X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Can I have a go of one hotspur?

All imho of course.

Ultra competitiveness, while lauded by society as a huge strength, is a character flaw and a weakness.

The example I always think of is Tiger Woods.

The success it brings, the lauded part, is a beneficial by product of what is fundamentally low self esteem and insecurity. A desire to prove yourself.

Conversely, people who aren't competitive or driven are viewed somewhat negatively, when in reality they're most likely content with who they are.

If happiness is life's goal, success means not being successful.
    An Orwell again. I'm going through an Orwell phase. 1984 is bleak but its mad to think of how long 1984 actually is now.. I can hardly believe its fking 2021 NOW .

Orwell - Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.

Comment

Spent the whole day yesterday on Slea Head making big Sandcastle Fortresses with moates and everything with the kids. We deffo had the biggest one on the beach.

Comment

Winning The Open Sweep will bring with it everlasting zen-like happiness.

Entries closing at 5pm today. Get on it now because you could be agonizing over you picks for quite some time.

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...pen-sweep-2021
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          Spent the whole day yesterday on Slea Head making big Sandcastle Fortresses with moates and everything with the kids. We deffo had the biggest one on the beach.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

An Orwell again. I'm going through an Orwell phase. 1984 is bleak but its mad to think of how long 1984 actually is now.. I can hardly believe its fking 2021 NOW .

Orwell - Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.

Money may buy you a fine dog but only love can make him wag his tail

Kinky Friedman
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Can I have a go of one hotspur?

All imho of course.

Ultra competitiveness, while lauded by society as a huge strength, is a character flaw and a weakness.

The example I always think of is Tiger Woods.

The success it brings, the lauded part, is a beneficial by product of what is fundamentally low self esteem and insecurity. A desire to prove yourself.

Conversely, people who aren't competitive or driven are viewed somewhat negatively, when in reality they're most likely content with who they are.

If happiness is life's goal, success means not being successful.
              Agree with you, but.

Without those people being 100% focused, obsessed, tunnel visioned, wanting to prove themselves we probably wouldn't have the likes of penicillin today, were they happy ? probably not, but we need these people for society to move forward, otherwise we would still be in caves flinging shit at each other ?

Agree they are probably not happy, not taking the time to stop and realize what is really important, family and not the job they are doing but we need them.
              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Agree with you, but.

Without those people being 100% focused, obsessed, tunnel visioned, wanting to prove themselves we probably wouldn't have the likes of penicillin today, were they happy ? probably not, but we need these people for society to move forward, otherwise we would still be in caves flinging shit at each other ?

Agree they are probably not happy, not taking the time to stop and realize what is really important, family and not the job they are doing but we need them.
                Great point Ole, you're dead right. They make the world turn.

I guess the point I'm making, in line with hotspur's brief, ie, a contrary viewpoint is that although there are positives, it's a weakness of character rather than a strength.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                  People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Money may buy you a fine dog but only love can make him wag his tail

Kinky Friedman
                    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead . - Stan Laurel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      I'm always amazed at the stock people put in their own opinion. I think deep down, most people think that they better understand just about everything, better than anyone else - which is quite remarkable if you think about it.
                      We all have a massive problem with sensemaking at the moment. We used to be quite comfortable outsourcing that task to institutions e.g. news, science and politicians. But since the internet has laid bare the omnishambles that is journalism, science and politics, we're all left with just ourselves to figure everything out. As you seem to have correctly intimated, the best way to approach that is with as much humility as you can muster. I don't have any solutions to the problem other than we have to build new, better institutions to replace the old, failing ones. Until that happens you're left with no choice but to pick a few people you trust to listen to, do your own research (ugh I hate saying that) and well, hope for the best.
                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Great point Ole, you're dead right. They make the world turn.

I guess the point I'm making, in line with hotspur's brief, ie, a contrary viewpoint is that although there are positives, it's a weakness of character rather than a strength.

Huh? I mean if you mean, a contrary viewpoint, for the sake being contrarian, I'd be inclined to agree. What do you mean by a contrary viewpoint, if you mean it as an opinion contrary to the majority obviously dont. Slavery. Earth is flat. Burn the witches. Etc etc etc.

Some of the most important people in human history have held wildly different beliefs than the accepted societal norm and were viewed as nut jobs, until the moment they are not, normally posthumous, and undoubtedly the survival of humanity will desperately depend on more of the same.

Comment

It's a view I hold that is contrary to popular opinion.

A contrarian is someone who posits contrary views for the sake of disagreement. A troll effectively.

Comment

I am not contrarian, but did have a contrary viewpoint with others on here in relation to the death penalty.

Not rehashing it as we just have to agree to disagree.
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone here works for Boylesports any more?

Comment

It's a view I hold that is contrary to popular opinion.

A contrarian is someone who posits contrary views for the sake of disagreement. A troll effectively.
                                not always?

sometimes they are just playing devil's advocate and forcing you to look at something from another perspective - which is always useful

Also; contrarian investment has worked out extremely well many times down the decades...

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

Huh? I mean if you mean, a contrary viewpoint, for the sake being contrarian, I'd be inclined to agree. What do you mean by a contrary viewpoint, if you mean it as an opinion contrary to the majority obviously dont. Slavery. Earth is flat. Burn the witches. Etc etc etc.

Some of the most important people in human history have held wildly different beliefs than the accepted societal norm and were viewed as nut jobs, until the moment they are not, normally posthumous, and undoubtedly the survival of humanity will desperately depend on more of the same.
                                  I may be reading the second paragraph wrong Sam, but it looks like you think I'm saying having a contrary view is a weakness of character?

Obviously I'm not saying that.

Comment

So I think your definition of contrarian is wrong.

For example someone shouting about Irish property being wildly overvalued in 2006. They weren't trolling 'for the sake of disagreement'.

Comment

not always?

sometimes they are just playing devil's advocate and forcing you to look at something from another perspective - which is always useful

Also; contrarian investment has worked out extremely well many times down the decades...
                                      Yeah, well nothing is 'always', speaking in generalities really.

It's of course possible to be competitive and driven for example with altruistic intentions. Building family security for instance.

Comment

yeah. contrarian is a decent thing sometimes, its not a weakness of character.
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Society progresses through small numbers of people developing contrarian opinions, working on those ideas, convincing people their idea is better than the established way, and then the contrarian idea eventually becoming the accepted idea.

E.g. equal rights for women would have been a contrarian view for a long period of time.

Comment

So I think your definition of contrarian is wrong.

For example someone shouting about Irish property being wildly overvalued in 2006. They weren't trolling 'for the sake of disagreement'.
                                            They held a contrary opinion. A contrarian is someone who constantly holds contrary opinions, and is wrong on most.

Comment

The issue I'd have is conflating societal contrarian views, with scientific contrarian views. The barrier for something being accepted as a good scientific idea is very high - so the barrier for having a contrarian view on a scientific idea should also be very high. Just about every societal idea is fair game for contrarian views.

Comment

I personally take serious (contrarian) issue with the broadly accepted societal idea that sex should be confined to be with your partner. Think its a mad idea. Theres an obvious difference between sex, where difference is important and exciting, and 'love', which is getting through a lot of things together and supporting and liking each other in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  yeah. contrarian is a decent thing sometimes, its not a weakness of character.
                                                  That's not my argument though. I never suggested being contrarian was a character weakness.

I suggested Tiger Woods has a character weakness. His untra competitiveness.

Comment

I may be reading the second paragraph wrong Sam, but it looks like you think I'm saying having a contrary view is a weakness of character?

Obviously I'm not saying that.
                                                    Yeah I misunderstood what you were saying.

Comment

I personally take serious (contrarian) issue with the broadly accepted societal idea that sex should be confined to be with your partner. Think its a mad idea. Theres an obvious difference between sex, where difference is important and exciting, and 'love', which is getting through a lot of things together and supporting and liking each other in life.
                                                      Your partner may take a contrary view of the necessity for your balls to be attached to your person if you express this at home.

Comment

That's not my argument though. I never suggested being contrarian was a character weakness.

I suggested Tiger Woods has a character weakness. His untra competitiveness.
                                                        You see a kind of thing from rich competitive people a lot, that they make the top of their ladder and their whole life revolves around work. So you see posts on reddit from people with 10s of millions who say their life feels completely empty quite a lot. They have the money to do whatever they want to do, but they never cultivated anything they actually want to do with it or their lives apart from get richer and richer with a sprinkling of being on top of something most people don't care about. It is always about "more".

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

You see a kind of thing from rich competitive people a lot, that they make the top of their ladder and their whole life revolves around work. So you see posts on reddit from people with 10s of millions who say their life feels completely empty quite a lot. They have the money to do whatever they want to do, but they never cultivated anything they actually want to do with it or their lives apart from get richer and richer with a sprinkling of being on top of something most people don't care about. It is always about "more".
                                                          Obviously the next step is 'build your own space rocket'.

Although once you've done that, where do you go next?

Comment

I agree that ultra competitiveness is a character flaw. I imagine most people probably hold that view at that level of abstraction while also perhaps admiring their being a virtuoso in a particular field that they dedicated themselves to and attained great skill in. Nothing worse than an ultra competitive person with random stuff generally.

And yeah it leads to brilliance. I believe this was a thing in Ancient Greece where competition was thought to produce the best, so they would have poetry competitions etc. So we have this strange plurality of a monomaniacal egoistic focus on (or competing in) one domain which is a character flaw, and it sometimes producing things of great benefit or interest that could not have otherwise been created.

We are about to watch a load of Olympic events which people have focused their lives on which strikes me as a ludicrous thing to do as it doesn't benefit the world or provide much entertainment (thinking hammer throw here). But focusing on curing a disease is wonderful. Not sure the penicillin discovery is a great example as that was an accident I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                              .... But since the internet has laid bare the omnishambles that is journalism, science and politics, we're all left with just ourselves to figure everything out.
                                                              Science an omnishambles you're going to have to tease that one out for me.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Obviously the next step is 'build your own space rocket'.

Although once you've done that, where do you go next?
                                                                Take up golf

Comment

cheers. I think its going 'okay'. Test next Tuesday. Still some fundamental doubts around roundabouts, but reversing seems to have somewhat cured itself. Not perfectly, but grand. Bit of an awful one-shot though on the driving test - got in quick for the test this time, but a resit could involve waiting something like six months as there's a deluge of qualified learners about to arrive. Proper pressure to not make silly mistakes!
                                                                  You'll be grand, just do a couple of pre tests with driving instructor. Hopefully you don't get a prick either.
                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Feel a bit sorry for kids with maniacally controlling parents.
                                                                    Tigers path was laid out from day 1 by his father mainly.

Read a bio on him and apparently he really enjoyed soccer at school. When his father found out he was playing he nixed it straight way as it wasnt part of his master plan for his son.
                                                                    Just completely dominated every aspect of his life.

Cant remember what the mother was like but Woods elder was presented as a right bollox by the author.

Comment

I dont see ultra competitive people as flawed. I see it as a trait. The perspective as to what is a flaw is subjective . If I'm prone to persue a meaningless skill and become the best at it for my own personal gain and that of my family . Why is that a flaw ? Let's face it , in the rat race we are all doing meaningless work. Some get caught up in it to persue the rewards they think they need for their own (initially) and family status . In my view anything destructive is a flaw.

Fk u Hotspur
                                                                      Last edited by Solksjaer!; 14-07-21, 12:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                        I'm always amazed at the stock people put in their own opinion. I think deep down, most people think that they better understand just about everything, better than anyone else - which is quite remarkable if you think about it.
                                                                        “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
                                                                        -Carlin

The problem is, no-one puts themselves in the "them" bracket
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Bastille Day. Let us duly celebrate the wonders of French-ness today. Shout out to Shraaaapp.

Personally I munched on some 28 month old Comte at lunchtime. Magnifique.

Tour de France on the background and some hairy mountains upcoming. I am personally convinced the entire event is a very prolonged tourism ad.

Comment

Tangentially related to all the topics of the last day or two I'm beginning to think that what Josha Bach is communicating (building on the work of Minsky et al) of what we can learn about mind, consciousness and our understanding of the physical and social worlds from our emerging knowledge of how to create artificial intelligence systems is a profound extension of understanding and even a game changer in a number of fields.
                                                                            He delivers with an astonishing clarity of thought that most of what we observe from psychology, neuroscience, evolutionary science and understand from centuries of philosophy can be re-evaluated now in the context of what we have discovered from building real world AI. He is refreshingly high brow without talking down and always able to break down concepts to their simplest parts. It probably helps if you have some understanding of fundamental AI and computing concepts but I think that in either of these long conversations he brings the listener along with him. It's not effort free but IMO well worth spending the attention on.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

cheers. I think its going 'okay'. Test next Tuesday. Still some fundamental doubts around roundabouts, but reversing seems to have somewhat cured itself. Not perfectly, but grand. Bit of an awful one-shot though on the driving test - got in quick for the test this time, but a resit could involve waiting something like six months as there's a deluge of qualified learners about to arrive. Proper pressure to not make silly mistakes!

What's the issue with roundabouts?

One tip ..

Be obvious when you are checking your mirrors. Slight tilt of head rather than just flicking your eyes.

Comment

On these covid passports . What's to stop scalywags like Sam simply making a counterfeit one so he can have an indoor sausage? Will restaurants /pubs wand peoples phones? Its opening next week right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                  On these covid passports . What's to stop scalywags like Sam simply making a counterfeit one so he can have an indoor sausage? Will restaurants /pubs wand peoples phones? Its opening next week right ?
                                                                                  Is it easy to counterfeit a QR code like that, surely theres something within making it identifiable that it was issued officially?

The suggestion of GP letter to allow you however is daft, if the loophole is that big theres no point.
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Rate my estate agent letter?

.................................................. ..................................

Thank you [real estate agent],

We are happy to match the existing offer of [€€€], in case the seller wants to choose between a range of potential buyers. On our side we are first-time buyers, so have no chain, and have the full finance approval, and so would be able to close almost immediately. Potentially the other bidder is in the same position, in which case we wish them the very best.

.................................................. ..................................

Essentially I'm trying to shut down a bidding war. Us and someone else, where the price has erupted over the last two days.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

What's the issue with roundabouts?

One tip ..

Be obvious when you are checking your mirrors. Slight tilt of head rather than just flicking your eyes.

Just lack of experience, so I go around them very slowly, which is a big issue in the modern test - slowness and lack of progress.

Comment

Tour de France on the background and some hairy mountains upcoming. I am personally convinced the entire event is a very prolonged tourism ad.
                                                                                        I'm always fascinated by the villages and decent-sized towns way up in the mountains in Spain/Italy/France when I watch these cycling grand tours.
                                                                                        Like in Ireland or the UK it seems to me (and I'm prepared to be wrong about this) that once you get to around 400/500 metres above sea level, all you get is the odd mud hut or thatched cottage.
                                                                                        Whereas in France etc at 1000M+ there's fully functioning towns that look to have about 2K people living there, big churches, town halls, village squares mixed with modern looking buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I'm always fascinated by the villages and decent-sized towns way up in the mountains in Spain/Italy/France when I watch these cycling grand tours.
                                                                                          Like in Ireland or the UK it seems to me (and I'm prepared to be wrong about this) that once you get to around 400/500 metres above sea level, all you get is the odd mud hut or thatched cottage.
                                                                                          Whereas in France etc at 1000M+ there's fully functioning towns that look to have about 2K people living there, big churches, town halls, village squares mixed with modern looking buildings.
                                                                                          Same in Italy and Spain.

Presumably the historical reason for siting towns up hills would have been defensive. And now they are pleasant places to live with functioning tourist industries like hiking, skiing etc.

So why didn't we island dwellers do the same....hmmm. Lack of decent mountain ranges meaning they could be easily bypassed and all the good stuff is down on the plains\valleys. My guess anyway.

Comment

We are happy to match the existing offer of [€€€], in case the seller wants to choose between a range of potential buyers. On our side we are first-time buyers, so have no chain, and have the full finance approval, and so would be able to close almost immediately. Potentially the other bidder is in the same position, in which case we wish them the very best.

Essentially I'm trying to shut down a bidding war. Us and someone else, where the price has erupted over the last two days.
                                                                                            What's the point of the last sentence? Seems superfluous at best, at worst feels like you're telling them to go with the competition. I'd remove it.

Comment

ah. just meant it as a standard 'say something nice and meaningless at the end of an email'. I was also just trying to acknowledge the reality that the other buyer may be in the precise same situation, so in which case their bid which is the exact same, would obviously have priority as the first arriving bid.

Comment

Lazare

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefor all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

​​​​​​​George Bernard shaw

Comment

ah. just meant it as a standard 'say something nice and meaningless at the end of an email'. I was also just trying to acknowledge the reality that the other buyer may be in the precise same situation, so in which case their bid which is the exact same, would obviously have priority as the first arriving bid.
                                                                                                  I’d put it in, I’m not bothered either way so don’t bother coming back looking for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I’d put it in, I’m not bothered either way so don’t bother coming back looking for more.
                                                                                                    If I read that mail and was the one making the decision, I'd give it to the other bidder!

Maybe just me.

Comment

Just lack of experience, so I go around them very slowly, which is a big issue in the modern test - slowness and lack of progress.
                                                                                                      Get in appropriate lane on your approach as early as you can.

Then put the foot down.

Comment

New Irish hip hop Odd Numbers - The Golden Wire tapes" is well worth your time
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                          I reckon most of us have beliefs about some things or doubts about things that pretty much everyone else seems to agree on or act as though they do. Maybe we should extend this over the next few weeks by having one of us each day express one of their "things" and get into dialogue about it.

I propose RDIII to kick it off. Happy to do one myself some day as I doubt some of the most fundamental things possible.
                                                                                                          I used to be convinced that my Dad had magic powers that could change the traffic lights from red to green by saying ' Ready, Steady, Change' as he flicked his fingers towards the lights, however everybody else knew that that he didn't.

Comment

Ultra Competitiveness FTW. You won't get a more gratifying feeling this weekend than besting your IPB buddies in the 2021 IPB Open Sweep
                                                                                                            Why not stick it to Strewelpeter? Hold up the L finger gesture to RDIII? Open up a can of woop ass on Wombatman?

Entries closing at 5pm Act now..........if you're tough enough.
                                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Get in appropriate lane on your approach as early as you can.

Then put the foot down.
                                                                                                              Roundabouts can be easily overcome by a combination of speed and confidence.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

You're ahead of the curve Hitch. Recently single and the number of polyamorous people must be up 20 fold on dating sites from 5-6 years ago, even know a few couples (with children) you will now openly tell everyone that they are in a poly relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                  Tangentially related to all the topics of the last day or two I'm beginning to think that what Josha Bach is communicating (building on the work of Minsky et al) of what we can learn about mind, consciousness and our understanding of the physical and social worlds from our emerging knowledge of how to create artificial intelligence systems is a profound extension of understanding and even a game changer in a number of fields.
                                                                                                                  He delivers with an astonishing clarity of thought that most of what we observe from psychology, neuroscience, evolutionary science and understand from centuries of philosophy can be re-evaluated now in the context of what we have discovered from building real world AI. He is refreshingly high brow without talking down and always able to break down concepts to their simplest parts. It probably helps if you have some understanding of fundamental AI and computing concepts but I think that in either of these long conversations he brings the listener along with him. It's not effort free but IMO well worth spending the attention on.

I don't know how anyone can listen to Lex Fridman, firstly it takes the man minutes to ask a simple question and the fact he holds Joe Rogan up as a messiah firmly places him in the high chance of being a grifter category. He's just an educated want to be a famous 'influencer' who posts corny inspirational quotes all the time. No different than the young ones you'd role your eyes at.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 14-07-21, 14:22.

Comment

BBV is back.
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I had this nonsense happen on the 2nd house I properly bid on.

I had bid something like 10k over last bid (when normal was going up in 1/2k) and the other party took a full 2 weeks to come back (d'oh should have put a time limit on accepting my offer) and at that, they only matched my bid!

I was incredulous. I felt as I was first at that figure, well either fuck off or outbid me. Genuinely let rip at the auctioneer asking was he professional. He tells me, the vendor likes the 'story' of the other buyer, just married, moving to Waterford etc.
                                                                                                                      I said that's interesting, when was all this story conveyed to the vendor, as I've never met them in about 3 viewings.

So they matched my bid, I said I'm not going higher.
                                                                                                                      They 'won' the auction.

6 weeks down the line they had pulled out as they had gone on honeymoon and now that they were back didn't want to move down the country. Auctioneer came back to me and gave me the offer to "continue at your last bid".

Quickest fuck off and hang up I've ever performed.

As to how this helps you, I'm not sure.
                                                                                                                      I get the "let's stop bidding upwards cos the price is already shite" bit, and making your position re: ease of sale as clear as possible.

​​​
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                        Ultra Competitiveness FTW. You won't get a more gratifying feeling this weekend than besting your IPB buddies in the 2021 IPB Open Sweep
                                                                                                                        Why not stick it to Strewelpeter? Hold up the L finger gesture to RDIII? Open up a can of woop ass on Wombatman?

Entries closing at 5pm Act now..........if you're tough enough.
                                                                                                                        Quoting for last chance merchants. There's also an extra sub pick so if one your four horses miss the cut you still have a chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Science an omnishambles you're going to have to tease that one out for me.
                                                                                                                          Where to start? It's not so much scientists themselves (although there are plenty of charlatans) but the places where science intersects with politics are always a complete mess. Some of the ways the WHO and CDC behaved throughout this pandemic have been pure insanity, but especially at the start. Issues of Big Pharma and regulatory capture, how research funding is directed, there's a myriad of problems really. Not saying it's as broken as journalism, obviously. Nothing is as fucked up as journalism.
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X