This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

The brother is very fussy about his steaks being completely unadorned.
    I was watching him with eyebrows fully raised amusement as he emphatically explained how he would like his steak, each instruction accompanied with an emphatic slashing gesture with hand to illustrate its importance "no sauce at all", "no vegetables", "no potatoes" "just the steak alone", "nothing else at all".
    Poor young foreign looking waiter beginning to look slightly anxious at the weight of this added responsibility.

So I added a further instruction "To be on the safe side don't even bring the plate"

Even the waiter burst out laughing at that one.
    Steak seems to be the one foodstuff that your stereotypical Irish male can and will get unreasonably didactic about. Not really sure what the origins of this is.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
      Anyone move their pensions away from ETFs and into cash or other commodities before things really kicked off?

Had and interesting chat recently with a colleague who's a couple of years off retirement. She got burned in the last GFC with most of her fund mixed across various ETFs per the standard portfolio from the company's pension advisers. However this January she dumped the balance of ETFs into cash before Covid took off globally. She reckons its a not so insignificant difference in the order of 5 figures saved. Granted at this stage of her pension much of it was already moved out of ETFs automatically. I still thought it was interesting how much she saved. The ironic thing was the pension advisers telling her that she pays more attention to her pension that their team of "experts".
      DId she stay in cash?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Jesus, SA looks like savage value now with the ZAR rate. Be basically a tenner for a 500g ribeye in the best steak joint in Jo'burg.

Need to find a South African client....
        I should stop looking at that site. You can buy the ribeye for less than a tenner for a kilo. And that's from a wanky place, could probably get equally good meat for a fiver a kilo elsewhere.

Decided to have a bbq tonight now.

Comment

Steak seems to be the one foodstuff that your stereotypical Irish male can and will get unreasonably didactic about. Not really sure what the origins of this is.
          Lucky bastard gets steak especially cooked for him at family dos (hmmm... metagame strategy at play)

SIster would be hosting and be saying "oh we're just going to do a beef bourgignon with mash, nice and easy, and a steak for Jack"
          Me (hopefully) "Can I have a steak"
          "Fuck off"

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Ha. HJ would win that hands down as I would have no interest. I was curious on his views given his exploitation of underpaid Mexicans.
            Have you been to Mexico City? You seem to be mixing it up with a much poorer place. It would be the equivalent of tipping in a fancier Louis Copeland.

Comment

I once tipped a guy €20 in a golf shop as I was so excited about getting a new bag. Immediately felt like a sap after his reaction.

​​​​​​It was an awesome leather Cobra bag that was heavily discounted as the leather hood from it was missing. Think that's why I tipped as I couldn't believe I got it for the price. They gave me a plastic rain hood for it.

A day or two later my neighbour saw me put it into the car and remarked that he bought the exact same bag a week or two previously in the same shop.

He couldn't believe the price I paid for it. I told him why and he laughed and went into his house.

Came out with my leather hood. His bag came with two of them.

It had the hood off my bag packed in it by mistake when he bought it. My next door neighbour.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

don't forget 12.30 every radio station in ireland will blast put em under pressure for Big Jack's funeral
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      I had an investment idea, that I'm not sure is smart or dodgy. Pension-wise I'm reasonably grand thanks to the new position, so I was thinking of building up pots of very high-risk investments that might pay off big if they work out. So I'm thinking about what might pay off in 15-20 years, although hopefully not waiting that long for the actual payoff.

What I was thinking was building up 10k investments in a few different things (this assumes I'll eventually be able to raise that type of spare cash!).

So e.g. 10k in ethereum as that might be a currency with a few hundred billion circulation value *if* it becomes the default new-finance currency. So maybe a very small chance of a 20-30 times payoff. Maybe 10k in hardwood forestry, 10k in a small range of first edition books that I think will have strong future value, 10k in one or two stocks that should have a fundamental role in the future, or maybe 10k in some wines that need to lie in the darkness in a warehouse somewhere for 15 years before they are ready to realise their value - but where they have strong upside value if they mature particularly well. Part-fund a foodtruck run by a young chef with some interesting ideas. So really atypical investment things. Does that sound like a dodgy idea, and what might be a useful pot to consider?
                      Sounds like you have too much spare cash and you should spend it

Although I think you said you are going to be buying a house at some stage, so never fear, the upkeep of that plus your children's upbringing willl suck every last cent of your disposable income so this will be a purely theoretical discussion anyway.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just have to convince the wife now to ditch those dodgy expensive creams that all women seem to spend endless hundreds on and can't possibly have any effect on skin condition as all 60+-year-old women have faces like shriveled testicles.
                            You truly do have a death wish don't you.

I implore you not to do this. I want an alive Hitch to go drinking with in Dublin.

Comment

Jesus, SA looks like savage value now with the ZAR rate. Be basically a tenner for a 500g ribeye in the best steak joint in Jo'burg.

Need to find a South African client....
                              Can't remember if it was there or the Butchers grill that #i got the most amazing plate of lamb ribs. Been trying to recreate them at home ever since, doing OK but not close to what they served.

I'm currently trying to plan a road trip Capetown - Port Elizabeth - Capetown sometime between now and Dec '21. Was originally hoping for this October but its not looking likely to happen that soon
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                That Roger Stone 'arguing with this Negro' thing is absolutely bonkers.
                                What's that m8?
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hopefully. That would be the smart idea given she is just a few years away from retirement regardless of market performance. Don't know why she was still in equity ETFs that close to retirement anyway. It should surely be a max of 30-40% in ETFs if you are that close to cashing it all in.
                                  People generally don’t cash it all in at retirement anymore.

Anyone with a decent DC pot generally goes with an ARF and remains invested (albeit with somewhat lower risk for another 15-20 years).

If they are very wealthy they just use the ARF for inheritance planning and they dial up the risk (versus what they might have done before they realised how wealthy they are or were going to be).

Fucking around trying to time the market on a 60+ year investment is crazy imo. I made my first AVC at age 21. That pound I invested then will be the last euro I cash out hopefully when I’m 100+ People have no real sense of how long the long run is and how much the deck is stacked in favour of the patient.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I had an investment idea, that I'm not sure is smart or dodgy. Pension-wise I'm reasonably grand thanks to the new position, so I was thinking of building up pots of very high-risk investments that might pay off big if they work out. So I'm thinking about what might pay off in 15-20 years, although hopefully not waiting that long for the actual payoff.

What I was thinking was building up 10k investments in a few different things (this assumes I'll eventually be able to raise that type of spare cash!).

So e.g. 10k in ethereum as that might be a currency with a few hundred billion circulation value *if* it becomes the default new-finance currency. So maybe a very small chance of a 20-30 times payoff. Maybe 10k in hardwood forestry, 10k in a small range of first edition books that I think will have strong future value, 10k in one or two stocks that should have a fundamental role in the future, or maybe 10k in some wines that need to lie in the darkness in a warehouse somewhere for 15 years before they are ready to realise their value - but where they have strong upside value if they mature particularly well. Part-fund a foodtruck run by a young chef with some interesting ideas. So really atypical investment things. Does that sound like a dodgy idea, and what might be a useful pot to consider?
                                    The bedrock of this investment strategy is the DB pension promise from the state linked to your university post. I’d question that. Particularly the accelerated accrual and beyond a certain level of pension. There’s precedent in this area already.

I’d also question the future of universities but you’ll probably get another decade out of that anyway.

Nothing wrong with putting some sizzle into your savings and investment portfolio but I’d just question the wisdom of doing high risk stuff and a DB pension promise and nothing else.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

What's that m8?
                                      It's been all over the news for days and a quick google search finds numerous articles about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's been all over the news for days and a quick google search finds numerous articles about it.
                                        Still don't know what it is.
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

stone.PNG

What's that m8?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Thanks lads, didn't want to google a racial slur on my work PC

Comment

Another day of what should be bombshell news in the UK today with the Russia Report.
                                                https://news.sky.com/story/russia-re...s-isc-12033098

MI5/6 have to be instructed to take further action by foreign secretary. They were told not to. Have a look who was in that position at the time...

Comment

I hope you don't work in IT - all you had to do was google Roger Stone.

Comment

That's what mobile phones are for. Racial slur Googling.

Comment

Comment

Comment

dobby up with your Liverpool bet. Fwiw you deserved to win and would have romped only for covid.
                                                          @ lowkicker re EFL bets you are a fkn lucksack

Comment

Don't forget about art. Preferably investing in some up and coming artist who you can bump off before they become too prolific.

Comment

Comment

Created by Nick Mohammed. With David Schwimmer, Nick Mohammed, Jane Stanness, Sylvestra Le Touzel. An NSA agent teams up with a computer analyst to form a new cyber crimes unit in the UK's Government Communications Headquarters.

Comment

Comment

It would be pretty cool. Wonder though if there's too many people searching for value in that field.
                                                                    I'd definitely put art and wine ahead of books personally, although also have plenty of 1st edition French bande dessinées worth hundreds now (haven't valued them in a while but definitely worth a few grand). Which reminds me I probably need to check my vinyl collection which has been in storage in Paris since the 90s,as they seem to be making a comeback.

Comment

Maybe we have different life risk outlooks, but I'm not going to make pension decisions with an assumption that a state pension won't be paid or that universities won't exist!! There will be so much else gone wrong with the world if that ends up being the case.
                                                                      I think he is to referring to the fact that the pension system will not exist by the time we retire, interests rates are too low and our population is getting older and living longer.

Comment

Comment

I think he is to referring to the fact that the pension system will not exist by the time we retire, interests rates are too low and our population is getting older and living longer.
                                                                          i.e. there won't be a big enough population of workers to pay the pensions of the vast army of the retired, especially when you consider the Irish ones are paid out of current spending which is clearly massively unsustainable in the long run

Comment

Anyone watched Money Heist? Mrs has me watching it and on EP4 and losing interest

Comment

@Hitch don't forget whiskey

Comment

I haven't been posting much lately as IPB has fallen foul of the company blocker again. I'm considering getting an evening laptop to compensate.

We are in our fifth week in Tralee after having intended to come down for two weeks. I've now organised two of my friends to rent a room each in the house in Limerick which will cover the mortgage and the plan is to stay here till the end of January. Realistically we're here for good I'd say. It's wild how life comes at you.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

"They're paying our pensions", does sound better than "they tuk aur jobs"

Comment

While I was bluffing quite a bit in earlier posts we are now miraculously quite close to pulling to this caper together. If anyone has yet to register an interest in backing the WSOP horsey. Please do so here. It will be a first come first served down through the list till it is full. Even if your not sure get your interest in the line. You won't be held to it.

Comment

Just working remotely to all intents and purposes into the future? Would that not be grand until a baby appears and then cause two years of the most awful hassle? Sounds class though for now!
                                                                                          That's my plan. My belief is that I have enough career capital built up to be able to push it through and not have to work 1 or 2 days a week in the office. We're in a period of intense work at the moment and I've been doing very well so will have a strong hand to play when the time comes. I have a very good relationship with my manager and am close friends with the two most senior engineers for the last ten years so I think if it comes down to a take it or leave it situation they'd rather have me remotely rather than not at all. I think the boss is generally in favour of the wfh thing anyway.

Wrt kids we're probably in a better spot here with doting grandparents split across two households a mile and two miles away. Unless I'm missing the thrust of the question?

The better half is of a like mind to me that lifestyle is everything, so a medium term of casual-ish work sits reasonably well with her. She's worked all her career in travel so got the bullet due to covid but is probably in the right place if she wants to get back into that. Tralee IT - a mile and a half from where I'm sitting - having just become part of the new Munster Uni is a positive also if she wants to go back into science which is what her degree is in.

The big thing is being able to spend six months here to see how it all looks through the winter. At the moment despite working probably 70 hours a week the lifestyle is just unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            Another day of what should be bombshell news in the UK today with the Russia Report.
                                                                                            https://news.sky.com/story/russia-re...s-isc-12033098

MI5/6 have to be instructed to take further action by foreign secretary. They were told not to. Have a look who was in that position at the time...
                                                                                            https://orbisbi.com/wp-content/uploa...quiry-2018.pdf

This is an interesting read.
                                                                                            Yer man from Pee tape fame was asked to testify to UK intelligence as part of Russia probe.

Comment

...

Comment

Thought I was reading about Hitch here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ople-66w30ss6q

A university lecturer who was sacked after saying that “the Jewish are the cleverest in the world” and “Germans are good engineers” has had his claim for unfair dismissal rejected.
                                                                                                He also said: “I have a soft spot for young black males. I do think that they are underprivileged and many [are] without fathers et cetera [and] need all the help they can get.”
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                A university lecturer who was sacked after saying that “the Jewish are the cleverest in the world” and “Germans are good engineers” has had his claim for unfair dismissal rejected.

Stephen Lamonby, 73, a part-time lecturer at Southampton Solent, said that he had a “soft spot” for young black men because many had absent fathers.

An employment tribunal was told that he made the remarks to Janet Bonar, his course leader, in March last year. The two were talking in the canteen when Mr Lamonby, an engineer, told her that people from different countries had become good at certain things owing to “high exposure”.
                                                                                                When Dr Bonar mentioned her degree in physics Mr Lamonby said that Jewish people had “a particular gift” for the subject

He said that Germans were good at engineering because they are “exposed to a high level of industry from an early stage in their lives”. He also said: “I have a soft spot for young black males. I do think that they are underprivileged and many [are] without fathers et cetera [and] need all the help they can get.”

When Dr Bonar, an engineering lecturer, mentioned her degree in physics Mr Lamonby said that Jewish people had “a particular gift” for the subject.

He used Albert Einstein as an example and asked Dr Bonar if she was Jewish. She took offence and called Mr Lamonby a racist. He replied: “I believe that the Jewish are the cleverest people in the world. They are much maligned because of it. I asked if you were Jewish because of your ability with maths/physics et cetera. Which is a speciality of theirs.”

A few hours later Dr Bonar emailed Mr Lamonby and said that in future it might be better if their conversations focused on their studies rather than their “widely different views on race and national characteristics”.

He responded angrily, saying that he was “not used to being smacked down like a schoolboy” and called a racist.

The university investigated. Mr Lamonby defended his comments and gave another example of “high exposure”: Inuits were good at fishing.

“My comments were simply stating that, arising from my lifetime of experience, I have come to believe that certain nationalities have developed a higher level of skill in some areas,” he said. “This is directly related to the level of exposure to criteria such as industry and education. This is not radical thinking; it is simply a view that reflects environmental privilege in general terms.”

During a final disciplinary hearing he admitted using “clumsy” language and “apologised profoundly”. He made more comments at the hearing, referring to ethnic groups as “they” and to Jews having “neurological differences”.

He was fired for gross misconduct and alleged unfair dismissal. The tribunal in Bristol found that the university had a duty to protect its “multicultural, predominantly young student body” from potential racism and rejected his claims of unfair dismissal and breach of contract.

Judge CH O’Rourke said: “A Jew told they are good at physics — because they are a Jew — may well consider that as demeaning their personal intellectual ability/hard work.”

After the ruling Mr Lamonby said free speech “is totally dead in universities” and that he would appeal. He said that “the judge was a woke judge”, adding: “You can’t make any comments [in universities] now because they are totally obsessed with racism.”
                                                                                                “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I read that yesterday and didn't think it was too bad. Just an old guy who said well-intentioned stuff without realising he was saying it in the wrong way. He's broadly right also. Countries that specialise in something tend to be better at it - so Germans are better engineers and Chinese are better manufacturers. But mainly we should take account of whether someone is saying something with the right intentions rather than the actual words used.
                                                                                                      It read a bit like Father Ted saying 'the Jews - a great bunch of lads' so somewhat maladroit but to get sacked for that? FFS.

This is the kind of shit demagogues like Trump exploit.

Comment

On that topic: Iranians are so fucking good at maths. I'd say an Iranian janitor could accidentally walk into a maths professor interview, flunk a question on 2+2=, and still be hired - such is the default assumption in academia that all Iranians are maths geniuses.
                                                                                                        The auld Persians - a great bunch of lads for the maths.

You should be hung out to dry for your ethno-imperialism. I bet you're uni-sexual, you weirdo.

Comment

Hey, I only found out yesterday that 'negro' was a racial slur. I'm pleading ignorance, and adding the fact that I only realised that the name 'Tayto' came from 'potato' about 3 years ago in my defence.
                                                                                                          “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

The Poetry of Donald Trump

I never understood wind.
                                                                                                            You know, I know
                                                                                                            windmills very much.
                                                                                                            I have studied it
                                                                                                            better than anybody
                                                                                                            else. It’s very expensive.
                                                                                                            They are made in China
                                                                                                            and Germany mostly.
                                                                                                            —Very few made here, almost none,
                                                                                                            but they are manufactured, tremendous
                                                                                                            —if you are into this—
                                                                                                            tremendous fumes. Gases are
                                                                                                            spewing into the atmosphere. You know
                                                                                                            we have a world
                                                                                                            right?
                                                                                                            So the world
                                                                                                            is tiny
                                                                                                            compared to the universe.
                                                                                                            So tremendous, tremendous
                                                                                                            amount of fumes and everything.
                                                                                                            You talk about
                                                                                                            the carbon footprint
                                                                                                            — fumes are spewing into the air.
                                                                                                            Right? Spewing.
                                                                                                            Whether it’s in China,
                                                                                                            Germany, it’s going into the air.
                                                                                                            It’s our air
                                                                                                            their air
                                                                                                            everything — right?
                                                                                                            A windmill will kill many bald eagles.
                                                                                                            After a certain number
                                                                                                            they make you turn the windmill off.
                                                                                                            That is true.
                                                                                                            —By the way
                                                                                                            they make you turn it off.
                                                                                                            And yet, if you killed one
                                                                                                            they put you in jail.
                                                                                                            That is OK.
                                                                                                            You want to see a bird graveyard?
                                                                                                            You just go.
                                                                                                            Take a look.
                                                                                                            A bird graveyard.
                                                                                                            Go under a windmill someday,
                                                                                                            you’ll see
                                                                                                            more birds
                                                                                                            than you’ve ever seen
                                                                                                            in your life.
                                                                                                            ~ D. Trump
                                                                                                            12/21/2019

Comment

Imagine this movie.
                                                                                                              • Trump loses the election in November.
                                                                                                              • Is eventually evicted from the WH.
                                                                                                              • Putin says 'fuck it, how can we undermine American democracy even more than we have already? Let's release everything we have on this guy'.

There would not be enough popcorn in the world.

Comment

Mad that the Russians get all the focus when it's the Chinese gov that are the real global threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  Mad that the Russians get all the focus when it's the Chinese gov that are the real global threat.
                                                                                                                  one is critical to global economic order, the other is not - go figure

Comment

I hope you don't work in IT - all you had to do was google Roger Stone.
                                                                                                                    Have you noticed that you've become utterly humourless in the last year or two?

Comment

Have you noticed that you've become utterly humourless in the last year or two?
                                                                                                                      How can one maintain humour when there is so much injustice in the world? You heartless wretch!

Comment

...

Comment

I don't get the mindset where you would look at the inevitable future superpower and think "I'm going to set myself against the opportunities here and eventually become one of the sad old gits who mumbles in pubs about how it was all better when the previous superpower used to tweet about passing dementia tests". Change is exciting.
                                                                                                                          where do I sign up to become one of these old gits? I could pass a dementia test, perhaps

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X