Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Sean O'Rourke paying the price now too

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Enda Kenny seems to be the only one there with a functioning brain in his head.

I wonder what Kayroo's take on Seamus Woulfe is here?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
            Hey folks been awhile since I've checked in hope everybody has been keeping well

As the majority of you will know I found photography through doing live updates on IPB and been fortunate to have worked steady for the last number of years, I had some worked lined up for the year but Covid put the kibosh on the world. I'm not sure when live poker events are going to be on the go for me over the next while. I've reached out to a few people privately about trying to stay in the poker world be it in customer service or whatnot.

It's been years since I've done up a CV or even had to interview, does Richie still post here often? Is he still in recruitment?

I should've really diversified myself from poker events and I'm not too sure trying to pivot to something else in the middle of a pandemic is the right time. If anybody has any tips or pointers, help, whatever please do drop me a line.
            Story cunt?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Gave that kmwine crew a spin. Pleasantly surprised to see free, next day delivery and no sign of any exchange rate rapeage or indeed duty. ty GAB

Still no Tar magic French site though.

Did you buy/pay in GBP or in EUR?

Anything decent picked up or lots of 'Tuesday' wine?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Two things of potential interest to other people thinking of doing the same:

- Signed up to DropChef.com to trial whether their 'we prep, you cook' menus are worth it. Cuts out having to prep three meals a week, upgrades the meal's taste level significantly, but at a cost of about €25 a meal. Tonights meal is a delicious sounding 'Vietnamese meatballs with shredded carrot and sesame rice noodles'.

- Agreed to pay this guy €125 to recommend the best health insurance policy to take out. There's 300+ health insurance policies, so I'm guessing he will easily save the money in the first month or two based on his insights.
                  That's making me hungry..drool
                  I have leftover Bolognese to look forward to.(which reminds me I need some pasta)

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Did you buy/pay in GBP or in EUR?

Anything decent picked up or lots of 'Tuesday' wine?
                    Tuesday\Wednesday wine. Check that out and see what it's like before I get more adventurous.

edit; paid in EUR, seemed to be pretty much the same as the GBP price
                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 24-08-20, 17:39.

Comment

- Signed up to DropChef.com to trial whether their 'we prep, you cook' menus are worth it. Cuts out having to prep three meals a week, upgrades the meal's taste level significantly, but at a cost of about €25 a meal. Tonights meal is a delicious sounding 'Vietnamese meatballs with shredded carrot and sesame rice noodles'.

- Agreed to pay this guy €125 to recommend the best health insurance policy to take out. There's 300+ health insurance policies, so I'm guessing he will easily save the money in the first month or two based on his insights.
                      If I'm paying €60+ plus euro a week they better do a fuck lot better than
                      chicken goujons and sweet potato fries

given the type of company they and their lack of social media updates on any of their platforms, I'd be worried your custom menu amounts to any more than a lad running around aldi and pocketing the difference at this stage.
                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 24-08-20, 18:22.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

Nipping in? He's been living in the K Club for the last several weeks. I don't know how it's been kept under wraps but I presume it'll be in the news before long.
                        His line is that he was out of there before lockdown and has been residing elsewhere since...His google location history would make interesting reading
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

His line is that he was out of there before lockdown and has been residing elsewhere since...His google location history would make interesting reading
                            I sense your support for Big Phil may be wavering?

Comment

Has a good run there now a nice bolognese to tuck into (always tastes a bit better the second day)

A few glasses of red to wash it down.

Some dark choc after.

Luxury

Comment

Good article on how blockchain remains, a decade of hype later, a solution waiting for a problem

https://thecorrespondent.com/655/blo...99980-95473476
                                It's really not a good article. He has one good point and many bad. It's the equivalent of asking PSV his thoughts on AI. He doesn't even mention Defi.

Comment

It was decent today whatever it is. Very nice idea about mixing through shredded carrots and roasted almonds and sesame oil through the noodles. I'll update in a few weeks to see if it runs out of steam. Might well do.

They're very generous with the portions anyway, so you should easily enough get two dinners out of one dinner (you'd at least get the two adult lunches from it). Makes it very cost effective if that holds up. We'd normally work out around 20+ for even an ordinary meal due to wastage and forgetting stuff needs to be cooked at a particular time. Maybe that's just our failing though.

The wife reviewed loads of them on the Internet and that was the only one that made sense. Not sure what her grading criteria was!
                                  Is this the same wife who didn't book the removal men?

I presume that €25 covers the cost of dinner for the full family of 4? Even at that, it seems a little on the expensive side but I guess it ultimately comes down to what you are willing to pay for convenience, although a lot of the cooking times seem to show 30 minutes which is probably all I'd spend during the week cooking from scratch, unless it's something that is just sitting in the oven cooking for longer as I'm off doing something else

We have a simple trick to help cut food waste. We have a magnetic eraser board (like the one linked below) stuck to the fridge door and when we get back from the weekly shop, we write the use by dates of each main item for dinner on it (Beef 26th, Fish 27th, Chicken 28th, etc) so every time you go to the fridge to cook, you know what order you should be eating. Don't think we've had to throw anything out since we stated using it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Home-So...30143110&psc=1

Comment

Good article on how blockchain remains, a decade of hype later, a solution waiting for a problem

https://thecorrespondent.com/655/blo...99980-95473476
                                    Confirmed. Wasted six months of this year working on a blockchain project. Experienced unprecedented levels of spoofery/naivety, primarily from the shareholders in the project.

Did get to work closely with IBM mind you which was interesting in many respects, even if they are among the misguided peddlars of this technology which, frankly, nobody really needs unless you consider the entertainment value of speculation a relevant use case (which, incidentally, I'm fine with).

Comment

Comment

I see Sue Denham is being dragged in to judge The Judge.

Hard to see how politicians and broadcasters have to fall on their sword here but EU Commissioners and judges do not.

Comment

Comment

I sense your support for Big Phil may be wavering?
                                            I've no skin in it, never been a fan of him, operates too much like a FF'r for my liking but I do think it would be insane to give up the power he has in his current position.

Is there a market on whether he survives or not?
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I've no skin in it, never been a fan of him, operates too much like a FF'r for my liking but I do think it would be insane to give up the power he has in his current position.

Is there a market on whether he survives or not?
                                              Ha, I was looking on PP but nothing.

If he goes, he goes quick imo. Like by the end of the week.

Comment

Or maybe we shouldn't have started on something stupid in the first place, and just went with the common sense thing of blaming the organisers who would be assumed to have dealt with all of this stuff. If we stick with it then we'll hopefully get the waiters to resign next. Given, of all people, they should know the rules. Maybe the fishermen who caught the salmon for the salmon darnes. Thems the rules of the baying mob.
                                                Give us your take on Calleary's insta-resignation.

Comment

Just read a wonderfully succinct summary of sports spectators:

unfit drunks swearing at professional athletes
                                                  Guilty as charged.

Comment

Comment

Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder of the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-08-20, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder ofThat%27s_a_paddlin%27.png the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                        Dance classes in a pandemic eh

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's really not a good article. He has one good point and many bad. It's the equivalent of asking PSV his thoughts on AI. He doesn't even mention Defi.
                                                          I find your blockchain /bitcoin faith hilarious considering you are a hardcore atheist

Comment

Seinfeld’s still got it

But one thing I know for sure: The last thing we need in the thick of so many challenges is some putz on LinkedIn wailing and whimpering, “Everyone’s gone! I want 2019 back!”

Oh, shut up. Imagine being in a real war with this guy by your side.

Listening to him go, “I used to play chess all day. I could meet people. I could start any type of business.” Wipe your tears, wipe your butt and pull it together.

He says he knows people who have left New York for Maine, Vermont, Tennessee

, Indiana

. I have been to all of these places many, many, many times over many decades. And with all due respect and affection, Are .. You .. Kidding .. Me?!
                                                            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/o...ronavirus.html

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Dance classes in a pandemic eh
                                                              More like synchronised hiphop kinda stuff than traditional with a partner stuff, so about 2 metres from each other anyway. Doubt I got it, let's see how this ages

Comment

If you turn up at a hotel function and your thought is 'hmm, I didn't think this was allowed at all', your second thought, guaranteed, is 'oh well I presume someone has checked and its fine'. You don't walk into a room with 90 people seated and 20 waiters hired and think "you're all making a terrible mistake" and then turn tail and leave. That's just not how we work as social animals. No one, literally no-one, would be like that.
                                                                I think there is one issue that you are missing Hitch, and it's quite an important one. This wasn't an industry event, awards night, charity auction or similar event organised by a third party where these individuals are simply attendees. This was a society event, attended predominately by the society. Nobody walked in and said "oh well I presume the organisers have checked". They were the organizers., they knew they didn't check, they also knew very quickly that it wasn't meeting standards.
                                                                As with anything designed by committee there are huge amounts of communication before hand. And there are two scenarios, one of which had to happen. Either somebody raised the issue if Covid, and they collectively said fuck it, that's for plebs. Or they obliviously didn't even think to raise it, which is arguable worse.
                                                                I understand how these situations snowball, and how individuals can make bad decisions in the moment. But aside for the covid risks involved they should have been some consideration of perception. But it were you or I, we both know that it's not going to make the paper. But room full of politicians, should really be aware of how it would look if it got out.

Comment

Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder of the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                                  Hope it's a negative. I was reading Eoghans post I dread catching the thing . Maybe only do the classes outdoors . I was on a bootcamp but they moved it indoors due to weather. I left .

Comment

Usain Bolt has tested positive. Have to imagine he'll be grand as he'd be one of your healthier types. Hitch will be waiting for him to resign from something https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/mor...ty/ar-BB18k874

'Happy birthday. Hope you like covid!'
                                                                    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 25-08-20, 06:41.
                                                                    “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

I'd say book a GP consult on your health insurance and see if they put you forward for a test. Last week I know of a guy who had to wait 3-4 days for results. The contact tracing was hit and miss in terms of follow up. You're pretty much housebound until a negative test or 14 days.

Comment

I think those services are great in theory, definitely better than falling into shit pattern where you havent time and end up ordering takeaways or eating unhealthily. 25e for two person meal or whole family? Would appear from the website they have chosen meals that have little to no prep to begin with? There couldnt be ten minutes prep in anything on the front page. Id be pretty pissed paying 25e for a sausage potato and parsnip hash!

Building up a good collection of midweek recipes and planning out your week would be much better value, with may more options. Plus many of the speciality supermarkets do delivery services now if its the fancy ingredients you are after. One big order and youll have most of what you need for a while, only needing to pick up the fresh stuff.

airport, lol

Comment

That's some proper rain out there .

Might have to break out the long trousers for the first time in several months soon.

Comment

Stocked up on the vitamin D. Looks like the days of getting the free stuff from the sun are over

Comment

...
                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

I notice quite a few journalists crying over the harsh dismissal of Sean O'Rourke for one single mistake. Having previously called gleefully for all politicians to lose their jobs. Thread lightly ye gluttons for someone else's punishment.
                                                                                Not a dismissal, he decided this was the right thing to do.
                                                                                (I realise this is a foreign concept to you. )

Mr O'Rourke was among those who attended the Oireachtas Golf Society event in Clifden, Co Galway last week.

In a statement he said that he "spent many years with RTÉ presenting programmes on which public figures were called to account for their actions.

"Now I must call myself to account," he said. "The right course is to set aside our plans for my return to the airwaves."
                                                                                He said that he did not have a defence, and that he "was invited to play golf and I really didn't consider it beyond that, other than to assume whatever was happening would be acceptable from a public health point of view."

"I very much regret that lack of thought and interrogation on my part, and I apologise unreservedly for it."
                                                                                We can go over the similar statements of apology and regret by Calleary and Buttimer when they resigned if you like . And Michael Cawley for his rank hypocrisy.

Or you could look back on this similar resignation in the UK for further precedent. I assume you would also argue she should not have resigned. Or indeed this chap.

Comment

Also o Rourke retired in May. There were possibly plans to come back and do a bit with RTE. Now he gets to enjoy his retirement and... err...play golf.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 11:10.

Comment

Lots of people accusing Donnie Junior of being coked out of his mind. I thought he just looked very drunk

EgQf6qPXkAEZrX2?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

In terms of leadership and the right thing to do, here is my take on this. I doubt I'm alone in this thinking but let's see.

We are in an absolutely unprecedented situation in our history. The closest historical parallel would probably be a major war, which thankfully none of us have ever experienced. This has required the imposition of extraordinary measures to safeguard public health. These measures can only be effective if the population buys in to the need for them and, critically, believes that everyone else, including those at the top, buys into the spirit and the letter of the measures.
                                                                                            This requires clear, consistent messaging from our political leadership both in terms of words and deeds. This leadership goes a very long way to ensuring that the social cohesion required to stick to the measures does not break and that we have an effective response to the crisis.

This lack of consistent messaging is part of the reason why the US and Brazil are so fucked compared to countries that do have good leadership. Their own leaders have actually undermined their own public health experts and this has led to confused, ineffective policy responses which large parts of the population have ignored.

So leadership is absolutely critical to an effective response to this emergency. If our leaders are perceived to be flaunting their own regulations, they completely undermine their own message, leading to the breakdown of social cohesion. Leading to the regulations being ignored by more and more people. Leading to death and long-term chronic illnesses that we don't even comprehend here. That's the outcome here. And that's why anyone in a leadership position - be it medical, political, journalistic, legal - who breaks the regulations has to go. They absolutely have to be held to a higher standard here. O'Rourke, Calleary and Buttimer (to their credit) realise this and resigned pretty much immediately.
                                                                                            Hogan likewise has to go, and for the same reasons. And if he won't quit of his own volition, he should be sacked.

Comment

riiiiiggggghhhttt. so RTE issued a statement denying him reentry into the building for 'possibly plans'.
                                                                                              Bit of a dramatic statement "denying him entry to the building"

Didnt see any concrete plans re what type of production he was supposed to be involved or format so presumably they were talking about plans for a comeback from his retirement hence "possibly"

He did the right thing as he has said himself.

Okaaaaaaaaaay

Anyway enough procrastination for me have renewal contracts to go after.

Last edited by dinekes; 25-08-20, 11:38. Reason: Drawn out ok in response to a gratuitous use of long drawn out right!ht

Comment

...

Comment

I notice quite a few journalists crying over the harsh dismissal of Sean O'Rourke for one single mistake. Having previously called gleefully for all politicians to lose their jobs. Thread lightly ye gluttons for someone else's punishment.
                                                                                                  I enjoyed listening to SOR every day. One of the main reasons I enjoyed his current affairs coverage was because he never did what are suggesting he did. I've never once heard him call for a politicians head. He may have had to pose such a question to a guest if they thought Politician X should go, but it was never his style. He has always been a man of class and his ability to not ask the next question was one of his strengths. Contrast with Sarah McInerney who was fine btw, but she was no SOR, mostly due to her need to ask the next question. Sometimes a shrug of the shoulders is the most appropriate next step.

Comment

I enjoyed listening to SOR every day. One of the main reasons I enjoyed his current affairs coverage was because he never did what are suggesting he did. I've never once heard him call for a politicians head. He may have had to pose such a question to a guest if they thought Politician X should go, but it was never his style. He has always been a man of class and his ability to not ask the next question was one of his strengths. Contrast with Sarah McInerney who was fine btw, but she was no SOR, mostly due to her need to ask the next question. Sometimes a shrug of the shoulders is the most appropriate next step.
                                                                                                    To your point about class, that statement of his strikes completely the right tone. He accepts fully his culpability here.

“I spent many years with RTÉ presenting programmes on which public figures were called to account for their actions. Now I must call myself to account. The right course is to set aside our plans for my return to the airwaves.”
                                                                                                    “To those of you wondering what if I was still asking the questions rather than facing them I just want to say: You’re right,’ O’Rourke posted on Twitter. I should not have been at the dinner in Clifden on Wednesday. I don’t have a defense,” he said.

“I was invited to play golf and I really didn’t consider it beyond that other than to assume whatever was happening would be acceptable from a public health point of view,’ he added. I very much regret that lack of thought and interrogation on my part, and I apologise unreservedly for it.”

Comment

Sarah McI could read the phone book to me. That accent swoon. Still not talking my calls .

Comment

...

Comment

I didn't say SOR used to call for people's heads. I said the same journalists that were calling for politicians heads were against the same for SOR. Its all young journalists, not the long-established ones, who have adopted this type of journalistic approach. A pure lazy type of journalism borrowed from the UK because it works well in click-based journalism. You get far more clicks from controversy vs just explaining a situation. But the problem is that you are so constantly creating controversy, calls for people to be fired, painting people in a corner, that you end up with ridiculous logics.

I thought that journalist that interviewed Stephen Donnolly last week was the same type of modern bad journalist - 'parents are anxious, parents don't want to send their kids to school' was her opening comment. But polls show that 94% of parents want to send their kids to school. But portraying Donnolly as someone trying to push kids into school against their parents will is better clickbait journalism. It sets up the tension. And then later in the interview she has created him into enough of a bogeyman for simply saying what medical professionals have said (including UK medical director this week) that she portrays him as relating corona to jumping on a trampoline. It's highly effective, but lazy and damaging, as it means that politicians learn to never say anything in interviews but instead repeat careful phrases that can never trip them up - so there's less information flow. You see it in the UK where politicians never speak to the press like their do here as they've learned the press will twist off-the-cuff comments into controversies. I'm not sure we benefit at all with that type of journalism.

There's another young journalist who has risen really fast in business news and all he ever does really is post pictures of DAFT accommodation and go 'would you look at the state of this' - 1000 likes, another promotion for him. And I don't blame him for playing the game, but he's now a senior business journalist and he's never really had to write a serious business news story, so how will he be a good investigative journalist, holding people to account, when he knows that all he needs to do is post pictures of dodgy flats in Rathmines to get way more applause.

I'm just not a big fan of that approach to journalism. Which as you said SOR didn't engage in. But he was fired because of it. (or to please dinekes - prevented from future employment). Its lazy and the public doesn't benefit from it. And all this firing of politicians rather than thinking it through logically that really its mainly just the organisers are responsible isn't good for the country. You end up losing a lot of talent for silly reasons.
                                                                                                          V good post (not that you were seeking my approval!) Journalism in general is gone to shite. Or it was always shite and I'm realising it more each day
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

The golf balls were HUGE back then

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                Also o Rourke retired in May. There were possibly plans to come back and do a bit with RTE. Now he gets to enjoy his retirement and... err...play golf.
                                                                                                                Retired man stays retired. Outrage ensues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Retired man stays retired. Outrage ensues.
                                                                                                                  I don't think anyone is outraged (except HH)

Comment

I don't think anyone is outraged (except HH)
                                                                                                                    My guess it's the practice hes ragng against

Comment

Anyone make the switch from google musi to youtube music recently. Im liking it. Playlist options even better when you can add youtube videos rather than just having access to google musics library
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

V good post (not that you were seeking my approval!) Journalism in general is gone to shite. Or it was always shite and I'm realising it more each day
                                                                                                                        Traditional journalism is (mostly) still good although has clearly lost considerable trust and market share.

What's the alternative? People who get their 'news' from Twitter, Facebook etc are going to be exposed to some serious BS.

Comment

Traditional journalism is (mostly) still good although has clearly lost considerable trust and market share.

What's the alternative? People who get their 'news' from Twitter, Facebook etc are going to be exposed to some serious BS.
                                                                                                                          Yeah exactly. And a lot of people are already there. News purely from social media and rarely get by the headline.
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X