Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some weird glitch that I can access Ipb from my phone has meant havent been on here in a week or so. Log on two fairly intensely terrifying articles re Corona, which I stopped reading about, including the news etc. Is Murdrum still doing updates. how are we fixed? like, is it all going to be allright and how are we doing as a country. funny my lads whatsapp group splintered the other day as prob 60 perecent in were like fuck this, no more corona talk and legit basically said if there is they will form a different group. presume thats happening all over the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Apparently he can't as the VP is asked to be president if the president were to, say, die, and as Obama isn't eligible to be president again he therefore isn't eligible to be VP.
      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      Whether that's true or not is the important bit.
      He's not eligible to stand for election as president again.
      But does that mean he's not eligible to be president again?
      It's actually not clear either way.
      The 22nd amendment says you can only be "elected" president twice.
      But the 12th amendment says only those eligible to be president be vice-president.

So there's a grey area on whether the eligible to be president part refers to an eligibility to be president in the first place, or eligible to run for president in your own right.

The order of amendments would suggest it was the former, but there's enough there that selecting Obama would open the door for massive objections and legal tie up.

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
      Roosevelt was in office for 3 terms - edit that looking it up further he actually won 4 presidential elections too.
      That was before the amendment though. Until 1940, it was just seen as the done thing.

Comment

Irish Times on Trump.

SPOILER

Irish Times
        April 25, 2020
        By Fintan O’Toole

THE WORLD HAS LOVED, HATED AND ENVIED THE U.S. NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME, WE PITY IT

Over more than two centuries, the United States has stirred a very wide range of feelings in the rest of the world: love and hatred, fear and hope, envy and contempt, awe and anger. But there is one emotion that has never been directed towards the US until now: pity.

However bad things are for most other rich democracies, it is hard not to feel sorry for Americans. Most of them did not vote for Donald Trump in 2016. Yet they are locked down with a malignant narcissist who, instead of protecting his people from Covid-19, has amplified its lethality. The country Trump promised to make great again has never in its history seemed so pitiful.

Will American prestige ever recover from this shameful episode? The US went into the coronavirus crisis with immense advantages: precious weeks of warning about what was coming, the world’s best concentration of medical and scientific expertise, effectively limitless financial resources, a military complex with stunning logistical capacity and most of the world’s leading technology corporations. Yet it managed to make itself the global epicentre of the pandemic.

As the American writer George Packer puts it in the current edition of the Atlantic, “The United States reacted ... like Pakistan or Belarus – like a country with shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering.”

It is one thing to be powerless in the face of a natural disaster, quite another to watch vast power being squandered in real time – wilfully, malevolently, vindictively. It is one thing for governments to fail (as, in one degree or another, most governments did), quite another to watch a ruler and his supporters actively spread a deadly virus. Trump, his party, and Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News became vectors of the pestilence.

The grotesque spectacle of the president openly inciting people (some of them armed) to take to the streets to oppose the restrictions that save lives is the manifestation of a political death wish. What are supposed to be daily briefings on the crisis,
        demonstrative of national unity in the face of a shared challenge, have been used by Trump merely to sow confusion and division. They provide a recurring horror show in which all the neuroses that haunt the American subconscious dance naked on live TV.
        If the plague is a test, its ruling political nexus ensured that the US would fail it at a terrible cost in human lives. In the process, the idea of the US as the world’s leading nation – an idea that has shaped the past century – has all but evaporated.

Other than the Trump impersonator Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil, who is now looking to the US as the exemplar of anything other than what not to do? How many people in Düsseldorf or Dublin are wishing they lived in Detroit or Dallas?

It is hard to remember now but, even in 2017, when Trump took office, the conventional wisdom in the US was that the Republican Party and the broader framework of US political institutions would prevent him from doing too much damage. This was always a delusion, but the pandemic has exposed it in the most savage ways.

Abject surrender

What used to be called mainstream conservatism has not absorbed Trump – he has absorbed it. Almost the entire right-wing half of American politics has surrendered abjectly to him. It has sacrificed on the altar of wanton stupidity the most basic ideas of responsibility, care and even safety.
        Thus, even at the very end of March, 15 Republican governors had failed to order people to stay at home or to close non-essential businesses. In Alabama, for example, it was not until April 3 that governor Kay Ivey finally issued a stay-at-home order.
        In Florida, the state with the highest concentration of elderly people with underlying conditions, governor Ron DeSantis, a Trump mini-me, kept the beach resorts open to students travelling from all over the US for spring break parties. Even on April 1, when he issued restrictions, DeSantis exempted religious services and “recreational activities.”

Georgia governor Brian Kemp, when he finally issued a stay-at-home order on April 1, explained: “We didn’t know that [the virus can be spread by people without symptoms] until the last 24 hours.”

This is not mere ignorance – it is deliberate and homicidal stupidity. There is, as the demonstrations this week in US cities have shown, plenty of political mileage in denying the reality of the pandemic. It is fuelled by Fox News and far-right internet sites, and it reaps for these politicians millions of dollars in donations, mostly (in an ugly irony) from older people who are most vulnerable to the coronavirus.

It draws on a concoction of conspiracy theories, hatred of science, paranoia about the “deep state” and religious providentialism (God will protect the good folks) that is now very deeply infused in the mindset of the American right.

Trump embodies and enacts this mindset, but he did not invent it. The US response to the coronavirus crisis has been paralysed by a contradiction that the Republicans have inserted into the heart of US democracy. On the one hand, they want to control all the levers of governmental power. On the other they have created a popular base by playing on the notion that government is innately evil and must not be trusted.

The contradiction was made manifest in two of Trump’s statements on the pandemic: on the one hand that he has “total authority”, and on the other that “I don’t take responsibility at all”. Caught between authoritarian and anarchic impulses, he is incapable of coherence.

Fertile ground

But this is not just Donald Trump. The crisis has shown definitively that Trump’s presidency is not an aberration. It has grown on soil long prepared to receive it. The monstrous blossoming of misrule has structure and purpose and strategy behind it.
        There are very powerful interests who demand “freedom” in order to do as they like with the environment, society and the economy. They have infused a very large part of American culture with the belief that “freedom” is literally more important than life. My freedom to own assault weapons trumps your right not to get shot at school. Now, my freedom to go to the barber (“I Need a Haircut” read one banner this week in St. Paul, Minnesota) trumps your need to avoid infection.

Usually when this kind of outlandish idiocy is displaying itself, there is the comforting thought that, if things were really serious, it would all stop. People would sober up. Instead, a large part of the US has hit the bottle even harder.
        And the president, his party and their media allies keep supplying the drinks. There has been no moment of truth, no shock of realisation that the antics have to end. No one of any substance on the US right has stepped in to say: get a grip, people are dying here.

That is the mark of how deep the trouble is for the US – it is not just that Trump has treated the crisis merely as a way to feed tribal hatreds but that this behaviour has become normalised. When the freak show is live on TV every evening, and the star is boasting about his ratings, it is not really a freak show any more. For a very large and solid bloc of Americans, it is reality.

And this will get worse before it gets better. Trump has at least eight more months in power. In his inaugural address in 2017, he evoked “American carnage” and promised to make it stop. But now that the real carnage has arrived, he is revelling in it. He is in his element.

As things get worse, he will pump more hatred and falsehood, more death-wish defiance of reason and decency, into the groundwater. If a new administration succeeds him in 2021, it will have to clean up the toxic dump he leaves behind. If he is re-elected, toxicity will have become the lifeblood of American politics.
        Either way, it will be a long time before the rest of the world can imagine America being great again.

End.

Comment

Only in Celbridge!!
          Only in Celbridge!! ??????

I drove into Applegreen to fill up my car as diesel is so cheap now €40 (lol), I noticed 2 Gardai were watching a woman who was smoking while filling her car up. I thought, is she stupid, crazy, or both, especially with the Gardai standing right there?! ??????.

I usually mind my own business, but before I left I heard someone screaming!! I’m talking violent death screams! I looked round and I saw that this woman's arm was on fire!!!! She was swinging her arm, running around and going nuts!! I got out of the car, the Gardai had the woman on the ground and they were putting the fire out!! Then they put handcuffs on her and put her in the Garda car. I was a bit shocked, couldn't believe they arrested her, surely she ought to be in an ambulance and not a Garda car?!

Me being nosey as I am, asked one of the Gardai what they were arresting her for. He looked at me, dead serious, and said, "WAVING A FIRE ARM”!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
            I know it won't happen, and I know that he said he's picking a woman, but is there any rule stopping Biden picking Barack Obama as his running mate. I know a president can't run for a third term, but could he be vice president, in theory?
            It's a completely nonsensical idea, no way could you have a figure of that significance in the VP role.
            Think about it; it would completely undermine your own standing as President.

It would be like David Moyes picking Alex Ferguson as his assistant coach.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              It's actually not clear either way.
              The 22nd amendment says you can only be "elected" president twice.
              But the 12th amendment says only those eligible to be president be vice-president.

So there's a grey area on whether the eligible to be president part refers to an eligibility to be president in the first place, or eligible to run for president in your own right.

The order of amendments would suggest it was the former, but there's enough there that selecting Obama would open the door for massive objections and legal tie up.

That was before the amendment though. Until 1940, it was just seen as the done thing.
              I was reading up on this a bit more last night. In theory anyone (a 4 day old Chinese baby even) can run for president and be part of the primaries and the November election itself, they need to be elected by the college of electors (which always does as the vote says, but don't technically have to), so in theory the ticket can be changed after the election if someone is found to be constitutionally barred by being ineligible, such as being foreign born or under 35.

It'll almost certainly never happen in the US that someone who is president ever goes on to be vice president either by election or appointment, but barring a supreme court decision, it seems likely that they 'could'. If Trump was 10-15 years younger, it's the type of stunt he'd try to pull.

Comment

BoJo looking alive and as well as ever!
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

This is a glorious board game for anyone at a loose end. Just pure good fun. You play the role of a thief trying to break into a dungeon careful not to let the noises (clank!) alert the dragon to your attempts to steal all the jewels.

any good for 2 players?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    He's talking about a 2 day offset in the peak and as I remember that week that offset could well be accounted for the face that the announcement was made a couple of days after the general public were already behaving as if it had been announced. Leo's statement was really just formalising what had already been happening.
                    Seems to suggest that less strict measures and more discretion for people is equally effective though, I think. The Spanish rules as my sister has described them to me for instance seem like insane overkill.

In the UK there's an even greater gap between the point where deaths peaked and the point where full lockdown could have been having an effect. I don't think the change over there was formalising what was already happening. Not convinced that was really the case here either but it's a fair point when the gap is small.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      It's a completely nonsensical idea, no way could you have a figure of that significance in the VP role.
                      Think about it; it would completely undermine your own standing as President.

It would be like David Moyes picking Alex Ferguson as his assistant coach.
                      I didn't say it was a good idea, I didn't say it was in any way likely. Why do people sometimes make things up about something that aren't there? I asked was it theoretically possible.

Gah!

Comment

The Swedish graph is taking off skybound compared to their neighbours. I wonder why ?

Comment

I didn't say it was a good idea, I didn't say it was in any way likely. Why do people sometimes make things up about something that aren't there? I asked was it theoretically possible.

Gah!
                          You should know the BBV by now .

Comment

Gah!
                            I didn't say you said it was a good idea. I said it was a nonsensical idea.

If you actually read my post, you will see that. Bad night with the baby?

Comment

I didn't say you said it was a good idea. I said it was a nonsensical idea.

If you actually read my post, you will see that. Bad night with the baby?
                              Whether it is a good idea or not though isn't relevant.

Baby has had a dirty nappy every time for over a week, has epic nappy rash (that is clearing up slowly thankfully), made himself hoarse from crying over the last few days, so all is joyous, as you can imagine. Seems to be in better form today though.

Comment

Google giving away 2 months free of their gaming platform Stadia.

Comment

Baby has had a dirty nappy every time for over a week, has epic nappy rash (that is clearing up slowly thankfully), made himself hoarse from crying over the last few days, so all is joyous, as you can imagine. Seems to be in better form today though.
                                  That was a good guess!

Ah, nappies. A part of my life that I have mostly blanked out.

Must be > 6 years since the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    How does Pokio work? Is each club segregated? Or is there a combined players pool?
                                    Pokio works very very well for anyone with a basic understanding of the rules of poker. Unbelievable scenes.

Comment

That was a good guess!

Ah, nappies. A part of my life that I have mostly blanked out.

Must be > 6 years since the last one.
                                      Next one will be on you.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                                        Pokio works very very well for anyone with a basic understanding of the rules of poker. Unbelievable scenes.
                                        Very few games running when I look at it. Is there bigger circles that I need to be joining?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                          Google giving away 2 months free of their gaming platform Stadia.

https://stadia.google.com/?utm_sourc...utm_content=ie
                                          awesome, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            The Swedish graph is taking off skybound compared to their neighbours. I wonder why ?
                                            Under 5% growth per day in new cases and deaths for over a week including one new death reported on Sat. Under 5% growth in ICU admissions for over 2 weeks.
                                            Obviously the numbers are grey, and obviously they're not doing as well as their locked down neighbours but they're not suffering the various tolls of the those lockdowns. The point is that it looks as though the R number can be kept below 1 while still having a functioning society.

Comment

I've read 40% of households in Sweden have one occupant & the majority of cases are nursing homes and migrants. No source, could have read it here.

I do know for a fact that today's Swedish racing it trotting from Hagmyren.
                                              Last edited by nicnicnic; 27-04-20, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                think your bro was just on Sean O'Rourke, Zuut
                                                Yea he's making a good few quid out of Sweden's unique approach!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                  Under 5% growth per day in new cases and deaths for over a week including one new death reported on Sat. Under 5% growth in ICU admissions for over 2 weeks.
                                                  Obviously the numbers are grey, and obviously they're not doing as well as their locked down neighbours but they're not suffering the various tolls of the those lockdowns. The point is that it looks as though the R number can be kept below 1 while still having a functioning society.
                                                  Their total testing is low so who knows their real number
                                                  Their date rate graph is taking off whilst ours in plateauing. So I'm told by Swedes . No time to investigate.

Comment

Dunphy interviewed an Irish journalist living is Sweden the other day,

Very Good! (well very good to a fella actively avoiding the news anyway)

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

Their total testing is low so who knows their real number
                                                      Their date rate graph is taking off whilst ours in plateauing. So I'm told by Swedes . No time to investigate.
                                                      They're telling you fibs!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

They're telling you fibs!

I doubt they are fibbing. The next week should tell you .

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                            I've read 40% of households in Sweden have one occupant & the majority of cases are nursing homes and migrants. No source, could have read it here.

I do know for a fact that today's Swedish racing it trotting from Hagmyren.
                                                            Any tips?

Comment

Should be used to mad Scandies going all in I guess .

Comment

Gabriel Gatehouse did a good report for Newsnight from Stockholm the other night.

A lot of grey about it for sure but the key thing is the Swedes almost automatically fall into line and exercise a sort of collective social responsibility that I fear is going to be difficult to attain here.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bump for the music king semi finals. Closes at 2

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      Bump for the music king semi finals. Closes at 2
                                                                      Can you extend till 2.30 just getting to them now

Comment

Sure.

Comment

I suspect you were actually told that by Finns. The mortal rotten-shark-eating enemies of the globally beloved Swedes.
                                                                          They are a confused race . Some of the same siblings are Finnish and others Swedes . Still never got my head around that . Know a few actual culchie Swedes too.
                                                                          I'd call Swedes fairly arrogant but maybe good reason to be.

Comment

I suspect you were actually told that by Finns. The mortal rotten-shark-eating enemies of the globally beloved Swedes.
                                                                            Isn't that the Icelanders?

They also smoke salmon over sheep shit.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Isn't that the Icelanders?

They also smoke salmon over sheep shit.
                                                                                  I was listening to a podcast on Iceland recently. Sort of a mix of anthropology and grappling. The intro started with a timeline of human migration.

60,000 years ago humans left Africa, made their way to Australia. Then to Europe and Asia. Crossed from Russia to North America and down to the remote southern tip of South America. Basically we were everywhere by about 15,000 years ago.
                                                                                  Everywhere except Iceland, which was uninhabited until just over 1000 years ago. The ones who eventually settled there must have been a bit mad.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                    funny my lads whatsapp group splintered the other day as prob 60 perecent in were like fuck this, no more corona talk and legit basically said if there is they will form a different group. presume thats happening all over the shop.
                                                                                    About seven weeks ago, I put five WhatsApp groups I'm in on mute. I initially did it for a weekend as I was still in work, up to my eye balls and eveyone else in the group was at home and sending even more messages than usual, mostly about Covid19 and after a week of dealing with crap in work around it, I couldn't face reading loads of messages about it at the weekend.

They have been muted every since, the numbers of messages has dropped back down to normal levels but it's actually bliss. No constant messages all day long - I pop into each group every so often and even now I can't help thinking how ridicilious it was that I was getting so many messages, rather than just checking it whenever I feel lke it.
                                                                                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 27-04-20, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
                                                                                      Sorry for late reply Nicky.
                                                                                      So we are playing a poker tournament in some hotel in Tramore (hotel is a generous name for it) and Nicky organiosed a game of golf for Tramore, Nick and marty Smith against Mick McCluskey and me.
                                                                                      I had played with Nicky before, but I had no idea what the 2 lads were like. Anyway, when I play golf, I like to use a buggy as I dont do that much exercise and 18 holes on a somewhat hilly course is a bit much for an unfit lad like me.
                                                                                      But Nicky informed that Tramore didnt do buggys, so I had to do with a pull trolley.

I wont go into the round in detail, but at the 1st, Mick was 90 yards out and we were chatting about his next shot, Trouble at the back of the green so i suggested a wedge or maybe 9 iron, but Mick takes out the 5 wood and lashes it . I then find out Mick never uses an iron, he has a wood for every shot.
                                                                                      Anyway, it was an enjoyable game and I was playingg quite well tbh, and i think myself and Mick turned 3 up. But as the back 9 went on, tiredness set in and the boys came roaring back to win the game. We shook hands on the 18th, and as we were walking back to the clubhouse, at the back of the clubhouse there is about 5 or 6 buggys parked up.
                                                                                      I says to Nicky "I thought you said they didnt have buggys here?" and Nicky roars laughing "you should never believe a poker player Connie"

Was a great laugh afterwards. But i think I got Nicky back when he drove from Waterford to Waterville for 2 days golf afterwards

Must have a game Nicky when the ban lifts,
                                                                                      Jeez Connie, are you sure it was a 90 yard shot? I know I wasn't the best player in the group, by a long shot, but I don't recall a time when I didn't use irons. To be fair, I still carry a 5 wood and a 7 wood as well as a rescue club along with a collection of irons.

Certainly enjoyed the day out and am champing at the bit to get out on the course again soon.
                                                                                      http://www.pokerinireland.net/

Comment

In depressing new (obvs not as depressing as people dying) but, I've had even more gigs postponed

Primavera Sound Nos (Porto)
                                                                                        Bon Iver
                                                                                        Caribou
                                                                                        Fontaines DC

All gone by the wayside until further notice

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                            In depressing new (obvs not as depressing as people dying) but, I've had even more gigs postponed

Primavera Sound Nos (Porto)
                                                                                            Bon Iver
                                                                                            Caribou
                                                                                            Fontaines DC

All gone by the wayside until further notice
                                                                                            Going to be a strange summer for me. Just waiting for EP to fall.

Silence form Primavera about Barcelona has been shocking

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                              Gabriel Gatehouse did a good report for Newsnight from Stockholm the other night.

A lot of grey about it for sure but the key thing is the Swedes almost automatically fall into line and exercise a sort of collective social responsibility that I fear is going to be difficult to attain here.
                                                                                              Didn't you say our introduction of second wave lockdown measures was just rubber-stamping steps everyone in Ireland decided to take on their own for the good of public health?

Comment

Do the group know you have muted them? As I'm in one or two groups it would be great to mute, but just don't want to annoy the particular people. Even though its them that are annoying me.
                                                                                                They dont see that you've muted it. Dont think I've been added to any group ever without just muting it straight away. Cursory glance every few days to skim over the nonsense is all I do.

Comment

I've decided to stop eating meat for the week out of boredom.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                    I've decided to stop eating meat for the week out of boredom.
                                                                                                    If fish is still fair game do yourself a favour and make Moqueca.
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      If fish is still fair game do yourself a favour and make Moqueca.
                                                                                                      Yeah gonna keep eating fish. That looks great, you make it with prawns or something else?

Comment

Their R value is not below one according to Imperial, although it does seem to be trending downward.

That model has Sweden with the second highest proportion of infections per population in Europe only trailing Belgium.

Last edited by Apache; 27-04-20, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Yeah gonna keep eating fish. That looks great, you make it with prawns or something else?
                                                                                                          Make it with a white fish and a smoked fish usually

Think that's the recipe I use I've done it a few times at this stage so not following the recipe
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                            Anyone have a general idea what formula and parameter values get us our R value of < 1 for Covid transmission rate?
                                                                                                            I think they may be using Imperial's models to estimate our R number. Prof Philip Nolan has mentioned that they have four models they use and this corresponds with Imperial's methods

specifically

which details the four models.

The graphs used in the Department of Health press releases about Estimated Reproduction Number are also identical to the ones used in the Imperial reports

This modelling data on COVID-19 in Ireland was presented at the Department of Health press briefing on Thursday 23 April 2020.

The only difference is that Imperial have our R number greater than one while Government data has it below one. This is likely due to the Irish models having more accurate death data, specifically the exact number of deaths on any given day.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              Make it with a white fish and a smoked fish usually

Think that's the recipe I use I've done it a few times at this stage so not following the recipe
                                                                                                              Was just saying to the missus we should do a fish pie this week. That will do nicely. Ty

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                Was just saying to the missus we should do a fish pie this week. That will do nicely. Ty
                                                                                                                Made a fish pie at the weekend, was amazing. moqueca is a go to mid week one for me, minimal effort maximum taste
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Senior Doc involved in the Swiss response has noted that basic measures did all the leg work there:

"These results are explosive: Both studies show that simple measures such as the renunciation of major events and the introduction of hygiene measures are highly effective. The population is able to implement these recommendations well and the measures can almost bring the epidemic to a halt. In any case, the measures are sufficient to protect our health system in such a way that the hospitals are not overburdened“.

Same in Germany:

Comment

Robintrack keeps track of how many Robinhood users hold a particular stock over time. It generates charts showing the relationship between price and popularity, and compiles some lists using the data.

thy're consistent.

Comment

Do the group know you have muted them? As I'm in one or two groups it would be great to mute, but just don't want to annoy the particular people. Even though its them that are annoying me.
                                                                                                                      I don't think so or at least nobody has ever commented on it to me in any of the groups.

They will know you have not read their message due to the absence of the two blue ticks but that's a different level of neady/stalker

Comment

The situation in India is very bad for a huge number of people. They are in lockdown like us. There are enormous numbers of day labourers who have no work, no income, and consequently no food for their families.

I get pictures sent daily by my Indian friend of him out delivering essential rations to the poorest of families who are literally starving due to the lockdown.

The worst hit are the poorest of the poor, the Dalit ("untouchable") community. If you can in any way afford it I urge you to donate to the charity Karuna which works with this community in India and Nepal. Here is their appeal on their website.

I have seen the costings that my friend sent me which had a breakdown of what the essential rations cost, it's tiny by our standards (as in €2.50 per family of 6/7 people). I bought a book last week for €30 on Amazon and felt guilty all week that I could have helped a dozen families not bloody starve by adding that to the amount I sent that week. For a bloody book!

Anyway, please consider helping our friends in India, any amount you can give will make a bigger difference than you could imagine. Cheers.

The Charity Appeal address again is:

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                          I don't think so or at least nobody has ever commented on it to me in any of the groups.

They will know you have not read their message due to the absence of the two blue ticks but that's a different level of neady/stalker

You can tell if someone has read your message by using the blue ticks in WhatsApp DM's but you don't get that in group messages.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X