Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you not got a thermostat on your immersion?

Mine's never off.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Although, it is busted at the moment, so there's that.

Never a cold shower though, other than eh, now.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Enjoyed the freak show that was the TV version.
        Source material is just so better.
        ​​​​​It's insanely good
        ​​
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Making the way through Capel Streets fantastic and eclectic eateries this season. Krewe is very solid for Sunday brunch. A slightly odd hot sauce fried chicken added to the regular eggs benedict, but almost making sense. Waffles are ridic good.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Decided to look up Motor Homes for sale, exploring the possibility of maybe investing in one next year.
            No real idea of what's involved, cost wise, as in the initial outlay.
            Was pleasantly surprised at the figures on this UK site..

Really confused though when I checked Done Deal to see the price difference. It seems you can pick up something good with relatively low mileage in the UK for less than €12k. Similar on Done Deal you're looking at a €30k outlay.

Am I missing something?

If I'm not, surely buying one in April and selling in September, rinse and repeat is a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Decided to look up Motor Homes for sale, exploring the possibility of maybe investing in one next year.
              No real idea of what's involved, cost wise, as in the initial outlay.
              Was pleasantly surprised at the figures on this UK site..
              https://www.akbrothers.co.uk/motorho...g_orderby=DESC

Really confused though when I checked Done Deal to see the price difference. It seems you can pick up something good with relatively low mileage in the UK for less than €12k. Similar on Done Deal you're looking at a €30k outlay.

Am I missing something?

If I'm not, surely buying one in April and selling in September, rinse and repeat is a no brainer.
              That's kinda cool. Can you bring those in the ferry?

Edit: there's surely a very high Irish vehicle registration tax, in the same way there is for UK-bought cars?

Comment

Weekly music update, with a sneak preview of my next EP - https://daraghthomas.medium.com/peop...e-460bee484cee

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

That's kinda cool. Can you bring those in the ferry?

Edit: there's surely a very high Irish vehicle registration tax, in the same way there is for UK-bought cars?
                  Yep, that would be the idea for Summer holidays, trips to France and beyond. Setting off then on Fridays after work around Ireland.

Spoke to a friend who suggested the current market in Ireland specifically is bonkers right now. He almost pulled the trigger on one last year for €22k, it sold a few weeks ago for €45k. He reckons though that once foreign travel opens back fully the market will right itself. In other words I shouldn't expect to be able to do the profitable rinse repeat. Although, they don't tend to lose value.

He said to buy in December this year. So many people have bought them and there will be tons of buyer remorse come Winter. Gonna have a good think about it.

I think it will be fantastic for the next five years or so with the ages of my kids.

Comment

On the vrt, yes, I would imagine so.

Still seems to be huge savings.

Comment

Lazare

I rented a camper van for the Euros in Poland in 2012. We collected it in Germany and drove to and all around Poland for two weeks.

While a two week bender with your mates is not the same thing as a family holiday, I can safely say, I never ever want to drive/stay in a camper van ever again, ever.

I reckon you should at least rent one for a holiday and make sure you like it/are happy with the set up before you pull the trigger on buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                        Lazare

I rented a camper van for the Euros in Poland in 2012. We collected it in Germany and drove to and all around Poland for two weeks.

While a two week bender with your mates is not the same thing as a family holiday, I can safely say, I never ever want to drive/stay in a camper van ever again, ever.

I reckon you should at least rent one for a holiday and make sure you like it/are happy with the set up before you pull the trigger on buying one.
                        Yeah, good shout. I'll do that.

My only experience of one was actually amazing. We drove from LA to Vegas for two nights. Stayed in a hotel but the trip back to LA sitting around drinking beers was so good.

Comment

But you trust the fridge...

Heading out the door to Kenmare for a few days, noone taking advanced bookings, walk ins only...could be either a farmers dinner of a mediteranian one.
                          Bring your bbq. Weds good for you?
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd be looking to divorce my kids if I was stuck in a campervan with them for any prolonged period of time. Reckon the feeling would be mutual.

Comment

But you trust the fridge...

Heading out the door to Kenmare for a few days, noone taking advanced bookings, walk ins only...could be either a farmers dinner of a mediteranian one.
                              All the restaurants flexin' with their current demand in order to make Ireland the first country in the world to have restaurant deposits as standard. Fuck em.
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Oleras, Found myself in Killarney for a few days, not by choice. And it is absolutely mental. Went for a trail run up Torc this morning. Tables full and a Q forming at the Gleneagle for the match that was on at 4. Took a spin around town and it was just mayhem, everywhere packed from early.

I must have contacted 10 places for a booking last week before giving up. Without a booking, I'm not going traipsing around town. Especially in this heat.

We haven't even bothered considering a meal out now, we cooked last night in the apartment and just ordered chipper for tonight. Couple of pints later with a friend in the local and hit the road tomorrow.

If you can, cook yourself is my advice. Or ring as many places as possible to get a booking. Best of luck and enjoy. Weather is tropical. Sea is like a warm bath. Unreal.

Comment

All the restaurants flexin' with their current demand in order to make Ireland the first country in the world to have restaurant deposits as standard. Fuck em.
                                  ​​​​​
                                  I would happily pay a deposit. The day they become standard will be a good day.

Why are you against them? What am I missing?

Comment

​​​​​
                                    Disagree. These anti vaccers/anti certs are booking and not turning up to disrupt. This will combat that. If you're going to turn up as planned then there should be no problem putting a deposit down. Even pre covid// during covid we have assholes all over the place booking and not even bothering to contact to cancel. Restaurants at a loss unnecessarily.
                                    Say fcuk em when you are in the restaurant business and have to deal with this crap.

Comment

Lazare

I can safely say, I never ever want to drive/stay in a camper van ever again, ever.
                                      It wouldn't be for me either, driving around with a bucket of your own shite sloshing around precariously just feet away for days on end.

They're clearly booming in popularity though - been in the news quite a lot recently, including some controversy about annoyed locals, a dearth of facilities, unethical hygiene and environmental behaviour and an us vs them sniffiness between the old school and newbies.

Comment

Have a question if anyone here works in a Garden Centre by chance, or knows someone? Regarding a new product that has landed in my lap.
                                        Last edited by Dice75; 25-07-21, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Disagree. These anti vaccers/anti certs are booking and not turning up to disrupt. This will combat that. If you're going to turn up as planned then there should be no problem putting a deposit down. Even pre covid// during covid we have assholes all over the place booking and not even bothering to contact to cancel. Restaurants at a loss unnecessarily.
                                          Say fcuk em when you are in the restaurant business and have to deal with this crap.
                                          I don't believe those cancellation stories are anyway as widespread as they are made out to be and I believe there are many good reasons to not want deposits. Why would we volunteer to become the only country in the world with a deposit-as-standard system. We have so little pro-customer protections, why would we volunteer to give up our rights for nothing in return.

Comment

We need to not be gimps. Believing tweets by lobbying businesses. They're not open a day and it's already with the moaning. Yet they were shut for a year and couldn't work out how to count calories. Something genuinely important in the national fight against obesity.

Comment

Comment

Ireland the first country in the world to have restaurant deposits as standard. Fuck em.
                                                ​​​​​

Can certainly see it becoming the standard, and it makes sense to me.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Completely forgot about this as we munched fish in Bantry. Even had a former Irish international at the table and she was raging when she realised we'd all completely missed it.
                                                  You’re a disgrace. I almost forgot about the Vodafone lions game but I didn’t forgot the hockey match. A cracking performance. Hopefully they gain some confidence and kick on from that.

That is one tough group they have. The Dutch were excellent in the second half and demolished the Indian team. Germany and Britain was a very high quality game as well.
                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

A friend of mine has had various campervans and caravans over the years he uses for holidaying in Ireland and going to festivals in the UK. Having started with a big Hymer he's gradually moved down in size He's currently in the process of getting a low miles 2018 LWB transit he bought fitted out as a camper to spec, if there was better value to be had bringing them in from the UK he'd be all over it. The main reason for downsizing the vehicles is that driving a big heavy >3L truck restricted to 80Kmph is a pain in the arse and uses up loads of time as well as being hugely expensive to run, a medium sized van and a big awning gives you just as much space and much easier driving.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'd have no problem paying a deposit upon booking or giving credit card details.

In Dublin, in particular, there is a weird phenomenon where people book multiple venues for the same date and time and then decide on the day which one to chose. It's not something I'd do but it definitely happens a lot. Combined with people just not calling to ahead to cancel (again, another big problem) it makes it extremely tough to run a restaurant. Most restaurants would refund the deposit once you give them enough notice on the cancellation, they're not looking to make money out it.

As restaurants reopen, getting staff is proving to be an issue. A lot of people have got out of the industry during Covid and I think there is going to have to be a broader conversation over not just things like deposits but about the cost of running a restaurant, the cost of food, the cost to get good staff and how that translates into the cost of your meal.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        Weather is tropical. Sea is like a warm bath. Unreal.
                                                        Some plague of jellyfish though, most of us got a sting or two today. Nothing too sore, bee sting at worst but mostly more like a nettle imo.

Comment

I don't believe those cancellation stories are anyway as widespread as they are made out to be and I believe there are many good reasons to not want deposits. Why would we volunteer to become the only country in the world with a deposit-as-standard system. We have so little pro-customer protections, why would we volunteer to give up our rights for nothing in return.
                                                          What would those reasons be?

I can see why it is necessary for preventing the no shows and it also guarantee that you have a table for when you go out. Nothing worst than being on holiday and not being able to find a decent place to eat.
                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

In other news, had two great swims this weekend.

1st one was off the pier at Sandycove beach early yesterday morning before breakfast at Bibi's in Dun Laoghaire.

2nd one was this evening just around the corner at the 40 foot. The water yesterday was by no means cold but today felt a lot warmer. Must of stayed in for the guts of a half hour.

Something about sea swimming that is good for your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

You’re a disgrace. I almost forgot about the Vodafone lions game but I didn’t forgot the hockey match. A cracking performance. Hopefully they gain some confidence and kick on from that.

That is one tough group they have. The Dutch were excellent in the second half and demolished the Indian team. Germany and Britain was a very high quality game as well.
                                                              To be brutally realistic, they have no chance. But just getting the one win already is probably over-achieving.

Heat pitchside is well over 40 (per the word from the NZ forwards coach ) and humid as hell with it.

Comment

Some plague of jellyfish though, most of us got a sting or two today. Nothing too sore, bee sting at worst but mostly more like a nettle imo.
                                                                Handy chart for you

SPOILER

Comment

In other news as well, went today to that place that HH went to to see the unusual cows. Not a cow to be seen, though a lovely spot. And they have a car park now, which makes things easier. https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/parks-outd...rk-and-gardens
                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                    In other news as well, went today to that place that HH went to to see the unusual cows. Not a cow to be seen, though a lovely spot. And they have a car park now, which makes things easier. https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/parks-outd...rk-and-gardens
                                                                    Yeah lovely place!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                      Have a question if anyone here works in a Garden Centre by chance, or knows someone? Regarding a new product that has landed in my lap.
                                                                      Is it soil related
                                                                      it’s a Mucky business

Comment

Let's do a thought exercise.

You currently pay deposits on things like renting an apartment, or taking out a utility contact for the first time.

Would you, if given a choice, prefer to not have given real estate agents and utility companies that power? So why would you want to give another business sector this power.

Why would customers hand over power to a business section that will eventually find a way to screw them out of the new power imbalance.
                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-07-21, 20:51.

Comment

Just never volunteer to give profit-maximising enterprises more power over you. Its a basic life rule.

Now if indeed restaurants were to fall 10% in the next year due to financial pressures (spoiler: this won't happen), then we can reconsider things.

Comment

Handy chart for you

SPOILER
                                                                            There's tons of the harmless white blobby ones but also quite a few compass jellyfish that are doing the stinging.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

What would those reasons be?

I can see why it is necessary for preventing the no shows and it also guarantee that you have a table for when you go out. Nothing worst than being on holiday and not being able to find a decent place to eat.
                                                                              Lets say: you're 18, booking on behalf of your 4 mates. Deposit is €30 a head. You don't make as much as your friends parents but don't want to appear like a cheapskate, but don't have access to €120. And what if one of your party doesn't turn up.

Sure, there's solutions to this. Just ask your friends. Etc. But I'd be pretty pissed off as that 18 year old if Lao Lao was saying 'oh sure have deposits because I've got loads of money'. Not everyone has spare money. So why would we volunteer to have a problem that we currently don't have.

Comment

In other news, had two great swims this weekend.

1st one was off the pier at Sandycove beach early yesterday morning before breakfast at Bibi's in Dun Laoghaire.

2nd one was this evening just around the corner at the 40 foot. The water yesterday was by no means cold but today felt a lot warmer. Must of stayed in for the guts of a half hour.

Something about sea swimming that is good for your soul.
                                                                                Girlfriend lives in Sandycove very near the sea. She's been swimming in there every day, great spot this time of year - been loving it like you. Even meetups she planned with friends have been swimming there since the sun came about. She is perfectly tanned now and of course I am as white as ever. She was probably sunbathing while you swam, after the vaccine taking away a swimming arm today.

Comment

Not a big darts fans but the Belgian cheering his opponent on the stage before the match is just stupid. You are already conceding. Friends should be foes during these games.

For Restaurant deposits . 50 quid a booking seems fair . ( not per head obv)

Comment

Triathlon at 10.30 for anyone interested

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Girlfriend lives in Sandycove very near the sea. She's been swimming in there every day, great spot this time of year - been loving it like you. Even meetups she planned with friends have been swimming there since the sun came about. She is perfectly tanned now and of course I am as white as ever. She was probably sunbathing while you swam, after the vaccine taking away a swimming arm today.
                                                                                      My feet have finally started peeling. Forgot to apply ahead of Skerries dip last week. I was like an upside down lighthouse.

Comment

Meet you at the garage .

Comment

To be brutally realistic, they have no chance. But just getting the one win already is probably over-achieving.

Heat pitchside is well over 40 (per the word from the NZ forwards coach ) and humid as hell with it.
                                                                                          Of course they don’t have a chance of winning but one more win could get them a quarter final slot. Beat the Indians (or the Brits for added spice) and it’s a great Olympics for them.

You don’t watch the Olympics for the gold medal matches imo.

I watched the Turkish women beat the Chinese in volleyball this morning (they have almost zero chance of winning gold but it was a fab game) and a cracking weight lifting contest today and in particular watching the young Italian nick a bronze medal was immense (he was probably doing well to land top 5 on paper but picked his weights well and performed and then others going for gold blew up and he scoops a bronze).
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Meet you at the garage .
                                                                                            Just grabbing me togs

Comment

Of course they don’t have a chance of winning but one more win could get them a quarter final slot. Beat the Indians (or the Brits for added spice) and it’s a great Olympics for them.

You don’t watch the Olympics for the gold medal matches imo.

I watched the Turkish women beat the Chinese in volleyball this morning (they have almost zero chance of winning gold but it was a fab game) and a cracking weight lifting contest today and in particular watching the young Italian nick a bronze medal was immense (he was probably doing well to land top 5 on paper but picked his weights well and performed and then others going for gold blew up and he scoops a bronze).
                                                                                              That is true, the essence of the Big Show.

I caught some 18 y/o Tunisian shocking the field in Lane 8 to win the men's 400m freestyle. Beautiful.

Comment

Will you be rooting for the Brits?

Comment

False start! Seemed to take the Eurosport commentators a while to spot it.

I was wondering wtf was going on

Comment

False start! Seemed to take the Eurosport commentators a while to spot it.

I was wondering wtf was going on
                                                                                                    Ryle Nugent sure is getting around. Women’s diving and now the triathlon. Walked away from the cushy number with RTE took a bit of balls….

Comment

Will you be rooting for the Brits?
                                                                                                      Like watching Brownlee, looking forward to the run.

Comment

Ryle Nugent sure is getting around. Women’s diving and now the triathlon. Walked away from the cushy number with RTE took a bit of balls….
                                                                                                        It was strange not hearing him mention the Irish lad, obv a pro understanding his audience.

Comment

It was strange not hearing him mention the Irish lad, obv a pro understanding his audience.
                                                                                                          I’m sure he’ll give him a shout out later on. I was wondering would he get the sevens later today but he’s not covering it on the circuit so I’d say it’ll be some of the usuals doing that.

I’m not going to stick around for the triathlon tbh. I’m setting my clock for 3.00am to see how the lads go against SA in the 7s. Then packing a bit for a few days in Donegal.

Comment

Lets say: you're 18, booking on behalf of your 4 mates. Deposit is €30 a head. You don't make as much as your friends parents but don't want to appear like a cheapskate, but don't have access to €120. And what if one of your party doesn't turn up.

Sure, there's solutions to this. Just ask your friends. Etc. But I'd be pretty pissed off as that 18 year old if Lao Lao was saying 'oh sure have deposits because I've got loads of money'. Not everyone has spare money. So why would we volunteer to have a problem that we currently don't have.

This is just nonsense.

If I book a restaurant for me and my friends, I'm not expected to pay for the full meal, so why would I be expected to pay the full deposit. All your young cool 18 year olds have Revolut and such like so they can send their mate doing the booking the required deposit quicker than the time it takes them to make the booking.

If you can afford to go out for the meal in the first place, you can afford the deposit which will be a small portion of the total cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

It's the handiest place to swim on the southside (Seapoint is a right wade out when the tide is out) but it does also attract quite an eclectic crowd. I prefer Vico but it is a bit more of a trek to get there.

As I was leaving this evening, there was 4 or 5 girls and two lads sitting up on the grass at the coast road. One of the girls started jumping up and down and screeching. Apparently a spider had somehow gotten into her dress and she couldn't get it out.

Only one thing for it, take the dress off and shake it out. She technically had underwear on, but it was the most minimal amount of clothing ever and the top part of the outfit was struggling to contain its contents as she jumped up and down. It's hard to walk straight at somebody and look the other way

Pretty sure it wasn't your girlfriend though, she didn't have a great tan...

Comment

I’m sure he’ll give him a shout out later on. I was wondering would he get the sevens later today but he’s not covering it on the circuit so I’d say it’ll be some of the usuals doing that.

I’m not going to stick around for the triathlon tbh. I’m setting my clock for 3.00am to see how the lads go against SA in the 7s. Then packing a bit for a few days in Donegal.
                                                                                                                Nice, enjoy Olly

Comment

This is just nonsense.

If I book a restaurant for me and my friends, I'm not expected to pay for the full meal, so why would I be expected to pay the full deposit. All your young cool 18 year olds have Revolut and such like so they can send their mate doing the booking the required deposit quicker than the time it takes them to make the booking.

If you can afford to go out for the meal in the first place, you can afford the deposit which will be a small portion of the total cost.
                                                                                                                  I don't think it is just nonsense. What if its not a cash deposit but a liability. How do you sort that out through Revolut. What if you only know half of the group very well.

As I said, we are volunteering for a problem we don't need to take on. There will be absolutely loads of other unintended consequences, which is why no other country in the world has this system as their standard.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1698475&d=1627251585&type=thumb Declan O'Rourke wrote a song about this amazing lady. We are not worthy.
                                                                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                                                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I don't think it is just nonsense. What if its not a cash deposit but a liability. How do you sort that out through Revolut. What if you only know half of the group very well.

As I said, we are volunteering for a problem we don't need to take on. There will be absolutely loads of other unintended consequences, which is why no other country in the world has this system as their standard.

How is it a liability? It's a deposit. If you cancel within a reasonable time (which you will be notified of when you book) you will get your deposit back, this isn't restaurants trying to make money out of it, it's them trying to get people to stop doing the following

A)booking multiple places for the same date/time
                                                                                                                      B)just not turning up without cancelling in advance

What if you only know half the group very well? You only need a mobile number to transfer on Revolut so even if you don't know them well, they can super easily still transfer you the deposit.

Let's turn this around

Why do you think the big bad Irish restaurant cartel want to bring in deposits? What do you think they will gain from it and how will we, poor Joe public, be enslaved to their fiendish ways, never able to break free from the shackles?

Comment

Comment

You're campaigning for the right to book somewhere and then not bother to turn up, Hitch. I'm not sure that's a position worth defending.

What do you mean about us becoming the first country to make this a standard?
                                                                                                                          Is there some legislation behind it that I've missed?
                                                                                                                          I assumed it was just some restaurants taking it upon themselves to have this as a policy.
                                                                                                                          Long term, in a normal post-Covid society, not very place will be able to do this. Some won't be popular enough, others will decide that getting 60% of 100 'free' bookings to turn up every day is better than only getting 20 paid-deposit bookings but them all turning up. Others will probably go as far as to make it a promotional point that they don't have such a deposit policy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X