Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never really fully understood Buddhism. What I do understand I like, introspection, meditation, mindfulness etc.

Is the idea of Karma similar to the Christian idea of heaven and hell? If you don't 'purify' I assume there's a punishment?

Most religions seem to have this central theme, this idea that people need an incentive to be good human beings. A carrot and stick. With Christianity it's used as a powerful way to stop defection.

I reject that. It's man made nonsense. We're a social species, we've evolved morals. Our success as a species depended heavily on it.

You don't need the idea of a reward or a punishment to be a good human being.
    Last edited by Lazare; 24-07-20, 18:45. Reason: *defection
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
      There's a lot of interesting looking things on your shrine Limpwhacker.

For pictures don't click Upload Attachments below, rather click the Image box above that's beside the link and unlink boxes, then click upload, then choose file, then send to server, then ok.
      Cheers for the heads up on attachments much appreciated. Ever shrine is personal and individual as you and I both know. I love mine and I love coming home to it after a bad day in the bookies or at work or whatever. It works for me and that's the main thing. Buddha tells us that it is impossible for us to love another until we learn to love ourselves. For large chunks of my life I didn't like myself never mind love myself. I'm 53 now and am still learning how to love myself. It's a work in progress and I recognise that. My closest friends jokingly refer to my apartment as the love shack.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

I'm a practising Buddhist and at the risk of sounding or appearing arrogant would venture to suggest that I have a better understanding of Karma than you. All of the bad karma we accumulate in this and previous lifetimes needs to be purified either in this lifetime or future lifetimes. Stick to the jokes M8 you're good at that and never mind Lol ING at stuff you clearly know fck all about would be my advice to you. Take my advice anyway you please , won't affect me either way.
        I got the KARMA education/lecture from an Indian guy years ago. I fail to see how Dean Rock needs singling out though .
        I'm resigned to be reprogrammed as a newt on my next spin. I'll take it. Your fk off Buddhism is cool but you know you'll pay for that .

Comment

Karma is understood differently within Indian religious traditions and within Buddhism itself. As a metaphysical concept of it existing as a law in the universe wherein volitional actions produce a fruit corresponding to the seed of it (i.e. grounded in wholesome or unwholesome mental states) I have no time for it. Some within Buddhism, particularly at the level of folk superstition, view it this way, and it has indeed functioned as a societal way of giving a rationale for being moral to the masses in Buddhist countries.

I view it within the realm of the mental. When I think, speak, or act from mental states characterised by greed, hatred, and delusion I tend to suffer. When I do these things from mental states characterised by contentment, love, and wisdom I usually experience things positively. So from this perspective karma is saying that actions have consequences for us that relate to the mental states with which we do them. It doesn't have to invoke magical laws, or any kind of punisher or rewarder in the universe. It's a description of the way things seem to work within our minds.

And if it is the case that our minds work like this, for whatever reason, then we can use this understanding to experience less suffering and more happiness in our lives by cultivating the wholesome states more and acting from them rather than unwholesome states.

There are lots of other reasons to act morally towards others in Buddhism, especially as a key aspect of it is to see through the delusion that you are more (or less) important than anyone else, and that being selfish is not only delusional but actually a source of suffering if you pay close attention.

I would expect Limpwhacker to have a different view of karma given some posts he has made and the fact his Buddhist background seems to be more Tibetan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            I've never really fully understood Buddhism. What I do understand I like, introspection, meditation, mindfulness etc.

Is the idea of Karma similar to the Christian idea of heaven and hell? If you don't 'purify' I assume there's a punishment?

Most religions seem to have this central theme, this idea that people need an incentive to be good human beings. A carrot and stick. With Christianity it's used as a powerful way to stop deflection.

I reject that. It's man made nonsense. We're a social species, we've evolved morals. Our success as a species depended heavily on it.

You don't need the idea of a reward or a punishment to be a good human being.
            I don't claim to be an expert on Buddhism and am reluctant to engage in attempting to explain it. One of the fundamental differences is the concept of reincarnation. HH the Dali Llama was once asked in an interview to try and explain what our religion is all about. He smiled and said "that is an easy question for me to answer, my religion can be summed up in two words, love and kindness." One of the meditations we do is a loving kindness meditation. Google it and see what you find.

Comment

Buddha tells us that it is impossible for us to love another until we learn to love ourselves.
              He really didn't teach that Limpwhacker. And I consider that to be fundamentally untrue.

Comment

Stick to the jokes M8 you're good at that
                Are you sure that's incense you're burning?

Comment

Karma is understood differently within Indian religious traditions and within Buddhism itself. As a metaphysical concept of it existing as a law in the universe wherein volitional actions produce a fruit corresponding to the seed of it (i.e. grounded in wholesome or unwholesome mental states) I have no time for it. Some within Buddhism, particularly at the level of folk superstition, view it this way, and it has indeed functioned as a societal way of giving a rationale for being moral to the masses in Buddhist countries.

I view it within the realm of the mental. When I think, speak, or act from mental states characterised by greed, hatred, and delusion I tend to suffer. When I do these things from mental states characterised by contentment, love, and wisdom I usually experience things positively. So from this perspective karma is saying that actions have consequences for us that relate to the mental states with which we do them. It doesn't have to invoke magical laws, or any kind of punisher or rewarder in the universe. It's a description of the way things seem to work within our minds.

And if it is the case that our minds work like this, for whatever reason, then we can use this understanding to experience less suffering and more happiness in our lives by cultivating the wholesome states more and acting from them rather than unwholesome states.

There are lots of other reasons to act morally towards others in Buddhism, especially as a key aspect of it is to see through the delusion that you are more (or less) important than anyone else, and that being selfish is not only delusional but actually a source of suffering if you pay close attention.

I would expect Limpwhacker to have a different view of karma given some posts he has made and the fact his Buddhist background seems to be more Tibetan.
                  Yes to Tibetan Buddhist. No to our interpretation of the laws of karma being very different. There are many similarities based on your eloquent and well written post. I spent 7 years down in west Cork in the Buddhist centre that I advised jbravado to try a few years ago. I loved every second I spent down there and would still be there if my mental health issues hadn't raised their ugly head. I consider it an enormous privilege to have been able to spend the time I did down there and I played an integral part in preparing the site for the building of the first Tibetan Buddhist Temple to be built in Ireland. HH the Dali Llama will officially open it in 12-18 months when it is finally completed. It's a stunningly beautiful building and rest assured even if I have to walk from Donegal to Cork I will be at that opening ceremony. Unless of course Buddha has a different plan

Comment

He really didn't teach that Limpwhacker. And I consider that to be fundamentally untrue.
                    Would Buddah disapprove of the free kick lessons ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Are you sure that's incense you're burning?
                      Bitch.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Well he was a Kerry fan if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Fucking right he would. Not much kindness or compassion involved at 350 nicker a lesson. If Mr. Rock did it on a voluntary basis he would purify a lot of bad Karmaat 350 a pop all he's doing is accumulating more bad Karma. My interpretation of course but sure wtf would I know I'm madder than a mad thing at times lol

Comment

Well he was a Kerry fan if I recall correctly.
                              That's the mullahs you are thinking of.

Comment

Buddhism is the Oscar Schindler of religions.

A good egg.

Comment

He really did you know. If he didn't then I was lied to for 7 years. It's that single statement that underpins a Loving Kindness meditation practice. I've no notion of getting into a debate with you over it though. Every single Loving Kindness meditation I attended (and there were many ) down at DZB began with this principle.

Comment

No fan of Paul Murphy but this is pretty good..

Comment

A good egg.
                                      Jainism might trump it.

I also have a soft theological spot for Sikhism.

Hmm, maybe all religions ending in -ism are just inherently cool. Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Judaism...
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

You could actually spend an hour in our downstairs jacks reading all the little positive messages the Mrs has stuck up. Not sure how to post pics but having Dobby & his missus over tomorrow night so will let him post a pic if he's able.

Comment

He really did you know. If he didn't then I was lied to for 7 years. It's that single statement that underpins a Loving Kindness meditation practice. I've no notion of getting into a debate with you over it though. Every single Loving Kindness meditation I attended (and there were many ) down at DZB began with this principle.
                                            Just googled Buddhist loving kindness meditation there and was delighted Hotspur to discover I hadn't been lied to for 7 years. It's right there at the top of the page. There are also some videos if you feel inclined.

Comment

Comment

A good egg.
                                                Apart from the whole serfdom of the masses thing!?

Comment

I'm very much against all forms of organised religion but I do have a soft spot for Buddhism.

It probably stems from spending about 6 months in SE Asia many years ago, it was such a great time.

I can't remember if I've told the story of our day trip around Lop Buri before or not, I'm sure I have, it was one of the most surreal days I've ever experienced.

Comment

Comment

Quakers seem grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                        Quakers seem grand.
                                                        It's certainly a step up from the RC church most of us were brought up in. Was a bit disappointed that they've reverted here to using the days of the week, as I'd read that they refer to them numerically, so as to avoid referring to Roman gods.
                                                        It's still fundamentally based around the Bible, which I can barely read without breaking my hole laughing.
                                                        “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Shintoism and Taoism seem interesting too. If I'm remembering the right ones. Like the ones that have loads of different gods as allows you to tailor make your emphasis. I guess we tried to do that with saints but never really put the right PR push into building up saints as a form of useful polytheism.
                                                          Catholicism seems more poly than mono tbf. All that Virgin Mary, Saint Theresa, Padre Pio, Child of Prague cast of characters?

Certainly that's what it looks like from the Protestant perspective, as we silently judge you from our mansion on the hill.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It's certainly a step up from the RC church most of us were brought up in. Was a bit disappointed that they've reverted here to using the days of the week, as I'd read that they refer to them numerically, so as to avoid referring to Roman gods.
                                                            It's still fundamentally based around the Bible, which I can barely read without breaking my hole laughing.
                                                            Why would you read the bible?

Comment

I still think one of the funniest comments I ever heard about religion was in some C4 sketch show years back.

The two lads were playing very upper-class English bishops, very world weary and cynical.

"Of course, our biggest mistake of all was introducing Americans to God.....now they all think they're on first name terms with Him."

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Some tremendous stories in the Old Testament

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

When you go to a Quaker meeting, you have an hour sitting in a room and that's the suggested and only provided reading material. Would have read it previously when I was a chaplains assistant for a year, back in the day. Not like that would have been the first time though.

Comment

Comment

Comment

When you go to a Quaker meeting, you have an hour sitting in a room and that's the suggested and only provided reading material. Would have read it previously when I was a chaplains assistant for a year, back in the day. Not like that would have been the first time though.
                                                                        Are they the crowd behind me up the mountains?

Edit - seems they;re nacukie whatever the fook that is

Have them one end and Tom Cruise's lot at the other end, a veritable hotbed
                                                                        Last edited by Dice75; 24-07-20, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Are they the crowd behind me up the mountains?
                                                                          I don't use google, so you'll have to tell me what 'me up the mountains' is. They're historically big into chocolate!

Comment

I don't use google, so you'll have to tell me what 'me up the mountains' is. They're historically big into chocolate!
                                                                            *Reads the Bible
                                                                            *Doesn't use Google

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

*Reads the Bible
                                                                              *Doesn't use Google
                                                                              Was expecting more comments on
                                                                              when I was a chaplains assistant for a year
                                                                              , though maybe we have discussed that previously.

Comment

Just googled Buddhist loving kindness meditation there and was delighted Hotspur to discover I hadn't been lied to for 7 years. It's right there at the top of the page. There are also some videos if you feel inclined.
                                                                                I'm going to pursue this, not to win an argument with you, but because I think it's quote important that as a Buddhist you don't believe that the Buddha taught that to love others you need to love yourself first. It's an unBuddhist perspective, and I think it will harm your practice if you believe it.

It seems like the source of your knowledge that the Buddha taught this view is that the metta bhavana is commonly taught with the first stage being metta for oneself. This is true, it is commonly taught this way. The first appearance of the version of the metta bhavana involving stages corresponding to different people is in the Vimuttimagga around the 1st century CE, and it became influential due to it being included in Buddaghosa's Visuddhimagga in the 5th century CE.

The metta bhavana (like all the Bhramaviharas) was a Vedic practice which pre-dated the Buddha. If you look to the Suttas as to how the Buddha taught it he taught the stages as being the directions - you send metta in front of you, then behind you etc. The Buddha did not teach the metta bhavana in the form it is commonly taught today with the stages of oneself, good friend, neutral person, enemy, all beings.

But even if he had taught it in that form it would in no way imply that you have to love yourself before you can love other people. You have put words into the Buddha's mouth that he did not say, and is contrary to the essential ethos of Buddhism. Unfortunately you do find people giving these fake quotes online.There is a website called Fake Buddha Quotes which debunks fake quotes. Here it is debunking the quote that you must love yourself before another.

But just look to your own experience. You said that you have had a tough time feeling love for yourself over the years (me too), in that time was it the case that you didn't feel metta for others?

There is the capacity to feel metta for ourselves, the capacity to feel it for others, and the capacity to take in the metta that people feel for us. These three capacities are not the same, and we each have different profiles of them. It is eminently possible to have metta and compassion for others and not have it strongly for oneself. If you believe that you need to have it for yourself first and spend a lot of your time concentrating on trying to develop that first then you will suffer due to the overly self focused nature of it.

With metta.

edit: I've just realised that probably only Limpwhacker would get the import of the dates I mentioned - the Buddha lived 500-1000 years before those mentioned texts.
                                                                                Last edited by hotspur; 24-07-20, 22:32.

Comment

I had a meal tonight that was good enough for Jehovah himself

Comment

...

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was expecting more comments on , though maybe we have discussed that previously.
                                                                                        It's the going to Quaker meetings that piqued.

Comment

No matter what religion you look at the deeper you dig the more you discover it to be built on pillars of opression and coontrol.

I remember being struck on a visit through the Chester Beatty museum how as religions evolved they evolve over time they move from being very simple stories that helped build social cohesion and healthy ways of people living together while dealing with the rapid and exponential changes in society through from the beginning of farming to the iron age. The likes of Judaism stands in strong contrast to its later sects and especially to later iterations like Islam which is really the same thing with many layers of petty and arcane rules that serve only to reinforce control and obedience.

The closest I ever became to being convinced of any church being a valuable institution was from this interview with Rabbi Jonathan Sacks (not currently live )and some digging I did into his lectures on you tube and elsewhere after.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The dawn of agriculture and of humanity being geographically rooted was the dawn of organised religion.

Was also the beginning of the patriarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                              No matter what religion you look at the deeper you dig the more you discover it to be built on pillars of opression and coontrol.
                                                                                              I am sceptical of the breadth and depth of your examination of all religions and your conclusion.

Comment

Real question is how many extra cycles of reincarnation will dean rock be condemned to for his greedy cash grab?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                  Real question is how many extra cycles of reincarnation will dean rock be condemned to for his greedy cash grab?
                                                                                                  Did you consider at all when you first posted about Dean Rock's far from free taking that it would lead to a philosophical discussion of Buddhism?

Comment

One things for sure: they're all makey uppey bullshit.

Comment

I'm going to pursue this, not to win an argument with you, but because I think it's quote important that as a Buddhist you don't believe that the Buddha taught that to love others you need to love yourself first. It's an unBuddhist perspective, and I think it will harm your practice if you believe it.

It seems like the source of your knowledge that the Buddha taught this view is that the metta bhavana is commonly taught with the first stage being metta for oneself. This is true, it is commonly taught this way. The first appearance of the version of the metta bhavana involving stages corresponding to different people is in the Vimuttimagga around the 1st century CE, and it became influential due to it being included in Buddaghosa's Visuddhimagga in the 5th century CE.

The metta bhavana (like all the Bhramaviharas) was a Vedic practice which pre-dated the Buddha. If you look to the Suttas as to how the Buddha taught it he taught the stages as being the directions - you send metta in front of you, then behind you etc. The Buddha did not teach the metta bhavana in the form it is commonly taught today with the stages of oneself, good friend, neutral person, enemy, all beings.

But even if he had taught it in that form it would in no way imply that you have to love yourself before you can love other people. You have put words into the Buddha's mouth that he did not say, and is contrary to the essential ethos of Buddhism. Unfortunately you do find people giving these fake quotes online.There is a website called Fake Buddha Quotes which debunks fake quotes. Here it is debunking the quote that you must love yourself before another.

But just look to your own experience. You said that you have had a tough time feeling love for yourself over the years (me too), in that time was it the case that you didn't feel metta for others?

There is the capacity to feel metta for ourselves, the capacity to feel it for others, and the capacity to take in the metta that people feel for us. These three capacities are not the same, and we each have different profiles of them. It is eminently possible to have metta and compassion for others and not have it strongly for oneself. If you believe that you need to have it for yourself first and spend a lot of your time concentrating on trying to develop that first then you will suffer due to the overly self focused nature of it.

With metta.

edit: I've just realised that probably only Limpwhacker would get the import of the dates I mentioned - the Buddha lived 500-1000 years before those mentioned texts.
                                                                                                      I agree in large part with the argument you have put forward. It's abundantly clear that we are going to arriving too close to fulfilling in providing a slap down Buddhist set to which hitch would love to see. I enjoyed the convo a lot and Learnt a lot I didn't know. I'm going to use my get out of call card in this instance.My get out of jail free card. Equanimity and kindness. Equanimity as Buddhist.belifs requires us to treat all sentient beings with equanimity regardless of whether we like them or hate them or think they all. In lay man's terms try and love with equanimity the dog on the street or the mosquito on your arm or your nearest and closest .friends and family . Manage that and destroy your ego and your well on the way to Buddaville. Treating people well and carrying out random acts of kindness helps others but helps you enormously as well. Sorry your never going to see a Buddhist slapdown - that's never happening in this lifetime or any other lifetime. For anyone who is interested in dipping their toes in Buddhist waters the Buddha gave a brilliant teaching in relation to Fear. I'm sure it's findable on you tube or Google. Which reminds me of name given to me by Dzigar Kontrul with whom I took refuge. My parents called my Brian or black sheep Stephen Murphy christened me Limpwhacker due to my propensity to limp most monster hands with a view to 3 bet 4 bet whack it in and pray for the hand to hold. Dzigar Kontrul bestowed the name Fearless Jewel on me when I sought refuge in the dharma. I like Dzigars name best

Comment

Definitely not incense.

Comment

The dawn of agriculture and of humanity being geographically rooted was the dawn of organised religion.

Was also the beginning of the patriarchy.
                                                                                                          You say that like its a bad thing !
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Worked with this girl years ago in our twenties.
                                                                                                            She was strong willed and principled with a good sense of humour.
                                                                                                            Only found out that she was also devoted to collecting for charities when she was featured in a newspaper shaking a can in front of Bill Clinton back then in the nineties.

Respected and liked her.

Googled her recently to find out she's the CEO of a charity helping marginalised people with disabilities.

Warrior.

Not a fan of religion at all but a big fan of people who get things done as best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                              One things for sure: they're all makey uppey bullshit.
                                                                                                              You say that like its a bad thing !

Comment

Evaluating 2 job applicants at the moment. Both for graduate role, one with a first, the other with a 2:1 and finishing a masters.
                                                                                                                Masters guy grilled our HR manager mercilessly on pension details (which delighted me no end as am 99% sure HR had never even been asked the question before) wanted 25% more starting salary as well. He has 50min commute vs 30 min for other guy. Also was upfront about saying he would like to work from home 1 or 2 days as a general rule (role would suit this arrangement)
                                                                                                                The other guy asked how much he would he paid and seemed happy with first offer. Both likeable, both sharp. Their project examples were both excellent.
                                                                                                                The masters guy has worked in a big tech company intern programme, initiative was mothballed and numbers didnt add up for him to move. Has actually worked on things similar to what his job role will entail. The other guy I am sure would be capable of doing same with training and time, both of which are planned and funded.
                                                                                                                Anyone been in similar situations and have any thoughts?

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

There was a Buddhist called Limpwhacker
                                                                                                                  Who claimed Hotspur was only a knacker
                                                                                                                  He went to his shrine
                                                                                                                  Asked Buddha for a sign
                                                                                                                  Was he a cruel karma attacker?

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                    Evaluating 2 job applicants at the moment. Both for graduate role, one with a first, the other with a 2:1 and finishing a masters.
                                                                                                                    Masters guy grilled our HR manager mercilessly on pension details (which delighted me no end as am 99% sure HR had never even been asked the question before) wanted 25% more starting salary as well. He has 50min commute vs 30 min for other guy. Also was upfront about saying he would like to work from home 1 or 2 days as a general rule (role would suit this arrangement)
                                                                                                                    The other guy asked how much he would he paid and seemed happy with first offer. Both likeable, both sharp. Their project examples were both excellent.
                                                                                                                    The masters guy has worked in a big tech company intern programme, initiative was mothballed and numbers didnt add up for him to move. Has actually worked on things similar to what his job role will entail. The other guy I am sure would be capable of doing same with training and time, both of which are planned and funded.
                                                                                                                    Anyone been in similar situations and have any thoughts?

Hire the white one obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post

Thought asking how much you are going to be paid in an interview was a no-no. Times have obviously changed?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X