Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought some table runners from AliExpress last week, and while browsing some site this morning I got this AliExpress ad. Wtf?

Screenshot-2021-08-20-09-29-03-195-com-android-chrome.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
      I bought some table runners from AliExpress last week, and while browsing some site this morning I got this AliExpress ad. Wtf?

The usually send me Nazi related stuff. The swastika covered jogging pants were a stand out recommendation.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

The usually send me Nazi related stuff. The swastika covered jogging pants were a stand out recommendation.
        Oblig 'its not a nazi swastika to large parts of the world' post
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The single annual futile attempt to get the kids to appreciate fine food is coming up for lunch today on our last day before returning. Food looks class.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            The single annual futile attempt to get the kids to appreciate fine food is coming up for lunch today on our last day before returning. Food looks class.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restauran..._la_Loire.html
            Our kids appreciate good food (in fact they all have remarkable abilities to identify different tastes\flavours that I can't spot at all).

The problem, for your average Irish child, is that they just don't know how to behave in a restaurant. This includes table manners, as well the ability to sit still and converse for a couple of hours.

French kids, by contrast, seem to act as mini-adults in such settings. No idea how the parents do it but I am always awed by the sight of a little French girl seeming to savour her salad or vegetables while my kids are busy throwing stuff at each other and noisily commenting on everything they see.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Our kids appreciate good food (in fact they all have remarkable abilities to identify different tastes\flavours that I can't spot at all).

The problem, for your average Irish child, is that they just don't know how to behave in a restaurant. This includes table manners, as well the ability to sit still and converse for a couple of hours.

French kids, by contrast, seem to act as mini-adults in such settings. No idea how the parents do it but I am always awed by the sight of a little French girl seeming to savour her salad or vegetables while my kids are busy throwing stuff at each other and noisily commenting on everything they see.

This is exacerbated single restaurant having the same kids menu, chips, nuggets (goujons if there is an air of superiority), sausages, and maybe a plain pasta or pizza option.
              If everywhere is the same, whats the point?
              It drives me mental. Castleknock hotel does a childs buffet and they seemed aghast at the idea my kid may want vegetables with her meal.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

We have effectively one Irish and one French kid and it's a real thing. The youngest was trained by his nanny to obey obey obey. The eldest is all our own creation
                ​​​​

Comment

Training a child, to bring two topics together, is probably a lot like training a dog.

You want to have a ot of craic and enjoyment with them but you also need to teach them boundaries and discipline. I suspect we Irish parents (and possibly fathers in particular) go way overboard on the having craic side. Which is great but then you get our restaurant scenario.
                  The French I suspect lean to the other side of the childrearing equation.

Comment

<> 'medium-sized dog'

Think I'm going to go down the reputable breeder route to start - thanks for all the suggestions folks
                    Google description has the word medium in it!
                    Along with large but that's not the point!
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

That's crazy and horrifying,
                      why would they be sending you arsenal news?
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I would say two of the most important items we have (even more so now with the small fella) are our six foot bed and our cordless Dyson. They improve life tangibly on a daily basis. I could not recommend either highly enough.

Like Lao Lao we spent around 500 on the Dyson and I haven't regretted it for a second. Maybe the Shark does the same job for half the price, but in fairness to that cunt Dyson any time you see knockoffs of his stuff they seem to be a lot shitter. Hand driers in pubs for instance, loads of places have off-brand imitations of the airblade and they are not a patch on the real thing.

Comment

shrapnel what was the brand of mustard again?

Comment

Happy St Stephen's Day , you filthy Hungarian animals .

Comment

I am very late to the party of Revolut but setting it up now (was out Weds with friends, paid the bill and they all scoffed at me for not having it)

Which plan do I want? All I want to do initially is to be able to transfer to\from friends and also 1 of my kids. Standard (free) or does it make any difference?

Comment

Free is all you want then for that.

Comment

I am very late to the party of Revolut but setting it up now (was out Weds with friends, paid the bill and they all scoffed at me for not having it)

Which plan do I want? All I want to do initially is to be able to transfer to\from friends and also 1 of my kids. Standard (free) or does it make any difference?
                                  free is fine.
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

done, tx

Comment

Surely this is because the french kids know if they’re quiet they’ll get wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        Moutarde des pompiers by pommery.

Since that fateful time I ran out and asked the bbv to use its power to source it for me, I haver never run out again, and buy the stuff by the case.

Comment

Speaking of revolut, I noticed whilst in France that they now charge an fx fee when exchanging between currencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            Surely this is because the french kids know if they’re quiet they’ll get wine.
                                            why can't they just drink alcopops in fields and puke over each other like Irish kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Pommery
                                              Can’t post image

Comment

why can't they just drink alcopops in fields and puke over each other like Irish kids?
                                                That’s just the throwing carrots in restaurants on teenage scale.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                  Speaking of revolut, I noticed whilst in France that they now charge an fx fee when exchanging between currencies.
                                                  You get 1k per month without fee.

Comment

Bah, the Irish teams managed not to draw either La Rochelle or Bordeaux in the Heineken Cup (both places being at the top of our wishlist).

Leinster got Montpellier (great place but were there last time)
                                                    Munster got Castres (bit of a shithole, don't want to back)
                                                    Ulster got Clermont (great place, been before, would return)
                                                    Connacht got Stade (meh Paris)

tossup between Paris and Clerrrmont for a visit.

Comment

Currently in a small village getting food, up a kinda mountain and wow it is just amazing, grapes growing from ceiling, waiter just grabs a bunch and walks over to your table and leaves them. Hammocks to lie on too, although I'd prob fall off it lol
                                                      Had moussaka was beautiful. Views just to die for ❤️
                                                      IMG_20210820_154118.jpg IMG_20210820_154016.jpg IMG_20210820_154044.jpg IMG_20210820_154028.jpg
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Bah, the Irish teams managed not to draw either La Rochelle or Bordeaux in the Heineken Cup (both places being at the top of our wishlist).

Leinster got Montpellier (great place but were there last time)
                                                        Munster got Castres (bit of a shithole, don't want to back)
                                                        Ulster got Clermont (great place, been before, would return)
                                                        Connacht got Stade (meh Paris)

tossup between Paris and Clerrrmont for a visit.
                                                        as a newb where would you rather go?
                                                        Slight chance of work jollie

Comment

Robot Hoover is the way to go if you've the layout for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

as a newb where would you rather go?
                                                            Slight chance of work jollie
                                                            of the 4? Montpellier or Clermont. Clermont atmosphere cannot be beaten but Montpellier is a nicer town imo.

Comment

Just a coincidence that they waited until there was a €40 referral?

People in restaurants always seemed genuinely surprised by cash - even five years ago

Comment

Can a bank account not do that? We would often be out for dinner, one would pay and the rest transfer
                                                                to the rest. Can’t see how it could be easier.

it’s been a while since I had an Irish back account, but I do remember the online banking was terrible. So painfully to use that it lost all connivence. A stupid gov that was needed to sign in.

Comment

Revolut is incomparable to banking here, no need to set up the account to transfer to,can pay in real time, create links to pay and so on with all it's features.

Comment

It's easier because it can work via phone number and is instant. Only intra-bank transfers are instant in Ireland (possibly some banks might not even do that)

N26 > Rev though.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      It's easier because it can work via phone number and is instant. Only intra-bank transfers are instant in Ireland (possibly some banks might not even do that)

N26 > Rev though.
                                                                      I don't have either but now that we're reemerging into the world I'll probably need to get 1 or both.

What's the regulatory status with revolut? Would you be comfortable leaving a decent amount sitting there?? I know N26 is actually a bank in some European country and operating under license here but what's the story with Rev?
                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

A lot of horror stories with rev. Wouldn't leave significant amounts with the (No real reason to either?)

Not sure on their current situation but last I heard they were still waiting on an Irish licence and were using a Lithuanian banking licence. They've an office next door to the CBI so I'm sure they're doing their best to get set up here.

Just still a bit fly by their pants kinda company.
                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-08-21, 17:09.

Comment

Think they are due to get approval within a year or so, at present it's the same as something like degiro, client money is just held in a separate account.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I don't have either but now that we're reemerging into the world I'll probably need to get 1 or both.

What's the regulatory status with revolut? Would you be comfortable leaving a decent amount sitting there?? I know N26 is actually a bank in some European country and operating under license here but what's the story with Rev?
                                                                            I don't think I'd have any worthwhile $$$ sitting there

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I use Revolut for most things including tranferring to and from gambling sites. All good although never any big amounts over a couple grand.

Have heard some stories about bigger accounts frozen for 18 months and being a disaster to unfreeze.

Example would be a well known poker organiser transferring a large amount of tips to staff during pandemic and all frozen despite getting ok from Revolut. Despite all tax certs and revenue agreement they still wouldnt unfreeze it (basically dealing with a new person each time and starting from scratch thing). So id be wary of holding a huge chunk.

Comment

Enough of the dogs, children, and money advice. I want more on the shagging married women. There seems to be a huge glut in the market.

Comment

Enough of the dogs, children, and money advice. I want more on the shagging married women. There seems to be a huge glut in the market.
                                                                                  I’d say the post pandemic sex boom is only just starting. Lots of unhappy folk looking for a change. BCB will be bating them away with a stick!
                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

@V you want to go for Revolut as they have the market share, and so at that meal with Roaul type friends, it will be all Revolut accounts for transferring. The network effect is real.

Re safety. They are an EU bank with a €100k ECB guarantee. There's no possible issues with safety. Their licence is Lithuanian, N26 is German, AIB is Irish. Only one of those three central banks is dodgy and slow to respond. But the guarantee is backstopped by the ECB for each country anyway.

They also just got a massive recent valuation so they're not going anywhere soon. They are valued at many many times what AIB or Bank of Ireland are valued.

Comment

Personally I transfer most of our spending money to Revolut at the start of the month and only use them for spending.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie

Is there really not a public register of divorces in Ireland? Meeting up with an old girlfriend (from 27 years ago) on Sunday, something she doesn't want to talk about by message. I am excite.
                                                                                        You owe someone 27 birthday presents…

Comment

Excellent documentary on TG4 at the moment. Poc na nGael. Going through the history of players/clubs with Irish ancestry that played ice hockey in Canada.
                                                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

@V you want to go for Revolut as they have the market share, and so at that meal with Roaul type friends, it will be all Revolut accounts for transferring. The network effect is real.

Re safety. They are an EU bank with a €100k ECB guarantee. There's no possible issues with safety. Their licence is Lithuanian, N26 is German, AIB is Irish. Only one of those three central banks is dodgy and slow to respond. But the guarantee is backstopped by the ECB for each country anyway.

They also just got a massive recent valuation so they're not going anywhere soon. They are valued at many many times what AIB or Bank of Ireland are valued.
                                                                                            You don't get that guarantee here until they have a licence here afaik.
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-08-21, 19:45.

Comment

I just use Revolute to give money to Random IPBers for competitions I shouldn't be in. Fantasy football for example. WEEK 1 . I forget to pick my team . Caught napping already.

Comment

As long as she isn't dna checking her 26 year old kid I'm ok. Divorce, one time.
                                                                                                No more than 3 wanks before the date now.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

No more than 3 wanks before the date now.
                                                                                                  It's not a date.

Should probably have 8 between now and then to clean the pipes.

Comment

It's not a date.

Should probably have 8 between now and then to clean the pipes.

El Gran Masturbador.

Saw it in the Reina Sofia once, should have picked you up a print.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                      I just use Revolute to give money to Random IPBers for competitions I shouldn't be in. Fantasy football for example. WEEK 1 . I forget to pick my team . Caught napping already.
                                                                                                      You can use it for Cheltenham 2022 now. You're due.

Comment

You can use it for Cheltenham 2022 now. You're due.
                                                                                                        INSKI. doh

Comment

El Gran Masturbador.

Saw it in the Reina Sofia once, should have picked you up a print.
                                                                                                          Think I'm more in the frequent category. My great ones are well past.

Comment

Our childminder is heading back to South Africa for a few weeks holidays.

she is fully vaccinated but does anyone know what the return protocols are.

She is saying that she doesn’t need a test or to isolate at all - I am presuming that can’t be right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

You don't get that guarantee here until they have a licence here afaik.
                                                                                                              That could not possibly be the case as it would undermine the very essence of a single European banking market. The guarantee has to be portable.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                Our childminder is heading back to South Africa for a few weeks holidays.

she is fully vaccinated but does anyone know what the return protocols are.

She is saying that she doesn’t need a test or to isolate at all - I am presuming that can’t be right?
                                                                                                                Shes wrong. SA is on the list.

She needs a negative test in SA prior to travelling here and to isolate at home for 5 days until she can get a 2nd negative test here.

"You still must have a negative pre-departure PCR test if you have arrived from a designated country. Children aged 11 and under do not need to have a negative PCR test.

You also need to self-quarantine (also called home quarantine) if you arrive from a designated country. You can finish your home quarantine if you get a negative or not detected RT-PCR test result taken from day 5 onwards after you arrive in Ireland."

All info clearly laid out here

Comment

That could not possibly be the case as it would undermine the very essence of a single European banking market. The guarantee has to be portable.
                                                                                                                  From here:

The deposit guarantee scheme of a bank’s home country is also responsible for the deposit guarantees of the depositors of the bank’s foreign branches.

It's quick too. The European Central Bank guarantees you will be paid out fully within 20 days, and by 2024 the guarantee is that you will be paid out within 7 days.

​​​​​​
                                                                                                                  You'd probably find (genuinely) that the misinformation about Revolut is spread by the traditional banks.

Comment

84% of all adults fully jabbed and they're flying through the 12-15 y/o population now (my 12/14 y/os booked in for Monday).

Must be near the top of the international pile.

Comment

Have a related question on quarantine. Do kids need to home quarantine when they get back from abroad, or they are always exempt? Just wondering in terms of the back to school.

Comment

Have a related question on quarantine. Do kids need to home quarantine when they get back from abroad, or they are always exempt? Just wondering in terms of the back to school.
                                                                                                                        Exempt is my reading of it from that link.

Comment

As long as she isn't dna checking her 26 year old kid I'm ok. Divorce, one time.
                                                                                                                          Sure they're 1/2 reared by 26,
                                                                                                                          be grand.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X