This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    I used to think John B Keanes the Field was a bit OTT exaggerated.

It's my field. It's my child.I nursed it. I nourished it. I dug the rocks out of it with my bare hands and I made a living thing of it.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I used to think John B Keanes the Field was a bit OTT exaggerated.
      Loosely based on a true story.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Met the man, had a wee chat and his son made me a toastie in his kitchen in his home/bar in Listowel. . Good ol days.

Latest shooting from nearby

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Solar is great for small scale residential supplementary power. But takes up a lot of space at a large scale. Nuclear really has had terrible PR.
          Its just a connection issue with solar, no? Isn't it that the likes of Morocco with their endless deserts could power the world once we get the right transmission lines in place? I haven't hugely looked into it tbh, only the Irish renewable scene, so that might be an exaggeration. But Ireland has, what for our purposes can be viewed as, unlimited renewable energy once we choose to unlock it. Actually my secret, un-calculated belief, is that we should borrow maybe €50bn to invest in offshore wind energy and then that will be a resource for decades to come that we can sell to the continent. Making a fortune on our investment.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

CAO points inflation is off the charts. Luckily the young lad got what he wanted. Loads of his friends who were delighted with their inflated results last week got a nasty kick in the nuts yesterday when the CAO offers came out. I expect little Johnny and Joan to be talking to Joe this afternoon.
            The number of students getting top marks, 625 points, doubled this year on the back of a big jump last year. Bonkers stuff. Could they not map this year distribution back to the usual result distribution downgrading as they went along based on actual marks and half marks?
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Our NFT journey is reaching new highs with a potentially disastrous appearance due to happen next week on a show with a guy called Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                CAO points inflation is off the charts. Luckily the young lad got what he wanted. Loads of his friends who were delighted with their inflated results last week got a nasty kick in the nuts yesterday when the CAO offers came out. I expect little Johnny and Joan to be talking to Joe this afternoon.
                The number of students getting top marks, 625 points, doubled this year on the back of a big jump last year. Bonkers stuff. Could they not map this year distribution back to the usual result distribution downgrading as they went along based on actual marks and half marks?
                Put that in old money for us (although no doubt I will be very familiar with it all in a couple of years).

If you wanted to get into, say business in somewhere like Trinity or UCD, how many As\Bs would you need today? e.g. would most of us fail to get into college now

Comment

Put that in old money for us (although no doubt I will be very familiar with it all in a couple of years).

If you wanted to get into, say business in somewhere like Trinity or UCD, how many As\Bs would you need today? e.g. would most of us fail to get into college now
                  We would certainly all fail to get into college. The wife's boss' kid just got 450 points (which would have counted in the top 10% of grades back when we were all idealistic young commies like collie, and give you a choice of most courses), and he's doubtful whether he can get a bin emptying job in McDonalds. Standard UCD commerce back when we were that age was around 300 points (all Cs) and is now 555 points (mixture of As and Bs).

Comment

The problem now is everyone gets a prize. So many getting top marks that top mark courses fill up and students are cut based on random selection. Business with IT in Trinity while requiring a full 625 points is oversubscribed so they have to cut randomly.

In reality the top 50% of H1s (90-100) in math for example should have gotten a H1. The rest should have been downgraded to H2 to match the usual distribution of marks. The problem is obviously a result of Accredited Grades due to Covid where teachers were assigning marks to students where no exam was sat.

Results coalescing at the top of the scale makes it impossible to discriminate effectively any more based on ability.
                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

The problem now is everyone gets a prize. So many getting top marks that top mark courses fill up and students are cut based on random selection. Business with IT in Trinity while requiring a full 625 points is oversubscribed so they have to cut randomly.

In reality the top 50% of H1s (90-100) in math for example should have gotten a H1. The rest should have been downgraded to H2 to match the usual distribution of marks. The problem is obviously a result of Accredited Grades due to Covid where teachers were assigning marks to students where no exam was sat.

Results coalescing at the top of the scale makes it impossible to discriminate effectively any more based on ability.
                      I'd say teachers are better able to gauge true ability compared to a single exam at the end of a two-year teaching period.

The question to ask is maybe whether any of those students on 625 points shouldn't be eligible for Business with IT in Trinity, and I'd imagine the answer there is no, they would all be perfect for the course - in which case, random selection it needs to be.

Comment

These are not difficult courses. They're just ordinary standard undergrad fare, bog-standard business. It might even be fairer to say that anyone over 500 points, or maybe 400 points, can enter a draw for a place, rather than restricting the draw to just those who got 625 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its just a connection issue with solar, no? Isn't it that the likes of Morocco with their endless deserts could power the world once we get the right transmission lines in place? I haven't hugely looked into it tbh, only the Irish renewable scene, so that might be an exaggeration. But Ireland has, what for our purposes can be viewed as, unlimited renewable energy once we choose to unlock it. Actually my secret, un-calculated belief, is that we should borrow maybe €50bn to invest in offshore wind energy and then that will be a resource for decades to come that we can sell to the continent. Making a fortune on our investment.
                          The issue with solar is real estate.
                          If you cover your roof in solar panels, you’d go a long way toward your needs, but probably not cover it (certainly not with the car). Soar on apartments in Ireland is barely any point. We’re installing a large array on the roof of our building, will help with higher sun energy here but still limited by volume to area.

Morocco or where event could possibly build an array that would power a large part of the world. But we’d be paying them a subscription fee, and rent for the cable in every country from A to B.

If you produce an offshore hydro or wind farm by magic. Then it’s great. But when you factor in that your in the hole for billions and years before you realise any benefit.It’s less attractive

Comment

Our NFT journey is reaching new highs with a potentially disastrous appearance due to happen next week on a show with a guy called Ray.
                            there was a monster shitshow last night with the sevens NFT dropping
                            One guy did dodgy coding or something and minted a thousand all for himself out of 7777 minted. Think he paid 5ETH for the gas (which went insane last night), but the floor price was 1.5 each so if he sells them he's laughing. They was chaos over it.

That's besides the floor dropping out of a lot of crypto yesterday afternoon.

I think when someone pays 5ETH for an invisible NFT rock, all bets are off on figuring out this market
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                              Booked myself in for an hour long session in a floatation tank this afternoon. No idea but figure i've spent my money in worse spots.
                              Where is it? I went to the place off Fitzwilliam Square and it was literally like floating in a vat of urine. Smell was absolutely vile. I had been looking forward to it for ages, and would love to do a session, just not with the stench of piss in my nostrils.

Comment

If you produce an offshore hydro or wind farm by magic. Then it’s great. But when you factor in that your in the hole for billions and years before you realise any benefit.It’s less attractive
                                I think thats just a feature of long-term investment - that it takes a long time to get your money back. But I'd imagine the return is vastly more than the cost of borrowing (0% for a state actor). Probably a decent 10-15% NPV, equating to a similar return after cost of borrowing. A forward thinking government could end up generating a continuous multi-billion income stream. Very hard to mess it up also given the tiny level of manpower involved and the upcoming Celtic Interconnector and massive future demand for electricity through cars.

Comment

These are not difficult courses. They're just ordinary standard undergrad fare, bog-standard business. It might even be fairer to say that anyone over 500 points, or maybe 400 points, can enter a draw for a place, rather than restricting the draw to just those who got 625 points.
                                  Yeah problem is points for courses are based on popularity not difficulty or even suitability. My top cao courses were Electronic & Computer engineering then medicine and law. My course was 300 points so was a breeze to get into, the others were essentially double that. I think 2 or 3 of us were able to graduate from the original class in first year. You can't just swing your way into electromagnetic theory even if the course isn't many points while I could train my cat to do accounting or business.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Yeah problem is points for courses are based on popularity not difficulty or even suitability. My top cao courses were Electronic & Computer engineering then medicine and law. My course was 300 points so was a breeze to get into, the others were essentially double that. I think 2 or 3 of us were able to graduate from the original class in first year. You can't just swing your way into electromagnetic theory even if the course isn't many points while I could train my cat to do accounting or business.
                                    Yes! It really is madness. Zuut teaching people about graphene production who managed to scrap together a few hundred sympathy points and the business schools of the world filled with people who should be scientists but who will instead learn how to send out funny tweets in digital marketing.

Comment

Must go up for a look at these Howthy Goatys

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

there was a monster shitshow last night with the sevens NFT dropping
                                        One guy did dodgy coding or something and minted a thousand all for himself out of 7777 minted. Think he paid 5ETH for the gas (which went insane last night), but the floor price was 1.5 each so if he sells them he's laughing. They was chaos over it.

That's besides the floor dropping out of a lot of crypto yesterday afternoon.

I think when someone pays 5ETH for an invisible NFT rock, all bets are off on figuring out this market
                                        I approve this message

Comment

Yes! It really is madness. Zuut teaching people about graphene production who managed to scrap together a few hundred sympathy points and the business schools of the world filled with people who should be scientists but who will instead learn how to send out funny tweets in digital marketing.
                                          Yeah spent 3 years studying Business and the sum of my learning was to be able to source the cheapest pint on every night of the week in Dundalk, how to dodge the Provos and the odd incendary device that would randomly light up a premises and always back Trap 1 if its raining and he's the heaviest dog. Alas no such thing as twitter or even the internet back then.

Comment

How was the golf Solks?

Comment

I think thats just a feature of long-term investment - that it takes a long time to get your money back. But I'd imagine the return is vastly more than the cost of borrowing (0% for a state actor). Probably a decent 10-15% NPV, equating to a similar return after cost of borrowing. A forward thinking government could end up generating a continuous multi-billion income stream. Very hard to mess it up also given the tiny level of manpower involved and the upcoming Celtic Interconnector and massive future demand for electricity through cars.
                                              The issue is that is a massive investment, to provide a supply for which there is already sufficient provision.

Current supply is about 10% more than demand.
                                              So a mega-station off the cost puts the capacity over 200%. Having the capacity doesn’t generate demand or income out of thin air as 10% export is our current limit.
                                              Plus the majority of electric cars are charged at night. Which doesn’t increase peak supply. (Data centres will do that though).

It feel like a better strategy to me to add smaller starvations to replace older one incrementally while increasing connection to continental grid.

Comment

Nice course Horatio. Got roasted out of it. Played poor but I'm no man for the heat . I know the trees more than the fairway. Lost 3 balls . Some fking heat .
                                                For Horatio .

Comment

Hilarious watching some of the hospitality industry venues unable to open or operating on reduced hours due to treating their staff worse than dogs- where I am it’s the the mouths who are always looking for airtime to whinge getting hit the worst- fuck them
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The issue is that is a massive investment, to provide a supply for which there is already sufficient provision.

Current supply is about 10% more than demand.
                                                    So a mega-station off the cost puts the capacity over 200%. Having the capacity doesn’t generate demand or income out of thin air as 10% export is our current limit.
                                                    Plus the majority of electric cars are charged at night. Which doesn’t increase peak supply. (Data centres will do that though).

It feel like a better strategy to me to add smaller starvations to replace older one incrementally while increasing connection to continental grid.
                                                    Well things that are planned now will probably only come on stream in 5, 6, 7 years, when we will have the avalanche of cars connected to the grid. The problem is the growth rate of electric cars looking for a connection might happen a lot quicker. Plus there are potential data centers being held back by lack of supply.

Comment

Costs of electric and petrol cars are going to be similar very soon, there's just no chance that everyone won't switch to electric then as the running cost is unbeatable.

Comment

Well things that are planned now will probably only come on stream in 5, 6, 7 years, when we will have the avalanche of cars connected to the grid. The problem is the growth rate of electric cars looking for a connection might happen a lot quicker. Plus there are potential data centers being held back by lack of supply.
                                                        It’s a complete fantasy to think that we can keep growing our energy usage while at the same time greening the grid. It’s going to start to bite sooner or later
                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Make Nuclear Green Again

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

It’s a complete fantasy to think that we can keep growing our energy usage while at the same time greening the grid. It’s going to start to bite sooner or later
                                                            I don't think that is the fantasy, or a fantasy, in a small country.

Comment

So is bitcoin an enemy to green cars ? mining etc

Comment

Apparently our capacity growth is (approximately, there's some overlap between the two sources) the first source of power - basic, largely non-renewable capacity - which is expected to remain static or fall a small bit, plus the second source of power - renewables - with big planned growth.

Core, mainly non-renewable

FDNnsmsl.jpg

Renewables

mZMGYQH.png

Thats not bad, I guess? Big growth allowed for, but all for renewables, and I guess gas will eventually become the fallback source rather than the default when we have enough diversity in renewable sources, or the Celtic Connector allows importing of nuclear from France and exporting of wind energy.

Comment

that's some offshore jump in 2026! Is there a specific project coming online then?

Comment

that's some offshore jump in 2026! Is there a specific project coming online then?
                                                                    That, my friend, is the Norwegian trillion dollar big bucks turning its beady eyes towards our precious Irish wind. At least, I think so. Think its some big Norwegian financed scheme.

Comment

I think its timed for 2026 because that's when the Celtic Interconnector is planned to open.

Comment

That, my friend, is the Norwegian trillion dollar big bucks turning its beady eyes towards our precious Irish wind. At least, I think so. Think its some big Norwegian financed scheme.
                                                                        yeah, but we can actually say 'ah yes, that would be the massive turbine farm off the coast of Inish MickeyMouse' or whatever? Or is it likely a number of schemes coming online together?

Comment

There was a lot of talk about tidal a few years back.

Clearly just got binned as a viable form of energy?

Comment

We could probably realistically get up towards 40,000-50,000 mw from offshore wind, if just the first few schemes are adding that much capacity. A whopping three times total electricity use in the country. To put this admittedly plucked from the air figure in context, total French electricity capacity in 135,000 MW. Its a proper national asset, although I'm not sure we're actually thinking of it like that. We're handing out the wind like its free.

Comment

There are some great details here: https://www.electricitymap.org/zone/IE

We do really bad when it comes to carbon.

Capture.JPG

Attached Files

Comment

The problem is the growth rate of electric cars looking for a connection might happen a lot quicker. Plus there are potential data centers being held back by lack of supply.
                                                                                Have you data that suggests electric cars cars are going to impact demand. I can’t see it being significant given night charging.

Apparently our capacity growth is (approximately, there's some overlap between the two sources) the first source of power - basic, largely non-renewable capacity - which is expected to remain static or fall a small bit, plus the second source of power - renewables - with big planned growth.

Core, mainly non-renewable

FDNnsmsl.jpg

Renewables

mZMGYQH.png

Thats not bad, I guess? Big growth allowed for, but all for renewables, and I guess gas will eventually become the fallback source rather than the default when we have enough diversity in renewable sources, or the Celtic Connector allows importing of nuclear from France and exporting of wind energy.
                                                                                Those tables don’t match your proposal though. It’s pretty much what I suggested. Phasing out older peat and oil stations with smaller renewables stations. Newer gas stations are staying at the top. And a better continental grid connection, wasn’t aware of the celtic interconnector, assume that’s basically it.

Also important to note that the tables are max capacity, not supply. The fossil fuel power can supply close to its capacity. But wind is obviously limited by the wind blowing. Wiki suggests current on shore wind runs at 34%. So to replace 6MW of gas, they’d need wind to be maybe almost triple the 2029 number. Or 22-24MW
                                                                                Maybe by 2050.

Comment

This year's budget will be an interesting one in terms of signalling whether this Green-tinged government is actually serious about climate change strategy. Obviously they got a pass last year.

My bet; no Irish politician has the balls to go big as the electorate would crucify them for it.

Comment

Seems to be a steady 700MW per year 2026-2029. Probably a series of offshore farms. ESB joint venture with Norweigns??

Comment

Seems to be a steady 700MW per year 2026-2029. Probably a series of offshore farms. ESB joint venture with Norweigns??
                                                                                      yeah, per the HH post. I was just wondering if there was any concrete locations\plans to back that up...

Comment

Wind plus one of those nice Tesla giga battery thingies be nice.
                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sounds like a lot of hand wavy prospectus talk from hitch tbh, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong but would assume that it’s going to be a bumpy ride ahead when the dream doesn’t March reality

Comment

On the other hand I’d be happy to hop on the China train with him, swooning at the measures they are introducing this week- being reported as a bad thing in western media for some reason
                                                                                            https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

selection of the best stuff below- all makes sense especially the online gaming stuff. All stuff that’s badly needed in western countries too but not a chance anyone has the balls.

the entertainment industry must consciously abandon vulgar and kitsch inferior tastes, and consciously oppose the decadent ideas of money worship, hedonism, and extreme individualism”.

recent weeks, the authorities have banned some reality shows, restricted social media fan culture, and They have also targeted what they deem to be “vulgar influencers”, stars’ inflated pay and performers with “lapsed morals”.- yes yes yes

The tech industry, including leading business people such as Jack Ma, has faced waves of regulatory changes and investigations. Online gaming has been strictly curtailed, in the name of protecting children, and social media companies have been ordered to “rectify chaos” in celebrity fandom -

imagine the wasted human potential and carbon savings we could realise in this country if spoiled little shits couldn’t play FIFA and fortnite- might end up with a better Men’s International football team as a bonus
                                                                                            Last edited by MysteryGuest; 08-09-21, 17:03.

Comment

Try to imagine an Irish minister who would do the same

on the other hand could be a creative cover story given the country

Comment

This year's budget will be an interesting one in terms of signalling whether this Green-tinged government is actually serious about climate change strategy. Obviously they got a pass last year.

My bet; no Irish politician has the balls to go big as the electorate would crucify them for it.
                                                                                                That’s not a uniquely Irish issue

Comment

That’s not a uniquely Irish issue
                                                                                                  Neither is the undersupply of sustainables to charge cars.

Doesn't seem likely that democracy is compatible with getting the shit that needs to be done done.
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1701920&d=1631133713&type=thumb
                                                                                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Neither is the undersupply of sustainables to charge cars.

Doesn't seem likely that democracy is compatible with getting the shit that needs to be done done.
                                                                                                      Are we all just getting to the stage of accepting our Chinese overlords. Hope we'll be exceptional a bit longer than Hong Kong
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

​​​​​ Globally it's all about nuclear (uranium is the current meme stock)

Wind turbines are landfill after 20 years.

And it takes years and billions to do interconnectors. Plus wind has to be constrained frequently.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-09-21, 22:38.

Comment

Ate in Taza tonight. A spectacular food experience. Had the sharing platter for starter and just *wow*. Biryiani for main course, as the sign of a truly great Pakistani restaurant and it didn't disappoint, but would give a different main a go the next time. That onion bajji was a thing of glory. Where you see exactly why onion bajji is a dish. wowsers. TripAdvisor currently has them ranked as 6th in Dublin, but not sure if TripAdvisor rankings mean much anymore as its all about the Google Stars now, but its definitely way way way up there. These guys really fucking know what they are doing. €77 for the two of us, before tip, including a bottle of non-alcohol beer each, so not cheap, but not LaoLao expensive either.

Comment

yeah, per the HH post. I was just wondering if there was any concrete locations\plans to back that up...
                                                                                                            East coast location is off the coast of Skerries/Ballbriggan/Bettystown. Images here https://2021.macroworks.ie/

Similar in Cork
                                                                                                            https://inisealgamarineenergypark.co...e-energy-park/
                                                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 09-09-21, 01:34.

Comment

East coast location is off the coast of Skerries/Ballbriggan/Bettystown. Images here https://2021.macroworks.ie/

Similar in Cork
                                                                                                              https://inisealgamarineenergypark.co...e-energy-park/
                                                                                                              They should build a big array directly off coast of Sandy mount- or possibly in Sandymount as it will be underwater in a few decades anyway

Comment

They should build a big array directly off coast of Sandy mount- or possibly in Sandymount as it will be underwater in a few decades anyway
                                                                                                                Wouldn't have pegged you as one of them global warming scaremongers

Comment

Wouldn't have pegged you as you of them global warming scaremongers
                                                                                                                  Wouldn’t have you pegged as a denier
                                                                                                                  sea level rise and more flooding is baked in even if we do all the stuff IPCC says we should do by 2050 (we won’t)

Comment

Really sad to see Arsene Wenger shilling this awful idea for FIFA

Comment

Why is it an awful Idea? I know you're not going to be happy with the greedy pigs that profit from it but WC with 48 teams every two years would be great. Plenty of different nations to join the party every couple of years. Some surprises and some chance to show off pure dominance if it's there.

Not sure why it's more romantic to keep an idea that's nearly 100 years old.

Comment

Wouldn’t have you pegged as a denier
                                                                                                                        sea level rise and more flooding is baked in even if we do all the stuff IPCC says we should do by 2050 (we won’t)
                                                                                                                        Are they the only options, deny or scaremonger?
                                                                                                                        Extremist views are rarely correct. So an argument that's reduced to polarized extremist views, is quite likely to be wrong on both sides.
                                                                                                                        Maybe, there's a sensible middle ground. That's where I'd like to be.

Comment

The trailer for the new Matrix movie is about to go live here:

Not sure how I feel about it. I re-watched the trailer for the original movie a few minutes ago and it gave me goosebumps. It was such an incredible movie for me as a teen.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X