Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell to Richard H. Kirk of early 80s electronic music pioneers Cabaret Voltaire (and a million other avant garde aliases) who died today at 65.

One of my faves was his old Sheffield bleep classic Tricky Disco. I still remember the day I bought my copy in a Leeds record shop and the times I danced deliriously to its bug-eyed, lolloping electro breakbeats just like the aliens from the SMASH tv ad!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      Casey Fitz. Rory Shane. Westwood Victor. Fleetwood Hatton. Rahm Cheeseburger. Sergio Poults.
      Have put a 4 hour 'meeting' in my calendar for 1:30 on Fri.

Herself on a hen, and I'm being left to mind the baba on my own for the first time.

So much golf to watch.

Comment

Sad to see such potential crash and burn.
        He was a talented athlete too & ran for Ireland.

Was always a bit "flash Harry",
        to the extent that his school chums
        at that bastion of privilege BlackRock College nicknamed him Guineys after the
        cheap as chips department store.

His son was at the Tokyo Olympics
        as a member of the rugby sevens team.

Has been through the legal system before
        when one of my neighbours sued him
        for an investment that went south
        so maybe wait and see if he's guilty.

Comment

When the money for the Maseratis ran dry...

Hedonic Treadmill: Once we've obtained what we desire, our happiness quickly returns to its baseline level, and we begin to desire something else. Whatever happens, good or bad, we get used to it. As such, the most fortunate of us are seldom much happier than the least.

(From that tweet thread)
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            Draftkings reportedly make 20bn stock offer for Entwain (Ladbrokes, Party, Bwin).

Big offer…

Don’t think I like it.
            wowsers, entwain has finally topped diageo as the most pointless corporate name of all time.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Hedonic Treadmill: Once we've obtained what we desire, our happiness quickly returns to its baseline level, and we begin to desire something else. Whatever happens, good or bad, we get used to it. As such, the most fortunate of us are seldom much happier than the least.

(From that tweet thread)
              If you apply that to sleep it's TRUE. Sometimes I'd kill for just 1 day to myself when I can just sleep, when the opportunity presents itself I lie there , go wtf and get up and do something. That usually involves sleep deprivation by the time I'm finished with the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Have put a 4 hour 'meeting' in my calendar for 1:30 on Fri.

Herself on a hen, and I'm being left to mind the baba on my own for the first time.

So much golf to watch.
                POD is hilarious in the interviews. For a man that is so obsessed with his golf it's like hes just winging it . Love listening to him . Honest stuff .

Comment

The opportunity has presented itself?

Comment

The opportunity has presented itself?
                    God bless Finland.

Comment

(From that tweet thread)
                      The Diderot Effect too.

The Diderot Effect helps explain why we buy things we don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The Diderot Effect too.

https://jamesclear.com/diderot-effect
                        I'd say that applies to anyone who's ever bought that 300 quid axe Raoul linked before.

Definitely seems to be some sort of quick fizzing endorphin rush whenever you buy something you don't really need.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                          Sad to see such potential crash and burn.
                          He was a talented athlete too & ran for Ireland.

Was always a bit "flash Harry",
                          to the extent that his school chums
                          at that bastion of privilege BlackRock College nicknamed him Guineys after the
                          cheap as chips department store.

His son was at the Tokyo Olympics
                          as a member of the rugby sevens team.

Better to live in the moment and remember him as another posh twat that finally got caught with his hands a bit red

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            I'm a teatotaller and and a coffeetotaller. I have been made feel like a leper all my life . Strange. Although I used to get cold sores a lot too which didnt help with the leprosy feeling.

Any other non domestic beverage drinker ? What's you alternative ? For me it's a hard to break diet coke habit.
                            Have never drank tea or coffee, constantly get weird looks over it and even asked if I'm adopted as my Dad's side of the family constantly have the kettle on the boil 24/7.

For hot drinks, I'd drink a hot chocolate although the quality varies greatly so need to be selective.

Not really a big soft drinks drinker at all. Cordial would be what I'd drink at home and just plain water in work.

Comment

I'd say that applies to anyone who's ever bought that 300 quid axe Raoul linked before.

Definitely seems to be some sort of quick fizzing endorphin rush whenever you buy something you don't really need.
                              Did your knife ever arrive ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Fuck me, that was a spectacular opening episode!!! Experimented with the languages - the dubbing is ferocious. Korean and English subtitles worked vastly better.
                                On episode 4.... What a weird show. Very compelling though.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Did your knife ever arrive ?
                                  Nope. The kid seems to have gotten overwhelmed with orders. Couldn't communicate with him for months so just gave up on it.

Comment

Nope. The kid seems to have gotten overwhelmed with orders. Couldn't communicate with him for months so just gave up on it.
                                    Did you pay him?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Did you pay him?
                                      No thankfully. I actually offered to at the start.

Was really tempted to make a fuss on his IG page, give him a bit of shit over it but decided not to.

Figured he's just a kid and was possibly struggling with the pressure. His order book blew up shortly after I ordered mine.

I just clicked the unfollow button and forgot about it.

Was pissed off though.

Comment

Bizarre convo in the shop there.

I asked how much the lotto was per line with no plus.

'You can't buy one line, it's a minimum of two'

'Oh that's fine, I just want to know how much it is per line'

'But you can't buy one line'

'I want to buy multiple lines, but I want to know how much each one costs'

'You have to spend a minimum of €4 and that is two lines'

FmL gimme ten lines you gowl.

Comment

Fuck me, that was a spectacular opening episode!!! Experimented with the languages - the dubbing is ferocious. Korean and English subtitles worked vastly better.
                                          Yeah never ever watch the dub. It's always terribad.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Bizarre convo in the shop there.

I asked how much the lotto was per line with no plus.

'You can't buy one line, it's a minimum of two'

'Oh that's fine, I just want to know how much it is per line'

'But you can't buy one line'

'I want to buy multiple lines, but I want to know how much each one costs'

'You have to spend a minimum of €4 and that is two lines'

FmL gimme ten lines you gowl.
                                            I’ll go in later. Can I have 3 lines , 2 with the plus and 1 without the plus. Can I also have a Monday night ticket and a Eurolotto ticket, one without plus one with plus and is there a raffle on any of these ? and I’ll take these doughnuts and a can of diet coke. Did the cute tall one get pregnant? It’s very frustrating, they hire tall cute ones and then they get pregnant. It’s like someone pissing on my cornflakes. When/Where is that new SuperValue opening up? I expect a few cute tall one’s might apply. It can’t be any more expensive. I heard some young teenager leaving the other day, FFS, you get nothing for a tenner is that shop. She’s right and I told her that. She seemed startled that I was interjecting but realised I was no threat when she saw the struggle I had holding onto the kids hand (he likes to play chicken with cars) YEAH FFS we both agreed on the pricing. Robbing bastards.

Comment

POD is hilarious in the interviews. For a man that is so obsessed with his golf it's like hes just winging it . Love listening to him . Honest stuff .
                                              He's a mad man. Absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The Diderot Effect too.

https://jamesclear.com/diderot-effect
                                                Oniomania
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

He's a mad man. Absolutely fantastic.
                                                  Took the week off. Only had one this year so far so felt it was good timing. She's still in work and kids still getting minded. Pure me time.

Played open in Carton Y'day. European Club tomorrow. And then for the day that's in it on Friday morning. Fourball matchplay in the home club where the losers will buy lunch in the boozer where we'll be from 1pm and into the evening. The draw Yankee will be clicking this year..

Going shopping in town today on my own for the first time in two years it feels.

A week off doesn't mean you need to fuck off away. Just do stuff you like. Have slack deleted from the phone and the work mails disabled no stress of chasing after kids. Feels like an actual break.
                                                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Took the week off. Only had one this year so far so felt it was good timing. She's still in work and kids still getting minded. Pure me time.

Played open in Carton Y'day. European Club tomorrow. And then for the day that's in it on Friday morning. Fourball matchplay in the home club where the losers will buy lunch in the boozer where we'll be from 1pm and into the evening. The draw Yankee will be clicking this year..

Going shopping in town today on my own for the first time in two years it feels.

A week off doesn't mean you need to fuck off away. Just do stuff you like. Have slack deleted from the phone and the work mails disabled no stress of chasing after kids. Feels like an actual break.
                                                    ​​​​
                                                    Sounds like my perfect week.

I’m off to Portrush on Sunday. Play golf then watch the singles. Playing Monday morning too. Love the RC and always organise something around it. It’s much better when it’s in the states.
                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

​​​​
                                                      Living the dream. Myself and the daughter are playing a good work mate and his son this afternoon in two ball scramble match-play. Trying to bolster the daughters sledging game.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

There definitely is and some people seem to live on it, and I see a lot of people have trouble saving due to it. Same thing with micro-transactions in games, little rushes that they get. I don't ever really want things in that sense, having a laugh with a friend is it for me. I finally bought my first thing that wasn't food in 2 years, last week, a pair of football boots and even then i was like, hmm do I even need these (and I'm playing 2-3 times a week). I enjoy learning about and researching something rather than the actual buying and getting of it. In general, contentment comes from inside, nothing else.

Comment

I take it all back. Just picked up the Man U kit, shin guards, a football, personal training with Ronaldo.

Comment

IMG_20210922_130745.jpg Nice surprise today, these two newlyweds popped into work. Grand catch up! ​​​​​​
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

​​​​
                                                              You have taken Lazare's handle.

GFYST

I myself am trying to move out while renovation work is ongoing, furniture, wifes pile of shite, kids pile of shite x 2 and my tootbrush all while trying to do end of year accounts and field work calls and ferry kids to all manner of new sign up sports and manage an U7s team.

Comment

Time for blood on the greens
                                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

That new role I took in Feb seems to be confirmed as a total career dead end.

Need to work out a way to elegantly reverse out of it, without scraping the paint off my chassis.
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Need to work out a way to elegantly reverse out of it, without scraping the paint off my chassis.
                                                                    Given your age, gotta accept that you reached the peak of your career and that it is all downhill from here .

Basically stay in the role and turn it into cash cow
                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

If you are doing something you enjoy and are paid well does the above matter?
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

If you are doing something you enjoy and are paid well does the above matter?
                                                                        One of those conditions applies, one does not.

I'll sort something out, just annoying that was sold to me as a step up has in fact turned out to be at best a step sideways. The vagaries of corporate life.

Comment

finally people have copped on about Ted lasso

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                            The last ep with Coach Beard was class.
                                                                            The joyless cynicism of that article is exactly why Ted Lasso is succesful.
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                              Watched S01 and what struck me about it was that its unashamedly a children's show, I remember being a teenager and there being a sort of a comfort blanket effect of watching some kiddies shows and Ted Lasso definitely feels a bit like that.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Whos this mystery guest fella?
                                                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                  Whos this mystery guest fella?
                                                                                  A less cynical version of PSV.

Comment

I'll sort something out, just annoying that was sold to me as a step up has in fact turned out to be at best a step sideways. The vagaries of corporate life.
                                                                                    They never sell these things as a step sideways do they?

You need to identify some up and coming talent to take your spot and do a shimmy…fuckers never let you switch if it’s going to create a problem for them.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

They never sell these things as a step sideways do they?

You need to identify some up and coming talent to take your spot and do a shimmy…fuckers never let you switch if it’s going to create a problem for them.
                                                                                      think I may have just achieved that (literally in the last 10 minutes)

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

A less cynical version of PSV.
                                                                                        Surely in the 7 kingdoms such a person doesnt exist.

Comment

think I may have just achieved that (literally in the last 10 minutes)

That’s the hardest bit. Now identify where you want to land and then put the plan in motion!! Good luck.
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

That’s the hardest bit. Now identify where you want to land and then put the plan in motion!! Good luck.
                                                                                            just realise you are doing to that c*nt what was done to you and realise the motivations and incentives of each

Comment

Finished your Squid Games tonight. Was ludicrous in the best way possible. Talk about OTT.
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                I enjoy learning about and researching something rather than the actual buying and getting of it. In general, contentment comes from inside, nothing else.
                                                                                                This. I have noticed I am in a wanting to buy things phase atm, and it's a combination of that Diderot effect and enjoying researching the things to get. I am slightly hampered by not really wanting anything, so I'm buying things for other people. Having bought an Amazon Echo Dot to listen to Audible a few weeks ago I am now a big fan of these devices, as I'm listening to lots of music now whereas before Spotify wasn't worth listening to on my phone or tinny Chromebook.

So I decided a relative needed her Internet radio in her kitchen replaced with a Google Nest Audio which I picked up yesterday, and her bedroom clock and stereo needed to be replaced with an Echo Show 5 which arrived today. I decided an elderly aunt needed 3 new home phones which I got, and that she needed Netflix which she has been happily watching for a week. The strangest being on Sunday when a friend who is heading off on a retreat soon where you can't use your phone as an alarm asked if I had a travel alarm clock to lend him and I told him I would buy him a good LED one.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                  Finished your Squid Games tonight. Was ludicrous in the best way possible. Talk about OTT.
                                                                                                  Very much agree .

SPOILER
                                                                                                  episode 6 though . That was a fucking brutal episode. Absolutely heartbreaking.
                                                                                                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                    By all means, let the man have his due process. But the above past history really doesn't help his credibility.
                                                                                                    An investment goign south is zero grounds to sue somebody. Investments go south all the time. So presumably there was some sort of shenanigans involved.

If you apply that to sleep it's TRUE. Sometimes I'd kill for just 1 day to myself when I can just sleep, when the opportunity presents itself I lie there , go wtf and get up and do something. That usually involves sleep deprivation by the time I'm finished with the day.
                                                                                                    I'm sure there's a name for that, I don't know what it is, but it's not really the hedonic treadmill. The hedonic treadmill means you actually get the thing you wanted not just the opportunity, and the satisfaction wears off. So the goal posts move.

It would be like wanted a min of 8 hours a night, and after a few months, deciding that 10 is what you need. and so on craving ore and more sleep. Not sure anyone could do that with sleep.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    So I decided a relative needed her Internet radio in her kitchen replaced with a Google Nest Audio which I picked up yesterday, and her bedroom clock and stereo needed to be replaced with an Echo Show 5 which arrived today. I decided an elderly aunt needed 3 new home phones which I got, and that she needed Netflix which she has been happily watching for a week.
                                                                                                    That sounds really nice. To be in a phase where what you want, is to improve life for others.
                                                                                                    But I am curious whey you got the aunt the Nest in one room, and the Echo in another? I haven't really research the echo (was given a Nest), but would assume there's a benefit to going with devices that work together?

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

just realise you are doing to that c*nt what was done to you and realise the motivations and incentives of each
                                                                                                      No malice involved, pure accidents.

People like to think of corporations as being efficient machines, the truth though is that most meaningful work gets done despite the system, not because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

A sideways move for Raoul, could well be a step up the ladder for the other block. It's all relative to current position.

Comment

Hotspur has triggered me - We broke our old internet radio, is the Google Nest Audio a decent replacement?

Comment

Hotspur has triggered me - We broke our old internet radio, is the Google Nest Audio a decent replacement?
                                                                                                            Just make sure you don't get a DAB radio. They turned off the signal in Ireland on March 31st this year. Bizarre that retailers are still selling them.
                                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I'd imagine you are completely on top of this, so this is superfluous advice, but I'd also be looking upwards and see who tried to kill your trajectory after the big data project win, and what you can do to, in turn, scupper them. They've shown fear!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                Finished three episodes and its ridiculous at the highest level. Great stuff.

Comment

I'd imagine you are completely on top of this, so this is superfluous advice, but I'd also be looking upwards and see who tried to kill your trajectory after the big data project win, and what you can do to, in turn, scupper them. They've shown fear!
                                                                                                                  Nobody tried to kill anything (or at least if they did, they are more subtly sociopathic than I gave them credit for), this is just shifting sands. Priorities change rapidly!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Just make sure you don't get a DAB radio. They turned off the signal in Ireland on March 31st this year. Bizarre that retailers are still selling them.
                                                                                                                    That was the old one. Even before then it was weird as some stations were on DAB and some weren't.

Comment

We're off to Legoland tomorrrow. A first time in Denmark, to celebrate the youngest birthday on the grounds that he had to hide in a cupboard for his own safety last birthday due to corona lockdowns. Has anyone been to Denmark, and recommend anything to eat? I tried to google Danish fastfood as often fast food is the purest insight into a nations mindset, but it seems surprisingly empty. I would have thought battered and deep-fried bacon would be a minimum.

Comment

While not being strictly Danish, it being a regional delicacy means that this beauty may be available.

Comment

They do cuisine well though i believe. Lots of Michelin starred restaurants most notably Noma which is/was often voted the worlds best. Not sure how that fits in with Kids/Legoland though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X