This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Jacks of Glengarriff didn't give any kind of bollix.

We also had the following exchange:

"How big a portion is the roast beef?"

"WHAT?" (roaring)

(Repeats question, loudly)

(Due thought is given)

"Well......" (long pause)

"It's not too big." (longer pause)

"And it's not too small."

Sold!
    The Healy Pass nearby is one of the best cycles you'll ever have. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
      What's your first port of call for a back injury?

Injured it lifting something heavy (me nob) about 4/5 weeks ago. Epicentre of pain feels hot and is in lower back slightly right of middle on right side - feels like sacro illiac may have been knocked out of whack (had that about 20 years ago)
      Getting stiff pains in various parts of back and and neck also but they vary.

My first thought was physio buy usually end up hemorrhaging money with them and have a concern they wont be able to differentiate between disc issue and less serious injury = wasted money
      Would a GP be better to go to first? Would they be abe to tell the difference between herniated disc and misalignment etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Two posts up from yours

Comment

Any recommendations for a shop a sofa (B+M) that's not IKEA?
        Last edited by coillcam; 26-07-21, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Try this fellow
          The dead link to one of Ivor Cummins' covid denier updates inspires confidence.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

The dead link to one of Ivor Cummins' covid denier updates inspires confidence.
            That's like saying you wont go to the doctors as he goes to mass . I wore a mask anyhoo.

Comment

Two posts up from yours
              Not saying I dont need a good old fashioned harmonizing of my confluences but I'll settle for a knee in.the back at this stage

Comment

The Healy Pass nearby is one of the best cycles you'll ever have. Do it.
                Drove out as far as Castletownbere in the lashing rain this afternoon, serious feckin' mountains inland so that must be some road through them.

No bike with me so won't be attempting it!
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Not saying I dont need a good old fashioned harmonizing of my confluences but I'll settle for a knee in.the back at this stage
                  Went to 4 different Physios last December knee inexplicably seized. Not one could figure out my injury . He recognised the originsl source Worked on it. Mended. He spotted old injuries . I was dubious at 1st . But all made sense . I did giggle when a gong went off during treatment though . ( ivor cumming in his jocks probably)

Comment

All this talk about cancellations and deposits and appointments.

I'm just saying there is an app for that! So if any of you guys know any restauranteurs or any appointment based businesses that are struggling with deposits/waitlists/cancellations in this high demand time!

Tell them to get in touch!

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Lop Buri - Part 2 - Meant to post this before but haven't had a chance

We were all clearly uncomfortable as we ambled out of the tuk-tuk. We were met by a rather stern looking middle aged Swedish nurse at the entrance.

‘Hello, Can I help you? Are you new volunteers?’

My heart sank further. We had been told by Mr Pik to ask for Lenie.

‘Eh, no, we’re not volunteers; we’re here to see Lenie.’

‘Lenie? I do not know any Lenie.’ Her voice seemed to sound sterner with every word she spoke.

‘Well…yeah…Mr Pik told us to ask for….’

‘Mr Pik? I do not know a Mr Pik or a Lenie. Do you have any medical experience?’

Just then, a tall, dark haired, orderly, dressed completely in white walked past us and overheard our conversation.

‘I know Lenie, she’s working here as a volunteer. I’ll take you to see her’

‘Thanks!’ we all echoed in a chorus of relief as we scurried out the line of sight of the matrons glare.

Lenie was a middle-aged Dutch woman who met us with a friendly smile and a welcoming handshake. We explained that Mr Pik had sent us and things started to become clear. Lenie had recently been into town and ate at Mr Pik’s restaurant. In conversation, she had told him what she was doing in Lop Buri and Mr Pik had decided to add this leg to his tour, without her knowledge or consent. Nevertheless, she kindly offered to show us around and tell us all about the Hospice. We questioned whether we should be there since we might be intruding on the patients’ privacy.

‘Trust me. You won’t be intruding.’ she replied, as she beckoned us to follow her.

So trust her we did and as a result, I witnessed the most humbling experience of my life.

The hospice was founded by local Buddhist monks, was situated on land owned by the monks, but unfortunately that was where their involvement ended. They did not provide any financial assistance in the running of the hospice. In fact there was very little financial assistance at all. All of the people that worked there were volunteers and the hospice did not even have enough money to buy proper medicine for the patients.

Our tour around the Hospice started in an area where all the patients were terminal. There was no more that could be done for these people, except to try and make them comfortable in their last days. Their immune system had completely shut down, resulting in the loss of nearly all of their body weight. What lay in front of us was tragically sad. One of the patients offered his hand to shake and I did so. Suddenly, from a look of total despair, a huge, ear to ear, smile beamed across his face.

What we didn’t know was, that in Thailand, education regarding HIV/AIDS is extremely poor. A lot of people believe that if you are in the same room with or in any way touch somebody who has contracted HIV/AIDS then you too will be infected. All of the people in the Hospice were quite literally dumped there by their families, families that never returned to visit them. The majority would not even return to collect the bodies of their loved ones after they had passed away. I knew little to no Thai and the man that lay in front of me could speak no English. But that didn’t matter. The look of joy on his face clearly showed he was happy. He was happy that I was not afraid to stand near him and shake his hand. His smile transcended all languages. I fought back the tears and the best I could do was to smile back.

Lenie must have known that we were all a bit upset as she didn’t keep us in the ward for too long. She brought us outside of the main building and showed us where some more of the residents stayed. These were people who still looked quite healthy and were able to help out with the day to day jobs around the Hospice. The spirit, bravery and courage they displayed was astounding. They had seen friends die in the Hospice and knew they would have the same fate. They knew that there was nothing that could be done to save them. They knew that it was only a matter of time before they ended up in the ward we’d just come from. But yet, they were so happy and content to sit with us, watch and listen to us talk to Lenie and try to speak some English to us, all the time smiling, just because we were there.

We were introduced to the HIV Band, a group of residents who were all musicians. Every so often, they would travel to Bangkok and Chang Mai to play a gig in order to raise funds for the Hospice. The bass and guitar player played a few tunes for us and they were absolutely brilliant. Sadly, the line up of the band changes regularly. The members’ health eventually deteriorates and they ultimately die, but the band goes on as new people arrive at the Hospice. Lenie explained to us that on average 5-6 people died in the Hospice each week, men, women and children.

The next place that Lenie showed us was just too much for me. It was called the ‘After Death Room.’ Here was an attempt to try and educate people a bit more about HIV/AIDS. In this room were the preserved bodies of people who had died at the Hospice. The range was broad, a one year old baby, a seven year old child, a lady-boy, a male doctor and a housewife. The message was brutally stark. In a country like Thailand where HIV/AIDS is so rampant and education is so poor, the virus does not discriminate between age, sex or lifestyle. I stood in front of the body of the seven year old child. All I could think about was my niece back home who was of a similar age. It all became too much for me. I had to leave the room and wait outside for the others.

After two hours of talking with Lenie and the residents, we bought some handcrafts made by the residents. The money we paid for them would not make any significant difference to the Hospice, but it felt like it gave them great dignity to be able to raise funds for their fellow friends. From there we said our goodbyes and headed back to our tuk-tuk driver who was anxious to continue on with the tour.

We climbed back into the tuk-tuk and slowly pulled away from the AIDS Hospice. There was an almost awkward silence for a few minutes. Gradually we began to talk among ourselves about what we had just witnessed. Our driver however did not join in. He seemed uncomfortable about having to be bring us to the hospice and sat in silence as he drove.

Our next stop was to be Wat Tham Krabok, a large Buddhist Temple run by Monk Gordon. Mr Pik had shown us pictures of Monk Gordon, who remarkably had an uncanny resemblance to a certain Samuel L Jackson. As we pulled up to Wat Tham Krabok, we saw Monk Gordon approach us. From our knowledge and experience so far of Buddhism and Monks, we were not expecting the welcome we received.

‘Howdo, How are ya’ boomed a huge American accent. ‘Come on in, nice to meet you, who the hell are ya?’

Baffled and a little shell-shocked, we hopped down from the tuk-tuk, introduced ourselves and told him that we were part of the tour that Mr Pik had organised. We were not surprised to hear that he didn’t know of Mr Pik and that he wasn’t expecting us, but that didn’t matter. He was genuinely glad that we were there.

He brought us to one of the sanctuary areas. It was a large, impressive Colosseum type building. The floor was completely covered in marble tiles and instead of walls, we were surrounded by forty foot tall pillars, each a couple of metres apart. The pillars held up a very decorative cone shaped roof. In the centre of the floor, there was an area cornered off by a small railing which contained statues and images of the Buddha. As with all Buddhists areas of worship, we had to remove our footwear before entering and once inside, Monk Gordon sat down on the floor and beckoned us to join him.

Once we were all comfortable, he again apologised for not being ready to greet us as he was not aware of us coming. We all felt that it should be us apologising to him, but he would not entertain this at all. He could see that we were clearly anxious to ask him a few questions about how he ended up at his present location.

What unfolded was probably one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard.

Monk Gordon, as his accent suggested, was American, a native of New York. He told us that he used to be a member of the Foreign Legion, a mercenary who traveled the world fighting wars and battles that did not involve him or his country but paid well. Judging by his physique he would have been a formidable combatant. Just over fifteen years ago, he was on a mission in Thailand when the jeep he was driving broke down. Despite his considerable mechanical knowledge, he was unable to fix the problem and set out on foot to find shelter and an alternative method of transport.

After walking for almost an hour, he noticed Wat Tham Krabok in the distance and made his way there. On arrival, he was greeted at the gates by the elder monk of the temple, a monk that until this point had never spoken a word of English. The elder monk opened his arms and said ‘I have been waiting for you.’ Over the course of the next six months, the elder monk taught Monk Gordon every aspect of Buddhist life and how the temple was and should be run. Suddenly after six months, the elder monk died and Monk Gordon succeeded him as the elder monk of the temple.

He went on to explain how he completely turned his back on the Foreign Legion and his former life and instead adopted just about every aspect and principle of a Buddhist monk, even to the extreme whereby he would no longer travels on public transport, instead opting to walk the 306 kilometre round trip to Bangkok when needed.

But there were several differences between the monks of Wat Tham Krabok and that of the balance of the Buddhist order. The most obvious and noticeable difference was that they wore brown robes instead of the customary orange. Monk Gordon explained to us that this was due to the fact that they did not preach or try to enforce the principles of Buddhism on people who did not already subscribe to this way of thinking.

Instead, he spoke about something that is quite hard to put into words, but something that really hit home. He went on to describe their main philosophy as that of belief and that everybody should believe in something. You can believe in God, Buddha, Allah or any other figure head of a religious body if you want but it was not necessary to be religious or spiritual. Your belief could be a set of principles of how to lead a good life that benefited not only you but the others around you. Your belief could be that you believed in your parents, your mother and father and your family. The manner and topic of his speech was very profound but made so much sense in a very simplistic way.

If this was not enough, Monk Gordon then confided in us that the temple was not your average run of the mill temple. It was in fact a rehab centre, which at any one time could accommodate up to a thousand patients. At this point he offered to show us around the whole complex and further explain how the rehab centre worked.

While on a pretty detailed tour, Monk Gordon spoke to us at length about the rehab centre and why, as Stine pointed out, that all the other monks carried two way radios! He explained that while they dealt with all forms of addiction, drug abuse was the main reason for patients to be admitted to the temple. He told us of their de-tox method, which involved patients going cold turkey in solidarity confinement for the first ten days of arrival while being fed a green liquidised herbal drink which cleansed their internal system completely.

From there, the new resident would join the larger community of the temple, however I couldn’t help but feel that they were treated more like inmates than patients. The dwelling quarters were at best described as fair while their exercise area resembled that of a school playground, a medium sized piece of concrete that was fenced in from all sides, with all four entrances/exits equipped with a lock and chain.

Monk Gordon explained to us that drug abuse was a massive problem in the Lop Buri area as in the surrounding hills, the Thai opium dealers grew and cultivated their product for sale to the general public. In being the head of the temple and therefore the rehab centre, he had become a sworn enemy of the drug dealers and as such had a substantial bounty on his head. In order to protect him and the other monks, they had set up their own security detail which monitored the perimeter of the temple grounds and therefore needed the two way radios to keep close contact.

After spending just over two hours with Monk Gordon, it was time to return to our tuk-tuk and continue our tour. We thanked him again for his time and made a small donation to the running of the temple. In return Monk Gordon gave us a phone number, a number that he claimed could be reached at all times. His parting words to us were that if we were ever in trouble, any where in the world, that we were to call this number. His monastery allegedly had a worldwide network that would be able to collect you from anywhere in the world and get us to the safety of Wat Tham Krabok temple within seventy-two hours.

As we pulled away from the temple, my mind went into overdrive. I had been still coming to terms with the Aids Hospice when we arrived at Wat Tham Krabok and was certainly not prepared for what we experienced. The talk given by Monk Gordon about religion, spirituality and the whole concept of belief really hit home and made so much sense but the rehab center, drug dealers, monks with two way radios and Monk Gordon having a price on his head was to say the least, bizarre. After openly discussing it between the four of us, we couldn’t and still can’t work out whether it was all true and above board or whether he was actually the head of the local drug cartel who had fronted an extreme and elaborate cover to his drug running business.

We had only one stop left on our itinerary, the Buddha footprint. Based on our experience at our first two ports of call, we were expecting a lot from our final destination. Unfortunately, we were greatly disappointed. The Buddha’s footprint was situated in a grand temple full of statues and images of the Buddha and in the centre was an extremely large gold piece in the shape of a footprint. We spoke to nobody at the temple because there was nobody there to speak to. After spending over two hours with Lenie at the Aids Hospice and over two hours with Monk Gordon at Wat Tham Krabok, we spent the grand total of two minutes at the Buddha’s footprint and swiftly returned to out tuk-tuk driver for our drive home to Lop Buri.

Comment

Neither will have a clue as to the actual root cause but one can refer you to the person who can...
                        One will have a lot of experience in treating similar injuries and will have a hole host of training & stretching remedies that will hopefully alleviate the need to go to a consultant, the other will want to proscribe you painkillers and will probably zero relevant experience.

Comment

Ah Monk Gordon I remember that. I recall looking into him and that place after you first posted it, the only thing I can recall now from reading about that place is dodginess.

Comment

wow that AIDS visit was deeply moving, took me a while to refocus on Monk Gordon. I remember hearing Christie Dignam talking about his heroin detox in Thailand and apparently it was absolutely brutal. Lovely writing Lao Lao!
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Great writing LL. I enjoyed the double bill, which was a brave but ultimately successful move. If it was just the Aids story we'd all be depressed now, but I'm actually looking at booking flights to Mexico now in search of adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                Any recommendations for a shop a sofa (B+M) that's not IKEA?
                                Finline Furniture - made in Ireland, sold on the Long Mile Road.

Comment

Watched 50 mins of the women's triathlon last night and set the rest to record as wanted to get up at 6.30 for a run.

Just couldn't get out of bed though, body felt like concrete. Bashed the alarm and woke up at the normal time to an immediate spoiler lol.

Delighted for Bermuda, I'd say there's some celebrations.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I've never really watched a triathlon in full.
                                    Would there not be a 'peloton effect' in the cycling leg nullifying any advantage you've gained in the swimming?
                                    e.g., you win the swimming by 1 minute, thus start off cycling first but because you are on your own you get reeled in very quickly as we see in the TdF all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Finline Furniture - made in Ireland, sold on the Long Mile Road.
                                      are these decent value? We were out there a few months ago and I was pretty much bowled over by the prices that they were charging.

So much so that we've put "buying a couch" back at the end of the list of things we're going to need for the house. Will make do with our pokey 2 seater that's been in storage since Sept for a little bit.

Comment

If you have small children, do not buy a decent couch. Or anything else for that matter.

They rival the Luftwaffe for sheer destructive force.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

are these decent value? We were out there a few months ago and I was pretty much bowled over by the prices that they were charging.

So much so that we've put "buying a couch" back at the end of the list of things we're going to need for the house. Will make do with our pokey 2 seater that's been in storage since Sept for a little bit.
                                          decent value when "made in Ireland"? lol. doesn't that mean an automatic 100% mark up?

if you've got (or will soon have kids), just go with IKEA. you can get a nicer couch in the future

Comment

We got ours in the Furniture Liquidator in Gulliver Business Park in Santry. Very reasonable. Nice couch destroyed by kids but we got it cleaned recently and it’s like new again.
                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

BigCityBaker.com is available.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                Would there not be a 'peloton effect' in the cycling leg nullifying any advantage you've gained in the swimming?
                                                e.g., you win the swimming by 1 minute, thus start off cycling first but because you are on your own you get reeled in very quickly as we see in the TdF all the time.
                                                That’s a very good question and I think it was part of the attraction of the scaled down Olympic triathlons when it was introduced . However it also applies to the swimming, you can swim in someone slipstream which also saves you energy.
                                                That’s the theory however the big players have argued that there are pros and cons, having someone dictate your pace when you are pushing hard for a medal might not be the best tactics . I’m sure there are links on the debate somewhere. I believe the real iron men triathletes shun the practice of drafting/slipstreaming.

Comment

Finline have really nice stuff but it's very, very pricy. Des Kelly's furniture right next door is much better value.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Triathalon for the main part up to national competition level is a bike race with a run tagged on, the swim is just to soften you up. Top swimmers can be out of the water a few minutes ahead of mid pack and that can usually be picked up easily on by a good cyclist to create a lead that a mid pack runner can hold on to. Important to note that its only at the top level that drafting is allowed on the bike section, in the majority of competitions cyclists are racing a time trial where there are penalties for sitting in behind another rider.

At the very top level though where drafting is allowed you can get situations like what happened in the Womens tri last night where the swim was decisive. Last night an ideal sized group of front of pack swimmers got out of the water and through Transition 1 c.35 seconds ahead of the bunch and because the bike course was wet and tight they were able to work that group into an minute plus lead on the first lap that they increased slowly all through the cycle so that the three medal positions were a minute plus ahead through the run.
                                                    On the other hand in the mens a bigger group got away initially but but were not able to stay away so that from the second lap on everyone had accepted that the medals were going to the best runner.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

On that note, I have a house heating question:

Am I right in thinking that it used to be the world's worst heating decision to go with electric heating in a house and now its switching to being the world's best heating decision? I've heard conflicting views all in the last week!

Comment

Very new to watching it myself. That British athlete stormed the swim last night, she was only 20 seconds slower than Blumenfelt's swim from the men's which is astonishing.

You'd have to imagine such a power move would thin the field overall, in terms of medal hopefuls.

Comment

I've grown to deeply love Stephen King as an author, despite not liking him originally. For those of you in the same camp looking for your summer read, his new book, Billy Summers, is out next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            I've grown to deeply love Stephen King as an author, despite not liking him originally. For those of you in the same camp looking for your summer read, his new book, Billy Summers, is out next week.
                                                            Been a fan since I was a teenager.

Have you read the Dark Tower series yet?

Comment

Been a fan since I was a teenager.

Have you read the Dark Tower series yet?
                                                              oh my god, i haven't, and it looks amazing.

It was only when DP posted here a few years ago about his time travel novel (still easily one of the best novels I've read), that I started considering him as a non-horror writer.

Comment

oh my god, i haven't, and it looks amazing.

It was only when DP posted here a few years ago about his time travel novel (still easily one of the best novels I've read), that I started considering him as a non-horror writer.
                                                                What's the name of his time travel novel?

Comment

Today's graph - the cost to ship a shipping container from Shanghai to LA. Capture.PNG

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                    Great writing LL. I enjoyed the double bill, which was a brave but ultimately successful move. If it was just the Aids story we'd all be depressed now, but I'm actually looking at booking flights to Mexico now in search of adventure.
                                                                    Yeah, there is more on the Lop Buri chapter so I was both weary of having too many installments/having too long installments/leaving people depressed all at the same time.

I'll need to go through the balance of it to see if I can fit it into one more part later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What's the name of his time travel novel?
                                                                      This one. Its so good.

Comment

I love the Bachman books, read them so many times as a teenager I could recount the whole plot to all four now.
                                                                        Last edited by Hectorjelly; 27-07-21, 13:07.

Comment

On a similar note, this is a incredible book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short, action-packed and brilliantly told.

Comment

New Viper's Vax https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuplDAmFC1A
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                              Today's graph - the cost to ship a shipping container from Shanghai to LA. Capture.PNG

Sadly, that doesn't reflect the actual rates paid to get cargo moving - On top of those figures, there are thousands of dollars in extra surcharges/premium fees that aren't included in the freight indexes.

Rates in/around $20K per 40' are not uncommon on the Trans-Pacific and the worst I heard only last week was $32K per 40' from Shanghai to Chicago railhead which the importer paid as it had to move on a certain date.

It's absolute madness out there, no trade lane is immune from it and it looks like it will last until Q2 2022 at this rate.

Comment

Bring your bbq. Weds good for you?
                                                                                Just home after a nice few days.Sunday was beautiful, sitting in the sun eating and drinking...as for yesterday, not one place setup for the rain, maybe the council wont allow marques or kerry people are too mane to buy them, makes no sense.

Speaking of BBQ, we found a place last night, literally sniffed it out, just off the square behind the Kerry Butter Market, KBM BBQ, nice covered are and all the food is cooked on charcoal, black sole was very good. Brewhouse bar also very reasonable for lunch, great pastrami sambo.

Enjoy kerry, hope the rain stays off, for a place that gets so much rain, we really are poorly setup for it.

PXL-20210726-112436813.jpg
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                  not one place setup for the rain, maybe the council wont allow marques or kerry people are too mane to buy them, makes no sense.
                                                                                  They're so used to elderly Americans who want to sit inside and eat spud and steaks, it just hasn't popped up on their radar. The normal target market isn't us.

Comment

read his latest "the outsider" and thought it was poor tbh. i did enjoy 11/22/63 though. i think he can be really hit and miss which makes sense considering the quantity of material he's released

Comment

On that note, I have a house heating question:

Am I right in thinking that it used to be the world's worst heating decision to go with electric heating in a house and now its switching to being the world's best heating decision? I've heard conflicting views all in the last week!
                                                                                      Houses are getting sealed and insulated better, mechanical ventilation used (HRV's or ERV's) instead of holes in the wall you'll see in older Irish houses.

- Electric baseboard heaters are cheap but very inefficient.
                                                                                      - Heat pumps are very efficient but produce a lower temp so if you have a drafty house it'll take forever to heat it up.

Both meaning your electric bill will be higher

If you want to use electric heat, your house needs to be sealed tight, insulated well and use mechanical ventilation and then you can get into electric heat vs gas fired. Rental apartment developers love the idea of electric heat, lower cost (no boilers, pumps, piping, maintenance, etc.) and they pass the running cost onto the tenant. If it's for environmental reasons, the electricity is still coming from somewhere, if you live where the grid is powered by Hydro or nuclear you're reducing your carbon emissions, if not, well they're still burning fossil fuels to produce your electricity. Also if everyone was to switch you're back to the issue that the electric grids in most places are not ready for the increasing demand.
                                                                                      Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 27-07-21, 14:39.

Comment

Thanks Charlie, thats interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

read his latest "the outsider" and thought it was poor tbh. i did enjoy 11/22/63 though. i think he can be really hit and miss which makes sense considering the quantity of material he's released
                                                                                          Reading that now actually, nearly finished.
                                                                                          Starts out well with an intriguing situation but not great overall.

Would love to see his take on a sci fi novel.

Also reading Apeirogon - not really a page turner but enjoying it nonetheless. Like the style he wrote it in, suits the subject matter.

A most wanted man - just ok

Comment

Just home after a nice few days.Sunday was beautiful, sitting in the sun eating and drinking...as for yesterday, not one place setup for the rain, maybe the council wont allow marques or kerry people are too mane to buy them, makes no sense.

Speaking of BBQ, we found a place last night, literally sniffed it out, just off the square behind the Kerry Butter Market, KBM BBQ, nice covered are and all the food is cooked on charcoal, black sole was very good. Brewhouse bar also very reasonable for lunch, great pastrami sambo.

Enjoy kerry, hope the rain stays off, for a place that gets so much rain, we really are poorly setup for it.

PXL-20210726-112436813.jpg

Theres a lot goes into the perfect cone.
                                                                                            Firstly the UGT mix should be Angelito nothing like it, smooth and creamy.
                                                                                            Machine must be spotless inside/outside obviously.
                                                                                            All parts broken down and seals lubed.
                                                                                            Theres an air intake valve that can be adjusted for optimum
                                                                                            performance.
                                                                                            Mix should be stirred a few times a day and the
                                                                                            aerated foam scraped off with a spatula.
                                                                                            The temp needs to be just right on the pull
                                                                                            Not too cold as it's not a nice texture and definitely
                                                                                            not runny.
                                                                                            3 1/2 swirls then sitting snugly on the cone and not bulging out randomly like that monstrosity

As for shrimp...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Sadly, that doesn't reflect the actual rates paid to get cargo moving - On top of those figures, there are thousands of dollars in extra surcharges/premium fees that aren't included in the freight indexes.

Rates in/around $20K per 40' are not uncommon on the Trans-Pacific and the worst I heard only last week was $32K per 40' from Shanghai to Chicago railhead which the importer paid as it had to move on a certain date.

It's absolute madness out there, no trade lane is immune from it and it looks like it will last until Q2 2022 at this rate.
                                                                                              What are the drivers of these huge cost increases Lao?

Comment

Kerry was like a dream late last week. Waterville was like Monte Carlo. Waterville Golf Links was superb.

IMG-20210723-WA0042.jpg

Comment

What are the drivers of these huge cost increases Lao?
                                                                                                  Supply and demand.
                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    Was inside a restaurant for lunch today. No question of digital vaccination certs arose.
                                                                                                    I was invited into a place to eat yesterday and the terrace was solidly booked for the night, but the whole restaurant inside was practically empty, they had the whole cert checking down.
                                                                                                    Somebody will report your place, I wonder how many places are actually checking vs not.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        I was invited into a place to eat yesterday and the terrace was solidly booked for the night, but the whole restaurant inside was practically empty, they had the whole cert checking down.
                                                                                                        Somebody will report your place, I wonder how many places are actually checking vs not.
                                                                                                        I like to think they were all at the outside tables whispering to their kids 'you see that man they keep inside all by himself, that's the vegan, remember kids - veganism not even once'. And this image of someone like the critic from rataouille bringing a spoon of lentils up for a long slow sip. End scene.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-07-21, 17:06.

Comment

German transport company must be saddling the horses at Galway today too.

Comment

Leaving Dun Laoghaire today at lunch and bus driver said, "your girlfriend blew you kisses and said she loves you, you didn't see, go tell her and I'll wait."
                                                                                                            So, a kinda crowd was watching as I went out and said I love you baby and kissed her. he was so happy then after I did. Gave me one of these:

I was out at my solicitors and they asked did I want my settlement as a banks transfer or cheque, I felt like novelty size cheque should be the way to go.

Comment

I like to think they were all at the outside tables whispering to their kids 'you see that man they keep inside all by himself, that's the vegan, remember kids - veganism not even once'. And this image of someone like the critic from rataouille bringing a spoon of lentils up for a long slow sip. End scene.
                                                                                                              Haha, I phrased that badly, I was outside too. The only ones inside were a few tourists, 50+ empty seats.

Comment

Allihies was glorious today. Didn't inflictmy offspring on the poor auld Buddhists but got them to go 'Omm' as we passed by.

Comment

Leaving Dun Laoghaire today at lunch and bus driver said, "your girlfriend blew you kisses and said she loves you, you didn't see, go tell her and I'll wait."
                                                                                                                  So, a kinda crowd was watching as I went out and said I love you baby and kissed her. he was so happy then after I did. Gave me one of these:

I was out at my solicitors and they asked did I want my settlement as a banks transfer or cheque, I felt like novelty size cheque should be the way to go.
                                                                                                                  ha, wtf. that's an unusually excellent bus driver.

Comment

ha, wtf. that's an unusually excellent bus driver.

later that day recounting the story to their respective friends..

Tar Aldarion "I cant describe how perfect it was"
                                                                                                                    Bus driver "I bleedin warned him, get back in yisser seat or I'm leavin' without ya"

Comment

2 separate inside bars yesterday and one mentioned to me "you know the craic with the vaccination passport?"..I do...grand so...end of conversation, zero contract tracing info in any place we went.
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

2 separate inside bars yesterday and one mentioned to me "you know the craic with the vaccination passport?"..I do...grand so...end of conversation, zero contract tracing info in any place we went.
                                                                                                                        Only guidelines innit

Comment

Looks great. Going to Kenmare Friday am for the waterpark so that could be an excellent lunch option.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X