This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ah, the race was in honour of Barney Curley - who was a mentor to the young Dettori. Makes more sense now than Dettori popping over to Bellewstown on the Thursday before the Arc for a single ride in a handicap!
    Hope he did a flying dismount. Tarnawa meant to win the Arc.
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Apparently

Fuel Crisis positive.
      Apparently Norman Price from Ponypandy has passed away. During one of his many public resource wasting silly scrapes , the fire engines couldn’t leave the station and save him on time. Sorry Hotspur but he deserved to die.

Comment

Afternoon solo pints in Mulligans are pure joy.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I've driven a Volvo S80 a few times including a trip from Downpatrick across bendy country roads using their 5+year old adaptive cruise and lane assist tech and once you stay aware you rarely if ever need to come off auto. The only time where I had to was on the motorway where it occasionally confuses a slip road for the main road. It's amazing how well it works, and whether it actually is or not I feel much safer than relying on my own (in)competence.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Hope he did a flying dismount. Tarnawa meant to win the Arc.
            He did indeed, crowd looked to be well over covid rules and there was the biggest cheer heard on a racecourse for a couple of years when he crossed the line, Murtagh who trained the winner and Frankie gave the media a field day and stoood in for thousands of selfies and autographs.

Comment

If the fuel shortage was just a result of panic buying it would have been over by now wouldn't it

Things must be really desperate, way beyond the level of being bailed out by a few army tankers.

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
              The schadenfreude is deep with this one
              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 30-09-21, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Drove a model 3 yesterday. Only a short spin for a few km down a rural regional road. Good craic using the self drive mode. The acceleration is ridiculous and it was very comfy. Can't imagine what a model S/X is like when you floor it.
                Really brings out your inner "boy racer" alright.
                Puts a smile on your face every time

Re: Summoning your Tesla to the golf club,
                fun story but didn't happen.
                Summon only works for short distances.
                ​​​​​​

Comment

This is simply incredible. I think a feat like this would bring joy to even PSV https://twitter.com/uespiiiiii/statu...101178888?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                    Jesus id kill for an afternoon at that right now

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      If the fuel shortage was just a result of panic buying it would have been over by now wouldn't it

Things must be really desperate, way beyond the level of being bailed out by a few army tankers.

The schadenfreude is deep with this one
                      i think it's very location dependent now. I passed at least 8 petrol stations in north london this evening and all were BAU, with no queues

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Jesus id kill for an afternoon at that right now
                        Also in for midweek day time pints if ye go

In other news, me aul PUP got cut off so I started a job search on Saturday night. Got 3 interviews and got a job today. Had a missed call yesterday evening, rang back this morning, interview at 3, job offer at 5. Starting next Friday night. For a 5 star Hotel bar that exclusively does weddings, working Friday night and Saturdays only. Handy number. Places in Dublin absolutely screaming out for bar staff for anyone with a student in their lives, no excuse for not having a job.

Comment

They've set the place up well. We had a table at the bar last night, which was basically the same as being sat up at that holy altar to the art of drinking.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Also in for midweek day time pints if ye go

In other news, me aul PUP got cut off so I started a job search on Saturday night. Got 3 interviews and got a job today. Had a missed call yesterday evening, rang back this morning, interview at 3, job offer at 5. Starting next Friday night. For a 5 star Hotel bar that exclusively does weddings, working Friday night and Saturdays only. Handy number. Places in Dublin absolutely screaming out for bar staff for anyone with a student in their lives, no excuse for not having a job.
                            What if you just can't be arsed?
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

All of the physical tech is probably close to being there or already sufficient: cameras, sensors, radar etc. Meanwhile, the software engineering and ai/modelling required is immensely difficult. Especially when it has to decide on something unknown or a the edge of what's known.

It's one thing running autopilot on a large highway with loads of space and clearly defined road markings or boundaries. Try country roads with weird verges, hedges, walls, tractors etc. The owner of where I work won't use the self-drive features. He's had a few occasions of breaks being slammed on randomly while driving. Could only put it down to the car erroneously detecting the ditch or verge as dangerous.
                              Even the tech isn't enough. They're doing a different (cheaper) approach to everyone else in the space and the hardware isn't enough for self-driving. That's why GM and other companies have working systems while tesla's drive people under trucks and into concrete pillars. They can ml learn as many miles as they want with cameras but it's not gonna get them to the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

What if you just can't be arsed?
                                PUP disappearing will be a severe kick in the arse for a lot of people, the entitlement has been on broad criteria and with very little scrutiny of the businesses people were laid off from. There are a lot of those jobs are not coming back and many laid off employees who have no interest in coming back.

Comment

PUP disappearing will be a severe kick in the arse for a lot of people, the entitlement has been on broad criteria and with very little scrutiny of the businesses people were laid off from. There are a lot of those jobs are not coming back and many laid off employees who have no interest in coming back.
                                  Yeah, mine got cut off about 3 weeks ago and I was surprised I got the 350 full whack for so long with absolutely no checks until they asked if I'd be returning to college.

I'm in the hugely privileged position of not actually needing to work cos my missus is on a good wage but after a few weeks of her sending me money, I'm sick of it and want my own. I still wont be able to contribute to mortgage/bills but it will be nice to have my own few pound for lunch, coffee, petrol, pints, whatever. I saved a fair whack on the 350 too but there will be a lot of people getting a kick like you said when its cut off and money runs out after a few weeks.

Comment

Gotta love Frankie

Comment

Jesus

He was a predator on the people he was saying he'd help.

Comment

Tesla actually went live with full self-driving only a few weeks back but it is currently in beta testing and only available to a select number of people. It is dependant on some kind of driving safety score that they calculate based on the data they have collected from your past driving history in the Tesla to this point. If you score high it gets enabled.

Comment

3.2 billion for mica redress. 6,600 homes. Do the maths
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

why do people living in MacMansions like this need any state assistance:

The report said that homeowners on the working group advised that the average size of home affected is 2,400sq.ft with "many homes" between 3,000-4,000sq.ft.

Comment

Builders up and down the country clapping the cheeks of their arse...half a mill to build a house in Donegal

Edit...and probably buying the blocks from Cassidys.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

That is an interesting aside from the conversation. If you think your phone has good data collection then just think about what a car can do and how valuable all that information is in the future. It has some good benefits like they will be able to model insurance costs much more accurately for drivers. I think at this stage most of the car companies have their own insurance companies because they obviously think they can optimize it based on the data. Think about when cars are fully autonomous and it gets normalized then companies will look to make them entertainment centers for passengers. Car companies aren't just betting on the cars being autonomous but this is going to create a whole new world of opportunities for them in so many areas.

Comment

Cheaper car insurance based on data ? Dont we already have that with the penalty points system and NCB ? Car insurance companies are in the business of making money, not giving people value for money.

What car companies have their own insurance companies ? I know most have their own lending institutions, a few act as brokers through larger insurance companies.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    That is an interesting aside from the conversation. If you think your phone has good data collection then just think about what a car can do and how valuable all that information is in the future. It has some good benefits like they will be able to model insurance costs much more accurately for drivers. I think at this stage most of the car companies have their own insurance companies because they obviously think they can optimize it based on the data. Think about when cars are fully autonomous and it gets normalized then companies will look to make them entertainment centers for passengers. Car companies aren't just betting on the cars being autonomous but this is going to create a whole new world of opportunities for them in so many areas.
                                                    Traditional insurers won't end up insuring these cars and eventually stop serving the market. You'll likely end up having your insurance costs set up as an annual subscription to the manufacturer (they have all of the data from billions of miles of autonomous driving and possibly determine the risks/costs faster than insurance companies). With cameras and data points on everything the car does, they can arbitrate on claims faster and find out who was at fault with much less red tape.

Also car leasing will become more prevalent. So for Tesla you'll pay them a tiered sub for insurance plus various benefits. I'm thinking of guaranteed supercharger priority, parking, a courtesy car during maintenance and more. The further along this goes, the more it just becomes CaaS - Car as a Service from a fleet. You don't actually keep a car at home but book it from an app to drive you around as a robo-taxi. Also if you have a charger or solar/wind/batteries (Tesla made of course) they probably incentivise you with discounts on the sub by using your facilities.

Again it's years from actually happening but it's all pretty feasible.

Comment

Didn't quite catch all of what he said but Barry Lenehan was reporting on the radio today that there were still blocks going out with too much mica up to last year and that the problems may not appear for some years in those.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                        Cheaper car insurance based on data ? Dont we already have that with the penalty points system and NCB ? Car insurance companies are in the business of making money, not giving people value for money.

What car companies have their own insurance companies ? I know most have their own lending institutions, a few act as brokers through larger insurance companies.
                                                        Tesla has its own which is only available in certain regions at the moment. GM has OnStar. I would be surprised if any of the manufactures in the autonomous space haven't at least started the wheels in motion towards providing it themselves in the future. You are talking about perfect modeling from the data they collect as collicam describes versus those traditional methods which is no comparison.

Comment

Will be great to see all the entertainment industry people coming back and obv paying taxes from their cash in hand jobs
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

For all the recent discussions about Energy usage / EirGrid / Data Centres etc, this is a cool dashboard showing info during the day.

Explore energy data in real time for the island of Ireland. See how much energy is being generated, where it's coming from, and how much demand is on the system.

Comment

90% sure I have COVID.... Just waiting on test results.... FML!
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

To be fair I know a lot who have now had it, in work, etc... and if you are fully vaccinated and not at risk I wouldn't be particularly worried... unless the whole isolation is your concern, and that's understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What are your thoughts on the squad/how things are going this season?

I've always been very much in the Ole camp and want him to be given a proper chance at it and to succeed but I have to admit, I'm starting to wane a bit. I'm not part of the #OleOut brigade but recent performances has me worried, not necessarily the results but more the performances.

For the talent in the squad, we don't seem to be clicking right. I thought that the tactics when we went a man down to Young Boys was wrong and cost us the game. The win in the league over West Ham wasn't great (I know West Ham are a decent outfit and in good form, but we still should be able to beat them easier than we did) and the way the players celebrated after the game was like we'd just won the league, just didn't sit right with me for some reason.

The loss to West Ham in the mickey mouse cup was also bad, there was no young players playing (U21's) - Everybody was 2nd choice so they should have been busting their gut to fight for a place in the starting 11 for the next premiership game - It would suggest that we have a very shallow squad in terms of talent but the players picked should be a lot more capable.

The loss to Villa was woeful - Regardless of what's going on, Utd should be comfortably beating these lads at home and away.

And then last night, while it was great to see us come back, I can't help but feel that the win slightly papers over some cracks?

All that said, it's very early days - We're only six games in and we're joint second in the league, we still have knockout CL in our own hands, two wins at home and a point away from the two other games should see us through.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe the squad is just adjusting to the new additions but I just can't help feel like something isn't quite right at the minute.

he is helplessly, hopelessly, hilariously out of his depth.

I love what he's done for the club and according to all reports he would make an excellent DoF on the recruitment side but the only way he is ever likely to succeed as a manager is as a figurehead with other people doing the coaching/tactics.

However he's perfect for what the glazers want so we'll probably fall over the line into 4th place in the league with the best squad we've had in 10 years and he'll get another contract extension.
                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                    To be fair I know a lot who have now had it, in work, etc... and if you are fully vaccinated and not at risk I wouldn't be particularly worried... unless the whole isolation is your concern, and that's understandable.
                                                                    Ah, not worried. More annoying at this stage. The whole isolation won't be too bad TBF, but still irritating if have to do it.
                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

€484,848.49 each for a gaff in Donegal for the lazy
                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 01-10-21, 14:25.
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Builders up and down the country clapping the cheeks of their arse...half a mill to build a house in Donegal

Edit...and probably buying the blocks from Cassidys.
                                                                        In fairness, demolition, site clearance and temp accom costs will eat a big bite into that.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

€484,848.49 for aeach gaff in Donegal for the lazy
                                                                          That’s not correct, as there would be a cap I think of €320k per house. There’s huge expense of around €6-9k just to test your house for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                            For all the recent discussions about Energy usage / EirGrid / Data Centres etc, this is a cool dashboard showing info during the day.

https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all/generation
                                                                            That says 70% of the current electricity generation is from renewables. Can that be right?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

That says 70% of the current electricity generation is from renewables. Can that be right?
                                                                              It’s a real time graph. That’s the breakdown today. Presumably a good day for wind. But change it to monthly and it drops to 24% which seams closer to typical.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

sure is

Comment

When we have an inter connector to France how much excess will we be able to ship them?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                    That’s not correct, as there would be a cap I think of €320k per house. There’s huge expense of around €6-9k just to test your house for it.
                                                                                    Someone said that it could cost 40K for the testing

Why don't they claim off the chancers who sold the bricks rather than me?
                                                                                    I fail to see why the default position is for the government to pay 100% redress including all expenses. Where are the suppliers the builders and the banks in all this?

I presume that FD got out of that big house in Letterkenny in time or did they buy it and rent it out?

Comment

When we have an inter connector to France how much excess will we be able to ship them?
                                                                                      It has a capacity of 700MW

Comment

Should cap the mica redress payment at the declared property value for LPT.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It seems to create a dodgy enough precedence, that you can go for the cheapest supplier, build a big eyesore in the middle of nowhere, and its all good. You'll be made good again.

Having said that we also need to fix the problem. Thats just the way it is as a society that looks after each other when catastrophic mistakes happen.

I don't think though, we should be rebuilding mansions. Normal houses, sure. But this campaign seems to be about €350,000 not being enough, and they want more. That doesn't seem fair. While €350,000 ... sure. Why not. We look after each other.
                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

If anyone plays chess they should get a good laugh from this video.

Comment

you know what, in a normal country, that would make perfect sense

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                90% sure I have COVID.... Just waiting on test results.... FML!
                                                                                                False alarm, which is great news, but fuck me that is some cold I have, as I have all the symptoms of Covid.

Comment

Backdated with interest penalties

Comment

First week done in aul lads gaff. Virtually a fullly qualified (albeit a terribad) carpenter/plumber. Electrician apprenticeship begins in the morning, say a prayer lads.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                      If anyone plays chess they should get a good laugh from this video.

Is this real . Looks like it's an instructional video on what not to do. Surely

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

False alarm, which is great news, but fuck me that is some cold I have, as I have all the symptoms of Covid.
                                                                                                        Most people got fewer colds than usual over the last 18 months, because of the social restrictions and mask wearing. Pretty sure that has lead to a loss of the immunity that we normally have to them.

Comment

Fior di latte (sp?) cheese on pizzas - absolute game changer. Kicks mozzarella into the hapenny place.

Comment

Fior di latte (sp?) cheese on pizzas - absolute game changer. Kicks mozzarella into the hapenny place.
                                                                                                            Oh you, and your white supremacist cheese mongering https://theconversation.com/milk-a-s...azi-hate-83292

Comment

Ratting this lad out to you Hitch..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

70th birthday show for Geldof is a great idea but fuck me Turgidy

And Bob's voice is bollixed.

Comment

How damn cute is Andrea still .

Comment

Oh you, and your white supremacist cheese mongering https://theconversation.com/milk-a-s...azi-hate-83292
                                                                                                                    Wow. First frogs, now milk.

What otherwise harmless thing will be turned into a racist trope next?

Comment

What otherwise harmless thing will be turned into a racist trope next?
                                                                                                                      I think I tried promoting heterosexuality as the worst thing ever, ages ago. Fucking perverts behaving like viruses.

Comment

Comment

That's one sexy voice .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X