This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The point I was trying to make is that often from one side I see this undercurrent of superiority where people love to be trying to draw some dots between intelligence and vaccine views. The examples I gave are obviously very intelligent people.
    Seems to me that the majority of Anti vaxxers pass as 'very intelligent' but that does nothing to protect them from being complete and utter gobshites.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

It could be a state thing. Are you sure those companies are mandating vaccine proof to return to work? I work for a big American company.
      Yes
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Been watching The Wire back since someone mentioned it a few weeks back. One thing I had forgotten is the plethora of great minor characters (like everyone will remember all the major characters like McNulty, Bunk, Barksdale, Stringer etc).

The white drug dealer in Season 2 who acts like he's black ('do ya feel me, my n***?') just cracks me up entirely.
        I've also been watching it since for whatever reason my sky box started filling up with episodes last month. Up to the end of S03 now and its all just so great.
        There is a fairly lowkey episode in the middle of S02 where we meet PropJoe the Russian lad and Zuutroy and Prop Joe is fixing a toaster as he reluctantly agrees to spare Ziggy's life, everything about that scene and the whole episode is nailed on perfect.

Comment

From doing a little digging it looks more like they are already having trouble getting staff to fill the event so adding more restrictions such as a vaccine mandate is probably felt makes that even harder. The situation of requiring players to be but not having them vaccinated seems ludicrous.

As with all Caesars Entertainment Team Members, WSOP Team Members are strongly encouraged to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Caesars is committed to making vaccination easy and accessible for all Team Members. Additionally, the Company is providing significant incentives for Team Members who choose to be vaccinated.

Comment

I wanted to watch The Wire again myself but the wife doesn't fancy it. We've very little TV time so she wants to invest in something new. Pretty sure we've watched it three times.

Guy in work recommends OZ, yay or nay?
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Am also just at the end of S2 of The Wire. Thoroughly enjoying it even on my third rewatch.
              SPOILER
              Just at the part where Frank Sobotka gets knelt, always gets me the way it's shot, him walking to his fate and the screen cuts to black

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                I wanted to watch The Wire again myself but the wife doesn't fancy it. We've very little TV time so she wants to invest in something new. Pretty sure we've watched it three times.

Not sure about Oz but if you like the Wire then i'd recommend The Shield. One that you don't often hear mentioned amongst the all time greats but most definitely up there.

Comment

I never forget the 1st time I saw an episode of the Wire. Was in a crappy hotel room in Cuba some odd 15 years ago on a TV that looked like it was made in the 80s and was instantly hooked.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I was basically talking about the kind of people who watch Fox or OAN. And being manipulated by the likes of Tucker Carlson or the various proto-Trumps out there.

But yeah, wouldn't be making excuses for anyone at this stage for being anti-vax. There's no two sides to this.
                    Yes there is. You have become the most arrogant individual. You recognize that are now maybe ten people who post here. Max. Close to zero new posters. I'm not sure where this superiority comes from. I'm done though. Going to delete this account.

I'd be happy to take any IQ test with you and see how it runs out. There are INCREDIBLY profound, and gifted, talented elite achievers who have serious reservations about what is going on. They for the most part agree that vaccines are great. Even this one is great. But people have a fucking right to decide what goes into your body.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

Yes there is.
                      But people have a fucking right to decide what goes into your body.
                      Have a listen to that doc about typhoid Mary and come back and tell me if you think they were right or wrong to quarantine her.

Comment

Oz isn't bad but not really female friendly imo.

Watch justified, you won't be disappointed. Definitely one of my fav series.

Comment

But people have a fucking right to decide what goes into your body.
                          I don't think (but could be wrong) that i've seen anyone disagree with this. But it would be misguided to think that it can't have knock-on consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I've also been watching it since for whatever reason my sky box started filling up with episodes last month. Up to the end of S03 now and its all just so great.
                            There is a fairly lowkey episode in the middle of S02 where we meet PropJoe the Russian lad and Zuutroy and Prop Joe is fixing a toaster as he reluctantly agrees to spare Ziggy's life, everything about that scene and the whole episode is nailed on perfect.
                            Shame to let a good toaster get away over a frayed cord.

Comment

Have a listen to that doc about typhoid Mary and come back and tell me if you think they were right or wrong to quarantine her.

I have no idea who or what that is.

And If I listen to that will you critically engage with material I provide for you. Not teenage conspiracy theorists or arm chair warriors, or rabied anti vaxxed but people fall more intelligent and versed in all this than all of this. I doubt it right. Or maybe youd be like sure. Hopefully that, and hopefully I could find the same tolerance.

Comment

Oz was groundbreaking. No Oz, no The Wire. I used to be very exited to watch it every Thursday night at about 11 pm on Channel 4. It's as hard-hitting as they come, so it depends on your tolerance for violence. I absolutely loved it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Not sure about Oz but if you like the Wire then i'd recommend The Shield. One that you don't often hear mentioned amongst the all time greats but most definitely up there.
                                  Cheers man, we've seen it. You're right, it doesn't get the love it deserves. Great show.

Comment

Mad coincidence that I mentioned her story last night and it's a recently aired documentary . I guess on the other hand its topical.

On the wacko side of things , it's coming up to my sisters anniversary and have been watching some paranormal documentaries. ( we cling onto the redic at times ) . Anyhow one of the points was to suggest something unusual as a sign from the other side. So I asked for a ladybird to land on my arm within 12 hours . A few hours later the youngest wacks me on the arm with his new book just picked from Easons in Liffey valley . A Ladybird book he randomly selected.

I know I know but still .

Comment

The Wire was the 1st series that everyone insisted upon . Lived up to the hype.

Comment

The missus is a tough un, she'd be well up for a violent show.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                          The Wire was the 1st series that everyone insisted upon . Lived up to the hype.
                                          Yeah, I remember first hearing about it here. From Norwich Fan Rob iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Mad coincidence that I mentioned her story last night and it's a recently aired documentary . I guess on the other hand its topical.

On the wacko side of things , it's coming up to my sisters anniversary and have been watching some paranormal documentaries. ( we cling onto the redic at times ) . Anyhow one of the points was to suggest something unusual as a sign from the other side. So I asked for a ladybird to land on my arm within 12 hours . A few hours later the youngest wacks me on the arm with his new book just picked from Easons in Liffey valley . A Ladybird book he randomly selected.

I know I know but still .
                                            Coincidences are fascinating.

I remember one time being in the queue of a petrol station and thinking for a moment the guy in front was a lad I was friends with in school who I hadn't seen in 25 years. Almost said hello.

Was in a different petrol station the next day, over near the airport and bumped into the actual guy.

​​​​

Comment

I think I may have told that story here before and HJ said it was unremarkable.

Could be wrong.

Comment

Apparently I inadvertently sent a couple of follower requests earlier. I've no idea what it even is so if you got one just please ignore it. Thanks

Comment

Is it a big deal to drive on the motorway as a learner? (driving accompanied)
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just the M50. It's a complete bollix to get to the other side of Dublin without it. I do understand the rule on motorways exists, but wonder if the M50 might be viewed more as a 'regular Dublin road' rather than a motorway. If you get me....

Comment

Brother just committed his iron-man down in Italy. 10:52 hours of what sounds like complete agony.

* edit: hours not minutes
                                                      ​​
                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-09-21, 19:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Just the M50. It's a complete bollix to get to the other side of Dublin without it. I do understand the rule on motorways exists, but wonder if the M50 might be viewed more as a 'regular Dublin road' rather than a motorway. If you get me....
                                                        Of all the motorways, the M50 is the last one I'd use as a learner. Accompanied or not. Its mayhem even for experienced drivers. And if you have any kind of collision/incident (over 1200 a year on the M50) you're fucked as a learner.

The slow pace of cross city traffic is grand to learn in instead of a 3 lane motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Of all the motorways, the M50 is the last one I'd use as a learner. Accompanied or not. Its mayhem even for experienced drivers. And if you have any kind of collision/incident (over 1200 a year on the M50) you're fucked as a learner.

The slow pace of cross city traffic is grand to learn in instead of a 3 lane motorway.
                                                          Ah fuck. Okay, thanks. I'm registered in a DIY course in Hartstown that's going to be a bollix to get to on a Monday evening in that case.

Comment

Is it a big deal to drive on the motorway as a learner? (driving accompanied)
                                                            You can't drive on motorways as a learner without a qualified driving instructor. Accompanied by a qualified driver won't wash if you're stopped or God forbid have an accident. Your insurance would be void to add to the pain.

Comment

I think I may have told that story here before and HJ said it was unremarkable.

Could be wrong.
                                                              You definitely have

I'm actually in the middle of my first re-watch of The Shield, originally devoured it on DVD a few years after it aired. Still awesome.

Comment

Ah fuck. Okay, thanks. I'm registered in a DIY course in Hartstown that's going to be a bollix to get to on a Monday evening in that case.
                                                                Depends on what time of evening obvs but I just popped it into maps from your place to Hartstown using the M50 and avoiding it and times were 32mins and 47mins so that's not any kind of difference really.

And because you'll be accompanied, you've got 100% peace of mind avoiding the motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                  Also - on the subject of anti-vaxxers, are there any real world consequences for the fucking eejits that pulled that fella out of hospital (he is now dead)?

Doesn't sit well with me at all.
                                                                  fake news merchant

Comment

Great doc here about a man and his 27 year journey to build the world's best hi-fi system. If you've any interest at all in engineering, technology or just people with astounding passion and obsession this will boggle and satisfy!

The detail he went into is truly staggering. He built much of it - speakers, turntable, the room with no flat surfaces - himself and one wonders what other prices he paid other than the huge financial cost.

He also has 35,000 records, mostly classical by the looks of it, and admits he'll never hear the vast majority of them. He built his own turntable and its weighs about a quarter of a ton.

Teasingly, we never get to hear the system or watch him enjoy it.

I'd happily pay a decent chunk just to spend one hour listening to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I don't think (but could be wrong) that i've seen anyone disagree with this. But it would be misguided to think that it can't have knock-on consequences.
                                                                      You're correct: that's precisely the point everyone's making.

Comment

Speaking of things anti-vax, I'm reliably informed that lunatic Dolores Cahill is no longer going to be moulding minds at UCD.

Comment

Brother just committed his iron-man down in Italy. 10:52 hours of what sounds like complete agony.

* edit: hours not minutes
                                                                          ​​

Lol wt talk about coincidences I think know who he is... I don't know him but if he's who I think he is I know him to see from the local tri club and his job.

Comment

You're correct: that's precisely the point everyone's making.
                                                                            Call bullshit. In actuality that's exactly what is being said. Except everyone is sure to add in, oh well, of course you should have a choice. Of course.

Just not to keep your job, or provide for yourself or your family. And whatever worse is to come.

At least have the balls to say yeah sure I think Unvaxxed, should be rounded up. Forcefully vaxed. Or reeducated. Or whatever fucking bullshit has been spouted throughout history when one group of humans pathologically decide to hate another.

Comment

Found this today when I was clearing out a wardrobe
                                                                              Attached Files
                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Fucking hell. This is some hit you dont see these days.

Comment

Crazy one in the T20 final, two fielders Bell Drummond and Cox coming in to try take a catch on a ball a meter from the boundary, neither of them are calling that they have it, Bell Drummond sees Cox has it and tries to get out of the way but slides into Cox who has made a clean catch and the boundary at the same time. TV review and it's called a 6. Batsman puts it up in the air again next delivery and Cox catches it this time.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-09-21, 20:16.

Comment

Now Cox has gone and done this

Comment

Lol wt talk about coincidences I think know who he is... I don't know him but if he's who I think he is I know him to see from the local tri club and his job.
                                                                                      Are you in the Naas one?!! Yeah that's him. Working in a place with State in the name.

Comment

Speaking of things anti-vax, I'm reliably informed that lunatic Dolores Cahill is no longer going to be moulding minds at UCD.
                                                                                        Let's hope she can make a living from anti-vax martyrdom.

So is Joe still in the land of the living or wat?
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Depends on what time of evening obvs but I just popped it into maps from your place to Hartstown using the M50 and avoiding it and times were 32mins and 47mins so that's not any kind of difference really.

And because you'll be accompanied, you've got 100% peace of mind avoiding the motorway.
                                                                                          Cheers. I've found crosscity traffic quite harrowing, hence the doubt. But the wife is in the car. In fact she's also doing an evening course. So maybe we can use the one hour each way drive to talk about our feelings ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Let's hope she can make a living from anti-vax martyrdom.

So is Joe still in the land of the living or wat?
                                                                                            Well, also according to my reliable sauces (hat tip to Ratso from the Kinky Friedman books), she's extremely well set financially so not a concern.

Comment

At least have the balls to say yeah sure I think Unvaxxed, should be rounded up. Forcefully vaxed. Or reeducated.
                                                                                              If these are the options, I'll take (c) please.

Not in the Chinese camp sense though. More the reason and logic one, although I suspect it might be too late for that.

2,579 covid deaths in the US yesterday. Almost all of them amongst the unvaccinated.

Comment

Well she wasn't teaching anymore. So there was minimal mould at play. But I'd be nearly sure she was just offered early retirement? Which seems like a net win for her.

Something must have happened to her along the way. She was top top top potential back in the day and then it all went pete tong.

Comment

But I'd be nearly sure she was just offered early retirement? Which seems like a net win for her.
                                                                                                  Not the case.

Comment

Would have been a great night to be in Shelbourne park, after a lifetime of trying and their fair share of bad luck my cousins won the greyhound derby.

Comment

Not the case.
                                                                                                      Ffs. And you seem to have the certainty of someone who was told by someone who knows. That was my backup plan if everything went wrong "they'll just retire me".

Comment

Ffs. And you seem to have the certainty of someone who was told by someone who knows. That was my backup plan if everything went wrong "they'll just retire me".
                                                                                                        Well, we did joke with the the other academic at the table about 'it must be pretty hard to fire a professor, right?' and he laughed knowingly.

But it can be done, after a fairly tortuous process.

Comment

Cheers. I've found crosscity traffic quite harrowing, hence the doubt. But the wife is in the car. In fact she's also doing an evening course. So maybe we can use the one hour each way drive to talk about our feelings ​​​​​
                                                                                                          Well, as someone who had to adjust quickly from driving the deserted roads of Kerry to driving around Dublin doing deliveries when I first moved up. I would say if you're finding city driving harrowing, really and truly avoid the m50. Its harrowing, but at speed!

And you'll never know, you might find the missus is quite nice

Comment

Photos app came up with this fairly random poker photo as an on this day 10 years ago memory. I had to go back to the day to see what context I took it in.
                                                                                                            Shouldn't have needed to because the pic behind the spoiler was long odds on

SPOILER

Nice few pics for posterity, probably the last time I sat across the felt from the great man. Anyone know how he's doing thee days? As I remember he wasn't in great health that night.

Obv it was a huge 3 bet pot all in on the flop and the 3 (the threes were running that night) came on the turn
                                                                                                            AFAIR the lad on the right in the 2nd pic was the AA and the rest of the players were UK and French for whom getting Chiefed was a whole new experience

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-09-21, 22:28.

Comment

Call bullshit. In actuality that's exactly what is being said. Except everyone is sure to add in, oh well, of course you should have a choice. Of course.

Just not to keep your job, or provide for yourself or your family. And whatever worse is to come.
                                                                                                              Again, tell me whether it was right to quarantine Typhoid Mary or should she have been let carry on because she never had suffered from typhoid and she claimed to know better than the scientists who had just come up with the previously unimagined concept of a asymptomatic carrier. (she even had her own battery of crank alternative scientists who denied she was infectious).

Comment

A question for the jbravado types .

How dangerous should a virus/disease be before you lose the right to work with others without getting vaccinated against it ? Where is the line in the sand and who should decide where that line goes ? There simply has to be a line though . Right ?

Comment

Again, tell me whether it was right to quarantine Typhoid Mary or should she have been let carry on because she never had suffered from typhoid and she claimed to know better than the scientists who had just come up with the previously unimagined concept of a asymptomatic carrier. (she even had her own battery of crank alternative scientists who denied she was infectious).
                                                                                                                  It's a remarkable story all the same .

Comment

Photos app came up with this fairly random poker photo as an on this day 10 years ago memory. I had to go back to the day to see what context I took it in.
                                                                                                                    Shouldn't have needed to because the pic behind the spoiler was long odds on

SPOILER

Nice few pics for posterity, probably the last time I sat across the felt from the great man. Anyone know how he's doing thee days? As I remember he wasn't in great health that night.

Obv it was a huge 3 bet pot all in on the flop and the 3 (the threes were running that night) came on the turn
                                                                                                                    AFAIR the lad on the right in the 2nd pic was the AA and the rest of the players were UK and French for whom getting Chiefed was a whole new experience

Sadly the great man got "chiefed" a couple of years back.
                                                                                                                    Still remember the sheer terror of his reign with fondness.

The Lads in the 2nd picture are all locals & still active,
                                                                                                                    reading from left: George, Ali & Michael.

Hurry up October 22nd, the iPO awaits.

Comment

Would have been a great night to be in Shelbourne park, after a lifetime of trying and their fair share of bad luck my cousins won the greyhound derby.
                                                                                                                      Delighted for Peter, lovely man.
                                                                                                                      ​​Winning the Derby is a dream,
                                                                                                                      to do it with a bitch is exceptional,
                                                                                                                      to do it with a puppy bitch is off the charts.

Makes up for Owens tragic loss last year.
                                                                                                                      Newbridge will be rocking.

Comment

I think people should have the choice.
                                                                                                                        whst exactly is wrong with thinking that?

I asked for for info on this point yesterday. I assume you missed it in the overnight phase, I don’t think you were intentionally dodgy it Sam. But I’m still really curious as to where it has come from.
                                                                                                                        Who has lost their job? Seems to be more about a hypothetical

At least have the balls to say yeah sure I think Unvaxxed, should be rounded up. Forcefully vaxed. Or reeducated. Or whatever fucking bullshit has been spouted throughout history when one group of humans pathologically decide to hate another.
                                                                                                                        I think you know this is ridiculous.

Comment

Ouch. For some reason had a bottle of wine for breakfast yesterday, which lead to the purchase of a bottle of vodka in the afternoon. So was well into that, and watching the first matrix movie, as you would on a Saturday afternoon. The Nokia product placement in the film inspired me to fire up an old phone and drunk dial some people. Probably best to wait till I'm sober to apologise to the poor girl who answered.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X