This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Good to see The Guardian looking into one of the biggest annoyances of streaming services - their refusal to make it easy for you to watch the credits.
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/15/the-end-of-credits-why-doesnt-netflix-want-us-to-watch-them
    Finally someone talking about the real issues of today

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      Thoughts of the FG faithful on the program for government and MM as Taoiseach?
      If it goes wrong during what is going to be a horrible time to be in charge...FF might finally do the decent thing and die!?

if it goes right, FG might for the first time in Christ knows take over country when it hasn't been totally fucked by FF

I would have thought win-win!?
      Last edited by Guest; 15-06-20, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        If we can get that 360 million a year extra on public transport (metro on top), its an absolute game changer in terms of the place of people vs cars in society. It's generally unstoppable once you start prioritising people.
        It's actually €360M per year on walking and cycling infrastructure. To be carved out before/separately to a new 2:1 ratio on transport spending between public transport and roads.

It's actually hard to even figure out what you could spend 1M a day on in terms of cycling and walking but zomfg the potential is unbelievable. Without using any imagination you would think a small fraction of that is all that would be required for a top-spec nationwide network of Greenways which could be achieved really quickly. Dutch level cycling infrastructure in the cities and large towns would be transformative to a level I don't think people really understand. Something like 60% of ALL adults in Amsterdam cycle daily.

Comment

Of course if it does go well/badly one or the other will probably go for an election before MM time in charge ends

All in the game yo

Comment

Thoughts of the FG faithful on the program for government and MM as Taoiseach?
            I'm not the target market for this question but this is actually the outcome I had hoped for beforehand. I think there's potentially a good balance between the pragmatism of FG and the imperative to rapid change from the Green side. FF round it out nicely in that they act as a buffer for the Greens to ensure the small party doesn't get ridden roughshod over and blamed for everything. They're also clearly trying to avoid SF eating their lunch so as a SF supporter you're probably going to get a lot of the stuff you want out of FF.

TBH the SF manifesto for the election was a bit shit - I think they expected to do badly and leaned a bit farther towards the wingnut side to try and get a bit more attention in a race where it looked like they were going to be irrelevant. FF cherry-picking the better elements to implement from SF would be a win.

I think it's a big positive that we get to keep some very capable people at the decision making table as well. Michael McGrath and Pascal seem like a duo that should do very well in the finance positions - they seem to always be on the same page. Coveney, Humphreys, Harris, Varadkar, Martin, Jim O'Callaghan all pretty capable. It's good to have them all working together.

Comment

I'm personally pleased that we will have a government in place as there are difficult challenges ahead. I'm also delighted to see the green influence on the program, and there's a lot in there that sounds good tbh.

FF and FG in it together with SF on the other side of the aisle breaks the status quo, possibly forever. More than anything else, this makes the government agreement truly historic.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Anything you feel is obviously missing from it Lloyd? Seems a reasonably comprehensive document. Albeit it's all aspirational and a lot remains to be seen about how they get any of it actually done.
                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Also, the appointment of the next Attorney General will be really quite interesting. It seems that was a sticking point late in the negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    Anything you feel is obviously missing from it Lloyd? Seems a reasonably comprehensive document. Albeit it's all aspirational and a lot remains to be seen about how they get any of it actually done.
                    Not really. if they actually did everything outlined in it over the next half decade while charting a course through Brexit and Covid 19 they'd be the greatest government in the history of the state.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Not really. if they actually did everything outlined in it over the next half decade while charting a course through Brexit and Covid 19 they'd be the greatest government in the history of the state.
                      Standard programme for government so.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

It's actually €360M per year on walking and cycling infrastructure. To be carved out before/separately to a new 2:1 ratio on transport spending between public transport and roads.

It's actually hard to even figure out what you could spend 1M a day on in terms of cycling and walking but zomfg the potential is unbelievable. Without using any imagination you would think a small fraction of that is all that would be required for a top-spec nationwide network of Greenways which could be achieved really quickly. Dutch level cycling infrastructure in the cities and large towns would be transformative to a level I don't think people really understand. Something like 60% of ALL adults in Amsterdam cycle daily.
                        Cycling in Amsterdam is a spiritual experience. The dream. Cars can fuck off out of a city centre but at least that is a great alternative.

Comment

10,000 social houses per year and changes to planning to now provide for Social and Affordable provision (back to the good old days) through planning rather than the 10% Social as it is now. No detail on what these changes will be or the breakdown, will be interesting when this detail comes out.

Comment

Just been to Aldi, now I usually go at night but, fairly decent size crowd in it, nobody at the door counting numbers and people walking into isles when there clearly is a good few already in it

I guess social distancing is over!?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                              Just been to Aldi, now I usually go at night but, fairly decent size crowd in it, nobody at the door counting numbers and people walking into isles when there clearly is a good few already in it

I guess social distancing is over!?
                              I think they are using an automated device to count the number of people entering and leaving. They certainly installed new barriers recently that 'beep' when you pass through it. I assume an alarm goes off when a predetermined number is reached.

Also this is new to me

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 15-06-20, 16:42.
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ok cool

But I didn't see it, looks like nobody else did either

If it's there it is not clear
                                Last edited by Guest; 15-06-20, 16:56.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

They've just abandoned everything in France. Said its just impractical and we'll carry on as normal.
                                    Delays any thoughts of going back this summer

Weird country, from my very brief time their, set strict laws/rules that they have no interest in following

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Delays any thoughts of going back this summer

Weird country, from my very brief time their, set strict laws/rules that they have no interest in following
                                      My plane is French registered and all of the regulatory documentation is very authoritarian and scary but the reality is people just do what they please and no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

My plane is French registered and all of the regulatory documentation is very authoritarian and scary but the reality is people just do what they please and no one cares.
                                        The best version I could figure out is do what you want, we don't really care but accept if you mess up, the law is strict and you could get proper fucked

Comment

They've just abandoned everything in France. Said its just impractical and we'll carry on as normal.
                                          We have effectively done that here too

Comment

Good to see The Guardian looking into one of the biggest annoyances of streaming services - their refusal to make it easy for you to watch the credits.
                                            https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/15/the-end-of-credits-why-doesnt-netflix-want-us-to-watch-them
                                            Thank you. I thought I was alone in the world. End credits are often essential.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

This isn't bad, total opposites who hate each other because they are near enough the same
                                              Last edited by Guest; 15-06-20, 18:14.

Comment

Linfields UVF shirt is backfiring slightly

Was chatting to my Dad about it and he told me an old Jock Stein story

He was asked by a journalist if two players became available of equal skill, one Protestant, one Catholic and he could only sign one, which would he take

The Protestant says Stein

But your a Catholic club replies the journalist

Ya, but Rangers won't sign the Catholic
                                                Sportswear manufacturer Umbro have said they will not be promoting Linfield's new football kit on any of their channels.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Cycling in Amsterdam is a spiritual experience. The dream. Cars can fuck off out of a city centre but at least that is a great alternative.
                                                      Yeah, very few mamils, helmets or way overspeced 2 grand bikes for the 3km commute home.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The Royal Ascot tipping comp is assembling a crowd. Don't suffer FOMO, sign up now.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I have to say, anyone who wears footwear when walking on a beach is clearly a sexual pervert of the worst kind.

Although, based on my heavily scientific study this evening, that seems to include 70% of the population hereabouts.

Comment

Is Da 5 Bloods worth watching?
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Want hormone free?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                The Royal Ascot tipping comp is assembling a crowd. Don't suffer FOMO, sign up now.
                                                                still a few hours left, cough cough rounders and other such types

Comment

how do you post a gif in this new place?

Comment

I didn't bother to read the article because who cares but 'The FAI sue former auditors Deloitte' is the sort of uplifting headline you'd be crying out for with all the doom and gloom around.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        I have to say, anyone who wears footwear when walking on a beach is clearly a sexual pervert of the worst kind.
                                                                        You'd be a brave man walking some of the North Dublin beaches without something on your feet during a sunny spell - plenty of hidden broken bottles and ring pulls from cans just waiting to send you to A&E.
                                                                        Anyway, I'd have thought a man like yourself would have a few pairs of reassuringly expensive Birkenstock sandals or such-like.

Comment

Needles

Comment

You'd be a brave man walking some of the North Dublin beaches without something on your feet during a sunny spell - plenty of hidden broken bottles and ring pulls from cans just waiting to send you to A&E.
                                                                            Anyway, I'd have thought a man like yourself would have a few pairs of reassuringly expensive Birkenstock sandals or such-like.
                                                                            actually surprisingly clean

Comment

yep, my 6 year old son cut his foot on bull island when we were there. 10 stitches. was a fun afternoon in temple street holding him down, listening to him scream in agony as they're jabbing needle after needle in the wound.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

yep, my 6 year old son cut his foot on bull island when we were there. 10 stitches. was a fun afternoon in temple street holding him down, listening to him scream in agony as they're jabbing needle after needle in the wound.
                                                                                Jaysus, that's awful. I remember it happening to my brother's young lad. Aa a result my young lad wears always wears crocks at the beach.

Just in beaches, if you are ever hanging around Sligo there's a couple of nice, quieter beaches. I go up there regularly enough on a good day.

You can drive out to Coney island when the tide is out. You need to check your tide times obv. There's a nice beach out there which usually has no more than 30-40 people on it. It's not huge but you'll have loads of space and you can walk around the island too.

Over in Strandhill there's a beach called Culleenamore. This is really nice too and if you get there when the tide is out there's a mound well out where Sea Lions come in and hang out regularly. This beach gets a bit of traffic but you'll find a secluded spot if you follow the shore line around to the right.
                                                                                I'm sure the C-Kid knows both if these beaches particularly Culleenamore.

I'm not saying anything negative about the main Strandhill beach or Rosses Point just in time mes like these people like less populated areas.
                                                                                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Could someone please forward this onto Raoul , a touching petition to make sure his heros statue doesn’t get taken down
                                                                                  The Mail is calling on our readers to help block any attempt to remove the statue of Sir Winston Churchill from outside the Houses of Parliament.

the letter is hilarious-Churchill stood alone against ta storm of steel apparently, they need to start learning Russian history in English schools

Last edited by Guest; 16-06-20, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                    I didn't bother to read the article because who cares but 'The FAI sue former auditors Deloitte' is the sort of uplifting headline you'd be crying out for with all the doom and gloom around.
                                                                                    Can’t see what grounds they have to sue presumably Deloitte did what they were paid to do (look the other way). I’m sure they were shocked, shocked When the financial bad practice came to light

reminder that these companies have cost us as a country far more than a few lads scrounging a few extra quid in benefits ever will

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      Could someone please forward this onto Raoul , a touching petition to make sure his heros statue doesn’t get taken down
                                                                                      The Mail is calling on our readers to help block any attempt to remove the statue of Sir Winston Churchill from outside the Houses of Parliament.

the letter is hilarious-Churchill stood alone against ta storm of steel apparently, they need to start learning Russian history in English schools
                                                                                      Look, I'm not defending Churchill here. But from June 1940 to July 1941 Britain really did stand pretty much alone against the Nazi threat. If they'd signed a peace accord of some kind then Operation Barbarossa gets the full attention of German High Command and the United States likely doesn't enter the war in the Atlantic, instead focusing its efforts on the Pacific theatre. I mean, it's a counterfactual, but Churchill's obstinate refusal to sue for peace in that period really was an astonishing act of national bravery.

Does it excuse anything else he ever did? No. Does it undermine the incredible effort of the Russians during the war? No. Should the Russian contribution be better recognised in Western historical education? Absolutely. But it's hard to deny Churchill's role in holding the western front as a front at all during that awful 12-18 months before Russia and the US both entered on the Allied side.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Can’t see what grounds they have to sue presumably Deloitte did what they were paid to do (look the other way). I’m sure they were shocked, shocked When the financial bad practice came to light

reminder that these companies have cost us as a country far more than a few lads scrounging a few extra quid in benefits ever will
                                                                                        Nick Hanauer has a great line in one of his talks about this where he says one of modern capitalism's greatest achievements is getting the middle class to blame the lower class rather than directing anger at things that really matter. Cup and ball trick.
                                                                                        Last edited by Opr; 16-06-20, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

We have effectively done that here too
                                                                                          How is this being viewed in the medical community? Beijing reported a new outbreak and reports say they are bracing for a second wave and already started reimposing some lockdowns.

Comment

New role as food and beverage manager, Casino style!.

Comment

This looks like big news on the other side of the coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Look, I'm not defending Churchill here. But from June 1940 to July 1941 Britain really did stand pretty much alone against the Nazi threat. If they'd signed a peace accord of some kind then Operation Barbarossa gets the full attention of German High Command and the United States likely doesn't enter the war in the Atlantic, instead focusing its efforts on the Pacific theatre. I mean, it's a counterfactual, but Churchill's obstinate refusal to sue for peace in that period really was an astonishing act of national bravery.

Does it excuse anything else he ever did? No. Does it undermine the incredible effort of the Russians during the war? No. Should the Russian contribution be better recognised in Western historical education? Absolutely. But it's hard to deny Churchill's role in holding the western front as a front at all during that awful 12-18 months before Russia and the US both entered on the Allied side.
                                                                                                Bravery ? Ha . He was an expert in allowing people to die . Bravery was the Jack's who did his bidding. Ugly man. Much like Cromwell who as I recall you liked to revise opinion upward. I dare say England had zero choice in taking the stance they did .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Bravery ? Ha . He was an expert in allowing people to die . Bravery was the Jack's who did his bidding. Ugly man. Much like Cromwell who as I recall you liked to revise opinion upward. I dare say England had zero choice in taking the stance they did .
                                                                                                  That could be leveled against any army leader though no?

Comment

Applied for a college course in DCU back in February, had pretty much given up on it in current circumstances, got a letter yesterday to say I've been offered a place. Ironically, since I dropped out ot school at 15, I'm hoping to become a secondary school teacher. Cannot express how fucking happy and excited I am. New life to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

That could be leveled against any army leader though no?
                                                                                                      No

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                        This looks like big news on the other side of the coin.

Patients should be given the cheap drug without delay, after "fantastic" trial results, experts say.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Bravery ? Ha . He was an expert in allowing people to die . Bravery was the Jack's who did his bidding.
                                                                                                              No
                                                                                                              This bit I meant

Comment

Bookies shops closed again

Comment

No idea how to post tweets here now
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 16-06-20, 16:41.

Comment

In Utopia where I sometimes visit during euphoric hypomanic episodes there are no bookies. Wondering if I should add more labels like paranoid schizophrenic to bi polar disorder ??? Can it be passed off lightly as madness albeit intermittent thankfully. Asking for a friend in obviously lololol

Comment

It's almost as if having a nuanced view of history is wrong in your eyes old boy. Hitler offered Churchill peace in 1940. I dare say England had a choice. Also, I am not revising opinion upwards. I am noting one aspect of a very long and varied life.

None of this, none of it, alters his heinous crimes. But can we see the man in the round? Can we see him as the Home Secretary who allowed the police to sexually brutalise suffragettes outside parliament in 1910? Can we see him as the first lord of the admiralty who oversaw the disaster of Gallipoli? Can we see him as responsible for the Black and Tans and the atrocities they committed during his time in the War Office? Can we evaluate his role in the creation and worsening of the Bengal Famine? Can we do all of that through the lens of his deep and powerful racism and imperialism? Yes. Yes we can.

We can do all of those things and more besides (listing his crimes would take too long) but that doesn't mean we cannot acknowledge other aspects of his life also. That doesn't excuse his crimes. It could not. But you've come to the wrong place if you're asking me to spout simple slogans about historical figures without even the slightest ability to address, assess and accept the various strands of their lives. That's just the sort of nonsense that leads to idiots surrounding statues of Churchill to protect it while making Nazi signs and singing "two world wars and one world cup". I've no time for that level of historical analysis. It's asinine.

Comment

Churchill was a fucking cunt
                                                                                                                        however, dependent on your read of history
                                                                                                                        he was a useful fucking cunt
                                                                                                                        for 2-3 or 6-7 years

Comment

Daniel Kinahan stuff getting interesting
                                                                                                                          Bahrain that oasis of... calm and goodwill just cut ties with him
                                                                                                                          Boxing and sports TV...
                                                                                                                          Still playing dumb or defending his better qualities

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X