This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Just don't go all Chinese parent on them, forbidding sports because schoolwork is what's important.
    I sense you and the wife aren't big into sports, do they have auntie/uncles who'd be bringing them to matches or pointing them towards local clubs, local soccer teams, cul camps etc.
    If not it's probably something you should think about rectifying. It's really much more than 'fundamentally a distraction'. Even as a simple example, it's a way to healthy widen your circle of friends.
    Without sport, you can end up at 40 where you are an accountant whose only friends are fellow accountants (spoiler, they are actually colleagues, not friends).
    Oh no absolutely not. They go to a French school so they don't even have homework (which has never been shown to have any positive impact on learning at primary level). I'm not big into schoolwork at all, that's for the teacher, I just like them to have a wide variety of extracurricular activities. A bit of sports, sure, and they'll definitely do cul camp next year, we were just too late this year. But why not use the extracurricular time to experiment and find what they like rather than just doing sport.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Am I being unreasonable?

Degree and masters/work qualifications. 20+ years experience. Likely people management experience and responsibilities. Living and working in Dublin….

If it ain’t happening then there’s a problem or a specific decision or reason imo.
      Meh. You go into finance. Or tech+management. Or medicine. Sure. But there's a massive chunk of people outside that. I think you're describing your mates who all earn about what you earn.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Surely you simply set the line at 0.00.
        Anyone before that definitely started before the gun
        anything later than zero may have anticipated it or may have unbelievably fast reaction times
        but it's at least possible they're legal so carry on.

Yeah, pretty much my point but Mellor does make a compelling point as to why it's 0.1 seconds.

Comment

Some actual numbers here from the CSO based on tax returns suggest there is a slight whiff to V4Vs ideas.

The 99th percentile (top 1%) of individual earners in Ireland in 2018 earned €166,000 on average per year.

The 98th percentile earned an average of €128,000.

The 97th percentile earned an average of €109.000.

The 96th percentile earned an average of €98,000.

Now maybe that happens to capture all eligible "degree and masters/work qualifications. 20+ years experience. Likely people management experience and responsibilities. Living and working in Dublin…." people, but I wonder. I'd say a lot of those high earners are 26 years old working for Facebook with two years experience. There just isn't the pay V thinks there is in Ireland.

I know V works with earnings data, but it must be skewed as those are the actual tax returns figures.

I think you can put aside the self-doubt Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Meh. You go into finance. Or tech+management. Or medicine. Sure. But there's a massive chunk of people outside that. I think you're describing your mates who all earn about what you earn.

​​​​​
            It’s subjective for sure but I do see a lot of salaries from a wide range of industries.

I have clients in tech, aviation, finance, manufacturing, pharma, semi states, charities, education sector, professional services, advertising, recruitment.….a bit of ambition allied to qualifications and experience adds up to a decent chunk of change around Dublin in my experience.

Less so outside the Dublin region but it’s changing too.

RichieM would be a good man to share a bit of insight.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Re the false start discussion.

Above website has a page that turns from red to green, you click when it turns green and it measures your speed of response.
              It gives an idea imo of just how unlikely it is that anyone could genuinely respond to the gun in less than .1 second (100 milliseconds).
              I haven't got close to 100 despite it being easier in theory because its visual rather than aural.

Comment

Some actual numbers here from the CSO based on tax returns suggest there is a slight whiff to V4Vs ideas.

The 99th percentile (top 1%) of individual earners in Ireland in 2018 earned €166,000 on average per year.

Now maybe that happens to capture all eligible "degree and masters/work qualifications. 20+ years experience. Likely people management experience and responsibilities. Living and working in Dublin…." people, but I wonder. I'd say a lot of those high earners are 26 years old working for Facebook with two years experience. There just isn't the pay V thinks there is in Ireland.

I know V works with earnings data, but it must be skewed as those are the actual tax returns figures.

I’ve looked at this data a lot previously because it just doesn’t add up to what I see. I look at people in organisations with a bit of ambition, qualifications and decent experience and they are generally making six figures. I allow for public sector and civil servants making a bit less as they get it back with superior pension benefits and and work/life balance. So they would look a bit less on the CSO data which is fair enough.

I do think there is a Dublin region versus the rest of the country thing going on with that data as well.

I remember once finding out a guy who was in his early 40s and an experienced accountant and he was only on 70kish and I was blown away by how underpaid he was. He stuck out as being so unusual.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

This is a great (old) thread on the roughest pubs in Dublin: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205...in-dublin-city

Comment

I’ve looked at this data a lot previously because it just doesn’t add up to what I see. I look at people in organisations with a bit of ambition, qualifications and decent experience and they are generally making six figures. I allow for public sector and civil servants making a bit less as they get it back with superior pension benefits and and work/life balance. So they would look a bit less on the CSO data which is fair enough.

I do think there is a Dublin region versus the rest of the country thing going on with that data as well.

I remember once finding out a guy who was in his early 40s and an experienced accountant and he was only on 70kish and I was blown away by how underpaid he was. He stuck out as being so unusual.
                    Not sure how the tax returns numbers could be wrong? Thats the official records and I doubt there is massive tax evasion.

I wonder if good pay is a bit like the art of achieving strong investment performance, which is 99.999% picking the right places to be, and 0.001% picking the right specific investments in the right places to be.

Similarly with careers - if you end up in the right sector, its unusual if pay doesn't work out, but its hard enough to choose those correct sectors beforehand.

I do think those tax returns numbers are correct though.
                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 02-08-21, 22:38.

Comment

……..
                      It might be an idea to eliminate some of the figures, say everyone who isn't declaring 900 hours a year. They are essentially part-timer workers and skew the percentiles.
                      I'm not sure if that's possible to ascertain with the published data though.

Comment

There's bias there in that the people V&V would see would be people earning a lot. Most people don't earn that much even with that experience. It's like going onto a forum earnings thread and seeing all the people post large salaries, as they are the ones that would be on there posting about their salaries. You can have amazing people with 20 years experience on under 100k in a smaller company or a grad on around 100k in google, there is a bit difference in the kind of company you are working for, and the field.

Comment

Not sure how the tax returns numbers could be wrong? Thats the official records and I doubt there is massive tax evasion.

I wonder if good pay is a bit like the art of achieving strong investment performance, which is 99.999% picking the right places to be, and 0.001% picking the right specific investments in the right places to be.

Similarly with careers - if you end up in the right sector, its unusual if pay doesn't work out, but its hard enough to choose those correct sectors beforehand.

I do think those tax returns numbers are correct though.
                          There’s a bit of truth in that. I guess I’m mentally stripping out folk working in retail, arts, hotels etc.

But if we filter folk to private sector employees who work in industries that are doing well then we create a better peer group. If you know you are working in one of those sectors why compare yourself to these poorly paid areas? Like you didn’t need to have a crystal ball to know that getting a fine arts masters and working in a gallery wasn’t going to make you a lot of cash.

I remember a fantastic English teacher of mine trying to convince me at age 16 to study English at university and I told him that was for middle class kids who had rich daddies.

Also the self employed and tech sector folk are likely building up equity or share options which aren’t fully captured in income data but would compensate for potentially having a lower income.

If I was self employed I’d probably only pay myself 60kpa and build up cash on the balance sheet and pay for everything I could through the business.

Comment

How much is a pint of milk, V ?!!

Comment

I have been ordering coffee from Ponaire for the last few months. I am a big fan of this one. Anyone ordering from elsewhere they would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                I'm saying it's not.
                                She's being punished because of a genetic mutation
                                Being punished compared to who? She can't compete in a women's division, for the same reasons that you or I can't.
                                What logically basis is here to let her compete in women's divisions as-is, against genetic females.

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                Surely you simply set the line at 0.00.
                                Anyone before that definitely started before the gun
                                anything later than zero may have anticipated it or may have unbelievably fast reaction times
                                but it's at least possible they're legal so carry on.
                                Anticipating the gun is going early is literally the definition of a false start. Having it at 0.0 instead of 0.1 is basically saying you can false start as long as you only get a small advantage.
                                Reaction times that fast are not unbelievable, they are impossible.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                Re the false start discussion.

Above website has a page that turns from red to green, you click when it turns green and it measures your speed of response.
                                It gives an idea imo of just how unlikely it is that anyone could genuinely respond to the gun in less than .1 second (100 milliseconds).
                                I haven't got close to 100 despite it being easier in theory because its visual rather than aural.
                                Good demonstration. Plus finger is a pretty small and fast acting muscle. Sub-0.2 is elite I would guess

Comment

V, having got a bunch of you highly concerned about your life choices, is about to announce his new self-help book release later today.

I am V, hear me roar will be available at a discounted advance rate of €999. Speaking tour dates to follow.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Who buys a pint of milk?

2l is 1.49 own brand 1.99 branded. Let no-one say I have lost touch with the common man (well, I'd rather not touch them but let's leave that aside).

Organic sourdough is €4 a loaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Who buys a pint of milk?

:
                                      Paying homage to the Brit tabloid gotcha phrasing
                                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Broke 300 on that finger thingy with the left finger. The right finger a bit slower . Anyone gets into the 100 should be dope tested

Comment

No meesing around in Fairyhouse this morning. So I assume I must have just been unlucky and hit a lunch time delay or something last time. Appt for 9.25 and already in the rest area so very efficient.

These nurses seem lovely but I hope thats the last I see of them and the end is nigh with this thing

Comment

I wonder, with the vaxxing program soon to be in wind-down territory, what we'll end up doing with the unvaxxed - will we end up paying\incentivizing them like in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                              No meesing around in Fairyhouse this morning. So I assume I must have just been unlucky and hit a lunch time delay or something last time. Appt for 9.25 and already in the rest area so very efficient.

These nurses seem lovely but I hope thats the last I see of them and the end is nigh with this thing
                                              When you mean the end does that include boosters every 6 months pzizer excecs must be creaming themselves. Still wearing poxy crap masks vaccination certs to go to a place ? If it’s not what will you do shrug shoulders and say I trust our public representatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                Broke 300 on that finger thingy with the left finger. The right finger a bit slower . Anyone gets into the 100 should be dope tested

SPOILER
                                                Had was DQ'd on the first 4 false starts. But got there on the 5th one

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

When you mean the end does that include boosters every 6 months pzizer excecs must be creaming themselves. Still wearing poxy crap masks vaccination certs to go to a place ? If it’s not what will you do shrug shoulders and say I trust our public representatives.
                                                  Mick, I've great time for ya but I'm not getting into that pony with you. I'm happy to do my bit for the moment and will evaluate the situation as it progresses like we all have.

Comment

Just rang about a driving test booked for the day after getting back from holidays and apparently there is a ten-day wait period needed for returning from abroad even if you are fully vaccinated.

So the road safety authority is imposing their own, no one else doing it, nationwide quarantine. wtf.

I'm joining #TeamSickpuppy(exceptfortheweirdfemaleweightlifter swithdicksstuff)

Comment

Comment

heh

Comment

I’ve got a chance now to give a lay mans review the Sparks brothers.
                                                          I guess thanks to CC I was fully braced to be disappointed. I had the eldest brother in tow and it was his birthday next day so primed for pints afterwards. Its starts off with some hasty and disjointed soundbites and comments from celebrity fans and it was a bit of a struggle to get into a viewing rhythm, with the pace , however you soon adjust . The Director is a big fan and the scope of their work is a huge odyssey of musical ups and downs but (I was amazed tbh) they were very scrupulous with their finances so could take any hits.
                                                          The director definitely indulged himself with this movie. I couldn’t help thinking he was damn right, it was an EPIC journey , one that I was ignorant to mostly. I had no idea there were in continuous reinvention for FIFTY YEARS , and I had no idea they had so much excellent music that obviously didn’t see the mainstream light of day. I was bowled over by the personality of Ron in particular. His on-stange persona was one of quiet amusement with his Hitler moustache and his posing wandering eyes . Off stage he was warm and funny and engaging , you couldn’t help but like him , and the creative heartbeat of SPARKS, that keps beating for so long. Amazing really. He would be great television with his personality imo. Ron and Russell together were addictive in interviews. Their relationship was like the polar opposite of the Gallaghers.. You just smiled whenever they spoke.
                                                          I wanted to hear more about their private life but they kept the door fairly closed on that , you only really got to understand the dynamic between them but nothing much else. Fair enough, adds to the mystique. I’d really recommend this for anyone and not just Sparks fans. I didn’t really consider myself a fanboy before it. I definitely am now

TL DR. Maybe only Benny be interested

Comment

Looking at 7 figure houses here for the craic, I assumed they would be great. They are dire. I assume the only people that can afford them are old and have terrible taste, there must be a tipping point where the price goes up the interiors start to deteriorate. Looking at new builds (didnt realise they would cost so much, damn son) and they are much better.

Comment

New builds are generally in piss-poor locations though. That's the #1 component of any house price, the location. A house that's 5 minutes walk of the Luas is always going to be smaller/in worse condition than a new build that's the same price but 25 minutes walk away.

Had a good night at the Chef's Table on Saturday night, the new main man stopped by a few times for a chat which was great. We were all stuffed by the end of the night, we must have been some of the last people in Chapter One at that stage and not sure if that played a part, but we ended up getting three different desserts (and after a 'pre-desert' sorbet), all lovely but I couldn't finish it all. I can't remember exactly all the dishes but had frozen gazpacho, scallops & caviar, lobster and a funky chicken dish (the only one that was a bit of a let down) in there. Got the wine pairing too so lots of chats with the sommelier as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                Looking at 7 figure houses here for the craic, I assumed they would be great. They are dire. I assume the only people that can afford them are old and have terrible taste, there must be a tipping point where the price goes up the interiors start to deteriorate. Looking at new builds (didnt realise they would cost so much, damn son) and they are much better.
                                                                Generally people buying them are spending another 25- 50% on top renovating I would imagine

Comment

I wonder, with the vaxxing program soon to be in wind-down territory, what we'll end up doing with the unvaxxed - will we end up paying\incentivizing them like in the US?
                                                                  I'm sure we have some uninhabited islands that they can be shipped off to.

Comment

V, having got a bunch of you highly concerned about your life choices, is about to announce his new self-help book release later today.

I am V, hear me roar will be available at a discounted advance rate of €999. Speaking tour dates to follow.

I paid a guy €750 per session for multiple two hour coaching sessions and I thought it was worth it. Sometimes we all need a kick in the arse. I'm giving it away free here....

Comment

Bundee Aki is a starting test Lion now. And he's not even good enough for Ireland.

Comment

Bundee is a Connacht legend, he can do whatever he wants, red card in the first 5 minutes of the Lions test and I won't think any less of him at all

Comment

Bundee Aki is a starting test Lion now. And he's not even good enough for Ireland.
                                                                          A bit harsh. Did a great job helping ireland winning a grand slam only a few years ago. I’d prefer a fully fit Ringrose and Henshaw but Aki and Henshaw is a good combo and should have started last week imo.

PS That side is screaming out for a fit Johnny Sexton. I guess putting Gatland and co in their boxes 4 years ago didn’t help him….

Comment

I’ve got a chance now to give a lay mans review the Sparks brothers.
                                                                            I guess thanks to CC I was fully braced to be disappointed. I had the eldest brother in tow and it was his birthday next day so primed for pints afterwards. Its starts off with some hasty and disjointed soundbites and comments from celebrity fans and it was a bit of a struggle to get into a viewing rhythm, with the pace , however you soon adjust . The Director is a big fan and the scope of their work is a huge odyssey of musical ups and downs but (I was amazed tbh) they were very scrupulous with their finances so could take any hits.
                                                                            The director definitely indulged himself with this movie. I couldn’t help thinking he was damn right, it was an EPIC journey , one that I was ignorant to mostly. I had no idea there were in continuous reinvention for FIFTY YEARS , and I had no idea they had so much excellent music that obviously didn’t see the mainstream light of day. I was bowled over by the personality of Ron in particular. His on-stange persona was one of quiet amusement with his Hitler moustache and his posing wandering eyes . Off stage he was warm and funny and engaging , you couldn’t help but like him , and the creative heartbeat of SPARKS, that keps beating for so long. Amazing really. He would be great television with his personality imo. Ron and Russell together were addictive in interviews. Their relationship was like the polar opposite of the Gallaghers.. You just smiled whenever they spoke.
                                                                            I wanted to hear more about their private life but they kept the door fairly closed on that , you only really got to understand the dynamic between them but nothing much else. Fair enough, adds to the mystique. I’d really recommend this for anyone and not just Sparks fans. I didn’t really consider myself a fanboy before it. I definitely am now

TL DR. Maybe only Benny be interested
                                                                            Solks, I always wondering what the craic was with your posts being a different font. kinda just assumed that you just did it as a signature of sorts. But the other you you made a comment to LL who had lost a post to the gerbils grinding the gears around here, about drafting elsewhere first. Then it dawned on me, you're typing it Word and Calibri is the default over there.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                              New builds are generally in piss-poor locations though. That's the #1 component of any house price, the location. A house that's 5 minutes walk of the Luas is always going to be smaller/in worse condition than a new build that's the same price but 25 minutes walk away.

Had a good night at the Chef's Table on Saturday night, the new main man stopped by a few times for a chat which was great. We were all stuffed by the end of the night, we must have been some of the last people in Chapter One at that stage and not sure if that played a part, but we ended up getting three different desserts (and after a 'pre-desert' sorbet), all lovely but I couldn't finish it all. I can't remember exactly all the dishes but had frozen gazpacho, scallops & caviar, lobster and a funky chicken dish (the only one that was a bit of a let down) in there. Got the wine pairing too so lots of chats with the sommelier as well.
                                                                              Most of the places I’ve eaten out over the last while have been bang average. The key criteria being having space and serving something we could eat which is a fairly low bar.

Really nice to go somewhere good Paul. Were there many signs of the influence of the new guy on the menu versus your previous experiences there?

Comment

A bit harsh. Did a great job helping ireland winning a grand slam only a few years ago. I’d prefer a fully fit Ringrose and Henshaw but Aki and Henshaw is a good combo and should have started last week imo.

PS That side is screaming out for a fit Johnny Sexton. I guess putting Gatland and co in their boxes 4 years ago didn’t help him….
                                                                                I'm sorry, he has never been of Test quality. Ever.

He's honest and likable but has feck all attacking skills, can't kick and is always likely to give away stupid pens\cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Solks, I always wondering what the craic was with your posts being a different font. kinda just assumed that you just did it as a signature of sorts. But the other you you made a comment to LL who had lost a post to the gerbils grinding the gears around here, about drafting elsewhere first. Then it dawned on me, you're typing it Word and Calibri is the default over there.
                                                                                  If it's long. I type it on the phone then paste. I wouldnt have the patience to restore if lost plus I type off the top of my head so the post would be lost in my head also. I mostly access through the phone so hence my posts are often strewn with grammar errors and lazy points.

Comment

Most of the places I’ve eaten out over the last while have been bang average. The key criteria being having space and serving something we could eat which is a fairly low bar.

Really nice to go somewhere good Paul. Were there many signs of the influence of the new guy on the menu versus your previous experiences there?
                                                                                    Hmmm, hard for me to say as the old menu was equally away from my comfort zone as Saturday's dishes! There was no 'old reliable' beef or pork dish, which has featured any of the other times I ate there, so maybe that's one change, but who knows, might be different in a month's time.

What was interesting was how little the experience changed from previously. You wear a mask on the way in, get your temperature checked and vaccine cert checked, but that takes less than a minute and isn't a bother at all. Then mask off for the following few hours and no change from how it was previously. The folks working in the kitchen have masks, but they are pulling them up and down all the time based on if they are talking to each other, where in the kitchen they are, etc... Very easy to forget all about COVID, which is great.

Comment

He's honest and likable but has feck all attacking skills, can't kick and is always likely to give away stupid pens\cards.
                                                                                      He’s still 3rd or 4th best centre in ireland for me. Farrell has gone backwards in munster. Big Stuey in ulster isn’t close to it.

The quality of centres in the other 3Ns is also pretty average. Davies in wales is very good but he’s had a lot of injuries, the Scottish 13 is good but he’s not a physical option at 12.

I’d love to see Frawley getting a proper run at 12 at Leinster. A cracking player that I think is being wasted by the Irish and Leinster systems.

Comment

Does that record people who are working as day rate contractors accurately, I would imagine it doesnt but I would guess they account for about half of the tech and finance people making over 100k.

likewise other business owners/self employed.

In terms of permanent salaries in tech - there is a much bigger percentage that plateau in the 80k-100k band than people expect. The numbers of engineers actually on over 100k is pretty small in Dublin if they are not interested in the leadership/mgt area.

Once people break that 100k mark getting to 140/150 seems to be a lot more common tho. Over 200k is a very small group.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Does that record people who are working as day rate contractors accurately, I would imagine it doesnt but I would guess they account for about half of the tech and finance people making over 100k.

likewise other business owners/self employed.

In terms of permanent salaries in tech - there is a much bigger percentage that plateau in the 80k-100k band than people expect. The numbers of engineers actually on over 100k is pretty small in Dublin if they are not interested in the leadership/mgt area.

Once people break that 100k mark getting to 140/150 seems to be a lot more common tho. Over 200k is a very small group.

It’s PAYE only and includes part timers.

Any views from your colleagues on the non tech sectors?

PS what is the value of share awards beyond the three year tax effective stuff which I assume are standard for everyone in tech.
                                                                                          Last edited by V for Vendetta; 03-08-21, 12:43.

Comment

Need to move ship for 3 months while building works are being done but will need to get wifi in for temporary home. Anyone do short term wifi options vs the usual 12 month contracts with Virgin etc?

Comment

Not sure about that! When he's cut loose with Connacht he has attacking skills to beat the band, can offload with the best of them. For Ireland, it seems he's often been assigned a different role as bish-bash merchant taking the ball into contact. No idea if his more open Connacht play is of test quality or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                Need to move ship for 3 months while building works are being done but will need to get wifi in for temporary home. Anyone do short term wifi options vs the usual 12 month contracts with Virgin etc?
                                                                                                Virgin have a 30 day contract for €60 a month: https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband...dom-broadband/

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Virgin have a 30 day contract for €60 a month: https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband...dom-broadband/
                                                                                                  Perfect- didnt know they offered that.

Comment

If it's long. I type it on the phone then paste. I wouldnt have the patience to restore if lost plus I type off the top of my head so the post would be lost in my head also. I mostly access through the phone so hence my posts are often strewn with grammar errors and lazy points.
                                                                                                    Phone poster here too.
                                                                                                    The restore post feature has saved my sanity a few times. But it’s about as reliable as the multi quote function.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                      Working for home on 4G at the mo. 160mbps on GoMo Using old phone as router. €12.99 pm. Month by month contract.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

He’s still 3rd or 4th best centre in ireland for me. Farrell has gone backwards in munster. Big Stuey in ulster isn’t close to it.

The quality of centres in the other 3Ns is also pretty average. Davies in wales is very good but he’s had a lot of injuries, the Scottish 13 is good but he’s not a physical option at 12.

I’d love to see Frawley getting a proper run at 12 at Leinster. A cracking player that I think is being wasted by the Irish and Leinster systems.
                                                                                                        You didn't mention the best 12 in Ireland.

Comment

Tried to pay motor tax Sat and it failed verification.
                                                                                                          On hold for 30 mins to get through to Open 24.
                                                                                                          Fucker makes up some bollox about it being the Motor Tax site problem, that they weren't set up properly for PSD2 which was an utter lie. I was saying it's the same with Revolut and hes compounds the lie with "they're having problems too"
                                                                                                          Should have nailed it there and then but just wasnt sure enough.

Rang again today on hold for 20 and got disconnected.

Redial and on hold for 25 mins before its answered.

So apparently all I have to do is access a PC or laptop and change my password.
                                                                                                          I dont have either so down to local branch to use theirs.

Pensioner sitting at the PC with the bank customer service girl patiently explaining "so you need to use a capital letter then a small letter"
                                                                                                          "no, no its the big letter then it's a small letter"
                                                                                                          "Press this button now press the letter, that's the big letter!, now press this button"

5 minutes later and we're still on big letter, small letter so aborted mission and fucked off home

on my way down again to bank
                                                                                                          have visions of bank girl with sleeves rolled up, on her 5th cigarette loding it going "not that fupping button, this fupping button"
                                                                                                          "that's the same fupping button you pressed before"
                                                                                                          Last edited by dinekes; 03-08-21, 13:55.

Comment

Jaysus Hitch, V ? You dont know the price yourself. For V you'd get IV litres maybe more .

Comment

Have a few hours to waste, so am sitting in a pub. Not 100% convinced that a steady diet of coca cola is all that great and not drinking drinking. But to their credit they have about ten different non-alcohol menus. 'Drink'in the Sun' is the choice for today. It's very very good. Stone Roses playing loudly in the background

Comment

Are you deliberately testing your willpower?

Comment

Who buys a pint of milk?

2l is 1.49 own brand 1.99 branded. Let no-one say I have lost touch with the common man (well, I'd rather not touch them but let's leave that aside).

Organic sourdough is €4 a loaf.
                                                                                                                  Barista Oatmilk - €2.49
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I had dinner in Circa in Terenure on Sunday night. Haven't eaten there in almost two years as we were last there not long after they opened.

My starter was a little bit 'meh' but I'll forgive them as all the other 5 courses were spot on - so much so that Mrs Lao Lao didn't even offer me a bite of two of them. Nothing overly ambitious or fancy about the menu, just really well coked food that was very tasty.

It may be my memory getting worse with age but I think prices were up a bit on the last visit plus they had a 12.5% service charge automatically added on which I don't recall being there before. That said, the service was excellent and we added a cash tip to the service charge as overall, it was a very enjoyable night out.

Comment

Are you deliberately testing your willpower?
                                                                                                                      Is that aimed at me? I don't think so. Haven't thought about beer in about two years. Pubs are handy enough for having loads of space though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I had dinner in Circa in Terenure on Sunday night. Haven't eaten there in almost two years as we were last there not long after they opened.

My starter was a little bit 'meh' but I'll forgive them as all the other 5 courses were spot on - so much so that Mrs Lao Lao didn't even offer me a bite of two of them. Nothing overly ambitious or fancy about the menu, just really well coked food that was very tasty.

It may be my memory getting worse with age but I think prices were up a bit on the last visit plus they had a 12.5% service charge automatically added on which I don't recall being there before. That said, the service was excellent and we added a cash tip to the service charge as overall, it was a very enjoyable night out.
                                                                                                                        That's just ruining it for everyone. Making the 12.5% service tip a base minimum on which to tip on top, rather than a highly acceptable tip in a country that already has a very high minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Pensioner sitting at the PC with the bank customer service girl patiently explaining "so you need to use a capital letter then a small letter"
                                                                                                                          "no, no its the big letter then it's a small letter"
                                                                                                                          "Press this button now press the letter, that's the big letter!, now press this button"

5 minutes later and we're still on big letter, small letter so aborted mission and fucked off home

on my way down again to bank
                                                                                                                          have visions of bank girl with sleeves rolled up, on her 5th cigarette loding it going "not that fupping button, this fupping button"
                                                                                                                          "that's the same fupping button you pressed before"

Reading this is like describing myself and my Dad. Had to explain to him about half a dozen times yesterday how to turn on/off the TV - 'You press the big red button on the top left of the remote' and then proceed to demonstrate it a few times so he knew it was right

Old age is a complete and utter cunt of the highest order.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X