This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carl Sagan, circa 1995
    I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Noticed the margarine sections in the shop have diminished dramatically in favour of real butter over the years. Yet Flora was the sign that you cared for your family's health as a kid. I'd imagine we'll be hearing about things like almond milk is a similar vein to margarine in a few years.
      The process for appointing a French Prime Minister seems bizarre (seems to basically be the President selecting a civil servant who no-one has ever heard of and going "OK, France meet your new PM")

Explain this strangeness please from your sick bed.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Anyone got any recommendations for West Cork area for medium-sized kids (13\11\9). Skibbereen\Baltimore area.
        Already booked one of these lads.

Comment

Can follow a recipe. Just don't quite know how or why things balance. It's surely not that unusual to not know much about something you've never really had any training in.
          Exactly the same. I think there is probably no substitute for learning in-person from a good cook, probably as a small child.

I can follow a recipe exactly to the smallest detail and then go 'OK, that really didn't taste like it should'. I have no feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I've really enjoyed his videos and learned a lot from them. Joel Robuchon's famous mashed potatoes are 50/50 butter to potato!
            Yeah, I've loved his videos, to the point where Mrs Lao Lao now calls me 'such a fucking fan boy' in jest. I'm looking forward to the one tonight with his parents, should be a bit of craic.

Comment

So, tomorrow, myself and Mrs Lao Lao are one year married. Yesterday we headed back down to our wedding venue (which only fully reopened on Wednesday) for some breakfast/brunch and a stroll around the grounds where we got married.

Yesterday was also Mrs Lao Lao's Dad's birthday who she has only seen once in the last 16 weeks. So we invited him over for a birthday/romantic anniversary dinner.

Pork chops on the bone, wilted spinach and roasted spuds, parsnips, pears and carrots.

All washed down with a nice Bordeaux.

SPOILER

P.S. There was only a smidgen of butter used in the wilting of the spinach.

Comment

Can follow a recipe. Just don't quite know how or why things balance. It's surely not that unusual to not know much about something you've never really had any training in.
                Fair enough if we’re talking about advanced techniques like umami flavours, or balancing bitterness. Or some of the pizza making black magic posted here.
                but I’d have thought the purpose of salt was pretty basic.

On a related note, whenever something from scratch tastes a bit bland compare to the
                jar/packet/takeaway version. Most of the time it probably just needs salt.
                Last edited by Mellor; 05-07-20, 11:33.

Comment

Next IPB get together....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dje-0kzkjek&t=54s
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

uh3g2bd16b7x.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Spent last night evening watching this from 2010.

Even better .

Really enjoyed that, thanks.

Comment

Gibbet Rath. The Curragh of a Sunday morning.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

They'll be offering a drive through service next.

"Can we take your order please"
                            "Yes could I have 4 scourges regular please with a side order of 2 large stonings"
                            "would you like hair shorts with that sir"
                            "Yes please 2 large and 2 regular thanks:
                            "Thank you that will be €400 if you could just proceed to waiting area number 2 , one of our Jesuits will be with you shortly"

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Really enjoyed that, thanks.
                              The boy Killian had some decade after that so it seems.

Comment

The boy Killian had some decade after that so it seems.
                                Must be a good advantage being born and living/training at altitude. Tough competitor all right.

Liked the running style of the second place lad, lands to front of foot, looks economical.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Anyone got any recommendations for West Cork area for medium-sized kids (13\11\9). Skibbereen\Baltimore area.
                                  Already booked one of these lads.
                                  Avoid Baltimore. Absolutely nothing to do for the kids and fuck all to do for adults really. Spent a long weekend there once and couldnt wait to leave. Cobh is a nice spot with more options, Fota and closer to the city if you're stuck for entertainment. I dont know Skibb. If you're set on west cork, I'd prefer Roscarbery/Clonakilty area.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

THIS. If you've never met a real sociopath or if you've never had a sociopath reveal themselves to you before it can be unbelievably strange. Stay as far away from her as you possibly can, never be alone with her and be absolutely sure to tell someone you trust about the experience.
                                    Ran into that person again. Confirmed sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Joel Robuchon's famous mashed potatoes are 50/50 butter to potato!
                                      I've had these and found them way too rich for my taste. Like eating a piece of velvet but not in a nice way (quite a wet texture IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Is that why you centered your post?

Confirmed insane

Give us the details, I enjoyed the first tale. Could very much relate to your emotions and thoughts.

Comment

Always had a soft spot for Southampton.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Is that why you centered your post?

Confirmed insane

Give us the details, I enjoyed the first tale. Could very much relate to your emotions and thoughts.
                                            Sounds convoluted but.

Six months ago her then boyfriend expressed his feelings for my girlfriend. Sociopath and boyfriend broke up. We haven't seen them until last night. They got back together,came to a party we were at.

She made a beeline for me. She asked me was I working (I had a trading role fall through due to covid), was I still living in my place, asked was it crippling, it must not be what I want for my life etc etc. To everyone else she's a fun outing person. I'd come across as crazy if I tried to describe her behaviour to people.

​So odd. Last I saw them she was drunkenly driving a car load of people to another party.

Comment

Sounds convoluted but.

Six months ago her then boyfriend expressed his feelings for my girlfriend. Sociopath and boyfriend broke up. We haven't seen them until last night. They got back together,came to a party we were at.

She made a beeline for me. She asked me was I working (I had a trading role fall through due to covid), was I still living in my place, asked was it crippling, it must not be what I want for my life etc etc. To everyone else she's a fun outing person. I'd come across as crazy if I tried to describe her behaviour to people.

​So odd. Last I saw them she was drunkenly driving a car load of people to another party.
                                              What's the boyfriend like? Does he have any level of awareness?

Comment

He's not an idiot but he is a mess. Think he's binded/captivated by her. Her sister is an award winning actress and she has similar level skills. I found it rather unsettling when she demonstrated before how she could put emotions on.

Comment

Amazing the people we work/play with and we haven't a clue who they are.

Frank Murphy (RIP) was a Fitz tournament regular and played on the downstairs tourney table usually. A nicer gent you could not meet. Unassuming and modest.
                                                  I remember chatting to him saying how I was doing a bit of running etc. He said that he had done a bit himself when younger but nothing to indicate the remarkable athlete that he was.
                                                  1500 metre silver medalist in the European Championships in 1969 and a 2 time Olympian

I only found this out after he had passed away in 2017.

Wish I'd known sooner I'd have plagued him with questions!

Comment

Frank Murphy (RIP) was a Fitz tournament regular and played on the downstairs tourney table usually. A nicer gent you could not meet. Unassuming and modest.
                                                    I remember chatting to him saying how I was doing a bit of running etc. He said that he had done a bit himself when younger but nothing to indicate the remarkable athlete that he was.
                                                    1500 metre silver medalist in the European Championships in 1969 and a 2 time Olympian

He was always willing and ready to talk about his career with pride and without any sort of self aggrandising in his own good natured way, as you say Frank was a gent and always a pleasure to meet.
                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-07-20, 22:17.

Comment

I can't say I didn't have any clue of what this guy is made of but I heard a terrible story tonight about a lad I know who apparently attempted to commit suicide with a gun but only managed to blow away half his face.
                                                      Fucking hell

Comment

Aww I never knew he died. A gent indeed. Always wanted to deal/chop. Did a bad deal once as it was him and I couldn't say no. Such a nice man. Got slagged over the chop but more important things eh. Rest in peace . Time is racing by

Comment

Odds on pubs being shut again before end of month?
                                                          its not going to work-solid piss being taken already

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I can't say I didn't have any clue of what this guy is made of but I heard a terrible story tonight about a lad I know who apparently attempted to commit suicide with a gun but only managed to blow away half his face.
                                                            Fucking hell

Jesus, thats horrific

Comment

Aww I never knew he died. A gent indeed. Always wanted to deal/chop. Did a bad deal once as it was him and I couldn't say no. Such a nice man. Got slagged over the chop but more important things eh. Rest in peace . Time is racing by

An absolute gent. Always had a shirt and tie on. Didn't know he had died, didn't know his story either.

This is a nice article about him.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/far...tics-1.2928308
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

My skin crawls even thinking about meeting one. It's beyond describable.
                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

My skin crawls even thinking about meeting one. It's beyond describable.
                                                                  I'd assume we've all met sociopaths multiple times, given the stats of frequency that are thrown about.
                                                                  I think the difference is that most sociopaths presumably wear a mask all the time. Whereas Denny's sociopath seem to enjoy winking at him from behind the mask.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    Odds on pubs being shut again before end of month?
                                                                    its not going to work-solid piss being taken already
                                                                    It'll be at about 6 weeks before anyone getting newly infected will die. Think daily deaths will have to rise to about 5 or above before most people will really be bothered, I'd guess about the second week in September.
                                                                    “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

The maestro is dead

RIP Ennio.

Comment

Comment

Just drop this one in here:

Comment

Comment

Got given underwear today for the first time. Felt like a dobby the house elf moment in my gratitude. It's really hard to find the right facial expressions to convey "I know it's not why we're here, I really do appreciate that, lets get on with the medical stuff, but I still want you to know that it's normally bigger" to the hot nurse staring at your manhood.
                                                                              Be glad the it was recently shaved

Comment

Chest drain still in Hitch ?
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

R
                                                                                    There's one person I met in work maybe four years ago where we were on opposite sides of a dispute and one particular incident in my office where it seemed like his whole demeanor just changed in a blink during what seemed like friendly enough jostling. I've been in a lot of disputes over the years, but never seen anything like this almost immediate change in personality. Like I still go cold thinking about it and spend maybe an hour trembling afterwards even though it was just some meaningless words that I can't even remember now.

I'd say a key to distinguish between someone you just don't like or get, and someone approaching a sociopath is that there is a surprisingly large number of people against the person despite them being, on paper, really capable.

This guy was given some minor responsibility and somehow managed to turn it into the most discussed thing in the school. Everyone disagreeing on it, and all focus on this role, despite it being almost completely meaningless. I've actually done this role for the last two years and don't think anyone even knows I do it, its that minor. Yet with him - all the focus was on him.

He was actually fired from the school. Which is some achievement in France. I've gone missing for months on end and all people have said is 'well you should really try to work'. It's so fucking hard to be fired. Then he went to a new school and was fired from there three months later. The bit I'm maybe reading too much into is that I met his wife a few times as our kids were in the same school and she always had a very battered look about her. Not physically, more like she had been destructed mentally. That could very well be in my head though.
                                                                                    Clearly not a very highly-functioning sociopath.

Reads more like a self-important dickhead.

Comment

...

Comment

Mad to think Ennio was just a year older that Clint . So was very young composing those iconic scores .

His music has a life of it's own now . Loved this clip .
                                                                                        still get goosebumps

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

Just drop this one in here:

There are two kinds of people in this world my friend, Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig!

Comment

Comment

Read the Jon Ronson book about sociopaths (spoiler: we vastly overdiagnose). Another book by some Harvard guy saying sociopathic tendencies are quite common in CEOs.
                                                                                                I’d imagine we do over-diagnose. Things like the line between tendencies not necessarily being proof of clinical sociopathy.
                                                                                                I'd say a key to distinguish between someone you just don't like or get, and someone approaching a sociopath is that there is a surprisingly large number of people against the person despite them being, on paper, really capable.
                                                                                                Could just be a narcissistic arsehole.
                                                                                                Aren’t sociopaths often charming? Or is that only full blown psychopaths?

Comment

decided to work from local coffee shop this afternoon
                                                                                                  absolute fucking bliss compared to working at home....
                                                                                                  if only it was a pub
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                    if only it was a pub
                                                                                                    Pub over the road from me opened last week. Went up Friday for pints. No food needed. No time limit. Nobody allowed up to the bar. Table service only. Tables well spaced out and plenty of hand sanitizer around the place. And the porter was fucking gorgeous..

Few aul lads were wrapping up their days drinking as we arrived. Perched up watching the racing. Owners seemed sound too. Was a great evening. 2 Garda came in at one stage, looked around, spoke to owner and left. Didnt give a shite

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      if only it was a pub
                                                                                                      going back to my office on Weds...thank God

Comment

The WSOP main event is being played on GGPoker due to Covid. It is a $5k buyin with $25m guarantee. They had a $20 sat for it last night with 20 tickets guarantee. $40k overlay in the sat.

Comment

Seeing as it is going to be the biggest online poker tournament in history. Would there be any interest in forming some kind of syndicate to stick someone into it for a sweat? $5k buy so 1% = $50. We could do something fun like for every one percentage a person takes they get a ticket into the draw. Whoever is drawn out plays the event. Maybe do $55 a % so the person playing gets a bigger percentage for themselves. Any interest?

Comment

Genius

Comment

There is an Enrico Morricone tribute on fip right now for anyone who wants to tune in

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Climbed Mount Brandon today, hell of a slog and the scramble to the summit is very bloody challenging (to me at least). I'd guess if you'd done anything other than drink red wine, eat steak and family sized bars of Cadburys Caramel for the past 3 years you might take it a little better than I did.

Comment

Thats a class idea, although maybe the person who plays is someone with the time and some sort of skill. As in there is a pool of 'just funders' and a pool of 'funders, potential players'.
                                                                                                                      Yeah, it certainly needs some refining in terms of how it would work as you say I am sure loads of people don't have the time. Also maybe $60 a share to give the playing player a large percentage considering it is a bit of commitment on their part.

The great thing is I believe in the GGPoker client you can do staking through the site. So someone puts up they are selling x percentage to the tournament. Everyone can just sign in pay for the % and then it gets transferred straight to each person's account after the tournament so no one needs to be messing around with the money side of things. I'll fire up a thread tomorrow and see what interest there is in doing it.

Comment

Wondering if someone could help me / point me in the right direction.

I've been playing a tiny bit of poker recently and enjoying it, and would like to put a small amount (couple of grand) onto play some mid stake MTTs. Issue is we're intent on applying for a mortgage later in the year and - while this is money I can easily afford to lose - my fiancé is uncomfortable with me depositing the money myself. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Is there something obvious, like set up an esoteric payment type or something else? I looked into friends depositing and transferring to me but this doesn't seem to be an option on stars due to deposit and transfer limits (you need to have played a lot to move money around it seems).
                                                                                                                        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 06-07-20, 20:31.
                                                                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                          Genius

I must be having a stroke because I'm getting a serious smell of toast

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X