Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking News: Scientists reveal Man Flu is worse than Omicron.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      I found it too much of a faff.
      Have you ever tried to clean a bean to cup machine ? There is considerably less faffing about than with any espresso machine I've ever used

FWIW I only use the bare machine and do it upside down from the instructions that way I can use a spoon to stir, but its an absolute piece of piss to get great coffee out of and so easy to keep clean.
      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 28-12-21, 15:44.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Have you ever tried to clean a bean to cup machine ? There is considerably less faffing about than with any espresso machine I've ever used

FWIW I only use the bare machine and do it upside down from the instructions that way I can use a spoon to stir, but its an absolute piece of piss to get great coffee out of and so easy to keep clean.
        There's zero faff with the Gaggia. Quick rinse of the filter and topping up the water. Tray in the dishwasher.

Although filling the water was a major faff for about 8 years, taking the tank out, filling it and trying to get it back in place, tubes all in the way.

After owning it 8 years I discovered it slides to the left for topping up in situ.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I never ever read instructions on stuff.

Comment

With the Aeropress do you mean?
            Yes, with the aeropress...you mentioned faffing about, there is a lot of shite associated with using that device, i was just being cynical...wouldn't be like me...
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Yes, with the aeropress...you mentioned faffing about, there is a lot of shite associated with using that device, i was just being cynical...wouldn't be like me...
              Haha, I did think you were serious.

I gave mine away to a colleague.

Comment

Anything decent coffee wise (that's not instant coffee) you have a choice of costly or less costly with more cleaning/fluting about. I'm the only coffee drinker at home and I don't have too many guests. So Aeropress does the job for me, as it's not too bad for cleaning (I changed to a re-usable stainless filter). I'm considering getting a small one for work as the machine there is absolute gack and well instant is instant.

Comment

Aussies do coffee the right way. Soupy, right temp, strong.

Canadians could not do it more wrong, watery lava.

We've got a serious piece of kit here in our De Longhi that the missus oul lad gave to us after he won it at a work thing. They are starting to make coffee machines like 747 flight decks.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

coillcam check your pms!
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

For the same reason we don't test for the winter flu or common cold. Positive tests are stopping people who aren't sick for going about their normal lives.

Widespread transmission, which we are experiencing right now, is no longer the problem it was because of vaccines, improved treatments and a dominant benign variant.
                      I don't get it? What's the reason we don't test people for the flu? [ is it not just as simple as - we don't have quick / cheap ones ? ]

I'm a bit unclear as to what the benefit is of not testing people. I would think that if there was a ridiculously cheap device that you could blow into at home on a workday morning which told you you had a Flu / Covid / Cold w/e, and that you used this information to make a decision about whether to travel to work / wear a mask to protect others from passing on your germs etc, that a fair chunk of people would do this?

I understand that we used to, until extremely recently, peer-pressure others into rocking into work coughing and spluttering all over the place, but would hope that the 'experiment' of WFH that has happened over the last 18 months means that this is all but dead, and people who are contagious but 'well enough to work' can do so from their own home without putting others needlessly at risk. Have we not trained ourselves better to think of 'the other' now with respect to these viruses?

Asymptomatic people (Positive Tests for people who aren't sick) are literally the exact group that we'd like to get a change from - they wouldn't have the cue above that is the 'cough' / 'runny nose' etc, and so would be more likely to rock into an office / bar / LUAS and pass on viruses to others.

I completely think / hope / believe that we will have to at some stage 'stop overthinking' about COVID-19 specifically - as it becomes endemic and we hopefully see it being a far more trivial impact on our day-to-day, but I would actually lean in the other direction - wouldn't it be excellent if you had a 30second process that you could do at home in 'flu season' / AN.Other / Next Pandemic which alerted you to the fact that you may be contagious and allowed you to make an informed choice of what to do with that info?

Theranos for Respitory Illness ish?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                        Aussies do coffee the right way. Soupy, right temp, strong.

Canadians could not do it more wrong, watery lava.

We've got a serious piece of kit here in our De Longhi that the missus oul lad gave to us after he won it at a work thing. They are starting to make coffee machines like 747 flight decks.
                        Herself saw a DeLonghi earlier. €800.

Thats what I've been telling her we prob need to spend at a minimum.

Comment

If we get ultra efficient through cheap tech at stopping the spread of less harmful corona viruses, the common cold, do we not run the risk of making it more virulent?

Immune systems need practise. It's why kids catching all manner of poxes in childcare is a good thing.

Comment

An expected 10+ year life span is only 80/year...sure that just over €1/week (dont check the maths).

This is how i justify a big spend.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Have started doing formal training with our GSD. She’s already quite obedient for me, little sassy with the missy but is well socialized. She sits, Downs, heels, leaves it, huddles, stays, waits and crates herself on command.

Dog training is something that is unbelievably Dunning Kruger. I got her to a really good point and was really happy with her and then I go and see an actually well trained dog and it’s astounding.

I kinda wanted to get her into some dog sports as she absolutely loves scent games, and she’s is a fiend for fetch so has a wicked work drive.

We are starting her off with just doubling down on her basics, she’s not great at general impulse control (arguably the most important thing)

I’m actually like a kid on Christmas. First games lesson later and I really can’t wait to get into it with her.

Comment

28th of December. Cravings for spicy food.

You could set your watch by it.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

We're on our second Gaggia Classic. Cost about 350-ish.

Got maybe ten years out of the first one. Clean it every couple of months. Don't use the frother ever as I just drink espressos at home and Mrs D3 runs it through as a long black.

Seems like a good workhorse machine although I'd say bean/grind choice is probably more important. Have had manky coffee served up out of 1k+ machines.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

An expected 10+ year life span is only 80/year...sure that just over €1/week (dont check the maths).

This is how i justify a big spend.
                                    Yeah me too. I remember shopping for tiles one time for the kitchen walls years ago and I saw these amazing glass mosaics that were about €200 a square metre.

Wife was like 'No fucking way'. We only needed 3 sq metres though, I used that argument and won her over. Had them for about 14 years. ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

We're on our second Gaggia Classic. Cost about 350-ish.

Got maybe ten years out of the first one. Clean it every couple of months. Don't use the frother ever as I just drink espressos at home and Mrs D3 runs it through as a long black.

Seems like a good workhorse machine although I'd say bean/grind choice is probably more important. Have had manky coffee served up out of 1k+ machines.
                                      They are workhorses, had our Gaggia Cubika 15 years.

Will look at other Gaggia options. Wife reckons she spent just shy of €500 on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        28th of December. Cravings for spicy food.

You could set your watch by it.
                                        Had a ton of Turkey left over so stripped it last night and made a curry for tonight's dinner.

Found a new curry method that's a game changer (for me, prob well known) using ideas from a pasta sauce recipe.

Sweat sliced onions for 30 - 40 mins dropping them first into ghee or veg oil /butter that you've sizzled some whole spices in first. Cardamon, cumin seeds, whole Garam Masala.

Get them looking like glass, then throw in a good mix of ground spices. Last night I used fennel, cumin, coriander, garam Masala, salt, MSG, Kashmiri chilli, red onion powder, garlic powder.

Mix that all up then let cool a bit before blending it up into a paste.

More oil/butter or Ghee, some cardamon and cinnamon sticks in to sizzle, a big lump of garlic & ginger paste, then your spicy onion paste.

Tins of tomatoes and water in then for me last night before adding the Turkey for 10 mins. You can add in big chunks of chicken breast at this point, marinated pref and let them slow cook in that sauce. Chicken will melt in your mouth then.

Comment

If we get ultra efficient through cheap tech at stopping the spread of less harmful corona viruses, the common cold, do we not run the risk of making it more virulent?
                                          Nope - reducing transmission => reduced opportunity for virus mutation / development. A virus can't 'react' to humans attempting to prevent it spreading.

Immune systems need practise. It's why kids catching all manner of poxes in childcare is a good thing.
                                          That's only due to the prevalence of those viruses in the day-to-day though. If they were far less likely to be exposed to the viruses (if people stayed at home / isolated to an extent when they themselves were contagious) then that ideal is no longer quite as important.

Comment

Emmet Did you make it to Scotland? Kind of assumed you did, and your pcr was negative.
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                              Nope - reducing transmission => reduced opportunity for virus mutation / development. A virus can't 'react' to humans attempting to prevent it spreading.

That's only due to the prevalence of those viruses in the day-to-day though. If they were far less likely to be exposed to the viruses (if people stayed at home / isolated to an extent when they themselves were contagious) then that ideal is no longer quite as important.
                                              Yep, viruses don't react, it's more our immune systems lose fitness/training/memory to ensure we experience it as mild.

Your second point does make sense though.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                Emmet Did you make it to Scotland? Kind of assumed you did, and your pcr was negative.
                                                yup, was on the 7:30am Christmas Eve ferry from Belfast. Mad dash was grand in the end. 2 days later than we could/should've been - but grateful that pals let us know that they were having symptoms and encouraged us to go for the test. Would've been a really really bad look to have arrived over here, and then 2/3 days later started coughing/tested positive. Or even if we'd gotten original ferry and only discovered from pals after we'd landed! Wouldn't have had a clue what we were supposed to do then.

Comment

Have watched every Everest documentary/film and despite testimony about the allure I still cant comprehend how being the 1300th person to climb it is worth you life and limb. I would like to visit base camp and meet some of these lunatics face to face. The brother is a mountain leader however if he threatens to climb it I might just break his leg . I call it an idiots challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                    Have watched every Everest documentary/film and despite testimony about the allure I still cant comprehend how being the 1300th person to climb it is worth you life and limb. I would like to visit base camp and meet some of these lunatics face to face. The brother is a mountain leader however if he threatens to climb it I might just break his leg . I call it an idiots challenge.
                                                    It would be 6015. Same ballpark though https://haexpeditions.com/advice/lis...rest-climbers/

Comment

It would be 6015. Same ballpark though https://haexpeditions.com/advice/lis...rest-climbers/
                                                      Yeah was watching a documentary on Netflix from back in the day. Guy died was about 1300th to scale it . All logic was stupidly ignored . Died on the way down.

Comment

Yeah was watching a documentary on Netflix from back in the day. Guy died was about 1300th to scale it . All logic was stupidly ignored . Died on the way down.
                                                        Haven't watched it yet, but heard good things about '14 Peaks' on Netflix. Don't think it's the same one.

Comment

Haven't watched it yet, but heard good things about '14 Peaks' on Netflix. Don't think it's the same one.
                                                          14 peaks a more recent one. It's amazing. Deffo watch it. That guy is a machine .

Comment

14 peaks a more recent one. It's amazing. Deffo watch it. That guy is a machine .
                                                            I'm 10 minutes in

Comment

Ralph Fiennes has a much better body of work than Willem Dafoe despite being 7 years his junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                Ralph Fiennes has a much better body of work than Willem Dafoe despite being 7 years his junior.
                                                                Very random comment, but give me dafoe's body of work any day. He did platoon, last temptation of christ and mississipi burning in 3 years. That's more than enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Very random comment, but give me dafoe's body of work any day. He did platoon, last temptation of christ and mississipi burning in 3 years. That's more than enough for me
                                                                  I actually watched Mississippi burning the other night, it's a solid four star film with a solid four star performance by Dafoe. I think its quite telling that one of the highlights of Dafoes career is just a good film. Don't get me wrong, i like him and I've enjoyed many of his films, but given his charisma and fame you would expect a better body of work

Comment

Watching The Talented Mr Ripley after a day trip to the spectacular Positano today, where a lot of the original novel is based. Its very good.
                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I actually watched Mississippi burning the other night, it's a solid four star film with a solid four star performance by Dafoe. I think its quite telling that one of the highlights of Dafoes career is just a good film. Don't get me wrong, i like him and I've enjoyed many of his films, but given his charisma and fame you would expect a better body of work
                                                                      that's because he's not really seen as a lead actor but as a brilliant supporting one, even though as a lead actor like in the last temptation of christ he was phenomenal. personally i find ralph fiennes quite one dimensional in a lot of his roles, regardless of whether he's done some great films (and he has). Overall, Dafoe's body of work is a lot more varied and interesting.

Comment

that's because he's not really seen as a lead actor but as a brilliant supporting one, even though as a lead actor like in the last temptation of christ he was phenomenal. personally i find ralph fiennes quite one dimensional in a lot of his roles, regardless of whether he's done some great films (and he has). Overall, Dafoe's body of work is a lot more varied and interesting.
                                                                        I'm not saying Fienes is a better actor, but his filmography is surprisingly good, and Dafoe is surprisingly bad. Looking through all his films Dafoe spends a lot of his time on kids movies like Spiderman, speed 2 and John Wick.

Interestingly they share the stage in both in two of their highest rating films - The Grand Budapest Hotel & The English Patient.

Comment

Would you recommend any Defoe films I might have missed? I'm planning to watch To Live and Die in LA soon (also the lighthouse is great!)

Comment

it’s over - confirmed
                                                                            only thing about it turning into the common cold is all the thick’s will be crowing about how “we said it was just a cold all along” but a small price to pay.
                                                                            now we just have to deal with the inevitable economic crash
                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Would you recommend any Defoe films I might have missed? I'm planning to watch To Live and Die in LA soon (also the lighthouse is great!)
                                                                              Mr Bean's Holiday
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

A few others not mentioned i enjoyed are (scrolling through his filmography so its in oldest to newest) :

Wild at heart
                                                                                Affliction
                                                                                Existenz
                                                                                American psycho
                                                                                The life aquatic with steve zissou
                                                                                The florida project

Comment

Tried to watch Dune last night, it did look visually amazing. Kids enjoyed the story but the sci-fi piece of my brain just doesn't exist.

Comment

Now watching King Richard with the dog.

Comment

A few others not mentioned i enjoyed are (scrolling through his filmography so its in oldest to newest) :

Wild at heart
                                                                                      Affliction
                                                                                      Existenz
                                                                                      American psycho
                                                                                      The life aquatic with steve zissou
                                                                                      The florida project

This is possibly the worst movie I've ever watched . (Half of)

Comment

This is possibly the worst movie I've ever watched . (Half of)
                                                                                        Yup , I come out in hives when I even see a trailer from a Wes Anderson movie. Self indulgent twee rubbish
                                                                                        used to live with an Anderson devotee who tried to convert me by repeatedly putting on Royal Tenenbaums one of the most overrated comedies ever
                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I thought Dune was excellent, one of the best sci-fi movies ever, and I've seen a lot - helps that I'm a big fan of the books but even so, it was spectacular.

Watched No Time To Die a few nights ago, was quite enjoyable, Craig's 2nd best Bond movie after the peerless Casino Royale I think. Ana De Armas is a real stunner, perfect Bond sidekick girl.

Comment

Sisters horse Keep the peace running 12.55 limerick
                                                                                            big price but told it might run into a place

also strumpstown 2.55 leopardstown

Comment

Body of evidence is Dafoe’s finest work
                                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Dafoe is brilliant in Shadow of the Vampire. His range is so much wider than Fiennes. He out acted wooden Ralph in The English Patient and would make a better Voldemort.

Oldman and Dafoe might be a decent shootout.

Comment

Oldman and Dafoe might make a decent shootout.

Comment

Oldman and Dafoe might make a decent shootout.
                                                                                                    Nonsense... Leon... Case closed
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                      The Boondock Saints is Dafoe’s finest work
                                                                                                      Fixed that for you.

Honestly can't even name a memorable Ralph Fiennes performance.
                                                                                                      QED movie rating bears no relation to actors performance.
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Defoe also underrated as a comedic actor

Comment

Given how rife covid is now I guess it is safe to assume that vaccines don't significantly reduce the spread. This is why kids are being vaccinated., to reduce the spread. I would be thinking twice about it if I were a parent of small children.

Comment

Given how rife covid is now I guess it is safe to assume that vaccines don't significantly reduce the spread. This is why kids are being vaccinated., to reduce the spread. I would be thinking twice about it if I were a parent of small children.
                                                                                                            why? What's the issue with kids getting vaccinated, I genuinely dont know, do they still get the MMR shot when young in Ireland?

Comment

I'd imagine the variants have a big impact on spread.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Fixed that for you.

Honestly can't even name a memorable Ralph Fiennes performance.
                                                                                                                QED movie rating bears no relation to actors performance.
                                                                                                                I thought he was really good in "The Dig".

Criminal on Netflix isnt the worst 90mins you will spend.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Fiennes was great in In Bruge

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                    Firmness was great in In Bruge
                                                                                                                    Must watch that again. Have enjoyed it more on each viewing so far, though it's been a while.

Comment

Regarding passing on the vaccine and using the stats I've seen on studies, not to state too much the obvious but before you can pass the virus on to someone else, you must first become infected. Vaccines reduce this massively, with efficacies between 60 and 90%.

Immunisation with either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine reduced the chance of onward virus transmission by 40-60% - 365,000 households studied in one study alone (bit lower for delta and with the need of boosters as protection wanes over time). Put the two together and a vaccinated person is between 76% and 96% less likely to infect another person than someone unvaccinated.

The issue then becomes one of variants reducing effectiveness and also people being confined in the same space as those affected, you will always get Covid in that scenario and Christmas is quite a bad time for that.
                                                                                                                      Also workplaces, over 70 staff in James' have got Covid in the last few days, increased viral load.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post

why? What's the issue with kids getting vaccinated, I genuinely dont know do they still get the MMR shot when young in Ireland?
                                                                                                                        It wouldn't bother me if my hypothetical kids were to get the vaccine, but to wombatmans point, why bother, it doesn't do anything for them and it doesn't stop the spread. The vaccine passes for hospitality are basically defunct too.

The MMR provides immunity if I'm not wrong?
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Withnail and I on at 00.45 C4 if anyones up that late (looking at you Micknail!)

Also Heyday The Mic Christopher Story on tonight (year behind me in school)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X