This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Good chance of a result tomorrow now, hopefully the weather plays ball and it all comes down the final hour.
    Nicely set up. If Windies do well in the early exchanges England will find it hard to find a Time / Score tradeoff the Windies couldn't attack making the current 30/1 about them winning could look huge at some stage in the afternoon.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ouch, 37 $5k ME tickets up top. All in pre with AA v 99 for a top 20 chip stack. 99 Rivers the straight. Almost got sick in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Nicely set up. If Windies do well in the early exchanges England will find it hard to find a Time / Score tradeoff the Windies couldn't attack making the current 30/1 about them winning could look huge at some stage in the afternoon.
        Fifth day pitch, historically anything over 220 is a huge target. Should be a fun listen anyway - pimping Guerilla Cricket as a great alternative to traditional sources.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Wow love that Sutton Guardian article HiFi.
            the CAIN database (based on his work) is worth some time

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
              Ouch, 37 $5k ME tickets up top. All in pre with AA v 99 for a top 20 chip stack. 99 Rivers the straight. Almost got sick in my mouth.
              Puke . I do not miss that shit

Comment

Things I've learnt about BennyHiFi this weekend: 1) His life is so awesome that one of his great life regrets is not saying hello to a musician; 2) He was a dangerous guy to know during the troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

ah, you do miss inflicting it though

I do remember laying a similar beat down on someone in a big donkament back in the day. All the chips went in on the flop and when we flipped them over I was so far behind that I stood up and put on the coat. Some ludicrous inside straight runner-runner runout then ensued and lo and behold, the coat is off and a mountain of chips is being pushed my way. I then made the mistake of saying 'sorry' to the victim of this crime. Cue fireworks. "DON'T FUCKING APOLOGISE!!!!" followed by him slowly heading for the door emitting a stream of invective against fate that only got louder with each outburst.

Ah, the good auld days.

Comment

Penny dreadful:City Of Angles....wow, that dance scene!!
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I had forgotten how utterly soul-destroying the game is at times. I have had really key flips at major points in tournaments go against me over the last week about 10 times when most of them were 70/30 or better. I know you have won a load just to get to that point but man they hurt so much more when they are all going against you deep in tourneys. Silly but considering the time I spent playing it has all been a bit of a dream to play the ME. I thought all those bad beats were saving up for today's run. Poker gods don't care about your dreams.

He was 10% with the river to come

https://ibb.co/xsfTx3W

Comment

Funding is being pulled for CAIN I think. Its content will be left accessible, but no further updates or revisions
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Congrats to you and the family Laz. That is lovely news. How are mum and baby doing?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                            Things I've learnt about BennyHiFi this weekend: 1) His life is so awesome that one of his great life regrets is not saying hello to a musician; 2) He was a dangerous guy to know during the troubles.
                            Benny is one of those 'I'd love to go for a pint with him' type of guys.

They're the best guys.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Another beautiful lady in my life, 6lb 14, am in love.

Mama and bombolito flying it

Restrictions lifted just two days ago too, so I can visit every day.

This day is one of the good ones.
                              Congrats Conor. Great news ❤️
                              Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                Congrats to you and the family Laz. That is lovely news. How are mum and baby doing?
                                Doing good Gil, thank you very much.

They're doing really well, hopefully home tomorrow. A good bit of recovery needed for my wife physically, thankfully she has a good bit of support with it.

Comment

Kanye making The Donald look sane

“Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-07-20, 09:43.

Comment

Nothing really asking the right questions here, but I've bought two blazers in the past and both turned out to be fairly bad fitting, so I'm obviously not a great judge of a good blazer. So any advice that can reduce that happening again would be great.
                                      Maybe go to an actual tailor an get measured and fitted?
                                      “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Comment

I feel thats incredibly expensive?!
                                          less expensive than buying two blazers that don't fit

Comment

Comment

Looks like England got the number just right, 85 overs to stonewall a draw.

Would rather 33/1 the Windies win than 5/4 the draw but its England's to give away.

Comment

And its over bar the lack of shouting before 1

Comment

Fifth day pitch, historically anything over 220 is a huge target. Should be a fun listen anyway - pimping Guerilla Cricket as a great alternative to traditional sources.
                                                  IT'S HAPPENING......

Comment

Just catching up on the last few days here. Congrats Lazare on #3. Is that 3 girls now or was the middle kid a boy?

I spent most of Saturday and half of Sunday with the 8 month old lad, while the almost 3 year old lad was away with his mother. Would have been grand apart from the fact that I was putting up a trampoline any time the baby was asleep, as he can't be left alone at all now. He can pull himself up on furniture, toys, anything really, but he hasn't figured out that he has no balance yet so invariably falls over every time, often in areas he shouldn't be falling over in so needs constant attention because as soon as he is left down he bolts straight for the nearest leg/couch/toy. 3yo loved the trampoline when he got home anyway, so that's good. Hopefully it'll give him somewhere to use his boundless energy.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-07-20, 15:33. Reason: On re-reading, one single sentence had three sub-clauses in brackets. Shocking stuff.

Comment

Well after endless blazer testing (a small bit painful with a chest that was recently chopped down the middle) the supremely helpful and worryingly underemployed guy in Galerie Lafayette (an equivalent of Arnotts for those unfamiliar) persuaded me that the best fitting blazer was the one that cost €44 (heavily discounted to get to that price, but still). They clearly don't work on commission as my opening gambit was that I could spend about €200-300. It looks very very good in fairness.

I think because sales can only legally happen twice a year in France, even the sales staff get caught up in the bargain hunting excitement. But the sales this year are ridiculous. Just about every shop is half price on everything. No messing around. I'd say if you made an offer for a piece of fixture and fitting they'd even consider it.
                                                        I hope you bought a few of them in slightly different colours to be able to mix it up.

Comment

Comment

Stokes is good, best since Botham maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              Stokes is good, best since Botham maybe?
                                                              Botham was a better bowler but I think Stokes is a better bat, and a better fielder

Comment

Well after endless blazer testing (a small bit painful with a chest that was recently chopped down the middle) the supremely helpful and worryingly underemployed guy in Galerie Lafayette - an equivalent of Arnotts for those unfamiliar - persuaded me that the best fitting blazer was the one that cost €44: heavily discounted to get to that price, but still. They clearly don't work on commission as my opening gambit was that I could spend about €200-300. It looks very good in fairness.

I think because sales can only legally happen twice a year in France, even the sales staff get caught up in the bargain hunting excitement. But the sales this year are ridiculous. Just about every shop is half price on everything. No messing around. I'd say if you made an offer for a piece of fixture and fitting they'd even consider it.
                                                                I bought a pair of shoes in Mexico last year in a small shoe shop right in the heart of Mexico City. It was already a fun experience because I basically have no Spanish and the shopkeeper had no English. The shoes were great, and the price, which was on the sole, just at the limit of what I was prepared to pay. When I paid he handed back most of the money I gave him, it turned out there was a sale on; everything was 1/3rd the price of normal, which he managed to convey to me through gestures. I would never have known if he had let me walk out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I bought a pair of shoes in Mexico last year in a small shoe shop right in the heart of Mexico City. It was already a fun experience because I basically have no Spanish and the shopkeeper had no English. The shoes were great, and the price, which was on the sole, just at the limit of what I was prepared to pay. When I paid he handed back most of the money I gave him, it turned out there was a sale on; everything was 1/3rd the price of normal, which he managed to convey to me through gestures. I would never have known if he had let me walk out.
                                                                  Did you tip?
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

10 past six, last session of the final day. One wicket to win.

Test cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Did you tip?
                                                                      In a shoe shop?

Comment

I don't think a 3 year old should be using a trampoline (not that any kid should really be using one).

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                          Just catching up on the last few days here. Congrats Lazare on #3. Is that 3 girls now or was the middle kid a boy?

I spent most of Saturday and half of Sunday with the 8 month old lad, while the almost 3 year old lad was away with his mother. Would have been grand apart from the fact that I was putting up a trampoline any time the baby was asleep, as he can't be left alone at all now. He can pull himself up on furniture, toys, anything really, but he hasn't figured out that he has no balance yet so invariably falls over every time, often in areas he shouldn't be falling over in so needs constant attention because as soon as he is left down he bolts straight for the nearest leg/couch/toy. 3yo loved the trampoline when he got home anyway, so that's good. Hopefully it'll give him somewhere to use his boundless energy.
                                                                          Haha, they're wild.

3 girls Dom, I'm surrounded. Fun and games.

Comment

Went to The old Bank in Dungarvan this evening. Walked in thought oh wow this is gonna be fab. Some horsey lad owns it Micheal Ryan who was sitting on a big chair chatting away to anyone that came through the door while ordering peeps to wash their hands in the
                                                                            2 sinks fitted in the foyer . Staff amazing. The cocktail list was unreal (as were the prices) the outdoor terrace amazing etc. 2 menus one for outside wasn't really doing it for me so went with the inside menu.

Ordered scallops which I've only ever eaten maybe a handful of times and was getting to like them. Well now I don't like them now. They looked absolutely beautiful. Took a bite yuk they were cold, raw

I looked for pepper sauce for my steak and was told no chef didn't like pepper sauce, was tempted to look for HP sauce but looked for vinegar for my 7 chips instead
                                                                            ​​​​

Desert was amazing would want to be for the price. If down in Dungarvan I'd say pop in for a cocktail and head to The Moorings for grub. Wasn't impressed
                                                                            Attached Files
                                                                            Last edited by SatNav; 20-07-20, 22:26.
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

In a shoe shop?
                                                                              To a guy who saved you 2/3rd of the money you were willing to spend and whom probably was just earning 1 dollar an hour.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                    Went to The old Bank in Dungarvan this evening. Walked in thought oh wow this is gonna be fab. Some horsey lad owns it Micheal Ryan who was sitting on a big chair chatting away to anyone that came through the door while ordering peeps to wash their hands in the
                                                                                    2 sinks fitted in the foyer . Staff amazing. The cocktail list was unreal (as were the prices) the outdoor terrace amazing etc. 2 menus one for outside wasn't really doing it for me so went with the inside menu.

Ordered scallops which I've only ever eaten maybe a handful of times and was getting to like them. Well now I don't like them now. They looked absolutely beautiful. Took a bite yuk they were cold, raw

I looked for pepper sauce for my steak and was told no chef didn't like pepper sauce, was tempted to look for HP sauce but looked for vinegar for my 7 chips instead
                                                                                    ​​​​

Desert was amazing would want to be for the price. If down in Dungarvan I'd say pop in for a cocktail and head to The Moorings for grub. Wasn't impressed
                                                                                    Confirmed 7 chips.

Was the scallop dish supposed to be raw/cerviche/citrus acid cooked ? Have only tasted scallops cooked whole, other than that they are "raw" Yours look very opaque.
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Confirmed 7 chips.

Was the scallop dish supposed to be raw/cerviche/citrus acid cooked ? Have only tasted scallops cooked whole, other than that they are "raw" Yours look very opaque.
                                                                                      Only ever had them kinda fried? Can't really remember. Like I'm not into sushi raw salmon etc so was like oh jaysus how the fuck am I gonna eat this. But the flavour overall chilli and lime I think was nice but I can't deal with that raw texture... Like I've no doubt RD and crew would maybe enjoy it but ugh god no cold fish not for me. Didn't say on menu, I just saw scallops chilli lime etc and went ooh. Then after I ate them was told by my friend /companion oh you know they suck up all the dirt toxins in the sea. Em thanks for that. You could have told me before I ordered

"SLICED MARINATED SCALLOPS, CHILLI, LIME, MICRO Coriander

Last edited by SatNav; 21-07-20, 02:22.
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

To a guy who saved you 2/3rd of the money you were willing to spend and whom probably was just earning 1 dollar an hour.
                                                                                        This was a small boutique shoe shop in the middle of Mexico city shopping district, served by a middle aged man in a three piece suit. I don't think he was earning a dollar an hour.

Comment

Only ever had them kinda fried? Can't really remember. Like I'm not into sushi raw salmon etc so was like oh jaysus how the fuck am I gonna eat this. But the flavour overall chilli and lime I think was nice but I can't deal with that raw texture... Like I've no doubt RD and crew would maybe enjoy it but ugh god no cold fish not for me. Didn't say on menu, I just saw scallops chilli lime etc and went ooh. Then after I ate them was told by my friend /companion oh you know they suck up all the dirt toxins in the sea. Em thanks for that. You could have told me before I ordered
                                                                                          You can eat them raw, but those looks like cerviche rather than raw. They are "cooked" in an acidic juice like lime. Stop it going tough like when cook with high heat. But it's served cold, which people don't expect and imagine all sorts. A bit silly of them to leave the word off the menu, but I'd say that's what they were getting at with marinaded in lime and chilli.

Also, your companion was talking out of their hoop with the toxins. The part you ate is the muscle for closing the shell, that's it. Scallops have mouths and organs like anything else, but they are discarded. Except for the roe, which can be left of or removed (it was removed from yours).

Comment

"SLICED MARINATED SCALLOPS, CHILLI, LIME, MICRO Coriander
                                                                                            Sounds delicious - you probably shouldn't try abalone so

3-s2.0-B9780128015735000036-f03-05-9780128015735.jpg

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I'd say if you are popping something on the menu in a small place like Dungarvan you should go to a bit of effort in the menu explanation and adaptation to what people want. I'm sure its not the first time they've received back a semi-full plate of the starter in the kitchen. I guess also that SatNav was far from the first person to wonder if there was a pepper sauce to go with the steak. Some chefs get so up themselves.
                                                                                                  Doesn't like pepper sauce but likes pointless greenery sitting on the steak and those stupid giant chips. GTFO.

Comment

...

Comment

Pokerhand and HJ should have a virtue signal-off, refereed by keen eyed Detective Hitch.

Comment

Of course the real story of the meal is in the following intriguing sentence:

Why the forward slash /companion? Our author is clearly subconsciously uncomfortable with merely describing her dinner pal as a 'friend', which none of us would have blinked an eye at reading. But some part of her needs to define things even further to emphasize the importance of this relationship to her. There's a story there.

Maybe our authoress has commitment issues and is unsure as to whether she can designate this unknown person as a friend or merely a companion. I would think 'friend' denotes a higher degree of regard. 'Companion' suggests a more professional role such as a carer to an old person. Although this could be a more seedy relationship and perhaps this friend\companion is a paid escort of some sort.

Lots to think about here and silently judge SatNav for things she may or may not have done.

Of course the iodine in the shellfish may just have affected her frontal lobes and she has no idea what she is babbling on about either. Or she is still hammered on cocktails. Not everything has to be deep and meaningful.

Comment

I'm excluding France from that criticism of chefs as there's no helping them here. I pity the fool that asks for a well done steak. It's a rock I've overheard many waiters willingly die on, like someone has asked for a foreign exotic cuisine on which the chef is unfamiliar. Think it's also a bit iffy even asking for salt (notice how so few French restaurant tables have salt and pepper on them?) as I guess its a criticism of the fundamental seasoning ability of the chef.
                                                                                                          I was in a very good (in fact this one) South African steak restaurant once and an Irish lady made the mistake of asking for her steak well done. There were about a dozen of us at the table and the waiter politely noted the order and then said mildly 'chef won't like that'.

Sure enough, 2 minutes later, this enormous Afrikaner bursts out of the kitchen with his face red as a beetroot and starts roaring in Afrikaans. The jist of it being that no-one should insult his meat by ordering all the flavour to be grilled out of it and that the person who did this was a savage who should probably be grilled themselves. She changed her order to peri-peri chicken while the rest of us broke our shit laughing.

Chef had a whiskey with us after service and was more genial at that point.

Comment

Jesus, SA looks like savage value now with the ZAR rate. Be basically a tenner for a 500g ribeye in the best steak joint in Jo'burg.

Need to find a South African client....

Comment

I was in a very good (in fact this one) South African steak restaurant once and an Irish lady made the mistake of asking for her steak well done. There were about a dozen of us at the table and the waiter politely noted the order and then said mildly 'chef won't like that'.

Sure enough, 2 minutes later, this enormous Afrikaner bursts out of the kitchen with his face red as a beetroot and starts roaring in Afrikaans. The jist of it being that no-one should insult his meat by ordering all the flavour to be grilled out of it and that the person who did this was a savage who should probably be grilled themselves. She changed her order to peri-peri chicken while the rest of us broke our shit laughing.

Chef had a whiskey with us after service and was more genial at that point.

The brother is very fussy about his steaks being completely unadorned.
                                                                                                              I was watching him with eyebrows fully raised amusement as he emphatically explained how he would like his steak, each instruction accompanied with an emphatic slashing gesture with hand to illustrate its importance "no sauce at all", "no vegetables", "no potatoes" "just the steak alone", "nothing else at all".
                                                                                                              Poor young foreign looking waiter beginning to look slightly anxious at the weight of this added responsibility.

So I added a further instruction "To be on the safe side don't even bring the plate"

Even the waiter burst out laughing at that one.

Comment

​​​​

Picture 1
                                                                                                                "Chef we've run out of our elegantly understated white starter plates but I've cleaned out this hubcap we can use"

Pic 2
                                                                                                                "She wants WHAT sauce, hand me that cutting board! No don't bother cleaning it"

Comment

By the way beware SatNav for blonde lady\blonde son\2 * brunette daughters; they are currently on the loose in the Dungarvan area. Walk rapidly the other way if sighted.

Comment

Of course the real story of the meal is in the following intriguing sentence:

Why the forward slash /companion? Our author is clearly subconsciously uncomfortable with merely describing her dinner pal as a 'friend', which none of us would have blinked an eye at reading. But some part of her needs to define things even further to emphasize the importance of this relationship to her. There's a story there.

Sums it up perfectly.....

A companion is a person who frequently spends time with you, associates with you, or accompanies you when you go places. ... The word companion implies that you spend a lot of time together. A person you call a companion can be a friend or a romantic partner. A travel companion is someone you travel with.
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

By the way beware SatNav for blonde lady\blonde son\2 * brunette daughters; they are currently on the loose in the Dungarvan area. Walk rapidly the other way if sighted.
                                                                                                                      They are safe, mine was just a day trip.
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        Pokerhand and HJ should have a virtue signal-off, refereed by keen eyed Detective Hitch.
                                                                                                                        Ha. HJ would win that hands down as I would have no interest. I was curious on his views given his exploitation of underpaid Mexicans.

Comment

That Roger Stone 'arguing with this Negro' thing is absolutely bonkers.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X