This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    That Sue Gray report must have got lost in the post...Boris clearly desperate to get to the weekend.
    Odds on shenanigans must be 1/10 at this stage.

There's no way No 10 hasn't had this thing for at least 3 days by now. Suspect it must be worse than they thought and they're working out how to spin it and trying to drag it out over several news cycles while furiously hoping Vlad presses the button for maximum distraction.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

All horsey loots in & paid out. GG.

Comment

Wordle 223 X/6,

⬜⬜

Comment

The regular posting of wordle results is becoming really fucking annoying, I am sure it is just a passing fad, but the sooner it ends, the better...
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Wouldn't expect the boxercise bit to be that controversial. If you do 1000s of jabs, crosses and hooks into the air at the local Flyefit, they'll start to look decent. You'll find a rhythm.
            But if you've never practiced the application that "boxing" on a person who was trying to a)avoid you, and b) punch you back, you probably little progress in terms of practical ability.
            I see that as the fundamental difference between Boxing Fitness classes and actual Boxing training. I think a lot of eastern martial arts have devolved in the Fitness category (some were maybe always there).

I agree kata's have a purpose. Movement, timing, balance, co-ordination. All important skills. But those skills should be applied in sparring, against resistance. I think the styles that only do kata/skills are severely limited in application. To the point that some of the skills start to drift from what is actually effective, as there is nothing to keep them in check.

As an example, this kind of complete nonsense

2,179 likes, 182 comments - mcdojolife on January 27, 2022: "Stacking bodies ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @killcliff (Makes your drink hole..."

9,549 likes, 1,186 comments - mcdojolife on December 19, 2021: "Name this technique ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @knuckle_sammys 20% off code:..."

Partners that a total compliant are probably the really common issue is most/all dojos of a certain style. But the above instragram page is pretty eye opening for the nonsense that people are peddling. No touch knockdowns, chi/energy attacks. I find that level of compliance really boggling. what are people thinking while they are assisting these Grandmaster Sensei. It's cult levels of group delusion.
            TKD definitely exists and works are a full contact style. But you are correct that the vast majority is the useless flappy legs variety (as a result of the light touch rules). It just encourages poor martial ability imo. The perfect example being the gold medal DQ in last years olympics. Guy lunges in, with a sloppy haymaker, unprotected face, and gets knocked out. Ref judges the kick too hard and guy on the mat gets up to a gold medal (he absolutely played it up too).

BJJ is definitely not the be all. There are aspects that exist purely due to the sports meta, with no real application. Similar to TKD, if you train purely for sports, you'll have holes. As does any grappling that pretends strikes don't exist. But it's very easy to solve that. Put on some gloves and allow you partner to punch. You'll quickly figure out what works and how to adapt.

You might be surprised to know that Ireland actually had a traditional grappling for thousands of years. Most likely it was older than Hurling. Tailteann Games/Cúchulainn era stuff. Right up to the 1800s. It developed independently into a jacket wrestling style like Judo or Sambo. It made it's way to America and was pretty popular. George Washington being a famous practitioner. It seems to have died out in Ireland with the famine, and in America shortly after gave way to Catch-wrestling. A bit of a shame.

I did TKD for years (ITF style which is more like kickboxing than the Olympic WTF style) and was pretty good but you would never mistake it for the ability to do anything beyond make a fast exit in a real fighting situation. It was an enjoyable and skillful sport though if that's all you think of it as. I guess it's a bit like admiring target shooters in the Olympics without saying they'd be shit in a war

Comment

Had one yesterday in the shop.
              Woman comes to counter with a book and a sheet of wrapping paper (most likely wanting it wrapped as its a service we offer). I'm getting ready to take for the items and she goes "I think the lady would be better" pointing to my co worker. I step aside and she takes over and does the wrapping.
              My co worker was scandalised on my behalf "that was so incredibly rude etc"
              At the time I was slightly discomfitted rising to moderately discomfitted by my colleagues outrage.

Sigh ...
              I sometimes miss double barreling the Coo with the lone Ace (good enough to fold)

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

I have Currency ac if you want to give me a shout
                Pm'd cheers
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                  The regular posting of wordle results is becoming really fucking annoying, I am sure it is just a passing fad, but the sooner it ends, the better...
                  Wordle Wankers
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I A--r-
                    A-r-e
                    A-ree
                    Agree

Feck a PAR .

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                      Wordle 223 X/6,

⬜⬜
                      Got it on the last attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Got it on the last attempt.
                        I had

XXXYX
                        XXXZX
                        XXXSX

last three guesses missed. 75% shot

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                          Woman comes to counter with a book and a sheet of wrapping paper (most likely wanting it wrapped as its a service we offer). I'm getting ready to take for the items and she goes "I think the lady would be better" pointing to my co worker. I step aside and she takes over and does the wrapping.
                          At the time I was slightly discomfitted rising to moderately discomfitted by my colleagues outrage.
                          Surely you complimented the customer on her wise choice?

Comment

@RD3

Wish I'd thought of that line!

Comment

Surely you complimented the customer on her wise choice?
                              Should have asked her when her husband would be coming to pay for it.

Comment

If your co worker was loyal she should have gone full Steve Martin on it -> Ruphrect.

Comment

WP DP, WP.
                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Par today

Comment

Next level play from the college would have been to do an absolute hatchet job on the wrapping, ending with “sorry, I’m no good at wrapping, only came over to get change of a fifty”

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                        If your co worker was loyal she should have gone full Steve Martin on it -> Ruphrect.
                                        Ha brilliant, love that film "Excuse me, may I go the bathroom" lol

She said she thought of taking for it and then asking me to wrap but bottled it!

Maybe I should I go on Twitter and get the customer cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I did TKD for years (ITF style which is more like kickboxing than the Olympic WTF style) and was pretty good but you would never mistake it for the ability to do anything beyond make a fast exit in a real fighting situation. It was an enjoyable and skillful sport though if that's all you think of it as. I guess it's a bit like admiring target shooters in the Olympics without saying they'd be shit in a war
                                          Absolutely. At the elite level is highly competitive, like any sport. So the skills are taken as far as possible. (Perhaps not at heavyweight).
                                          If people present it in honest terms as the sport, it’s all hunky. The issue for me with martial arts generally is the amount of dishonest representation. Generally less of an issue for sports focused styles. Mainly the “too deadly for sport” lunatics. I’m honest sure if it’s worse if they are con men, or genuinely believe it.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Pm'd cheers
                                              Replied

Comment

Absolutely. At the elite level is highly competitive, like any sport. So the skills are taken as far as possible. (Perhaps not at heavyweight).
                                                If people present it in honest terms as the sport, it’s all hunky. The issue for me with martial arts generally is the amount of dishonest representation. Generally less of an issue for sports focused styles. Mainly the “too deadly for sport” lunatics. I’m honest sure if it’s worse if they are con men, or genuinely believe it.

Spoilering as it might not be as amusing if ya werent present.

SPOILER
                                                funny story about a friend of mine. We were just teenagers and doing Shotokan and enjoying it, we played rugby/Sprugby at the end of Thursday training with a sponge ball that got very heated but was great fun . More injuries in that than doing the free style sparring (btw if anyone can remember the name something like comitiee I’d be grateful ) . Anyway, for some reason that I can’t recall we went to Drimnagh boxing club which housed a Kempo class back then. So we went as guests and my mate was sparring with a young kid, he was supposed to do a combo but not connect . The idiot managed to hit the kid in the face. (Oh oh) The instructor then selected him for sparring with him next bout. So he spend the sparring bout blocking kicks and punches . Afterwards he was shaking from the adrenaline
                                                However I thought he did brilliantly the instructor didn’t land too many on him and seemed suitably impressed. My mate was morto after hitting the kid so I arranged with the kid that we’d jump on him when he was doing his forms (kempo boys called Katas forms in there) So with two of us holding him down and the kid sitting on him to administer some low power punces for revenge my mate was pretending, oh no , ok I submit etc. The Kid suddenly grabbed him by the nose and started twisting it. The screams, he cracked it a bit and my mate turned into a buckaroo . When he got up his nose was flooding blood . I was a bit shocked I guess but I really couldn’t get over the comedic sight of the kid grabbing his nose like that , I literally fell down crying laughing as the blood was being mopped up.

Comment

Sigh ...
                                                  I sometimes miss double barreling the Coo with the lone Ace (good enough to fold)

All fun and games until Dave calls you down with a pair of 2's to scoop.

Comment

I'd say 99.99% con men

Comment

Spoilering as it might not be as amusing if ya werent present.

SPOILER
                                                      funny story about a friend of mine. We were just teenagers and doing Shotokan and enjoying it, we played rugby/Sprugby at the end of Thursday training with a sponge ball that got very heated but was great fun . More injuries in that than doing the free style sparring (btw if anyone can remember the name something like comitiee I’d be grateful ) . Anyway, for some reason that I can’t recall we went to Drimnagh boxing club which housed a Kempo class back then. So we went as guests and my mate was sparring with a young kid, he was supposed to do a combo but not connect . The idiot managed to hit the kid in the face. (Oh oh) The instructor then selected him for sparring with him next bout. So he spend the sparring bout blocking kicks and punches . Afterwards he was shaking from the adrenaline
                                                      However I thought he did brilliantly the instructor didn’t land too many on him and seemed suitably impressed. My mate was morto after hitting the kid so I arranged with the kid that we’d jump on him when he was doing his forms (kempo boys called Katas forms in there) So with two of us holding him down and the kid sitting on him to administer some low power punces for revenge my mate was pretending, oh no , ok I submit etc. The Kid suddenly grabbed him by the nose and started twisting it. The screams, he cracked it a bit and my mate turned into a buckaroo . When he got up his nose was flooding blood . I was a bit shocked I guess but I really couldn’t get over the comedic sight of the kid grabbing his nose like that , I literally fell down crying laughing as the blood was being mopped up.

If it was Driminagh Castle, I know who the instructor is and can probably guess the kid
                                                      Kumite is the word you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

All fun and games until Dave calls you down with a pair of 2's to scoop.
                                                        Dont bluff the stations...good rule of thumb in the Fitz was not to try and bluff anyone called Pat

The great thing about the 50 omaha game was there were so many flop inspectors!

Comment

I refuse to google what 'sprugby' is, but can imagine it involves doing a bit of spring cleaning of the digout when you get a timeout.
                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Dont bluff the stations...good rule of thumb in the Fitz was not to try and bluff anyone called Pat

The great thing about the 50 omaha game was there were so many flop inspectors!
                                                            When our friend Pat (not Vickers) stopped coming in about 2009, that was when the 50 game died. That was a great game, and the death of that game was probably the main reason I stopped playing poker in general.

Comment

If it was Driminagh Castle, I know who the instructor is and can probably guess the kid
                                                              Kumite is the word you are looking for
                                                              Drimnagh Boxing Club. On Keeper Road . Was a guest visit .
                                                              Drimnagh Castle on Long Mile road ?

Ah kumite thanks . Been a long time . My learning to count to ten in Japanese never impressed anyone which was biggest disappointment from the whole shebang.

Comment

Rejoice! Looking forward to introducing my kids to this seminal piece of cinematic genius that's about to hit our screens again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Replied
                                                                  Thanks a million for that

Comment

I'd say 99.99% con men
                                                                    I dunno. I can believe that are that many shitty people out there. Some students are blissfully ignorant, others simply don’t care. But the part I can’t get my head around are the guys who are willing going along with the con man at the top. Talking about the extreme level nonsense.

The gentle touch…..of death!! ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @freezesleeve (Col...

2,610 likes, 212 comments - mcdojolife on January 12, 2022: "Brush your shoulders off ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @killcliff (Makes your drink..."

Comment

Wasn't Taekwondo designed to knock someone off a horse? Not a bad martial art to take up in Tallaght.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                        Wasn't Taekwondo designed to knock someone off a horse? Not a bad martial art to take up in Tallaght.
                                                                        English Teacher in School in tallaght.

Well kids what is the opposite of fast?

Johner - Slow

Very good now what is the opposite to Sad

Anto - Happy.

Vero good. Now this is tricky. What is the opposite to woe ?

SPOILER
                                                                        johner -GIDDY UP

Comment

I dunno. I can believe that are that many shitty people out there. Some students are blissfully ignorant, others simply don’t care. But the part I can’t get my head around are the guys who are willing going along with the con man at the top. Talking about the extreme level nonsense.

The gentle touch…..of death!! ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @freezesleeve (Col...

2,610 likes, 212 comments - mcdojolife on January 12, 2022: "Brush your shoulders off ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @killcliff (Makes your drink..."

Those videos are amazing. Also the % of martial arts self-defense situations that start with a wrist grab vs the % of real self-defense situations that start with a wrist grab

Comment

Those videos are amazing. Also the % of martial arts self-defense situations that start with a wrist grab vs the % of real self-defense situations that start with a wrist grab

Loads of these on youtube. Good craic

Comment

Is the book of bobba felt worth watching?

Comment

Is the book of bobba felt worth watching?
                                                                                Sadly, I think not.
                                                                                This week's ep is by far the best one and he's not in it

Comment

Loads of these on youtube. Good craic

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face . Or get your ear botten off. Eh Mike

Comment

Sadly, I think not.
                                                                                    its no The Tourist.

Had to give it up after two episodes.

Comment

Had a great dining experience last Friday that I'm about to experience again tonight from Nunki Tea House.

Does anyone remember from the Anthony Bourdain book where he talked about the proper Sichuan Pepper dishes that numb your tongue in a way that chilli doesn't, and creates this strange eating sensation that's ultimately highly rewarding. Well, I've been trying to track that down for ages and finally Nunki came good. Its a weird, subtle, but deeply rewarding experience. I highly recommend seeking it out just to see what you think. As a week has passed by, I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating it, so hopefully tonight will confirm.

Comment

Sadly, I think not.
                                                                                        Can’t believe the woman in it is 58 tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Had a great dining experience last Friday that I'm about to experience again tonight from Nunki Tea House.

Does anyone remember from the Anthony Bourdain book where he talked about the proper Sichuan Pepper dishes that numb your tongue in a way that chilli doesn't, and creates this strange eating sensation that's ultimately highly rewarding. Well, I've been trying to track that down for ages and finally Nunki came good. Its a weird, subtle, but deeply rewarding experience. I highly recommend seeking it out just to see what you think. As a week has passed by, I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating it, so hopefully tonight will confirm.
                                                                                          Cool, my mother lives in DL so I'll bring her

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Cool, my mother lives in DL so I'll bring her
                                                                                            ask for the following dish. "numb your mums tung"

Comment

yes! I think the last time I found it in a restaurant was a few years back but quite a different dimension of 'hot'.

Unfortunately it requires the ingestion of much cold beer to ameliorate its impact.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                                Fundalk Friday

Wonder Spirit 5.00
                                                                                                Crystal Dawn. 7.00

from 2 different sources
                                                                                                Running around
                                                                                                With a man on your back
                                                                                                Like a train in the night, yeah
                                                                                                Like a train in the night ...

Comment

Running around
                                                                                                  With a man on your back
                                                                                                  Like a train in the night, yeah
                                                                                                  Like a train in the night ...
                                                                                                  I will chance Slade Runner in the last

Comment

6star on a roll with the thread titling. Or DP.

Comment

6star on a roll with the thread titling. Or DP.
                                                                                                      The Hitch/Putin one has to have been the shortest ever.
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Any ideas for a pre Gate bit of din dins? Not Mr Fox as it's booked out, and preferably somewhat more budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                          Any ideas for a pre Gate bit of din dins? Not Mr Fox as it's booked out, and preferably somewhat more budget.
                                                                                                          Hop House - Korean. 30 seconds walk.

Comment

Hop House - Korean. 30 seconds walk.
                                                                                                            That looks the biz. Have you been there before?

Comment

Pho Viet on Parnell street. Now called Pho Kim I believe. Directly across the road from the Gate

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Pho Viet on Parnell street. Now called Pho Kim I believe. Directly across the road from the Gate
                                                                                                                For other vietnamese aobaba on capel street is cheap and amazing

kimchi hophouse is great and weird, pint of Guinness and some sushi.

Comment

Exact wording of a letter home from school today:

That's the type of shite that just ain't in the parenting manual.
                                                                                                                  At least he had the good grace not to indulge in whataboutery

Orlando went like clockwork. Daughter really enjoyed golf academy and wants to go back ASAP. Hhhummmm....

Mad place. 50% of all radio and billboard ads are for lawyers.

Disney World is not far off it. It's a massive area, like a mini county with it's own laws, police, transport system etc. Loads of adults of all ages dressed in Micky regalia with no kids in sight. Disturbing. Later I found out "Disney Adults" are a real thing. I do like a bit of a sleezy underbelly. Gives a city charterer. None of it here. Like some social leaf blower is keeping the place wholesome and "magical". Will probably do Vegas for next US golf trip. A better type of fakery.

Looking for documentaries you say? Watched this on the way home on the plane. Absolutely beautiful. The music and performances are so powerful, some astounding (Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples). Blacktivism is nothing new. It's anger, hurt, resolve and hope are brilliantly conveyed by the choice of acts in the movie. The whitey moon landing counterpoint is clever.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Before dinner
                                                                                                                    Only copping now what you meant.

I meant that I had to stay up until midnight to do Wordle

Only just put the Eamokoftas onto the BBQ btw.

Kid's on a different bleedin timezone.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That looks the biz. Have you been there before?
                                                                                                                      Many times. Solid Korean grub. Bibimbaps!

Comment

Kimchi Hophouse is great. I finally appreciated why people go mad for Katsu Chicken curry after trying it there, whereas normally it tastes like a dodgy chippers curry ripoff, but the bibimbaps, as Raoul says, is top of the pops.

Comment

scarleh for the warmongers

President Volodymyr Zelensky has called on the West to avoid creating "panic" in the face of the Russian troop build-up on Ukraine's border.

"We don't need this panic," Mr Zelensky told a news conference with foreign media today.

He pointed to the need to "stabilise" Ukraine's already battered economy as he insisted he saw no greater threat now than during a similar massing of Russian troops last spring.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X