• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

You aren't.
    Don't see any problem with calling out the issues with accommodation and services. There was an interesting moment on the radio where someone, it might have been Karl Dieter, came out with a spiel about stopping and meeting protestors and asking them and did a convincing job of rationalising their concerns and warned about name calling and labelling them as far right etc. then he went immediately on to name calling and labelling the people who were protesting on the pro immigration side yesterday.

It's probably impossible to have a rational conversation about it, and won't get easier as more people arrive and the struggle to shelter them gets ever more difficult.

Probably going to have to do something radical like quick build temporary housing, containers and or tents distributed around the country proportionately to school populations with no opt outs and no planning.
    One thing to bear in mind; if we, as a society, lose our cohesiveness over this issue that is exactly what Putin, our enemy, wants. We've seen this done most effectively over things like Brexit and Trump, you can bet your bottom dollar the RuSSians are actively stirring the online pot right now too. Don't fall for it.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
    Think I’ll give it a rest - obviously coming across all skinhead citizen journalist-
    You aren't.
    Don't see any problem with calling out the issues with accommodation and services. There was an interesting moment on the radio where someone, it might have been Karl Dieter, came out with a spiel about stopping and meeting protestors and asking them and did a convincing job of rationalising their concerns and warned about name calling and labelling them as far right etc. then he went immediately on to name calling and labelling the people who were protesting on the pro immigration side yesterday.

It's probably impossible to have a rational conversation about it, and won't get easier as more people arrive and the struggle to shelter them gets ever more difficult.

Probably going to have to do something radical like quick build temporary housing, containers and or tents distributed around the country proportionately to school populations with no opt outs and no planning.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Think I’ll give it a rest - obviously coming across all skinhead citizen journalist- no more posts from me on this

Think I’ll go for a walk in the new park that was built with all the Dubs money
    Last edited by MysteryGuest; 19-02-23, 21:22.

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Best of luck today Dobby.
    Cheers mate. Bust 45th for €770. Delighted with the run after a nightmare day 1.

Leave a comment:

• NewApproach
    replied
    Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
    I also happened upon a post and stepped out a 5 year poker retirement… a surprisingly tolerable experience, I must be mellowing
    Bust this in 20 somethingth. Nice to scratch that itch again

Leave a comment:

• Opr
    replied
    Good interview/article on Bernie Sanders in today's Guardian.

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
    Pretty interesting read on the use of consumer drones in the current war

People crowdfunding to send the largely Chinese made drones to both sides.
    Also, one of the mostly used drones that is Chinese has the capability for the Chinese to restrict its use in certain territories.
    They limited its use in Syria before but no intervention here.
    fascinating article, thanks for sharing, here's a working link https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/02/16...warfare-china/

Leave a comment:

• Murdrum
    replied
    Pretty interesting read on the use of consumer drones in the current war

People crowdfunding to send the largely Chinese made drones to both sides.
    Also, one of the mostly used drones that is Chinese has the capability for the Chinese to restrict its use in certain territories.
    They limited its use in Syria before but no intervention here.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    On the other hand, who's footing the bill? I'd imagine most of the country is a net beneficiary of the government, and it's mostly parts of Dublin (maybe Cork) that pay the tax bill.
    One county is responsible for ~60% of all tax receipts.

The dirty bastards up above in Dublin that they are.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Best of luck today Dobby.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    I’m not being critical of people not taking people into their homes at all here or even offering up spare houses -that’s a personal decision it’s not going to work for a lot of people- I’m talking about the large concentrated drops of people into hotels etc.

I find it difficult to believe their isn’t more suitable places in south Dublin especially when you see the poor standard of some of the places people are being put up in down the country.

the town I live next to now has a population that is around 20-25% Ukrainian most of whom are in hotels- . There’s been no marches or issues that I’m aware of aside from a recent vaguely worded “March against what’s happening in our community “ that received no support. And the only from negative I’ve heard anyone say was from a Ukrainian.

I think this is mostly a cost and availability issue. Dublin hotel and accommodation market is in short supply. I'm sure those NIMBY wouldn't be slow in organising opposition though.

On the other hand, who's footing the bill? I'd imagine most of the country is a net beneficiary of the government, and it's mostly parts of Dublin (maybe Cork) that pay the tax bill.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    I’m not being critical of people not taking people into their homes at all here or even offering up spare houses -that’s a personal decision it’s not going to work for a lot of people- I’m talking about the large concentrated drops of people into hotels etc.

I find it difficult to believe their isn’t more suitable places in south Dublin especially when you see the poor standard of some of the places people are being put up in down the country.

the town I live next to now has a population that is around 20-25% Ukrainian most of whom are in hotels- . There’s been no marches or issues that I’m aware of aside from a recent vaguely worded “March against what’s happening in our community “ that received no support. And the only from negative I’ve heard anyone say was from a Ukrainian.

Leave a comment:

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied
    Originally posted by dobby View Post

I just got a whatsapp call from an English guy in Turin using Hitchs phone who is trying to get Hitch back to his hotel because he's black out drunk and it wasn't going well with the Italians

Think I might have been his last messaf received on WhatsApp, hence the guy calling me.

Going well it seems.
    Do we have an embarassed emoji is that good enough

Leave a comment:

• luckforsome
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

We paid just under 9k for a bigger house. It's a big job and you're better off out of the place while it's happening.
    ... Thank you - we were quoted something completely different to the amounts you 2 have said... also, I'll be in for Cheltenham

Leave a comment:

• dinekes
    replied

Fuck all- what’s your point
    Well you seem to be critical of Ranelaghs contribution to the crisis. 51 refugees housed as a number doesn't seen a lot but Ranelagh has a tiny population compared to Tallaght.

I know a number of people there who offered their homes up to house refugees. It's hardly their fault the system to get them into the homes has broken down.

And if you are critical of other people's contributions is it not a fair question to ask what have you done.

​​​

Leave a comment:

• The Istanbul
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    This could be a most enjoyable development to follow.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/...-declarations/
    Thats what happens when you choose accountants on price rather than value

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    Was in City West last evening . About 50 or so refugees walking around the overflow car park in circles whilst others standing on the fairway of the former 18 green. Felt the sheer tedious vibe hit me. Probably held respectable jobs and decent lives before being herded away for their own safety.
    2023 and humans stink as much as they've ever done . Kind of disheartening that some many of us that stink are Irish.
    We need to remember that the war will end. RuSSia is busily getting as many of its men killed as possible and denuding what's left of their resources without making anything but tiny gains. They've been trying to take Bakhmut for what, 9 months now?
    When the next wave of NATO weaponry lands in Ukrainian hands in a few short weeks, we'll see a decisive shift on the battlefield.

We need to remember that we're at war with Putin too. He's been practicing hybrid warfare against the West for a long time. The Ukrainians happen to be the ones doing the actual fighting, and dying, on our behalf. The least we can do is help to look after their refugees without succumbing to nativist bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• Solksjaer!
    replied
    Was in City West last evening . About 50 or so refugees walking around the overflow car park in circles whilst others standing on the fairway of the former 18 green. Felt the sheer tedious vibe hit me. Probably held respectable jobs and decent lives before being herded away for their own safety.
    2023 and humans stink as much as they've ever done . Kind of disheartening that some many of us that stink are Irish.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied

that doesnt take away from the fact that we have a serious issue with our ability to provide for the amount of people now arriving now and no semblance of a plan for intermediate/long term aside from crippling our tourist industry it seems- the Ukrainians aren’t going anywhere soon as contrary of the what you read here Ukraine are not on the cusp of victory and Putin still hasn’t succumbed to bone cancer/dementia/parkinsons/overthrow by all the liberal peace loving Kremlin insiders. What’s the plan- let them rot in Roscommon ?.
    We are at war, so far it's a phoney way but it is a war.

lads waving placards saying no borders/nations is helping how.
    Putting out a more positive message, than Ireland is full, we can't cope, there is no hope

thought overall we’ve done pretty well integrating Eastern Europeans/0eople from western and southern African countries over past 20 years- at least most normal Irish people have good luck finding many in the official Ireland cosy number protected professions
    Been in a hospital or an IT business lately?

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post

You might have a different perspective if you lived in a town that now had 2 Ukrainians for every person who lived their 2 years ago. Where it now takes 10 days to get a doctors appointment. Where the seasonal tourism work that used to support your family has dried up because the vast majority of tourism accommodation is now no longer used to support the local economy.

Significant economic pain due to this policy decision is real even when it doesn't impact you. A reality here is that the social and economic imoact of "helping" is tightly focused in specific lower income areas.

That is clearly inequitable.
    My mother in law's town has a similar profile. Although it's far enough off the beaten track that there was never any tourism work in the first place (East Galway). Half of the kids are playing GAA now.

As Laz says, it's an emergency and the nature of this one is that the available accomodation isn't in more affluent areas as by their nature, that's where there is the least available accomodation. Ukrainians are being accomdated in rural towns because there's available accomodation there. There's no sinister plot.
    There's a family of Ukrainians three doors down from me btw. My 86 y\o neighbour opened up her house to them. Similar stories all over Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Bout €8000
    for full rewire
    sent u a couple of names
    check your inbox
    We paid just under 9k for a bigger house. It's a big job and you're better off out of the place while it's happening.

Leave a comment:

• Western_Sean
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

"we should definitely help, but it should be specifically the people over there that help" is not much better than an attitude of "I simply don't want to help"
    You might have a different perspective if you lived in a town that now had 2 Ukrainians for every person who lived their 2 years ago. Where it now takes 10 days to get a doctors appointment. Where the seasonal tourism work that used to support your family has dried up because the vast majority of tourism accommodation is now no longer used to support the local economy.

Significant economic pain due to this policy decision is real even when it doesn't impact you. A reality here is that the social and economic imoact of "helping" is tightly focused in specific lower income areas.

That is clearly inequitable.

Leave a comment:

• Degag
    replied
    Speaking of toilets

witnessed a fella wash his hands before going into a cubicle and doing his business.

Emphasis on ‘before’

Didn’t wait to see if he washed after

Leave a comment:

• Degag
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Not if they’re full…
    Well they’ll be full of toilet paper to try and mind them i guess

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Brother offered a house ...Dublin 6 elite

What have you done
    Fuck all- what’s your point

Leave a comment:

• dinekes
    replied

I think it’s abhorrent too. The “citizen journalists “ hanging around hotels are twats as are the stream of gimps commenting under any posts about and Irish sprinter winning a race etc

that doesnt take away from the fact that we have a serious issue with our ability to provide for the amount of people now arriving now and no semblance of a plan for intermediate/long term aside from crippling our tourist industry it seems- the Ukrainians aren’t going anywhere soon as contrary of the what you read here Ukraine are not on the cusp of victory and Putin still hasn’t succumbed to bone cancer/dementia/parkinsons/overthrow by all the liberal peace loving Kremlin insiders. What’s the plan- let them rot in Roscommon ?
    lads waving placards saying no borders/nations is helping how
    thought overall we’ve done pretty well integrating Eastern Europeans/0eople from western and southern African countries over past 20 years- at least most normal Irish people have good luck finding many in the official Ireland cosy number protected professions
    Anyway should have known better than to post about this on the internet.
    Brother offered a house ...Dublin 6 elite

What have you done

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Originally posted by Degag View Post
    Random question… any idea if you can take pint glasses in hand luggage. Am appalled by dublin prices and figure my soul will survive if i steal some
    Not if they’re full…

Leave a comment:

• Degag
    replied
    Random question… any idea if you can take pint glasses in hand luggage. Am appalled by dublin prices and figure my soul will survive if i steal some

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Bout €8000
    for full rewire
    sent u a couple of names
    check your inbox
    ABC

Always
    Be
    Closing

Some man

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied

I think it’s abhorrent too. The “citizen journalists “ hanging around hotels are twats as are the stream of gimps commenting under any posts about and Irish sprinter winning a race etc

that doesnt take away from the fact that we have a serious issue with our ability to provide for the amount of people now arriving now and no semblance of a plan for intermediate/long term aside from crippling our tourist industry it seems- the Ukrainians aren’t going anywhere soon as contrary of the what you read here Ukraine are not on the cusp of victory and Putin still hasn’t succumbed to bone cancer/dementia/parkinsons/overthrow by all the liberal peace loving Kremlin insiders. What’s the plan- let them rot in Roscommon ?
    Nah man, you have a really good point. It's pretty clear your argument is about as far away from racism/xenophobia as it can get.

How do you plan effectively for such a situation though. An emergency.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the optics. It does seem more affluent areas are spared from the burden.

Leave a comment:

• balfejohn
    replied
    Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
    ... Jasus it's been awhile since I ventured into the BBV... Might make a cup of Tea and read back the last 30 pages... A question for the BBV...
    ... Roughly how much would it cost to have the a rewired... 3 bed, attic, 2 living rooms, kitchen, utility room, bathroom and attic... Keeping all floors and walls so understand it's a case of taking floors up then putting back down...

...also, would anyone here highly recommend an electrician, or any lurk here that would be interested in having a look and giving a quote... Potentially more work to go with it as well...
    Bout €8000
    for full rewire
    sent u a couple of names
    check your inbox

Leave a comment:

• luckforsome
    replied
    ... Jasus it's been awhile since I ventured into the BBV... Might make a cup of Tea and read back the last 30 pages... A question for the BBV...
    ... Roughly how much would it cost to have the a rewired... 3 bed, attic, 2 living rooms, kitchen, utility room, bathroom and attic... Keeping all floors and walls so understand it's a case of taking floors up then putting back down...

...also, would anyone here highly recommend an electrician, or any lurk here that would be interested in having a look and giving a quote... Potentially more work to go with it as well...

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Misery guests or refugees ?

I think its abhorrent the noise from the anti immigration groups . Whataboutism as an excuse for hate.

Last edited by MysteryGuest; 18-02-23, 21:37.

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied

24 hours difference
    Haha, what a headbanger

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied

I just got a whatsapp call from an English guy in Turin using Hitchs phone who is trying to get Hitch back to his hotel because he's black out drunk and it wasn't going well with the Italians

Think I might have been his last messaf received on WhatsApp, hence the guy calling me.

Going well it seems.
    No fucking way, really?

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Arrived in Turin yesterday at 5pm. Dinner eaten by 6:30pm. Back to the hotel and by 7pm was wondering when is it too early to sleep. The times are achanging. For the worse clearly.
    24 hours difference

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Hitch better not have fallen asleep.

Going well it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Hitch better not have fallen asleep.

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    On a Breaking Bad rewatch and last night's ep was the magnet.

'YEAHHH MAGNETS'

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    They were pretty steady all evening though. So you'd get a game any time

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    Were there many cash games going in the ACOP?
    About 12 tables as of midnight last night. And more opening up as dealers became free.

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Were there many cash games going in the ACOP?

Leave a comment:

replied
    My parting thought from the class.

I was sitting down with the ridiculously hottest of hot Russian girls (LADIES for CC) and she had this look where she looked me up and down and then stared at me. I don't know, but it was a weird feeling like I was being objectified. It's not allowed to work this way, no?

If I might be allowed to roll out my American Psycho voice for a moment, I think it's my suit. Like it's so fucking brilliant. I'm so hot in my suit is my only possible conclusion.

I should, at this point refer you to my previous point about drunkeness.​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

replied
    I seem to have managed to go from finished class at 1pm to glorious drunken wreck in five hours. A wee bit apprehensive as to what the brain will suggest next.

Leave a comment:

• Solksjaer!
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Solksjaer! , saw this buddy of yours in Dun Laoighaire earlier. Looking well!

20230218_141246.jpg
    An excuse for the Octopus jig.

Leave a comment:

• Solksjaer!
    replied

Good to se we are in agreement
    Misery guests or refugees ?

I think its abhorrent the noise from the anti immigration groups . Whataboutism as an excuse for hate.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied

It really calls Mary Loo's judgement into question. Completely self-inflicted own goal and makes her look very stupid indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Solksjaer! , saw this buddy of yours in Dun Laoighaire earlier. Looking well!

20230218_141246.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied

"we should definitely help, but it should be specifically the people over there that help" is not much better than an attitude of "I simply don't want to help"
    Good to se we are in agreement

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well this looks rather cool, even if the ratings themselves are a bit lukewarm. Anything with Hank Azaria tends to be class.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Meant to add we definitely have an obligation to take some pain to help people fleeing war /persecution but when the burden is not shouldered equally or things are done in an underhanded/incompetent way how can people be surprised that there is a backlash -which can then be exploited by more sinister actors.

Leave a comment:

• NewApproach
    replied

You think they'd have learned by now when best to keep shtum...

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Meant to add we definitely have an obligation to take some pain to help people fleeing war /persecution but when the burden is not shouldered equally or things are done in an underhanded/incompetent way how can people be surprised that there is a backlash -which can then be exploited by more sinister actors.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Says a lot about the level of discourse that is permitted in the media especially in likes of Irish times that the sentence in bold made it into an article I read in the journal.
    the shock that people who are not far right might have concerns.
    You will see a lot of “no nations ,no borders” placards at the protest today and there will be a lot of fairly radical NGO involvement - very naive stuff and certain government departments pandering to this stuff isn’t helping anyone- refugees who end up in decaying shitbox hotels included. There’s been a lack of transparency around what is going on which opens up space for some of the wilder conspiracy theories . Pretty much anything that isn’t cheerleading taking in unlimited migrants gets painted as problematic by the NGOs and amplifiers in the Irish times.

we definitely have an obligation to take some pain to help people fleeing war /persecution but when the burden is not shouldered equally or things are done in an underhanded/incompetent way how can people be surprised that there is a backlash -which can then be exploited by more sinister actors.

“The big one on doorsteps is immigration. Even from ‘normal’ people,” said one, stating that constituents in the area who are not members of the far-right are raising concerns.

They said housing is a constant concern at the clinics, but the issue of immigration has “just taken off”.

TDs who spoke to The Journal said they want to play their part in countering misinformation that is being spread in their community, but without factual information being provided by the Integration Department, they are running into trouble.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Isn't the distribution of emergency accommodation a function of the number of vacant properties, underused hotels and institutions etc. rather than anything sinister?
    Plenty of those in leafy parts of Dublin too
    places used near me wouldn’t be vacant or underused in summer months I’m sure there’s plenty like that in portmarnock, ballsbridge (jury’s etc). I know there’s been some mealy mouthed excuses about suitability of jury’s but it can’t be any worse than some of the absolute dives being used elsewhere in country.
    The fact that there’s not many refugees/direct provision in those parts is Dublin is just a continuation of the do as I say not as I do NIMBY culture of those areas. Wind farms, mild building disruption for public transport , direct provision centres , mild personal sacrifices or living standard decreases to fight climate change are all for the little people

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Bagged 254k. Back Sunday at midday to 3k/6k. A wild ride that was today. Crippled twice at different points, including being down to 15k at 1k/2k after an AK v A6 car crash on A62 flop and just hung in there and grinded until I got a gin hand.

Utg1 shoved. I'm in cutoff with King's and shove. Last time I did this I showed 55 v AQ and held. So button calls with Queens and bb comes along with 88. Utg1 has 99 and we hold in a 4 way all in for 270k in the 2nd last level of the night.
    Very nice! Best of luck!

I lasted a couple more levels before running my weak ace into AQ preflop. Next bb + ante was going to be a quarter of my stack.

I might play the 300 next Saturday too.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    This is why “the far right” getting an audience in some communities , dump people in the already resource starved areas, subtly block them from landing on you own doorstep because you can do it with a nod and a wink- then gaslight anyone who expressed even reasonable concerns and lump them in with the “Ireland is Full” crew.

Figures released by the Department of Integration to Social Democrats TD Gary Gannon have confirmed what we already knew: the wealthiest neighbourhoods have the fewest Ukrainian war refugees and asylum seekers living among them. There are 3,335 refugees and asylum seekers being housed in Dublin 24, encompassing Tallaght, where the unemployment rate in some areas is more than 30 per cent compared to the national level of 4.4 per cent.

Dublin 6, which embraces desirable Ranelagh, has just 51 refugees and international protection applicants. The affluent, coastal constituencies of Dublin Bay South and Dún Laoghaire have the smallest numbers of such residents.
    Isn't the distribution of emergency accommodation a function of the number of vacant properties, underused hotels and institutions etc. rather than anything sinister?

Leave a comment:

• MysteryGuest
    replied
    It’s the same cunts in The richer parts of Dublin who oppose everything that might make it a more liveable city for the majority who make sure nothing that even minimally pierces their bubble lands near their door
    look at people trying to nobble the Metro because it means some memorial in Stephen’s green for 1916 most people don’t know exists might have to be moved. Or making out it will desecrate Stephen’s green having some metro exits emerge on the footpaths outside park.

Leave a comment:

• dinekes
    replied

Make yourself known on Sunday

​​​​If I venture out I'll pop over and say hello....you will be far too busy on the FT though working out a chop with Denny!!

Leave a comment:

• limpwhacker
    replied
    Bagged 254k. Back Sunday at midday to 3k/6k. A wild ride that was today. Crippled twice at different points, including being down to 15k at 1k/2k after an AK v A6 car crash on A62 flop and just hung in there and grinded until I got a gin hand.

Utg1 shoved. I'm in cutoff with King's and shove. Last time I did this I showed 55 v AQ and held. So button calls with Queens and bb comes along with 88. Utg1 has 99 and we hold in a 4 way all in for 270k in the 2nd last level of the night.
    Well done gl on Sunday

Leave a comment:

Working...
X