Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant believe people book restaurants regularly and not bother to turn up. If it's a common occurrence people are thoughtless selfish dicks. I'd be very cap in hand if I cancel any booking I make never mind a restaurant.

Comment

Hitch, a deposit gets taken off your bill at the end. If your deposit is 50 quid and your bill is 200, you pay 150 at the end of your meal.

I know its probably super obvious but your posts dont seem like you understand this. It sounds like you think the deposit is payment for booking on top of your bill.

So far, you havent made a coherent argument for not taking a deposit. I'm really not seeing a downside to it.

Comment

That Blumenfelt is some beast. Holy fuck. Gave it absolutely everything. Some race.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't think it is just nonsense. What if its not a cash deposit but a liability. How do you sort that out through Revolut. What if you only know half of the group very well.
          Hitch - I think it would be very good for you to carefully read what you just wrote. Picking one possible scenario, that is extraordinarily unlikely, tells you literally nothing about the principle you are arguing about.

This is a common theme when you get into discussions, you just pick a side and then treat facts, logic and reason as units to send into battle without ever considering, or responding to the other side of the argument. Slow down!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

By which you mean two things happening:
            1. the long-term continuation of ZIRP
            2. a squeeze on Irish margins

I don't see either myself. Rates will eventually move off zero as inflation returns - you can see this happening in the US already. And in order for Irish margins to reduce, you would need an intensification of competition in the Irish mortgage sector. Whereas it's actually becoming less competitive with KBC and Ulster leaving.

I'll be quite happy to lock in at 1.95%, assuming Avant don't torpedo me for excessive gambooling.
            I get the impression that's what a lot of people think (and they could be right!), but I'm not so sure myself. If this thesis was right you could short bonds and make money quite quickly.

Do you think quantitative easing is inflationary or deflationary?

Comment

Feel it was such a strategic mistake to not head away for a few days around end-of-May / June, to partially discharge the stress of the last year. Keeping that stress locked up until August is just far too long.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Its mad that we might make train travel work before we improve planes.

A maglev bullet train that can reach speeds of 600 kilometers per hour has made its debut in Qingdao, China.

High-speed rail is a major priority in China, which aims to connect more of its large cities by train to reduce the time and expense required to travel around the world's most populous country.

Currently, the average high-speed train in China can run at about 350 kph, while planes fly at 800-900 kph. Trains like the one unveiled in Qingdao this week could fill a critical middle space.

Comment

Feel it was such a strategic mistake to not head away for a few days around end-of-May / June, to partially discharge the stress of the last year. Keeping that stress locked up until August is just far too long.
                  A part of each day should be devoted to a micro-vacation where you can enter a mindset that fosters decompression.
                  Like say a walk, listing to music, playing with your train set, a swim or whatever. A bit of daily selfish me time can be of benefit to many in the long run.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

A part of each day should be devoted to a micro-vacation where you can enter a mindset that fosters decompression.
                      Like say a walk, listing to music, playing with your train set, a swim or whatever. A bit daily of selfish me time can be of benefit to many in the long run.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I get the impression that's what a lot of people think (and they could be right!), but I'm not so sure myself. If this thesis was right you could short bonds and make money quite quickly.

Do you think quantitative easing is inflationary or deflationary?
                        All the classical textbooks will tell you it should be inflationary but clearly that's not been the case thus far.

Comment

Its mad that we might make train travel work before we improve planes.
                          And trains, unlike planes, generally take you straight to the city centre of your destination.

If I lived on mainland Europe, I doubt I'd take planes much at all.

Comment

back in London having to quarantine for 10 days after this was changed on the day we left for France. what a joke this government is. to be fair, other than not being able to play golf, what a time to quarantine with the olympics on all day, and the lions on the weekend. sorted!

Comment

The two swimmers from round here off at 11.20 &11.45 this morning

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                back in London having to quarantine for 10 days after this was changed on the day we left for France. what a joke this government is. to be fair, other than not being able to play golf, what a time to quarantine with the olympics on all day, and the lions on the weekend. sorted!
                                and now they've just announced they fucked up and will be changing back to no quarantine next week. fucking morons

Comment

Also have a computer question.

Have a normally fast laptop. i7 2.3Ghz processor, 16gb ram, 90gb spare space on a 470gb ssd, windows 10.

It seems to be always updating itself, so maybe this is update-related, but its become really slow to show me files in a folder. E.g. click on the download folder, which has a max of 15 files in it, and it might take 5-10 seconds to display the files in the folder.

Is there something I can check to see whats gone wrong, as its an amazing laptop normally. No lag or anything like that with programmes, just the folder opening bit. don't like to see the little beaut suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Like watching Brownlee, looking forward to the run.
                                    Enjoyed that last night the market in Yee was ridiculously skewed towards him, he was trading at odds on from the moment the leading group was caught on the cycle and once the run started he was 1.3 for loads of money. He did look very comfortable and it all seemed so much more difficult for the Norwegian but Blummenfelt wanted it more.
                                    I thought the TV coverage was dire, lots of issues with each part but flicking off to show the American taking his penalty at the moment that Blummenfelt was making his move was just brutal! surely there must have been a shot of Yee trying and failing to get back to him.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just snagged two tickets to Leopardstown for next week. Woot woot. Seems to be some sort of early sale.

Comment

Also have a computer question.
                                        Seems to be a common problem. Have you tried what is usually suggested?

How to Fix a Slow-Opening Windows Downloads Folder
                                        • Open File Explorer. ...
                                        • Right click on the Downloads shortcut in the right window pane and select Properties.
                                        • Navigate to the Customize tab.
                                        • Select "General items" from the "Optimize this folder for:" list.
                                        • Click Ok.
                                        https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...wnloads-folder
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Enjoyed that last night the market in Yee was ridiculously skewed towards him, he was trading at odds on from the moment the leading group was caught on the cycle and once the run started he was 1.3 for loads of money. He did look very comfortable and it all seemed so much more difficult for the Norwegian but Blummenfelt wanted it more.
                                          I thought the TV coverage was dire, lots of issues with each part but flicking off to show the American taking his penalty at the moment that Blummenfelt was making his move was just brutal! surely there must have been a shot of Yee trying and failing to get back to him.
                                          Apparently he always looks like it's a struggle. Just his general countenance. He did throw up afterwards . Sea Swimming and running are not good for the ol belly in that heat . I'm surprised they all didnt throw up. If you take in too much fluid it can really feck you up.

I remember being handed a bovril once post race. Lol. Wtf Downed it then immediately threw it back up. Also never EVER drink soda before a workout. I know tis obvious .

Comment

Just snagged two tickets to Leopardstown for next week. Woot woot. Seems to be some sort of early sale.
                                            Ah here this is in poor taste after what happened the druggie who fell out the window .

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Seems to be a common problem. Have you tried what is usually suggested?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...wnloads-folder
                                              Thanks! I've given it a go anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                Hitchhiker's Guide To... I thought from reading your posts that you were on a 3 week holiday to France?
                                                End of next week!

Are you heading away yourself?

Comment

PC problem - I updated my macbook with the latest OS at the weekend and ever since my external monitor is somewhat bolloxed. Seems like the edges of content are bleeding over the edges of the monitor, the writing is blurry, and the writing are enlarged slightly. Colour also sub optimal. I can only presume this is an easy fix but Ive fiddled with so much in the settings to no avail. Any guidance.
                                                  Don't know enough about mac's but assuming you haven't moved any cables it sounds like a driver issue, if its a non apple monitor I'd go to their website and download the latrest mac os driver for the model.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Capture.PNG

All the classical textbooks will tell you it should be inflationary but clearly that's not been the case thus far.
                                                    I never realised how screwed Irish mortgage holders get:

Edit - the picture is a bit hard to read - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...t-rate-europe/

Capture.PNG
                                                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-07-21, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                      Capture.PNG

I never realised how screwed Irish mortgage holders get:

Edit - the picture is a bit hard to read - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...t-rate-europe/

Capture.PNG
                                                      You will be told it's because they have to charge a premium because Irish law makes it very difficult to repossess. Probably a psychic hangover from famine time evictions.

It's not because Irish Banking is a proven cartel anyway.

Comment

Theres a genuine story about needing to assume higher risks of default compared to other countries due to still having the massive losses in our lookback window, but yeah - there's no urgency out there to fix the problems. The likes of Avant though will eat the old banks for dinner eventually.

Comment

AFAIK banks here having to keep more capital at all times. In the EU for every €1k a bank loans they have to keep €16 aside, in Ireland it's €50. We are also quite a small market so scale works against us. It's a case of a lot of issues really but I'm sure they are not too pushed to lower the price too.

18-72 months here to repossess compared with 9-12 months in the faster countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Yes. That really annoyed me too, talk about business end. A lot of times too the motorbike camera stayed broadcasting after the rider turned off the course.

5k into the run I'd have put everything I owned on a Yee win, he looked so so strong. Blumenfelt was just incredible though, that kick with a mile to go was unreal. Some heart on him, some threshold for pain.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Absolutely hosing down in West Cork. Think it's safe to say the weather has broken here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                AFAIK banks here having to keep more capital at all times. In the EU for every €1k a bank loans they have to keep €16 aside, in Ireland it's €50. We are also quite a small market so scale works against us. It's a case of a lot of issues really but I'm sure they are not too pushed to lower the price too.

18-72 months here to repossess compared with 9-12 months in the faster countries.
                                                                Yeah, I'd agree that it's three things:
                                                                1. Lack of competition in the domestic market (basically a duopoly with a few tiny tots)
                                                                2. Higher capital ratios
                                                                3. Lack of ability to efficiently enforce security
                                                                So if you want lower mortgage rates, petition your local TD to make it far easier to evict delinquent borrowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

You will be told it's because they have to charge a premium because Irish law makes it very difficult to repossess. Probably a psychic hangover from famine time evictions.

It's not because Irish Banking is a proven cartel anyway.
                                                                  I think in order, it would be:
                                                                  1. capital ratios
                                                                  2. cartelism\lack of competition
                                                                  3. ability to enforce security

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree that it's three things:
                                                                    1. Lack of competition in the domestic market (basically a duopoly with a few tiny tots)
                                                                    2. Higher capital ratios
                                                                    3. Lack of ability to efficiently enforce security
                                                                    So if you want lower mortgage rates, petition your local TD to make it far easier to evict delinquent borrowers.
                                                                    Would house prices not be a partial factor as well?
                                                                    e.g., bank of Rauol (Ireland) is lending 750K for a 3 bed semi in Sth County Dublin, whilst bank of Raoul (Finland branch) is lending €250K for an equivalent property in suburban Helsinki.
                                                                    If the other factors you've outlined weren't an issue, would you expect both your branches to be charging the same interest rate? (I genuinely don't know)

Comment

Its about €5000 per sqm in Helsinki based on a quick google, so €700k for a 140sqm house. You tend to see that all over Europe. Rich capital cities tend to have reasonably uniform prices with each other as they are, to some extent, sharing the same workers.

Comment

Its about €5000 per sqm in Helsinki based on a quick google, so €700k for a 140sqm house. You tend to see that all over Europe. Rich capital cities tend to have reasonably uniform prices with each other as they are, to some extent, sharing the same workers.
                                                                        Helsinki is really only expensive by the sea much like most Cities . It's very much a RENT culture for their main house of residence whilst actually owning a country home by the lakes or sharing .

Government controlled long term rentals is the ideal solution to the property/ housing crises

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Would house prices not be a partial factor as well?
                                                                          e.g., bank of Rauol (Ireland) is lending 750K for a 3 bed semi in Sth County Dublin, whilst bank of Raoul (Finland branch) is lending €250K for an equivalent property in suburban Helsinki.
                                                                          If the other factors you've outlined weren't an issue, would you expect both your branches to be charging the same interest rate? (I genuinely don't know)
                                                                          Does the Finnish borrower earn 1/3 of the Irish one?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Helsinki is really only expensive by the sea much like most Cities . It's very much a RENT culture for their main house of residence whilst actually owning a country home by the lakes or sharing .

Government controlled long term rentals is the ideal solution to the property/ housing crises
                                                                            love that style of living. same with the wife's family across the water from helsinki

Comment

Quills of Bantry resolved the underpants crisis, I'm sure you will all be relieved to hear.

Surprisingly broad range of haberdashery.

Comment

Does the Finnish borrower earn 1/3 of the Irish one?
                                                                                Hmmm, I don't know - I haven't created his/her backstory in my head yet.
                                                                                And Helsinki may not have been a great example as pointed out by Hitch, although I wonder whether that price per m2 applies to 15 kilometres away in the suburbs like Dublin or is just a centre zones thing.
                                                                                Basically my question was if the higher rates might be linked to a need to lend higher amounts, both nominally and as a multiple of average salary.
                                                                                I'm out of my depth in this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Hmmm, I don't know - I haven't created his/her backstory in my head yet.
                                                                                  And Helsinki may not have been a great example as pointed out by Hitch, although I wonder whether that price per m2 applies to 15 kilometres away in the suburbs like Dublin or is just a centre zones thing.
                                                                                  Basically my question was if the higher rates might be linked to a need to lend higher amounts, both nominally and as a multiple of average salary.
                                                                                  I'm out of my depth in this conversation.
                                                                                  Generally the higher income buyers tend to get lower rates though (as their incomes are more secure and also rise faster). And they're the ones buying the expensive houses, albeit with accordingly massive deposits.

Comment

You should find out what average LTV and LTI rates are across the Eurozone. I think you might be half onto something but for the wrong reasons.

Comment

German effeciency taking another hit today. Waiting on some steel shower trays for an urgent job. Pallet arrives. Open pallet. Full of parts for a Swiss Aircraft Company.

Genuine FML day.

You'd have to laugh.

Comment

I hope some Swiss idiot doesnt try go fitting my showers in a plane

Wonder is Zuutroy in the market for spares.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          German effeciency taking another hit today. Waiting on some steel shower trays for an urgent job. Pallet arrives. Open pallet. Full of parts for a Swiss Aircraft Company.

Genuine FML day.

You'd have to laugh.
                                                                                          German efficiency is a total myth.

Comment

Going to make a second attempt at getting a suit after a previous attempt during covid floundered because of the postal system. I feel a wee bit suspicious of how big Louis Copeland has now become, they've surely long ago taken their eyes off the ball. The internet, which has never let me down especially on the pron front, suggests that Hunter Treacy Tailors are the cool new kids in town? Hunter Treacy are decent? well-regarded? unknown?

Comment

Going to make a second attempt at getting a suit after a previous attempt during covid floundered because of the postal system. I feel a wee bit suspicious of how big Louis Copeland has now become, they've surely long ago taken their eyes off the ball. The internet, which has never let me down especially on the pron front, suggests that Hunter Treacy Tailors are the cool new kids in town? Hunter Treacy are decent? well-regarded? unknown?
                                                                                              Went into the tailors on south Anne street last week and would highly recommend, 5-6 shops beside each other and better value and service. Louis Copeland overpriced IMO.

Comment

Busy completing my thesis at the moment so trying to stay as close to my desk as possible.
                                                                                                What's your thesis on? I didn't realise you were studying something.

Comment

Theresa have you had a "Bloody Caesar" while in Canadia?
                                                                                                  Last edited by Micknail; 26-07-21, 16:37.
                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

brother's wedding on friday and I'm best man.
                                                                                                    So of course today my knee blows up like a pineapple. Needs fliud drained I'd say. Seem to remember a twinge after a 4 hour zoom meeting where I was kinda sitting awkwardly last week.
                                                                                                    Was fine Friday but got worse over weekend.
                                                                                                    Tried 3 physio places close to me but no appointments available.
                                                                                                    Went down to the hermitage A&E to get the once over and you need an appointment, an appointment for A&E.
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was inside a restaurant for lunch today. No question of digital vaccination certs arose.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                        So of course today my knee blows up like a pineapple. Needs fliud drained I'd say. Seem to remember a twinge after a 4 hour zoom meeting where I was kinda sitting awkwardly last week.
                                                                                                        Went down to the hermitage A&E to get the once over and you need an appointment, an appointment for A&E.
                                                                                                        That can't be right. Never heard of a requirement for appointment for A&E.
                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                          Was inside a restaurant for lunch today. No question of digital vaccination certs arose.
                                                                                                          Did you take that as a brutal commentary on what age you look?

Comment

Go onto Louis Copeland website (they have an excellent sale/virtual warehouse section where there is serious value to be had). I find them excellent with no quibble returns if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

That can't be right. Never heard of a requirement for appointment for A&E.
                                                                                                              Booked in for my emergency 8am tomorrow
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                Theresa have you had a "Bloody Caesar" while in Canadia?
                                                                                                                Sure have. They are just called Caesars though.

Will change your hangover life.
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                  Try this fellow
                                                                                                                  The Harmonic Confluence Healing Arts Centre is a health clinic that provides Chiropractic care for long-term pain relief.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-07-21, 17:39.

Comment

Did you take that as a brutal commentary on what age you look?
                                                                                                                    It didn't even occur to me...until now. I am returning tomorrow to punch them in their stupid faces.

Comment

What's your first port of call for a back injury?

Injured it lifting something heavy (me nob) about 4/5 weeks ago. Epicentre of pain feels hot and is in lower back slightly right of middle on right side - feels like sacro illiac may have been knocked out of whack (had that about 20 years ago)
                                                                                                                      Getting stiff pains in various parts of back and and neck also but they vary.

My first thought was physio buy usually end up hemorrhaging money with them and have a concern they wont be able to differentiate between disc issue and less serious injury = wasted money
                                                                                                                      Would a GP be better to go to first? Would they be abe to tell the difference between herniated disc and misalignment etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                        Jacks of Glengarriff didn't give any kind of bollix.

We also had the following exchange:

"How big a portion is the roast beef?"

"WHAT?" (roaring)

(Repeats question, loudly)

(Due thought is given)

"Well......" (long pause)

"It's not too big." (longer pause)

"And it's not too small."

Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                          What's your first port of call for a back injury?

Injured it lifting something heavy (me nob) about 4/5 weeks ago. Epicentre of pain feels hot and is in lower back slightly right of middle on right side - feels like sacro illiac may have been knocked out of whack (had that about 20 years ago)
                                                                                                                          Getting stiff pains in various parts of back and and neck also but they vary.

My first thought was physio buy usually end up hemorrhaging money with them and have a concern they wont be able to differentiate between disc issue and less serious injury = wasted money
                                                                                                                          Would a GP be better to go to first? Would they be abe to tell the difference between herniated disc and misalignment etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                                                                                                                          Neither will have a clue as to the actual root cause but one can refer you to the person who can...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X