Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely wouldn't be going for a J&J compared to Pfizer. Delta seems to be eating through the lesser-protected, so may as well get the proper jab. But that's personal risk aversion.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Got my booking for the driving test on July 20th. Highly exciting. My big huge awful issue is that after many attempts I still can't reverse around corners. Just can't get my head around the concept of reversing and what the directions mean. Still have eight hours of extra lessons to go before the 20th, so hopefully it'll all click at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Got my booking for the driving test on July 20th. Highly exciting. My big huge awful issue is that after many attempts I still can't reverse around corners. Just can't get my head around the concept of reversing and what the directions mean. Still have eight hours of extra lessons to go before the 20th, so hopefully it'll all click at some point!
        Why you cant get up off the seat and throw your arm behind the seat and get a good look at your direction of travel is beyond me, thats how they teach advanced drivers.

Best of luck anyway !
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Just had my 2nd jab. From parking the car in UCD to fully vaccinated in less than 5 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
            Just had my 2nd jab. From parking the car in UCD to fully vaccinated in less than 5 minutes!
            I can beat that. In 1994 from parking my car in Dolphins Barn I was fully jabbed in 50 seconds .

Comment

Finding the path to vegetarianism a difficult one. Mainly as my kids leave food that is untouched and edible . On the road from Galway I had a veggie burger and it was delish, I know it's not exactly healthy but it wasnt meat and did the fast food road trip indulgence job perfectly. Burger King how are ya.

Comment

Could just do one of the lessons solely focused on reversing around corners? Would cure you of it I imagine. Are you doing it in churchtown or dun laoghaire?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                  Had my first one in UCD the other day, same experience. Vastly different to what my other half had to deal with at Aviva. (didn't know UCD was an option until after she'd had her first one)

Comment

Apart from my driving test I dont think I've ever had to reverse around a corner. Must be a Northside thing

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Could just do one of the lessons solely focused on reversing around corners? Would cure you of it I imagine. Are you doing it in churchtown or dun laoghaire?
                      Might have to do a lesson just on it! Dun Laoghaire. It's mad how the lessons are all on the suspected routes, so you can have objectively terrible drivers but who are all perfect on the particular DL routes and everywhere is just a trail of learners.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Corking day out there for the 4th of July unofficial holiday for employees of US companies
                        I'm getting some real work done without any interruptions. It's actually quite pleasant.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                          Apart from my driving test I dont think I've ever had to reverse around a corner. Must be a Northside thing
                          never met another car on a narrow country lane and had to reverse out of it?
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The startup the wife is working for is being acquired by a large company and it feels like Christmas with all the goodies that come with large companies compared to startups. Health insurance! Pension! A BIKE-TO-WORK SCHEME! SICK LEAVE!

Comment

Might have to do a lesson just on it! Dun Laoghaire. It's mad how the lessons are all on the suspected routes, so you can have objectively terrible drivers but who are all perfect on the particular DL routes and everywhere is just a trail of learners.
                              Imagine being perfect on a specific test route is going to leave you pretty well equipped for most situations as they're 'supposed' to have enough options to include stuff you'll barely use....like reversing around corners

Comment

The startup the wife is working for is being acquired by a large company and it feels like Christmas with all the goodies that come with large companies compared to startups. Health insurance! Pension! A BIKE-TO-WORK SCHEME! SICK LEAVE!
                                BUREAUCRACY! MICRO MANAGERS! POINTLESS MEETINGS! CRUSHING YOUR WILL TO LIVE!

oh

Comment

BUREAUCRACY! MICRO MANAGERS! POINTLESS MEETINGS! CRUSHING YOUR WILL TO LIVE!

oh
                                  There was a few smirks at the fact the company policy mentions a (very staid) dress code. Actually it was one of the reasons they negotiated to not join the company office in the IFSC but to remain in dogpatch. Mentioning the type of footwear that is allowed in a company that sees no outsiders seems a decent sign of a dodgy workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

2 birdies and 2 pars off 24 on a championship course. Definitely another case of el bandito .

I played Moate last week (easier slope than my home place). I shot 109 and lost 7 balls. The next day I played at home and shot 93 for 33 points. The game is a mystery to me.

Playing Esker Hills next week with the work golf soc. I believe it's mean to be a challenging enough course with a bunch of blind shots so looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

2 birdies and 2 pars off 24 on a championship course. Definitely another case of el bandito .

I played Moate last week (easier slope than my home place). I shot 109 and lost 7 balls. The next day I played at home and shot 93 for 33 points. The game is a mystery to me.

Playing Esker Hills next week with the work golf soc. I believe it's mean to be a challenging enough course with a bunch of blind shots so looking forward to it.
                                      Ha! i've only a handful of birdies on my own course so getting 2 on the brabazon was quite a surprise!! i was striking my 5 fairway wood so sweetly and getting on the green from 185 yards quite regularly, and my putter was on fire. Both birdies were putts from between 15 to 30 feet (had another 2 chances for more birdies), and only 3 putt three times over the 18 holes. I really need to get rid of my triple bogeys and over (about 5 per round) though.

Comment

Finally got to the Belfry this weekend and played the magical brabazon. Had only ever seen it on TV, and it was the first ever "famous" course i would play so was really looking forward to it, with an equal measure of apprehension and excitement. Started in the worst possible manner, with a topped tee shot straight into the rough 50 yards away, then took me another 2 shots to get out of that stuff and ended up with a miserable 8 on the 1st. definitely not the way i'd imagined it. Got my shit together and just decided to enjoy the course. Ended up with a net par round of 72 including 2 birdies and 2 pars so was very happy with my day. Weather forecast for the day had been rain rain rain, but incredibly we got sunshine the whole way round except for a massive vicious hail storm towards the end of the round which lasted 10 minutes and was gone just as quickly.

After the golf, we headed back to the bar for a quick drink, as we'd made dinner reservations for 830. Enjoyed a quick pint before heading up to get changed. The bar at that stage was already full and as you can imagine got very loud come saturday night and the football. We weren't too bothered about the football especially seeing how crowded the bar was, and headed to the restaurant where we were the only guys there surrounded by 200 cackling hens, all seemingly from Birmingham or the surroundings. Had a lovely meal, a few bottles of wine, digestif etc. before heading off to the bar for one night cap, but all the bars were even more jammed, so we ordered our drinks and headed back up to the rooms where we turned on the football highlights.

got up early the next day for a good breakfast before heading off to play the derby. Decent course but really nothing special especially after having played the brabazon. Nonetheless was a lovely round of golf, and shot a net 72, which is 2 over par. Again the forecast was for rain the whole morning and it was tipping down whilst we were having breakfast, but once on the course, barely a drop of rain and a decent amount of sunshine. we definitely got very lucky there!

Headed back to the bar for lunch and a few pints. Place was rammed again and service was incredibly slow. No doubt they'd love all those young foreign service industry workers to come back and help out as all the staff we spoke to were young ones from Birmingham. not a single Polish, Spanish, French amongst them.

we had a few hours to kill before our train, so sat outside in the sun enjoying a few more pints, watching people tee off the first, whilst the place slowly emptied out of its weekend crowds.

All in all a lovely weekend. Golf is relatively new to me but that was so much fun and playing a course like the brabazon felt incredibly special, so can't wait to play that one again and plenty of others. However If i were to go back there, or organise another golf weekend, i'd definitely do a sunday/monday trip to avoid the weekend crowds as it was just too busy for my liking.
                                        So jealous.

Awesome stuff. Great shooting. How did you manage this? Just a random trip organized yourself or a stay and play type thing?

Speaking of hail, we for big hail here on Saturday and it tore up a bunch of my home course greens. Surprising how much damage hail can do. Even some of the fairways were borked.

Club champs is about 3 weeks away so we’ve a bit of time to get er back but it was pretty gnarly.
                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I'd imagine it's to test your spatial awareness rather than to prep you for actually reversing around a corner.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Had a mad situation this morning.

Wife asked me to go around the corner and pick up 3x chest of drawers, a girl had put them up on the local Facebook.

Turned out the girl is her in law relation. I met her before but don't know her.

Anyway I went around there and followed her up to the third floor to see about how to get them down.

Decided to take all the drawers out and take them down first.

So she's chatting away to me, helping me take the drawers out.

How's your kids, what age are they etc etc.

So I'm having this small talk with her while both of us are taking these drawers apart.

I open one of them to slide out and there's an opened box of Johnnies in it.

Foook. I started sweating. Slammed it shut while I thought of what to do.

She's yapping away to me and I can't hear anything.

Knew this was going to either be hilarious or totally mortifying for both of us.

Figured the latter was most likely.

I opened and closed it three or four times trying to figure out what to do. She wouldn't turn out of the way.

Eventually she did and I whipped them out and hid them under a drawer.

'eh, I'll just head down with this one'

Had to walk out with the drawer angled away from her eyes, but managed it.

Sweat.

Anyway, free Johnnies for anyone that wants them.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ha! i've only a handful of birdies on my own course so getting 2 on the brabazon was quite a surprise!! i was striking my 5 fairway wood so sweetly and getting on the green from 185 yards quite regularly, and my putter was on fire. Both birdies were putts from between 15 to 30 feet (had another 2 chances for more birdies), and only 3 putt three times over the 18 holes. I really need to get rid of my triple bogeys and over (about 5 per round) though.
                                              Havent been on a Golf Course since about 2012 but bringing clubs to Dingle next week as lad down there has the bug. Better stock up on balls

Comment

Finding the path to vegetarianism a difficult one. Mainly as my kids leave food that is untouched and edible . On the road from Galway I had a veggie burger and it was delish, I know it's not exactly healthy but it wasnt meat and did the fast food road trip indulgence job perfectly. Burger King how are ya.
                                                I went pescetarian a good while ago, it's a decent attempt at 'de-meating' your diet at the start anyway.

Tar incoming to tell me I'm still a murderer.
                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Was in dublin two weeks ago, can confirm that is exactly the case.
                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

So jealous.

Awesome stuff. Great shooting. How did you manage this? Just a random trip organized yourself or a stay and play type thing?

Speaking of hail, we for big hail here on Saturday and it tore up a bunch of my home course greens. Surprising how much damage hail can do. Even some of the fairways were borked.

Club champs is about 3 weeks away so we’ve a bit of time to get er back but it was pretty gnarly.
                                                    cheers man. thankfully the hail was on the small side, so not much chance for damage but have seen the bigger stuff do proper damage at my golf club. We organised the trip ourselves but plenty of packages available for 1 night B&B, 2 rounds of golf.

already looking at other courses/resorts to play in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations, i'd love to hear them. East sussex national high on my list

Comment

cheers man. thankfully the hail was on the small side, so not much chance for damage but have seen the bigger stuff do proper damage at my golf club. We organised the trip ourselves but plenty of packages available for 1 night B&B, 2 rounds of golf.

already looking at other courses/resorts to play in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations, i'd love to hear them. East sussex national high on my list
                                                      What’s the damage for a round at the Belfry?

There’s prob one, and it’s arguable, Bucket List course here, Banff Springs and it’s 275CAD a round.

Then any of the bucket list courses in the states are 300-500USD.

There’s talk of our club organizing a trip to Bandon Dunes this October (was supposed to be last year but the vid cancelled it).

It’s 5k a man for:
                                                      Chartered flight from Calgary to North Bend.
                                                      Transfer to Bandon.
                                                      Wind up dinner.
                                                      4 nights accom.
                                                      5 rounds of golf (play all the Bandon Dunes courses)

Doesn’t include other food, caddy or drink.

Expensive game.
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Why you cant get up off the seat and throw your arm behind the seat and get a good look at your direction of travel is beyond me, thats how they teach advanced drivers.

Best of luck anyway !
                                                        I personally really dislike reversing this way. I'm a pretty good reverser anyhow, and almost always just use my mirrors. If there is a need to I might take a look over my shoulder but not while reversing, and just use the mirrors for that.

Comment

Yeah yer right . That's been a thing only as recently as last week on route to anchor beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

What’s the damage for a round at the Belfry?

There’s prob one, and it’s arguable, Bucket List course here, Banff Springs and it’s 275CAD a round.

Then any of the bucket list courses in the states are 300-500USD.

There’s talk of our club organizing a trip to Bandon Dunes this October (was supposed to be last year but the vid cancelled it).

It’s 5k a man for:
                                                            Chartered flight from Calgary to North Bend.
                                                            Transfer to Bandon.
                                                            Wind up dinner.
                                                            4 nights accom.
                                                            5 rounds of golf (play all the Bandon Dunes courses)

Doesn’t include other food, caddy or drink.

Expensive game.
                                                            that's a serious golf trip!!

not sure what a round costs on its own but our package cost £269 per person

Comment

Ive had 2 Aces on 2 different holes in city west. The remarkable thing is I miss the actual greens mostly. I'm surely no.1 in the world for aces to greens in regulation.

Comment

Just sent off the application to switch mortgage to Avant at 1.95%.

Would be quite the differential from the current 2.75% with AIB.

Comment

Do you reckon the AIB variable should drop in the coming months maybe?
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Do you reckon the AIB variable should drop in the coming months maybe?
                                                                    Can't see what the driver would be - not like the sector is getting more competitive (the opposite is true). And then if inflation is actually truly no dead, interest rates may well start edging up from zero again at some point....happy to lock in for a few years at 1.95% while we focus on this building job!

Comment

Detest links golf. Can understand the fascination with it. A nice park-land course like Mount Juliet so much more enjoyable for me.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ive had 2 Aces on 2 different holes in city west. The remarkable thing is I miss the actual greens mostly. I'm surely no.1 in the world for aces to greens in regulation.
                                                                        i played the captains weekend tournament a couple of weeks ago. probably the biggest event of the year and most people sign up. it's a 2 day event and a massive piss up. was out till 3 am on friday with a tee time on saturday (and sunday ) of 746 am. the captain decides the pin placements and anyone shooting net 65 or under gets 20 quid from the captain directly. only 3 people achieved it. i finished overall about 27th with a 74 and a 77. not great but was my first tournament.
                                                                        Anyway all this to say that our 18th is a par 3, 200 to 210 yards and straight up to the golf house, and if you get a hole in one there on the weekend you would win a mini cooper. no one won it this year . probably need to sell it anyway to settle the bar bill as the place was pretty busy! it also got pretty messy with lots of gambling going on as to who can hit a par 3 from the bar terrace, over the mini and onto the green. only one person made it but a few fell off the wall and got injured!!

It's a pretty fun club tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          Detest links golf. Can understand the fascination with it. A nice park-land course like Mount Juliet so much more enjoyable for me.
                                                                          i think it's great to see professionals tackle links courses but as a shitty amateur that rough and those pot bunkers just take all the fun out of the game.

Comment

11th July- Moderna - Citywest.
                                                                            Jab one booked
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Whats with all these orange stupendous account ratings? Make IPB great again.

I've only played links, absolutely love it but don't know what the others are like. Love bunkers! There was nothing better than a summers day and a few hours practicing shots out of bunkers, and getting some spin on those pro V's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                One more round is showing in the IFI at the moment, I highly recommend it. Mars Mikkelsen's gives a great performance with a plot that will resonate with most people here: "Four high school teachers consume alcohol on a daily basis to see how it affects their social and professional lives."
                                                                                Just out of it now. Top movie! Class looking trailer on truffle hunting showing also.

Comment

2.75% is outright robbery. We'll probably pay more as 90%-mortgagers, but they've some balls trying to charge someone in your position that. Finance Ireland are cheap also and you've the advantage of a lifetime fixed rate. Removes a niggling small doubt that inflation and therefore interest rates *might* go through the roof.

Comment

2.75% is outright robbery. We'll probably pay more as 90%-mortgagers, but they've some balls trying to charge someone in your position that. Finance Ireland are cheap also and you've the advantage of a lifetime fixed rate. Removes a niggling small doubt that inflation and therefore interest rates *might* go through the roof.
                                                                                    1.29% here for the next 2 years off about 70% LTV. Goes down to just over 1.09% for 60% LTV. Gut feeling though that interest rates will start rising in that time period.

Comment

1.29% here for the next 2 years off about 70% LTV. Goes down to just over 1.09% for 60% LTV. Gut feeling though that interest rates will start rising in that time period.
                                                                                      Yeah, inflation might be mad and so they might be forced to raise rates, despite how unpopular it would be. But those are some rates. Jaysus. 1.29%!

Comment

Going for a 7 year fix - Avant also allow you to pay off 10% p.a. with no penalty which is quite attractive.

Comment

I've played TheEuropean before it went sky high and a few other links . Fab course hoping for Ballybunion this year. Loved Rosses Point. Maybe being a strictly recreational golfer means I absorb the vista more then the more serious golfers who just see hazards and deep rough. LINKS are just more memorable to me . I had a fake hole in one in Murvagh. All high fives on the teebox but it was an optical illusion. There was a rise 5 YARDS before the hole. The ball rolled behing it directly in line with the hole. Ended up with bogey met an old West Ham defender in the clubhouse. The name escapes me. Big lad , played in the late 80s .

Comment

Going for a 7 year fix - Avant also allow you to pay off 10% p.a. with no penalty which is quite attractive.
                                                                                            That sounds perfect.

Comment

I can't believe that's still a thing! Always remember my driving instructor telling me it would be an illegal maneuver in most countries, and that was about 16 years ago. I had assumed it would be long gone in place of some sort of parallel park/reverse park back at the driving centre?

Any mate that could just take you out for a couple of evenings of reversing in an empty/ish car park? I'd offer myself if I owned a car!!It should come to you over the lessons if not.
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... Has Mrs Hitch managed to snaffle a vaccine appointment?
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Make sure to keep us updated on the progress re red tape, process, etc. It's something I'll be looking to do in the not too distant future.

Comment

Yeah, inflation might be mad and so they might be forced to raise rates, despite how unpopular it would be. But those are some rates. Jaysus. 1.29%!
                                                                                                    1.1% with BOI - constantly looking out for snipers

Comment

tracker?!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                        Hitchhiker's Guide To... Has Mrs Hitch managed to snaffle a vaccine appointment?
                                                                                                        nah, she's 31, which has turned out to be far too young for anyone to care about.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

I can't believe that's still a thing! Always remember my driving instructor telling me it would be an illegal maneuver in most countries, and that was about 16 years ago. I had assumed it would be long gone in place of some sort of parallel park/reverse park back at the driving centre?

Any mate that could just take you out for a couple of evenings of reversing in an empty/ish car park? I'd offer myself if I owned a car!!It should come to you over the lessons if not.
                                                                                                          I'm thinking of asking my younger sister who recently got her licence, as she'll have all the lessons in her head. Is there an insurance issue for her if I was to do something stupid?

Comment

I'm thinking of asking my younger sister who recently got her licence, as she'll have all the lessons in her head. Is there an insurance issue for her if I was to do something stupid?
                                                                                                            Not sure, probably. But id say most people do it. I learned the basics in a car park before i had a licence. An empty car park and reverse into an empty space a few times away from walls/bollards not much can go wrong?

if you really wanted to be above board she can likely call her insurance and stick you on it for a day, have done that before with friends/familys cars
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Not sure, probably. But id say most people do it. I learned the basics in a car park before i had a licence. An empty car park and reverse into an empty space a few times away from walls/bollards not much can go wrong?

if you really wanted to be above board she can likely call her insurance and stick you on it for a day, have done that before with friends/familys cars
                                                                                                              Oh it is a thing. Thank you, I had no idea!

Comment

tracker?!
                                                                                                                Yeah. Seems decent but sure what do i know.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Solution to the driving test right here

SPOILER

Comment

I mean, Jesus Christ you go backwards, turn the wheel a bit then maintain a constant radius from the kerb.

Just get a full race sim setup going with gran turismo 5 and learn the racing line around corners etc, that will impress the tester a lot more.
                                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Make sure to keep us updated on the progress re red tape, process, etc. It's something I'll be looking to do in the not too distant future.
                                                                                                                      Will do. Yesterday was stage 1 - getting docs over to broker.
                                                                                                                      He seemed very confident based on initial comms, we are probably a perfect match for what they want anyway.

Comment

My bro was saying his friend switches mortgage every three years like clockwork. Or has done a few times anyway.

Comment

My bro was saying his friend switches mortgage every three years like clockwork. Or has done a few times anyway.
                                                                                                                          We just switched from PTSB (3.25%) to KBC (2.35% fixed for 3 years). Got paid a handy 3K sweetener to do so. Process was fairly painless once we bought a printer and could print off the docs they required at will. There's the initial tranche of docs then they'll ask for updates on pay etc... as the process proceeds.

Broker arranged it, didn't have to pay him anything, the bank sorts that out. Probably less than 6 man hours in total between the both of us over 2-3 months to save e200 per month and the 3K more than covers the fees involved.

Overall highly recommended if you fit the profile - owner occupier, requisite LTV etc... The only reason it took us so long was years of negative equity having bought at the height of the boom.

The biggest surprise to me was that my mortgage protection insurance halved (same broker arranged that too). Was getting fucked by Irish Life for years as my profile had changed for the positive but inertia meant I never bothered to try and update it.

If we haven't bought a new place (and thus renting out our current home) by the time the three years is up I'll definitely be going for a lower rate again. Will use same broker etc...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X