Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But moreso my point is, back in the stent implantation days, the Doc was quietly pointing around the room saying 'third time here, second time here'.
    They'd be your slab of beer a week, box of smokes a day crew.

Rage inducing for me, no wonder Doctors are considered desensitized robots if they deal with that level of fuckery day in day out.
    Like, you've nearly met your maker, have had another shot at things due to the miracle of modern medicine, and here you are back again, no change of lifestyle or attitude.
    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Yeah sorry not having a go.
      Didn't realise I sounded so negative. My GP suggested 7 weeks ago that I tried to lose another 4kg over the next 6 months. I've lost 6kg since then and am feeling pretty good about myself. My sleep apnea stopped when I got to around 122kg(from 129), and am now down to 118.
      Finding brisk walks much more pleasant than they've been for a long time.

There's only 12 weeks 'till christmas. I'll be happy enough if I get down to 110kg by then.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

the auld fella had a stent or two put in a few years ago.
        I've seen him go to the rehab gym sessions etc, better diet and medication regime, but for it all gradually go out the window in the last year or two, and he's convinced he's not long for the place.
        I was having the same row with my father 35 years ago, today I'm fighting with him about him not wanting me to cut his hair

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Rage inducing for me, no wonder Doctors are considered desensitized robots if they deal with that level of fuckery day in day out.
          Like, you've nearly met your maker, have had another shot at things due to the miracle of modern medicine, and here you are back again, no change of lifestyle or attitude.
          Imagine what they think about having to treat anti-vaxxers with covid...

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Didn't realise I sounded so negative. My GP suggested 7 weeks ago that I tried to lose another 4kg over the next 6 months. I've lost 6kg since then and am feeling pretty good about myself. My sleep apnea stopped when I got to around 122kg(from 129), and am now down to 118.
            Finding brisk walks much more pleasant than they've been for a long time.

There's only 12 weeks 'till christmas. I'll be happy enough if I get down to 110kg by then.
            What was the key for losing it for you? Diet and exercise?
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

What was the key for losing it for you? Diet and exercise?
              Pissing out the kidney stones that had been causing some kind of blockage.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Need cheese recommendations.
                And recipes.
                And storage advice.
                And cutting advice.
                ​​​​

Have literally bitten off more than I can chew with this order.
                ​​​​​.
                ​​​​
                So this was an expensive lesson in food storage.
                I had all the dry meats together in an insulated box.
                Had been picking at it and used about 2 salamis worth, maybe a little more.
                Went to it just there and it looked and smelt like an adventure in botulism.
                Appeared to be some jellied parts and a fair amount of musty aromas.
                I was fully prepared to risk it but the Mrs perhaps wisely took the lead and the lot is binned now bar the vacuum sealed ham and pork shoulder.
                Ham is in fridge and pork shoulder, if not binned, will be joining it.
                ​​​​​

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

So this was an expensive lesson in food storage.
                  Had been picking at it and used about 2 salamis worth, maybe a little more.
                  Went to it just there and it looked and smelt like an adventure in botulism.
                  Appeared to be some jellied parts and a fair amount of musty aromas.
                  I was fully prepared to risk it but the Mrs perhaps wisely took the lead and the lot is binned now bar the vacuum sealed ham and pork shoulder.
                  Ham is in fridge and pork shoulder, if not binned, will be joining it.
                  ​​​​​
                  it needs air! I think you (or Hitch) asked me and I said 'put it in a cupboard'.

Comment

Ooops!

Fridge or left out in the air is the right way

Comment

So coppa in the fridge too?
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I remember the wonderful Magill's deli on Clarendon street used to have a huge selection of Salami from all over the world hanging over the counter that they sold by the slice and in the summer the open end of some of them would be close to dripping on the counter

348s.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

it needs air! I think you (or Hitch) asked me and I said 'put it in a cupboard'.
                          My original plan was hanging in kitchen over breakfast nook (or whatever that is called) but was shot down

Comment

Feck I need to head out to the supermarket to panic buy my Glenisk Greek yoghurt

Comment

Reservation dogs is class

Comment

R KELLY . BOOM

Who is next

Comment

So coppa in the fridge too?
                                  It's vac-packed, so that's what I've done with it anyway. Must have a taste soon now you mention it, better crank up the pace a bit or I won't need a Xmas order.

Comment

Anyone seen the Sopranos prequel? Thinking of going to the cinema to see it but getting mixed reviews about it. Reading between the lines I suspect I will be disappointed. Not sure I want to risk my first outing back to the cinema on it.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                      Anyone seen the Sopranos prequel? Thinking of going to the cinema to see it but getting mixed reviews about it. Reading between the lines I suspect I will be disappointed. Not sure I want to risk my first outing back to the cinema on it.
                                      Haven’t seen it yet butcan guarantee you 109% that no matter how much it may pale in comparison to the sopranos it’ll end be magnitudes better than most of what is currently on in cinema including Daniel Craig being strangled by his own badly fitting suits and what ever marvel bulkshit theyve crapped out this week
                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Hola from Mexico BBV.

First PCR test done today and it was an absolute horrid experience. Heading to Las Vegas when I've hopefully gained entry to the US, if anybody from here happens to be in Vegas for the upcoming WSOP drop me a line as it would be nice to see some familiar faces.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

The UK has brought forward its plan to remove all petrol cars from the road form 2030 to next Wednesday

Comment

An Post really acting the gowl with non-eu packages at the moment. Twitter is having a meltdown. I've had two small parcels (old computer parts) rejected and returned to sender. No contact from An Post just one line rejecting the package on tracking. Large thread over on the other place with more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                              An Post really acting the gowl with non-eu packages at the moment. Twitter is having a meltdown. I've had two small parcels (old computer parts) rejected and returned to sender. No contact from An Post just one line rejecting the package on tracking. Large thread over on the other place with more detail.
                                              Yeah I had a tiny thing from China, on which they incorrectly charged me 33c vat, and a €3.50 charge for collecting the vat They contacted me by text message, as my phone number was on the package.

anpost2.jpg
                                              Last edited by ComradeCollie; 28-09-21, 09:08.

Comment

Wasn't overly gone on the Soprano's prequel, it was lovely to be in that universe again but a lot of the actors didn't ring true for me. Sil/Paulie etc came across like bad impersonators at a convention.
                                                Guy playing Tony looked the part (as you would expect from his actual son) and had some decent range and charisma, albeit didn't sense the menace and darkness that Tony always had bubbling under the surface. It was like seeing Walter White in Ozymandias then going back to see him as a mildly put-upon schoolteacher.
                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

@ Lao; will the UK get out of this or is it indicative of a bigger structural problem?

Haven't seen anyone who looks like they actually know the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    I remember the wonderful Magill's deli on Clarendon street used to have a huge selection of Salami from all over the world hanging over the counter that they sold by the slice and in the summer the open end of some of them would be close to dripping on the counter

348s.jpg
                                                    We know the owner, Kim, extremely well as she was our next door neighbor in Arnott Street when we first moved to Dublin. We spent many a sunday drinking bottle after bottle of champagne on our doorsteps, chatting away, eating her charcuterie and delicious meals she'd rustle up for us. It seemed like she knew everybody in Dublin (which we realised in time was the case for most dubliners). She'd also throw these amazing dinner parties (she's a phenomenal cook) with incredible characters who'd regale us with hillarious stories (like only the Irish can) all night long. Very fond times.

Comment

@ Lao; will the UK get out of this or is it indicative of a bigger structural problem?

brexit+covid+dvla+morons in govt. No one's sure of the actual weightings for each, but there's not much more to it than that i don't think

Comment

Been waiting on packages from the UK for 2 months. It's hilariously bad. The packages are just sitting there in customs or are getting cleared and still not the right information given to the local delivery service for them to be allowed to deliver them to me.

Comment

Wasn't it just one or two places with supply flow issues and everybody panic bought making an artificial shortage? I know truck driver shortage got much worse with Brexit though so could be to blame initially, but seemed very minor and people went crazy.

Comment

An Post are the carrier for the high volume low value stuff where it makes sense to keep postal charges low hence ruling out DHL \ UPS etc. UPS \ DHL etc are the same company. An Post are expected to handle packages for multiple international postal services with different standards and prices.

In many cases there is no contact info on the label, just an address. The packages often don't indicate the value of the item either. Where should An Post go from here?

An Post are trying to implement customs rules imposed upon them. Internet shopping has sky rocketed since Covid. Then Brexit happened. An Post are understandably struggling to keep up.

They have to return package because they don't have space to store them indefinitely.

They struggle in the end to get reciprocal payments for the international postal services for the work they do handling their packages.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                Been waiting on packages from the UK for 2 months. It's hilariously bad. The packages are just sitting there in customs or are getting cleared and still not the right information given to the local delivery service for them to be allowed to deliver them to me.
                                                                Are people still buying stuff from the UK here post Brexit?

I haven't used amazon.co.uk since end 2019.

Comment

It was working as normal until 01/01/21

Almost back to normal now.

Anyone know what advantages the Baldonnell facility will have for us? Amazon.ie but what difference will it make accept for maybe 'true' next day delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                    Wasn't overly gone on the Soprano's prequel, it was lovely to be in that universe again but a lot of the actors didn't ring true for me. Sil/Paulie etc came across like bad impersonators at a convention.
                                                                    Guy playing Tony looked the part (as you would expect from his actual son) and had some decent range and charisma, albeit didn't sense the menace and darkness that Tony always had bubbling under the surface. It was like seeing Walter White in Ozymandias then going back to see him as a mildly put-upon schoolteacher.
                                                                    All Italian Americans are just bad impersonators of the real Italians. Any I've met are full of it , they watched too many gangster movies . Look at my fookin hair Irishman , same as when I was 22. Does that count your nasal hairs . Fook you.

Comment

I get free stuff from the UK.

Though some stuff I will still order from there when I need it, if it is cheaper or unavailable elsewhere.

Comment

Yeah I had a tiny thing from China, on which they incorrectly charged me 33c vat, and a €3.50 charge for collecting the vat They contacted me by text message, as my phone number was on the package.
                                                                        The 33cent VAT charge is correct - 23% of €1.45. The €22 threshold for VAT ended on the 1st July this year so anything of any value coming from outside the EU is subject to VAT. The Duty threshold is still €150

There is many problems for the UK, the main ones being Covid, Brexit and an Incompetent Govt

Covid has delayed a lot of new drivers being tested so there is a back log there but even if they all come through, they'll still be short drivers.

Brexit has seen a lot of EU drivers leave the UK and there is also an unpublished/unreported element whereby EU drivers would often come into the UK with a full load on say Monday, but their backload wouldn't be ready until Friday so they'd spend the next three days doing domestic UK jobs, that has stopped now as Brexit means Brexit!

Incompetent Govt - I don't really need to elaborate on this one

All of the above has happened when there is a huge surge of imports into the UK so it has really heightened the problems.

Also, the UK are not alone in the fact that truck drivers are getting thin on the ground. It's happening everywhere, US, Europe, even in Ireland. Driving a truck isn't an attractive job, long hours, often away from family for up to a week, not great wages, not great facilities, risks of theft, etc means that less and less people are signing up for it. The average age of drivers is on the rise right across the board.

That is just really bad planning/logistics - We don't do B2C, only B2B, but we still have trucks in/out of the UK every single day. Depart here at 6pm, into the UK for the next morning. Delivery used to always be the same day as arrival in the UK but due to driver shortages, sometimes that can extend to the next day, but you're still talking 48 hours door/door for the overwhelming amount of shipments.

The key is all about the preparation, technology and having the right people. We now have to have POA's for customs on both sides of the Irish sea to complete the export/import entry. If we don't have that set up in advance, we don't take your booking as we don't want to hold up an entire truck as one customer wasn't set up right in the first place. On Technology, we use a nicely named 'Flipping Tool' so all the information used on the export entry is 'flipped' to the destination office and can be re-used for the import entry without having to key in huge amounts of data - it reduces the workload massively for the import branch. Even with the flipping tool, we still need bodies to do the entries - We increased our Brokerage team from around 10 to 27 in the months ahead of Brexit. We definitely had some people a bit idle in the run up before all the extra work came on board but we viewed it as being vital to have everybody in, fully trained and ready to go from day 1 which has really stood to us.

Comment

An Post are the carrier for the high volume low value stuff where it makes sense to keep postal charges low hence ruling out DHL \ UPS etc. UPS \ DHL etc are the same company. An Post are expected to handle packages for multiple international postal services with different standards and prices.

In many cases there is no contact info on the label, just an address. The packages often don't indicate the value of the item either. Where should An Post go from here?

An Post are trying to implement customs rules imposed upon them. Internet shopping has sky rocketed since Covid. Then Brexit happened. An Post are understandably struggling to keep up.

They have to return package because they don't have space to store them indefinitely.

They struggle in the end to get reciprocal payments for the international postal services for the work they do handling their packages.
                                                                          Why is it just Ireland having this scale of a problem? I've paid charges plenty of times with no hassle, packages were opened and inspected in several cases.

Other countries not experiencing the same level of issues as Ireland at all. An Post is burying their head in the sand and shrugging their shoulders while they say "new regulations". The policy of automatically rejecting every parcel that doesn't have 100% perfect electronic customs declaration is bananas. There is zero common sense being applied here. Easy to blame Brexit here but these are EU regulations so it's hitting US, UK, Asia origin etc.

Trying to fix a few old computers and can only source spares on eBay in the UK. Will end up costing a fortune to ship AGAIN using a premium courier and then pay additional charges inc a higher handling fee. What's going to happen is companies and individuals will stop sending parcels to Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The 33cent VAT charge is correct - 23% of €1.45. The €22 threshold for VAT ended on the 1st July this year so anything of any value coming from outside the EU is subject to VAT. The Duty threshold is still €150
                                                                            Sorry I should have been clearer. Aliexpress had already charged me €1.45 vat at the 23% Irish rate, as they have been doing since July first.. An post then charged me 23% of the 23%, as the CN22 form was filled in incorrectly by the sender.
                                                                            Still think an administration charge of €3.50 is insane regardless.

Comment

Sorry I should have been clearer. Aliexpress had already charged me €1.45 vat at the 23% Irish rate, as they have been doing since July first.. An post then charged me 23% of the 23%, as the CN22 form was filled in incorrectly by the sender.
                                                                              Still think an administration charge of €3.50 is insane regardless.

We do something similar, X% of VAT & Duty outlaid, min fee of Y - No max fee

There is background work that has to go in to collect VAT & Duty on behalf of the Govt and then remit it to them plus there are costs associated with having a TAN A/c with customs.

Disbursements, old chap, disbursements

Comment

Haven't had an issue with Amazon since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Haven't had an issue with Amazon since then.
                                                                                  I've had a few refunds from them of extra customs charges they made on stuff earlier in the year.

Comment

I've had issues with amazon.de not delivering to Ireland. What's that about?
                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

lol

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

One of the greats

Comment

Watching Squid games… very very good…

Comment

Why don’t the brits just put that massive fleet of self driving trucks that a few years ago people here were assuring us would be in action by this stage
                                                                                              Robots etc taking peoples jobs going to be tough when there’s struggles to keep the lights on for want of juice.

struggling to enjoy the brits woes like I should be, we are fairly exposed here to a shock like that re power and fuel in coming years
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Out to the theatre tonight for the first time since a nervous outing in early March 2020 (when people weren't quite sure WTF was coming at us but you could sure taste the fear).

Comment

Pleasantly surprised to see Liv Boeree pop up on one of my favourite YouTube channels today:

Liv Boeree was a top ranked poker player and won more than $4 million on the international circuit. A self-professed nerd with a degree in astrophysics, she ...

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

S01E01 of Foundation looks great and while it will probably disappoint in the long run there is enough there to keep me watching the series.

Was delighted to see the great Barry McGovern turning up with a strong character role in E01

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Ah FFS

​​​​​​​

Comment

FAcITpfXsAQZpXm?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

Got tickets to Tool there, took over an hour for a free ticket to appear, Ticketmaster getting hammered even though it's over 100 per ticket.
                                                                                                        So good to have gigs coming back.

Also Squid Game is excellent.

Comment

Out to the theatre tonight for the first time since a nervous outing in early March 2020 (when people weren't quite sure WTF was coming at us but you could sure taste the fear).
                                                                                                          What are you going to?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What are you going to?
                                                                                                            Roots in the Sam Beckett (no idea about it, wasn't my choice)

Comment

Roots in the Sam Beckett (no idea about it, wasn't my choice)
                                                                                                              I'm off to the Civic tonight to see Heart of a Dog, based on a Russian novella, about the experiences of a dog turned into a human by a scientist. Saw a read through of the first scene or act a few years ago and it was good.

At the intersection of ecology and performance, Root will trace where we have come from , where we are now and where we need to go. A vibrant paradigm of Ireland's forestry system that will hand the microphone over to a tree to hear what is has to say.
                                                                                                              Don't fancy yours much.

Comment

I always return to this when the English types try to lecture me on the CommonWEALTH .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                  Don't fancy yours much.
                                                                                                                  FFS.

That's what happens when you ask an environmental consultant to book something.

Comment

I thought it was amazeballs. Only downside was leaving the cinema wanting to buy a pack of cigarettes and use the n word.

Comment

Got tickets to Tool there, took over an hour for a free ticket to appear,
                                                                                                                      So Tar if I had to start with a Tool album which one would you recommend? (100e a ticket? Seriously? For what exactly?)

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

So Tar if I had to start with a Tool album which one would you recommend? (100e a ticket? Seriously? For what exactly?)
                                                                                                                        Gig tickets have been steadily rising for a while now and €100 yo yo's is pretty standard for an established band now. And will probably continue to rise. Elton John is charging a minimum of something like €160 to stand at the back of a field in Cork to see him.

Don't know a whole lot about Tool ( have a couple songs on a couple playlists) but they are a big band with a huge following while still being rather niche.

Comment

I thought it was amazeballs. Only downside was leaving the cinema wanting to buy a pack of cigarettes and use the n word.
                                                                                                                          Only negative thing for me was the shitty cgi they used for the bits with fire. Surely they could afford to actually burn stuff down?

Best use of 'Astral Weeks' in a movie soundtrack ever? BennyHiFi might be able to remember other ones

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X