Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spurs continuing to make sure Kane never wins any silverware.

Comment

Seems like the Tallaght Bandits have now taken Kabul, although the news reporting seems confused, understandably so.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Maybe. You could also sum them up prettily dodgily if so minded. Ex dictators stole the land, then accepted US military aid to support the seizure because the US wanted a Cuba like presence off the coast of China. Its not a particularly admirable 'history', and now their main existence is as a Gibraltar-Spain like leech off Chinese economic growth.
        But only ~10% of them actually want unification....

Comment

It's not ex-overeaters anonymous though? Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never seen people posting medals of it being 20 years since they had to use the extra large belt on Ryanair. It's because those lifetime illnesses are only ascribed to those with a moral factor.
          Dunno the specific handle it goes by but afaik they cover all food disorders like bulimia anorexia right through to over eating.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Dunno the specific handle it goes by but afaik they cover all food disorders like bulimia anorexia right through to over eating.
            Oh no my point is that it's not a presumed lifetime commitment of turning up at weekly meetings. And standing up saying to people how much you used to eat reliving the shame. Because it doesn't count as a moral failing so doesn't need the weekly flagilation meetings. That was a point he was getting at - the addiction culture that's attached to having been addicted to heroin in the past.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

But only ~10% of them actually want unification....
              The Russians will be delighted with your newfound support for majority rule and their reunification with Crimea. Something which was massively supported by Crimeans. Mainly because they largely only speak Russian.

Comment

The Russians will be delighted with your newfound support for majority rule and their reunification with Crimea. Something which was massively supported by Crimeans. Mainly because they largely only speak Russian.
                ha, 'massively supported by Crimeans'.

In the same manner, people used to vote in Soviet elections.
                Fair play to Putin though, he didn't get greedy and go for the 99%...just the 95%.

I wonder who observed that free and fair referendum, let's see:

According to Yale historian Timothy Snyder, the Russian government invited individuals belonging to European far-right, anti-semitic and neo-Nazi parties to serve as observers
                Also; why do Crimeans largely speak Russian - could be because the Russians (in living memory) deported the original Tartar inhabitants, murdered them and replaced them with ethnic Russians?

Comment

ha, 'massively supported by Crimeans'.

In the same manner, people used to vote in Soviet elections.
                  Fair play to Putin though, he didn't get greedy and go for the 99%...just the 95%.

I wonder who observed that free and fair referendum, let's see:

Also; why do Crimeans largely speak Russian - could be because the Russians (in living memory) deported the original Tartar inhabitants, murdered them and replaced them with ethnic Russians?
                  Crimea was full of ethnic Russians at the time of the vote. Look up the ethnic breakdown. A legitimate majority voted to get away from Ukraine - which, let's remember, had just decided to ban Russian language official use across the country and had just overthrown a democratically elected Russian-leaning government. It was highly legitimate that Crimea would vote to get the fuck out of dodge.You can't have one rule for Taiwan and one rule for Crimea. Unless, and I'm almost embarrassed to suggest it - each rule is made up at your convenience to suit the current argument. Either majority can decide or majority can't decide.

Comment

And you've chosen to omit that Ukraine told ethnic Ukrainians (a small part of the Crimea population) to boycott the vote. Which was why it skewed so high in terms of the vote to join Russia. But that was because the Russian population was a very large majority.

Comment

Yes. But its regions where there is legitimate claims. Like Taiwan, which is legitimate Chinese land, and internationally recognised as such.
                      ​​​​​​
                      I hate the way you repeat this as if it were fact. It isn't true, and the US could well be prepared to fight world war 3 over it. Don't believe everything the CCP tells you.

Here's an excellent book on Taiwan's history - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forbidden-N.../dp/0230614248

Comment

Kerry Tyrone back on.

Comment

China 'went in' to Tibet though. And per Hotspur's post, are behaving in a fairly classically imperialist manner therein.
                          The Chinese have been continually torturing monks and nuns in jails in Tibet for decades. One thing that I've read about a couple of times recently (including in a book last night) is that they make them stand on something all day with sheets of newspaper under their arms and between their legs, and sometimes a cup of water on their head. If the sheets fall, that's a paddling. And by paddling I mean severe beating or having electrical batons put into the mouth and on the breasts and in sexual organs if a woman.

These monks and nuns can spend year after year after year being tortured. I'm not even sure if they get "re-educated" like those lucky uyghurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                            Magical weekend of GAA.

Tullamore last night to see St Rynaghs win the (delayed) 2020 Senior Hurling Championship, Croke Park today to see Offaly win the U20 All Ireland Football Championship. Brilliant scenes. I honestly doubted I'd ever stand in Croke Park again and witness Offaly win an All Ireland at any grade. There's the bones of a good senior outfit in a few years time in that Offaly side, hopefully a second wave follows on. Credit also to Roscommon, they've some proper footballers coming along in their development also.
                            Cormac Egan is a complete baller. Huge fan. Hopefully Offaly keep the bunch of that age to kick onto senior. An absolute joy to watch

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

The Chinese have been continually torturing monks and nuns in jails in Tibet for decades. One thing that I've read about a couple of times recently (including in a book last night) is that they make them stand on something all day with sheets of newspaper under their arms and between their legs, and sometimes a cup of water on their head. If the sheets fall, that's a paddling. And by paddling I mean severe beating or having electrical batons put into the mouth and on the breasts and in sexual organs if a woman.

These monks and nuns can spend year after year after year being tortured. I'm not even sure if they get "re-educated" like those lucky uyghurs.
                              I'm not questioning some of the awful things China do to preserve their absolute power. And that isn't unique to China, we saw with Abu Gharib the US did almost exactly that form of torture to Iraqis. But the flaw is that we judge an entire nation that we don't understand - all facets of the nation - based on these individual stories. But we don't judge a nation we know better, the US, based on the exact same practices.

This is not whataboutery btw - the first comparison was between the US and the supposed Chinese treatment of the Afghanis. When the first you can think of is something we have actual pictures of the US army carrying out in a country they invaded.

The point I was making is distinct, that China isn't interested like the US in international warmongering. They have been mainly (brutally) occupied in their history, not those seeking out international fights like the US. Yet you saying 'let's see how they treat the Afghanis', is you extrapolating from a domestic story (at least in Chinese eyes) to assume international behaviour.

And I know the point of describing the torture as you did is to make it look bad for me to respond. But my response originally was to your point about Afghan, you've now changed it to something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I hate the way you repeat this as if it were fact. It isn't true, and the US could well be prepared to fight world war 3 over it. Don't believe everything the CCP tells you.

Here's an excellent book on Taiwan's history - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forbidden-N.../dp/0230614248
                                The US has been trying to fight China for decades - in Vietnam, in Korea, so I'd well believe they might want to do the same in Taiwan. It doesn't make it legitimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  Kerry Tyrone back on.
                                  It's just crazy that the GAA could accept there was a legitimate Covid issue in the Tyrone squad worthy of a delay and yet only give them an extra six days. Should have been given two weeks from the start.

Comment

The US has been trying to fight China for decades - in Vietnam, in Korea, so I'd well believe they might want to do the same in Taiwan. It doesn't make it legitimate.
                                    Good response, ignore everything pertinent and make a point that is completely irrelevant!

Read the book I suggested (or any in-depth history of Taiwain) and see if you still feel that Taiwan is legitimately Chinese. And if you don't at least you'll understand the situation better.

Comment

And I know the point of describing the torture as you did is to make it look bad for me to respond. But my response originally was to your point about Afghan, you've now changed it to something else entirely.
                                      I think you're mistaking me for RDIII looking to engage you in debate about China. My first post was a joke post that referenced you for fun. My second post was a response to RDIII mentioning Tibet combined with reading an account only last night. I'm not actually involved in a debate with you about China. That's why it looks like it's changed to something else entirely, because it is.

I just want to see the Red Army vs the Taliban. When the Chinese liberate you, you stay liberated.

Comment

1300 dead in Haiti. That country does seem to be shit on more than most.

Comment

Job spam - we (GGPoker) are looking for people with poker knowledge to join our Platinum (VIP) team. Might be of interest to lurkers out there, or someone might have a friend that would be interested, etc... If you do know someone who might apply, please let me know so I can fast-track things: https://ie.indeed.com/job/customer-r...8edf84a96bbf35

Comment

I just want to see the Red Army vs the Taliban. When the Chinese liberate you, you stay liberated.
                                            Do they still call themselves the Red Army?

I thought they were the People's LIberation (irony alert!) Army i.e. PLA, now.

Just the 3.5 million of them. That's a lot of, eh, liberating for a country that is allegedly only interested in peaceful trade.

Comment

1300 dead in Haiti. That country does seem to be shit on more than most.
                                              Watched CNN this morning where people were collecting scrap metal from a demolished building. The CNN journalist on site, straight faced calling them looters
                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just the 3.5 million of them. That's a lot of, eh, liberating for a country that is allegedly only interested in peaceful trade.
                                                When did they last leave China uninvited?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Watched CNN this morning where people were collecting scrap metal from a demolished building. The CNN journalist on site, straight faced calling them looters
                                                  Ugh.

Comment

Have a hankering after some PG Wodehouse books. Read one of his before where his character is a charming scoundrel in Brittany. Quite possibly dipped into Jeeves and Wooster as a teenager when there might (vague memory) have been an omnibus edition of stories hanging around the house. Would anyone have a good suggestion where to start? Quintessential pure charming Wodehouse?

Comment

Have a hankering after some PG Wodehouse books. Read one of his before where his character is a charming scoundrel in Brittany. Quite possibly dipped into Jeeves and Wooster as a teenager when there might (vague memory) have been an omnibus edition of stories hanging around the house. Would anyone have a good suggestion where to start? Quintessential pure charming Wodehouse?
                                                      They are mostly in short story form, hundreds of them, then there a few books that are really just vaguely sequential short stories. It doesn't really matter if you just dip in and out of them.
                                                      Hard to remember which ones stand out but I think the peak is somewhere around 'Right Ho Jeeves' and 'The code of the Woosters' I used to have a great big collection of short stories that I'd have recommended but I can't find it now but there are loads of collections available.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That Afgan situation is a cluster fuck. No matter who you point the blame at the Taliban and their medieval treatment of people especially women is beyond barbaric. Its 2021 and they face this oppression again from these DOGS . Depressing .

Further afield I wonder what will happen to the wider region when oil ceases to become their bargaining tool .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

They are mostly in short story form, hundreds of them, then there a few books that are really just vaguely sequential short stories. It doesn't really matter if you just dip in and out of them.
                                                          Hard to remember which ones stand out but I think the peak is somewhere around 'Right Ho Jeeves' and 'The code of the Woosters' I used to have a great big collection of short stories that I'd have recommended but I can't find it now but there are loads of collections available.

Just pure comfort reading, wonderful stuff really.

Wodehouse himself was a bit disconnected from reality afaik. Including making broadcasts for the Nazis. The authorities let him off, basically because they felt he was a bit simple.

Comment

It appears that not only are you quite correct, but it is within shouting distance of a century since they were called that. My favourite branch of it is the People's Liberation Army Rocket Force.

I am fantastically ignorant about China. I did look for a good history book on them to listen to recently, but I didn't come up with one. If anyone has one, or one that isn't technically a history book that would do the job I would be interested.

Comment

Absolutely cracking test match well into the fifth day right now, just backed India at 9/4 on the grounds that 200 is a hugely challenging chase on the final day.

Comment

Absolutely cracking test match well into the fifth day right now, just backed India at 9/4 on the grounds that 200 is a hugely challenging chase on the final day.
                                                                LOL I just backed them at 9/2

Would lilke them to declare if England don't mop up soon, too easy for them to start playing for the draw if time is short

Comment

LOL I just backed them at 9/2
                                                                  Jaysis! on the machine, I take it?

Comment

Jaysis! on the machine, I take it?
                                                                    Yeah, draw is rapidly shortening now would like to see them declare when they hit a 225 lead, they could be waiting till next week for these bowlers to mop up..

Comment

Yeah, draw is rapidly shortening now would like to see them declare when they hit a 225 lead, they could be waiting till next week for these bowlers to mop up..
                                                                      They won't declare.

England win disappearing fast as an option (especially given how slow their Nos 1,2 and 3 all bat)

Comment

Don't have the tv on but WTF are England doing letting these clowns bat on? Bumrah literally can't bat.

Comment

Dead 13 year

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

you wouldn't think that if you were watching it
                                                                            He has a test batting average of 4!

To translate; that means he would be as well off closing his eyes each ball and having a random swipe.

Comment

Radio 4's excellent Soul Music episode this week was on that song. It's great show most are available as a podcast

Comment

Too little too late
                                                                                Too scared of losing to try an win

Comment

Too little too late
                                                                                  Too scared of losing to try an win
                                                                                  if any team can lose it from here....

Comment

It appears that not only are you quite correct, but it is within shouting distance of a century since they were called that. My favourite branch of it is the People's Liberation Army Rocket Force.

I am fantastically ignorant about China. I did look for a good history book on them to listen to recently, but I didn't come up with one. If anyone has one, or one that isn't technically a history book that would do the job I would be interested.
                                                                                    I wanted to improve my (presumably unimprovable) knowledge of China and asked a prof of political science and he recommended How Asia Works by Joe Studwell. Haven't read it yet, will be doing so later this week. But the prof is the type of guy who would recommend something well. I think it will more speak to the mindset of the country rather than the history or politics. But I personally find that the fascinating angle.

A great history book, neutral but interested, would be great.

Comment

First 5/6 overs will decide if this is a snoozefest or if 'something' might happen.

Comment

LOL

Root must be so sick of this shit

Comment

the dropped catch was a sickner we were right on track if he'd held it. India have to bowl like its one of these The Hundred games now

Comment

Radio 4's excellent Soul Music episode this week was on that song. It's great show most are available as a podcast

Enjoyed that ta Any other shows on this you recommend . ( to accompany me this evening) .

Comment

the dropped catch was a sickner we were right on track if he'd held it. India have to bowl like its one of these The Hundred games now
                                                                                              yeah, was a pretty easy catch too - bad, bad drop, especially if he's still there at tea

Comment

Gone now anyway.

Comment

I wanted to improve my (presumably unimprovable) knowledge of China and asked a prof of political science and he recommended How Asia Works
                                                                                                  Cheers, but I wouldn't be able to read a book that focused on economics, as inextricable as it might be from the broader reality of China and experience of the people.

Comment

Ugh, they just dropped Root FFS

Comment

Kabul...

Comment

Seems to make sense to me. I think those NA, AA, GA organisations are deeply flawed. They keep the addiction alive and keep it important in a moralistic 'I have sinned' framework. Their essentially moral nature can be seen from their being no such clubs for ex smokers or ex fatties. Despite those two addictions killing far more people.
                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                        Will have to disagree with you here having attended several different NA organizations over the past decade. I have never found the experience to be moralistic focused. I believe the reason a lot of people continue to place so much self-identity on recovery is that through recovery, people start to find themselves, and start to discover the self-love that's absence prior would be a key factor in the addiction. There is possibly an underlying fear, a lack of self-efficacy, due to placing more perceived weight on the collaboration/group accountability for their progress than their own determination, education & perseverance. There is also the obvious relapse pattern - consider the intensified reactivity of falling off the wagon for a heroin addict versus an obese person; to me, it would seem more important that one of these person's crutches for suffering is fought against with more tenacity. I rarely attend NA meetings & I am still a functional addict despite majority of my internal monologue each day focused on breaking free but whenever I do attend, what I am always left with is the conflicting sense of how misconceived society's view is on addicts; I always encounter the most beautiful people striving their hardest to simply get through their respective lives without harming themselves or others.

Comment

Bairstow was looking very solid but gone last ball before tea...4 down with plenty of overs left...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Enjoyed that ta Any other shows on this you recommend . ( to accompany me this evening) .
                                                                                                            There are loads of good ones easy to go with the ones where you already love the music but some of the best for me were ones I didn't know or didn't really know.

This one on Sunshine on Leith was memorable, I kind of knew the song but never really got how great it was until I hear this

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                              Job spam - we (GGPoker) are looking for people with poker knowledge to join our Platinum (VIP) team. Might be of interest to lurkers out there, or someone might have a friend that would be interested, etc... If you do know someone who might apply, please let me know so I can fast-track things: https://ie.indeed.com/job/customer-r...8edf84a96bbf35
                                                                                                              Is that standard salary for entry level positions these days? Seems low to me.
                                                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Bairstow was looking very solid but gone last ball before tea...4 down with plenty of overs left...
                                                                                                                Root gone now.

Hello.

Comment

Kabul...

absolutely fucking terrifying. Disaster Movie stuff.

Comment

Cheers, but I wouldn't be able to read a book that focused on economics, as inextricable as it might be from the broader reality of China and experience of the people.
                                                                                                                    I wonder, genuinely, could that be an issue (and that I on the other hand have gone too far in the economic direction). That what really matters to people on the ground are these economic factors. And our misunderstanding from afar is why a nation, so recently famine stricken and one of the poorest nations in the world, might view that as the most important thing for them. So we are viewing a nation we don't understand from our moral prism and they are viewing their nation from an economic success prism. That wouldn't be a uniquely Chinese perspective either. You common hear about people voting for e.g. Trump or Bush as despite finding their social policies abhorrent, they think they will be good for their pocket. I realise there is no equivalent votes in China, but dictators tend to be tolerated or not tolerated.

Comment

Is that a collection of addictions or passions?! He seemed in the book pretty happy with all of them having been in his life. (well not jiu jitsu which gets no mention)
                                                                                                                      The book is probably a decade old, and a collection of stories from a decade prior. The jiu jitsu was later, maybe 2012 onwards.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

Root gone now.

Hello.
                                                                                                                        Hello

Comment

FFS, now Kohli drops a sitter at slip

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X