Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a recommendation for a good landscaper/gardener in Dublin? I want to redo front and back garden over the next 6months but i've no clue as to the potential cost of it. any help welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
      Bit ott going to court over this lame twitter account https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ount-1.4241986

If they're any way clever at all they've set that up themselves.

Reminds me of the time my uncle, my Dad's brother put an ad in the herald for a position in his e-commerce business with 'smokers need not apply' in the ad.

My Dad rang Gerry Ryan to complain about it, saying he was very offended and felt discriminated against. Gerry Ryan ran with it, as did Joe Duffy and a load of national newspapers.

Uncle's website traffic was off the charts.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Key to a wok is to never wash it. You're just meant to wipe them down afterwards and let the 'character' build up. My Indonesian flatmate of a few years during the undergrad spent about six months grumbling about the lack of flavour from his wok after having to buy a new one.
        Its less about not washing than keeping them carbonised or blackened so that the surface can't become rusty.
        Once they are properly carbonised its fine to wash them in warm soapy wayer but you have to dry them immediately and then rub the cooking surface with a teaspoon of cooking oil before you store it away. none of it is worth a feck unless you have a huge gas ring to heat it. I have decent sized one on a hob but every time I think I should build a pizza oven or a BBQ I remind myself that what I really need is one of these lads.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, I have a nice big burner on the cooker. Excited about my new wok more than I likely should be.

Comment

Any tips for seasoning cast iron pans? Herself has destroyed one of mine, and it won't doesn't seem to take the seasoning again, have had a few goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              Any tips for seasoning cast iron pans? Herself has destroyed one of mine, and it won't doesn't seem to take the seasoning again, have had a few goes.
              Probably need to scrape the surface, wearing out a couple of brillo pads should do it and then start again.

I don't like cast iron pans anymore, more hassle than value IMO

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                Decided to stick with the Brazilian theme today and make Galinhada. Mainly due to having chicken that needed using and simple ingredients needed.

https://www.196flavors.com/brazil-galinhada/
                ffs I remember when beans on toast was too complicated for you

Looks nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
                  ffs I remember when beans on toast was too complicated for you

Looks nice!
                  Have a load of notions since leaving Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                    Anyone have a recommendation for a good landscaper/gardener in Dublin? I want to redo front and back garden over the next 6months but i've no clue as to the potential cost of it. any help welcome.
                    Asked a friend of mine who is a horticulturist if he had any recommendations. This was his reply.

The few I know would be garden maintenance/horticulture. If you were looking for hard landscaping, I have used this guy before and he did the garden of a lad I know. He was good but small sample size. http://mqlandscaping.com/ .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Just bounced a tennis ball off the wall and caught it 100 times in a row. That's how exciting my life is.

All set to rival this, if only there was cricket to be played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHKN7o94ku0
                      I often bounce a boncey ball off the wall beside my desk. Housemate asked me the other day if I could stop doing it as the sound was resonating through the walls or some shit. Literally worse off than lads in prison now.
                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                        I often bounce a boncey ball off the wall beside my desk. Housemate asked me the other day if I could stop doing it as the sound was resonating through the walls or some shit. Literally worse off than lads in prison now.
                        At least he asked, most would have chucked the ball out the window.
                        Do you have your ringtone on loud too?

Comment

Fillet beef with black bean and green pepper, egg fried rice.

I think one of the tastiest dishes I've ever cooked. First time doing egg fried rice. Very enjoyable way of cooking.

Treated that beef almost like prawns in terms of their place in the queue. Was a good decision.

Comment

Egg fried rice is a piece of piss. We use the microwavable rice. Works out perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              They must surely be running out of Roy Keane stories this lockdown.
                              Funny you should mention...

mainly Brian Clough but Roy Keane does feature
                              Paul O'Donnell talks about travelling with the Nottingham Forrest first team as a 15-year-old. After being welcomed by Roy Keane and Stuart Pearce, Paul witn...

Started watching some old matches over the last couple weeks. It's actually quite enjoyable. Memory (and YouTube clips) can be very misleading so it's easy misremember old teams/players and how good they really were.

Spending 90 minutes watching a match from 10 years ago could never be justified in normal circumstances so interesting to actually pick whatever era you want to be in. Feels like some sort of sim.

Anyway, Barca 5-0 Real in 2010 was an unbelievable watch. Probably Barca at their peak. They absolutely destroy a very good Real team. Honestly felt like watching peak football.
                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                Egg fried rice is a piece of piss. We use the microwavable rice. Works out perfect.
                                Get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                  At least he asked, most would have chucked the ball out the window.
                                  Do you have your ringtone on loud too?
                                  it's a concrete wall, not one of those flimsy internal walls. How was I supposed to know sound would travel through that
                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Any of ye mad enough to cook rice in a pot or do ye use rice cookers like sensible folk?
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                      Any of ye mad enough to cook rice in a pot or do ye use rice cookers like sensible folk?
                                      A pot. Have only in the last few months gotten the hang of it.

Comment

Doesn't seem work getting a device just for rice.

Usually do it in the instant pot now

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Find the instant pot more effort then it's worth for simple stuff as it takes an age to heat up. Only use it as a pressure cooker.

I've found out that using a pot to cook to rice is seen as odd by any person who grew up eating it as a staple of their diet but it's more convenient to use a pot so that's how I do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                            Funny you should mention...

mainly Brian Clough but Roy Keane does feature
                                            Paul O'Donnell talks about travelling with the Nottingham Forrest first team as a 15-year-old. After being welcomed by Roy Keane and Stuart Pearce, Paul witn...

Started watching some old matches over the last couple weeks. It's actually quite enjoyable. Memory (and YouTube clips) can be very misleading so it's easy misremember old teams/players and how good they really were.

Spending 90 minutes watching a match from 10 years ago could never be justified in normal circumstances so interesting to actually pick whatever era you want to be in. Feels like some sort of sim.

Anyway, Barca 5-0 Real in 2010 was an unbelievable watch. Probably Barca at their peak. They absolutely destroy a very good Real team. Honestly felt like watching peak football.
                                            Rewatching classic World Cup would be a good way to while away a lockdown, surprised no tv channel doing it , analysis and all would be lovely
                                            Think I’d go for US 94

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                Rewatching classic World Cup would be a good way to while away a lockdown, surprised no tv channel doing it , analysis and all would be lovely
                                                Think I’d go for US 94
                                                Be Italia '90 for me. Good idea as well.

Comment

Pot. Never heard of a rice cooker and wont ever need it. How hard is it to cook rice

Comment

Gemma O'Doherty getting attacked from all flavours of social media. The ol geebag deserves it fk mental health in this instance

Comment

Golf courses with restrictions getting opened up here (Alberta) from Monday. Dentists, physios etc too. That will be followed by restaurants/cafes at 50%, retail stores from May 14th.

Will be interesting to see how the infection rate looks in a few weeks.

Comment

Fuckin hell

Comment

Working on a paper with an Oxford professor at the moment and every time he emails me I think 'wow an Oxford professor is emailing me!'. It's a weird dynamic for a paper of equals.
                                                          Learning over the years that spoofing goes almost as far in academia as it does in the private sector. Worked with some people from top tier institutions over the years and its become clear that force of will and subsequent unwillingness to question the 'sage' gets people way further than they should go.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                              Pot. Never heard of a rice cooker and wont ever need it. How hard is it to cook rice
                                                              Rice is a cunt to get it spot on. Rice cooker is perfect rice Everytime with zero attention while you cook your actual meal. I've rice a few times a week most weeks.
                                                              Wouldn't have bought it under the same thoughts as you but I was given one and would replace straight away if it broke.
                                                              Plus the wee crispy bits on the bottom
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                Gemma O'Doherty getting attacked from all flavours of social media. The ol geebag deserves it fk mental health in this instance
                                                                So probably doesn't deserve it. She needs to be put on ignore and hope she gets help from someone that cares about her. Rather than retweeted for a "witty" slag so people can get their own retweets for the ol social media dopomine hit
                                                                Last edited by eamonhonda; 30-04-20, 22:54.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

That instant pot will be taking up room in your press in a few months with your George foreman and slow cooker, you're always gonna eat rice.
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Fuckin hell

Handmaid's Tale might not be so fictional after all. Not a that great leap from what we're seeing there.

Comment

So probably doesn't deserve it. She needs to be put on ignore and hope she gets help from someone that cares about her. Rather than retweeted for a "witty" slag so people can get their own retweets for the ol social media dopomine hit
                                                                      She'd stop if everyone stopped paying her attention

What's the story with John Waters? Always thought he was a numpty, but now he's going fully unhinged.

Comment

The key with rice is to fry it a small bit beforehand. Causes some reaction in the rice that massively enhances the flavour.
                                                                        Mostly cook basmati, found there's a few key elements.

A good rough rinse with your hands in a bowl of water to remove starch, pinching and squeezing it between your fingers until the water is white. Rinse and soak for 30 mins.

Ratios. About 160% water.

Good seal with pot lid. I use a sheet of tinfoil, press the lid down on it for a tight seal.

Timing. 15 mins on low heat (after a boil), then at least 15 mins off the heat before lifting the lid.
                                                                        Last edited by Lazare; 30-04-20, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

A good rough rinse with your hands in a bowl of water to remove starch, pinching and squeezing it between your fingers until the water is white. Rinse and soak for 30 mins.

Good seal with pot lid. I use a sheet of tinfoil, press the lid down on it for a tight seal.

Timing. 15 mins on low heat (after a boil), then at least 15 mins off the heat before lifting the lid.
                                                                          Exactly, rice cooker.

Soak. In at correct ratio, keeps it warm for ya till youre ready.
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
                                                                            Handmaid's Tale might not be so fictional after all. Not a that great leap from what we're seeing there.
                                                                            Ok calm down Nostradamus.

Lol. Just lol.
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

5.5 hours between the time I took the bag of rice out of the press and the time it hit my face.

That tastes good.

Comment

Exactly, rice cooker.

Soak. In at correct ratio, keeps it warm for ya till youre ready.
                                                                                But why would you need an appliance when a stove top pot does the job?

Comment

What kind of animal cooks basmati rice for 15 mins ?
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBasmati View Post

Lol. Just lol.
                                                                                    Gimme all ya got!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                      What kind of animal cooks basmati rice for 15 mins ?
                                                                                      Yup. Try it.

I have a set of American cups so I use a cup for two of us, about a cup and three quarters water. Pinch of salt. Bring to boil, then reduce right down. Tight lid, set timer for 15 mins. When timer beeps, turn off gas then leave it until you're ready to eat. Have left for almost 2 hours before without issue.

Spoonful of turmeric, couple of crushed cardamom and cloves and two bay leaves in before lid goes on for pilau.

Comment

But why would you need an appliance when a stove top pot does the job?
                                                                                        Because it does it without effort or attention and you can focus on the rest of your meal. You do any of your steps wrong there and it's not as good as you want it.

Most Asians use rice cookers,and for good reason, would ya let them tell you how to make spuds?

Your grill can cook toast but I bet you have a toaster?
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Because it does it without effort or attention and you can focus on the rest of your meal. You do any of your steps wrong there and it's not as good as you want it.

Most Asians use rice cookers,and for good reason, would ya let them tell you how to make spuds?

Your grill can cook toast but I bet you have a toaster?
                                                                                          The toaster isn't a good analogy. Although, admittedly I've no experience of using a rice cooker.

Toasting bread on the grill requires your attention, constant almost.

Assuming you've got to de-starch your rice before using a rice cooker and the two processes diverge after that.

I've got to put a lid on, set a timer then turn a knob.

Yeah it can go to shite if you get one thing wrong, but once you figure out what works it's a piece of piss.

Did the Qin dynasty have bleedin rice cookers?

Comment

Rice is a cunt to get it spot on. Rice cooker is perfect rice Everytime with zero attention while you cook your actual meal. I've rice a few times a week most weeks.
                                                                                            Wouldn't have bought it under the same thoughts as you but I was given one and would replace straight away if it broke.
                                                                                            Plus the wee crispy bits on the bottom
                                                                                            The fact there are "crispy bits" leads me to seriously question your standard of "spot on".

If you're an asian family eating rice every night, or a student eatign it at every meal. Then a rice cooker is probably as essential as a dishwasher. If you having rice once a week, seems a bit silly to me.

Comment

Rice cookers do a great job of steaming veg as well

Comment

The toaster isn't a good analogy. Although, admittedly I've no experience of using a rice cooker.

Toasting bread on the grill requires your attention, constant almost.

Assuming you've got to de-starch your rice before using a rice cooker and the two processes diverge after that.

I've got to put a lid on, set a timer then turn a knob.

Yeah it can go to shite if you get one thing wrong, but once you figure out what works it's a piece of piss.

Did the Qin dynasty have bleedin rice cookers?
                                                                                                Yeah I mean you can do it without steeping but better rice if you do.

I haven't a clue re Asians that was a total guess haha, I think they do generally use them though
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                  Golf courses with restrictions getting opened up here (Alberta) from Monday. Dentists, physios etc too. That will be followed by restaurants/cafes at 50%, retail stores from May 14th.

Will be interesting to see how the infection rate looks in a few weeks.
                                                                                                  We gonna get out for a round this year?

I'm a member down at Cottonwood if you want to get a round in?
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                    The fact there are "crispy bits" leads me to seriously question your standard of "spot on".
                                                                                                    Yeah haha you're right I'm pretty sure. Think is mostly happens if ya don't soak. But I like them

Two times + a week prob. Plenty of room for it, and it cost nothing, pretty sure they are cheap.
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Yeah I mean you can do it without steeping but better rice if you do.

I haven't a clue re Asians that was a total guess haha, I think they do generally use them though
                                                                                                      Not just steeping though, steeping alone doesn't really work.

Pummel the shit out of it with your fingers, rubbing and pinching in a bowl of water. You're basically grinding the starch off every grain until the water is cloudy white. Rinse and go again until it's clear.

That's the important bit. Once you get your timings and ratios right, the grains will just fall off each other.

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                                        I think when they do open the golf courses they should allow runners use the courses. Much easier on the joints to run on turf and we could try hit them with golf balls.

Nicky, unless things have changed, if you cant hit a fairway how are you going to target a runner?

Comment

Not just steeping though, steeping alone doesn't really work.

Pummel the shit out of it with your fingers, rubbing and pinching in a bowl of water. You're basically grinding the starch off every grain until the water is cloudy white. Rinse and go again until it's clear.

That's the important bit. Once you get your timings and ratios right, the grains will just fall off each other.
                                                                                                          If I had that much time for cooking dinner it rarely involves rice, unless I'm making a biryani.
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

If I had that much time for cooking dinner it rarely involves rice, unless I'm making a biryani.
                                                                                                            Ah I'm kitchenwankering with the lockdown, prepping dinners at breakfast time, planning meals days in advance. Acres of time to do it.

You'd have it good on a plate within 40 mins if you wanted to.

Comment

Rice:

Cold water
                                                                                                              Twice the amount of water to rice
                                                                                                              Bring to boil, bit of salt, simmer for about 10 minutes
                                                                                                              Water soaked in at this point
                                                                                                              Leave on warm job with heat off for a few minutes,
                                                                                                              basically streaming the rice

Done!
                                                                                                              Key:
                                                                                                              Proper fucking lid on the pot, not one with a fucking hole in it to let steam out.
                                                                                                              Had a chef tell me recently the the hole was added due to too many fuckers burning themselves.

Comment

I'd go up to her and say the husband must have been a right cunt and she is well off without him

When she kicks off, point out how she is a totally different person since he died so he must have been holding her back and probably being all patriarchy and shit on her as she has blossomed in his absence

That would be the starter, no matter what the answer I'd be calling the husband a right cunt

That would have an effect imo!

*To the best of my knowledge, the husband was not a cunt

Comment

What sort of projects are apartment dwellers getting up to? I rent so I'm not going to be painting or building garden furniture. I'm getting loads done but it'd be nice to add a physical project, something with a bit of utility.
                                                                                                                  Looking for a functional project also. Bought paint at the start of the lockdown. Still sitting out the back. More or less the same colour, so not in any hurry.

Made a kitchen island last winter, is decent stock of Tuesday wine, but need something better than boxes to store the rest. So thinking a wine rack/storage ticks a lot of boxes.

Comment

...

Comment

Get the boot in first.

Drunk.now.

Comment

The key with rice is to fry it a small bit beforehand. Causes some reaction in the rice that massively enhances the flavour.
                                                                                                                        We have a electric pressure cooker and it does a perfect job each time. Enough rice for the week in a few minutes. We always fry some garlic and finely chopped onion with a decent amount of oil on the browning mode first. Then a couple of minutes frying your rice before adding the water. Sometimes we add brown and white quinoa for a change. Plenty of salt to season and its about 6 minutes on rice mode. The odd time I chuck in a halved onion - it will melt in your mouth, try it out.

Having a pressure cooker is so convenient. Stews take 25 mins and soups are piss easy too. Couldn't imagine not having it now tbh.

Comment

First there was bread, then there was eggs.

Now the rice wankers have emerged from hiding.

Can't wait to see quotidian item is next. Toilet scrubbers?
                                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X