This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    To be honest I've read a million hot takes from journalists on how the government is fucking things up and nothing praising them. It's only actual people who are occasionally praising the government. So given journalists are already fully occupied only criticizing the gov on whatever grounds (real sometimes, but often flimsy), the only way we'll get the increase in criticism you want is to hire more bitter journalists from the ranks of the unemployed.
    Huh.

Not getting into this with you. Perhaps we just disagree.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        I've no needle with you and not sure what would give you that impression. Cant have it both ways though. You either wanted a lockdown or didnt. No point complaining when you literally get what you were crying for.
        Well I changed my mind, is that OK with you?
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          The point of the Leo interview there was to disseminate today's new information.

I'd have been pissed off myself if it was a grilling session, 'why didn't you do this, why did you do that' and other boloxology.

People want to know the way forward. The interview served that purpose.

Oh what the fuck Lazare, even on that criteria it did not. Leo fumbling around in his pocket for a crumbled up piece of paper???? More than.once. No production from LL of a visual break down of the plan???? Come on lads.

FWIW I think the government have done lots of things really really well. This wasnt done well, at all .

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Comment

Jaysus folks,

Arguments about how to cook rice, the fucking late late show and changing our minds.

This fucking lock down has us fucked.

Have a drink

The only argument worth having is when the Premier League is declared null and void.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                  Oh what the fuck Lazare, even on that criteria it did not. Leo fumbling around in his pocket for a crumbled up piece of paper???? More than.once. No production from LL of a visual break down of the plan???? Come on lads.

FWIW I think the government have done lots of things really really well. This wasnt done well, at all .
                  I dont like defending politicians at all but it's a 23 page document. I'd give him a pass for the piece of paper cos I'd rather see him get it right and give us the info instead of guessing and leaving more uncertainty.

Comment

Perfectly reasonable imo. Such an emotive and difficult to digest time. People need to be given the latitude to do a complete U-turn without getting run down too much.

Comment

Been spending like a drunken sailor of late.
                      Tapping like Michael Flatley on cocaine.

Bought 2 bottles of wine and a few beers yesterday naively thinking
                      "That will get me through tonight and Friday at least"

I can just see myself applying for a mortgage and the questions from the bank

"So these deposits to Electraworks, are they a utility company?"

"Yes"

Really? Deposits at 1am,2am and 4.56am on the same night

"So I use a lot of electricity, fuck you, give me cheap money"

Loan approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Nothing to do with the announcement of the schools being off until September but I decided to inventory my remaining frog food stocks.

We have:
                        • 22 * Red Bordeaux (mostly good gear that requires the permission of the Chief Wine Buyer before opening)
                        • 6 * Red Burgundy
                        • 5 * other reds
                        • 1 bottle of De Toren Fusion V 2009 discovered down the back of the pile. The very last bottle of a stash bought from the winemaker himself in Johannesburg and smuggled home wrapped in towels robbed from the Johannesburg Hilton
                        • 6 * White Loire random bottles
                        • 6 * regional whites
                        • 6 * White Bordeaux
                        • 4 * White Alsace
                        • 4 * Picpoul de Pinet
                        • 5 bottles of sparkling, including 2 vintage Champagnes. Drinking one of those tomorrow.
                        • 2 bottles of dessert wine
                        • 2 sweet red wines (why, I have no idea)
                        • 3 bottles of cidre, bought from the fermier
                        • 1 bottle of tawny Port, donated by Lao Lao. Owe you something in return
                        • 13 individual tinned meals, mostly cassoulet or lentilles with Toulouse sausage
                        • 7 double portions of the same
                        • 3 jars of rillettes
                        • 1 jar of pate de dimanche
                        • 3 tins of duck in its own fat.

Will probably survive the weekend.
                        I have to say I'm equally fascinated and appalled in equal measure about the reverence tinned or jars of french food gets.
                        It's still factory processed gloop right?
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I feel personally embarrassed every time I hear Ireland's Call. Some going for a song I have nothing to do with to be that cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            I have to say I'm equally fascinated and appalled in equal measure about the reverence tinned or jars of french food gets.
                            It's still factory processed gloop right?
                            Have you eaten them though? Some kind of magic going on.

Comment

I dont like defending politicians at all but it's a 23 page document. I'd give him a pass for the piece of paper cos I'd rather see him get it right and give us the info instead of guessing and leaving more uncertainty.

Think that was for optics .
                              Look we have it all printed out here on this sheet.

OMG its printed out on a sheet well it must be true type thing
                              Last edited by dinekes; 01-05-20, 22:18. Reason: Jesus my spelling ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                I feel personally embarrassed every time I hear Ireland's Call. Some going for a song I have nothing to do with to be that cringe.
                                needs a techno beat IMO

Comment

Quoted Dobby by accident

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    I read that 37,000 of the claimed tests were just sent out to households, but not actually yet returned. It's a strange old logic, some would say an outright falsehood.
                                    They raced to hit a number (to save face) without having actually converting it into it a function - surveillance and interception of the virus. They haven't connected the dots to contact tracing capability etc.

Their collective ego just keeps digging a bigger hole.

As much as I despise aul Piers hes the worse, noisy cnut you want on your tail and he wont let up on them

Last edited by Fullof..It; 01-05-20, 22:32.

Comment

Love Dan

Complicated life

Pick soother up
                                      Put soother down

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                        Think that was for optics .
                                        Look we have it all printed out here on this sheet.

OMG its printed out on a sheet well it must be true type thing
                                        but it is true. I linked it in a tweet from Gavan Reilly above, the same stuff was on the sheet he was reading from. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Comment

Maybe a visual breakdown may have been good, but I don't think it was necessary. The format, like all LLS interviews is casual chat, simple questions that John and Mary in their cocooned living room are wondering.

I've no issue with the man checking his notes, in fact, I like that about him.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Btw, After Life 2 is magical TV.

Really great show, incredibly funny and heartbreaking in equal measure.

Comment

Btw, After Life 2 is magical TV.

Really great show, incredibly funny and heartbreaking in equal measure.
                                              I was just about to post how fucking awful I thought the second series was...lol.

Comment

but it is true. I linked it in a tweet from Gavan Reilly above, the same stuff was on the sheet he was reading from. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
                                                I meant to quote to jbravado

I agree with you

Gives viewers a sense that this is a solid thing, we have such a good plan we've had it printed.

I mean in terms if why he reached for the paper rather than doing it from memory.
                                                Last edited by dinekes; 01-05-20, 22:43. Reason: Clarification and no spelling mistakes I'll drink to that

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                  I was just about to post how fucking awful I thought the second series was...lol.
                                                  Have just watched 3 eps and love it. Some real lol moments.

The scene with his mate the sex worker eating his shit food was really good I thought.

Comment

Have just watched 3 eps and love it. Some real lol moments.

The scene with his mate the sex worker eating his shit food was really good I thought.
                                                    True enough. There are occasional good heartwarming bits. I won't spoiler by saying any more. All the stuff with the guy who played Dennis Pennis are some of the worst 'comedy' I've ever seen.

Comment

Yeah, that character can get in the bin in fairness.

Comment

I would like to ask where has the platform gone for actual journalistic enquiry in all this.

I'd like to ask why we the initial projections for death have been as far off as they are.

More so, I'd like those more knowledgable and impassioned than me to be given a platform to ask relevant questions and for us the generally sedated public to maybe spark into enquiry ourselves.

Should we expect more from the Late Late show than the tone and general flaccid and nauseating exchange there in this particular climate?

Fuck me. Yes. We should.
                                                        What questions would you be asking?

Comment

I'd like to ask why we the initial projections for death have been as far off as they are.
                                                          Which projections are they?
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Which projections are they?
                                                            15k dead by this time i think...everyone knew what exponential meant...
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

I haven't seen LLS but I would rather someone refer and stick to the script/plan built with positive intent than the winging it shite from other leaders.

It is a lot to take in in one go and will be a challenge to make sure it gets through to the public but hopefully Gov continues the effective communication they have done so far and break it up into digestible pieces by date/phase so it lands well

Comment

More than half the deaths have been in nursing homes, tell us the truth, how long did it take for that info to be public.

They could surely have handled that better from the very start, it was always going to be frail, vulnerable people that died from this, in the main.
                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                    15k dead by this time i think...everyone knew what exponential meant...

Am I missing something or is it still not clear that we could easily hit those numbers if we had not acted as we did?

Comment

I thought it was fine - there's a time and place for difficult questions both now and in the future. The Late Late Show isn't that place.

Questions about when the GAA might start back, pubs re-open, and when we can get a haircut are trivial in the bigger picture - but they are the sort of thing people are interested in and the LLS is a good vehicle for them to be asked on.

Comment

Am I missing something or is it still not clear that we could easily hit those numbers if we had not acted as we did?
                                                                        Nothing is clear. We have a deficit in deaths compared to a normal a year. It's an experiment where people are trying to draw conclusions after about 15% of the data has been taken.

Comment

More than half the deaths have been in nursing homes, tell us the truth, how long did it take for that info to be public.

They could surely have handled that better from the very start, it was always going to be frail, vulnerable people that died from this, in the main.
                                                                          Every country fucked this up (and still are) and would be top of the list of 'What would we do differently?'

In saying that, we had the benefit of time by looking at other countries but maybe with some much going on we missed the red flag (we still shouldn't have though)

Comment

Jaysus Other Voices really is class.

Comment

Take a deep breath and ...<snip>

Comment

specially selected mozzarella cheese bake tomato chutney and basil made for sharing (won't be sharing) in oven with cheese bread sticks for dipping ready.. Bottle of pinot noir. At 12.04 pm no wonder I'm fat!
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Didn't watch the LLS but isnt it great our leaders aren't suggesting us to Inject ourselves with dettol. We have higher standards

Comment

Well, we call out America as one of the worst and they hit 50 ? UK ?

Then again...not every country is counting the same, its very hard to quantify, I know nobody in Limerick has died of the virus, that's some stat ! Well, im only going on whats been reported.
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      Actually, when I think back on it, I spent a large portion of my summers as a kid throwing a ball against the wall and catching it on the return. The fact that the wall in question was highly uneven made the direction very unpredictable and turned me into a very good fielder. The challenge was always 100 clean catches in a row.

Makes me a bit sad not to see my own kids practicing motor skills in this way. But then you don't really see any kids doing stuff like this anymore.

I'm sure Hitch would have something cultish to say about this.
                                                                                      ...Mine used to be a bouncy ball from bottom of the stairs to the top of stairs off the wall and catch it... Also one had 55 accurate shots of flinging elastic across the bathroom to hit the target... Actually thinking back, I used to spend all of my childhood time sand papering wood and collecting it...

Comment

Actual language used from the interview, "did we miss a trick in the nursing homes"

If you think that's appropriate in tone, you can fuck off. I'll certainly be advising my parents in the strongest possible terms to continue to stay inside. Imagine you lost an elderly loved one and are watching that shite. No issue with going on the LL, understand it cant always be hardhiitng stuff, but where was the platform for actual media and journalists to ask questions?

I'm fucking amazed people are Ok with this, but seem to very much be in the minority.

Comment

specially selected mozzarella cheese bake tomato chutney and basil made for sharing (won't be sharing) in oven with cheese bread sticks for dipping ready.. Bottle of pinot noir. At 12.04 pm no wonder I'm fat!
                                                                                          Im +4kg which equates to +6kg fat - 2kg muscle. No gym till Aug is scaring me into action or famine

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                            Every country fucked this up (and still are) and would be top of the list of 'What would we do differently?'

In saying that, we had the benefit of time by looking at other countries but maybe with some much going on we missed the red flag (we still shouldn't have though)
                                                                                            Along with all the other red flags, not getting people to isolate after coming back from affected countries, cheltehnam etc...followers yet again rather than leaders.

Yeah...very easy for me, an armchair expert, but really, this stuff should have been basic disease control.

In the pubs by august 10 ? Again...tell the truth, we wont be doing anything of the sort till there is a vaccine.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

That sounds lovely and I definitely dont have the needle with you but its 12.04AM not PM I'm joking obvs, couldnt resist

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                We have a deficit in deaths compared to a normal a year.
                                                                                                Whats the source for that?

Comment

Pretty sure I posted some of this before but
                                                                                                  Clive Anderson talks to Norman House, who says he was snatched by aliens; football manager Alan Latchley; Judge Sir James Beauchamp; and rock god Eric Daley - all of whom bear an uncanny (but obviously coincidental) resemblance to the comedy legend Peter Cook.

Peter Cook doing 4 different characters on Clive Anderson

Including worlds greatest football manager!
                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 01-05-20, 23:17.

Comment

Im +4kg which equates to +6kg fat - 2kg muscle. No gym till Aug is scaring me into action or famine
                                                                                                    My 15 yr old putting me to shame off sugar day 16 I think. You tube exercises 3 times, a, day, 5 k walk 5 times, a week or cycle.

Weight falling off her and me munching shite into her face. Her birthday was 16th April and a friend left roses sweets, and her fav crisps at front door. They are sitting on top of fridge untouched.

Following some wan on you tube and rightly into it.

Fair play. she says mam why don't you do
                                                                                                    the no sugar. I will yeah I said, if you find me a sugarless alcoholic drink
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

It would be interesting to see a stat on nursing home deaths in both spain and italy, im sure governments shared this info.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                        Craft beer delivered and the dish of the week for dinner
                                                                                                        How did this go down?

Comment

My 15 yr old putting me to shame off sugar day 16 I think. You tube exercises 3 times, a, day, 5 k walk 5 times, a week or cycle.

Weight falling off her and me munching shite into her face. Her birthday was 16th April and a friend left roses sweets, and her fav crisps at front door. They are sitting on top of fridge untouched.

Untouched my hole!!

You've had sneaky few sweets admit it!!

Comment

Along with all the other red flags, not getting people to isolate after coming back from affected countries, cheltehnam etc...followers yet again rather than leaders.

Yeah...very easy for me, an armchair expert, but really, this stuff should have been basic disease control.

In the pubs by august 10 ? Again...tell the truth, we wont be doing anything of the sort till there is a vaccine.
                                                                                                            The piece I think we missed is the a basic risk assessment. Im not sure if the initial forum had a competent one or if it was called out but other factors overruled it.

I agree and watching it in real time the examples you mention where top of the list i observed. Ive seen the members of NPHET and think there were a few gaps in the broadness of expertise.

I dont want to start a public service bashing but some standard private sector, risk assessments, business disaster recovery/continuity plans would have added so much value into this.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                              Untouched my hole!!

You've had sneaky few sweets admit it!!
                                                                                                              Nope promise. Would never rob a child's birthday present. I can take pic but that requires pulling out laptop to upload and I'm far too lazy for that lol.
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Im not sure about your circumstances but my routine is everything to me and ultimate tool in managing weight. Im still working but the pre/post work routine is gone to shite with added 2/3 bottle each night while i digest the news.

Ill be doing up plan over the weekend and dusting of the weight lifting bands that came 3 weeks ago

Once i stop the exercising its so harder to be disciplined with the cals!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                  Pretty sure I posted some of this before but
                                                                                                                  Clive Anderson talks to Norman House, who says he was snatched by aliens; football manager Alan Latchley; Judge Sir James Beauchamp; and rock god Eric Daley - all of whom bear an uncanny (but obviously coincidental) resemblance to the comedy legend Peter Cook.

Peter Cook doing 4 different characters on Clive Anderson

Including worlds greatest football manager!
                                                                                                                  Cook was a genius . The Will the wind sketch in the SPB still has me in tears

Comment

It would be interesting to see a stat on nursing home deaths in both spain and italy, im sure governments shared this info.
                                                                                                                    Some numbers in these articles:

Also there was an interesting study posted in The New England Journal of Medecine that undertook widespread testing in a nursing facility in the US. It came to this conclusion:

Rapid and widespread transmission of SARS-CoV-2 was demonstrated in this skilled nursing facility. More than half of residents with positive test results were asymptomatic at the time of testing and most likely contributed to transmission. Infection-control strategies focused solely on symptomatic residents were not sufficient to prevent transmission after SARS-CoV-2 introduction into this facility.

The reality is that these homes were sitting ducks for such an infection. I believe the authorities focus was on acute hospital capacity and residential facilities took second place. I'm sure there will be an enquiry or tribunal into this at the end of the pandemic, not that such proceedings will provide much solace for those who have lost loved ones.

Comment

Crystal Swing 3rd album out damn missed it for Music King

Comment

The piece I think we missed is the a basic risk assessment. Im not sure if the initial forum had a competent one or if it was called out but other factors overruled it.

I agree and watching it in real time the examples you mention where top of the list i observed. Ive seen the members of NPHET and think there were a few gaps in the broadness of expertise.

I dont want to start a public service bashing but some standard private sector, risk assessments, business disaster recovery/continuity plans would have added so much value into this.
                                                                                                                        Around here the private nursing homes have been worst hit.

In hindsight it would have been good to have many shittons more PPE to hand and have been able to allocate medically trained personnel to all nursing homes. As far as I know no one else managed that any better than we did.

Comment

I think it's difficult to compare like with like on that. In Mediterranean countries there's more of a tradition of older people staying on with family in a house next door or apartment upstairs. 3 generations with their own apartment but in the same block.
                                                                                                                          The care-home isn't as common a thing as here.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X