This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy fuck F1

Last edited by Micknail; 12-09-21, 21:04.
    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Not sure if Medvedev is playing really well or Djokovic is a bit flustered in the tennis here. Although if anyone can win from this position...
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        About 300 of them maybe and we're good to start worrying.
        Are you saying 300 because a curse is beyond ludicrous. Or you genuinely that we need that name tests for statistical significance?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
          Holy fuck F1

3 place grid penalty for Max in next race seems lenient to me.
          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Are you saying 300 because a curse is beyond ludicrous. Or you genuinely that we need that name tests for statistical significance?
            That many. It's a lot of coin flips you need to lose before you can definitively say the coin is against you. And Mayo are most often the worst team in every final due to the far easier Connaught route to the final, so aren't there with a straight 50:50 coin flip.

Can't link the doc directly, but the point is made well in a googleable document called: Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row is not Surprising

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Connacht, not Connaught, please Sorry, that old spelling (think it is the anglicised version) drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

3 place grid penalty for Max in next race seems lenient to me.
                Outcome of crash is not to influence the punishment.
                Eg. A 51G impact at Silverstone and a five place grid penalty

I think Hamilton knew well what he was doing squeezing in there, but also once Max hits the sausage kerb he was never making the turn.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                  Connacht, not Connaught, please Sorry, that old spelling (think it is the anglicised version) drives me crazy.
                  Oh sorry!

Comment

The Brighton Marathon yesterday became an Ultra as 500 yards miscalculated. Damn right to claim it

Connacht is Connacht. No? Why did the brits make it more complicated? Havent they done enough damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                      The Brighton Marathon yesterday became an Ultra as 500 yards miscalculated. Damn right to claim it

Connacht is Connacht. No? Why did the brits make it more complicated? Havent they done enough damage.
                      I was in the Connaught Hotel once (posh).
                      In fairness, Irish is hard enough to the non-natives.

Try getting a foreigner to pronounce Dun Laoghaire for entertainment value.

Comment

Buxted 7.45 kempton

Comment

That many. It's a lot of coin flips you need to lose before you can definitively say the coin is against you.
                          There’s a difference between definite and probably though. Mathematically, a million to one shot is possible. But so is a rigged coin.

And Mayo are most often the worst team in every final due to the far easier Connaught route to the final, so aren't there with a straight 50:50 coin flip.
                          Agree there’s an easier Connacht route to provincial champions. But that only gets you to last 8. You expect the quarters and semis to neutralise reasonably well.

I’ll check out that article though.
                          30 in a row is in the order of billion to 1 shot.
                          92 must be over a few billion, billion, billion.

300 coin flips? That would surely be approaching a magnitude of a googol.

Comment

Thank God I live in in a more clear cut province like Leicester .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Thank God I live in in a more clear cut province like Leicester .
                              could be worse, you could be in Lunster

Comment

Hey. What do I do about the possibility of punctures. What do ye wander around with in the back of a car - a repair kit, a spare mini-tire, a spare full tire, a general handykit of carjacks etc? In general, what should I do to prepare for a burst tire? There seems to be loads of competing options.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

start with what's in the boot of your car already. Many insurance policies have roadside assistance as standard.
                                  Would you mind ELI5ing that. There is roadside assistance - would you normally ring them if its something as simple as a burst tire, or they'd expect it to be something more serious for call out? Would they normally be quick as a general rule? I was mentally thinking that breakdown assistance is for events where there's no prospect of you doing something about the event.

Comment

Hey. What do I do about the possibility of punctures. What do ye wander around with in the back of a car - a repair kit, a spare mini-tire, a spare full tire, a general handykit of carjacks etc? In general, what should I do to prepare for a burst tire? There seems to be loads of competing options.
                                    I had my first flat car tyre after 33 years of driving earlier in the summer (that's an anti-curse, right?).

Mrs HiFi had to commandeer the manual to methodically read the instructions for the tools etc... I had pretty much given up ('the tools aren't right", "there's tools missing' "its not working" "you need to call somebody"etc...) and we did indeed call the insurance co. who were gonna take 90 mins to arrive.

So we tried again with a bit more focus this time and In the end it took about 20 mins to change

Comment

ah. So its very irregular that a car would break down. I might be overly remembering how often my dad's banjaxed cars broke down and forgetting that modern cars are a lot better.

Comment

ah. So its very irregular that a car would break down. I might be overly remembering how often my dad's banjaxed cars broke down and forgetting that modern cars are a lot better.
                                        Sure yours is just a giant battery on wheels, what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Only puncture was 20y ago. Hottest day of the year at the Toll Bridge on the M50 in a suit, great fun.

*Dont look on this as an invitation please BBV Gods*

Comment

Only ever needed roadside assistance once when the gearbox broke down mid drive. Usually the annual car service would be good enough to ensure you wouldnt break down as they would typically spot potential issues with parts in advance of them breaking down. Usually only have problems with tyres in the older cars due to it being unbalanced but in the newer models the annual service would check the wear and advise if need to be changed etc.
                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                              Only puncture was 20y ago. Hottest day of the year at the Toll Bridge on the M50 in a suit, great fun.

Got one a few months back (first one I can remember). Roadside assist from the insurance to put on a temporary tyre and off we went to the local tyre merchant.

(no spare in the car, by design apparently)

Comment

Would you mind ELI5ing that. There is roadside assistance - would you normally ring them if its something as simple as a burst tire, or they'd expect it to be something more serious for call out? Would they normally be quick as a general rule? I was mentally thinking that breakdown assistance is for events where there's no prospect of you doing something about the event.
                                                I've got them them out for a flat battery.. more than once!
                                                Within an hour mostly.

If they cant fix the problem they tow the car to your nominated mechanic.

Familiarise yourself with changing a tyre. The hardest part is loosening the nuts (WD 40 handy here, in fact its great for everything squeaky doors etc)
                                                Mind you with these fancy new cars you might have run flats.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's ever been expressed anywhere in the million-plus posts on here, but ye guys are an absolute fountain of knowledge.

Comment

Newer cars are a pain in the hole . A lot dont have Spares and if you have alloy wheels , good luck yanking the tyre off. Then if you blow a light bulb you need tiny Trump hands to get at the damn thing. Was easier when the model T came out .

Comment

The current ECJ case is going to be interesting. Full on twitter meltdown incoming me thinks.
                                                      In simple terms, is it not just a case of his current conviction being quashed and he gets convicted again at a retrial without the phone data?

I've only loosely followed it and that could be way off without looking into it further. Twitter doesnt need an excuse for a meltdown tbf.

Comment

Judd Trump currently on the table playing the US Open in Pool. Up 2-0 but could be interesting. Doesn't look especially comfortable.

Comment

You'd have to be a completely useless gobshite to do it but it appears to have become almost standard for people to call someone out to change a puncture for them.

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Do you only drive a small few miles or have you been abnormally lucky ​​​​​​​

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Part two of the intriguing story of the 1980's murder of a priest down in GAB land on RTE now, quite a good telling of the story well worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              You'd have to be a completely useless gobshite to do it but it appears to have become almost standard for people to call someone out to change a puncture for them.

Bit harsh there, not always as simple. Between lock nuts and nuts either put on off the thread with the guns they use in tyre centres or put on redicilously tight with said gun. Have had three punctures myself, excluding slow punctures, and had to call roadside assistance on one of those occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                Judd Trump currently on the table playing the US Open in Pool. Up 2-0 but could be interesting. Doesn't look especially comfortable.
                                                                Thought he looked fine. 9-0. His opponent was shìte so not under any pressure. Played some nice tactical safety when he needed and his opponent just tried to hack himself out of it with no tactics at all. Nice win to get the confidence going.

Comment

Yeah he grew in confidence after that, when he knew his opponent wasn't up to much.

My guess is he will get caught out against stiffer opponents who will put him in much tougher positions - needing the jump queue etc - but on pure potting he could be very close.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post

Bit harsh there, not always as simple. Between lock nuts and nuts either put on off the thread with the guns they use in tyre centres or put on redicilously tight with said gun. Have had three punctures myself, excluding slow punctures, and had to call roadside assistance on one of those occasions.
                                                                    Lock nuts are some pain in the hole.

Comment

Part two of the intriguing story of the 1980's murder of a priest down in GAB land on RTE now, quite a good telling of the story well worth a look.
                                                                      They went right down the road of trying to back up all the gossip of the time of it being all about money without naming any names of the reputed 'half of Offaly' who were in the house at the time it went down. They didn't make the point in the film but it always struck me as beyond credible that the three of them were alone in the house soon after midnight on the night of a big wedding having been held in the house.

Comment

Do you only drive a small few miles or have you been abnormally lucky
                                                                        These days yes but spent 10 years covering the whole of Leinster daily.

Comment

This has the potential to be great considering who is making it

Comment

Corny joke Tuesday

SPOILER
                                                                            An old farmer went to town to see a movie. The ticket girl said, "Sir, what is that on your shoulder?"

The old farmer said, "That is my pet rooster, Chuckie. Wherever I go, Chuckie goes."

"I'm sorry, Sir," said the ticket girl, "We can't allow animals in the theater. Not even a pet chicken."

The old farmer went around the corner and stuffed the chicken down his pants. He returned to the booth,
                                                                            bought a ticket and entered the theater. He sat down next to two old emergency room nurses named Mildred and Marge.

The movie started and the chicken began to squirm. The old farmer un-zipped his pants so Chuckie could stick his head out and watch the movie.

"Marge," whispered Mildred.

"What?" said Marge.

"I think the guy next to me is a pervert."

"What makes you think so?" asked Marge.

"He unzipped his pants and he has his thing out," whispered Mildred.

"Well, don't worry about it," said Marge, "At our age it isn't anything we haven't seen before."

"Yes," said Mildred, "But this one's eating my popcorn!"

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                              This has the potential to be great considering who is making it

I've read that original tweet a few times and still can't make head nor tails of it
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I've read that original tweet a few times and still can't make head nor tails of it
                                                                                I think it might be a result of the evolutionary effect of cryptobabble.

Comment

Rte's Kin was an embarrassment unless it was written and directed by a bunch of transition year students.

Comment

Passport renewal is the most efficient experience I've ever had. Renewed online yesterday afternoon and it got delivered this morning. That's ridiculously quick.

Comment

The essence of it being that somebody has been convicted of murder where no cause of death has been established.
                                                                                      I guess that can't be all that uncommon in criminal justice history i.e. where there's a long gap between the victim's disappearance\death and the discovery of their body?

I suppose in this case, you couldn't prove any other cause of death either. Hence why the other evidence was relied upon, which is now under adjudication for admissability.

Comment

Finally, the Chinese course gets to the part where [spoiler alert] that prick Mao dies [spoiler alert]. Let us rejoice and move forward into a happier place.

Comment

It does seem a bit dodgy, that we are convicting people through breaking the law. I'm not even sure the phone records were all that black-and-white in terms of convicting him.

I knew a guy once who was mad into BSDM (think that's the term) - Graham's thing. He said he was flying to the US once, and planned to pop into a club there, and of course the equipment he was travelling with gets pulled out of the bag by security. "excuse me sir, would you mind explaining to me your intended use of this ball gag".

Comment

Lock nuts are some pain in the hole.
                                                                                            Do cars still end up on blocks with alloys getting robbed now?

Or just a Dublin problem?
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Others will be better placed to comment but I have had some reasonably informed conversation on this with the general view that even with the phone data the original conviction could be considered a miscarriage of justice. Without it, him walking free should be a formality. The essence of it being that somebody has been convicted of murder where no cause of death has been established.

It's complex, so to me it's interesting.
                                                                                              The mobile phone data was really the only piece of evidence that in any way tied him to the death. The DPP had mountains of evidence of him having violent sexual proclivities and of him threatening and harassing Ms. O'Hara. But nothing that physically tied him to the murder. They used the mobile phone data to put him near the ultimate location of the body. That was the key element that allowed them to identify Dwyer and to tie him to the murder. Without it, the prosecution case is probably too weak to survive a retrial.

That's assuming there would be a retrial. Could you find 12 people to serve on a jury who didn't know who Graham Dwyer was or the issue with the mobile phone data? Even if it was excluded by the ECJ, this has been a phenomenally high profile matter since the initial verdict. No chance he gets a fair trial again. So if he wins this, the Supreme Court then has a decision to make. The outcome of the ECJ ruling is not likely to determine the matter outright. It just answers a question the Supreme Court here asked, which in turn will assist them in making their ultimate decision.
                                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

It does seem a bit dodgy, that we are convicting people through breaking the law.
                                                                                                You should read the case of The People (at the Suit of the Director of Public Prosecutions) v J.C. numbers 1 and 2.

It discusses the balancing of rights between unconstitutionally gained evidence and the public interest in prosecution of crime. Needless to say the Supreme Court have given this a lot of thought. The late Adrian Hardiman's judgment is blistering in its criticism of the ultimate decision of the court.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

My great speculative investment journey has come to a bit of a halt due to needing to find extra money for the house purchase, but the grand total of €16,740 invested in crypto ended up being worth approximately €27,000. A not inconsiderable gain, given this all started as a few grand invested in Biden. The gain is mainly from Polkadot, but made a few grand on the virtual land purchases also. I'll have to work on building it back up post house purchase. So if anyone has any great ideas for political bets, I'm all ears.

Comment

I also find it hard to believe, but its most certainly the case, that we wouldn't be able to sign for this house without a Biden-AIB-Polkadot-Virtualland combo bet. Its what has enabled us to breach the gap between bank valuation and contracted price. Haven't officially signed on the line just yet, so its not precisely in the bag, but seems all on course.

Comment

My great speculative investment journey has come to a bit of a halt due to needing to find extra money for the house purchase, but the grand total of €16,740 invested in crypto ended up being worth approximately €27,000. A not inconsiderable gain, given this all started as a few grand invested in Biden. The gain is mainly from Polkadot, but made a few grand on the virtual land purchases also. I'll have to work on building it back up post house purchase. So if anyone has any great ideas for political bets, I'm all ears.
                                                                                                      Sound like you will have a hefty CGT bill to pay?
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Sound like you will have a hefty CGT bill to pay?
                                                                                                        Is that the first thought on my spectacular achievement?!! Haven't worked out the tax fully. I think its a few grand - the betting gain on Biden is taxfree. AIB gain was from around 8k up to 15k. So a 7k taxable gain. I then topped up that 15k to 16.75k with cash for investing in crypto. 5k of the 27k crypto value is still unrealised as I've clung on to it desperately to maintain some semblance of investment. So only some of the 10k crypto gain is taxable at this moment.

Comment

Is that the first thought on my spectacular achievement?!! Haven't worked out the tax fully. I think its a few grand - the betting gain on Biden is taxfree. AIB gain was from around 8k up to 15k. So a 7k taxable gain. I then topped up that 15k to 16.75k with cash for investing in crypto. 5k of the 27k crypto value is still unrealised as I've clung on to it desperately to maintain some semblance of investment. So only some of the 10k crypto gain is taxable at this moment.
                                                                                                          One wonders what the immensity of your excitement would be if you had a pension fund

Comment

CGT is fairly nuts i believe. 33% on everything over €1270 which is £1000 old Punts. Tells you the last time the threshold was reviewed.

Comment

That's twice in a week now I've managed to walk into a shop maskless. Literally wouldn't have done it once before then.

Which means:
                                                                                                              1. I'm going senile
                                                                                                              2. I'm an ignorant bollix
                                                                                                              3. Covid has now been put in the part of my mind marked 'not important'
                                                                                                              4. All of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                That's twice in a week now I've managed to walk into a shop maskless. Literally wouldn't have done it once before then.

Which means:
                                                                                                                1. I'm going senile
                                                                                                                2. I'm an ignorant bollix
                                                                                                                3. Covid has now been put in the part of my mind marked 'not important'
                                                                                                                4. All of the above.
                                                                                                                I did that a few times on busses going back to June, first time was literally on my way back from my second jab. More just other distractions than any of those imo, and I'm sticking to that story for now.
                                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

CGT is fairly nuts i believe. 33% on everything over €1270 which is £1000 old Punts. Tells you the last time the threshold was reviewed.
                                                                                                                  If you think 33% is bad wait until the Donegal IRA are running Finance

Comment

Lots of stuff is taxed as income too with no allowance so even higher.

Think they just recently complicated the rules even further. It's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

One wonders what the immensity of your excitement would be if you had a pension fund
                                                                                                                      Bit crazy that its outdone me a few months this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeab

I need to watch this back.
                                                                                                                        Will be interested to hear the local version of the story from someone who was probably not even born when it happened.

I thought they were very clever in how they presented their inferences but I also wished they had done a bit more with the programme to put it in the context of the times, for instance they didn't make half enough use of Alan Dukes.

Comment

If you think 33% is bad wait until the Donegal IRA are running Finance
                                                                                                                          SF:
                                                                                                                          1. against Property Tax
                                                                                                                          2. for Weath Tax
                                                                                                                          Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X