X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've lost a Rolling Stone .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its completely indistinguishable from the traditional stuff. The worlds best scientists, recruited away from curing cancer in order to make a drink, have outdone themselves in Guinness Inc. Very drinkable, which is often where the 0.0s fall down. Like I could enjoyably keep up with CC and his 'real' pints of the same.
      Is it really indistinguishable though? I wouldn't be too sure. Most of these "0.0" beers, while fairly authentic tasting are generally discernible as "fake" to the distinguished alcoholic drinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Is it really indistinguishable though? I wouldn't be too sure. Most of these "0.0" beers, while fairly authentic tasting are generally discernible as "fake" to the distinguished alcoholic drinker.
        I bought one by mistake once and there was definitely an appreciable taste difference. Never again.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          I just finished a good book that might be of interest to some here A Brief History of Doom: Two Hundred Years of Financial Crises

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an interesting overview of many of the financial crises the world has gone through over the last 200 years, with particular attention paid to private debt, and lending booms. (He basically makes the case that private debt causes crises) It's very interesting, especially the last chapter about the challenges and failures of regulators.
          I want the book about the next crisis.

Comment

Anyone know if Shanahans has reopened this time round?

Nothing on the web and their phone has a message from Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Brickbats.

A word which must surely have an interesting etymology.
              So, my researches lead me to conclude that a 'brickbat' was, in its original meaning, well, a broken lump of a brick. That someone would physically feck in your direction if they took a dislike to the head on ya. An actual weapon or projectile.

However, sometime around the 16th century, 'throwing brickbats' metamorphised from being a physical means of expressing displeasure and became a metaphysical one, meaning to inundate with insults. Presumably society began to frown on clocking punters in the head with odd bits of masonry.

Hence Milton's use of the term in 1642:
              I beseech ye friends,
              ere the brick-bats flye,
              resolve me and yourselves
              Couldn't have put it better meself.

Comment

Have had quite the last 18 months of flying through trying all of the 0 alcohol beers we could find, herself is a beer drinker, so pregnancy & breastfeeding meant some changes!

Lager
                Heineken - not bad, not a million miles from the original
                Bavaria - no thanks
                Moretti - not a fan
                Becks Blue - awful
                Peroni - Very good effort
                San Miguel - so bad we couldn't even use the reject for making bread
                St Etienne - Aldi - A decent lager if you don't mind the french style lagers

IPA
                'Early Start IPA - Aldi - Absolutely delicious, putting these away regularly now.

Stout
                Guinness 0.0 - Not quite as good as the real thing, but an excellent option if driving. Plenty better than other alcoholic stouts I've had.

An absolute joke that these'll all be charged at same price as their handsomer, funner, tastier counterparts though.

Comment

Anyone know if Shanahans has reopened this time round?

Nothing on the web and their phone has a message from Jan.
                  Passed it at a weekend maybe a week or two ago and happened to notice it looked shut up with the original closed for lockdown signage on the window
                  airport, lol

Comment

I want the book about the next crisis.
                    Water by WJC

WATER

Comment

I dont know where the laziness lies but I put a lot more into Spinning than I do jogging. Im once again restarting my run training and it's hard . Bit of extra on board but I think I'm running too much within myself. I'm thinking it's the fear of injury again but I'm going to have to suck it up or zero progress. Also I Need to get to mid 90kgs and I'll be flying. Currently 100 on the button , stopped the rot somewhat. Fun and games wha..

Comment

I tried to do a Tar and went for a two hour walk tonight as part of the beginning of a six week plan to get the last bit of weight sorted. It seems like an awful lot of effort to get in 20k steps in a day.

On the plus side was finding the Off Menu podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster. A top quality listen.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I know that taste of fake beer you mean, and I don't have emmets expertise, but the Guinness felt highly convincing. I'll be using it as the go-to in future. Although I'll probably start drinking at some point, at which stage I'll spit at the idea of 0.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Water by WJC

WATER
                            Too much or too little?

Comment

Too much or too little?
                              Too much of one type too little of the other. We are only ever a mini heatwave away from water restrictions. Unless we somehow stunt the momentum of climate change we face some dry taps and wet feet .

Comment

Think I've been doing a disservice to Taiwan. Always thought they were the elites who ruined China and then fled due to a popular uprising. But turns out they were just the same as the CCP, a different popular party trying to do good by China, but who lost out in the end to the CCP in terms of popular support. They never did anything wrong though by the looks of where I'm at in this course on China.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                  Have had quite the last 18 months of flying through trying all of the 0 alcohol beers we could find, herself is a beer drinker, so pregnancy & breastfeeding meant some changes!

Lager
                                  Bavaria - no thanks
                                  Moretti - not a fan
                                  Becks Blue - awful

IPA
                                  'Early Start IPA - Aldi - Absolutely delicious, putting these away regularly now.

Stout
                                  Guinness 0.0 - Not quite as good as the real thing, but an excellent option if driving. Plenty better than other alcoholic stouts I've had.

An absolute joke that these'll all be charged at same price as their handsomer, funner, tastier counterparts though.
                                  You're missing the best one by a country mile for me:

Brewdog Nanny state

And an honorable mention to the paulaner which is decent also.

Comment

Drink'in the Sun, an IPA (maybe) from Mikkeller is decent also.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Lager
                                      Bavaria - no thanks
                                      Moretti - not a fan
                                      Becks Blue - awful

IPA

Stout

Lech is the best I've tried so far. Carlsberg is also quite good.

Crowd in the UK called Big Drop Brewing who apparently put out some world class stuff. Won't ship to Ireland at the moment though.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Heineken seem to be the only ones who've copped on to the marketing potential of zeros.

Massive exposure due to no alcohol when really all people read is Heineken.

Comment

I tried to do a Tar and went for a two hour walk tonight as part of the beginning of a six week plan to get the last bit of weight sorted. It seems like an awful lot of effort to get in 20k steps in a day.

On the plus side was finding the Off Menu podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster. A top quality listen.
                                          Probably best not to just jump to 20k, try 10k a day or something. I like to mix it up, what I'm listening to or I get bored. Last 4 days I've played 5 aside football 3 times and walked 125k steps apart from that, a good week for weight, a bad week for feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Probably best not to just jump to 20k, try 10k a day or something. I like to mix it up, what I'm listening to or I get bored. Last 4 days I've played 5 aside football 3 times and walked 125k steps apart from that, a good week for weight, a bad week for feet.
                                            Ha yeah. Although I'd regularly enough go over 20k on an active day out, it's more when you go out and try to get all the steps in one big walk in the evening.

Comment

I have a financial advice question on behalf of my driving instructor:

Him: about 50, full time driving instructor, in a past life he was a banker and has an 'okay' pension due at 66 as part of that

The wife: probably the same age, has given up full time work and now works part-time in a lowish wage administrative role

Kids: two; about 10, 12 years old from what I can guess

The situation:

Through a variety of past successful decisions and inheritances, they have a nice house in a nice area, worth a fair whack, and have a mortgage on it of €310,000. Paying €1,700 a month. They also have a recently acquired bundle of cash (inheritance) of €230,000 which is currently invested in prize bonds.

The guy was diagnosed by a decent financial advisor in the past as 'extremely risk averse' and feels very comfortable with that label. So bearing that in mind, and their types of jobs: what do they do? Do they pay down the mortgage, pay down part of the mortgage, keep it in savings (with the idea of drawing it down bit by bit over the years, especially towards the retirement stage of life)?

Some related things that came up as I was probing (and trying not to crash the car):
                                              1. They would view it as a crying shame to pay down the mortgage and then die, thus not using their mortgage insurance. Although I was saying they could take out life insurance separate to the mortgage.
                                              2. They seem singularly uninterested in 'making money'. They've some past experience of owning a second home and didn't like it. I suggested forestry as a low risk investment and that was shot down. I decided not to proffer my views on NFTs as an investment asset class.
                                              Real inflation is much higher than what the US accepted recently as 5.9% - we all know that - house prices - health provision - provision of any service - so the difficulty is getting people like that to believe that they are losing (way more than) 10-15k per year purchasing power given accepted figures and that 230k is reducing significantly. There is no risk free rate as the NTMA assures with the .35% APR prize bonds. Put it under the mattress is to accept defeat - there is nothing risk free given the fiat currency joke. Hail Mary on BITCOIN IMO. Or for the extremely risk averse, something like Berkshire Hathaway is required .

Comment

Think I've been doing a disservice to Taiwan. Always thought they were the elites who ruined China and then fled due to a popular uprising. But turns out they were just the same as the CCP, a different popular party trying to do good by China, but who lost out in the end to the CCP in terms of popular support. They never did anything wrong though by the looks of where I'm at in this course on China.
                                                HH account hacked by someone who uses facts, reasoning.

Russians obv.

Comment

Ha yeah. Although I'd regularly enough go over 20k on an active day out, it's more when you go out and try to get all the steps in one big walk in the evening.
                                                  I do a few walks during the day, morning, lunch, couple in the evening in between doing other things. 20k at once is a big ask without any goal/event at hand.

Comment

I do a few walks during the day, morning, lunch, couple in the evening in between doing other things. 20k at once is a big ask without any goal/event at hand.
                                                    if you substitute a single consonant, it could be a CC post.

Flexible thing, language.

Comment

if you substitute a single consonant, it could be a CC post.

Flexible thing, language.
                                                      Reminds me of when I had to wear a portable heart monitor for 24 hours about 2 years ago. Really thought I could take a break for that long, as didn't want to get asked about the increased heart rate at various points in the day. Think I held out for 14 hours. Meh.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Finally got vaccine now (steps++). First vaccine took 1.5 hours queuing to get. This time no queue at all. The woman had lavender for me to smell while getting it and offered me chocolates after

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                          Won't ship to Ireland at the moment though.
                                                          This is a pain in the hole.

Early December last year i put in an order to Brewdog.com for ~ €200. Delivered via Parcel Motel (Never once got an alcohol order rejected in about 20 attempts).
                                                          All different types of beers and abv. Monumental selection from some sale they were plugging at the time. They done me all of December, XMAS and well into Lockdown. I'd been regurlarly purchasing on teh site before too.

It was gone overnight.

Yes i know Brewdog are wankers who ride their staff and i fundamentally disagree with the hipster take that their beer is rubbish on the back of the first part of this sentence.

I'm a big fan of all Whiplash beers. I think they are bang on the money with their releases. But of course like everything else. We are getting absolutely robbed when it comes to the price. Especially compared to what i could get online or even in a supermarket up North. It seems like extra robbery in the craft beer game though.

Comment

Also FYI, when a nurse or doctor asks if you are having any erectile dysfunctional problems, they don't count not having the energy to knock one out more than three times a day anymore as a problem.

Comment

I don't know if the history of China is so ridiculously fascinating or the professor is so brilliant, but it's some course this China course. Haven't learned history since before the Junior Cert and it sure wasn't like this back then. Going to maybe follow another course after this, just to check if it's a general history-is-amazing thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

This is a pain in the hole.

Early December last year i put in an order to Brewdog.com for ~ €200. Delivered via Parcel Motel (Never once got an alcohol order rejected in about 20 attempts).
                                                                All different types of beers and abv. Monumental selection from some sale they were plugging at the time. They done me all of December, XMAS and well into Lockdown. I'd been regurlarly purchasing on teh site before too.

It was gone overnight.

Yes i know Brewdog are wankers who ride their staff and i fundamentally disagree with the hipster take that their beer is rubbish on the back of the first part of this sentence.

I'm a big fan of all Whiplash beers. I think they are bang on the money with their releases. But of course like everything else. We are getting absolutely robbed when it comes to the price. Especially compared to what i could get online or even in a supermarket up North. It seems like extra robbery in the craft beer game though.
                                                                It's a long term problem. UK is gone for loads of stuff now they are non-EU and it's not changing. I think we need new personal beer supply lines from the Netherlands, Spain etc. To follow the innovative Latvian beer co with the same interest we used to follow the likes of Brewdog.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

You're missing the best one by a country mile for me:

Brewdog Nanny state

And an honorable mention to the paulaner which is decent also.
                                                                  I missed a few tbh!

Completely forgot about Brewdog, Nanny State is a very good beer in its own right. Punk AF (Alcohol Free) is a no for me. Somehow manages to taste like a high alcohol beer while having none.

Erdinger is quite good - has always been around though, I remember one of the lads showed up to a house party aged 19 or something with 6 big bottles of it ready to get wrecked. Think he was half way through number 3 before releasing it was alcohol free.

Lazare right too, Carlsberg is surprisingly good, considering their alcohol lager is only two or three steps away from water. (Their export is great though!) And yeah we had a few cans of the Big Drop stuff before we left London. Thought it was a bit too specific to be mentioning a beer that isn't available in Ireland though!

Comment

The opticians was mad busy for a Wednesday morning. Guess I'm not the only one who put off going because of the covid.

Comment

Best beer I ever tasted was in Munich . A Bavarian beer and of course I have no idea what it was called , so just like that nymphette I met in coppers in the 90s the memory of the night has faded somewhat but time has added to its glory. Was like getting a few go's on Dawn Run . (Minus the horsey head of course , dont be getting ideas Raoul)

Comment

Finally got vaccine now (steps++). First vaccine took 1.5 hours queuing to get. This time no queue at all. The woman had lavender for me to smell while getting it and offered me chocolates after
                                                                        Thinly disguised checking your sense of smell and taste.

Nurse / courtesan: Do you like this nice smell? What would you say it is?

Tar: Um, strawberry?

SPOILER

Comment

In a podcast yesterday Ed Gamble, now a vegan, was discussing how he thought about past meat he'd eaten. He said he thinks about it like a reformed hooligan - reliving past meat crimes and revelling in their debauchery, but never wanting to return to those days. Thought it was an interesting idea. The person he was interviewing about her favourite meals was a bit perplexed as to why she, also a vegan, when she thought about her favourite ever dishes also found herself drawn to some past meat dishes she had eaten.

Comment

In a podcast yesterday Ed Gamble, now a vegan, was discussing how he thought about past meat he'd eaten. He said he thinks about it like a reformed hooligan - reliving past meat crimes and revelling in their debauchery, but never wanting to return to those days. Thought it was an interesting idea. The person he was interviewing about her favourite meals was a bit perplexed as to why she, also a vegan, when she thought about her favourite ever dishes also found herself drawn to some past meat dishes she had eaten.
                                                                            90s nymphomaniac was deffo not a vegan. Or any other 5 letter V word

Durty thought Do vegans swallow ? (Ok it's too early for that convo) still though a valid question.

Comment

Jimmy Jimmy!!!

Now for Jimmy vs Kohli v 35.0

Comment

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I don't know if the history of China is so ridiculously fascinating or the professor is so brilliant, but it's some course this China course. Haven't learned history since before the Junior Cert and it sure wasn't like this back then. Going to maybe follow another course after this, just to check if it's a general history-is-amazing thing.
                                                                                  100% hacked.

Possibly by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

90s nymphomaniac was deffo not a vegan. Or any other 5 letter V word

Durty thought Do vegans swallow ? (Ok it's too early for that convo) still though a valid question.
                                                                                    Nurse?

Comment

At first you tend to remember the great meals you've had in your life, as time goes on they fade and new memories appear. When I was watching that chicken eating man you put up I saw him take a bone out of a chicken wing and thinking how weird it was to see a bone of a living creature in somebodies meal, didn't register as food any more. I'd never have thought like that initially, everything would still have been "normal" but it's been 17 years and now it's strange to me.

This is a funny, Simon Amstel: Carnage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...mstell-carnage

It's 2067, the UK is vegan, but older generations are suffering the guilt of their carnivorous past. Simon Amstell asks us to forgive them for the horrors of what they swallowed.
                                                                                      There are AA style support groups for people that are reliving eating cheese.

Comment

Jimmy Jimmy!!!

Now for Jimmy vs Kohli v 35.0
                                                                                        Anderson wins.

@sp, we should start backing India now

Comment

@Tar actually he was a recent vegan at the time of this podcast so that might be it. That he hasn't had time to build new food memories.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Nurse?
                                                                                            Can hardly remember. I remember going out on a Friday afternoon and reluctantly arriving home on Sat night smitten . No idea what Northside Georgian flat I left behind me . No mobiles back then so spent many times in coppers looking out for her if only I had a glass slipper to go on. All Exploits since then never matched up. She must have been a dancer with those moves... Some fucker has her albeit probably scrap value now

Comment

At first you tend to remember the great meals you've had in your life, as time goes on they fade and new memories appear. When I was watching that chicken eating man you put up I saw him take a bone out of a chicken wing and thinking how weird it was to see a bone of a living creature in somebodies meal, didn't register as food any more. I'd never have thought like that initially, everything would still have been "normal" but it's been 17 years and now it's strange to me.

This is a funny, Simon Amstel: Carnage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...mstell-carnage

There are AA style support groups for people that are reliving eating cheese.
                                                                                              I was in the mudders recently for a birthday tea ( how quaint ).
                                                                                              I turned down a few sambos due to my new eating departure
                                                                                              The looks I got , you would swear i was claiming to be Francis of Assisi reborn.

I believe my new title is semi veg . Which is not accurate as I now rarely eat meat so semi is not right. . I'm thinking we need a new name I think transitionary veggie is accurate .

I also will eat meat if there are no other sambos available at a function or if I'm so demented with the hunger I'll eat what's in front of me. I'm open to coaching on this .

Comment

Sorry, but this lad can go fuck himself, the world is fucked if this sort of shit isn't immediately laughed at..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                  Sorry, but this lad can go fuck himself, the world is fucked if this sort of shit isn't immediately laughed at..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-58327844.amp
                                                                                                  It's been laughed at the world over this morning from what I read. America is full of these greedy little shits . It's the payment we have to pay for the music.

Comment

Do what's best for you Solks, sounds like you're trying, well done! No harm doing what you are able and expanding that if you feel able to later on.

Was just doing the old sign up to new deals for cheaper prices on internet and electricity, they are rather silly. Take the electricity for instance. I ring my provider up and say yo I'm out of contract, can I have the new customer deal on your site, they can't offer it to me. They offer some crap deal, I list off about other deals available and say that the best two deals are 1) Your New Customer deal. 2) Switching to Electric Ireland. I then just switch as they'd rather lose €1500 a year from me than let people get a deal that is 2 cent lower on rates.

Broadband guy was much better, released I didn't give a fuck about what he was talking about and gave me the deal I asked for so I stayed with them.

Comment

Do what's best for you Solks, sounds like you're trying, well done! No harm doing what you are able and expanding that if you feel able to later on.

Was just doing the old sign up to new deals for cheaper prices on internet and electricity, they are rather silly. Take the electricity for instance. I ring my provider up and say yo I'm out of contract, can I have the new customer deal on your site, they can't offer it to me. They offer some crap deal, I list off about other deals available and say that the best two deals are 1) Your New Customer deal. 2) Switching to Electric Ireland. I then just switch as they'd rather lose €1500 a year from me than let people get a deal that is 2 cent lower on rates.

Broadband guy was much better, released I didn't give a fuck about what he was talking about and gave me the deal I asked for so I stayed with them.
                                                                                                      Switching Day. Should be in your diary every year.

Comment

History is amazing If you like storytelling (like every other human), then the most fantastic things you can imagine, the greatest heroes, the vilest villains, they are all there and they were REAL people!

Comment

Switching Day. Should be in your diary every year.
                                                                                                          Actually kinda wanted to switch since they didn't send out a reminder about contract end this year, dastardly. I'd just find out when my bill doubled. I know they count on inertia but they should still cave to the people who will switch, it's best for all involved.

Comment

@Tar actually he was a recent vegan at the time of this podcast so that might be it. That he hasn't had time to build new food memories.
                                                                                                            When I was in NYC it was my brother's girlfriend's birthday so I brought them and my mother to Avante Garden, a vegan restaurant https://instagram.com/avantgardennyc...dium=copy_link
                                                                                                            The food was amazing but so too was the occasion, the atmosphere, the furnishings, the evening, that we ordered everything on the menu, that you could see the head chef drinking a glass of wine while cooking and dancing, and that they got it for free.

These 3 non vegans now talk about the place and the food like it is the second coming of Jesus, best food they've had and so on. There's a lot that goes into those memories apart from the actual food.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-08-21, 12:31.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I think thats the glory of their podcast format (name your best starter, main course, desert) as it becomes a cool storytelling device as your favourite meal is always about the context.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I think thats the glory of their podcast format (name your best starter, main course, desert) as it becomes a cool storytelling device as your favourite meal is always about the context.
                                                                                                                This is quite the 360 from your previous attitude of blithely dismissing historical context from any debate (mainly because you usually have no idea of what it is). What will this new, improved HH do next?

Comment

Handling inconvenient facts that don't agree with your viewpoint is Research101.

"A range of studies that haven't had the same impact as X, Y, Z, have alternatively proposed..."

Footnote. Adjust font size smaller on footnote.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

History is amazing If you like storytelling (like every other human), then the most fantastic things you can imagine, the greatest heroes, the vilest villains, they are all there and they were REAL people!
                                                                                                                    Registered for 2nd year of college today and chose the Irish Diaspora and Death and Disease as my 2 optional modules. I think both will be fascinating with some very interesting stories coming from the Irish one.

Comment

The situation:

Through a variety of past successful decisions and inheritances, they have a nice house in a nice area, worth a fair whack, and have a mortgage on it of €310,000. Paying €1,700 a month. They also have a recently acquired bundle of cash (inheritance) of €230,000 which is currently invested in prize bonds.

The guy was diagnosed by a decent financial advisor in the past as 'extremely risk averse' and feels very comfortable with that label. So bearing that in mind, and their types of jobs: what do they do?
                                                                                                                      To give advice in any sort of real-terms you prob need to know what the mortgage rate is and what the bond rate is.
                                                                                                                      But it’s pretty much a given that mortgage % > bonds %. So they’re essentially losing money overall.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                      I've never heard of anyone owning prize bonds before. The rate isn't actually that bad -

"The National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) sets the variable percentage rate used to calculate the prize fund. Effective from February 2021 this variable percentage rate is set at 0.35% of the total value of Prize Bonds outstanding."

I assume you can't get better in any long term savings a/cs?
                                                                                                                      You can get regular interest paying bonds from Prize Bond/State Savings crowd. Top one is just under 1% aer.
                                                                                                                      Given the “risk adverse” description above, I thought that maybe that’s what they had invested in.

Comment

This is quite the 360 from your previous attitude of blithely dismissing historical context from any debate (mainly because you usually have no idea of what it is). What will this new, improved HH do next?
                                                                                                                        Not sure him doing a 360 is gonna get him or us anywhere

Comment

India have managed to lose their last 4 wickets for 0 runs. Good job I got distracted from backing them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X