Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tourist is turning into such an epic series.

qkf5ZUdl.jpg
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I suspect my bet with Raoul (pubs to shut for two weeks in January) is as dead as omicron was meant to be, but which let me down badly in its lack of serious side effects. In fairness, the pubs were effectively closed, but effectively closed probably isn't good enough for the rules sticklers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Installed the Ring doorbell today. My god its a beautiful thing. You get a video call if anyone rings your doorbell and can chat to them, no matter where you are.

The second thing installed today was a hub for managing all the radiators. We have an electric only house, so the radiators are the main cost, but are all connected to a power hub. Its highly delightful going through the app - clicking on a room and deciding e.g. that my son was a bit of a prick today, so down to 16 degrees he goes. The power is something else.

We ran an unbelievable 140 kwh a day for the last week. At 16cents per kwh, that's €22 a day, with VAT it might be closer to €25 a day (I suspect 16 cents is the rate before VAT). Fuck! A run rate of about €750 a month. Mein gott in himmel. With the new radiator plan that shifts during the day, and the few hundred milimeters of rockwool insulation I added to the attic today (there was essentially no insulation up there, apart from a thin strip), I'm hoping this will now dramatically drop. Still going to cost a fortune though, so we'll have to get solar panels in as soon as we can afford. They could end up paying for themselves in a few years. And switch out the back windows of the house as a priority, as there are all single glaze. Someone said the walls of these houses are thin and you lose loads out the walls, but there's not much can be done about that at the moment, as I don't think external insulation is all that cheap.
        If you get a BER consultant out they'll tell you where the best bang for the buck is. Almost certainly they will recommend external insulation ahead of solar panels which just aren't good value in Ireland until you've exhausted everything else. Don't forget you can get an SEIA grant for all this stuff. In fact I think you have to get the BER consultant signoff to get the grant.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

If you get a BER consultant out they'll tell you where the best bang for the buck is. Almost certainly they will recommend external insulation ahead of solar panels which just aren't good value in Ireland until you've exhausted everything else. Don't forget you can get an SEIA grant for all this stuff. In fact I think you have to get the BER consultant signoff to get the grant.
          Dont pay him in advance!

Comment

Yeah, this.

We had an energy consultant guy audit the house and have a full list of specs now integrated into the architectural plans.

The one thing you learn is to start with airtightness. No point having anything else untill your house is essentially airtight - i.e. insulation. Below ground, on the walls, your windows, your doors, your attic.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Still don't seehow you could be spending that much on electricity without running a KGB disinformation server farm. Our bill for Nov/Dec was €215.

Comment

Bob Saget dead at 65

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Still don't seehow you could be spending that much on electricity without running a KGB disinformation server farm. Our bill for Nov/Dec was €215.
                  We are at €185 a month with zero insulation. (Combined electricity and gas)
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Novax ruining my Monday morning, the bollix.

As far as I can make out, he had a positive PCR test on the 16-Dec and this is what he claims entitles him to a visa i.e. he had covid within the last 6 months.

BUT then he was pictured out and about in Belgrade at all kinds of social events from the 17-Dec onwards.

So either:
                    1. he's lying and didn't have Covid at all OR
                    2. he did have covid and completely ignored all health guidelines

Either way, surely 'being a fuckwit' is sufficient grounds to deport him immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

We are at €185 a month with zero insulation. (Combined electricity and gas)
                      Lazare's neighbour presumably running a cable into HH's gaff.

Comment

I suspect my bet with Raoul (pubs to shut for two weeks in January) is as dead as omicron was meant to be, but which let me down badly in its lack of serious side effects. In fairness, the pubs were effectively closed, but effectively closed probably isn't good enough for the rules sticklers.
                        Given I spent most of the day on Saturday in a pub, I can confirm they are effectively open.

Comment

Given I spent most of the day on Saturday in a pub, I can confirm they are effectively open.
                          Do people think restrictions will be lifted in time for Endgame at the Gate? Or will they get rid of the 8 o'clock first and the 50% occupancy later.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Do people think restrictions will be lifted in time for Endgame at the Gate? Or will they get rid of the 8 o'clock first and the 50% occupancy later.
                            I couldn't see them being lifted by then, (unless the case numbers and hospitalizations collapse dramatically in the next 2 weeks)?

I have 'Easter' in my head as a tentative quasi-normality date. I see the head of the WHO was saying similar as well.

Comment

Installed the Ring doorbell today. My god its a beautiful thing. You get a video call if anyone rings your doorbell and can chat to them, no matter where you are.

The second thing installed today was a hub for managing all the radiators. We have an electric only house, so the radiators are the main cost, but are all connected to a power hub. Its highly delightful going through the app - clicking on a room and deciding e.g. that my son was a bit of a prick today, so down to 16 degrees he goes. The power is something else.

We ran an unbelievable 140 kwh a day for the last week. At 16cents per kwh, that's €22 a day, with VAT it might be closer to €25 a day (I suspect 16 cents is the rate before VAT). Fuck! A run rate of about €750 a month. Mein gott in himmel. With the new radiator plan that shifts during the day, and the few hundred milimeters of rockwool insulation I added to the attic today (there was essentially no insulation up there, apart from a thin strip), I'm hoping this will now dramatically drop. Still going to cost a fortune though, so we'll have to get solar panels in as soon as we can afford. They could end up paying for themselves in a few years. And switch out the back windows of the house as a priority, as there are all single glaze. Someone said the walls of these houses are thin and you lose loads out the walls, but there's not much can be done about that at the moment, as I don't think external insulation is all that cheap.
                              Which ring bell did you get. I'm getting one today in currys and was going for the 2nd gen at 99 euro as opposed to the one for 199 as there doesn't seem much difference.

Someone rang my doorbell at 2am Thursday night and I was shitting it as there would be nobody calling to my house at that hour. Peeped out bedroom window couldn't see anyone and didn't sleep a wink after.

So I deffo think the ring would be dead handy
                              Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                Kids wanted me to buy them a Disney movie, we buy them movies on Google play store every now and then.

HD version of it was €19.99 so I said fuck it and subbed to Disney + for the year instead.

I know of Dopesick, and Get Back, but what else is good on there?
                                A lot of good stuff under star.
                                And there's every fucking disney/star wars/marvel/nat geo thing you could think of shaking a stick at.
                                It's good value imo
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I'm expecting case numbers to collapse in the next few weeks. There will be huge amounts of immunity in the population. You heard it here first. Hospitalisations will lag 2-3 weeks ofc. I'm looking at Paddy's Day and thinking we won't get a parade but we might be able to have a session.
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

A lot of good stuff under star.
                                    And there's every fucking disney/star wars/marvel/nat geo thing you could think of shaking a stick at.
                                    It's good value imo
                                    Yeah i think i've paid 70 notes up top for the year the last two years. My 3 Siblings take a profile each and 4 houses get great use.
                                    One of the better value streaming services and getting more valuable as the kids get older.

Comment

I'm expecting case numbers to collapse in the next few weeks. There will be huge amounts of immunity in the population. You heard it here first. Hospitalisations will lag 2-3 weeks ofc. I'm looking at Paddy's Day and thinking we won't get a parade but we might be able to have a session.
                                      In for session
                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Which ring bell did you get. I'm getting one today in currys and was going for the 2nd gen at 99 euro as opposed to the one for 199 as there doesn't seem much difference.

Someone rang my doorbell at 2am Thursday night and I was shitting it as there would be nobody calling to my house at that hour. Peeped out bedroom window couldn't see anyone and didn't sleep a wink after.

Went for this one. Only cost £49, so not sure what those ones in Currys are. Can't see how there could be anything that is practically more advanced than that. Although maybe your cost includes the cost of the Echo Dot.

Comment

Was thinking that the boozers will be buzzing for Cheltenham but sure if it was this week it would be the case. In the Morgue Templeogue on the 28th. Might aswell have been at Leopardstown. The whole place roaring at the screens. In particular the Savills. It was great.

Place was closed for 5 days from the 29th

Comment

oh yeah, seems almost certain at this stage. Which is great. Last year, this time, was such a grim period.

Comment

Today's breakfast, the first day of the Prolon course, consisted of a nut bar, a spearmint tea, and an algae oil capsule. Suck it losers.

Feeling a bit peckish, even though I'd normally eat less on a morning. Must be psychological.

Lunch is tomato soup, crackers, and olives, and a tablet of some sort.

Today is the bonus day where you get a whopping 1250 calories. The real strain comes for the subsequent days where the calories drop to 750. Gulp.

The boxes are laid out so good though. It feels like you are unpacking a collection of goodies. Which each day having its own box and rather weird and fascinating things in them. If they could just add an extra 1500 calories per day, you'd never look elsewhere for food.

Comment

Was reminded of my colleagues in the previous place, who were predominantly Muslim, and their first few days of Ramadan. Crawling around the place mentally picturing food, as they adjusted to their new regimes. But then by the end of their fast, a month later or so, they were positively glowing and looked deeply refreshed.

Comment

Went for this one. Only cost £49, so not sure what those ones in Currys are. Can't see how there could be anything that is practically more advanced than that. Although maybe your cost includes the cost of the Echo Dot.

Ice no idea what the difference is tbh. This is the mid range one that I was going to get and think there is 3 euro subscription too but they all do that if you want it.
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

In for session
                                                    Class. Let's make it happen. If our government are too cautious we can have cans by the canal. Bring an umbrella.

Comment

Rent a gazebo sure

Comment

Music King round 5

theme is South America

for anyone wanting to vote on this, link is below. Rank the songs from your favorite to your least favorite

music king

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

I got one. I got it direct from the ring site, think it was €99 for that ring and the chime for the Gen2.
                                                          There's deals on all the time so worth checking
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was reminded of my colleagues in the previous place, who were predominantly Muslim, and their first few days of Ramadan. Crawling around the place mentally picturing food, as they adjusted to their new regimes. But then by the end of their fast, a month later or so, they were positively glowing and looked deeply refreshed.
                                                            When I was working night shifts in Sheffield I'd go for "lunch" about 10pm. During Ramadan there'd be a queue of lads outside the kebab shop, desperate for their first meal of the day. They always looked so grateful when their food arrived. Definitely something to be said for a little bit of deprivation. Seriously increases the enjoyment. I'll always remember my first pint the day the pubs reopened in 2020. It was glorious.

Comment

You hush up now with that crazy talk!

Feckers will expect me back to work...
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I got one. I got it direct from the ring site, think it was €99 for that ring and the chime for the Gen2.
                                                                There's deals on all the time so worth checking
                                                                We get a currys voucher up to 1k with work not free just pay monthly interest free. It's dead handy so I'll just get it there. Fancy a smeg kettle too.
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Today's breakfast, the first day of the Prolon course, consisted of a nut bar, a spearmint tea, and an algae oil capsule. Suck it losers.

Feeling a bit peckish, even though I'd normally eat less on a morning. Must be psychological.

Lunch is tomato soup, crackers, and olives, and a tablet of some sort.

Today is the bonus day where you get a whopping 1250 calories. The real strain comes for the subsequent days where the calories drop to 750. Gulp.

The boxes are laid out so good though. It feels like you are unpacking a collection of goodies. Which each day having its own box and rather weird and fascinating things in them. If they could just add an extra 1500 calories per day, you'd never look elsewhere for food.
                                                                  Edit to note the crackers turned out to be kale crackers. Kale.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                    Rent a gazebo sure
                                                                    I actually own a Gazebo. Remind me to get it down from the attic.

Comment

Do you want an unhappy bad diet or not

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                        Do you want an unhappy bad diet or not
                                                                        Kale seems a bit extreme by anyones standard. You can't promise crackers on a menu and then open the pack and its kale fucking crackers. There needs to be clear advance communication when kale is involved.

Comment

The specific 'not here' recommendation is Brother Hubbard. Awful awful food. They were once good, but obviously have no eye on the kitchen anymore.

I nearly cried at what they had done to the good name of shaksouka.

Brother Hubbard seems to always get mixed reviews - I've never had bad food there but Mrs Lao Lao isn't mad on it at all.

I'd definitely add The Woolen Mills to the 'not here' list. Ending up having brunch there on Sunday after our first two choices were a no go and it was close to where we needed to be just after brunch.

Safe to say, I wouldn't be going back. My Korean Chicken Burger was just 'Meh' but what they did to Mrs Lao Lao's Turkish Eggs would warrant bringing back corporal punishment.

Comment

One day I'll offer you crisps, perhaps much time will have elapsed and you'll have forgotten all this, and you're not gonna be happy

Comment

Everywhere sold out of the 99 euro one. Ended up with the 59 euro one which according to lad in shop does the exact same thing.
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Any interest in a 2022 celebrity deathpool?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Brother Hubbard seems to always get mixed reviews - I've never had bad food there but Mrs Lao Lao isn't mad on it at all.

I'd definitely add The Woolen Mills to the 'not here' list. Ending up having brunch there on Sunday after our first two choices were a no go and it was close to where we needed to be just after brunch.

Safe to say, I wouldn't be going back. My Korean Chicken Burger was just 'Meh' but what they did to Mrs Lao Lao's Turkish Eggs would warrant bringing back corporal punishment.

I've been to both those places somewhat recently and would have opposite opinion. Had class waffles bacon and eggs.Not even sure what I had in brother Hubbard but definitely felt let down.

Speaking of Korean chicken, Chimac is a poor version of what it was. Had gotten a couple of poor takeaways from there but thought it just wants travelling well, but ate in to confirm it's a bit shite now.

Aobaba on capel st has to be best bang for buck in town for some lunch these days
                                                                                  ​​​​​
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

I wouldn't judge anywhere based on their current output. Nearly every business in Ireland is having some kind of supply issues leading to quality problems. I blame Lao Lao.

Comment

Dermot Desmond's gaff. Fuck. Me.

Have decided I want to be a billionaire.
                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

He has two sub ground level floors. The - 2 floor, the basement, there's a swimming pool, gym and I assume jacuzzi sauna area. Now I've been in houses that have this, but this was on a scale I've never seen. Blown away. Massive ballroom size area, all marble and stone. The other end of it there's a really large room leading out to a sunken courtyard making it feel like ground level.

On the - 1 floor there's a really plush boardroom, thick pile red carpet, walnut walls with secret doors. This has 5m wide glazing overlooking the courtyard, so feels like it's an upstairs floor. Wine cellar on this floor too. That wasn't very big, but well kitted out with shelving. Red brick walls for the cellar vibe and this amazing fiery orange veined marble floor.

An apartment within the house spans those two subterranean floors, but again because of the sunken courtyard feels like ground and first floor.

Didn't get to see much of the ground floor and upstairs was off limits. Fuck me it was outrageous though.

Comment

let us know when you're having the billionaire home game

Comment

small wine cellar?

I'm out

Comment

let us know when you're having the billionaire home game
                                                                                              I thought the boardroom was a snooker room, it had that feel. Also because the window mullions were exactly 147mm. Given the level of detail gone into the design I was tipping my hat to that. Not the case though.

Would make a really stunning poker room.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                small wine cellar?

I'm out
                                                                                                Yeah, I was surprised at that. Relatively small I suppose. Smaller than a master bedroom in a 3 bed semi.

Maybe it's only one of a couple of cellars. For the good stuff.

Comment

Any interest in a 2022 celebrity deathpool?
                                                                                                  ...Set it up now... https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...ity-death-pool

...It was done here 8 years ago and got lots of interest...

Comment

Anyone else a bit bemused that you only got the gig for selling blinds to the underground parts of the house?!

Comment

In a previous life I would be in a dozen different homes a day, the most reliable way to understand who the people really are is to look at their books and into their fridge.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        In a previous life I would be in a dozen different homes a day, the most reliable way to understand who the people really are is to look at their books and into their fridge.
                                                                                                        and their beside locker

Comment

These days books are just for show so doesn't count anymore

Comment

and their beside locker
                                                                                                            and their dungeon

Comment

The missus had a book on role playing in our library . I raised my eyebrows amongst other things

Unfortunately it was a training manual.

Comment

I for 1 want to see anti vax scumbag villain play in the Aussie Open. Any tennis fans who think otherwise is odd .

Comment

Meaning no disrespect but to me (admittedly a person from the sticks) it sounds like you've spent a shit load of money on what we would consider a shed which needs a shit load more money to make it liveable in a financially prudent way.

Not an observation on you btw, just the absolute shitshow that is the Dublin property market.

You could probably build/buy three nice houses down here for what sounds like your outlay so far.

Comment

He can even expand into the Rugby pitches
                                                                                                                    over the back wall if the need arises.
                                                                                                                    Gave Belvo a bunch of cash in return for 50% ownership of grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Was thinking that the boozers will be buzzing for Cheltenham but sure if it was this week it would be the case. In the Morgue Templeogue on the 28th. Might aswell have been at Leopardstown. The whole place roaring at the screens. In particular the Savills. It was great.

Place was closed for 5 days from the 29th
                                                                                                                      From thinking of past Cheltenhams, an 8pm closure may be welcome

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

He can even expand into the Rugby pitches
                                                                                                                        over the back wall if the need arises.
                                                                                                                        Gave Belvo a bunch of cash in return for 50% ownership of grounds.
                                                                                                                        Yep, was reading about that earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                                          Anyone else a bit bemused that you only got the gig for selling blinds to the underground parts of the house?!
                                                                                                                          Ha, yeah. Seems to have other parts of the house sorted. Don't think he's happy with them so who knows. Ah, I'm not involved really in the client sale, the interior designer is my customer. Was on site today as it was all a bit too awkward for her.

He's not even bothering with the full automation capability, just wants a button on the wall to control them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X