X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied
    Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c
    I don't think that! I think there's space for the current market size of $32bn, or whatever it is, to grow, thats it - as in, if they are first to the market with decent smart contacts, as it looks like they might be if August update goes to plan, then could traders push them up to a 100bn value - seems like they could. Can't imagine it would ever overtake ETH. I'm not sure though on any of this, and thats why I'm only playing around for now - trying out a few different things to get a feel for the market. Probably with a decent likelihood of losing everything.

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.
    I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c

Leave a comment:

replied
    Plus, if it becomes clear that someone else is pulling ahead from my usage of NFT markets, then I can just pull the money out. I'm not just buying and forgetting. I have the side advantage of being involved in these markets so should be able to feel the underlying trends. Maybe. Thats the idea anyway. But probably you feel the same way about defi.

Leave a comment:

replied

That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.
    I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Is every single cent of yours locked up in this? Why not?

Serious question.
    Because it's more a novelty than a useful protocol - there are many more attractive ways to deploy capital in crypto. The idea is cool though, a loan that pay itself off. (Note that it's a overcollateralized loan. You are effectively just taking the interest in advance.)

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied

Whats wrong with cardano? In general markets are pretty decent at filtering out good ideas from bad, so its not just randomly the 6th largest ranked crypto.
    That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by dobby View Post

I dunno. This lad has been 100% accurate with everything he has reported on so far

I know. Gav is *always* spot on, he's excellent. And I'm frequently wrong. I think I'll pick gav's side on this one. There's just a small chance gav doesn't realise how account cleaning works.

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied

No he didn't.

He clearly deletes all old tweets, as he only has 12,700 tweets on his account at the moment. So whatever was deleted was caught up in a past cleaning out. Precisely as people will go back and point at old tweets. Everyone should delete their old tweets.
    I dunno. This lad has been 100% accurate with everything he has reported on so far

Leave a comment:

• Emmet
    replied

For Strewel and those that liked this post - this is an open-source protocol where (if you learnt a little bit of solidity) you can read the code. The protocol works, and there's nothing particularly unusual about it, it's really a combination of elements of the DEFI ecosystem. All of it on-chain and auditable - there's currently over a billion dollars locked in it.

https://defillama.com/protocol/alchemix
    Is every single cent of yours locked up in this? Why not?

Serious question.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Simon Coveney deleted a 10 year old tweet after it appeared on Reeling in the years yesterday. I don't see the point of it myself but find it strangely amusing for some reason.
    No he didn't.

He clearly deletes all old tweets, as he only has 12,700 tweets on his account at the moment. So whatever was deleted was caught up in a past cleaning out. Precisely as people will go back and point at old tweets. Everyone should delete their old tweets.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied

The wild garlic chimichuri. Lovely bit of heat to it without being too spicy.

SPOILER

The wild garlic pesto. I'm not going to lie, it's very garlicy!!

SPOILER

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Simon Coveney deleted a 10 year old tweet after it appeared on Reeling in the years yesterday. I don't see the point of it myself but find it strangely amusing for some reason.

Leave a comment:

replied

I don't understand how you can want to invest in something like Cardano whilst only doing the briefest amount of surface-level research.
    Whats wrong with cardano? In general markets are pretty decent at filtering out good ideas from bad, so its not just randomly the 6th largest ranked crypto.

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    Sound on

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied

I don't understand how you can want to invest in something like Cardano whilst only doing the briefest amount of surface-level research.

Leave a comment:

• Elshambles
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Anyone want to buy some magic beans?

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    For Strewel and those that liked this post - this is an open-source protocol where (if you learnt a little bit of solidity) you can read the code. The protocol works, and there's nothing particularly unusual about it, it's really a combination of elements of the DEFI ecosystem. All of it on-chain and auditable - there's currently over a billion dollars locked in it.

https://defillama.com/protocol/alchemix

Leave a comment:

• Elshambles
    replied
    Frozen kebab meat from Lidl for lunch. They've really captured a specific market.
    I was in lidl today for first time in ages (used to manage one fado fado fado fado)

They really have gone down the processed food route!

Good selection of veg, nuts and par cooked breads,
    (...apart from the steaks looking ok) fuck all meat and wall to wall processed shite
    Don't seem to bother with low sugar drinks and a shite cider selection and all

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied

A good haul of wild garlic. Wild Garlic pesto and chimichuri incoming.

SPOILER

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    UK seem to have made a better risk v reward calculation. We should be setting it somewhere between 35 - 45

This will cost more lives than it saves. Vaccine rollout is going to be setback by c. two months pushing out things like gigs and indoor eating to the autumn based on the rationale we are using now but the political pressure will be too much.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    It was already restricted in a few other countries for under 60's too I thought, must be similar reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Degag
    replied
    AstraZeneca banned for under 60s. ffs. Had to be done, those risks were too much, but still. I would have thought maybe 40, or 50 would be a better age point to allow a balance of risks vs rewards.
    This to me sounds like a total over-reaction. It's a few people per million who develop complications i believe. Now i'm not sure of the level of seriousness of these complications (i presume they must be significant) but realistically there is going to be some level of adverse side affects to every drug that is administered.

Not long ago they banned AZ for over 60s

Leave a comment:

replied

There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.
    1OfksMT.png

Leave a comment:

• Wombatman
    replied
    Is it true that Hitch queried why the DCU Business department tweets don’t mention him?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...-him-1.4534536

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    Actually now that I think of it there was a lad I knew back then who IIRC would have been on that course. maybe dropped out after first year, who went on to set up a very famous investment business along those lines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breifne_O%27Brien

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    When John Teeling was teaching commerce in UCD in the '80's he used to tell his students that if they were ever stuck for cash all they had to do was put an advert in the Sunday Press offering 1% more on deposits than the pillar banks, with no more than a few deft words and a PO box you would have the price of a new car before the week was out. Many tried, none failed to collect and a few even paid the money back with the premium.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied

Well I mainly look at behaviour rather than pure finance, and there's interesting behaviour associated with NFTs, while defi is fundamental extremely boring.
    There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Ed
    replied
    Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Tesco used to sell frozen donner kebabs. Literally just a pitta filled with spiced reformed meat and nothing else. Plus a few sachets of hot sauce in the bottom of the box for those of us in Ireland not allergic to chilli.

Turned into a hot mess in the microwave. But I’ve made worse food.
    I remember those (though possibly not from Tesco), even as a kid you'd know that was at the lowest end of shitty food

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by RichieM View Post

What was this about?
    Videos going around of a large convey of caravans setting up shop in Pfizer grange castle car park

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Frozen kebab meat from Lidl for lunch. They've really captured a specific market.
    Jaysus, that sounds rank. What's the actual meat content?

Now I'm not saying I haven't eaten worse after a feed of pints but to buy/eat this sober just sounds wrong.

Leave a comment:

replied

I'm surprised you aren't more interested in defi than NFTs. NFTs are an interesting technology, but unless you are already into art, collectibles or innovative ticketing I don't see the fascination.
    Well I mainly look at behaviour rather than pure finance, and there's interesting behaviour associated with NFTs, while defi is fundamental extremely boring.

Leave a comment:

• RichieM
    replied
    Should probably fire some of that aib money into the local butchers.

Leave a comment:

• RichieM
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    I have to be honest.
    That is some top draw shithousery from the lads in the Pfizer car parks.
    What was this about?

Leave a comment:

• Wombatman
    replied
    AstraZeneca banned for under 60s. ffs. Had to be done, those risks were too much, but still. I would have thought maybe 40, or 50 would be a better age point to allow a balance of risks vs rewards.
    Every anti-vaxxers wet dream unfortunately. Possible law suits coming from young front liners already jabbed with AZ.

I'd almost risk it just to be able to go on the holliers.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

It's probably a bit of a ponzi but at the moment, a pretty simple way to make ETH.
    .02 ETH a week in rewards from earning > 250 points in sorare.
    Which is a pretty easy bar to clear, rewards rise up to 2ETH for top X teams and pretty easy to make money by putting a modicum of effort in learning starting lineups and monitoring injuries etc.
    e.g
    https://sorare.com/players/motohiko-nakajima?tab=cards
    I got this guy a few weeks ago for .028ETH in the knowledge that the team had a raft of injuries
    He's now starting and scored at the weekend and his cheapest price is now 0.150 ETH which is a nice return on investment.
    It's on the verge of exploding in the US and MLS is just around the corner, there's money to be made as
    there;s a lot of idiots out there.

https://sorare.com/r/deadparrot

regarding Defi, I've 20 AAVE locked in a ledger (converted from a load of LEND bought for a pittance) wallet and not looking at it for 6-12 months as the swings where driving me potty
    That's really interesting. I actually set up a Sorare account and played with it a bit, I told a few friends about it because it seemed like you could definitely make a few bob if you were up to date with football (I'm not!).

Regarding AAVE - excellent buy. I have some as well. For those that don't know AAVE is the second biggest DEFI lender

You can stake your AAVE in the protocol to earn 6.7% APY https://app.aave.com/staking - to cut down on fee's make sure you use the polygon network. There are risks, but its worth looking into

Leave a comment:

• Mellor
    replied
    Tesco used to sell frozen donner kebabs. Literally just a pitta filled with spiced reformed meat and nothing else. Plus a few sachets of hot sauce in the bottom of the box for those of us in Ireland not allergic to chilli.

Turned into a hot mess in the microwave. But I’ve made worse food.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied

If you are going to give interviews on them I'd say it's a necessary step. I wouldn't expect to make money though.

I definitely wouldn't buy cardano.

I'm surprised you aren't more interested in defi than NFTs. NFTs are an interesting technology, but unless you are already into art, collectibles or innovative ticketing I don't see the fascination.
    It's probably a bit of a ponzi but at the moment, a pretty simple way to make ETH.
    .02 ETH a week in rewards from earning > 250 points in sorare.
    Which is a pretty easy bar to clear, rewards rise up to 2ETH for top X teams and pretty easy to make money by putting a modicum of effort in learning starting lineups and monitoring injuries etc.
    e.g
    https://sorare.com/players/motohiko-nakajima?tab=cards
    I got this guy a few weeks ago for .028ETH in the knowledge that the team had a raft of injuries
    He's now starting and scored at the weekend and his cheapest price is now 0.150 ETH which is a nice return on investment.
    It's on the verge of exploding in the US and MLS is just around the corner, there's money to be made as
    there;s a lot of idiots out there.

https://sorare.com/r/deadparrot

regarding Defi, I've 20 AAVE locked in a ledger (converted from a load of LEND bought for a pittance) wallet and not looking at it for 6-12 months as the swings where driving me potty
    Last edited by DeadParrot; Yesterday, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Sold €4,000 worth of AIB shares in order to invest it in NFTs. A step too far, maybe?
    I'll expect my referral
    sorare.com/r/deadparrot

Leave a comment:

• Lazare
    replied
    I must be the only one who thinks the Aeropress is an awful faff.

Gave mine away.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by oleras View Post
    WOW
    Don't knock it until you've tried it

Leave a comment:

• oleras
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

While I munch on Strewel's magnificent meat.

Has no-one ever told you that to live well is the best revenge?
    WOW

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    While I munch on Strewel's magnificent meat.

Has no-one ever told you that to live well is the best revenge?

Leave a comment:

replied
    241644.jpg

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    Sold €4,000 worth of AIB shares in order to invest it in NFTs. A step too far, maybe?
    If you are going to give interviews on them I'd say it's a necessary step. I wouldn't expect to make money though.

I definitely wouldn't buy cardano.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

I got one a few years ago after you mentioned it a few times...
    Those videos might be interesting, I haven't played with it much, the "that's a grand cup of coffee" 'setting' has done for me
    Yeah, I am strictly a 'that's how it works, so I'll just use it that way' guy.

I do have one annoying colleague who uses a weighing scales and makes it upside down, claiming it to be coffee perfection. He also collects water from mountain streams to make his coffee with so I think we can safely say he's a complete wanker.

Leave a comment:

• Solksjaer!
    replied
    Thanks RD3 , Wombatman and Music King Bennyhifi for the past couple of weeks entertainment. I'm always the bridesmaids sister come the final but sure it's the distraction I'm paying for .

A special mention to Jose Mourinho for reminding us all to feed our children

Leave a comment:

replied

You'll be a millionaire by Christmas, Rodney.

Can only be upside here for your media profile though so might actually be a good play?
    Maybe!

Leave a comment:

• Elshambles
    replied

Ha, I have one of them in work - hasn't been used since mid-March last year obv. Wonder if anyone has robbed it.
    I got one a few years ago after you mentioned it a few times...
    Those videos might be interesting, I haven't played with it much, the "that's a grand cup of coffee" 'setting' has done for me

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    You'll be a millionaire by Christmas, Rodney.

Can only be upside here for your media profile though so might actually be a good play?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

CryptoKitties?
    Thinking of buying - Cardano (as the potential solution to gas fees for smart contracts), some land in TheSandbox, and a full team capable of winning cards every week in sorare football. Haven't fully decided yet though. Feedback appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    Aeropress was the only coffee maker I use at home until this weekend when I was given a present of a Chemex. It looks great but its just a fancy drip filter, I can really only see myself using it when I have to make a few cups when there are other people around.

Leave a comment:

• Wombatman
    replied
    CryptoKitties?

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
    Beginning of a series of coffee porn for the Duke...
    Ha, I have one of them in work - hasn't been used since mid-March last year obv. Wonder if anyone has robbed it.

Leave a comment:

• Elshambles
    replied
    Beginning of a series of coffee porn for the Duke...

Leave a comment:

• Wombatman
    replied
    IPB Masters Sweep 2021 Final Standings posted.

Fair play to Eoghan104, Coillcam and Hideki. Deserved winners.

Had Xander birdied the 16th they would have been level with two to play. I never felt it was over until Hideki holed his last putt. His shot selection on 15 will be the subject of some debate.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Lovely offer. I am planning to but don't realistically know when! GFX cards are insane atm. Even my 1070 from 5 years ago are being sold secondhand for up to €500. What specs did you build?

I am still running my i5 2500k setup from 2011, which is amazing tbh considering I've been gaming all that time.
    That's impressive. My current PC is from back then, but it was an i3. Putting together a new build atm with a 9900k. I wasn't expecting PC's to have grown so much in size.

The case just arrived in the door, and it's at least 3x the volume of my current ATX case. And the bequiet cooler I got is probably about 10x my old one.

Probably all overkill and I could have just got a cheap 2500k!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X