This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    Mellor it sounds to me like you simply don't want to change company but you don't want this decision to be costing you a lot of money in income forgone.

I think that's a great way to approach your existing employer. I'd be inclined to just say to your manager "I enjoy working here and wish to continue to do so, however I'm being approached about other jobs paying a considerable amount more. Can you close the gap so I'm not forced to actively pursue these options?" If they don't respond positively then you'll naturally find yourself loving the existing place a bit less and gravitating to the other gig so either way the problem will resolve....
    This is exactly what I have just done using too many words like disparity and market movement. I'll give them until the next pay reviews to deal with it and look around then.
    There is something to be gained, a lot to be gained, from really having a good place and colleagues to work with, but they also can't take the piss either when they know people love working there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't know, like my parents built 4 houses, including two while I was home, and one very recently, and the wife's father has built quite a few also, albeit in a different country, so we have a lot of family experience to draw on, and I guess a lack of fear of substantial development.

On the timeframe - we just don't care all that much about precise value. We've (now, after moving beyond the Bray saga) a defined area and that's maybe 70% of the criteria. We look up the prices of the houses sold recently in the area, and allow 10-15% on top for recent inflation, then walk the area a bit, look up planning decisions in the locality, get a quick feel of the house, and then bid. What more is there? We'll probably use this home to get experience of development and to get to the schools easily and leave it after a few years.
      We built our own family house. I was general unskilled labour on building sites and carpentry projects for most of my teenage years.

I still wouldn’t dream of taking on a major refurb project without a shit load of cash and an architect and site manager to run the project for me….

You don’t strike me as the sort of guy who’ll enjoy chasing tradesman and suppliers and if you are taking on a big project you’re best to have access to ready cash ala RDIII and then remortgage afterwards as other wise dealing with the bank will be pretty painful. Ask anyone who went down the self build mortgage route about how much fun that was…

I wish you luck and I would just caution that your seem to have tired yourself out and as a result are willing to settle for something that could dominate the next 3 years of your life…

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

You can invest money in a pension arrangement and get no immediate tax relief. You can claim tax relief in the future on future taxed income. So throw in a lump sum and get tax free growth from day one and claim the tax relief against other future taxable income.

However, I wouldn't put money in and not claim income tax relief unless I wasn't going to pay income tax on the way out.

Say I'm already maxing my AVCs and pension contributions on my taxable income and I'm going to continue to do so. Then it's pretty unlikely I'd throw in an extra 50k and never claim the tax relief because ultimately i have to pay tax on the income drawn down from a pension so that extra 50k plus growth would ultimately be subject to my marginal income tax rate in retirement and if I'm paying income tax at that stage, I'm effectively volunteering income tax on what was originally non taxable income.
        I really wish I knew what most what meant. I'm such a dullard when it comes to tax and stuff like that. Pensions I have a reasonable grasp of (for a lay person, obviously nothing compared to your good self) but tax relief and claiming stuff is like black magic to me.

Comment

Second vax appointment for that new place in swords received just there as well, for next Tuesday evening. Interesting to compare the experience vs the helix. 5 weeks exactly between doses for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Hows the one on Kill Avenue going, anywhere near my line yet?
            Still stuck at 580k
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

We built our own family house. I was general unskilled labour on building sites and carpentry projects for most of my teenage years.

I still wouldn’t dream of taking on a major refurb project without a shit load of cash and an architect and site manager to run the project for me….

You don’t strike me as the sort of guy who’ll enjoy chasing tradesman and suppliers and if you are taking on a big project you’re best to have access to ready cash ala RDIII and then remortgage afterwards as other wise dealing with the bank will be pretty painful. Ask anyone who went down the self build mortgage route about how much fun that was…

I wish you luck and I would just caution that your seem to have tired yourself out and as a result are willing to settle for something that could dominate the next 3 years of your life…
              I feel its my forte.

Comment

About to start a course to be a certified designer in a metaverse. Its been some year.

Comment

I feel its my forte.
                  Well good luck so! I’ve clearly read you wrong on this one.
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Well good luck so! I’ve clearly read you wrong on this one.
                    I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not. But I'm brutally effective at chasing people. Like I consider it a joy to do battle with someone who is shortchanging me on something they are meant to do. I think it might be an academia thing tbh, as its just so inefficient, you'd never get anything done if you ever simply relied on people to do things.

Comment

About to start a course to be a certified designer in a metaverse. Its been some year.
                      This seems fascinating. 700 applicants, only 20 accepted, to be the only certified game designers (for now) for 160,000 plots of land that people have spent millions on some particular plots.

Comment

Comment

Lynn into 7/1, still massive outsider, but theres doubt in the market now. She was out to 16/1 a day after I felt I was clever snaggling my 10/1.

Comment

Most seats next general election.

4/7 SF, 13/8 FG, 10/1 FF.

Is there a case for FF at 10/1?
                            It really should be Sinn Fein obviously, but they'll be faced with the problem of having to run extra candidates and dividing constituencies to maximise the number of seats.
                            It's not something they have experience at, and to an extent it requires a bit of nerve. You go from having a one candidate strategy which in 2020 delivered them plenty of 'elected first count with a surplus' TDs to instead aiming to get say the 2nd and 4th seats in a constituency. Takes a lot of discipline to get candidates to stick to the canvassing split if they get a hint that their 'colleague' has an advantage. They may well end up winning 1 seat where they could win 2.

Given an election in 2024, FF will at least have the advantage of not having the sitting Taoiseach (Martin hands over to Varadkar next year) and presumably a shiny new leader as well.
                            Even with a terrible campaign in 2020 they still 'won'.
                            Before I opened it, I expected the market to be something like 8/11, 7/2, 7/2.

Comment

Italy on penalties @ 17/2.
                              I know it's mean spirited
                              but my god that'd be sweet.

Alternatively we could BBV 'em
                              if everyone backed ingurlund for €1.

Excluding Willy of course,
                              that fecker has form.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                Most seats next general election.

4/7 SF, 13/8 FG, 10/1 FF.

Is there a case for FF at 10/1?
                                It really should be Sinn Fein obviously, but they'll be faced with the problem of having to run extra candidates and dividing constituencies to maximise the number of seats.
                                It's not something they have experience at, and to an extent it requires a bit of nerve. You go from having a one candidate strategy which in 2020 delivered them plenty of 'elected first count with a surplus' TDs to instead aiming to get say the 2nd and 4th seats in a constituency. Takes a lot of discipline to get candidates to stick to the canvassing split if they get a hint that their 'colleague' has an advantage. They may well end up winning 1 seat where they could win 2.

Given an election in 2024, FF will at least have the advantage of not having the sitting Taoiseach (Martin hands over to Varadkar next year) and presumably a shiny new leader as well.
                                Even with a terrible campaign in 2020 they still 'won'.
                                Before I opened it, I expected the market to be something like 8/11, 7/2, 7/2.
                                10/1 does look overpriced and I suspect it's based on current polling which has them at record lows. We know there's definitely a 'shy FF voter' element out there and we have written them off before.
                                But who could replace Martin and get them a bump, especially in Dublin? I don't see anyone who looks like a leader.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not. But I'm brutally effective at chasing people. Like I consider it a joy to do battle with someone who is shortchanging me on something they are meant to do. I think it might be an academia thing tbh, as its just so inefficient, you'd never get anything done if you ever simply relied on people to do things.
                                  White van man only going to love you.
                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I worry he thinks this is like chasing students to deliver an essay, or getting Argos to stick to their agreed delivery time.
                                    He doesn't realise he will be up against complete professionals, people who through generations have honed their skills of procrastination, false reassurance and blatant lying.
                                    Day 1 when they drop off a load of pieces of scrap in his front garden (to claim the job as per the secret builder code) and head off saying they'll be back in the afternoon after they finish a job in an unspecified local street, not to be seen again for the best part of two months - that'll be a test of Hitch's claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The same Chinese guy?
                                      Read in Larry Davids voice.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

HH will be grand

Sure hasnt he proclaimed himself supreme leader in his metaverse. Currently designing a nifty bemedalled uniform to complement the title.

Comment

I worry he thinks this is like chasing students to deliver an essay, or getting Argos to stick to their agreed delivery time.
                                          He doesn't realise he will be up against complete professionals, people who through generations have honed their skills of procrastination, false reassurance and blatant lying.
                                          Day 1 when they drop off a load of pieces of scrap in his front garden (to claim the job as per the secret builder code) and head off saying they'll be back in the afternoon after they finish a job in an unspecified local street, not to be seen again for the best part of two months - that'll be a test of Hitch's claims.
                                          AJ more of this

Comment

3 lads killed on the N7 Apparently scumbag burglar gang who use crazy driving tactics to evade cops .

Tributes are a bit galling. Too good for this world etc

Same guy grabbed a 65 year old woman from her bed demanding cash. Poor families etc but sympathy is tempered by the fact that we night be better off without them terrorising people.

Comment

Looks like the migration over in the old place isn't going as planned or at least longer than expected. We should set up a technical services crack team of DP, 5star et al and dispatch them to save the day!

I'd imagine they're dealing with a massive dataset and a huge number of customizations that need to be migrated to the new platform. Great craic.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                3 lads killed on the N7 Apparently scumbag burglar gang who use crazy driving tactics to evade cops .

Same guy grabbed a 65 year old woman from her bed demanding cash. Poor families etc but sympathy is tempered by the fact that we night be better off without them terrorising people.
                                                Read that too. Hope the truck driver is ok.

Comment

Doesn't sound like a loss to society at all. Are the Darwin Awards still a thing?

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Double jabbed, party time!

As others have noted, it's very weird to be in a room full of people more or less exactly your own age.

A few startlingly old looking ones, one suspiciously youthful looking one and everyone else is all in that 'definitely not young but certainly not old' bracket.

Comment

As others have noted, it's very weird to be in a room full of people more or less exactly your own age.

A few startlingly old looking ones, one suspiciously youthful looking one and everyone else is all in that 'definitely not young but certainly not old' bracket.
                                                        Don't get too excited... I see in the news that you may need s 3rd jab in 6 months or so.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

It's not years that age you its life.

Comment

Comment

Er not sure they're all the same age attending these days, Shirley you'd have a mix of 1st timers and 2nd jabbers, plus any random mix of people who couldn't attend their allotted date etc?
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

'city end' is what, Ringsend\Irishtown?

Comment

'city end' is what, Ringsend\Irishtown?
                                                                  isn't that the shitty end?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Apart from the poor lorry driver it's a good news story.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Looks like Bacik will romp it on transfers anyway.

Comment

Guest, the EffEffer is running at 4% with 50% of the votes counted.

Granted there are the peculiar dynamics of a by-election at play but still...

Comment

Looks like Bacik will romp it on transfers anyway.
                                                                            How many times has she tried to get elected ? Did she get kicked in the face by a horse as a child ?

Comment

Incredibly low turnout. Looks like nobody really gives a fuck bar the political anoraks.

Comment

I feel you have no idea just how standard this behaviour is in Irish academia. To hire a research assistant for six weeks, I had perhaps 40-60 emails to get it arranged. Everyone promising at every turn that things would be done the next day. Builders are nothing compared to academic scuivvers (sic).

Comment

Incredibly low turnout. Looks like nobody really gives a fuck bar the political anoraks.
                                                                                  HH's early dreams of sweet, sweet SF cash look to be dashed anyway.

Bacik is a 1/20 shot now anyhow as transfers will break overwhelmingly for her

Comment

@HH, what price was Bacik when you were concocting your bet? Must admit I never even thought to glance at the market mysef.

Comment

You can invest money in a pension arrangement and get no immediate tax relief. You can claim tax relief in the future on future taxed income. So throw in a lump sum and get tax free growth from day one and claim the tax relief against other future taxable income.

However, I wouldn't put money in and not claim income tax relief unless I wasn't going to pay income tax on the way out.

Say I'm already maxing my AVCs and pension contributions on my taxable income and I'm going to continue to do so. Then it's pretty unlikely I'd throw in an extra 50k and never claim the tax relief because ultimately i have to pay tax on the income drawn down from a pension so that extra 50k plus growth would ultimately be subject to my marginal income tax rate in retirement and if I'm paying income tax at that stage, I'm effectively volunteering income tax on what was originally non taxable income.
                                                                                      Just to play with some numbers here for fun.
                                                                                      If you invest 50k for 32 years in a pension @7% average return you would get €435,763.54, then you minus tax at your rate, worst case scenario is you are being taxed 52% on all of that ending at €209,166.49, obviously you end up with way more if you are not balling in retirement with a massive pension. How much here will depend on a lot of things for the individual.

If instead you traditionally invested in ETFs with deemed disposal for this length of time you would end up with €205,400.85 and that is not too different to the "worst" case scenario of having it in a pension, so I guess it depends on return, length until retirement, how much is in your pension and so forth. Interesting to do but for me I guess the money has more utility when kept outside of the pension if taxed at highest rates and better in if not.
                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-07-21, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

More good videos on the IT.
                                                                                        Cahill :"Would your mother be proud of you?" Garda : "My mother would be absolutely ecstatic".
                                                                                        "Do you know if you restrict someone it's actually rape under the law?"

Dublin Bay South by-election candidate Dolores Cahill was refused entry to the count centre after she refused to wear a mask. Video: Enda O'Dowd

Comment

watched "the serpent" yesterday on netflix. would recommend. Loved the 70s vibes and the music was excellent, although the French and quebeccois accents of the 2 main protagonists were all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                            watched "the serpent" yesterday on netflix. would recommend. Loved the 70s vibes and the music was excellent, although the French and quebeccois accents of the 2 main protagonists were all wrong.
                                                                                            Last edited by Micknail; 09-07-21, 11:49.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

@HH, what price was Bacik when you were concocting your bet? Must admit I never even thought to glance at the market mysef.
                                                                                              Think she was @ 6/5 with FG lad at 10/11 or about those marks

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Think she was @ 6/5 with FG lad at 10/11 or about those marks
                                                                                                yeah, was around that.

Comment

A or B guys - gut instinct?

Currently 625k for here or 575k for here.

Edit: link fixed
                                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 09-07-21, 12:23.

Comment

can't see A. need to register with sherry fitz. do you have the myhome or daft link?

edit: never mind. found it
                                                                                                    Last edited by shrapnel; 09-07-21, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

If you invest 50k for 32 years in a pension @7% average return you would get €435,763.54, then you minus tax at your rate, worst case scenario is you are being taxed 52% on all of that ending at €209,166.49, obviously you end up with way more if you are not balling in retirement with a massive pension. How much here will depend on a lot of things for the individual.

If instead you traditionally invested in ETFs with deemed disposal for this length of time you would end up with €205,400.85 and that is not too different to the "worst" case scenario of having it in a pension, so I guess it depends on return, length until retirement, how much is in your pension and so forth. Interesting to do but for me I guess the money has more utility when kept outside of the pension if taxed at highest rates and better in if not.
                                                                                                      Are you factoring in the 1.6m capital?
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

can't see A. need to register with sherry fitz. do you have the myhome or daft link?
                                                                                                        whoops:

Comment

There's a semi-decent chance you might not end up living in Ireland, which is worth factoring in, in terms of which offers more flexibility and tax advantages if you move country (probably the ETF?).

Comment

definitely number 1 by a country mile. potential is great and location is fantastic.

Comment

With 100k of earnings today… you can either…

invest 92k (net of USC) at 7% for 32years = 801k or 449k (after Income tax)

or

invest 48k at 7% for 32 years = 418k, pay 41% GRU = €246k.

not certain of the exacts but V will correct

Comment

A

Comment

Of those two I much prefer #1, seeing BER F on places is sickening though, warmer outside than in. Cost a lot to bring that up I imagine.

Yeah for me the non-pension route is better.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-07-21, 12:37.

Comment

definitely number 1 by a country mile. potential is great and location is fantastic.
                                                                                                                    This

Comment

Ah cool. I was getting a bit carried away with A (we're the top bidders for both places), but it does seem quite perfect. Lovely neighbourhood. Might end up going for 800k you never know, although it last sold for 535k in 2015 so *maybe* that will anchor prices.

Comment

Kudus for fixing the site, it feels much better

Comment

Ah cool. I was getting a bit carried away with A (we're the top bidders for both places), but it does seem quite perfect. Lovely neighbourhood. Might end up going for 800k you never know, although it last sold for 535k in 2015 so *maybe* that will anchor prices.
                                                                                                                          the 2nd one is also on the small side. 82 square metres isn't much tbh. it'll feel a lot smaller as the kids grow up. and you're a bit close to the M50. you may have permanent white noise in the background

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X