This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Not much you can do, but Trump will probably make a massive deal of it next year like he did with something in Libya.
    Bit hard to do that given he was the one who set the withdrawal course and got the hardcore Taliban fighters out of jail.

Of course the apes who watch Fox probably don't appreciate such subtleties.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

10000s of thousands at the gates of the airport no screening or security at all. Think Biden has got an easy ride on this one imagine Trump was still president and this was happening he would be called every derogatory name under the sun but sleepy joe is a great lad. I don’t know what they could have done in the eyes of ordinary Americans evough service men and women have been killed or maimed.
      The US military are the ones doing the screening.

It's not entirely fair but clearly Biden has to take the political fallout.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Was in Fire today. The steak there is far superior to FXB.
        Fire always reminds me of a hangover of the worst of the "Celtic Tiger" type restaurants

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

It's a losing battle
          ive given up . No point , people have their own precious minds made up

Reminds me of the old time racist Engerlish joke where a PADDY was captured by a tribe in Africa who told him his skin would be used to make a canoe after they'd eaten him . He starts stabbing himself. Nobody's making a canoe out of me.
          Dont know why either side bothers arguing with the other at this stage. People are going to do what they want to do. Some randomer isnt going to change their minds.

Should be added to the pub banned list alongside Politics and Religion, although plenty will now tell you how to vote aswell.
          Last edited by Dice75; 26-08-21, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Dont know why either side bothers arguing with the other at this stage. People are going to do what they want to do. Some randomer isnt going to change their minds.

Should be added to the pub banned list alongside Politics and Religion, although plenty will now tell you how to vote aswell.
            I feel that's what happens in too many countries, like the UK, people just letting people be gobshites. While you are often doing a society a favour by questionning them. These people are a fucking virus, they need to be knocked back. Or else they'll keep on growing until they elect a Trump.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Boosters are only for immunity from infection with Delta variant, which appears to wane faster depending on the time between 1st and 2nd doses. Protection against hospitalisation is still steady at ~95% for Pfizer/Moderna/AZ. Given the situation with variants and the 3rd world we'd be mad to waste doses on boosters for anyone who isn't immunocompromised. Best strat right now is to give up on prevention and just let Covid go endemic. This means we're all going to get it, only a matter of time.

GL to those who aren't planning to get vaxed. Reminder of the common symptom list for people who are vaccinated but still got a breakthrough infection:
              • Runny nose, sneezing
              • Mild headache
              • Loss of smell or taste
              • Mild fatigue
              • Typically lasting 2-5 days

Compare to common symptom list for unvaccinated:
              • Fever
              • Headache
              • Loss of smell or taste
              • Fatigue
              • Aches and pains
              • Difficulty breathing
              • Typically lasting 1-3 weeks
              • ~10% of patients experiencing symptoms lasting 6 weeks or more (running definition of long covid)

Contrast with common symptom list for vaccination:
              • Pain at injection site
              • Fatigue typically lasting 48 hours (2nd dose)

Happy to correct the above if I've missed anything, can provide citations if anyone wants to be anal about it. Understand I'm mostly preaching to the choir here but if anyone's still on the fence, it seems like a massive no-brainer to me.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Strange first time checking in here in around 10 days as on retreat in the most beautiful and profound place in France.

Literally wrote this a few hours ago. Coincidence.

Anywho, enjoy. Very rough draft.

I have always felt poetry simply presents.
                Appearing as a manifestation of the divine, a snap shot of truth whispering in eternity.
                Glimpses of Nirvana itself.

This one was different.
                It hid.
                Disappeared and dissolved.
                Transcended its body to become light.
                Transparent.

Real Magic.

Just like the mosquito that came to live in my room.
                I promised him; if you should ever meet death it shall be when you are fat and old.

And fat he became.
                So fat his miraculous mosquito wings could barely carry him.
                Sustained by midnight feast after midnight feast.
                Undisturbed in his gorging.

Yet, he remained suspicious. Aloof, never to meet me with trust.
                He escaped cups and glasses, and all manner of circular objects.
                Time itself perhaps.

Until one day I met him,
                in the full light of his sentience.
                Life force.
                He was scared.
                That was all.

He had ever reason to be.
                Two days later, awaking from somewhere other than the bed of awareness I kissed his cheek in return for 40 pieces of sleep.
                Extinguished, just like that.

Returning me to a sleep, I remain desperate to wake up from.

Comment

Fire always reminds me of a hangover of the worst of the "Celtic Tiger" type restaurants
                  You are probably right but the quality of the food there is undeniable TBF.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                    iPO in October & European Open in February being tentatively announced as happening.

Passes acquired from she who must be obeyed.
                    Excited.
                    Really? That is great.. found myself missing live poker so much that I am thinking of going to Slovakia for a game in September.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I feel that's what happens in too many countries, like the UK, people just letting people be gobshites. While you are often doing a society a favour by questionning them. These people are a fucking virus, they need to be knocked back. Or else they'll keep on growing until they elect a Trump.
                      Until?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The US military are the ones doing the screening.

It's not entirely fair but clearly Biden has to take the political fallout.
                        Oops thought was a kind of free for all. But to get near the crowds that many people packed together a few pounds of explosives would do horrible damage as it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yeah this. Why can't we just trust experts anymore?

Fucking Facebook.
                          I agree trust every expert no matter what do you blindly trust every builder estate agent solicitor all experts in there chosen fields ? It’s all facebooks fault if people have different opinions on things Jesus all that jogging might be damaging your brain as well as your joints.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                            Strange first time checking in here in around 10 days as on retreat in the most beautiful and profound place in France.

Appearing as a manifestation of the divine, a snap shot of truth whispering in eternity.

This one was different.
                            It hid.
                            Transparent.

Real Magic.

I promised him; if you should ever meet death it shall be when you are fat and old.

And fat he became.

Time itself perhaps.

Until one day I met him,
                            Life force.
                            He was scared.
                            That was all.

Two days later, awaking from somewhere other than the bed of awareness I kissed his cheek in return for 40 pieces of sleep.

That's marvellous.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I agree trust every expert no matter what do you blindly trust every builder estate agent solicitor all experts in there chosen fields ? It’s all facebooks fault if people have different opinions on things Jesus all that jogging might be damaging your brain as well as your joints.
                              If a builder said I needed an RSJ I wouldn't say no it's my gaff my choice.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

You are probably right but the quality of the food there is undeniable TBF.
                                My current list of places I'll never return to is Fire, that's it, that's the list. A lovely room but the food and service was absolutely shocking. Either they have upped their game massively since I was in or you haven't been to FXB recently. I've never felt robbed leaving a restaurant but paying the bill in Fire left a sting.

I got the steak when I was in and saying its better than FXB is some statement to make. It was so bad I didnt even finish it, i just couldnt wait to get out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

My current list of places I'll never return to is Fire, that's it, that's the list. A lovely room but the food and service was absolutely shocking. Either they have upped their game massively since I was in or you haven't been to FXB recently. I've never felt robbed leaving a restaurant but paying the bill in Fire left a sting.

I got the steak when I was in and saying its better than FXB is some statement to make. It was so bad I didnt even finish it, i just couldnt wait to get out of there.
                                  Yeah I feel the same about Fire. Overpriced and service was never good. My Mrs family always seemed to book dinners there for about a 5 year period. Haven’t been in a good few years in fairness but wouldn’t go back now. (So many great places to eat in the city)

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Besutiful weather down here in Ballyconneely lads

Enjoyed that poem JBravado

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yeah this. Why can't we just trust experts anymore?

Fucking Facebook.
                                      Why ask an expert when you rely on a janitor?

Comment

Good poem all right Sam. WB YATES Wandering Angus came to my mind .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                          I was going for a walk on the beach last night in meditative mood, and was reflecting on the the conversations people were having as they passed. Not the details of them, but just the fact of the seemingly unceasing compulsion people have to talk. Why is this? Is it just an extension of thinking which then turns into talking when with others? It seemed rather ridiculous to me, but then I was in a particularly insufferable meditative space.

You could extrapolate that into writing eg Twitter etc

I am a lover of accents. Some culchie females talk and I just melt. Sarah Mcinearney for example . Not that interested in what they say but love hearing it. I was at a meeting once and the Mayo girls accent had me transfixed. Keep talking girl.

Comment

The curse of 'bothsidesism'. e.g. a debate between a normal person and a QAnon adherent. Or the Taliban and the EU.

As you say, sometimes there isn't two equally valid sides and people, especially the media, shouldn't represent that there are. Unfortunately the internet amplifies the nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              Some culchie females talk and I just melt. Sarah Mcinearney for example . Not that interested in what they say but love hearing it.
                                              Really

Asides from her being a pisspoor 'journalist' (above average by the current standards in RTE) her whiney 'I talka da baba talk' voice has me reaching for the magic Lyric FM button everytime.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

This one was different.
                                                It hid.
                                                Transparent.

Real Magic.

And fat he became.

Time itself perhaps.

Until one day I met him,
                                                Life force.
                                                He was scared.
                                                That was all.

That's marvellous.

Them drugs do work

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Really

Asides from her being a pisspoor 'journalist' (above average by the current standards in RTE) her whiney 'I talka da baba talk' voice has me reaching for the magic Lyric FM button everytime.
                                                  Yep . Really. Nor is she pisspoor. Get offa my cloud

Comment

Is there a good accrobranche (I refuse to believe the English translation is 'tree climbing' in English), park in Dublin. Where you climb between trees using what seems like rock climbing equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                      Besutiful weather down here in Ballyconneely lads

Enjoyed that poem JBravado
                                                      Make sure you hit up Dogs Bay and Gurteen if the weather is good and/or head to Manin - All lovely spots and the water is a nice temperature at the minute.

Comment

Is there a good accrobranche (I refuse to believe the English translation is 'tree climbing' in English), park in Dublin. Where you climb between trees using what seems like rock climbing equipment.
                                                        go ape seem to have the monopoly in the UK, looks like it's zip it in Dublin https://www.zipit.ie/ or https://skypark.ie/aerial-courses/

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

go ape seem to have the monopoly in the UK, looks like it's zip it in Dublin https://www.zipit.ie/ or https://skypark.ie/aerial-courses/
                                                          It's discrimination Joe! What do you mean I have to be under 120kg. It's practically apartheid
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

ohhh skypark actually looks very decent. Zipit seems to be suggesting you need to be aged 8 to get up on their wires. Thanks!

Comment

ohhh skypark actually looks very decent. Zipit seems to be suggesting you need to be aged 8 to get up on their wires. Thanks!
                                                              It' 7 and above.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It' 7 and above.
                                                                oh yeah. Not sure a just-about-6-year-old would be able to bluff their way in

Comment

oh yeah. Not sure a just-about-6-year-old would be able to bluff their way in
                                                                  It also says over 1m in height. Think you'd want to be well over that to bluff it.

Comment

allright, so its new-low time, and I'm trying to choose a better haircut.

Thinking some version of a fade, which if I'm getting it right, is a slightly more pronounced short-back-and-sides.

aOpvOEkl.jpg

Or a 'loose pompadour'.

hTk2PXwl.jpg

My doubt on the fade is whether its for a younger person, while the doubt for the loose pompadour is the daily effort required.

Comment

allright, so its new-low time, and I'm trying to choose a better haircut.
                                                                      Just make sure you find out from Lao Lao where to get the best rub of titties.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Asador around the corner or Saba on Baggot Street
                                                                        asador on the short list
                                                                        We got Saba in kildare village not too long ago.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Asador really is one of the finest restaurants. DP would do well to get a spot there for Saturday i would think!
                                                                          actually for tonight
                                                                          Is it that good? I'm way out of the restaurant game. No idea what is a good place or not when one of the current things I look for is plastic glasses for kids

edit:
                                                                          Sorry, Asador has no booking slots available for your time and number of people, nor within 3 hours either side of your requested time.
                                                                          lol, snooty responses from a website, felt like it was smirking at my request
                                                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 27-08-21, 10:57.
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

actually for tonight
                                                                            Is it that good? I'm way out of the restaurant game. No idea what is a good place or not when one of the current things I look for is plastic glasses for kids
                                                                            It is good (far from Chapter 1 good) but nice setting and good food. Nice outside area too.
                                                                            Re Saba -this Baggot Street branch is a really nice setting with a good vibe

Comment

If I get a better laugh than Hitch posting the kind of pics you see in a Turkish barbers and thinking about how his hair should look this week I'll be doing well. Proper LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

FX Buckley's on Pembroke St and The Old Spot on Bath Ave aren't a million miles away - Decent boozers close by for a pre/post tipple as well.
                                                                                Opinions on Matt the thresers?
                                                                                Have never been (been to both above)

Comment

Been living on a mainly tomato diet for weeks now and it's just bliss
                                                                                  SPOILER

Made the most perfect pizza sauce last night

Loads of homegrown tomatoes chopped up finely. I've like five different varieties here but the more the San Marzano ones the better
                                                                                  add loads of herbs a bit of salt and a splash of olive oil and thats it, nothing else after a while squeeze off the excess juice and put it on your pizza

How am I ever going to stop being a fat bastard when I can rustle up shit this good in a few minutes?

SPOILER

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 27-08-21, 11:27.

Comment

Looks good sp!

BBQing/pizza'ing for 25 tomorrow, will have to channel that although your sauce is a lot chunkier than I would like.

Comment

Opinions on Matt the thresers?
                                                                                      Have never been (been to both above)

I've never eaten in Matt The Thresers so not sure what it is like - Pretty sure Bourdain had oysters and a pint of Guinness there on one of his layover/36 hours in shows and he loved them but that was early morning

Comment

Looks great, SP. Really great.

Comment

I like Matt the Thresher. Been there plenty. Their specials usually get selected.

Seafood joint though. If either of you are picky at all the seafood don't bother.

Comment

Booked.
                                                                                            Herself was in the mood for seafood.
                                                                                            I'm not picky in the slightest.

Review will follow in due course

Comment

Booked asador for a few weeks time on the back of here. That menu looks ridiculously tasty. Kinda running out of people to finangle into lunch, so if we do manage to start a bbv lunch club then count me in. I'll bring the style with my new fade.

Comment

I find it amazing being honest that people willingly accept that we have to keep getting injected with an experimental vaccine. I got my two jabs pzizer not been sick since 2003 had a viral thing roaring temp missed the Christmas dinner.
                                                                                                You had a vital thing after the jab?

How many boosters are needed any other vaccine is a one off finito. If I don’t get a booster do I then get relegated into the division of unvaccinated.
                                                                                                Most vaccines are one and done. But the vast majority of them are temporary. I’d guess the most common vaccine is the flu shot. Only good until next season.

The is the problem with covid. People have their mind made up, then find something that sounds sophisticated enough to them to pass off as science and fact.

Adverse reactions exist. But statistically much less common that a covid death. So somebody citing that as a reason for not getting it has a very loose application of science. More likely that they are just it getting it and finding justification in their head.

Comment

Booked.
                                                                                                  Herself was in the mood for seafood.
                                                                                                  I'm not picky in the slightest.

Review will follow in due course
                                                                                                  I always find the food good, the seafood linguine is very good if none of the specials suit. Service can be hit and miss.
                                                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It also says over 1m in height. Think you'd want to be well over that to bluff it.
                                                                                                    A three year old could be 1m without being a freak. A six year old would have a significant height problem if they weren't 1m! Its a strange height restriction.

Comment

Hmmm, young lad starting football tonight so emailed to confirm a few details and offered a hand with anything needing doing.

Reply I got was "Thanks we'll allocate you a Sunday team" - what does that mean It sounds ominous....

Comment

Hmmm, young lad starting football tonight so emailed to confirm a few details and offered a hand with anything needing doing.

Reply I got was "Thanks we'll allocate you a Sunday team" - what does that mean It sounds ominous....
                                                                                                        That’s you fully roped in
                                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Lol. That means you are now the coach of the Sunday team for the year. Unlucky/well played but I get the feeling its unlucky

Never say anything like that in email. Sports clubs are so stretched you'll get nailed straight away. I help out the club here the odd time with the under 6s and 7s and what I see parents doing is saying they can stay to help for the hour instead of being committed to every single Saturday morning. Mostly they just drop and go but every few weeks they stay to help. That's what you need to do but as it is, sounds like you're a coach now

Comment

The players play and the coaches coach.
                                                                                                            But no junior Sunday team can survive without a dogsbody.
                                                                                                            Responsibilities will include but not be limited to perching the smallest member of the team on your shoulder to put up the nets, filling in the team sheet for the ref using a stubby pencil whilst gale force wind and rain pound at you, and picking up mucky jerseys and shorts off the floor of the dressing room post match.
                                                                                                            Sounds like you've been nominated for this little-appreciated role.

Comment

If you don't want to or don't have free time for helping out, then stay as far away as possible and have the excuses well prepared. I was one of the coaches for an underage hurling team and also secretary a few years back. Doing one job was enough but two is tough going. I was still playing senior at the time so I barely had an evening free in the middle of the season. They try to rope the Dads in with a "can you come early to a session?" and "put out a few cones" or even "fill the water". It's all downhill after this and you'll be doing a tactics board in a few weeks .

Parking that for a moment, I did really enjoy the coaching side of it and found it very rewarding. I eventually ended up playing senior for a couple of years with some of the lads I coached. I even marked one of those kids in a junior match (from a different club as it was an amalgamation I coached on). The fucker was determined to burst me with the hurley. He was taught well .

Comment

Fucking Scandies. Had a flight booking with SAS to Copenhagen for the family at 12.40pm on a Friday i.e. the perfect time to arrive and they've now changed it to 8.15pm, meaning we won't arrive until after midnight (not ideal with kids).

FFS!

Comment

Better prepare myself for later so. "Why yes i'd love to help out. Whats that you say, manage a team? Oh I'd love to but am away every second weekend with work, such a pity". (and half true tbf)
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 27-08-21, 13:49.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                    Mellor I was asking about your ethical opinions, not whether people have a hierarchy or not of valuing creatures. They do, and it tells you nothing about the reasons that they do.
                                                                                                                    Which ethical is opinions were you asking about?
                                                                                                                    As my original post was entirely a counter to the ideal that all creatures are equal, and/or that’s it’s equally bad to cause their death. That view, is entirely at odds with any hierarchy. I’m not claiming to know people’s motives or justifications for their hierarchy, just that it’s existence proves my point.

Why do you think it's okay to kill some creatures and not others? I'm asking an ethical question, not wondering if you or others do or don't hold that view.
                                                                                                                    In short, because some creatures are “worth” more than others. That worth is based on a value that we all assign, consciously or subconsciously.
                                                                                                                    That only one aspect of course, not a case of a white and black lists. Reason, circumstance, etc.

When you say that creatures have different innate values of existence, what does that mean? If the sense of the value of their existence resides in a human mind, then in what way is it innate to the creature itself?
                                                                                                                    I was referencing the fact we assign the value to a species, or groups of species, as a characteristic of that species. Present by virtue of its existence. It’s innate in the sense that it’s is an inborn value.

Maybe we should say a perceived innate value and it exists only in our minds. But many things exist only in our perception.

I mentioned complexity as I imagined you might think that the quality of life a more complex being could have would make an ethical difference to depriving them of that life. To quote John Stuart Mill:
                                                                                                                    Well, no I don’t, as I don’t see a parallel with complexity.

But maybe you should define what you mean my complexity. As I said above, there are creatures far more genetically and biologically choked than humans, than lack any worth outside of their study.

I find find your quote interesting. Again seems by complexity you mean intelligence. Do you think intelligent people are worth more? In the sense of perceived worth automatically afforded by their existence. Quite an archaic view imo.

But if you really did just mean that bigger animals are more worthy of living absent their emotional, intellectual, and social complexity then why do you hold that view?
                                                                                                                    I didn’t say that was my view. I said that seems to be the view that people hold. When I think I of creatures that people appear to value, I can’t help but notice the correlation to size.

Your own example, an elephant and a fly. I’d hazard a guess you’d value a horse over a spider, or a whale over a shrimp.I’m sure there are other factors, but size
                                                                                                                    seams to be one. Not the only one.

My own view would be a combination of multiple factors.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 27-08-21, 14:08.

Comment

Ryanair to the rescue with their 11.55am flight.

Had to waste 30mins on the phone to SAS who seemed to think I should pay them €150 for the privilege of cancelling a flight they had moved by 8 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Been living on a mainly tomato diet for weeks now and it's just bliss
                                                                                                                        SPOILER

Made the most perfect pizza sauce last night

Loads of homegrown tomatoes chopped up finely. I've like five different varieties here but the more the San Marzano ones the better
                                                                                                                        add loads of herbs a bit of salt and a splash of olive oil and thats it, nothing else after a while squeeze off the excess juice and put it on your pizza

How am I ever going to stop being a fat bastard when I can rustle up shit this good in a few minutes?

SPOILER

Beats the poxy haircut pics anyhow

Comment

Booked asador for a few weeks time on the back of here. That menu looks ridiculously tasty. Kinda running out of people to finangle into lunch, so if we do manage to start a bbv lunch club then count me in. I'll bring the style with my new fade.
                                                                                                                          I'd go with that too

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X