaysus and ye say im watching too many movies for claiming Putin will get it in the neck . What movie are ye watching . Armageddon

Comment

gulp

Economists expect Europe's economy to suffer as a result. Barclays analysts have slashed their eurozone growth forecast for this year by 1.7 percentage points to 2.4%. Private consumption, investment and exports are all expected to grow at a slower pace across the continent.

At the same time, the prices of energy and other commodities such as wheat and metals are rising fast. Barclays has upped its 2022 eurozone inflation forecast by 1.9 percentage points to 5.6%.
                                                                                3.2% drop in purchasing power across Europe. Thats very fucking catastrophic given how bad the previous two years were.

Ireland is a bit separated from all this, given we exist in a bit of a multinational bubble. But not by much, and not everyone, and not for long as we share the same economic existence with the common currency.

I really don't know how we keep this up as a continent. The previous devasting European financial crisis only ended about 8 years before corona started. It's not normal to have crises this close together that hammer the common person so badly.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Seems like that to me. Though I suppose he'll just nuke a few places to kick things off. Only hope really is that the missiles he inherited are pure dogshit and barely take off.
                                                                                  And why do you think this?

I know I'm firmly in the 'he's lost his grip on reality and is making terrible decisions' camp but I don't quite think he's in the 'let's end all living organisms on the entire planet' territory.

The nuclear option can only ever be a bluff.

Unless...

EB19990711REVIEWS08907110301AR.jpg

Comment

Speaking of movies . Conspiracy looney i know reckons ET will step in and is watching the nuclear threats with interest.

Read The Paradox of Chimps recently. Interesting slant on a much mused subject

Comment

I know I'm firmly in the 'he's lost his grip on reality and is making terrible decisions' camp but I don't quite think he's in the 'let's end all living organisms on the entire planet' territory.
                                                                                      Ah I'm still in shock form his history lecture from 2 weeks ago. That and the distancing himself from everyone, which looks like it's more out of fear than anything else, though it may have been brought on by covid precautions. Really don't think he's that bothered about the planet or anything that is on it.
                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

gulp

3.2% drop in purchasing power across Europe. Thats very fucking catastrophic given how bad the previous two years were.

Ireland is a bit separated from all this, given we exist in a bit of a multinational bubble. But not by much, and not everyone, and not for long as we share the same economic existence with the common currency.

I really don't know how we keep this up as a continent. The previous devasting European financial crisis only ended about 8 years before corona started. It's not normal to have crises this close together that hammer the common person so badly.
                                                                                        Isn't it becoming clear that Europe is underperforming the world. In many respects. When will we restart a nuclear power programme. When will we realise there is a balance between regulation and entrepreneurship - when will we balance freedom against rules better. particularly business freedom. Yes there is a leadership crisis everywhere in polotics..... we seem to have no end of mediocre and some extremists. Is the MEP model working? Doesn't seem so - and we have some extreme examples contributed.

The Euro loses more purchasing power the last 2 weeks and a small bounce today but still well below $1.10 - Glad I don't convert my poker dollars back. Lower rate good for our technical accounting economy but bad for people. RANT.......

Comment

9 days since I started getting symptoms and I'm still testing positive. Cough is still fairly bad and fatigue is still there. Pain in the hoop with it at this stage.

Mrs Lao Lao on the other hand, only tested positive Friday morning and is already testing negative. She's feeling a lot better than me although her smell and taste hasn't come back yet.

Comment

“Everything is terrible and now you have to get the bus.”

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The nuclear option can only ever be a bluff.

Unless...

EB19990711REVIEWS08907110301AR.jpg
                                                                                                Unless he's dying of cancer and he's happy to go out all guns blazing.

God i hope not.

PS:I'm firmly in your camp and he's lost /losing the plot at this stage

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Isn't it becoming clear that Europe is underperforming the world.
                                                                                                  Pah, stuff and nonsense. Sure aren't we creating the biggest refugee crisis since WW2? All European-made.

Comment

gulp

Think I'm in favour of ending this as quickly as possible which basically means squeaky bum conflict time and this latest move is probably as close as we will go other than sneaking a few pilots across the border (little blue men)
                                                                                                    Longer it goes on it becomes a game of who can bear the pain and Russias pain could be considerably eased with a Chinese partner.
                                                                                                    Think of it in a year or 18 months hence with protests over energy/food prices and new political parties feeding that anger.Actually just next Winter 7 months.
                                                                                                    Ukraine will be more or less "subdued" but inflicting damage through insurgency.
                                                                                                    The Wests solidarity will have waned, politics and expediency/self interest will take over and a bad deal will be struck which wont be worth the paper etc. Hes a liar and a war monger and is intent on restoring the glorious empire and that appeasement will only delay further expansion funded by a new energy market (and better weapon systems provided by China)
                                                                                                    Ultimately some deal will have to be done to end this so hit as hard as we can right now and force a proper negotiation while we have strong will and most likely the upper hand.
                                                                                                    The sanctions are good but a military bloody bloody nose to really give the fucker pause. Little blue men hmmm.
                                                                                                    However timing is important. Enough time for sanctions to hurt badly, for troop morale to evaporate but not enough time for solid deals with China (which may already exist for all I know)

Anyway faaaaack it.

"Shoot im now Lyle, shoot him now" (Solks will definitely get this ref)

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                      9 days since I started getting symptoms and I'm still testing positive. Cough is still fairly bad and fatigue is still there. Pain in the hoop with it at this stage.

Mrs Lao Lao on the other hand, only tested positive Friday morning and is already testing negative. She's feeling a lot better than me although her smell and taste hasn't come back yet.
                                                                                                      Having spent the guts of 2 hours in Bruxelles last Friday pinned to about 50 different peoples faces over that time Im fully expecting to be riddled this week but no sign yet.

Comment

More cats and dogs air lifted from Kabul than Ukranians admitted to the UK.

It's still all about Brexit

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 08-03-22, 22:56.

Comment

Better Call Saul Season 6 starting April 18th!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

pinned to about 50 different peoples faces over that time.
                                                                                                            Sounds like fun

Comment

Has anyone tried an amazing steak with chimichurri sauce in Dublin? Maybe not in some fancy place where you need to sit down for a few hours, but some hole-in-the-wall type place? I've tried it in Alma, and great stuff, but I feel the way US people talk about the steak-chimichurri combination, it could be even better.

And maybe slightly related to that, and completely unrelated to having just watched a 90-minute show with Guy Fieri, are there any class Deep South restaurants in Dublin? Not really the BBQ places like Bison Bar (that smoky flavour that is the main flavour of BBQ gets old quickly imo), but more somewhere where an elderly black lady three hundred pounds overweight will ladle stuff onto a plate and mutter disapprovingly if you get up from your table without consuming at least 5,000 calories. 'you won't grow up into a proper boy unless you eat your grits' she'll have as her parting shot, as you tumble out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Congrats.

Give us the deets on moving for less money if you can. Less of a commute? Less hours? More sociable hours? Better potential in new job? Etc etc. I'm always interested to hear about peoples reasons for moving jobs for less money.

I've done it myself before because I valued my time and weekends more than the premium I was being paid to work evenings and weekends.
                                                                                                                I think it was a 20% downlift overall.
                                                                                                                and I definitely wont get to work less hours, more than likely more since it’s a start up.

but:

1. I hated my old job. Claustrophobic, command and control executive/ CSuite which made my job very hard. So I decided to optimize for fulfillment and progression not a paycheck.

2. A large investor in the new place, and a board member is my old CEO. We meet every week anyway to discuss life, business and opportunity and he already sold one company he founded for a billion so it’s good to hang around winners.

3. Managed to negotiate my stock options to be way below current funding close. So I’m in the money their already. Although don’t vest for 12 months.

4. My immediate boss is someone I want to work for. We see things very similarly.

5. I have gotten the green light to use all of the current companies start up resources for my own two start ups. Basically means I can work without hiding on my own stuff, use their contacts and resources to further my own stuff. They are very aware it might mean I leave sooner than later but it also means that I’m very suited to the role.

Obv the pay cut is a kick in the balls given the last year but fuck it man. It’s really not all about cash and I think I’ll make cash no matter what I do. Self belief not arrogance.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I think it was a 20% downlift overall.
                                                                                                                  and I definitely wont get to work less hours, more than likely more since it’s a start up.

but:

1. I hated my old job. Claustrophobic, command and control executive/ CSuite which made my job very hard. So I decided to optimize for fulfillment and progression not a paycheck.

2. A large investor in the new place, and a board member is my old CEO. We meet every week anyway to discuss life, business and opportunity and he already sold one company he founded for a billion so it’s good to hang around winners.

3. Managed to negotiate my stock options to be way below current funding close. So I’m in the money their already. Although don’t vest for 12 months.

4. My immediate boss is someone I want to work for. We see things very similarly.

5. I have gotten the green light to use all of the current companies start up resources for my own two start ups. Basically means I can work without hiding on my own stuff, use their contacts and resources to further my own stuff. They are very aware it might mean I leave sooner than later but it also means that I’m very suited to the role.

Obv the pay cut is a kick in the balls given the last year but fuck it man. It’s really not all about cash and I think I’ll make cash no matter what I do. Self belief not arrogance.
                                                                                                                  this is +EV IMO well done

Comment

Hope is not a strat. But I hope you are right

Will likely mean a lot less golf this summer but might mean a lot more golf lifetime.

Comment

I work in a shop

Comment

Has anyone tried an amazing steak with chimichurri sauce in Dublin? Maybe not in some fancy place where you need to sit down for a few hours, but some hole-in-the-wall type place? I've tried it in Alma, and great stuff, but I feel the way US people talk about the steak-chimichurri combination, it could be even better.

And maybe slightly related to that, and completely unrelated to having just watched a 90-minute show with Guy Fieri, are there any class Deep South restaurants in Dublin? Not really the BBQ places like Bison Bar (that smoky flavour that is the main flavour of BBQ gets old quickly imo), but more somewhere where an elderly black lady three hundred pounds overweight will ladle stuff onto a plate and mutter disapprovingly if you get up from your table without consuming at least 5,000 calories. 'you won't grow up into a proper boy unless you eat your grits' she'll have as her parting shot, as you tumble out the door.
                                                                                                                        Tante zoes filled that hole.
                                                                                                                        Sadly gone now

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I work in a shop
                                                                                                                          I sell shitters

Used be a great chat up line back in the day to weed out the non-craic women.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X