This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    I feel like there must be an optimal point to quit shows like that and just pretend it was cancelled in your head. Like the way they only made one Matrix movie even though it was ripe for a trilogy.
    The latter seasons of Dexter went completely off the rails after the brilliance that was S4.
    did give us some gems though

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The greatest later with Jules performance ever imo. 2014

Comment

Yeah, it's stunning. The singing into the sound hole bit is fantastic.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Yeah, it's stunning. The singing into the sound hole bit is fantastic.
          Right into the pick up. Clever but feckin hell the emotion in that part .

Comment

Dexter was good at the time but I wouldn't bother with it now. Have you seen Deadwood hitch?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I must have tried to watch The Expanse 3 or 4 times over the years but can never really get into it, hearing its very good though so might try again.
              Its both great and far too complex to keep watching. Far too many moments where you might mentally switch off and then a character is introduced with a vital backstory that grows over the seasons and you still can't quite work out who they are.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                Dexter was good at the time but I wouldn't bother with it now. Have you seen Deadwood hitch?
                Could never get into it for the very stupid reason of Ian McShane being too ingrained as Lovejoy.

Comment

The Exppanse is great.

Just watched "Only Murders In the Building", was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Could never get into it for the very stupid reason of Ian McShane being too ingrained as Lovejoy.
                    It's a bit like when you see any of the Friends characters in anything else. It just feels wrong.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Dexter starts brilliant, dips a bit, picks it up again midway (some great cameos and foils for Dexter) but then breaks the mehometer towards the end. Some of the recurring guest actors over the seasons are truly brilliantly cast - Jonathon Lithgow, Peter Weller (Robocop) and Mos Def off the top of my head.

I'll probably end up watching the new material eventually. Still have a soft spot for the show despite some awful writing in parts. Overall I'd still say it's well worth watching despite the shortcomings.

EDIT: in a somewhat similar vein of serial killers/suspense/thriller, Hannibal is a great watch. Mads Mikkelson completely embodies Lecter for me. Gillian Anderson, Hugh Dancy and Eddie Izzard also excellent. It does tail off a bit on the self indulgent avant garde route at the end though tbf. Loved it nonetheless.
                      Last edited by coillcam; 15-11-21, 18:19.

Comment

Comment

On the above point, not sure I know any students who still use Microsoft Office. Google Slides, Sheets, Docs exclusively. Mainly because of how stupid Microsoft is, but also because you can't realistically collaborate on Microsoft documents. Are you prepared for a whole generation of workers who you hire and on their first day in the job they need to puke into a bucket because you make them type of Microsoft Word, and then they start immediately planning their escape to that handy little startup down the road?

Comment

On the above point, not sure I know any students who still use Microsoft Office. Google Slides, Sheets, Docs exclusively. Mainly because of how stupid Microsoft is, but also because you can't realistically collaborate on Microsoft documents. Are you prepared for a whole generation of workers who you hire and on their first day in the job they need to puke into a bucket because you make them type of Microsoft Word, and then they start immediately planning their escape to that handy little startup down the road?
                            You're probably right on the future being Google docs, and I don't know why I'm defending Microsoft, but the tweet is an easy right click and image setting change (the default is a bit dumb though) and you can easily collaborate by sharing through a onedrive or SharePoint.
                            airport, lol

Comment

Azure, Office 365, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, Windows. All integrated in a great way. Evolving beautifully.
                              Total horse crap about poor collaboration. Your kids have been using the Microsoft for remote learning for the last two years. Microsoft will be all they know when they get to third level.
                              Comparing Google to Microsoft in the space is like comparing Linux to Windows for home computing.
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Any Netflix recommendations for something to watch with the Mrs over a few weeks, a quick scan landed on Peaky Blinders

Comment

Or there was only 6 seasons of Game Of Thrones for some reason. Mad they didn't make more, it was so good up to then.
                                  The screenwriters made the sensible decision to wait for the books to catch up and then base the final seasons from them.
                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                    Any Netflix recommendations for something to watch with the Mrs over a few weeks, a quick scan landed on Peaky Blinders
                                    Fargo
                                    The Good Place
                                    Stranger Things
                                    Midnight Mass
                                    Daredevil
                                    Mindhunter
                                    Narcos
                                    The Fall
                                    Lucifer
                                    Lupin
                                    Line of Duty

Loads and loads of loads of stuff
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Thats a terrible reason, he is now and will for all time be Al Swaregan, probably the greatest performance of a character on TV ever.

Solid all time top five TV show pick for anyone who has even a screed of taste. Lucky you who gets to enjoy it for the first time,
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's a bit like when you see any of the Friends characters in anything else. It just feels wrong.
                                        including Friends

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thats a terrible reason, he is now and will for all time be Al Swaregan, probably the greatest performance of a character on TV ever.

Solid all time top five TV show pick for anyone who has even a screed of taste. Lucky you who gets to enjoy it for the first time,
                                          Yeah it truly is an awesome show. That reminds me I never saw the film actually.

Also he's brilliant in Sexy Beast.

Comment

lol
                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I know I'll melt a few heads and cause a lot of eye rolls but Ted Lasso is surprisingly good and very easy to watch. The missus actually liked it more than me. I really resisted starting that one as I wasn't the biggest fan of the original sketch character. But it got a couple of recommendations and eventually we gave it a spin. Most importantly, Football is life!

Comment

Can also concur by saying Deadwood is really, really good.

Comment

Dark is the best show on Netflix, it's very complicated and requires your full attention but well worth the effort. Use the website they provide and of course watch subtitled rather than dubbed.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    Dark is the best show on Netflix, it's very complicated and requires your full attention but well worth the effort. Use the website they provide and of course watch subtitled rather than dubbed.
                                                    Even the Theme tune intrigues me.

I like Ragnarok.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Unlucky, great run.

I see Rigby is gone too. I am not sure how he exited but he did play this hand before his exit.

sb v bb. sb raises to 350. bb 3 bets to 950 (Rigby). sb makes it 3m to go. Rigby calls. Flop is A44. sb checks and Rigby bets 3m. sb folds and shows KK. Rigby tables the 3, 2 off

I think that pot made him chip leader of the entire thing at the time.
                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Azure, Office 365, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, Windows. All integrated in a great way. Evolving beautifully.
                                                        Total horse crap about poor collaboration. Your kids have been using the Microsoft for remote learning for the last two years. Microsoft will be all they know when they get to third level.
                                                        Comparing Google to Microsoft in the space is like comparing Linux to Windows for home computing.
                                                        Lols. Azure is horrible compared to AWS. Teams is a shit show compared to Zoom. Outlook - have you been drinking? Windows. Wtf. Office 365 days of pain every year. You are beyond redemption sir. This also is why the good students won't come work for shitty companies that think like this. Now no sensible student will allow a career decision to hinge on software, but it all adds up to signals of companies that don't quite get it.

The wife, in her new corporate job, thought it was a joke when someone mentioned to her that there is a dress code policy in the new company. All these things are signals to good potential employees to get the flock out of shittown. Dress code, no slack, not able to use docs for collaborating, pointless meetings which are largely minimised in scrum organisations, more than two layers of heirarchy, every good student now has decent exposure to that way of working and are silently mocking you when to propound the benefits of outlook.

Comment

Lols. Azure is horrible compared to AWS. Teams is a shit show compared to Zoom. Outlook - have you been drinking? Windows. Wtf. Office 365 days of pain every year. You are beyond redemption sir. This also is why the good students won't come work for shitty companies that think like this. Now no sensible student will allow a career decision to hinge on software, but it all adds up to signals of companies that don't quite get it.

The wife, in her new corporate job, thought it was a joke when someone mentioned to her that there is a dress code policy in the new company. All these things are signals to good potential employees to get the flock out of shittown. Dress code, no slack, not able to use docs for collaborating, pointless meetings which are largely minimised in scrum organisations, more than two layers of heirarchy, every good student now has decent exposure to that way of working and are silently mocking you when to propound the benefits of outlook.
                                                          Life must be wonderful in the Ivory Tower adorned with dreaming spires. I conceded you have identified the problem. The students are summarily cast out every few years not knowing shit from Shinola. If only something could be done about that.
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Fuck off. Easy to know you have never worked within this framework and just drink the Koolaid.

Comment

Lol academia truly is a fantasy land- good lol at the students not equipped to deal with the world of Microsoft products- the horror! Slack is just same old bollocks as teams just with a trendier rep
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Lol academia truly is a fantasy land- good lol at the students not equipped to deal with the world of Microsoft products- the horror! Slack is just same old bollocks as teams just with a trendier rep
                                                                Slack predates Teams

Comment

Slack is just IRC in the cloud
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Slack is just IRC in the cloud
                                                                    Lol and a Ferrari is just another version of the internal combustion engine. Cool man.

I always laugh at people who tell you the thing that gives you a good customer and user experience is somehow not good because you don't get it.
                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hitch is wrong about MS though. Its not that each piece of it is best in class, it doesn't need to be. Microsoft don't sell like Slack or Zoom do. They don't court your retail customers. They have an army of resellers and ingrained IT admins who are familiar and don't care about the fancy new thing if the function is acceptable.

And very wrong about Scrum. Plenty of pointless meetings in scrum. And even more wastage when you have a scrum/agile zealot, they might not waste as much time in meetings but by fuck do they waste time trying to convince everyone why scrum is the way.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Lol and a Ferrari is just another version of the internal combustion engine. Cool man.

I always laugh at people who tell you the thing that gives you a good customer and user experience is somehow not good because you don't get it.
                                                                        If someone doesn't get it, how is it good UX?

Comment

Slovakia, Czechia, Poland etc all spiking in similar way

But of you go further South, where the weather is still warmer, you don't see the same trends. France, Spain fairly flat and Italy starting to tick up.

I wonder if you chopped Italy up into North vs South, would the North be looking spikier as the weather turns colder. Suspect it would.

I further wonder is a big spike in US numbers (which have been falling for weeks) imminent?
                                                                          ugh, that^^ has gptten far worse since posted a week ago.

Can't see how everything remains open with the current trends. US starting to pick up again too.

This cycle won't be broken until everyone is either fully vaxxed, infected or dead.

Comment

I've seen fejoda, the Brazilian national dish, twice now in recent shows and it looks amazing. Does anyone know if the Benvindo fejoda is up to much? https://www.benvindo.ie/

Comment

Slack predates Teams
                                                                              I know but it’s the same shite- just another tool for micromanagers and people who think nobody should have any time off to bother people just “cooler” because tech companies use it more
                                                                              some sense of entitlement amongst the grads you are referencing though!
                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

How much would people working on the Irish Times app be paid? Whatever it is it’s too much
                                                                                they put up a number of weekly digest articles with links to other articles in it, anytime you click on one of those links it redirects you to the web browser page where you are not logged in so you get the subscribe to the IT sales pitch
                                                                                final straw for me cancelled have the added benefit that I won’t be putting money in mullaley, McWilliams and numerous other Gowls pockets - or have to read parish newsletter level missives from Sandyford

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  PSV, just discovered this, recorded two days ago. First I've heard of the new album live

​​​​​​
                                                                                  Yeah that hit spot- took me a few listens to get into new album but really loving it now- do miss some of the noodly interludes and outros from earlier albums - can’t wait to see live versions of a few of the other songs -KEXP session should be good

Comment

I know but it’s the same shite- just another tool for micromanagers and people who think nobody should have any time off to bother people just “cooler” because tech companies use it more
                                                                                    some sense of entitlement amongst the grads you are referencing though!
                                                                                    Transparency report on the above- I’ve never actually used slack but feel qualified to comment based on memes I’ve seen about it

Comment

Yeah that hit spot- took me a few listens to get into new album but really loving it now- do miss some of the noodly interludes and outros from earlier albums - can’t wait to see live versions of a few of the other songs -KEXP session should be good
                                                                                      I'm the exact same, had that experience with Deeper Understanding so I was prepared. Just listened to it over and over and then it just clicked. Love it.

Change is such a fucking great track, that piano bit coming in near the end almost had me crying when the song hit home.

I think the best music does that, grows into something amazing. Stuff that connects immediately can get stale over time, I can never tire of listening to WOD.

KEXP session will be great alight, hope Cheryl does this one.

Comment

I've seen fejoda, the Brazilian national dish, twice now in recent shows and it looks amazing. Does anyone know if the Benvindo fejoda is up to much? https://www.benvindo.ie/
                                                                                        A good feijoda is v nice. But what you really want is the national dish of Cuba, Ropa Vieja.

Packed with flavor, this ultimate Ropa Vieja recipe is simply the best! Beautiful colors, bold flavors, this is sure to become a favorite!

airport, lol

Comment

ugh, that^^ has gptten far worse since posted a week ago.

Can't see how everything remains open with the current trends. US starting to pick up again too.

This cycle won't be broken until everyone is either fully vaxxed, infected or dead.
                                                                                          ICU numbers are going up quite quickly again too. Hard to not see some restrictions being brought back in soon. Have heard 150 in ICU as panic stations in a few places. Hopefully it will just be reduced occupancy at indoor events, and not closures.

ICU 2021-11-16 .jpg
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It's feijoada (j is like sia in Asia) hitch and basically a Brazilian national treasure. I'm lucky eat plenty of it thanks to the missus. It's not difficult to make tbh but time consuming if you want to slow cook it properly. The main thing is to be able to get the correct meat which can be tricky but Brazilian shop usually have it. Cured/smoked meat from a Polish shop isn't a bad substitute. In a local boteca/cafe back in Brazil you'll get a pot of feijoada and enough sides to stuff four people for €10-12.

If you've any Brazilian mates, ask them to cook it for you sometime. You'll be absolutely stuffed heading home. Farofa is another Brazilian "secret" food and just goes well with everything, think of a very dry, grainy and savory stuffing. You'll typically get a load of it with feijoada or even just standard rice/beans. Coxinha (Co-shee-nya) is another great snack food that they do really well. Essentially a type chicken nugget/dumpling and is class with a few drops of hot sauce. Pastel - deep fried square pastry with loads of options - mince beef or cheese are usually most popular and again hot sauce is your best buddy here. They make amazing comfort food imo.

Regarding the place you're talking about, limited and entirely crap reviews on Tripadvisor. Though I've been to Fabis Grill when it was called Cafe Mineiro in Temple bar and can confirm their food is good if you're looking for a Brazilian experience. Get some Guarana (soft drink) with your meal and a couple of Brigadeiro (chocolate/condensed milk balls) to take away. You'll leave happy and ready to have a food coma. The only caveat is that space can be tight so avoid it during lunch or busy times.

Comment

Just chatting recently to the missus about the dangers of the e scooters , reckless abandon etc.

Serious incident in Herberton rd this morning. 3 fire brigades on the scene. E scooter involved I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

ICU numbers are going up quite quickly again too. Hard to not see some restrictions being brought back in soon. Have heard 150 in ICU as panic stations in a few places. Hopefully it will just be reduced occupancy at indoor events, and not closures.

ICU 2021-11-16 .jpg
                                                                                                It's bedlam in the local hospital at the moment. I was briefly on the local covid ward two weeks ago (family member passing away, they just happened to test positive for covid on the way out) and it was jammed. Grim stuff, all the patients hooked up to oxygen, machines etc and they look like ghouls. It was at full capacity at that stage. At the end of September my Grandad was in the same ward but only 1 of 2 patients at that time. Thankfully he's right as rain now. I don't think the ICU capacity was improved significantly in the last year but I'm open to correction. There will likely be some restrictions incoming but probably not as penal as previously due to vaccination numbers.

Comment

The public health experts were presenting 250 ICU cases as the best case last night. Looking at the spike and extrapolating forward from the case numbers, it's very hard to see how it won't be a lot more than that (unless somehow all the new infections get shrugged off by healthy people).

Fully expecting WFH to be the order of the day from Government once the full cabinet has met today.

A lockdown of the unvaxxed, Austria-style, and\or vaccine mandates by employers, US\France\Italy-style would be great but won't happen.

Comment

Peaky Blinders =Excellent
                                                                                                    House of Cards =THE BEST
                                                                                                    Mad Men
                                                                                                    The Sopranos
                                                                                                    The Wire
                                                                                                    Housewives of....take your pick ))))
                                                                                                    The Unforgotten -brilliant
                                                                                                    Line of Duty
                                                                                                    Last edited by The Istanbul; 16-11-21, 10:40.

Comment

The public health experts were presenting 250 ICU cases as the best case last night.
                                                                                                      I think they meant new admissions to ICU though, not the overall numbers in one. The total numbers take account of people being discharged to a regular ward, or dying.

Comment

So much fail here.

Firstly lol at students being the benchmark for anything. WPS suite is still popular with students. Because it's free. Google is also free. MS Office is not.

Word/Docs barely count as software. They are both basic as fuck. Barely a step above Notepad. It's for rolls of text, with the odd photo. If somebody can't jump from one to the other instantly something is wrong. Neither is really used for professional documents.
                                                                                                        Googlesheets is handy sharing for sharing spreadsheets online. But it's used for unimportant nonsense. Like a game of Sheep or Werewolf on were. Excel is still more widely used by a margin.
                                                                                                        Slides. LOL. anyone who starts a presentation with Powerpoint/Slides is confirmed to be a dinosaur. 50% chance they still use clip art and comic sans.

Google Docs allowing two people to edit a document was novelle a few years ago. But's nothing to do with the software being more "collaborative". It's due to it being cloud based and not limited by the OS. FYI Microsoft office can do that also. Just need to drag the file to a cloud location, Teams does that for example.
                                                                                                        Zoom and Teams are not comparable. Zoom is better for VC meetings. But that's all it does. Meetings are one elements of teams, but not the main one. Zoom is competing with Webex and one aspect of Teams. Teams is competing with email, chat, file sharing, calls, meetings, task planning.
                                                                                                        You post is the equivalent of saying mobile phones are useless because your digital camera takes better photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          Just chatting recently to the missus about the dangers of the e scooters , reckless abandon etc.

Serious incident in Herberton rd this morning. 3 fire brigades on the scene. E scooter involved I heard.
                                                                                                          Not surprising given the way they're being used.
                                                                                                          Had a lad bombing down a narrow footpath towards me on one doing a fair clip not a care in the world.
                                                                                                          I had a green light turning right on a huge junction..e scooter just comes straight through from my right breaking a red and doesnt even glance left.
                                                                                                          Dont know what regulations in place but from what I can see the people driving them havent even basic rudimentary rules of the road.
                                                                                                          Think if you're on the road in any capacity you need to prove that you know the rules.

Comment

I think they meant new admissions to ICU though, not the overall numbers in one. The total numbers take account of people being discharged to a regular ward, or dying.
                                                                                                            Hopefully. That would be good.

Interesting as well that the counties that now have the highest rates are predominately rural (as opposed to last year, when it was mainly urban).

Covid really is laughing at humanity.

Comment

Russian Dolls is very good.
                                                                                                              A kind of Sex and The City meets Groundhog Day hybrid, which may or may not sell it to you. Only 8 x 20 minute eps so not a huge commitment (and it does get resolved).

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Peaky Blinders =Excellent
                                                                                                                House of Cards =THE BEST
                                                                                                                Mad Men
                                                                                                                The Sopranos
                                                                                                                The Wire
                                                                                                                Housewives of....take your pick ))))
                                                                                                                The Unforgotten -brilliant
                                                                                                                Line of Duty
                                                                                                                Not convinced they are all on Netflix but will have a look

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Russian Dolls is very good.
                                                                                                                  A kind of Sex and The City meets Groundhog Day hybrid, which may or may not sell it to you. Only 8 x 20 minute eps so not a huge commitment (and it does get resolved).
                                                                                                                  Season 2 is getting made of that as well.

Comment

Hopefully. That would be good.

Interesting as well that the counties that now have the highest rates are predominately rural (as opposed to last year, when it was mainly urban).

Covid really is laughing at humanity.
                                                                                                                    Trying to find what they actually said, and it seems you were indeed correct. Best case scenario 250 in ICU, and worst case scenario 500 in ICU. I just don't believe they are even in the ball park.

Even from yesterday to today ICU occupancy went from 117 to 114, despite 6 admissions and 5 discharges, so 4 must have died for that to add up.

Comment

I'm making a list of all the Microsoft fanbois (in Google Sheets). Where did it all go wrong lads. Losing your hair, growing the belly out, loving Microsoft. And ye all had so much potential.

Comment

I'm making a list of all the Microsoft fanbois (in Google Sheets). Where did it all go wrong lads. Losing your hair, growing the belly out, loving Microsoft. And ye all had so much potential.
                                                                                                                        I might switch to Internet Explorer for the remainder of the day.

Comment

Midnight closing and WFH seem to be the two planks to the 'plan'. And boosters obv.

There seems to be a large element of wishful thinking involved.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X