This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I enjoyed the break from WhatsApp immensely today.
    Genuinely holding out hope it’s a conscientious objector inside job- just an awful company- up there and definitely worse than tobacco companies
    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

This is perfect “An NBC journalist is reporting Facebook employees can't even get in to their conference rooms because the smart doors won't open”

few more days of this and zuck will be getting dragged out of his Hawaiian palace and beaten with metal pipes
      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Genuinely holding out hope it’s a conscientious objector inside job- just an awful company- up there and definitely worse than tobacco companies
        Me poor Ma won't know what to be doing with herself.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          Capture.JPG
          And that's being generous. The original 1974 version is also terrible, but slightly less so.
          The review to the left has it at 65%, to the right has it at 60%. Circle now of those instead of the poorer one. Dont generally place any emphasis on reviews either tbh, prefer to watch films and make up my own mind and to any sane person, Gone in 60 seconds is an absolute belter.

It's ok to be wrong sometimes, just a pity you've chosen to be wrong about this.

Comment

I enjoyed the break from WhatsApp immensely today.
            Should prob just mute the app in general.

Hit me up with some Face Off and Con Air any time.
            Squid game was amazing, also just finished Alice in Borderland now, really enjoyable, though worse acting, and production value.
            Still cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Should prob just mute the app in general.

I can't really, I use it a lot for work. Have lots of groups muted alright.

Comment

Squid game viewers.

Dubbed or Subbed?

I generally dislike subtitles, as I end up reading more than viewing. Obviously it's worse the more dialogue heavy a show is.
                On the other hand, a bad dub is utterly distracting. Also worse with a dialogue heavy show.
                Which is the best option here? from the few memes I've seen, it seems to be a bit of robot/computer/PA system dialogue. Which should lend itself better to dubbing than reverse lip-syncing.

Comment

Sub >>>>>> Dub AINEC
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Definitely sub. It has never been clearer than for Squid Games. The dubbing is atrocious. Some Korean dude chatting away like he's at an old-boys Texas cookout is very distracting.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There have been complaints that the apparent brilliant dialogue wasnt translated very well to subtitles .

You wouldn't get this type o thing with Mission impossible.

Comment

Only subtitles for me. But I know what you mean about the drawbacks, I often read the dialogue before the actor gets the chance to speak, wonder how much I'm missing by looking at the bottom quarter of the screen a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          Squid game viewers.

Dubbed or Subbed?

I generally dislike subtitles, as I end up reading more than viewing. Obviously it's worse the more dialogue heavy a show is.
                          On the other hand, a bad dub is utterly distracting. Also worse with a dialogue heavy show.
                          Which is the best option here? from the few memes I've seen, it seems to be a bit of robot/computer/PA system dialogue. Which should lend itself better to dubbing than reverse lip-syncing.
                          Dubbed, it's hilarious, and also I can't read.
                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            There have been complaints that the apparent brilliant dialogue wasnt translated very well to subtitles .

Good start to Tom Cruise Day.

Let's go big next with Far and Away. Surely the most evocative portrait of Irishness ever to have made it to the big screen. In any normal year it would have won ALL the Oscars.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The Last Samurai is Cruise's best work AINEC.

Better told that Dances with Wolves or Avatar.

Comment

Handy time saving tip - as soon as someone unironically uses the word “Metaverse” you can stop listening to anything else the have to say

Comment

It's tough to hire staff at the moment. Really tough. 3 people shy on our team and now think we mightn't get to where we need to be by the end of the year.

Had a role open that paid 55k. That's where it started with a candidate. Ended up with a final offer to the lad of 80k and still didn't get him.
                                  Don't remember it being so bad.

Comment

I only mentioned to someone the other day that I realised Tom Cruise's movies are actually pretty decent.
                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-10-21, 10:04.

Comment

Handy time saving tip - as soon as someone unironically uses the word “Metaverse” you can stop listening to anything else the have to say
                                      I find myself doing the same with "narrative" these days.

Probably others i cant remember right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                        It's tough to hire staff at the moment. Really tough. 3 people shy on our team and now think we mightn't get to where we need to be by the end of the year.

Had a role open that paid 55k. That's where it started with a candidate. Ended up with a final offer to the lad of 80k and still didn't get him.
                                        Same all over as far as I can see.

People laughing at offers they would have gobbled up 12 months ago. Feels like a chunk of the workforce has just gone.

Richie can tell us what's really happening.

Comment

Yeah I've heard the same from a HR person. Impossible to find people.

Even grads are hard to get because their company is looking for people with experience, which a lot of people from the last few cohorts may not have had the chance to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I find myself doing the same with "narrative" these days.

Probably others i cant remember right now.
                                            I hate that word in recent years. Almost always applied (when I see it) to some football fan feeling aggrieved at the sense of injustice that their team are being belittled,especially beloved of man utd fans on the boards soccer forum I thought, although I haven't really darkened the door of that place in the last couple of years.

Comment

Interview with a Vampire was perhaps my fav movie that Tom Cruise was in. Off the charts brilliant pic at the time.

On a tangent here . When RVP scored for Man Utd when they played a team from Transylvania. A brilliant tweet at the time

2 goals from Robin Vampiresey

Comment

'So fun'
                                                never will accept this , it brings out my inner PSV

Comment

So many good Cruise films.

Legend
                                                  The Color of Money
                                                  Rain Man
                                                  Born on the Fourth of July (iirc, long time since I've seen it)
                                                  Interview with the Vampire
                                                  Jerry Maguire (again iirc)
                                                  Minority Report (partly)
                                                  The Last Samurai
                                                  Edge of Tomorrow

And you could make a good case for many others, the Mission Impossible ones, he was very good in Collateral, I've haven't seen the Jack Reacher ones, many like A Few Good Men, I like American Made. There are quite a number I haven't seen. When you get to choose whatever scripts and projects you want you are going to get a lot of good films.

Comment

Living with aul lad is fun. He went off yesterday lunchtime to meet someone, all very secretive. Still hasn't arrived back. Prob got caught with someones missus and buried up the mountains. Suppose i'll give him till this evening

Good training for when kids are teenagers i guess.

Comment

No EYES WIDE SHUT fans ?

Comment

The Outsiders is decent, only watched it on Youtube recently.

Comment

Speaking of Tom Cruise films, I only seen it once when it was released, but I remember enjoying Vanilla Sky.

On the other hand, I watched Risky Business and Top Gun again in recent years and thought they were terrible, whereas I know I loved them years ago.

Comment

No EYES WIDE SHUT fans ?
                                                            Fidelio
                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Tom Cruise >>>> Nick Cage

Comment

The 'show me the money' film was only OK imo.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Fidelio
                                                                  Best scene in the movie . I'm sure Epstein and Co had similar going on.

Comment

Rewatched A Few Good Men only last week, really is great, the sort of thing that won't age too badly I think. Tom was on top form in it, and what a cast!

Also rewatched the Cape Fear remake (with Robert De Niro and Nick Nolte) recently, was fun but hasn't aged as well and the ending is ludicrous in a not-so-great way. The scene between De Niro and Juliette Lewis's characters in the school drama hall surely wouldn't be possible to film these days, it was almost unbearably creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Yeah I've heard the same from a HR person. Impossible to find people.

Even grads are hard to get because their company is looking for people with experience, which a lot of people from the last few cohorts may not have had the chance to get.
                                                                      Sounds like a job for Ethan Hunt

Comment

It cant be hyped enough imo. Also kudos to anyone who manages to use metaverse ironically.

Comment

Really, did no one put up the one film that was improved for Cruise being in it

Magnolia

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

It’s mental at the moment. I’m getting calls every week with people looking for staff and turning them away unless I have worked with them before or the rates are high.

Comment

I was only thinking a couple of days ago that I hadn't seen Dom post in a while, worried you went the same route as Kev.

Great to see

Comment

David Squires 'Squad Game' about Watford FC, loosely based on the Korean show.

Comment

That was my only minor gripe with it.

Can't imagine Koreans say the word 'Jerk' that often.

Comment

Best scene in the movie . I'm sure Epstein and Co had similar going on.
                                                                                    Titbit. Kubrick died 6 days after this movie aired.

That movie scene reminded me of the masque of the red death with Vincent Price.

EWS - Headfk of a film , even more so when you think it's more than likely happening among the real horsehead elites .

Hmm

Comment

How is there so much talk of Tom Cruise and so little talk of Top Gun - It's the best film he has ever been in, it's not even close!

Comment

It's mental at the minute. We're quite literally at the point of importing people from Brazil who have EU citizenship, mainly through their Italian grand parents.

Some of the salaries we're seeing being bandied about are off the chart for fairly basic entry level positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

It cant be hyped enough imo. Also kudos to anyone who manages to use metaverse ironically.
                                                                                          It’s bollocks- a sad retreat from reality even if it lived up to the hype- won’t even be that though - it’ll be a shitty micro transaction ridden data harvesting mess .

What ever grand sci-fi notion of a meta verse you have in your head is not going to be what Facebook etc deliver

I see VR is still a niche failure just as I called it years ago - only way I’m ever buying a headset is if they create a game where you can repeatedly waterboard Zuckerberg

“infinite office”- we need a puke emoji, what is wrong with these people?

Comment

Been watching a bit of Countdown for the first time in years standard seems to have risen generally but I've never seen anyone as strong as the kid on it this week. He's beating Susie three or four times a day with words she's never heard of
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1703526&d=1633443008&type=thumb KAYROO or any other ex Law students. Anyone know where to get 2nd hands of these cheap Girl I know , her daughter starts the long road soon .
                                                                                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                                              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 05-10-21, 14:17.

Comment

I only watched Eyes Wide Shut recently and found it a bit disappointing. Like he had done a Lost and written himself to a spot and didn't know where to go.

Obv that doesn't take away from Tom's performance.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1703526&d=1633443008&type=thumb KAYROO or any other ex Law students. Anyone know where to get 2nd hands of these cheap Girl I know , her daughter starts the long road soon .
                                                                                                  Boards forums for law and the various colleges usually have threads, adverts, plus the likes of Chapters.

Comment

Heading to Rome tomorrow for a few days R&R. Any recommendations for good restaurants that aren't the usual overpriced tourist traps?
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I was only thinking a couple of days ago that I hadn't seen Dom post in a while, worried you went the same route as Kev.

Great to see
                                                                                                      Nah I'm alive. I don't get through all the BBV, but a reasonable amount of it, although by the time I get distracted I'm not at the end (and I like to read before I post anything in case I'm contributing to a long over conversation), and then I'm way behind in posts again before I come back.

I'm very distracted though in general from stuff with work and kids mainly, plus I have relatively few interesting things to contribute to discussions.

I can confirm that Kev is also alive.

Comment

Come back Kev Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                          Heading to Rome tomorrow for a few days R&R. Any recommendations for good restaurants that aren't the usual overpriced tourist traps?
                                                                                                          McDonald’s in the Vatican
                                                                                                          they do a mean burger

Comment

Come back Kev Ireland
                                                                                                            Kev never existed In Real Life
                                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                              Track down a great Caccio y Pepe pasta. It's Rome's fast food and ridiculously good. Although we went to the place Bourdain ate his Caccio y Pepe and it was ruined by the celebrity.

Comment

Trailer for Martin Scorsese's film starring Paul Newman,Tom Cruise,Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio,Helen Shaver,John Turturro,Bill Cobbs,Forest Whitaker,Bruce A....

The color of money was a brilliant Tom Cruise film.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

It’s mental at the moment. I’m getting calls every week with people looking for staff and turning them away unless I have worked with them before or the rates are high.
                                                                                                                  Must be a tech/Dub thing...son graduated last May, Maths and Physics degree...cant even get a job in centra. Limerick based.

I must send him to the big smoke.
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Must be a tech/Dub thing...son graduated last May, Maths and Physics degree...cant even get a job in centra. Limerick based.

I must send him to the big smoke.
                                                                                                                    Has the driving improved?
                                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sinus issues the last 18 months, weird smells and seemed like they were infected, had a dicky tooth around the same time...ignored both till a few months ago, did a 30 day steroid spray thing on the sinus, no change. Woke yesterday with a sore jaw, decided to bite the bullet and call dentist, she gave me a 9.00am cancellation this morning. nearly 2 hours in the chair because it wouldn't stop bleeding after she had to extract the tooth, back one so didnt bother me. Even after she stitched it back it still bled so more compression and gauze, the Asprin didnt help...anyways i head home feeling sorry for myself and then blood starts coming out my nose...seemingly the root was up in the sinus cavity, when it got sore last year obviously affected it and when removed there is some sort of passage way now, common enough according to google but never heard of it before.

Got a new smoker yesterday and cant even enjoy it today...soup.
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Has the driving improved?
                                                                                                                        Very much so. Still getting lessons but instructor told him he would be 90% sure of passing the test.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Track down a great Caccio y Pepe pasta. It's Rome's fast food and ridiculously good. Although we went to the place Bourdain ate his Caccio y Pepe and it was ruined by the celebrity.
                                                                                                                          How's the driving going? When the next test?
                                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X