This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Slightly hypothetical here in the absence of an employment contract (allegedly in process of being issued). But. Is there any obvious flaws in this commute plan?:

1. Staying in Foxrock, so get the LUAS at 'Central Park'
    2. Take LUAS straight through to Cabra
    3. Foldable bike to do the remaining 10-15 min cycle from Cabra to Glasnevin's finest.

Same journey in reverse to get home. Should be space on LUAS as starting early in the route on both ends so unlikely to be full. Foldable bikes don't seem big or inconvenient for other people. Probably go for a Brompton with their handy rollable cases so as not to inconvenience anyone: https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gb.../c-1651/p-4859
    on the exceedingly rare occasion I've been on the Green Line, it's been fucking packed to the gills. It would be a seriously horrible commute imo.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I've very modestly dipped my toes into the 2019 En Primeur sales - One of the wines I've gotten is a dozen bottles of the 2nd wine of Chateau Gruaud Larose - Sarget - At 23 quid a bottle plus duty and taxes some time in 2022, it should still come in just under 30 quid a bottle which is great value. Plus the crowd I order from do free delivery on all En Primeur orders.

Is that from Millesima? Been tempted to order a few bits from them but I prefer the live experience when in France.

Comment

I'd be very slow to pick the Luas as the option for that commute. Half the cycle is pretty straightforward in that from foxrock to Donnybrook there's good cycle lanes all the way. Obviously gets a little tougher after that. If you're not happy to cycle, the bus is your best bet. 46a or 145 into the city centre and then either folding bike or another bus from there

Comment

I just simply don't trust Dublin taxi and bus drivers and pretty much every other road user to be on the road cycling for two hours a day.
          Not all cycle routes are equal. I think it’s worth a try as there are multiple benefits if you could get a route that you were comfortable with. I’d go longer distance to have a safer route but an e-bike where you dial back the assistance over time is a great option imo.
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

on the exceedingly rare occasion I've been on the Green Line, it's been fucking packed to the gills. It would be a seriously horrible commute imo.
            Getting on at Central Park heading towards town isn't a bad stop to pick though; even if packed arriving there, lots and lots of people get off as it is a major employment centre. I've been on full Luas arriving there and can never remember anyone being left behind, as opposed to the previous stop Glencairn, which is a 'getting on' only stop in the morning so no opportunities to take an alighting person's spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Feck it Brian, you've twisted my arm. I may buy a bottle of that Meerlust.

Where in the house would be a good place to store it. A kitchen press work fine?

A wardrobe?
              Anywhere that is dark and doesn't get too much variation on temperature (ideally cool but not cold) although the lack of light is more important. If you're putting it in a kitchen press, don't put it one that you open every 20 minutes to get stuff out of.

I keep mine in the cupboard under the stairs.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III
              who are you doing the en primeur buying through?
              Millesima - website is here - https://www.millesima.ie/

Originally posted by zuutroy
              Is that from Millesima? Been tempted to order a few bits from them but I prefer the live experience when in France.
              Yeah, that's them. It's my 3rd year buying from them - 1st two years I was a bit cautious, even though I know how En Primeur works, I was still a bit weary about handing over cash to a company I'd never dealt with before on the promise they'd turn up with wine in 18-24 months, silly I know but how and ever. So first two years I just went with a few dozen bottles of a good Bordeaux Superior which is great value. It works out about €12 a bottle (inc VAT & Duty) and the equivalent here would be around 16-18 quid.

This year I've gone with another couple dozen bottles of the Superior, plus a dozen of the Sarget plus a dozen of Lynch Bages 2nd wine - Echo.

The only problem is that you get an e-mail every day with new releases so their is a temptation to keep going back in

What way does it work when you head over to France?
              Last edited by Lao Lao; 18-06-20, 21:32.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Slightly hypothetical here in the absence of an employment contract (allegedly in process of being issued). But. Is there any obvious flaws in this commute plan?:

1. Staying in Foxrock, so get the LUAS at 'Central Park'
                  2. Take LUAS straight through to Cabra
                  3. Foldable bike to do the remaining 10-15 min cycle from Cabra to Glasnevin's finest.

Same journey in reverse to get home. Should be space on LUAS as starting early in the route on both ends so unlikely to be full. Foldable bikes don't seem big or inconvenient for other people. Probably go for a Brompton with their handy rollable cases so as not to inconvenience anyone: https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gb.../c-1651/p-4859
                  I may have missed this been mentioned already but why Foxrock to live?

I get it's a nice area but that commute no matter how you do it just sounds a bit woeful.

If you're going to be working in DCU, there should be good housing options around Glasnevin/Drumcondra/Phibsorough and your loot will go much further than in Foxrock.

Comment

The brother was suggesting an escooter. They outnumber bikes here in Rennes by about 10-to-1 so there's probably some decent benefits.
                    Would be far more worried about getting through city centre traffic on an e scooter than on a bike

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How do you deal with Windows licensing?
                        Kinguin for grey licencing.

Though don't really use Windows much anymore tbh.

Comment

Comment

@Hitch - those Brompton bikes are utter shite

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What way does it work when you head over to France?
                                  Take the plane over...lots of browsing in various 'caves'. Ultimately the spend is limited by the payload of the plane, around 100 bottles. Not much point buying too much wine to have it rest on the sea bed! In my experience beyond €40-50 the price-quality return starts to drop off. I find Millesima just a little expensive and that stops me from pulling the trigger.

Comment

Cycling in Dublin City is probably not as bad as you think it would be. Ebike is definitely something worth a bit more consideration. They seem to be finally making some decent progress around infrastructure as well

Don't forget commuting by luas etc is likely to be a bit different for the next year or so to people's experience too.

Comment

Comment

My foray into being a wine collector begins with Xing out of the bargain reduced bottle of Meerlust webpage because it's €7 to get DPD to deliver it to me.

I'll swing by.

Looking forward to flying my plane to France for 100 bottles.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Also folding ebikes are starting to become a thing.

Actually I suspect a portion of this 360M a year if the government goes ahead will probably be retrofitting PT with bike carrying facilities
                                          Last edited by Keane; 18-06-20, 22:24.

Comment

Speaking of being back, I did a €14,000 deal with a woman this week for blinds for her 4 bed gaff.

Comment

Comment

Speaking of being back, I did a €14,000 deal with a woman this week for blinds for her 4 bed gaff.
                                                were they made of solid gold?

Comment

easy enough for trains anyway. Its just an extra carriage. the modern ones are quite smartly designed with loads of seats.
                                                  we don't have outdoor storage so have folding bikes (you just can't leave bikes outside in London, they get stolen almost immediately). i've got a tern which imo is much better that the brompton due to wheelsize and ease of folding. granted it takes a bit more space than a brompton but rides so much better . In any event, we've just bought a folding electric bike for wifey so she can go to work on it without too much effort. We bought her the btwin one from decathlon. cheap and cheerful, so i'll let you know how she gets on with it

Comment

Want the kids to go to the French school in Foxrock so they're not missing out. They're in a brill school here and that school seemed the most comfortable way of giving them the best repeat performance. It felt otherwise that we'd be lowering what they have to improve our own adult things. It's also that they do an 8am-6pm day and bring in the extra curricular activities into the school which we'd probably slack off on if we had to organise it ourselves. And - and I do feel like a horribly *something* person for saying this - but we didn't want them to wear uniforms or do religion or Irish class.
                                                    Kids are way more adaptable than adults, 3 months in a regular Irish school and they'll have forgotten what their French school was like. If this was part of the t&cs of moving to Ireland with Mrs Hitch though, then I fully understand.

Tbh, for that commute, you might as well bite the bullet and drive round the M50 every day. Which would be horrendous in of itself.

Comment

I’ll never ever understand the price of blinds

Comment

Kids are way more adaptable than adults, 3 months in a regular Irish school and they'll have forgotten what their French school was like. If this was part of the t&cs of moving to Ireland with Mrs Hitch though, then I fully understand.

Tbh, for that commute, you might as well bite the bullet and drive round the M50 every day. Which would be horrendous in of itself.
                                                        Alternatively Hitch, you could buy in blackrock which is still fine for kids school commute and you could take the coast road with the bike.

Comment

Tell her to slide into my DMs

Comment

were they made of solid gold?
                                                            High end yo.

Ah it's not your average 4 bed house. 38 blinds and 3x curtains.
                                                            Most of them automated, massive windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Alternatively Hitch, you could buy in blackrock which is still fine for kids school commute and you could take the coast road with the bike.
                                                              Yup, not sure why i managed to forget this point, I went to school beside that french school. Anywhere along newtownpark avenue (well maybe not the lower half) or kill lane is still in reasonable walking distance to that school

Comment

Comment

Comment

Do the blinds come with people to open/close them for her when needed? We did our 4 bed house for around 500 I think.

Comment

Any way to stop seeing the advertising banner at the top of the page?

Comment

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Mapped Covid cases

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Do the blinds come with people to open/close them for her when needed? We did our 4 bed house for around 500 I think.
                                                                          Automated he said so basically yes. Tis fierce handy and cool having them synced to the sunrise and sunset for example.
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Automated he said so basically yes. Tis fierce handy and cool having them synced to the sunrise and sunset for example.
                                                                            Who the fuck wants their blinds opening at 5am

Comment

That's daylight robbery m8. In before solks, he must be slippin
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                I’ll never ever understand the price of blinds
                                                                                We need to cut him some slack, he's a wine fine habit to maintain now, that isn't cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Who the fuck wants their blinds opening at 5am
                                                                                  Early morning folk which I’ve turned myself into.

Comment

Handy and cool isn't worth 14k. I assume money is essentially no object though in this instance. It'd need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Handy and cool isn't worth 14k. I assume money is essentially no object though in this instance. It'd need to be.
                                                                                      38 blinds man and curtains on big windows. Easily done. Pay 700-800k for a nice house and then go cheap on the blinds? Come on.

Comment

HA

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1592250212
                                                                                        Fox News’ coverage of the Seattle protests has taken another hit after the news organisation quoted a Reddit Monty Python joke as real for its viewers.  Martha MacCallum, host of Fox News’ The Story, was covering Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) for her viewers, which included claims from the cable news channel that there were leadership problems within the

Comment

38 blinds man and curtains on big windows. Easily done. Pay 700-800k for a nice house and then go cheap on the blinds? Come on.
                                                                                          14k is probably akin to rubbing money on your tittes. 5k for example wouldn't be going cheap reminds me of the Billy Connolly skit when he went to buy a Carpet for his mansion and when he was told the price he was a welder again. FOR A FKIN CARPET???

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                Any way to stop seeing the advertising banner at the top of the page?
                                                                                                You can use any ad-blocking or privacy extension in your browser of choice. However I don't use it on IPB and some other sites to make sure they get the ad revenue needed to run the site.

Comment

Early morning folk which I’ve turned myself into.
                                                                                                  It's been consistent across my life that when left to my own devices that noon to 4am is my natural cycle. Probably less than ideal. It's a good thing that I was into poker and not selling bread.

Comment

Media mole tells me Leo is going live at 7.30pm.

That's gotta be an acceleration of easing restrictions surely.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

You can use any ad-blocking or privacy extension in your browser of choice. However I don't use it on IPB and some other sites to make sure they get the ad revenue needed to run the site.
                                                                                                      More so for the phone. Dont really use ipb on laptop. I uninstalled the pokio apps after playing it once so just dont want to see ads for it really.

Comment

Media mole tells me Leo is going live at 7.30pm.

That's gotta be an acceleration of easing restrictions surely.
                                                                                                        His resignation maybe? Handing over to M Martin.

Comment

More so for the phone. Dont really use ipb on laptop. I uninstalled the pokio apps after playing it once so just dont want to see ads for it really.
                                                                                                          Ah the ol bad beat tossing the laptop out the window and deleting poker application. - Nostalgia .

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's been consistent across my life that when left to my own devices that noon to 4am is my natural cycle. Probably less than ideal. It's a good thing that I was into poker and not selling bread.
                                                                                                            I wonder if any of this is partially determined by your location's latitude? With Ireland having shorter days in winter and longer days in summer for example. I definitely wake earlier and sleep later in Summer. During Winter I feel like I need more sleep each day. My gf said it was as much of an adjustment to the daylight hours as climate when moving from Brazil. They have less variation for the most part, due to equatorial proximity.

In my early 20's I tended to be closer to your natural cycle. Video Games, Hobbies, Sports and Socialising were all evening-night activities. That said half of my 20's I didn't have set work hours or an office job. In my 30's I typically sleep before 11:30pm and wake around 6.30am. Pretty much lines up with regular office hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ah the ol bad beat tossing the laptop out the window and deleting poker application. - Nostalgia .
                                                                                                              I believe move up levels was the appropriate response back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I like exercising in the morning as it sets me up for the day so that helps. You gotta go to bed early though for a while to create a routine on that side of things. After a few weeks then it becomes a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Haha. No, that was my paddy power account years back. Pokio was a couple of free rolls thankfully. Just didnt like the app or the software so deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

His resignation maybe? Handing over to M Martin.
                                                                                                                    Possibly. Source says easing of restrictions and they Havent been wrong yet. Changed to 6.30 now too.

Comment

They're not going to switch leader while were in the middle of reopening stages. Otherwise the people would say ah heyor whose running the bleedin country? and just start to speed up making their own rules.

Comment

Possibly. Source says easing of restrictions and they Havent been wrong yet. Changed to 6.30 now too.
                                                                                                                        He won't be resigning until the parties have voted through the program for government. That's a fortnight away...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X