Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots of types of meditation with different purposes. So it brings up the question of what does "take you out of it" mean. Mindfulness meditation for example which has an object at the foreground of awareness (such as the breath) also usually has a background awareness of other phenomena that arise. If another phenomenon enters awareness then that's fine, from a mindfulness perspective that's not in any way a problem or something that "shouldn't" happen. So there is no being taken out of mindfulness in this case.

Now one can get quite absorbed, although not very likely if just doing 20-odd minute meditations. When absorbed something external can enter awareness in a jarring way, but it's quite easy to return to absorption after it. And if one is deep in absorption then it takes a lot to break that absorption. Indeed at the deepest levels of it you don't even have perceptions if sounds occur etc.

The traditional Buddhist instruction for mindfulness of breathing starts with finding a secluded place in a forest. Which is hardly practical. Although I was meditating under a tree last night. It is helpful to have a room you do it in and indicate that you don't wish to be disturbed, perhaps by hanging something on the outside door handle which indicates you're meditating.

Speaking of which, must go, I'm running an online meditation at 1:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Love this stuff. To mess with instinct here is another.

If there is a disease where usually 0.1% of the population get it, and you test positive in a test with a 99% accuracy in saying who does have the disease and incorrectly identify 1% of people who don't have the disease. What chance is there that you have the disease when you test positive? What about after 2 tests?
      SPOILER
      So if the test is 99% accurate, but gives off 1% false positives.

So, .1% of the population is 1/1000 people.

The test will give a positive reading to 1% of 1000 people, so 10.

So if you get a positive result you are part of a cohort of 10 people, and you can expect 1 of you to have the disease. So 10%

If you get two positives in a row, the chance of being sick is 1 - the chance of being well

The chance of being well is 90% * 90%, 8100/10,000

Chance of being sick: 1 - 81/100 = 19/100

19%

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Genuine questions for the gopro Meditators. Does a fart/belch/hiccup take you out of it for a second or two. I expect not. However what if you are deep in this sate and you are jerked out of it suddenly. Does it have a negative physical/mental effect? Experiences of this? I’m presuming there is a hit in this regard. With this in mind , do you lock yourself away somewhere if you are going deep ? What are the DOs/Don’t to protect yourself in general.
        How often do you do any of those three things? Usually they are a response to something, you don't often suffer spontaneous hiccups.

Comment

You might remember I posted on here a while ago about €750 a month mortgage life insurance?

Asked for a rethink from the same company after 30th June as it was then 12 months since last smoking so i counted as a non-smoker from that point.

Rate fell to €320 a month.

Still loads, but wowsers, smoking while heart fallible clearly doesn't stack up well on the actuarial tables!
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

How often do you do any of those three things? Usually they are a response to something, you don't often suffer spontaneous hiccups.
            Farts 17 times a day. 28 on weekends
            hiccups 4 bouts a week usually 43 hiccups per bout then I wind down a bit to 3 a minute , it then goes away when I remember my bank statement
            Belches - I threw that in there for any belchers out there .

As Ronaldo sez dont drink coke drink water.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              You might remember I posted on here a while ago about €750 a month mortgage life insurance?

Asked for a rethink from the same company after 30th June as it was then 12 months since last smoking so i counted as a non-smoker from that point.

Still loads, but wowsers, smoking while heart fallible clearly doesn't stack up well on the actuarial tables!
              I'll double check but I think mine was €100.

For the year
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Still mental considering your ages?

Ours is ~40 quid a month
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Farts 17 times a day. 28 on weekends
                  hiccups 4 bouts a week usually 43 hiccups per bout then I wind down a bit to 3 a minute , it then goes away when I remember my bank statement
                  Belches - I threw that in there for any belchers out there .

As Ronaldo sez dont drink coke drink water.
                  The only time I belch is on my morning commute (bike), must be something to do with just having ingested a pile of coffee and being in motion.

A really deep, from the gut, belch too. Feels good.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ours is ~40 quid a month
                    Have a friend who's spouse is the only one with cover. She has auto-immune hepatitis and no provider will touch her with a barge pole. Significant loading for health insurance too I believe but work covers that.

Comment

Ours is ~40 quid a month
                      ah. I've no conceptualisation tbh. Its aviva, so not some dodgy crowd, so that must be what they think is a valid amount (plus a small profit).

Comment

ah. I've no conceptualisation tbh. Its aviva, so not some dodgy crowd, so that must be what they think is a valid amount (plus a small profit).
                        well, OK then

insurers have never been known to over-quote, ever

Comment

Wait, whut?

They are in business to maximize profits - they will charge you whatever they think they can get away with - It's not a case of, 'Aul Hitch seems like a nice chap, let's plus a small profit on a very reasonable & modest cost price.'

Comment

ha.

I just meant that they might be valid reasons for the quote. But I've genuinely no idea what the estimation approach is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

SPOILER
                              So if the test is 99% accurate, but gives off 1% false positives.

So, .1% of the population is 1/1000 people.

The test will give a positive reading to 1% of 1000 people, so 10.

So if you get a positive result you are part of a cohort of 10 people, and you can expect 1 of you to have the disease. So 10%

If you get two positives in a row, the chance of being sick is 1 - the chance of being well

The chance of being well is 90% * 90%, 8100/10,000

Chance of being sick: 1 - 81/100 = 19/100

19%

where do you get the one in ten from?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                Each individual test is independent to others. But the chance the tests are right is not independent. That compounds.

If you take 1 test, there’s a 1 in 100 chance it’s a false positive.
                                If you take 3 tests, all positive. There’s a 1 in 100^3 chance they were all false positives. 1 in a million.
                                Yes, I’m not sure how the 0.1% of the population figures in here?

Comment

The only time I belch is on my morning commute (bike), must be something to do with just having ingested a pile of coffee and being in motion.

A really deep, from the gut, belch too. Feels good.
                                  I don't think there's many things more enjoyable than a large discomfort elimating fart.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I feel you are adopting a populist perspective here. Really - these people, each lovely in their own right, only have meaning because of circulating around the orbit of Clarkson. His blank stare as the guy with the voice talks, how he interacts with Caleb, and how comfortable he makes Caleb, the girlfriend, the farm manager, everyone else, is what gives those people their interest. I'm not putting them down, I'm just suggesting that Clarkson is the straight man that lets the others shine.

I fully assume he is a prick of the highest order, but in that show he's just great. All these little 'look how smart I am' fuckups, seems like a person who knows how to poke fun at himself. His rants at the administrators ring like rehashing old jokes rather than his real current feelings. He seems to genuinely care about the farm as a part of society, as almost a legacy project that he would like to be his mark on the earth - rather than a fast car.
                                    Populist maybe but it's by design.
                                    One thing that did strike me (apart from the fucking size of his farm) is his seemingly genuine desire to be eco friendly in his endevours
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I don't think there's many things more enjoyable than a large discomfort elimating fart.
                                      Especially when theres some bollox belching behind you on your commute

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

that's what he gets for tailgating in your wind shadow

Comment

SPOILER
                                          Mellor got it right. 9% and 91%, HJ, the first part was nearly right it would be 10 false positives and 1 true positive in 1000 people so you would be 1 of 11.
                                          For the second part you actually then include the 9% from the first time around and that is why 2 tests dramatically increase accuracy, it's called Bayes' Theorem if you want to read about it and is used everywhere, he didn't think it was important when he found it, it was found in his notes after he was dead after languishing there for a decade. The interesting thing is that naturally people will go towards DP's answer of 99% for the first test, it seems pretty obvious but isn't the case at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Obviously deep in meditation

Comment

Anyone else finding themselves excessively grumpy in this prolonged heat? Very close to telling a bunch of individuals to GFY (don't get me wrong they should GFT but now is not the time).

Comment

Ours is ~40 quid a month
                                                Yeah we were paying approx 80 a month and a few years ago did a little research.

The 80 obv payed off any mortgage if either dies.

Switched to a 40 a month which pays off mortgage and also same amount again in cash if either dies.

I food test the kids first on the rare days she cooks

Comment

Anyone else finding themselves excessively grumpy in this prolonged heat? Very close to telling a bunch of individuals to GFY (don't get me wrong they should GFT but now is not the time).
                                                  No but made sure to wear shorts in the office to keep cool... If anyone had a issue with it, would laugh in their face
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Just did the car insurance today and got a sliding scale from €1300-€430 - rediculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                      Just did the car insurance today and got a sliding scale from €1300-€430 - rediculous.
                                                      Was always told that insurance companies have to quote you, but basically if they don't "like" you they just pick a number out of their arse.
                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Your kids?

Comment

Oh Yeah. Outline of a recent WhatsApp transcript to the brother the other day getting the new McSpicy Burger.

Had a Fcukin ordering mare there at McDonald's ffs
                                                          Brother: Was it ordering off the computer screen?

No drive thru when traffic split into 2 and I had to go one way(the way i wouldn't haven't gone by choice) and held up for ages as yer one claimed her headset wasn't picking up the other queue when I got to the pay hatch. The only reason she got onto me asking order as it was so tailed backed that nobody could drive into the one that'was working'. But that's only half the story. More later.

So basically sitting just 1 car back from intercom waiting as everyone on the other queue going through fine. I think yer one was having a fu day. Then they got my order wrong!

Brother: Getting the order wrong is unforgivable

Comment

Only half what I typed posted

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Your kids?
                                                              they tell me to GFY

Comment

I see Ben & Jerry's are very much on the Hitch side of the middle East problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                  Only half what I typed posted
                                                                  Yep same happens with me on a long post or pm.

Comment

Neighbour blasting out Robbie Williams Angels and other such torture. FML.

Comment

Thieving and violence is one thing but Robbie fking William's he is 10x more times insufferable than Clarkson. They must be forced to leave the village.

Comment

"Live and Dangerous" and turn it up to 11

Comment

Great entertainer tho
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                            Great entertainer tho
                                                                            Better than Richard Marx anyway.

It's gotten worse.

Comment

Great tunes at 5 a side there by the neighborhood houses.
                                                                              Peter Andre
                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Silly Gilly you must have jinxed me SG, bro tested positive for c19 and would have frequented Pat's pub most weekends during lockdown. 1st case we've had.

Caught it at an intermediate Wicklow GAA match (that's junior B to everyone else in the country)

This new variant is something else, if it can be caught while one is outdoors.
                                                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

The dildo package in the wind neighbour?.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                    Silly Gilly you must have jinxed me SG, bro tested positive for c19 and would have frequented Pat's pub most weekends during lockdown. 1st case we've had.

Caught it at an intermediate Wicklow GAA match (that's junior B to everyone else in the country)

Is he grand? He had some sort of vaccine yet, or was still waiting?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Ah FFS, No 2 Prospective son in law who is living with us plays in that league and did have a game in your neck of the woods last week. Might use the info to put him in a tent out in the back garden tonight

Naas was good last night they put on a show like any summer meeting with bbq and music the table service for drinks was a bit slow but between owners and what I reckon was extra stable staff who stayed on it almost felt like normal... well actually nothing like normal because I backed a few decent winners and was a bit unlucky to just miss on what would have been a c. 60/1 FC in the last.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

The dildo package in the wind neighbour?.
                                                                                        Haha, I'm impressed you remember that. No, that lovely girl is getting her dildos delivered some place else these days.

Comment

Is he grand? He had some sort of vaccine yet, or was still waiting?
                                                                                          Hes fine, a lucky duck really as completely asymptomatic. He was due to get first jab soon. 5 guys got it from 20+ on the team. (Got it from a team mate)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Ah FFS, No 2 Prospective son in law who is living with us plays in that league and did have a game in your neck of the woods last week. Might use the info to put him in a tent out in the back garden tonight

Naas was good last night they put on a show like any summer meeting with bbq and music the table service for drinks was a bit slow but between owners and what I reckon was extra stable staff who stayed on it almost felt like normal... well actually nothing like normal because I backed a few decent winners and was a bit unlucky to just miss on what would have been a c. 60/1 FC in the last.
                                                                                            Absolutely SP, precautions need to be taken.

Sounds like a dream. Very jealous. Made a few quid myself, was in O Connells in Kilcullen, 2 old well-to-do gents came out of Fallons and sat at the table next to us gave 2 winners and a 2nd.Even managed to pick the winner of the last myself.Have an offer for a ticket to Galway on Thursday, but don't know if I can go yet.

Comment

Unfilmable eh?

Might return to the cinema for this

Comment

With the benefit of a few glasses of vino to aid the cognitive process, went in again on SA 3-0.

Oop de Bokke, as certain individuals of my acquaintance might say.

Comment

With the benefit of a few glasses of vino to aid the cognitive process, went in again on SA 3-0.

Oop de Bokke, as certain individuals of my acquaintance might say.
                                                                                                  I'm inclined to agree. Backing it up with no reasoning whatsoever I can see the lions being mauled. Still I hope its a competitive series and that the Irish contingent make it home in one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I'm inclined to agree. Backing it up with no reasoning whatsoever I can see the lions being mauled. Still I hope its a competitive series and that the Irish contingent make it home in one piece.
                                                                                                    I think it's the worst Lions starting XV I can ever remember.

Ali Price FFS.
                                                                                                    Wyn Jones.
                                                                                                    Hogg.
                                                                                                    A captain who'll be in the local hospital by half time.

Comment

I think it's the worst Lions starting XV I can ever remember.

Ali Price FFS.
                                                                                                      Wyn Jones.
                                                                                                      Hogg.
                                                                                                      A captain who'll be in the local hospital by half time.
                                                                                                      Just about disagree on Hogg but it's close to a flip vs Williams imo. Agreed on the rest. I can't see how it's medically possibly for Wyn Jones to play. Though I heard Keith Wood on the radio saying a gammy shoulder is grand vs a hammer that could snap at any stage.... Henshaw.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Just about disagree on Hogg but it's close to a flip vs Williams imo. Agreed on the rest. I can't see how it's medically possibly for Wyn Jones to play. Though I heard Keith Wood on the radio saying a gammy shoulder is grand vs a hammer that could snap at any stage.... Henshaw.
                                                                                                        I meant Wyn Jones the prop. He'll be eaten alive.

Wyn Jones the captain will be bated from there to Banagher.

Comment

You're probably right but for me there is so little at stake for either side that I don't like the idea of being invested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            You're probably right but for me there is so little at stake for either side that I don't like the idea of being invested in it.
                                                                                                            Ah, some of my investment is probably due to moral indignation at the series happening at all. Which I'm sure you can appreciate.

Plus I do genuinely think it's a mismatch. We shall see. Gatland has made a fool of me before.

Comment

Ah, some of my investment is probably due to moral indignation at the series happening at all. Which I'm sure you can appreciate.

Plus I do genuinely think it's a mismatch. We shall see. Gatland has made a fool of me before.
                                                                                                              Do a funky cover bet on Hogg to be man of the match.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yeah we were paying approx 80 a month and a few years ago did a little research.

The 80 obv payed off any mortgage if either dies.

Switched to a 40 a month which pays off mortgage and also same amount again in cash if either dies.

I food test the kids first on the rare days she cooks
                                                                                                                I had to fill in some forms for the work pension plan that increases the death cover to the max - quite impressive how much I am worth dead (vs how poor I am alive).

Between death in service lump sum, the value of the pension itself and the life cover for the mortgage, there'd be approaching 1.5m in lump sum cash benefit, then a decent spousal pension starting immediately too. Definitely not walking close to any cliff edges on the holidays.

Comment

so as posted https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...22#post1696714 FPL is open again

I'm not sure if it has simply reached the end of the road or just slipped peoples attention. Perhaps strewelpeter has convinced everyone that football is a crock after all.

If interest picks up in the next week or so, grand. If not I'll call time of death and we move on
                                                                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

What a fine menu item:

Smokey West Corkey Pancakes
                                                                                                                    Buttermilk pancakes, goat’s cheese cream, West Cork smoked salmon,
                                                                                                                    two free range poached eggs, fennel & radish, and pickled beets with a mustard seed,
                                                                                                                    dill & agave syrup reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                                      so as posted https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...22#post1696714

I'm not sure if it has simply reached the end of the road or just slipped peoples attention. Perhaps strewelpeter has convinced everyone that football is a crock after all.

If interest picks up in the next week or so, grand. If not I'll call time of death and we move on
                                                                                                                      You just don't know how to advertise.

Comment

You just don't know how to advertise.
                                                                                                                        think it's more a case of my earlier post..I just don't care enough one way or the other

There was a time I'd shill until I was almost banned, but it's far too warm for that kind of strenuous activity. You guys don't know how lucky you are to only be at 25-28 degrees
                                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I described a bank as 'crappy' in the newspaper a few months ago and ...

SPOILER
                                                                                                                          ... apparently that equates to expertise, as my morning was spent as an invited expert for the competition authorities about whether the crappy bank should be allowed to merge with a larger crappy bank. It just goes to show - crap sells.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X